SAM GAGNER'S NAME "OUT THERE"

Lowetide
January 04 2014 05:10PM

During tonight's Hotstove portion of the HNIC pre-game, Elliotte Friedman told the nation "Sam Gagner's name is out there" and suggested the Oilers would find him a place he'd be comfortable with playing (if a transaction were to be completed). It sounds very much like the team and player have decided a move could be made if it fits for all sides, although specifics weren't covered in the brief report.

LATE SEPTEMBER (21st)

Gagner's season went sideways in a hurry one autumn night in Vancouver, and the impact has been felt by player and team all season long. I don't for a minute believe that the Kassian stick incident led us to this day, but it probably hurried it along.

Bottom line: Craig MacTavish has to make plans for next year. He has to ask questions:

  1. Is Dallas Eakins the coach of next year's team?
  2. Do the Oilers need to improve up the middle?
  3. Has Mark Arcobello done enough to make Gagner expendable?
  4. Will the organization have the same number of similar talents in the top 6F next season?
  5. Can they get value for Gagner?
  6. Is Gagner a part of the future with Eakins in charge?

Those are tough questions, but the news today suggests that they exist in the organization and Sam Gagner (who perhaps Gagner has questions about his future as an Oiler) may be heading out of Edmonton during the season.

What does it all mean? Well, you never get full value in these situations, so prepare to be disappointed with the return. On the other hand, the Oilers will be going to market next summer with more money and will very likely arrive at training camp next fall with a bigger lineup.

We wait.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
Lowetide has been one of the Oilogosphere's shining lights for over a century. You can check him out here at OilersNation and at lowetide.ca. He is also the host of Lowdown with Lowetide weekday mornings 10-noon on TSN 1260.
Avatar
#151 michael
January 05 2014, 06:31AM
Trash it!
28
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Rod from Viking wrote:

I know how my renewal call is going to go. I think the corporations are finding clients are not really enthused about going to games anymore and hopefully will be looking for a better "PR" investment. I wonder if people are taking their names of the waiting list. As far as buddy Bob Stauffer goes I bet this is driving him crazy trying to defend this nightmare.

I can't speak for BOB. But do you actually listen to his show. All the time? I do. Whether live or podcast later. He is just as hard on the poor play by the team as anyone else here in Edmonton. The Oilers record is near indefensible.

Where we see whats going on on the ice Bob sees also what is going on off the ice. He cannot report everything he sees and hears. Its incumbent upon him though to report the facts.

I feel for the team right now. Now isn't the time to sharpen the knives. And I much as anyone wish this season had gone different. The results are what they are and going into 2014 we are 29th in the standing. Who would have thought that?

I saw us as 20-23 place team. The needs of this team are glaring. Realignment intothe Pacific Division has shown us what are sorely lacking.

Backin the day the Smythe Division was one of the strongest. Because the Oilers,Flames and Jets all had good teams and competed to be top dog. The Pacific Division has 3 ofthetopdogsin the WC. For the Oilers to be competitive they are going to have a team that has skill,size and not just average goaltending but great goaltending. MacT has a lot of work to do to reshape this team. Eakins has a lot of work to do also. On the ice and off the ice. Eakins has his faults and by goodness when your record is as poor as ours is those faults are just like a spotlight.

I am as frustrated as anyone but when I look at the WC standings and see who is on top I can't help but be a little jealous. But they too paid in terrible season after terrible season.The top dogs did not get there overnight. I want to be Chicago or San Jose or LA. But mistakes in the past 5 years have cost us dearly. Drafting for more size and grit and character is needed. MacT came in last draft and Nurse was our number 1 pick. Moroz number 2.I can't argue those picks. Greg Chase in the 7th round? It will take MacTand Eakins more than just this year and next to get this train wreck moving in the right direction.

Avatar
#152 Josh Oiler
January 05 2014, 06:41AM
Trash it!
39
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

From here on in: we going to....

PLAY BAD FOR EKBLAD

Avatar
#153 MessyEH
January 05 2014, 06:42AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers

2007 draft is to blame for today's a lot of todays mess. Three 1st round pics. (Riley Nash and Alex Plante. WTF.)

Gagner is almost a bust. (Based off of draft position.) 2007 draft redox here.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=634928

Avatar
#154 Spydyr
January 05 2014, 07:10AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
36
cheers
spliff wrote:

I've been a fan since 1975, and these are, without a doubt, the darkest days for this organization. The blunders that have led to this situation are widespread and have seriously crippled this organizations ability to compete, even a a mid-level, in the 30 league NHL. Some of the blunders are:

* hiring mediocre ex-players from the 80's to important positions in coaching and scouting

* not having a farm team for many years

* trying to emulate the Red Wings instead of building a team on simple, traditional hockey fundamentals

* leaving Tambo at the controls for too long, and then replacing him with yet another ex-player who had a hand in creating this mess in the first place

* not surrounding the few young good draft picks they have made, with competent veterans

* losing may more trades then they win

* chasing big fish UFAs who were never going to sign here, and letting fan favorites like GlenX walk away for nothing

* and most of all, taking an incredibly loyal, passionate and patient fan-base for granted, and insulting the citizens of this fine city by threatening to move their piss poor team, and then subjecting us to arguably the worst stretch of sh*tshow hockey ever seen in the modern day NHL.

You are correct sir. There are thousands more that agree.

Avatar
#155 Spydyr
January 05 2014, 07:11AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

Please package Gagner, Hemsky one of the many 5-6 defenceman and a prospect for one NHL center or defencmen.

Avatar
#156 K_Mart
January 05 2014, 07:40AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

Shopping list has been the same ever since Visnovsky was given away and souray was run out of town...

Top veteran d man, top veteran centre who can teach these kids by showing them what to do.

and still we wait...

Avatar
#157 Sisyphus
January 05 2014, 07:41AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

Just a thought....and let me be clear before I begin that I don't think any of Oilers current mgmt team is particularly brilliant.

That said, the Oilers are in a tough spot. Every GM in the league knows how bad we are, and how desperate we must be to improve. The current make-up of the team leaves very, very few truly trade-able assets to offer to other teams. The vast majority of our players (entire 3/4 lines, pretty much all dmen, all goalies) are the kind that other teams MIGHT see as fringe players at best. Certainly nothing worth trading for, let alone trading a solid NHL center/dman, etc. for.

Given that, I do think MacT may be trying his best, but he's finding that any trades at all in the next year or two are going to be very hard for the Oilers to break even on, let alone win. Other teams have little use for most of our players, and the players they would be interested in, we either can't or wont get rid of.

Gagner--never happening. Certainly not just before a NTC and contract starts. That's a fool's bet that he stops sucking. Hemmer--they'll just wait until he walks from EDM to pick him up, no one wants him for a playoff run. Yak might be valuable, but given his tantrums earlier, his one-dimensional play, the risk of KHL bolting--won't be as valuable as we'd really like. That leaves Ebs, RNH, and Hall. And two of the three we basically will not get rid of, no matter how bad things get.

So how DO you make the kind of big trades needed to improve this team in the next 1-4 years, when you basically only have 1.5 tradeable players to use (Ebs & Yak)?

Avatar
#158 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
January 05 2014, 08:12AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers
Woogie63 wrote:

Lots of talk of firing Lowe, but WHO replaces him. The President of hockey operations is critical to the vision and the standard for the team for the next ten years. It is one thing to hate on Lowe, but getting the highest quality to replace him may not be that easy.

on the bright side, literally locking the door to his office and leaving the position unfilled would probably not result in this getting any worse.

heaven forbid mr.katz drags himself away from spooning with his gravy new arena deal long enough to deal with something...anything...

Avatar
#159 Loweblows
January 05 2014, 08:28AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
25
cheers
Josh Oiler wrote:

I'm officially making the statement: you heard it here first.

For the remainder of the season we are going to:

PLAY BAD FOR EKBLAD

Obviously you are new to this site. Play bad for Ekblad has been said many times over. Stale just like Rexalls DJ.

Avatar
#160 Thumby
January 05 2014, 08:29AM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
Vance in LA wrote:

Hello all. I am Vance (in LA) and this is my first excursion into this sphere of anonymous insults, rants, insights, observations, personal attacks, unfounded rumour and humour. It has been both disappointing and enlightening. I must first take exception to the promo proclaiming Mr. L Tide as a 'shining contributor for over a century'. By my count it is only 83 years, 4 months. Only the great John Short can lay claim to such longevity. Then again, King John is the only reporter alive who actually covered the original 26 mile run from Marathon to Athens live in 490 BC. His interview with Pheidippides is legendary and still controversial, considering he was the only contestant and died immediately after his victorious interview with John. Let us not blame him. As for Dallas Eakins? Tis strange how quickly the tide can turn. Wasn't it just yesterday he was the wave of new young thinking? Of aggressive offense? The opposite of past 'defence first' coaches? Utilizing the offensive talents of this young roster? And then we were introduced to "the swarm", a magical trick in the AHL that was exposed as ridiculous against the best in the world. Then the 5 forward powerplay that would change hockey, and digressed to the most shorthanded goals in the league. And now we witness defencemen coming up the boards with the puck and pulling a 360 degree to get separation from the forechecker. That laughter you hear isn't mine: that's Mike Babcock and Ken Hitchcock. They just can't help themselves. I think it's cruel. But to question Dallas Eakins value is more than fair; every aspect of the team is worse. PP,PK, 5 v 5, but most condemning, the 'kids' have stagnated. The very future of this franchise have either taken a step sideways or backwards. And Lord knows Yak has struggled, but I didn't realize that he was drafted for his checking and defence. Stupid me. Eakins is far from the only problem this team has, but it is apparent he is one of many. Which means he is part of the problem. MacT had to know he was taking a chance with an inexperienced AHL coach, and a very weak supporting staff. So why give the guy a 4 year contract? He wouldn't have signed for 2? Perhaps the NHL needs to implement an entry level contract restriction for coaches, to protect them from themselves. Gagner? Oh my word. We've known for 5 years what he is; smart, tenacious, committed and not a top 2 center, too slow for 3rd line checking, and too small for 4th line banging. His trade value? In my world, zero. But considering the Oilers just got a 17th round pick for Linus Omark, Gagner might just get you Stamkos. I dunno. Tis indeed the winter of our discontent. After 8 years, it's beginning to feel like the Ice Age of our Discontent.

A better year to you all. Thanks for reading.

Vancee in LA

Nice read and some good points.

However, I have just one word for you today regarding grammar. That word is "paragraphs" - you should try and use them.

That is all.

Avatar
#161 Freewheeling Freddie
January 05 2014, 08:31AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
17
cheers

Do you think Justin Schultz wishes he had signes in Anaheim? What snow job did Lowe and company do to convince him to come here? I remember Dave Lumley saying the Oilers should have been on the phone after Sams eight point night .He is absolutely right. Too slow too timid .The Oilers have no vision, his trade value will be very low right now .However Sam if you need a ride to the airport call me. Also to all you Eakins haters, he was put in a very tough position. He had to keep the 3 stooges Smith Bucky and Chabot. Why couldn't he bring in his own coaches? Lowe just threw him out to the wolves. The coach and players are in a serious world of hurt. Time for management to grow some gonads and do an intervention

Avatar
#162 season not played
January 05 2014, 08:40AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

As we all know, there are several aspects to managing an NHL hockey team.

Player Procurement/Roster Construction

Pro Scouting

Amateur Scouting and Drafting

Coaching Staff Selection

Contract/Salary Cap Management

Player Management and Development

Minor League Affiliate Management

I would guess I have missed some but I would think these are the heavy hitters. Now granted I am one disenchanted Oiler fan, but when I look at that list objectively I do not see one area where this management group has done a good job. They make questionable decisions almost every time there is one to make. Now someone could refute that statement, but the proof is on the ice, in their record. There is no disputing this team is really bad and has been for years. The management group, whoever is or has been in charge has run this franchise completely into the toilet. And the frustratingly perplexing part of the whole situation is the same people who have demonstrated no ability whatsoever to properly construct and manage an NHL team(they got lucky in 2006)are in charge of cleaning up their own mess. And I don't buy that bold moves hasn't had a chance. Every move he made in the summer has contibuted to this team being worse. Partial credit for Perron, but that is far outweighed by the Eakins fiasco alone. So we can talk Gagner trade, free agency, top two draft, trade deadline, whatever. Is it reasonable to believe this current management group is capable of doing anything to improve this hockey team in any meaningful way? Unfortunatley no. It is a perennial bottom feeder organization run by people who have essentially no idea what they are doing. Proof is in results.

Avatar
#163 Don W
January 05 2014, 08:52AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

@Loweblows

We need a slogan for McDavid. I know he isn't draft eligible yet but I think we need to plan ahead. It's kind of like how Vancouver has a parade route planned.

Avatar
#164 JDP
January 05 2014, 09:00AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

This organization is a joke. I can't believe people still go and pay to watch a team lose every year. I was a fan of cogs. But even a inexperienced fellow like myself always thought that he was more of a winger than a centre. I'm happy for him and glad he was shipped away from this pathetic team. It's pretty bad when a lonely pathetic American commentator goes off on the oilers. Pathetic!

Avatar
#165 the tikk
January 05 2014, 09:03AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

@Don W

"Dishonour for Connor"

Avatar
#166 hall the time
January 05 2014, 09:13AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Sisyphus wrote:

Just a thought....and let me be clear before I begin that I don't think any of Oilers current mgmt team is particularly brilliant.

That said, the Oilers are in a tough spot. Every GM in the league knows how bad we are, and how desperate we must be to improve. The current make-up of the team leaves very, very few truly trade-able assets to offer to other teams. The vast majority of our players (entire 3/4 lines, pretty much all dmen, all goalies) are the kind that other teams MIGHT see as fringe players at best. Certainly nothing worth trading for, let alone trading a solid NHL center/dman, etc. for.

Given that, I do think MacT may be trying his best, but he's finding that any trades at all in the next year or two are going to be very hard for the Oilers to break even on, let alone win. Other teams have little use for most of our players, and the players they would be interested in, we either can't or wont get rid of.

Gagner--never happening. Certainly not just before a NTC and contract starts. That's a fool's bet that he stops sucking. Hemmer--they'll just wait until he walks from EDM to pick him up, no one wants him for a playoff run. Yak might be valuable, but given his tantrums earlier, his one-dimensional play, the risk of KHL bolting--won't be as valuable as we'd really like. That leaves Ebs, RNH, and Hall. And two of the three we basically will not get rid of, no matter how bad things get.

So how DO you make the kind of big trades needed to improve this team in the next 1-4 years, when you basically only have 1.5 tradeable players to use (Ebs & Yak)?

Well McaT better figure out a way then.

Avatar
#167 JDP
January 05 2014, 09:14AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Freewheeling Freddie wrote:

Do you think Justin Schultz wishes he had signes in Anaheim? What snow job did Lowe and company do to convince him to come here? I remember Dave Lumley saying the Oilers should have been on the phone after Sams eight point night .He is absolutely right. Too slow too timid .The Oilers have no vision, his trade value will be very low right now .However Sam if you need a ride to the airport call me. Also to all you Eakins haters, he was put in a very tough position. He had to keep the 3 stooges Smith Bucky and Chabot. Why couldn't he bring in his own coaches? Lowe just threw him out to the wolves. The coach and players are in a serious world of hurt. Time for management to grow some gonads and do an intervention

He could be playing with cogs and winning some games as apposed to looking like a moron just like the rest of the team.

Avatar
#168 JDP
January 05 2014, 09:16AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

Oh and I'm sure wanting to trade hemsky and playing him with Smyth and Gordon in a defensive role will most certainty increase his value!

Avatar
#169 JDP
January 05 2014, 09:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

And why was smid traded anyway. To clear up a spot in the dressing room for klowe?

Avatar
#170 RexHolez
January 05 2014, 09:28AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
19
cheers

If I was McDavid and the oilers were picking first, I'd pull the Lindros and refuse to play here

Avatar
#171 JDP
January 05 2014, 09:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

And fristric? You sent him loose too. Local guy as well.

Avatar
#172 JDP
January 05 2014, 09:34AM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

If I was hall Id ask for a buyout.

Avatar
#173 outdoorzguy
January 05 2014, 09:35AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

First phase of the fan protest: stop wearing Oiler jerseys to games. Let there be a visual sign of frustration. Besides not going to the games (which we all know won't happen), this would serve a good purpose. When your kid asks why he can't wear his jersey tell them it's because the team sucks. Signs won't work because A/ you'll have a hard time getting anything into the building and B/ the Oiler game day staff will have Northlands security and usher staff take it away from you (Oiler staff won't do this, they don't like to be seen as pissing of their fan base and they're busy just watching the game). The chants are effective. You know, "Fire Lowe", "Fire the Coaching Staff" but I don't think the fans are themselves prepared to do that. I've said it before and others have as well, the only real form of protest that is to keep $$$$ from going into the Oilers bank account and ultimately the pockets of Katz. That means don't buy future tickets (I realize most of them have been sold for the season), don't buy Oiler logo'd items, don't get your flu shot at a Rexall/Medicine Shoppe pharmacy (or anything else for that matter) and stop supporting anything remotely attached to the Oilers. Economics are the only thing that will affect this team. Clearly they don't care what either tier of fan has to say and it is becoming apparent that they don't have the ability to clearly assess that there is a bad product on the ice. There has been two significant events in the last few years that has got managements attention. McKinnons question which got us the 6 ring answer and a jersey on the ice. But even these instances died out because the media have almost gone out of their way not to challenge management with the hard questions and as much as I hate to say it, I think the fan base has learned to accept the organizational philosophy of mediocrity.

Avatar
#174 Spydyr
January 05 2014, 09:36AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Sisyphus wrote:

Just a thought....and let me be clear before I begin that I don't think any of Oilers current mgmt team is particularly brilliant.

That said, the Oilers are in a tough spot. Every GM in the league knows how bad we are, and how desperate we must be to improve. The current make-up of the team leaves very, very few truly trade-able assets to offer to other teams. The vast majority of our players (entire 3/4 lines, pretty much all dmen, all goalies) are the kind that other teams MIGHT see as fringe players at best. Certainly nothing worth trading for, let alone trading a solid NHL center/dman, etc. for.

Given that, I do think MacT may be trying his best, but he's finding that any trades at all in the next year or two are going to be very hard for the Oilers to break even on, let alone win. Other teams have little use for most of our players, and the players they would be interested in, we either can't or wont get rid of.

Gagner--never happening. Certainly not just before a NTC and contract starts. That's a fool's bet that he stops sucking. Hemmer--they'll just wait until he walks from EDM to pick him up, no one wants him for a playoff run. Yak might be valuable, but given his tantrums earlier, his one-dimensional play, the risk of KHL bolting--won't be as valuable as we'd really like. That leaves Ebs, RNH, and Hall. And two of the three we basically will not get rid of, no matter how bad things get.

So how DO you make the kind of big trades needed to improve this team in the next 1-4 years, when you basically only have 1.5 tradeable players to use (Ebs & Yak)?

Teams always look for defensive depth for the playoffs any of the eight 5-6 defencmen the Oilers have may be traded. Teams also look to have a veteran backup in goal if they are not sure of their starter ability of health both goalies are tradeable.

Teams will be looking to take advantage of a rookie GM in a position of weakness.

Avatar
#175 hall the time
January 05 2014, 09:39AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

I totally see firing Krueger was Klowes idea he probably said to MacT "you know what would be a good for publicity if get a new coach and show everybody your the new GM", but we all know it's still the KLowe show.

Avatar
#176 Rod from Viking
January 05 2014, 09:39AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

@michael

I had left the word "your" buddy out by mistake, Bob always takes Gord's calls,I listen everyday as well. The problem's the team has is not what Mac T or Dallas Eakins has done although Eakins has made some rookie mistakes that have made the situation worse.

If the rebuild started with drafting Taylor Hall the veteran players that have been brought in have for sure in hindsight been wrong and the only one of them currently in the NHL is Ryan Smyth,(Belanger,Barker,Eager,Hordichuck,Petrell) I didn't include Ryan Whitney and Andy Sutton because they were the right veterans until they got hurt. They somehow have to find a way to get some better veterans in here or the losing culture will continue and it can't wait for rookie players that will be here in 2-3 years. This all falls on the management and pro scouting staff that were here the previous 4 years.

Do you really think season ticket holders and fan's need to keep shelling out for this if none of this is addressed before season ticket renewal?

Avatar
#177 camdog
January 05 2014, 09:41AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
K_Mart wrote:

Shopping list has been the same ever since Visnovsky was given away and souray was run out of town...

Top veteran d man, top veteran centre who can teach these kids by showing them what to do.

and still we wait...

Visnovsky demanded a trade back to southern California. Tambelini honored the no trade clause, that Lowe ignored.

Avatar
#178 Shawn Cronin
January 05 2014, 09:42AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

Top 10 Oilers Problems: (in no particular order) 1) No veteran presence on top lines 2) The players. A bunch are just not as good as Oilers staff and media make them out to be. Defense and bottom 2 forward lines loaded with other teams AHL/KHL castoffs and very marginal NHLers. No coach in the world would win with this bunch. (ie crapola) 3) Terrible at faceoffs 4) Too many floaters 5) Too many forwards that are terrible defensively 6) This year, poor goaltending (Dubnyk is not that bad as this year has dictated) 7) The ex Oiler players in the organization (mgmt and asst coaches) are not good at what they do 8) All the coaching changes have left players confused on systems and probably feeling like they are not the problem....it's been past coaches. 9)If no one in upper management is being accountable, why should the players be? 10) Darryl Katz

Avatar
#179 S cottV
January 05 2014, 09:45AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers
JDP wrote:

He could be playing with cogs and winning some games as apposed to looking like a moron just like the rest of the team.

The Ducks would have quickly figured out that Shultz needs to work on the defensive side of his game in the AHL.

In fact they probably told him so to begin with and he bolted to a team dumb enough to play him from the get go.

Avatar
#180 Rod from Viking
January 05 2014, 09:49AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
OIL or NOTHING wrote:

Having read through the comments, I have only 1 question

Where is DSF?

I would prefer to have him around as blog clown over this "Josh Oiler"

He put up a couple of comments one night last week and they were very mild so maybe it wasn't really him.

Avatar
#181 michael
January 05 2014, 09:50AM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

Who thinks that part of Gagne's discontentment was being passed over for Captain by Eakins?

Eakins player management skills remind me of Mike Keenan. Basically he has none.

Tampa Bay tonight. Wonder what they think of -32/wc-39 this am as they get up for the morning skate. Maybe they'll stay in the hotel and forfeit this one.

Avatar
#182 Oliveoiler
January 05 2014, 09:52AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

I, like tens of thousand of others, am a die hard Oilers' addict. Can't help it - good or bad, I HAVE to support them. And that, my friends, I think is a huge part of the problem. We treat our players as Gods, we hope against hope that things will get better. It breaks our hearts when we lose, it breaks our hearts when a favourite is traded. So perhaps we should back off, stop slamming everyone involved and walk around with big grins on our faces. Perhaps our Gods don't like it when we criticize them, when we tell them to toughen up. Who am I kidding? no-one. We Oilers' fans will never change, why not? because we love our team and are the best fans in the NHL. So drop the trade axe all you like, the next Gods are waiting in the wings (or centre, or goal, or D zone) for our adoration. Let's hope the next group live up to our long-time hopes and expectations. Let's face it, we are loyal to the jersey, to the history and not one man makes a team. After all, the cup was one again without Gretzky, and he never won another.

Avatar
#183 K_Mart
January 05 2014, 09:53AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
michael wrote:

Who thinks that part of Gagne's discontentment was being passed over for Captain by Eakins?

Eakins player management skills remind me of Mike Keenan. Basically he has none.

Tampa Bay tonight. Wonder what they think of -32/wc-39 this am as they get up for the morning skate. Maybe they'll stay in the hotel and forfeit this one.

better odds of that than us actually earning the win ourselves.

Avatar
#184 Loweblows
January 05 2014, 10:08AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

Some teams have a teddy bear toss for charity when the home team scores. Our team which needs charity will have a jersey toss when we don't score.

Avatar
#185 2004Z06
January 05 2014, 10:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
vetinari wrote:

@Primo-- we all know that there are problems with the roster and problems with upper management, but how can anyone say that the present coaching team is not the number one problem right now?

We're worse in all aspects of the game, in the standings and in player morale and performance-- if that's not signs of a coaching problem, then what is?

Are you saying that it is better to stick with the current problem just because we've had too many coaches recently? That's like saying we should stick with a bad goalie just because it would be too hard on team morale to bring it a different goalie. Identify the problem and either do something to remove it or else if you have to live with it, then minimize it.

But our corsi numbers are fantastic! Bah ha ha ha.

On another note....Cogliano is an ironman. 502 consecutive games played and counting.

Avatar
#186 Spydyr
January 05 2014, 10:31AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Rod from Viking wrote:

He put up a couple of comments one night last week and they were very mild so maybe it wasn't really him.

It was a fake. Always check the avatar.

Avatar
#187 Josh Oiler
January 05 2014, 10:35AM
Trash it!
19
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

PLAY BAD FOR EKBLAD

Avatar
#188 RexHolez
January 05 2014, 10:42AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

Why the f*** has nothing f'ing happened yet? Why is Lowe still here? Why are the assistant coaches still here?? WTF? 4 years of an admitted rebuild and what's been rebuilt?? In what way are we any better than we were 4 years ago when we started "rebuilding"? If it wasn't for picking 1st we'd have nothing. How can we possibly be this incompetent and pathetic and still do nothing? This has to be the worst run organization I've ever seen, and it's allowed to continue??? Do the fans honestly have to start a mob complete with pitchforks and torches before anything changes?

Avatar
#189 Bryzarro World
January 05 2014, 10:43AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Walter Sobchak wrote:

Good points

I’ll concede the Vancouver point, but I’m wondering why the Oilers didn’t three way that deal? What gets me more is MacTavish then went out and got a career back up, a goalie that on his best day wouldn’t be able to compete with Dubnyk.

Why wouldn’t he look for a competent back up to challenge Dubnyk? A quick search just on NHL.com shows at least a half dozen teams the Oilers could trade with prior to the season even starting.

Instead MacTavish reacted late, over paid via UFA for a horrible goalie, and then signed an equally bad goalie again?

The Gagner deal actually is much worse in terms of leverage and tradability, prior to the season starting or the deal itself, Gagner should have been moved, when your average fan knows that your 2C isn’t going to get it done, then signing a guy based on character is by the very definition insane.

The fact that MacTavish was going to pay Clarkson more with longer term & the fact Clarkson choose the Leafs, tells us a couple things.

The Oilers have to grossly overpay for average talent, that free agents despite being thrown huge dollar’s by the Oilers would rather play elsewhere, but the most damning of all, the Oilers would rather whale hunt UFA’s then draft develop and procure talent through scouting & trades, this is the fundamental reason why the Oilers feel into the abyss in the first place, coincidentally under the MacTavish,Lowe,Tambellini era.

Pretty much. Imagine how AWESOME we'd be right now with Heatley and Jagr?........

Avatar
#190 K_Mart
January 05 2014, 10:50AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

Let's not forget, this is really only year one of the rebuild.

4 years from now Stauffer will be saying... "The Oilers were forcing their top picks hall rnh and yak right in to the line up in their rookie years which suggests that they were trying to win and believed they could make the playoffs instead of properly developing the talent and building a solid foundation. It wasn't until they sent Nurse back to jr. that they really started on the rebuilding path. Like I've always said, build from the back end out, and Nurse was the first piece to the puzzle."

Avatar
#191 Chet134
January 05 2014, 10:53AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Shawn Cronin wrote:

Top 10 Oilers Problems: (in no particular order) 1) No veteran presence on top lines 2) The players. A bunch are just not as good as Oilers staff and media make them out to be. Defense and bottom 2 forward lines loaded with other teams AHL/KHL castoffs and very marginal NHLers. No coach in the world would win with this bunch. (ie crapola) 3) Terrible at faceoffs 4) Too many floaters 5) Too many forwards that are terrible defensively 6) This year, poor goaltending (Dubnyk is not that bad as this year has dictated) 7) The ex Oiler players in the organization (mgmt and asst coaches) are not good at what they do 8) All the coaching changes have left players confused on systems and probably feeling like they are not the problem....it's been past coaches. 9)If no one in upper management is being accountable, why should the players be? 10) Darryl Katz

I totally agree with ur comments. No veterns in the top six and defense is the bigest problem our team. Break it down people: Nick Schultz 5/6 defenseman Andrew Ference 5/6 defenseman playing too many minutes Belov: 42 games in the NHL rookie Potter: ahl player Larsen: ahl players Grevishkov: didn't play in the NHL the last three years Maurincin: 6 games in the NHL rookie Other schultz: 85 games in the NHL. Basically a rookie. Petry playing too many minutes. Number four defenseman. 29 teams have a better defense than us. Ask yourself how many of these players can make a first pass out of our zone to a attacking forward. One or two of these kids. Maybe. That's why ur seeing a 50/50 pass off the boards where we lose possession cuz we have troubles winning one on one battles. Who do we have in the AHL is replace these kids? No one. This defense is TERRIBLE. U can't coach crap.

Avatar
#192 K_Mart
January 05 2014, 10:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Not sure why anyone expected us to even be a bubble team this year.

We are the youngest team in the league when you average the age of players based on minutes played each night.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/10/17/are-the-edmonton-oilers-the-youngest-team-in-the-league-or-how-math-shrunk-big-john-scott/

Chicago scores the most and their top 4 forwards are 34,32,25,25 years of age.

Ours are 20,20,22,23. Think about it. Not realistic for fans to expect the smallest, youngest, least physical forward core to actually succeed at this level.

Avatar
#193 Spydyr
January 05 2014, 10:59AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
K_Mart wrote:

Not sure why anyone expected us to even be a bubble team this year.

We are the youngest team in the league when you average the age of players based on minutes played each night.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/10/17/are-the-edmonton-oilers-the-youngest-team-in-the-league-or-how-math-shrunk-big-john-scott/

Chicago scores the most and their top 4 forwards are 34,32,25,25 years of age.

Ours are 20,20,22,23. Think about it. Not realistic for fans to expect the smallest, youngest, least physical forward core to actually succeed at this level.

I didn't but I did expect them to try.

Avatar
#194 K_Mart
January 05 2014, 11:00AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

I didn't but I did expect them to try.

yeah me too. what fools we are. I also expected them to "not get worse". boy do i feel dumb.

Avatar
#195 YAKCITY64
January 05 2014, 11:03AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
michael wrote:

I can't speak for BOB. But do you actually listen to his show. All the time? I do. Whether live or podcast later. He is just as hard on the poor play by the team as anyone else here in Edmonton. The Oilers record is near indefensible.

Where we see whats going on on the ice Bob sees also what is going on off the ice. He cannot report everything he sees and hears. Its incumbent upon him though to report the facts.

I feel for the team right now. Now isn't the time to sharpen the knives. And I much as anyone wish this season had gone different. The results are what they are and going into 2014 we are 29th in the standing. Who would have thought that?

I saw us as 20-23 place team. The needs of this team are glaring. Realignment intothe Pacific Division has shown us what are sorely lacking.

Backin the day the Smythe Division was one of the strongest. Because the Oilers,Flames and Jets all had good teams and competed to be top dog. The Pacific Division has 3 ofthetopdogsin the WC. For the Oilers to be competitive they are going to have a team that has skill,size and not just average goaltending but great goaltending. MacT has a lot of work to do to reshape this team. Eakins has a lot of work to do also. On the ice and off the ice. Eakins has his faults and by goodness when your record is as poor as ours is those faults are just like a spotlight.

I am as frustrated as anyone but when I look at the WC standings and see who is on top I can't help but be a little jealous. But they too paid in terrible season after terrible season.The top dogs did not get there overnight. I want to be Chicago or San Jose or LA. But mistakes in the past 5 years have cost us dearly. Drafting for more size and grit and character is needed. MacT came in last draft and Nurse was our number 1 pick. Moroz number 2.I can't argue those picks. Greg Chase in the 7th round? It will take MacTand Eakins more than just this year and next to get this train wreck moving in the right direction.

Bob Stauffer.... GO AWAY OILERSNATION DOESNT WANT YOU HERE:)

Avatar
#196 michael
January 05 2014, 11:05AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@Rod in Viking.

Your right about the quality of the veterans that have passed through of late. Though MACT has been better by bringing in Ference and Gordon. IB has been good.Gazdic better than good.

MacT though wasted several contracts this past off season. Including Acton,Grebby and Hamilton and SMACK(who I like but he was never used). He has managed to dump a couple of contracts so far and come this off season should be able to shave 7-10 more. Explain to me how Joensuu was an upgrade on Petrell? who 5x5 was a non factor but was a beast on the PK. JJ has done exactly what? Ryan Jones? the word squat comes to mind. Corey Potter? Even fictional Harry Potter couldn't abracadabra his poor play away. Larsen? Size matters at this level.Especially on defence. Belov? A long way to go.

I would like to see the Oilers part ways with Hemsky. N Shultz and Ryan Smyth. As far as Gagner is concerned he has not shown diddly in the way of defensive zone improvement. Trading him to NJ or to the NYIsles might be the ticket. Arcobello as a stop gap until the summer at 2cd line center is fine by me.

Like we all think and post this team has a long way to go.

Avatar
#197 Freewheeling Freddie
January 05 2014, 11:08AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

All the young kids on this team have heard what this city is like during the playoffs. You know they want to be part of it. I really do feel sorry for some of these kids .The pain in their faces after each loss. It is like there in quicksand with no hope. It has become disgraceful how a team with such history has become the laughing stock of the NHL. Daryl please please please please wake up. Time for drastic change up top .Putting your head in the sand like an ostrich wont cut it.

Avatar
#198 Spydyr
January 05 2014, 11:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
K_Mart wrote:

yeah me too. what fools we are. I also expected them to "not get worse". boy do i feel dumb.

But not Josh dumb.

Avatar
#199 Brian
January 05 2014, 11:17AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

How bout Gags to Carolina for Keegan Lowe, or would Lowe refuse to report?

Avatar
#200 Athabascajim
January 05 2014, 11:18AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Woogie63 wrote:

Lots of talk of firing Lowe, but WHO replaces him. The President of hockey operations is critical to the vision and the standard for the team for the next ten years. It is one thing to hate on Lowe, but getting the highest quality to replace him may not be that easy.

Maggie the monkey could do a better job than KLowe.

Comments are closed for this article.