THE TEAM....

Jason Gregor
January 07 2014 10:30AM

Canada finally announced their 2014 roster for the Sochi Olympics, and without a doubt the biggest surprise is Claude Giroux not making the team.

There are eleven returning players on the 25-man roster, but in my eyes Rick Nash continues to be the most overrated player in the NHL. Nash has had one 70-point season, and since the 2010 Olympics he has scored 185 points in 228 games, 25th most amongst Canadian-born players. In that same time span Marty St.Louis has scored the most points, 271, while Giroux is third with 255.

Giroux is flat out more competitive game in, game out than Nash. Nash has only two goals in 16 NHL playoff games, but Hockey Canada seems to put more onus on the fact he has played well at the water-downed World Championships.

Nash did play okay at the last Olympics, but how much of that was because he was on Toews line, and Toews was the best player in the tournament.

Nash has 18 points in 27 games this year. No one can say he is playing well, or close to the level of Claude Giroux, but Hockey Canada choose him because he's played for them before. I guess Giroux should not play crappier in the NHL so his team could miss the playoffs and he can pad his stats at the World Championships.

Here is the roster, returning players have **.

Goalies:

  • Roberto Luongo**
  • Carey Price
  • Mike Smith

Defence:

  • Jay Bouwmeester
  • Drew Doughty**
  • Dan Hamuis
  • Duncan Keith**
  • Alex Pietrangelo
  • PK Subban
  • Marc-Edouard Vlasic
  • Shea Weber**

Forwards:

  • Jamie Benn
  • Patrice Bergeron**
  • Jeff Carter
  • Sidney Crosby**
  • Matt Duchene
  • Ryan Getzlaf**
  • Chris Kunitz
  • Patrick Marleau**
  • Rick Nash**
  • Corey Perry**
  • Patrick Sharp
  • Steven Stamkos
  • John Tavares
  • Jonathan Toews**

I still believe Canada is the favourite, because of the blueline and their top-six forwards; Crosby, Tavares, Stamkos, Getzlaf, Perry and Toews.

It will be an awesome tournament and I can't wait to watch, but picking Nash over Giroux makes little sense. Essentially they are basing it on seven good games that happened four years ago. Horrible decision.

Which decision surpised you?

RECENTLY BY JASON GREGOR 

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#151 Rob...
January 07 2014, 12:56PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

@He Who Knows

FTFY: "Hey Gregor, I heard Lowe is going to be on your show today. This is your chance to grill his ass and let him know the fanbase despise his actions since the summer of 2006."

Avatar
#152 A-Mc
January 07 2014, 12:59PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

@Zarny

Its too bad that when you're challenged you resort to name calling. You shouldn't let a hockey fan site bring you down like that.

Avatar
#153 S cottV
January 07 2014, 12:59PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
ToppsSmith wrote:

He is one of the better defensive choices. He has wheels and can see the plays develop. He is an extremely smart player. However I didn't expect to see him.

He also has a lot of international experience and plays well on big ice.

It is a different game and some guys more suited than others, to make the adjustments required.

Avatar
#154 LoweBlow
January 07 2014, 01:10PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

I can't bloody wait to see this team play!!!! For an Oiler fan, this'll be the first decent team we'll have had to cheer for in a LONG time!

Avatar
#155 A-Mc
January 07 2014, 01:14PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
LoweBlow wrote:

I can't bloody wait to see this team play!!!! For an Oiler fan, this'll be the first decent team we'll have had to cheer for in a LONG time!

i neeeeeed 'dis!

This is all we have to look forward to this year. It'll be a welcome distraction.

Although i'm going to have to stay away from twitter and the interwebs until after i finish watching the games.

If canada makes it into the final medal rounds, i might just take the next day off work so i can watch the games live. Hearing the score before you've watched the game is such a killjoy and with the excitement of the final in 2010.. i dont think there's any choice. I need to watch it live!

Avatar
#156 ToppsSmith
January 07 2014, 01:25PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Me wrote:

You still havent said how he's inferior... so explain...you also said they went with "handedness" over "skill", so how are you arguing against Kunitz skill? IDIOT.

I think Kunitz was more a pick to stick with Crosby who he has played with for a good part of the year. Instant chemistry for a national team is hard to get. I think a few of these guys made the team on that alone. Someone a Superstar can bounce off of naturally. Other nations will lack this at this level. Also he can play all 4 lines. Kunitz is a smarter pick if you look deep at it.

Avatar
#157 Zarny
January 07 2014, 01:26PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
A-Mc wrote:

When people are discussing the roster for team canada, things are said like "he wouldnt be good for this team", "he isn't a good option", "That's an OK choice, but for my money there are players who are better", etc.

Rick Nash hasn't been described as a "good" option. "Good", "Great fit", "Excellent choice", "Super player", etc. None of these terms are used to describe Nash's place on this team.

He's an OK choice, but (as you agree) there are better options. He's an OK player for Team Canada. That's all i'm saying. I wouldnt have taken him and obviously you agree.

I'm really not sure why you've created this Hill over the "OK" Nash label, and are now willing to die on it.

Nash is a great player in the NHL. He's an OK player for Team Canada. Using terms like Dumba$$, dolt, idiotic, and then finishing with the condescending term of "laughable", is a little much dont you think?

It is my observation that you try fairly hard to be pedantic at best, and flat out Troll-like at worst. Why all the negativity man!?

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!?!

You're right it is a bit much and troll-like. My bad.

I think it's simply ridiculous to label a player that is at worst 15-16th on the depth chart as OK.

Perhaps it's semantics, but Nash is a good choice for Team Canada. IMO not the best choice but he's far better than OK.

Rob Zaumner in Nagano. Now that was an OK pick.

Avatar
#158 Tikkanese
January 07 2014, 02:00PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Canada's "B" team starting lineup:

1st line Carter Marleau Nash

1st D paring Vlasic Hamhuis

Starting Goalie Smith

See what I did there?

Avatar
#159 Zarny
January 07 2014, 02:16PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

Looking through the list of forwards - the G and D I have zero problem with - Fleury has the same rep with hockey cda as dubnyk has with oiler fans. 4left 4right makes perfect sense - three things dominate:

Speed

Size

Seniority

Speed - every player is in the top percentile for speed

Size - every player is 6ft or over except crosby and Duchene - both at 5'11"

Seniority - eleven alumni

Apply all those criteria and the likes of st louis (size) and Giroux (5'11" 172lbs and declined to play for HC in the past) are knocked out.

This is a team that will not be beaten to a puck nor will it be knocked off the puck.

The one thing that may be missing - believe it or not - or at least was further down the list is playmaking. And playmaking begets scoring chances and goals. This may be a team that struggles to score against a disciplined defensive team - i'm looking at you sweden.

The three that I quibble with are:

Marleau - Got exposed/disappeared in the playoffs in years past. Perhaps in a less physically brutal olympic game he will play at a high level

Carter - Defensively how good is he? aren't there better options (see below)

Nash - Big ? - is he back to past levels or is he damaged like LeCavalier? going to be hard to tell him to go on the DL if he is subpar.

In their place i would have like to have seen:

Seguin - excellent two way player and playmaker can SKATE

Hall - lots of things in his favour - two Mem cup MVPs, natural LW to name two

Skinner - natural LW - great skater, even better shot- beats the very best goalies, Fearless

All three are part of the young guard, play on teams that are out of the playoffs, and are not part of the HC establishment.

Should this team fail, the place to start in the questioning will be with leaving these guys off. TOO conservative and approach will be the refrain.

Bang on that Hockey Canada favors seniority and experience. When you see Canada's World Jr's freeze under the pressure it's easy to see why.

Marleau will be fine on big ice. Super fast, kills penalties and extremely versatile. He doesn't have to be the man.

Carter is very good defensively contrary to some comments here. He killed penalties with Richards in Phi. Speed is the question mark with Carter on the big ice.

Nash is a big ?. Not playing well after the concussion, but again kills penalties and can play on a checking line.

Seguin and Hall are too young and inexperienced. They still try to force too risky plays instead of being patient.

Not to mention Bos had to put a bodyguard in front of Seguin's hotel room during the playoffs so he wouldn't skip out and party. Talented but nowhere near mature enough to play against the best of the best.

Skinner simply isn't good enough. He's not the same caliber as Hall or Seguin.

Avatar
#160 Me
January 07 2014, 02:34PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Zarny wrote:

Yep, my Delorean is red and it is super cool.

Stamkos and Tavares aren't the most well-rounded players either. Their offense though makes up for it as will Hall's.

Hall has 88 pts in his last 82 games as a 21 y/o. 5-10 players a year put up more than a pt/gm over a whole season.

Kunitz is a questionable pick because the debate is top line with Crosby or not good enough for the Olympics.

Red is not cool at all.

you are speaking in the future about Hall again, so that is meaningless right now. I'm not arguing that he'll most likely be way more in the mix in the future if he actually improves in other aspects besides offense.

Again...points....Kunitz top LW for points...Hall third..and he plays on a good team where you are accountable and dont get to take a lot of chances and not come back full speed...Hall.

Points...is only a part of the equation.

Avatar
#161 Dog Train
January 07 2014, 03:08PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

I understand the lefty-right balance but I would have had Seabrook there before Hamhuis. Seabrook played poorly at the last Olympics but he is a better player now and likely wouldn't be as flustered this time around. I agree that Giroux should have made the team, he is the biggest surprise omission to me. I would have had him on the team before Nash or Carter.

Team Canada will always have a gold-medal calibre roster on paper. The key will be getting the goaltending because most other countries have better goaltending on paper. After seeing the final rosters, I think Sweden might have the most complete roster.

Avatar
#162 RexHolez
January 07 2014, 03:21PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Zarny wrote:

And yet Lowe is still included in the Hockey Canada brain trust.

Sort of tells you the merit of all the Lowe criticism doesn't it.

I think the teams record in the last 8 years is all the merit needed for criticism.... But this isn't the thread for that! Go Canada

Little surprised ham humid made it and agree nash is lucky too

Avatar
#163 Slats
January 07 2014, 03:40PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
corky wrote:

Whats laughable is that Kevin Lowe is still part of this Team Canada "brainstrust".

someone needed to read the card . . . .

Avatar
#164 Randy
January 07 2014, 04:52PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

Valeri Nichushkin makes Russia Olympic team Yakupov does not

Hmmm

Avatar
#165 TigerUnderGlass
January 07 2014, 05:07PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

I like how the guy who can't quite grasp why people might question the Kunitz selection is calling people idiots.

Avatar
#166 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 07 2014, 05:16PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Cold Hard Truth wrote:

New Rule: Nobody is allowed to use the semicolon anymore. Use a period instead. 90% of the posters on this board use it incorrectly.

Jonathan Willis uses them correctly, albeit too liberally.

Really;

I hate it even worse when these guys don't properly site their references in the bibliography!

Avatar
#167 hockey fan 1976
January 07 2014, 06:39PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Make no mistake about it guys, the reason Yakupov did not make the Russian team is because of the way his lack of playing minutes was handled earlier in the year and how much of a drama-queen he was about it. Russia could have easily over-looked his lack of scoring so far this year due to the fact that he plays for the Oilers and he has been handled wrong in the line up. As a natural scorer and PP specialist he's on this team, as an immature, whiny baby he's not.

Avatar
#168 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
January 07 2014, 12:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

@john

So team Canada won't medal but the Oil will turn it around in the second half?

Pass that pipe, please.

Avatar
#169 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 07 2014, 12:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
A-Mc wrote:

It might spark some epic LULZ if someone were to 'leak' edmontons draft rankings over the last 8 years.

I'm rather curious about the disparity between teams' rankings, and their reasoning behind it.

If you look closely at the Oil Change episode that covers the draft there are several frames of video where they show last years list but they blur out the names......but you can actually figure out the names based on the blurred letters, combined with the names we know are on the list, and the LENGTH of the names.

If I remember correctly they had Monahan at 4 and Nichushkyn right after Nurse. But my memory is bad....someone should go back and view it again.

Avatar
#170 john
January 07 2014, 12:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Jordan Nugent-Hallkins wrote:

So team Canada won't medal but the Oil will turn it around in the second half?

Pass that pipe, please.

I m saying Oilers will play spoilers, they are not going to make playoffs this year or next year with Eakins. I don't smoke, I see Oilers getting smoked each game is enough for everyone.

Avatar
#171 Jeffff
January 07 2014, 12:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Every player cannot be the same. You need to build a team, they picked team Canada with that in mind. Each player has a role to play with different strength's. Hall did not make this team because the didn't need another player with excellent speed. They needed something different.

Avatar
#172 pkam
January 07 2014, 12:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
S cottV wrote:

I wonder where the Oilers had Jamie Benn in the 2007 draft?

They took a lot of guys ahead of him that never turned into anything close to this guy.

He would sure look good at centre for the Oilers.

29 other teams passed on him for 4 rounds. Oilers didn't even have a 2nd and 3rd round picks that year. So in a sense, we were better than the other 29 teams since they all had more picks than us yet they passed on him.

Avatar
#173 Johnnydapunk
January 07 2014, 12:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Tikkanese wrote:

World Cup is superior to the Olympics.

1. Every team gets an actual training camp. This eliminates the debates over who should have been named to the team. It also creates chemistry for the teams by not relying on one or two practices for that chemistry.

2. No interupted NHL schedule

3. No condensed NHL schedule

4. No 5 A.M. game times due to time zone issues

5. Gives us hockey in the summer

6. The players will like it better as they will get paid for it as opposed to the Olympics

7. If Olympics are back to the amateurs, it gives the possibility of another "Miracle On Ice" to happen again

8. An amateur Olympic program in the past gave us great players such as Cliff Ronning, that would have never made it otherwise. It also strengthens other tournaments such as the Spengler Cup

9. There would be more parity in the Olympics. Even the USA domination of basketball is another example for things to change

I'm prepared for a trashing here...

I don't know if I would call the World Cup superior, it's different and is for a different market.

I'm not going to question all of your points as there is only a few that I kindof disagree with.

4. Regarding time zones, that 5 am start thing, it only applies to North America as 5 am as in Europe it is a normal evening time. I don't see that being an issue if the "World Cup" is actually held worldwide.

5. I could be wrong, but the NHL has an 82 game schedule which is one of the longest hockey schedules worldwide, and I don't know how much the players would want to play or prepare for a summer tournament. I think the players breaking down would be an issue.

6. I. Not sure where payment would come in unless there was some type of prize money involved, there is also the issue of insurance as I don't think too many team owners would be or even are happy with releasing their 5 mil a year player for a summer tournament.

7/9 I don't think there is any fear of a "Miracle on Ice" moment not happening as there is quite a bit of parity among Olympic teams, it just takes time, and you are seeing it with teams like Switzerland for example, who beat Canada in 2010 in the round robin part. I think the IIHF is doing a tremendous job of raising the level of international hockey with their World Championship structure. No one really expected the Finns to win the World Juniors this year, so gold is not guaranteed for anyone.

8. I don't think there is any country that has a full time "National team" anymore, I can only guess that it is a money issue as a National Team program can't be cheap. Something similar to football(soccer) scenario with national team breaks can't really work either as the season is pretty packed as it is.

The idea of a "World Cup" of hockey in the format that was used in 2004 and before, seems only popular in North America as a lot of Europeans take the Olympics and IIHF World Championships as their "World Cup" they both are massively important and popular to watch and players take it very seriously (well Europeans )

Ideally it would be good for the IIHF to move the world championships to a later time so it would get more North American interest, but I guess that affects the European leagues.

Apologies for the novel, I get on a topic and latch on to it :-P

Avatar
#174 Serious Gord
January 07 2014, 01:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Tikkanese wrote:

World Cup is superior to the Olympics.

1. Every team gets an actual training camp. This eliminates the debates over who should have been named to the team. It also creates chemistry for the teams by not relying on one or two practices for that chemistry.

2. No interupted NHL schedule

3. No condensed NHL schedule

4. No 5 A.M. game times due to time zone issues

5. Gives us hockey in the summer

6. The players will like it better as they will get paid for it as opposed to the Olympics

7. If Olympics are back to the amateurs, it gives the possibility of another "Miracle On Ice" to happen again

8. An amateur Olympic program in the past gave us great players such as Cliff Ronning, that would have never made it otherwise. It also strengthens other tournaments such as the Spengler Cup

9. There would be more parity in the Olympics. Even the USA domination of basketball is another example for things to change

It will never go back to amateur. It will be U20 just like soccer. that means a few NHLers and KHLers will be eligible and will play.

And thus it will be the world juniors on steroids - and the imbalances will remain.

Avatar
#175 A-Mc
January 07 2014, 01:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Question: if the NHL doesnt go to Korea in 2018, but instead does the world cup thing, Is the world cup every year? What is the frequency of the tournament?

I think the 4 year cyclic nature of the Olympics plays a big part in boosting the importance of the hockey tournament. Having a tournament every year might result in a lesser product. Olympic hockey is brutal awesome.. Emotionally it kicks the piss out of us fans. If it were to happen every year, i'm not sure i could say the same thing..

Avatar
#176 Serious Gord
January 07 2014, 01:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

I also like the World Cup idea but it should be every four years not every two. If it happens too often players will start to back out after long playoff runs.

They should also find that old Canada Cup trophy , award that and call it The Canada Cup.

Gretzky to Lemiuix..... Will it ever get better?

It will be every two - twice the dough ray me.

And twice as many discussions like this.

I love the idea it should be the cda cup. and the cup is on display at the HHOF - it has a slight bend in its tip and looks fantastic.

So every two years - the rotation would be: Canada - Russia/Eastern Europe - United States - Scandinavia. - Thus big crowds every year - not the empty stands like you are going to see in seoul.

Avatar
#177 Zarny
January 07 2014, 01:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
A-Mc wrote:

Question: if the NHL doesnt go to Korea in 2018, but instead does the world cup thing, Is the world cup every year? What is the frequency of the tournament?

I think the 4 year cyclic nature of the Olympics plays a big part in boosting the importance of the hockey tournament. Having a tournament every year might result in a lesser product. Olympic hockey is brutal awesome.. Emotionally it kicks the piss out of us fans. If it were to happen every year, i'm not sure i could say the same thing..

The NHL brass certainly prefer a World Cup; I think the plan they have is every 4 years like the Olympics. Maybe every 2 but certainly not every year.

Avatar
#178 Zarny
January 07 2014, 01:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Me wrote:

The only place where this is an issue is in sOiler country, Hall doesn't even make the TSN poll as a suprise not being on the team. He's not the first or second highest scoring LW from Canada either, he's 3rd. I wonder if they are whining in Winnipeg today (and showing how a "fan" struggles to be objective) that Bryan Little never came up since he was as of last night the 4th highest point totalled RW, behind Eberle who also never came up.

Hall has the highest pt/gm for all Canadian LW over the last year.

And no Hall doesn't make the TSN poll because he turned 22 less than 2 months ago and has only played 209 NHL games.

Compared to say Duchene who is 10 months older and has played close to 100 more NHL games.

If the Olympics were next year Hall would be a lock.

Deal with it.

Avatar
#179 The Real Scuba Steve
January 07 2014, 01:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Oilerz4life wrote:

Sorry, I forgot that this is OILERSNATION.COM. What are you the blog police?

No kidding, quit your crying and go to NHL.com.

Avatar
#180 Me
January 07 2014, 01:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Zarny wrote:

The NHL brass certainly prefer a World Cup; I think the plan they have is every 4 years like the Olympics. Maybe every 2 but certainly not every year.

What's the reason the World Championships have to be so close to the playoffs every year?

Avatar
#181 Zarny
January 07 2014, 01:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
LoweBlow wrote:

I know y'all dislike Nash and consider Giroux a 'better hockey player'. I believe this is true in a top 6 role. Nash however played on a checking line with Toews & Richards in the 2010 games. That line was magnificent at shutting down Dats-Ovi-Malkin.

Sadly, Giroux's passion will be Ieft out. I still remember him laying out Crosby 30sec into Game 5 before the Flyers knocked out The Pens 2012. Perhaps the rapport between Crosby & Giroux played a roll!

I believe Babcock will put Toews-Sharp-Nash together for a checking line. No one can score on these guys!

My lines.

Kunitz-Crosby-Stamkos Benn-Getzlaf-Perry Sharp-Toews-Nash Duchesne-Tavares-Carter Bergeron (Marleau-extra)

My alternatives: Mike Richards>Marleau Seabrook>Hamhuis (chemistry is a premium in this tourney, he & Keith) Anyone>Bouwmeester

On big ice Marleau > Richards. He also plays the W not C like Richards. Same goes with Carter...he can play RW. Joe Thornton would make the team at C before Mike Richards.

Duncan Keith will play with Drew Doughty on the top pair; Seabrook and Keith were never going to be paired together this Olympics.

Hamhuis shoots left; Seabrook shoots right. That's what the decision is based on. I suppose you can disagree with that strategy, but Babcock has won a Stanley Cup and Olympic gold so his opinion counts more.

Bouwmeester is one of the best skating D in the NHL and plays regularly with Pietrangelo. He also shoots left which after Pronger and Neidermeyer retired Canada is in short supply of.

Avatar
#182 ToppsSmith
January 07 2014, 01:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Me wrote:

The only place where this is an issue is in sOiler country, Hall doesn't even make the TSN poll as a suprise not being on the team. He's not the first or second highest scoring LW from Canada either, he's 3rd. I wonder if they are whining in Winnipeg today (and showing how a "fan" struggles to be objective) that Bryan Little never came up since he was as of last night the 4th highest point totalled RW, behind Eberle who also never came up.

Ya I said it before and I'll say it again. I would loved to see Hall and Eberle play on the big ice and play with a pure playmaker like Thorton. I think Hall didn't come up on TSN because that network hates the west coast teams. (Like most networks) they put them on TV, but they always favor Toronto or Montreal. It's grossly obvious too.

Avatar
#183 Spydyr
January 07 2014, 01:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Me wrote:

What's the reason the World Championships have to be so close to the playoffs every year?

The European hockey season ends then. The World Championships is thier Stanley Cup.

Avatar
#184 Carlos Danger
January 07 2014, 02:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Does anyone have the projected lines and d pairings from TSN

Avatar
#185 Serious Gord
January 07 2014, 02:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Johnnydapunk wrote:

I'm prepared for a trashing here...

I don't know if I would call the World Cup superior, it's different and is for a different market.

I'm not going to question all of your points as there is only a few that I kindof disagree with.

4. Regarding time zones, that 5 am start thing, it only applies to North America as 5 am as in Europe it is a normal evening time. I don't see that being an issue if the "World Cup" is actually held worldwide.

5. I could be wrong, but the NHL has an 82 game schedule which is one of the longest hockey schedules worldwide, and I don't know how much the players would want to play or prepare for a summer tournament. I think the players breaking down would be an issue.

6. I. Not sure where payment would come in unless there was some type of prize money involved, there is also the issue of insurance as I don't think too many team owners would be or even are happy with releasing their 5 mil a year player for a summer tournament.

7/9 I don't think there is any fear of a "Miracle on Ice" moment not happening as there is quite a bit of parity among Olympic teams, it just takes time, and you are seeing it with teams like Switzerland for example, who beat Canada in 2010 in the round robin part. I think the IIHF is doing a tremendous job of raising the level of international hockey with their World Championship structure. No one really expected the Finns to win the World Juniors this year, so gold is not guaranteed for anyone.

8. I don't think there is any country that has a full time "National team" anymore, I can only guess that it is a money issue as a National Team program can't be cheap. Something similar to football(soccer) scenario with national team breaks can't really work either as the season is pretty packed as it is.

The idea of a "World Cup" of hockey in the format that was used in 2004 and before, seems only popular in North America as a lot of Europeans take the Olympics and IIHF World Championships as their "World Cup" they both are massively important and popular to watch and players take it very seriously (well Europeans )

Ideally it would be good for the IIHF to move the world championships to a later time so it would get more North American interest, but I guess that affects the European leagues.

Apologies for the novel, I get on a topic and latch on to it :-P

Follow the money.

The various Hockey federations make bupkiss sending teams to the olympics. Hell the NHL wasn't even allowed to put a video of the gold medal goal on its website. Because of that the olympics have been a dead cat in terms of marketing revenues for the NHL/KHL.

A World Cup will make tons of dough every two years for everyone - including NHL players who won't even be playing via revenue sharing. The KHL and Swedish Elite leagues will be all over it.

The only reason why the pros went to Sochi was as a peace offering to the KHL. Now that that has been done the Pro leagues will sit down and hammer out the format for a pro world cup in 2016.

Played in last half of sept and first week of oct. - Think world cup final on Canadian Thanksgiving every two years...

Avatar
#186 Me
January 07 2014, 02:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Rick Stroppel wrote:

A TIME AND A PLACE

Listen buddy, this is the place to talk about the Olympic team, not the Oilers! Everybody knows that Lowe is a CONCEITED, EGOTISTICAL NINCOMPOOP, but this is not the appropriate place to point that out!

Last I checked sLowe was up there at the Olympic management table, keep your badge in your pocket...youre off duty here occifffer

Avatar
#187 Tikkanese
January 07 2014, 02:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers
stg wrote:

Are you kidding me hes a 4th liner for edmonton how would he possibly make team canade

Geez, the joke went way over your head and those who put thumbs down on the comment as well. How was that not painfully obviously a joke?

Avatar
#188 Slats
January 07 2014, 03:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

Congrats to Hemmer for making Team Czech

and Petr Nedved!!!!! Are you kidding me at 42 years young - wait until braintrust signs him to a 3 year deal for the Oil . . . .

Avatar
#189 Spydyr
January 07 2014, 04:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
stg wrote:

Are you kidding me hes a 4th liner for edmonton how would he possibly make team canade

Why not , Lowe did.

Avatar
#190 Me
January 07 2014, 04:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Slats wrote:

Congrats to Hemmer for making Team Czech

and Petr Nedved!!!!! Are you kidding me at 42 years young - wait until braintrust signs him to a 3 year deal for the Oil . . . .

That's bs Petr Nedved is Canadian, should be on our Oly team..AGAIN!!!!

Avatar
#191 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 07 2014, 04:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

Biggest shock to me is that a dozen or so highly paid experts with decades of NHL experience and acumen have been meeting on this roster for about 18 months...dozens of meetings, hundreds of man hours, etc....and give or take one or two players...between whom the difference is razor thin, they come up with the exact same roster as a few hundred fans on a blog site who put about twenty minutes thought into it.....incredible when you think about it.......I think the process is over hyped.

Avatar
#192 madjam
January 07 2014, 05:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

They are playing on the big ice surface but realize they have to offensively crash the net with size to score , as most squads will clog up the middle of ice . Joe Thornton is one I would have put on for his adapt handling of puck around net area and setting up others . I would also have added Lucic for crashing the net and opposing defenceman , and physicality purpose . Your not going to get many goals from the periphery or outside in Olympic Tourney .

Avatar
#193 Lawndemon
January 07 2014, 05:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Eberle4MVP wrote:

Thank you for the spelling lesson. Ill make sure to use spell check on a friggen blog...

I think you meant "friggin"... with an "i" not an "e".

Avatar
#194 Spoils
January 07 2014, 05:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

I want to start a meme of picking a 2nd team Canada. They send two bobsled teams don't they?

#Canada2

Avatar
#195 Serious Gord
January 07 2014, 06:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Zarny wrote:

Yep, my Delorean is red and it is super cool.

Stamkos and Tavares aren't the most well-rounded players either. Their offense though makes up for it as will Hall's.

Hall has 88 pts in his last 82 games as a 21 y/o. 5-10 players a year put up more than a pt/gm over a whole season.

Kunitz is a questionable pick because the debate is top line with Crosby or not good enough for the Olympics.

If Crosby is out then Kunitz doesn't dress. There is enough room on the roster to have him there when sid is healthy.

Avatar
#196 Rod from Viking
January 07 2014, 06:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Stan wrote:

Biggest shock to me was Logan Couture not making the team

He was having surgery this week out for a month.

Avatar
#197 RexHolez
January 07 2014, 07:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
RexHolez wrote:

Crosby doesn't get along with Giroux. Sid's team. Why else would Kunitz make it? Giroux is even better than him!

Who is this guy always posting sh!t with the same name?

Avatar
#198 Harlie
January 07 2014, 07:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Marleau? Seriously??

http://oilersnation.com/uploads/Image/PattyMarleau12.jpg

" I always thought that someone that was extremely talented that had that grit, that had that fire, that showed the emotion and got pissed off, I always thought that that was a much more effective player, and Patrick never gave that to me. That always frustrated me. 

I don't know how you can go through a career or go through a season and never change your demeanor, never change your facial expression, not get pissed off and break something. I just don't understand that. "

http://oilersnation.com/2012/11/27/roenick-stops-by

Avatar
#199 Rdubb
January 08 2014, 08:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Were there surprises on Team Canada yesterday, YOU BET!!! But, why didn't they take guys who play left-wing instead of so many centre's? I hate to be a homer, but I really think that Hall should have been named to Team Canada for several reasons, they are; - he is a natural LW and Team Canada doesn't have many natural LW'ingers, that alone blows my mind - he has speed, speed many players wish they had, and that speed would be a HUGE advantage on the bigger ice surface, it would open up so much room for the so called "skilled" players - he'll go into the "dirty areas" when he needs to, although we haven't seen that so much this past season plus - he can force d-men back, thus opening up the offensive zone - he'll be a very important part of future international games for Canada, and this would have been a very good experience - last yr he was the 2nd best lw (behind Ovie), and this season his stats (offensive) are just as good. He is tied for 2nd in A's from LW, T10 in G & T13 in SOG for the season. - imagine how good he'd be playing with an EXPERIENCED C like Crosby, Stamkos, or playing with Getzlaf & Perry??? - He is much better suited to play for TC than Marleau, Carter or Nash...Lowe even said Nash was put on the team because of his past experience wearing the Canadian Jersey...he (Nash) is perhaps the MOST OVERRATED player/forward in the NHL, he doesn't deserve the HUGE contract that he has, he has never led a team to anything, and I think always crumbled when the pressure was on his, look @ his CBJ days...

just my thoughts Peck

Avatar
#200 Serious Gord
January 08 2014, 09:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Rdubb wrote:

Were there surprises on Team Canada yesterday, YOU BET!!! But, why didn't they take guys who play left-wing instead of so many centre's? I hate to be a homer, but I really think that Hall should have been named to Team Canada for several reasons, they are; - he is a natural LW and Team Canada doesn't have many natural LW'ingers, that alone blows my mind - he has speed, speed many players wish they had, and that speed would be a HUGE advantage on the bigger ice surface, it would open up so much room for the so called "skilled" players - he'll go into the "dirty areas" when he needs to, although we haven't seen that so much this past season plus - he can force d-men back, thus opening up the offensive zone - he'll be a very important part of future international games for Canada, and this would have been a very good experience - last yr he was the 2nd best lw (behind Ovie), and this season his stats (offensive) are just as good. He is tied for 2nd in A's from LW, T10 in G & T13 in SOG for the season. - imagine how good he'd be playing with an EXPERIENCED C like Crosby, Stamkos, or playing with Getzlaf & Perry??? - He is much better suited to play for TC than Marleau, Carter or Nash...Lowe even said Nash was put on the team because of his past experience wearing the Canadian Jersey...he (Nash) is perhaps the MOST OVERRATED player/forward in the NHL, he doesn't deserve the HUGE contract that he has, he has never led a team to anything, and I think always crumbled when the pressure was on his, look @ his CBJ days...

just my thoughts Peck

He has a very good record of playing great in national-level games. He is widely credited with shutting down ovechkin in the last olympics.

He had an injury early this year, but then so has stamkos and no one is saying he should be kept off the team.

Hall being appointed has merit, but Crawford in an interview yesterday said that one of the main criteria they used was Hockey IQ and i think its pretty evident that Hall hasn't demonstrated he has a high one.

Comments are closed for this article.