Oilers acquire Mark Fraser from Toronto

Jonathan Willis
January 31 2014 09:06AM

TSN's Darren Dreger reports that the Oilers have added some size to their blue line, adding Mark Fraser from Toronto.

What The Oilers Sent Away

The players going the other way in the deal were both outside of the organization's plans, so the cost on this isn't especially dear.

Teemu Hartikainen is having a pretty good season in Russia and has to be the guy the Leafs were interested in on this deal. He's a big winger with some skill who couldn't do much in 23 NHL games last season with the Oilers; he wasn't interested in staying in the organization on a two-way deal and so he went off to Russia. I've been told down the line that this isn't a player that Edmonton really had plans for, but that doesn't mean he might not break out with the Leafs. 

Cameron Abney, the other guy in the trade, has negative value; he's an ECHL enforcer taking up a spot on Edmonton's 50-man list. In the Oilers' organization he was passed as a player by Erick Lizon (currently with the CHL's Wichita Thunder). 

What the Oilers Added

Everybody hoping Edmonton would add a big, physical defenceman for the third pair got their wish today.

Fraser is listed at 6'4", 220 pounds. He has had three fights in the NHL this season; last year he had nine fights in the majors and eight in the AHL. He's a stay-at-home defenceman who plays a throwback style; the new Theo Peckham on Edmonton's blue line. 

As for what he is as a player? Theo Peckham isn't far-off as a comparison there, either. Fraser has struggled badly this year, with regular partners Paul Ranger and Morgan Rielly both faring better without him than with him. Of interest, though, is the way he and Cody Franson played together last season, and the way his regular partners in New Jersey (primarily Andy Greene and Johnny Oduya) played with and without him. He has had a measure of success in the NHL before, even if he isn't enjoying that this season.

For the time being the pending unrestricted free agent can provide the Oilers with physical play in the six/seven slot and provide the Oilers with a warm body if they choose to move other free agents like Anton Belov or Nick Schultz or Corey Potterat the deadline. He has familiarity with Dallas Eakins from time spent with the Marlies, so he should slot in to the Oilers system with relative ease, and his skillset is a nice fit alongside any of Potter, Philip Larsen or Taylor Fedun on that bottom pair.

This is a small trade, but it adds a dimension the Oilers were lacking at the cost of players the team didn't really care about anyway. The player with the most potential to be an NHL difference-maker went to Toronto, but Hartikainen wasn't going to be that guy in Edmonton and the trade market for 'tweeners who want one-way deals isn't as robust as it could be. 

Update - via @Steve_Dangle of Leafs Nation comes this Hockey Night in Canada segment on Fraser:

Additionally, Jeff Veillette - who covered Fraser in person when Fraser played for the AHL's Toronto Marlies - wrote a piece on the trade for Leafs Nation.

Recently by Jonathan Willis

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, Sportsnet, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#201 james_dean
January 31 2014, 11:04PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
@Oilanderp wrote:

All I can say is, everyone here needs to get a fkn job. 6 pages of comments on a tweener addition?

Crazy fools, get jobs!

Insanity! Let it go! Goose Fra Baaaaa!

Work is overrated.

Avatar
#202 Chainsawz
February 01 2014, 12:09AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

@Shaner

Yo Shaner, keep your comments less words than the actual blog.

Avatar
#203 slats
February 01 2014, 01:07AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

People who are for the trade seem to think it was a MacT trade but I think this is an Eakins trade no?

Sure he's a UFA but he's having a crap season and would probably get a crap offer or worse a 2-way deal from the Centre of Universe Leafs.

So what we get is a Coach who convinces Mac T (and 6 Rings) with something like this: "Heh Gents get me Fraser for these spare parts we have no need for its low risk for us and let me get Mark Fraser back to being a good stay out home d-man. I will cut him loose on anyone taking runs at 4,93,14 - he has the green light to play nasty and mean."

A move that gets us to the promise land ....No. But another piece, some more progress and not a lot of risk.

Good move Coach . . .

Avatar
#204 MessyEH
February 01 2014, 06:26AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

300 posts over a nothing trade?

Avatar
#205 Zangetsu
February 01 2014, 10:46AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

I just can't get over how intelligent the oilers organization is. The Marlies are the best AHL team there ever was. Easily better than Half The NHL. The only reason the players were on the farm is that Toronto has been such a powerhouse over the last decade. These players have really started to make a huge impact on the oilers roster now.

Avatar
#206 Still Hopeful
February 02 2014, 01:33PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Hemmercules wrote:

I don't understand the MacT hate. The guy took on a last place team of smurfs 6 months ago from a passive GM. He added Ference, Gordon, Perron, Scrivens, Brysgalov, Belov, Hendricks and now Fraser. Tried to get Bernier, Schneider, Clarkson and probably others in trade attempts we never heard about. He shipped out some underachievers in Duby, Paajarvi and Smid.

The guy is active, more so than most GM's out there as far as I can see. Not all moves will be great, not all will work out, but the guy is trying.

I seems to me a lot of people think its as easy as calling up GM's and demanding they trade their great players to us for our junk. Not gonna happen.

I want playoffs next year as much as anyone but it likely wont happen that fast. Tambloweini's team will take time to correct and I think MacT has the potential to do it.

All Mac - T has done is trade 4 liners and nobody's for 4th liners or nobodies. You could put the 4th line of the Oilers on any NHL team and their record and standings would not change.

It is the first 3 lines and the top 4 D, that make the difference.

It is called ICE Time.

The reason no free agent will come here is because the Oilers have the worst management team and record to show for that in the league. The players know this, the agents (who know more inside information than the players) also know this. If I were an agent, would I give advice for any of my players to go to the worst team in the league over the past 14 years who have the same management or choose another team for the same salary.

People, use your heads. This is Lowe's team. He has been in charge of everything since he took over as GM and has been involved in every decision with the GM who he has hired since. The Oilers are going nowhere until Lowe, Mac-T, et. all are gone.

Avatar
#207 Mikey
January 31 2014, 10:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
29
cheers

Guy look at the facts before you start spouting off about EDM not signing Fistric.

ANA only signed him after Sourary went down for the year. Then he couldn't crack the roster until another injury happened. He has only played 28 games so far, averaging 14min a night.

Avatar
#208 NJ
January 31 2014, 10:31AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
23
cheers

The signing won't hurt us and freed up a contract.

Re: Fistric love. Quit kidding yourselves. MF is a number 8 d man. If I recall he's played 26 games this year while leading the Ducks In hits. Big tough yes. But only resigned because the cap is going UP. We don't need him here. Why? Because they're everywere.

Case and point? Fraser.

Avatar
#209 Stack Pad Save
January 31 2014, 10:37AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
YEGFan wrote:

Is anybody surprised that the league's worst defense isn't all that small?

Yah, but they all play like they are 5'2 most of the time. Belov occassionaly throws a hit, but never in front of his own net where it matters the most. Marincin is a bean pole still, the Schultz's are the defense sisters and Petry plays physical only when he knows no one on the other team will push back. The Oilers need a guy in the top 2 who is going to play physical.

Avatar
#210 Rocknrolla
January 31 2014, 11:06AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
19
cheers
Jonathan Willis wrote:

And while we're at it: if anything, the fact that the Oilers could add a cheaper Fraser for basically nothing graphically demonstrates how silly they would have been to give Fistric $2 million/year.

Plus Fraser actually fights! I like it...we gave up nothing and can try out a potential piece to add toughness. 25 games and see what his injuries are like.

Also with Hendricks out, it's nice to have some more toughness. 15 mins more a night.

Avatar
#211 Oasis
January 31 2014, 11:15AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
NJ wrote:

The signing won't hurt us and freed up a contract.

Re: Fistric love. Quit kidding yourselves. MF is a number 8 d man. If I recall he's played 26 games this year while leading the Ducks In hits. Big tough yes. But only resigned because the cap is going UP. We don't need him here. Why? Because they're everywere.

Case and point? Fraser.

While not being bold, this is a reasonable move.

Add a little toughness which is always good. He can be resigned or walk away after the season is over. At 1.25m he is cheaper than Fistric and if Harty was never in our plans then we didn't really give up anything.

But at some point we need some big meaningful trades rather than the constant shuffling of the deck chairs by picking up 4th line forwards and 7/8 D-men. I expect the major changes to take place in the summer.

Avatar
#212 Lochenzo
January 31 2014, 11:16AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

You're right that this is a move with an eye to trade deadline. Add a dman now and you'll probably see some guys get moved later for picks to replace some of the picks that were traded away away earlier in the year.

Avatar
#213 Rocknrolla
January 31 2014, 11:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
18
cheers
Czar wrote:

The Oilers got a D-man who's willing to drop the mitts for spare parts, what's not to like?

Oiler's get tougher and still everyone complains? Wait until he bitch slaps a Canuck or Flame! Or he steps in when someone's taking liberties with one of the kids,maybe then you might come around.

I agree, not having a tough d-man on the ice has hurt us. The nice thing about tough D is that they are on the ice while the kids are out there.

How often is Gazdic out with Hall or Yak?

I remember saying when we had Andy Sutton that it was nice to have him there with the kids, and since losing him and Fistric, there was no real toughness on the D. Petry or Belov are not gonna go protect our kids. This guy will.

Me likey.

Avatar
#214 Will
January 31 2014, 11:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Joe Mamma wrote:

This is a perfect example of not being able to please all of the people all of the time. This was a solid hockey move that cost us nothing guys. We traded a failing prospect and an overated one unwilling to accept his lot in life, for a roster player that fills a need. The vortex of negativity in this town is unstoppable, and getting old. Is this the big move we need? No. But it's still a good pickup.

Sometimes I think Oiler fans could do well to remember that the only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. We all agree that there are a multitude of issues with this club. Well, one of them was a lack of big, rugged, stay at home type dmen in the rotation. This is a good start to addressing it.

MacT has been VERY active, most of his pickups have been solid, and I doubt he's done. I'll take that over Mr. Dithers any day. I was pretty dubious when they announced him as GM, but he is definitely winning me over.

Completely agree. Moreover, this might just be kind of a Manager deal. I can maybe see Nonis calling up MacT and saying hey, we need to offload some salary, we can take contracts back in return. Edmonton gets another bottom pairing guy at zero risk, and the Leafs maybe get enough cap room to either get something at the deadline, or get what's his name off injured reserve.

Fraser somehow in 48 games last year had 8 points and was plus 18. That is crazy. Who was he playing with on the leafs of all teams to have plus 18 in 46 games played? If that's the type of stay at home guy we are getting and can sign for reasonable dollars (see not Mark Fistric), that's great.

Oilers needed a veteran stay at home number 5/6 guy who shoot left to play with our more offensive guys. I wanted Orpik to play on the second pairing with J Schultz, but who knows.

Finally, for everyone wondering about Fedune, or this guy or that guy, well Fraser is a UFA at year's end so it's yet another no risk move for a bottom pairing guy. Either he plays good and we might resign him, or he doesn't and we don't.

Avatar
#215 Oasis
January 31 2014, 11:20AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@Oasis

Never got to page 2 of the comments and just saw Zarney's #60. Sorry for the repost.

Avatar
#216 Czar
January 31 2014, 11:28AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers

@Rocknrolla

I'm with ya dude! Like him or not, Sutton kept the other team honest. Whether it was his size or elbows who cares, we missed that big time in our line up. @michael. 2 thumbs up!

Avatar
#217 Spydyr
January 31 2014, 11:31AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers
Czar wrote:

I'm with ya dude! Like him or not, Sutton kept the other team honest. Whether it was his size or elbows who cares, we missed that big time in our line up. @michael. 2 thumbs up!

Anyone that makes the Oilers harder to play against works for me.They have been the softest team in the NHL for far too long and it shows in their record.

Avatar
#218 Hemmercules
January 31 2014, 11:31AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

As I have written before, there is only one buyout remaining under this cba. As the most critical cap crunch was this year, exercising the buyout this last summer would have been far more beneficial than using it this coming summer. That freed up salary and roster spot could have been used to pick up a long-term solution from a cap-strapped team (Philadelphia perhaps). Hemsky was on MacT's disposal list. Because he couldn't trade/deal him away he should have done the next best thing and bought him out.

The only reason you buy out Hemmer in that situation is if you have a player as good or better coming in. They didn't have that obviously. Sure they could have just bought him out and hoped they could find another equal player somewhere between the start of the season and the trade deadline but I guess that wasnt a gamble they wanted to take.

Now they can maybe get something for him at the deadline rather than pay him millions to walk away.

Avatar
#219 Oiler63
January 31 2014, 11:39AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Fresh Mess wrote:

He is worth a shot. If he works he will bring something sorely lacking. If he doesn't work out, they gave up nothing to get him and his contract expires this summer.

Good move by Mactavish. Second solid trade in a row.

I agree it's a good move. We got rid of two unwanted contracts through the trade and got someone who could potentially fill an organizational need. It's a risk worth taking.

Avatar
#220 Lochenzo
January 31 2014, 11:42AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Wonder if Cody Franson's name ever came up in the MacT-Nonis discussion? Here's a guy that everybody thought would easily be a top 4 guy. But then he'd crap the bed just as you started to get excited about him.

Avatar
#221 wellsy
January 31 2014, 11:42AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
YEGFan wrote:

No, he won't. "Protection" is a myth. No tough guy on any other team is scared of other tough guys. They all skate around "doing their jobs" by not being afraid of anyone else. They do not get intimidated by each other and they are all more than happy to lay a big hit on a star if they think they can get away with it and avoid a huge suspension and loss of income. Fortunately, they don't go out on the ice with the stars frequently because they get lit up so badly that the possible benefit of hitting a star is out weighed by number of goals it costs the team.

Putting assets and energy into acquiring tough or gritty players who aren't skilled is what is hurting this team most. The team is at the bottom of the league, get it through your head, no amount of tinkering with the 4th line or the bottom defense pairing is going to have any meaningful effect on this team's position in the standings.

And the loss of which "asset" in this trade has you upset? Hartikainen in the KHL, or "who the hell is Cam Abney", because I don't think either of those players are going to come back and haunt the Oilers with their brilliant future.

Avatar
#223 michael
January 31 2014, 12:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Bucknuck wrote:

There was once this player that really hadn't done much at the NHL level. He was a big bodied tough as nails defenceman that was past his prospect due date (26 yrs old). He played for Toronto, and his skating was suspect and no one was expecting much.

Jason Smith was his name.

Now I am not saying this guy is Jason Smith, I'm just saying that a tough as nails all heart defenceman is something this team needs, and you never know what can happen when a player gets a new start.

Before Jason Smith there was guy named Crag Muni. Before him a guy named Don Jackson.DJ could absolutely punish you physically. he was dirt mean.

There were nights when him and Wier just punished guys. They had Semenko back in the day but they had complimentary players through out the lineup who could and would just tear off your head when required.

MacT understands that and sees a need for a grittier hard nosed dman who can bring that to the lineup for 15 minutes a night.

RJ has come around and that grit that was buried after his eye injury has returned. Add Matt Hendricks. Gazdic and now Fraser and we might not get our lunch taken away by the other teams bully boys ever night.

Your 3rd and 4th lines now have 3 guys who can bring that grit.Add a dman or 2 with those same qualities and we might be able to win a few of those scrums in front ofour net.And not have our dmen pushed over like bowling pins(Belov)when the other team comes calling in our blue paint.

Avatar
#224 Bucknuck
January 31 2014, 12:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
25
cheers
Joe Mamma wrote:

Sorry Gord, when you're in a hole, stop digging. Buying out a legit NHL forward with no replacement, for no reason other than to get him off the roster is brainless.

I agree with you that the Gagner extension and Grebs signing were legit errors on MacT's part, but this Hemsky argument is a stupid one. Frankly it just looks like you're trolling for an argument. Which you likely are.

Even a world-class cynic like yourself has got to admit that MacT has made some pretty decent moves this year, and has easily blown Tambo out of the water in 9 months on the job.

Maybe, just once, you could skip the grumpy pills with breakfast?

I've never understood the "buying out Hemsky" argument. There was no reason to do so. His contract is gone after this season, and he will have some value at the deadline, and the guy has scored some nice goals this year.

Avatar
#226 Czar
January 31 2014, 12:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

Anyone that makes the Oilers harder to play against works for me.They have been the softest team in the NHL for far too long and it shows in their record.

I agree 100%! Look at the infuence Gadzic and Hendricks have had so far, at least the rest of the team are bringing their balls to the games now.

Avatar
#228 YEGFan
January 31 2014, 12:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Hemmercules wrote:

I see your point. Cap space is always good. I think we might just be on the outside looking in on this one. Maybe Katz didnt want to toss 5 mil in the toilet?? Maybe they decided they might as well keep him seeing how big player moves hardly (if ever) happen before Christmas anyway and they were hoping his value would rise for the deadline so they could get a return on him. If a trade arises and cap room is needed, good GM's find ways to get the deal done and stay within the cap. I think buyout are for horrible contracts or terrible play, neither of which fit Hemsky.

I think Mact's trades have been "small ball" because blockbuster trades don't happen in the first half of the season very often.

The cap has not hindered the Oilers this season.

Right now it is Bill Belichick's "during the season" and the Oilers have plenty of cap flexibility. They are free and clear to fill all the holes caused by injury and unforeseeable circumstances... Mission accomplished!

Avatar
#229 VK63
January 31 2014, 12:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Eddie Shore wrote:

"Hartikainen is a pest with limitless energy and a willingness to hit everything in sight, with some ability to contribute offensively" from Leafsnation.

That is not the Hartikainen I watched...

But but….. finnish juggernaut and all that …….

I agree. "A willingness to hit everything in sight"….. bwahahahaha.

Avatar
#230 Egg on Air blood
January 31 2014, 12:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

Apparently there are FOKs (friends of Katz) but there are also FOEs (friends of Eakins)...

Jokes aside, I agree with this trade, even if we lose Fraser for nothing at the end of the season. Our players look like a bunch of little girls when the Oil are playing teams like the St-Louis Blues. Fraser brings a little bit of toughness and it may rub off on the other players for the rest of the season. Besides, it cost the Oil practically nothing.

Avatar
#231 Ed in Edmonton
January 31 2014, 12:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers
Oil glob wrote:

Moving the franchise forward? From boys on the bus cult following to I want to be part of wanker eeeeeekins boys club cult!!!

Replacing NHL players with marlies wanna be close to Eakins is not a path forward.

This guy iis a clown, just like Eakins system of methodical defense

I must have missed something. I thought the Oil traded Hartski and Abney. Were there some NHL players the there somewhere as well?

Avatar
#232 Oliveoiler
January 31 2014, 12:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

While this isn't the "bold" move yet to be seen, it's certainly a step in the right direction. Give the guy a chance, don't run him out of town before he lands here. Bring Fedun up, and play them together, their opposite style of play would surely compliment each other. As for Belov and Larsen - I'd certainly like to see them go, and as much as I like Potter's massive shots, he probably has to go as well. This team is like a jigsaw puzzle, several pieces missing, which makes it frustrating, but man oh man, after Ben's amazing night, I dare to hope and dream. Save the negative comments IF he doesn't pan out - he surely has to be an improvement on what we have now.

Avatar
#234 Ed in Edmonton
January 31 2014, 12:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Lochenzo wrote:

@ Serious Gord

I don't know why you are so hard up for using the last compliance buyout on Hemsky. If you want to believe Mark Spector, Hemsky is worth at least a 3rd round pick. I think that Hemmer is worth more than that. I would only use the compliance buyout on guys that you couldn't even give away.

That is why players are bought out, i.e. they have zero value as a trade (other than a unique situation like Souray).

There is, however, an interesting point wrt to Hemsky. He might fetch more at the trading dealine that he would have last summer as his boat anchor contract is now almost done.

Nonetheles,s I don't see any good argument as to how not buying out Hemsky has hurt the Oil this year.

Avatar
#235 gongshow
January 31 2014, 12:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

JW, Lowetide etc - Could one of you gents that is way smarter than me do a comparative analysis of Fistric, Smid and Fraser? Does Fraser add something that these these other two didn't? Does he provide the same results but at a discount? Did MacT covet Broissoit and/or Horak and figured Smid was a replaceable piece?

Avatar
#236 DisappointedFan
January 31 2014, 01:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@Joe Mamma

So we complain all year because we have no one who lays the body and then defend the decisions not to pay a guy who lays the body and plays the same level of Defense that other players on this team do.

Okay so don't compare a forward and defensemen, let's compare him to the current 5-6 defensemen or even 3-4 defensemen who don't lay the body, are complete pushovers in their own zone, and are the constant reason why we get man handled in every board play in our own zone. Maybe you can show a few Oilers D-men (exception Marincin) who are actually meeting expectations at something.

If the only reason is bang for you buck on, I think you're forgetting just how bad Oilers management is a paying players their worth (Sam Gagner).

Avatar
#237 OilClog
January 31 2014, 01:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Taylor Gang wrote:

Nick Schultz is worth a million less than what he's paid and Hemsky is worth about 2.5 million as well. You're comparing two overpaid players to one.

What is wrong with you.. Dense much

It's not anything to do with abilities with being able to absorb Campbell's contract. It's that the Oilers are paying more for the two currently then what Campbell's contract is worth. Understand. If we move the two, bring in the one. We actually will be paying less.

If Campbell is available he's definately worth looking into, there are a few other players I try to shake loose first though.. Subban, Weber, that guy Montreal traded for Gomez, Big Buff..if they can't be had, I'd grab Campbell.

Avatar
#238 Craig MacTambeloweni
January 31 2014, 01:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

I like this trade, Mac T got us another guy who can punch faces and do it for cheap. We just became a little harder to play against

Avatar
#239 2004Z06
January 31 2014, 01:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

At first I did not like the team picking up Hendricks .Due to his contract and age. Now having watched him play here I stand corrected.He brings a positive energy on the ice,bench and although we cannot see I'm guessing the dressing room too.Along with his work effort and take no crap attitude Mac-T appears to have made a good move here.

He has addressed a need on the team and filled it.Let us hope he can do the same with some bigger needs at the deadline and this summer.

I knew you would come around. Ha ha. As for his contract, I am fine with it. Currently, 900k to 2 mil is the going rate for a 3/4th liner. In 2 years, his cap hit will be the league minimum.

It really isn't and won't be an issue. Any player that injects a little grit and energy into the team is worth a bit of extra cash in my books. The Oilers have all played like they are 3 inches taller lately. I don't think it is merely a coincidence.

Avatar
#240 rickithebear
January 31 2014, 01:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

JW: Fraser is a box protection Dman. The league average success rate of shots: 0-10 ft 17-18% are goals 10-20 ft 23-24% are goals 20-30 ft 8-9% >30 ft 3-4% Box dmen protect 20 ft in. 20-30 ft is a shared responsibility D and Fwds > 30 ft is about forwrds.

Strong defenceses like BOS, LA have great box protection D who limit the shots inside 20 ft to 30% or less. They have physical and lane dominate Dmen who reduce the success rate of the shots inside 20ft.(the box)

An elite Dman like Chara allows 14% or less success rate for shots inside 20 ft plus there are less than 30% shots from inside 20 ft.

Mark Fraser faces 3rd comp and shows signs of an elite box protection Dman. he gives up less than 14% success rate for shots inside 20 ft. he has an inside 20ft shot rate of 28%.

As a result in his time in NJ and 1st year in TOR he was a top 30 EVGA Dman. Yes against 3rd comp. but that gives flexibilty to the top pairs to be less elite on EVGA.

He was top 30 both years he played PK on D.

Mark Fistric and potter were the best EVGA D pair in the game.1.57EVGA/60 we tried to sign fistric to a 3 yr 1.25M contract. Anahiem got him he is a 1.9 GA/60 Dman. they extended him to a 3 year contract.

Fistric left and our 3rd pair is 3.17 Ga/60 .74g/gm versus .44g /gm last year.

.30 increase in team GA.

fraser 2 years nj and first in TOR 1.67EVGA/60; 1.65EVGA/60; 2.33 EVGA/60

we sure could use that.

Avatar
#241 A-Mc
January 31 2014, 01:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

@Will

i think it was a 3rd we gave up for Fistric! just FYI =)

PS: you have a real chubby for Callahan.. Haven't you asked about him in almost every thread you've replied to over the last week or so? LOL

Avatar
#242 Dan 1919
January 31 2014, 01:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

All this Campbell talk, what would it take to even get him?

Avatar
#243 ubermiguel
January 31 2014, 01:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

Grebs had a connection with MacT, but MacT's not drawing up the Xs and Os any more. If Eakins says this guy is an improvement on our current 6/7 guys that's enough for me.

Avatar
#244 Johnnydapunk
January 31 2014, 01:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
michael wrote:

Hemsky's 5 million looks great next season off the books. Add Eager,N.Shultz(3.75),Smyth at 2.25(I think he is resigned at 1.5).Grebby,Belov,Potter,Larsen(1.1)and whole whack of other guys.We'll save on the goaltending.DD was 3.75. think you can sign Scrivens and one other goalie for a lot less than that.I see Gagner being shown his hat at the draft.There goes 4+million.

My point is that cap space even with having to sign RFA's will be plentiful.Hemsky's return if its a 3rd is fine by me.Its better than nothing.

Eakins quote "Fraser adds a growl back there"

I'm 50/50 on some of your points, but 2 goalies for under 3.75mill ? I think the Oil currently have the lowest payroll for goalies as of now, Scrivens is even having part of his contract paid by the Leafs, but for a proper number one and backup, you are looking at minimum 6 mill, realistically I would think 7 mill.

As for the RFA hunt, it depends on what year the compensation draft picks are for, as the Oil don't have any picks in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round for 2014 and compensation for signing an RFA is usually one of those, so depending on the year those compensatory picks are for, would determine if the Oil can make any RFA offers.

Avatar
#245 Lochenzo
January 31 2014, 01:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

Whether buying out hemsky would have helped is unknowable. Having lots of room early in the season could have gotten the oil a good piece from the flyers early in the season when they were really struggling, but who knows? It's impossible to prove either way. It's whether the strategy is sound that is the question. I think it is.

And then what, sign David Clarkson to an $8 million dollar contract for 7 years, and then wish we still had a compliance buyout to get rid of him this summer.

Val Filppula you could make the argument for signing. But Val had a limited resume in terms of being a high level player, so the signing wasn't without risk.

Avatar
#246 NJ
January 31 2014, 01:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers

2 things: kudos to JW who is still replying 3 pages into posts.

Re: Fedun. Lots of us would love to see the feel good story of last couple years play more in Oil blue and maybe him and Fraser make a great 5-6 pair some day. If not, we'll still watch him play on another NHL team. That is a fact.

Why? Because he's been something to cheer for when we've had nothing else to cheer for. (Until the sharks got Scivened that is)

Avatar
#247 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 31 2014, 01:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Taylor Gang wrote:

But he's expensive! Horrendously expensive. With the amount of holes the Oilers have in their lineup, I wouldn't feel comfortable if Mac-T invested that much money into an aging defenseman such as Campbell.

I'd take Campbell on an expensive two year deal.....problem is he's going to be looking for a 4 to 6 year deal and that is where he may not be a good fit.

Campbell is not the big tough 1-2 Dman that most of us are dreaming about, but if it's a two or three year deal then we cannot let our pursuit of perfection get in the way of a seriously good upgrade.

Edit: Joe Mamma

Right you are. Thank you. He is under contract for two more years after this year at $7.15 million per season.

So then the questions for me are, does he have a no trade or limited no trade contract, and what would we have to give up to get him?

Avatar
#248 Joe Mamma
January 31 2014, 01:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

I'd take Campbell on an expensive two year deal.....problem is he's going to be looking for a 4 to 6 year deal and that is where he may not be a good fit.

Campbell is not the big tough 1-2 Dman that most of us are dreaming about, but if it's a two or three year deal then we cannot let our pursuit of perfection get in the way of a seriously good upgrade.

Edit: Joe Mamma

Right you are. Thank you. He is under contract for two more years after this year at $7.15 million per season.

So then the questions for me are, does he have a no trade or limited no trade contract, and what would we have to give up to get him?

Pretty sure he still has two years left on his current deal.

Avatar
#249 Grizztopia
January 31 2014, 02:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

I'd take Campbell on an expensive two year deal.....problem is he's going to be looking for a 4 to 6 year deal and that is where he may not be a good fit.

Campbell is not the big tough 1-2 Dman that most of us are dreaming about, but if it's a two or three year deal then we cannot let our pursuit of perfection get in the way of a seriously good upgrade.

Edit: Joe Mamma

Right you are. Thank you. He is under contract for two more years after this year at $7.15 million per season.

So then the questions for me are, does he have a no trade or limited no trade contract, and what would we have to give up to get him?

The good news is that if you trade for Campbell now, you have him on the aforementioned expensive two year deal (signed through the next two seasons already), and can likely move him as a rental at the end if need be.

Though my hope would be the Oilers will be done offloading players as rentals to other teams in two years time.

Avatar
#250 pkam
January 31 2014, 02:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

Flawed logic on your part. The strategic aspect of buying out hemsky should not be measured by the tangible tactical result.

Not having ample cap room during the season is a big - strategic - mistake.

MacT has made 2 salary dump trades. One is Horcoff to the Stars. One is Perron from the Blues. If MacT could acquire Perron without buying out Hemsky, why must we?

We are about middle in salary when the season started. Can you tell me how many teams below us in salary stole a player from a team who needed to dump salary?

Can you tell me how many team above us in salary got frozen in a trade due to the cap problem?

You keep saying we can have the cap space to get some players from the Flyers if we have bought out Hemsky. There are at least 15 teams below us in salary. Which team got a player from Flyers?

Perhaps you can tell us what other salary dump trades made by any other teams, not just the Flyers, that we could have made, cause I am not aware of any. Since you are so sure that not buying out Hemsky is a big mistake, why not support your argument with some facts, instead of BS.

Comments are closed for this article.