POST GAME AND NEW COACHES??... (ESKIMOS)

Jason Gregor
January 04 2014 12:03AM

The Oilers come home with 38 games left in the season sitting in 29th place overall. No one should be surprised they lost two games in 27 hours at San Jose and Anaheim, but once again the combination of bad defensive zone coverage and Bryzgalov allowing a weak goal cost them.

Eventually you hope the players make more correct decisions that wrong ones, but right now it is clear they have a long way to go before they can compete with the good teams in the western conference, and specifically in the pacific division.

Here are some thoughts on tonight's game and also some news for Eskimos fans.

•  I didn't have a problem earlier in the season when Eakins wanted Yakupov to play better. I felt that was fair. Tonight, however, Eakins' decision to not use Yakupov on the 6-on-3 PP late in the game was very perplexing. The Oilers biggest problem with their top-two lines is they have no diversity, they all offer similar things.

The six players on the PP mirrored that problem. None of them can shoot a one-time like Yakupov, so why wasn't he on that PP? It made no sense. I wonder if Eakins let his stubborness get the best of him tonight? I understand if he wants Yakupov to earn his icetime, but Yakupov was good yesterday and tonight, so why wasn't he rewarded with a spot on the man advantage?|

• The Oilers made some glaring errors on four of the five Ducks goals. RNH had the puck under control but gave it away on first goal. Bryzgalov has to stop the 3rd goal with 4.4 seconds remaining on the clock. Marincin (he is a rookie, so the odd mistake is expected) left Jackman wide open on the 4th goal, while Petry shot the puck directly into Cogliano's shinpads leading to his breakaway.

The Oilers have to find ways to cut down on those mistakes, or they will never improve.

• The Oilers top-six had an average weight of 192 pounds, while the Ducks top-six was 212 pounds. They are giving up 60 pounds every shift. The Oilers will never be able to compete with the big, heavy, skilled teams in the Pacific until they add some size in their top-six. (When I say in their top-six, I assume most people realize that means skilled players. We shouldn't have to add "size with skill" every time we mention the need for size. When I mention top-six, I believe that skill is a given part of the equation.)

The Oilers have too many of the same players right now. That isn't a knock on them, and doesn't mean they aren't good, but they are all the same and there is no diversity within their top-six. Size is needed.

• No one can be shocked the Oilers lost back-to-back games in the two toughest road rinks in the league. It is disappointing, but these two losses should not cause massive uproar. The Oilers aren't close to the top teams in the league, especially on the road in San Jose and Anaheim.

ESKIMO RUMBLINGS...

The Eskimos have been rather quiet about their coaching staff, but it seems like Chris Jones is getting closer to naming his staff.

Look for Stephen McAdoo to be the offensive coordinator. My sources tell me he hasn't re-signed with the Argos. McAdoo has been with the Argos for four seasons as the O-Line coach and run game coordinator, and prior to that he was the offensive line/running back coach in Montreal from 2003-2005 and then added co-offensive coordinator title in 2006.

This would be McAdoo' first OC job, but he has 15 years of coaching experience. McAdoo and Jones have worked together in Montreal (2003-2006) and in Toronto (2012-2013). They have a history together.

My sources also state that Jarious Jackson will be the quarterbacks/passing game coach. The Eskimos desperately need a former QB to work with the Mike Reilly, and the Esks are close or have already signed him to a deal. Jackson played 8 seasons in the CFL and was the QB coach in BC last season. He will help Reilly and the other QBs. He also should add some insight into pass patterns. Last season the Eskimos ran too many intermediate routes, but never had any safety/under routes that Reilly could dump off to if no one was open downfield.

I'm also hearing that Kevin Strasser could be added as the receivers coach. He has worked with Jones in the past and previously worked with the Eskimos. Sources say the Strasser signing isn't confirmed, but he is a candidate for that job.  The main concern is if he would be a distraction. (My apologies for sending out an erroneous tweet earlier today that said he was in the running for the OC job, when it clearly was for WR coach. Stupid mistake on my part.)

McAdoo and Jackson look to be solid additions. McAdoo has a lot of experience while Jackson fills a huge void on the coaching staff.

RECENTLY BY JASON GREGOR

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#101 Oiler1980
January 04 2014, 01:11PM
Soccer Steve wrote:

@Gregor

"No one can be shocked the Oilers lost back-to-back games in the two toughest road rinks in the league. It is disappointing, but these two losses should not cause massive uproar."

If this is what you think we are in uproar about then you are as out of touch with the fan-base as the Oilers management are.

By the way, however many years we are into this "re-build" now, getting crushed 5-1 and 5-2 back-to-back by the Sharks and Ducks is cause for uproar. Absolutely. If that isn't, then what the hell is?

It's sad when we just accept loses now. We accept loses like the players are. Eakins can kick and scream about "no one quitting". This team is so messed. I have no idea what we have here anymore. What kind of team are they? Why are they so bad? Have we been too young too long? Have we lacked true NHL experiance for so long? I would not like to be in his position right now.

Is there any GM on this great green earth who could solve this mess?

#102 Rama Lama
January 04 2014, 01:17PM
Spydyr wrote:

As POHO? Or coach?

Replace Mr. Chop Water carry wood .........with Brent Sutter.

#103 Spydyr
January 04 2014, 01:19PM
Rama Lama wrote:

Replace Mr. Chop Water carry wood .........with Brent Sutter.

That would work for me.In fact I wanted him when they hired Ralph.

Just wondering if he wants to leave Red Deer to come to this mess.

#104 Rick Stroppel
January 04 2014, 01:20PM
Rotten Ron wrote:

I like Strudwick when he talks about anything but the oilers. He absolutely refuses to call out any players or staff. I totally understand why, this was his team and team mates not long ago but at some point you have to call a spade a spade. My guess is he is trying to leave the door open for oiler employment in the future. Best analyst in town by far is Rob Brown, surprisingly with the turkeys he's surrounded by.

LET'S BE FAIR TO THE JOURNALISTS

It is not correct that Strudwick "refuses to call out" Oilers players. FOUR DAYS AGO he wrote an article right here explaining carefully why he thought Yakupov deserved to be benched. In any event, Strudwick does not pretend to be a "hard-hitting" journalist. He parlayed minimal talent into a 15 year NHL career, he has a great sense of humour, and I enjoy him.

Now you are going to think this is strange for me to say this because I have been ripping pretty good on Stauffer the last little while. Calling Bob Stauffer a "slobbering idiot" is just plain mean and unhelpful. As somebody else pointed out, he has stuck his neck out a little bit recently. I think I heard him say the Oilers were 8 or 9 players away from being a competitive team, not 3 or 4. And he is clearly taking Yakupov's side in the Yakupov-Eakins controversy. He thinks Eakins should recognize that he is a rookie coach, put his ego aside, and try to capitalize last years' top goal scorer. I disagree with Stauffer, but it's a fair point.

I guess what bugs me most about Oilers press coverage is that for about 6.5 years they treated the Oilers Glory Boys like holy cows. The press shared the arrogant and conceited attitude of the organization itself. If anybody questioned "the plan", well that was just because they were stupid and they didn't really understand "the plan". Obviously "the plan" is an utter failure. Thank goodness there are more and more people (like Tychkowski and MacKinnon) willing to say so. The press, like the team itself, needs to give us less "attitude", and a lot more humility and realism.

#105 CMG30
January 04 2014, 01:34PM

I was cautiously optimistic when Eakins was hired in the summer, I believed that it was high time to put the onus on the players and that was what Eakins was promising. I saw what he was able to do with Kadri and I had hope he could replicate that here.

Right now I believe that hiring Eakins has turned into a mistake. I realize that there is only so much that can be done without top defense men and I still believe that the players are ultimately falling down with what it takes to win but the things he should be controlling are not working. His PP is a disaster and the team looks increasingly unorganized out there. What I'm seeing is that Eakins is growing as a coach along with the team. I suppose this would be fine if the Oil were in a better position that they are. A rookie head coach along with a bunch of rookies is not showing returns.

Having said that, I don't believe that firing another head coach is the solution at this point. There needs to be continuity sometime. If you fire another Coach you're sending the message to the players that they don't need to listen and do what the coach wants -he'll be gone in a month anyway. Instead I believe that MacT needs to take some of the responsibility away from Eakins. He could do this by hiring an assistant coach with experience, someone to take over the PP and PK. Sort of like a Tom Renney to Pat Quinn arrangement. As an added bonus, this would make for a smooth transition if Eakins was to move along in the next year or two.

#106 michael
January 04 2014, 01:45PM

Brent Sutter is the solution. Eakins is the problem.

#107 Dave Lumley
January 04 2014, 01:46PM

@CMG30

I was disappointed at the Kruger firing, disappointed at the MacT hiring, but open minded on Eakins.

Eakins is a disaster OR the boys are at the stage of learning when they still have to think about what they have to do at any particular point or situation in a game. This hesitation make them look they they are not trying. Once the thinking stops, action begins. The process just has to unfold, this year is a write off.

So, keep Eakins. Worst case scenario is that we will be drafting McDavid next year. What scares me more is having MacT behind the bench.

#108 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 04 2014, 01:47PM

Anyone have any ideas what's wrong with the Oilers?

#109 tileguy
January 04 2014, 02:00PM
reaperfunkss (2nd tier fan) wrote:

Sounds like you work for the Oilers. You don't like the idea of holding people accountable. Stauffer chose his job and the consequences are that he will get run down for being a PR man dressed as a journalist.

His fault for this disaster? Of course not but he is a lackey that has been trying to shine up this pile of garbage to con the fans into thinking all is good and to keep spending your money on the team.

To quote "How can you even listen to that slobbering fool. When I used to listen to bob I kept waiting for him to drown in his saliva...."

He should go back under his rock.

#110 Rama Lama
January 04 2014, 02:06PM
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Anyone have any ideas what's wrong with the Oilers?

The reason the Oilers suck is due to very, very, bad management. The list is long and well documented, from player selection, drafting, coaching, and trades.

Everything starts and ends with KLowe. He started by stating there was a new NHL where small fast players would excel. He ended by creating a poisoned atmosphere for the players .........it's no wonder no players wants to come to this team. Add to that the great players that have left the Oilers under suspicious circumstance, only to excel in their new teams. Too many player to mention here.

Now that the going gets tough, he disappears! IF one care to look close enough every bad thing that has happened to this organization can be traced back to very bad management.

I'm waiting for someone to start the chant FIRE LOWE on the next CBC broadcast.

#111 Rotten Ron
January 04 2014, 02:12PM

@Rick Stroppel

As I said I do enjoy listening to him. He did call out Yakupov but he was also never a team mate of his and he was in agreement with management, had he written a story before he was sat saying they should do so it would be a different story.

Stauffers hands are tied, hes an Oilers employee, I wish I had more employees who were that loyal. Ha. However he has more lately than ever given callers, texters and emailers with differing opinion a voice alot more airtime maybe his way of letting others say what he cant.

#112 Good News
January 04 2014, 02:13PM

The good news is we don't have to watch our team get embarrassed on national tv tonight.

the bad news ... well there is a lot of that ...

#113 Robert (AKA Hockey Fan)
January 04 2014, 02:29PM

@Dave Lumley

Kruger deserved better. Though while vacationing in the Swiss Alps enjoying his frosty lager, I'm sure this is what Ralph is thinking about the Oilers situation.....

He's doing jumping jacks and handstands trying not to knock over his keg of beer in celebration that he wasn't the problem!

#114 Kr55
January 04 2014, 03:10PM

Just in case anyone needs a refresher on why the Oilers are in the state they're in and likely will never get out of it until one guy is fired from the organization:

#115 Randaman
January 04 2014, 03:36PM
Kr55 wrote:

Lowe and his gang cannot be allowed to deflect blame again by firing another coach. Without a doubt Eakins is probably getting the least out of an Oilers team than we've ever seen, but it's pointless to fire him now.

The only hope for this franchise is for tier 1 fans to run Lowe out of the Oilers organization. Then the old boys club can finally be dismantled and we can start filling management positions in this organization with actual qualified people that know how to build a hockey team. People that think being lucky enough to play with Gretzky and Messier means they are good at management need not apply.

It's all up to you tier 1 fans. Fire Lowe chants, a #4 Lowe jersey tossed on the ice after the next embarrassing home loss. Lowe and Katz need to know you want a REAL change in this organization for once.

I have a very easy poll I would like to do because I am curious to know how many season ticket holders come and post on this site. Trash = Non season ticket holder Props = Season ticket holder The reason for this is if you are a season ticket holder and you come on here to vent with us tier 2 fans, we are counting on you to make your displeasure known to management. Don't be afraid to toss a jersey or hat or scarf (whatever you have) on the ice. I would be more than willing to throw in a few bucks for compensation. Eakins called the first guy a quitter. 95% of this team has quit as far as I see anyway. A FIRE LOWE chant would be fine too. Walk the Walk!!! Don't just talk the talk. Step up!!!

#116 Kevin
January 04 2014, 03:40PM
6 ring circus wrote:

Randy Gregg,Charlie Huddy, Grant Fuhr,Glenn Anderson,Jari Kurri,Mark Messier and Kevin Lowe all won 5 Stanley cups with the Oilers,4 of these players are in the HHOF,Messier one of the greatest leaders in hockey was passed over as head coach of the NYR 's this past year. Using Kevin Lowes way of thinking, how come none of these other guys are in charge of NHL teams,They all know a thing or two about winning ,appointing Lowe as a general manager when he had no experience was a mistake ,making him president of hockey operations has been a colossal failure,his management record speaks for itself ,the Oilers have been at the bottom of the standings for the past 8 years,it is time that Katz hires a experienced President with a winning record to restore this once great franchise,and undo the damage that Lowe has done,until then I will no longer support this team,I will not renew my seasons tickets which i have had for 14 years,I am not a quitter,I was a die hard Oilers fan ,but I cannot support this team any longer ,doing so would mean I support the incompetence of management and I no longer do, management has had enough time to correct this sinking ship ,we have sunk to the bottom and it's time we release the anchor s Kevin Lowe ,kelly Buchberger,Steve smith,Scott Howson,Craig Mactavish and Dallas Eakins,only then will the sinking end and the Oilers can become a winning team.

Here, here- good on you ! its hard to take for sure and cudos to you for shelling out $$ for so long through this debacle of a decade. We need more ticket holders like you to make a stance !

#117 Furlise
January 04 2014, 03:49PM

It is truly a very sad time in Oiler history. I find it embarrassing, hurtful, and shameful that this team has regressed to this point. Oiler Pride is slowly diminishing ...and I no longer wear Oiler colours with Pride.

#118 Bryzarro World
January 04 2014, 03:56PM
tileguy wrote:

Give it a rest Bizzaro. The man is doing his job. He probably hates his job right now, but it is his whole world, wife, kids, mortgage. He is not at fault for this disaster and will be great to listen too if this ever gets turned around. Let him do his job.

His job is to speak clearly and not disgust his listeners with the saliva sound effects. There are about 7 billion people on the planet, you telling me they couldn't find one that doesn't stuff his face on air or that can swallow and talk at the same time?

#119 Bryzarro World
January 04 2014, 03:57PM
outdoorzguy wrote:

Is Skype down?

Katz cut the budget, using carrier pigeons now...

#120 Bryzarro World
January 04 2014, 04:01PM

@michael

Bingo!

The difference between Sutter and Dally is that Sutter is proven to work well with kids, Dally did what?

#121 blue31
January 04 2014, 04:11PM

Rod Phillips got the hell out of E-town just in time.

#122 Bryzarro World
January 04 2014, 04:11PM
tileguy wrote:

He should go back under his rock.

Because I have a certain expectation when I listen to people who's job it is to be palatable to the audience?

Blow me you mindless fool...

#123 reaperfunkss (2nd tier fan)
January 04 2014, 04:26PM
Rick Stroppel wrote:

LET'S BE FAIR TO THE JOURNALISTS

Trouble is there are not many actual journalists covering the Oilers.

Sportsnet coverage is a complete joke. Written by the oilers PR for the Sportsnet guys to spew.

TSN has good coverage but they don't care much about anything outside of Toronto and even when they do why cover repeat losers closely.

The papers in this town used to have journalists writing sports but it seems that some (terry jones) are now just PR guys as well. Sorry but Lowes blow up deserved more than it got. Edmonton Hockey writers are wimps. I cut them no slack. The seem to get paid to be fan boys.

Spector Is still wondering why Dubnyk hasn't won a vezina as the Oilers "Guy in net"

Sad days Unless you live in the Katz 6rings MacTerrible world. then whatever they say is gold.

#124 reaperfunkss (2nd tier fan)
January 04 2014, 04:27PM
CMG30 wrote:

So you say the coach is no good but not to fire him? And your not in Oiler management?

#125 reaperfunkss (2nd tier fan)
January 04 2014, 04:28PM
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Anyone have any ideas what's wrong with the Oilers?

They lose hockey games

#126 LoweMustGO
January 04 2014, 05:20PM

2014- Lowe: "You're telling me you're impatient after 4 years??? ...I know something about winning, if that's ever a concern"

2015- Lowe: "You're telling me you're impatient after 5 years??? ...I know something about winning, if that's ever a concern"

2016- Lowe: "You're telling me you're impatient after 6 years??? ...I know something about winning, if that's ever a concern"

2017- Lowe: "You're telling me you're impatient after 7 years??? ...I know something about winning, if that's ever a concern"

and so on until Lowe finally kicks the bucket at the ripe old age of 110. Sorry everyone, but the Oilers suck will probably outlive most of us.

#127 Brian
January 04 2014, 05:50PM

I wish KLost would hold another presser so we can get some fresh sound bites as good as the "...any concern" speech. This whole thing has gone from pitiful to laughable. The oiler organization and team is just a punch line now. I'd lovd for Katz to eat another coach's contract. I pray that soon MacT will be explaining the merits of yet another head coach. Its hilarious to see glimpses of Bucky and Own Goal standing on the bench doing sweet FA . The east coast league defense is a riot. The giveaways, the lack of compete, and the total bewilderment of pros trying to play defense is special. There is so much to embrace and laugh at that it has become fun. Sorry, I ramble on.

#128 camdog
January 04 2014, 05:53PM
LoweMustGO wrote:

The irony in all of this is that Mact was hired under the premise that "he was impatient". The fans didn't become impatient with the rebuild until GM Mactavish professed this to be his mandate for this upcoming season.

#129 Esks fan
January 05 2014, 08:09PM

Gregor,

I like McAdoo hiring. I agree with you that Strasser would be a distaction. Do you think the Esks would hire him, or is he just a candidate. Do they go to 2nd best option just to avoid the controversy of hiring a thief?