I CAN SEE SUMMER FROM HERE!

Lowetide
February 19 2014 08:52PM

mact common 5

We're just a week away from NHL hockey returning, but I'm thinking about the summer. Warm breeze, barbeque humming, lawn mower rumbling, beer in the fridge and those Oilers are making noises. It seems so far away, and yet the draft and free agency are on the way! Here's what might happen.

TRANSACTIONS BY THE EDMONTON OILERS, FEB 20TH THROUGH JULY 10

1. Trade Nick Schultz to Boston for a 3rd round pick.
  2. Trade Anton Belov to Toronto for a 4th round pick.
  3. Trade Corey Potter to Minnesota for a 5th round pick.
  4. Sign G Ben Scrivens to a three-year contract.
  5. Sign R Ales Hemsky to a one-year contract.
  6. Sign D Dillon Simpson to an entry-level contract.
  7. Sign C Bogdan Yakimov to an entry-level contract.
  8. Sign G Joel Rumpel to an entry level contract.
  9. Trade D Oscar Klefbom, C Sam Gagner and 2nd overall pick to Philadelphia for D Braydon Coburn, C Sean Couturier and 17th overall pick.
  10. Oilers select D Julius Honka with the 17th overall pick.
  11. Oilers draft John Quenneville.
  12. Oilers also draft at least one Edmonton Oil King.
  13. Sign G James Reimer as a free agent.
  14. Sign L Daniel Winnick as a free agent.
  15. Sign L Ryan Smyth as a free agent

• L2: Sean Couturier-Nail Yakupov-David Perron
  • L3: Boyd Gordon-Daniel Winnik-Ales Hemsky
  • L4: Anton Lander-Ryan Smyth-Matt Hendricks
  • ex: Luke Gazdic-Tyler Pitlick*

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

cat

This is just one man's attempt to look into the future. It's impossible. Right?

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 book¡e
February 19 2014, 09:47PM

I can't stop watching that cat

#2 Naky
February 19 2014, 10:10PM

If Coburn is the only serious defensive move made, we can look forward to another 1st or 2nd overall in 2015.

Schultz with a little over 100 games played.

Petry with barely over 200.

Marincin with, what, barely 50 by then?

*Dillon Simpson (i.e. rookie defensive prospect) with zero games played.

Larsen with like 100 games played too.

A grand total of two, yes, two veteran NHL defensemen.

Oh, and two ex-Leafs backups in goal.

Oh wait, this is the plan for McDavid! Gotcha, the whole article makes sense now. Whew, you had me worried there for a bit Lowetide, you ol' rascal you!

#3 jonny94
February 19 2014, 09:31PM

Depending on our draft pick I'm not too sure about that Philly trade...

If Ekblad is within reach you almost have to draft him .

If Ekblad isn't available this is what I'd consider;

Draft Sam Reinhart, trade Gagner to the Islanders for Griffin Reinhart + Clutterbuck type player.

Gagner gets to play wing with Tavares and we get both Reinharts.

Not sure if I'm being Oilers biased on that trade but I'd like those moves.

#4 Sliderule
February 19 2014, 09:10PM

I don't like the trade if oilers have a top three pick.

If they drop down to four to six it's ok.Couturier is not that much better than Gagner and if Klefbom shows like Marincin when they bring him up the deal won't happen.

#5 Soccer Steve
February 19 2014, 10:34PM

@Jeff Ferris

I skimmed your massive post and saw:

"I was going to include Crosby on this list but he is to hard to play with."

For people who skipped it, he's talking about players the Oilers should target.

You also said: "So please let me know what you think [about the post]."

I think: Yikes.

#6 Retsinnab5
February 19 2014, 10:37PM

I still would like to see Belov around for another year.

#7 Casey
February 19 2014, 09:13PM

Did I just see Phillip Larsen's name? Thats okay I didnt want to sleep anyway

#8 oiler86
February 19 2014, 09:21PM

I'm sorry but if we start next season with Marincin AND Dillon Simpson on our defence we are just not good enough.Don't get me wrong I love Marincin but we can't have more than one rookie on D, including Nurse.

#9 Dan the Man
February 19 2014, 09:03PM

I really like the trade with Philly.

#10 horndog77
February 19 2014, 09:23PM

Not sure I like some of those predictions. Smyth in my opinion should not be retained.

#11 Toro
February 19 2014, 09:14PM

I don't like that trade at all with Philly , especially if we are trading the 2nd overall pick plus I think I'd rather have Brayden Scheen over Couturier anyway, and Coburn seems like another second pairing defenseman instead of the top pairing one we need.

#12 Jeff Ferris
February 19 2014, 10:38PM

The Crosby thing was a joke, but thanks.

#13 bazmagoo
February 19 2014, 09:45PM

Don't think you can trade a top 2 pick unless you get something significant in return. Just look at the top 2 picks from 15 to 5 years ago. Pretty much guaranteed an elite NHL player, that guarantee diminishes significantly each position you go down in the draft order. Like the idea, don't like the implementation.

#14 Soccer Steve
February 19 2014, 10:31PM

I would be stunned if:

1. Hemsky re-signs. Why would he? Honestly?

2. Any of the assistant coaches survive to next year.

3. We trade a second overall pick (if that's what we get).

#15 bazmagoo
February 19 2014, 10:15PM

@Randaman

Trashed your comment, haha. Signing Smyth as a 13th forward at $1 mil for 1 season can't hurt the Oilers.

#16 kdunbar
February 19 2014, 09:00PM

looks good,

I would call that Philli trade bold.

I would also like to see one more UFA D man signed...

would be interesting to see us with the leafs goaltending from when they made the play-offs last year.

#17 Harry
February 19 2014, 09:40PM

O good lord you must be drunk if you think that line up is gonna happen opening day. There will be more turnover than that

#18 Randaman
February 19 2014, 10:13PM
horndog77 wrote:

As per usual, when you mention not signing Smyth even though it is time to cut the ties, out comes the trash crew. You people really have to learn to put the team before players or we will continue to suck for a long time. Eberle and Gagner too. Trade bait for the larger picture going forward. Hard truth I know but life and building winners isn't easy

#19 RED DRAGON
February 19 2014, 11:01PM

One point I beg to differ, Hemsky. Ales is the last of a group that,save one blessed spring, has lead our beloved Oil to 8 April exits. While I can see his value as a rental to a contender, his glass like injury history does not lend itself to a bottom 6 role, and a player with his years in the show without 1 30 goal season has no long term place in contenders (cup or playoff) top 6. My guess, he goes at the deadline for a 2nd or 3rd rd pick, signs in a non traditional market on an underachieving team where fans will be wowed by his offencive zone dangles that lead to neither a pass or shot the majority of the time*.

*except when said team plays EDM, as is tradition he will on these occasions record multiple timly highlight reel goals/assists as has become tradition with former underachieving Oilers when they play against us.

#20 THRNHJE
February 19 2014, 10:06PM
bazmagoo wrote:

If Ekblad isn't available it would be adviseable to take one of Reinhart or Bennett and then trade Gagner. How about Gagner and Klefbom for Braydon Coburn and the 17th overall pick? Remember Klefbom was a 19th overall pick who is progressing nicely. That's a move that could work really well for the Oilers if they end up drafting one of those centers. Coburn could be an ideal D partner for J Schultz in my opinion.

I wouldnt say that Klefbom is progressing nicely, I would say that he is behind in his progression due to injuries. He still has loads of potential though.

#21 Phil Kessel is a Dreamboat
February 20 2014, 12:25AM

Oilers better get more than just a Coburn-type player, if they ever want their offensive players to be successful. With all the Russians' high-end elite talent, it did them no good when they couldn't even get out of their own zone.

#22 wintoon
February 20 2014, 08:18AM

Now that the extent of Tavares' injury has been confirmed as season ending, the Oilers will have to recalibrate their focus on the 2014 drfat. It is likely that the Isles will overtake the Oilers for 29th position. Accordingly, the likelihood of Ekblad being available has just decreased substantially. It might be time to carefully observe Reinhart and Bennett.

On a separate yet related note, have the Isles just become candidates to acquire Gagner?

#23 seanjohn667
February 19 2014, 10:09PM

I like that Philly trade if Ekblad is off the board. but, I don't see Mact making it. I will believe he is bold when I see it. Up until now, I haven't seen anything bold, other than betting the farm on a rookie coach, a crapping out for it.

#24 Wonger
February 20 2014, 10:57AM

Are you fri%^kin kidding me Lowetide!!!!! Select Julius Honka 5.11 175lbs 17th overall. Just what we need - another frick&n midget! Jesus! How about acquire Daiby from Nashville and draft Rithchie from Peterborough - even #1. Keep FRASER as a 6-7 D, Acquire Simmonds and Moen/Prust/Cillford and a top 2 BEAST D and the OIL will be on their way.....!!!!! NO MORE MIDGETS, DAFODILS or STICK CHECKING FLY BY FAIRIES ON THIS TEAM PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#25 TayLordBalls
February 19 2014, 09:44PM

looks like pea soup - again

#26 bwar
February 19 2014, 09:53PM

I really like Cotourier but god damn that seems like a high asking price. The #2 pick is a very valuable asset trading it for a 2C doesn't quite seem right to me. Oh nvm I just realized Philly has to take Gagner in the trade. Damn get that trade done asap.

#27 Smokey
February 19 2014, 10:23PM

The Philly trade is not bold, is plain just stupid. ENOUGH

#28 #ThereGoesTheOilers
February 19 2014, 10:06PM

Trade deadline is just two weeks from today! At least we have something to look forward to. Well, maybe.

#29 toprightcorner
February 19 2014, 11:53PM

I don't like the PHI trade if that is the only dman we get this summer as Colburn is a 2-3 guy and we need a 1-2 guy. We NEED a top pairing dman, preferably a number 1.

The only way their 1st round pick should be traded is if it is in a package and they get a bonifide top pairing dman.

#30 flynn
February 20 2014, 08:36AM

Hemsky and Smyth must go! Please accept this Lowetide and lets all move on. They pretty much do nothing for this LAST place team.

#31 Air on Egg blood
February 19 2014, 09:50PM

Good god! That would be a great line-up! Here are a few things I might add/change:

- Hire Guy Boucher as an associate coach / power play specialist. - Fire useless assistant coach (I'll let you chose) - Instead of your choice, I pick Barbachev with your 17th overall pick, as the "russian factor" will make him fall all the way there. - Instead of Belov to Toronto for a 4th rounder, package him with some 2015 draft pick or some prospect to Tampa Bay and get Gudlevskis in return. - MacT pledges an oath to never bring back Grebeshkov again.

Done.

#32 bazmagoo
February 19 2014, 10:06PM

@jonny94

I'm on board with all of this. Would hate to lose Klefbom, even if it brought back a proven guy like Coburn. Could be cool to have the brothers playing with each other, nothing quite as competitive as a sibling rivalry.

If we had RNH, Reinhart, Gordon, Lander, and Arcobello down the middle next season that would be an improvement on what we currently have.

#33 bazmagoo
February 19 2014, 10:12PM

@THRNHJE

Fair point, but considering he's a 20 year old 19th overall pick I think he's progressing pretty nicely.

#34 Randaman
February 19 2014, 10:15PM
THRNHJE wrote:

I agree with all of this, and I may be in the minority, but even though Ekblad is a beast, I would still rather draft Reinhart, the guy looks like he could be Toews 2.0. I really like the idea of trade old Sam for new Sam's brother.

I think Bennett is the better tougher option for a #2 center in my opinion

#35 Hair bag
February 20 2014, 12:55AM

How about Eberle for O'Rielly in Colorado? Or see if you can get Stastney to sign here...

#36 Wohin gehst du?
February 20 2014, 10:09AM
40 Double D wrote:

The Russian defence was almost as bad as the Oilers.

Are you kidding? Not even Latvia's defence is as bad as the Oilers'. They only allowed 57 shots...

#37 Randaman
February 19 2014, 10:17PM
bazmagoo wrote:

Noted, but only if he plays 60 games?

#38 Jeff Ferris
February 19 2014, 10:20PM

I have never wrote a blog before. I do not where or how to post one... So please let me know what you think.

Four centre's MacTavish should target

When I look at the Oilers roster and within their system they have some weaknesses. They need someone who can play a solid 2 way game for more than a limited minute role. They need someone big as the current Oilers have limited size. They need someone that will initiate contact. They need someone to be able to wins face off in their top 2 lines. They need someone who is not going to break the bank as the current Oilers roster already boasts 6 million dollar contracts to Hall, Nuge, Eberle and will need to sign Yakupov after next season. They need a veteran as the current Oilers top 6 is full of kids.

This is a long shopping list for a forward. If they can get this right the Oilers will be able to not only shelter Nuge but the entire top line. It also narrows the list.

Martin Hanzal. Hanzal is big. 6'6" 236 pounds of big. He is 26 years old and playing in his seventh season. So far this season he has 14 goals and 36 points in 52 games. Playing 19:01 a game and winning 55.3% of his draws. He has delivered a 164 hits and plays a solid 2 way game. Hanzal has played under the hard working Dave Tippett and could help Ference out by bringing some good culture to the Oilers system. Hanzal also has a very attractive contract as he is signed for$3.1 million until 2017. I don't believe Phoenix would be completely unopened to trading him but they are definitely not going to give him away. An interesting side note is he is from Czech Republic, same home country as Ales Hemsky. Trading one of Yakupov or Eberle is an overpayment but perhaps there is a defenseman in Phoenix that could help balance the trade scale. This would then allow the Oilers to resign Hemsky and give us another year of trading Hemsky blogs.

Brandon Dubinsky. Dubinsky has good size. 6'2" and 216 pounds. Dubinsky is 27 years old and playing in his seventh season. He has 12 goals and 36 points this season. He logs 18:48 a game and is winning 54.9% of his draws. Is also not afraid to mix it up giving out 162 hits. Known for his solid 2 way game and is part of the leadership group in Columbus. An interesting side note he is not from the Czech Republic so.... But Centre is a position of strength for Columbus with the emergence of Ryan Johansen, Artem Anisimov and Boone Jenner. All big, all centre man and all younger than Dubinsky. He has one year left and $4.2 million before he is an unrestricted free agent. So from an assets stand point his value may never be higher than between now and the June NHL entry draft.

Ryan Johansen. Although not quite filled out Ryan stands 6'3" and weighs in at 203 pounds. Enjoying a break out year with 24 goals and 46 points in 58 games. Despite being a younger player he is quite good in the face off circle winning 52.3% of his draws and has laid 79 hits. Ryan does not quite fit the mold I laid out earlier as he is only 21 years old. He is also an RFA at the end of the season and is probably in Blue Jacket plans for a long time. Getting this player would cost us one of our players we have plans for but we must change the mix.

David Backes. 6'3" 221 pounds and mean. 20 goals 42 points in 52 games played and probably in the Selke conversation. His face off stats are a little low by his standards at 50.4% and has 179 hits on the year. Getting Backes is probably a pipe dream. He is the captain on a very good team. Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you will be among the stars. Too bad we don't have Omark for trade bait anymore.

I was going to include Crosby on this list but he is to hard to play with. If we can give our young stars the right support we may have a very dangerous team tomorrow. Lander is maybe our only current prospect ready to make the jump. Problem is, is that he has been jumping for so long we think he is a jack rabbit. Any other prospect that we have is skeptical that can even make the jump and if they do it is in a limited role years down the road. A second line centre than can complement Nuge and the rest of the team should be first priority.

At least on defense we have solid prospects in Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin and with a little luck Ekblad. With solid prospects you never know when they can make a real contribution to your team. With four shots in the barrel lets hope at least one can hit the target next year. Moving heavens and earth or tying up way to much cap space for way to long could hurt the long term success of this team.

#39 THRNHJE
February 19 2014, 09:56PM
jonny94 wrote:

Depending on our draft pick I'm not too sure about that Philly trade...

If Ekblad is within reach you almost have to draft him .

If Ekblad isn't available this is what I'd consider;

Gagner gets to play wing with Tavares and we get both Reinharts.

Not sure if I'm being Oilers biased on that trade but I'd like those moves.

#40 Sizzay
February 19 2014, 10:22PM

Gagner + 2nd + klefbom for Josi + Watson + 6th overall

Draft draisaitl

Sign guys like Kulemin, goc, girardi

#41 bazmagoo
February 19 2014, 10:44PM

Here's my Oilers line up for next season:

Hall - Nuge - Eberle
Perron - Reinhart - Yakupov
Winnik - Gordon - Kulemin
Gazdic - Lander - Hendricks
Smyth - Arcobello

Coburn - J Schultz
Marincin - Petry
Nurse - Ference
Belov

Scrivens - Reimer

And no, I don't think we make the playoffs with that roster. But it's improved and hopefully we are close.

#42 toprightcorner
February 20 2014, 01:17AM
Oilerfan wrote:

A $7M defenceman for a lightweight, a lottery pick and a pipedream. I would think David Poile would at least ask the Oilers to toss in a Shooter Tutor, a bag of pucks, and some smelly tube socks.

FYI, Josi is on a 7 year deal with 4 mill cap.

#43 j
February 20 2014, 08:16AM

This seems a bit of an overpay IMO. Klefbom is an unknown but was drafted 19th overall and is trending nicely despite injuries. By all accounts, he will be a Tier II stud. That is worth more than Coburn. The remainder of the trade is Gagner and 2nd for Couturier and 17th. We don't need to trade Gagner at this point and the 2nd overall projects to be a better long term bet than Couturier. I admit we need immediate help but this appears to be a desperation play. I am not convinced that Couturier is even covering his draft position at this point in time (and I like the player). You could get a lot more for the 2nd pick alone.

#44 rama
February 20 2014, 08:28AM

You forgot , trade Kevin Lowe for a bag of broken pucks!

#45 bazmagoo
February 19 2014, 09:55PM

#46 40 Double D
February 19 2014, 11:27PM

The Russian defence was almost as bad as the Oilers.

#47 bazmagoo
February 19 2014, 11:57PM

@toprightcorner

Maybe Philly likes Klefbom? That's the best comeback I can think of. You're right, trade doesn't add up.

How about Gagner & Klefbom for Coburn and a 2nd round pick? That makes a little more sense to me.

#48 toprightcorner
February 20 2014, 12:24AM

No bold moves there to me, just semi-bold.

Need to add much better quality to defense and basically 3 rookies in Marincin, Simpson and Larsen on the back end is not a step forward.

Gagner and Klefbom to PHI for Simmonds

Eberle and 1st to CBJ for Tyutin and Dubinsky

Sign one of Girardi, Orpik, Markov or Niskanen

That gives the team 2 top 3 dmen, a gritty winger and a big center, exactly what they are missing. Al we really give up is a very good (not great) player in Eberle, a center we need to dump in Gagner, a solid dman prospect when we are loaded with them and a top pick that likely won't help the team for a couple years. In other words 2 quality prospects, a below average center and a very good player for 3 really good players all that fill holes on the team.

Thats BOLD and effective

#49 big slick
February 20 2014, 04:01PM

I thought the Oilers traded there 2014 2nd round pick in Perron trade.

#50 Bryan in SK
February 19 2014, 10:27PM

I dunno why, but I found myself just staring at the video of the cat, watching it go for the paper mouse over and over and over again... never stopping but never really satisfying either. Then I remembered... Canada v Latvia, Canada v Latvia, another shot, another shot....