TRADE DESTINATIONS...

Jason Gregor
February 26 2014 01:03PM

stick-puck-slide-text

The NHL trade deadline is next Wednesday at 1 p.m. MST, and similar to seasons past the rumours are swirling. The biggest one involves Marty St.Louis asking for a trade because he didn't crack Team Canada's original roster.

This rumour is juicy for a few reasons. It involves the Lightning acquiring soon-to-be UFA Ryan Callahan, which seems odd considering St.Louis has a contract for next season, but also because it suggests St.Louis felt his own GM, Steve Yzerman, didn't have his back during the selection process.

Yzerman wasn't running a dictatorship. If the majority of the coaches and management didn't want St.Louis on the team, Yzerman wasn't going to pull rank and put his own player on. Unless St.Louis got some info suggesting Yzerman didn't support him, St.Louis' trade demand would seem more impulsive and reactionary than clearly thought out.

I read four different sources say they heard St.Louis did indeed ask for a trade, so yesterday I exchanged texts with a source in Tampa who said the same thing. However, he did add this via text, "I suspect Marty will have calmed down by now and that Stammer (Stamkos) could convince him to let it go. Marty is incredibly competitive and he took that snub very personal. He was mad, but I think it was more him being pissed off than really wanting out of Tampa." My source also stated St.Louis is a very proud guy, so maybe he won't retract his trade demand.

Can you recall the last time a team that high in the standings, had one of their best players ask for a trade leading up to the deadline? This is a rare situation.

I think we would all be surprised how often teams contemplate trading players and how often a player has demanded a trade when they were frustrated, only to calm down a few days later and remain on their current team.

Prior to winning multiple Stanley Cups in Detroit, Yzerman was almost traded to Ottawa. It was public knowledge that the Wings had serious discussions with the Senators, but they wisely elected to keep Yzerman. I think St.Louis and the Lightning can patch things up.

The other twist in this story is that St.Louis has a NMC, so he'd have to agree where he goes, which handcuffs Yzerman even more. The only way I see Yzerman trading St.Louis for Callahan is if the Rangers give him permission to talk about a contract extension first.

Yzerman can't trade St.Louis for a pending UFA who could walk away in July.

If St.Louis is adamant he wants out of Tampa because he didn't originally make the hardest team in the world, then I'd seriously question his perspective. He is good, but he isn't that good. It is a joke that he wants out based on a decision that has nothing to do with his play on the team that pays him. Players have very little contact with their own GM. Players and general managers aren't in constant or even frequent communications, so now he wants to be moved because of a Team Canada snub? Give me a break. I don't like it, but I also think St.Louis is a good enough pro that if he doesn't get dealt he will still play well.

MORE TRADE TALK...

• Craig MacTavish was much more reserved when he discussed his trade strategy yesterday. I think he learned that putting all his cards on the table won't increase the potential to make a deal. He wouldn't talk about any individual player, instead choosing to go with, "we have some veterans UFAs." We all know who they are, Hemsky, Smyth, N.Schultz, Jones, etc.

He mentioned his goal was to try and acquire some picks to replace the 2nd and 3rd rounders that were used to acquire Perron and Scrivens. Again, this wasn't earth shattering news because none of his veterans, other than Hemsky, will garner more than a mid-round pick in return. I think MacTavish will be working the phones feverishly to try and make moves, but his public approach to trades will be more reserved than it was last spring and summer.

• Canucks GM Mike Gillis told TEAM 1040, "I like our team when we have a full and healthy group. We'd like to get a player to help Kesler, but you have to give up a lot." There is a lot of pressure on Gillis to make the playoffs, but Kesler is hurt, and speculation is he might have a broken hand. Despite losing seven straight before the Olympic break, the Canucks are only one point out of the playoffs and 11 of their next 14 games are against teams currently not in the playoffs.

The Canucks are in a tough spot. They don't have enough scoring currently to compete in the west, but they aren't bad enough to throw away the season. I would try to get Matt Moulson, and while some might say it is too much, I'd offer up Hunter Shinkaruk, 24th pick in the draft last year. Moulson is 30 years old and has at least three, likely four good season left, which fits perfectly with the Canucks window to compete.

• I still believe the Oilers are better off to wait until the off-season to trade Sam Gagner. He has played better of late, and I think there will be more trade partners in the summer than there will be over the next seven days.

• I'm not sure why people think Corey Potter has much trade value. He isn't a regular D-man on the 29th place team, so why would a team add him as depth D-man? He has no playoff experience either. Teams value veterans with experience and that is why I can see N.Schultz being moved for a late pick, but I see no reason why a team would look at Potter. They'd likely much rather trade for Belov.

• If you want a good laugh, read this. The Flames still haven't ruled out the playoffs, but the best sentence is, "If the Flames do fall out of contention and become sellers on the market before the March 5 trade deadline..." News flash Calgary: you are already out of contention. The one thing we know in Edmonton is when a team is out of contention, and you have been out of the race since December 1st. The Flames were 13 points out of 8th then, and they are still 13 points out. If you need any more help in how the draft lottery works, just ask us -- we are all experts in how it works.

• No movement clauses only benefit the player. If a player asks for a trade his NMC should become invalid, or at the very least they should have to submit a list of 10 teams they don't want to go to. At least that way the team has an opportunity to find a fair trade.

It is a joke that players can demand a trade and then dictate where they go. One of the few excellent moves the Oilers have done is not hand out NMC like candy on Halloween. Ference is the only player with one, and I don't see any others who will command one by the time his expires.

• Ryan Miller is so determined to get traded he picked up two assists as well as a win last night. Sabres' GM Tim Murray said yesterday, "Our priority right now on both sides is to pursue a proper trade,” so he is on the market. Who would want Miller?

St.Louis, Minnesota and Washington seem like the obvious destinations. Neuvirth has already asked for a trade, so it would be easy to include him in a package along with some picks or a prospect like Andre Burakovsky (Caps would be hesitant to move him) or a young D-man like Connor Carrick.

The Blues have been rumoured to have interest in Miller for months, but I think they'd look at Steve Ott before Miller, because the asking price will be lower. Minnesota is in a tough spot due to the health issues of Josh Harding, who was playing great until his MS acted up again. They also gave up a lot lats year for Jason Pominville, so I'm not sure if they would be willing to part with three more pieces for a pending UFA.

A complete wildcard might be San Jose. Niemi has been okay, but his career SV% is only .909 in the playoff.

The next week will be extremely entertaining if you are fan of trade talk.

RECENTLY BY JASON GREGOR

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#51 Arius Mumin
February 26 2014, 05:08PM

@Craven Moorehead

The best part will be the amount of sources you will have and never be obligated to list any, as well as the amount of simpletons that will take your opinion as information.

Also, do remember: never take a stance on any subject-type carefully and flip flop, that way you can always be right in behindsight.

#52 RexHolez
February 26 2014, 05:09PM
Craven Moorehead wrote:

When I grow up I want a media pass so I can eat free popcorn and look down on people.

Mark Spector and Jason Gregor will fight you if you say that again.

#53 RexHolez
February 26 2014, 05:11PM
Arius Mumin wrote:

you sir are my new best friend on here.

#54 J.R.
February 26 2014, 05:24PM

@Arius Mumin

Name one journalist who lists his off the record sources.

#55 Arius Mumin
February 26 2014, 05:27PM
J.R. wrote:

Name one journalist who lists his off the record sources.

If no one has done it: how do you know and why do you chose to believe they exist?

#56 Sevenseven
February 26 2014, 05:28PM

Im going to get a lot of trashes for this, but why don't we shop David Perron? (It kills me to type it, hes been my favorite this season) I understand he's been one of the best Oilers this season, gritty and hard working, but the guy is having a career season. One of the downsides I saw of him was the season he missed due to concussion. He could be one more away from`retirement.

I wonder what kind of defenseman, or top 6 forward, we could get for him as a potential 30 goal/year left wing? That could sweeten the pot for a team taking on Gagners, I sure hope he plays well down the stretch and increases his value as well. I know it leaves a hole at left wing, but this could be a great move if it brings in the right piece. Mac T bought him low, maybe he could sell high?

#57 Serious Gord
February 26 2014, 05:30PM
pkam wrote:

I may be wrong but I don't think Pronger made his request public. Pronger made a huge mistake that would destroy his marriage and family if he stayed here. That is what a reasonable manager will do to help his employees. Why would you not try to help if you can do something to save his marriage and family?

And the return is not unreasonable, Lupul is a 7th overall, Smid is a 9th overall, plus a 1st rounder, a 2nd rounder and a conditional 1st rounder. What did Senators got for Heatley and Columbus got for Nash?

The one that shouldn't be tolerated is Souray. Not only did he make it public, he even bad mouth the management. How ironic that you stood behind Souray and blamed Lowe and Tambo for doing what you said should be done (let them rot) to player publicly demands for a trade.

You misunderstand me.

Public or not Klowe was too accommodating to pronger wishes - cuting a deal far too quickly and I beg to differ on the return - pronger was at least as well regarded a dman then as weber is now.

As for Souray I said nothing about him - don't take that as defense of how that was handled. That was bad conduct on both sides, though I wonder whether souray asked privately before going public.

#58 Jason Gregsor
February 26 2014, 05:31PM
Arius Mumin wrote:

Im gonna take that as a shot against me!

Name one time I took a stance on something but carefully worded is so I could say I didn't infact say what I said?

I have never mentioned I had an off the record source and go on to say that I talk with said player, er source, regularly. All my opinions and theories alwyas jive!

#59 Fish
February 26 2014, 06:00PM
Craven Moorehead wrote:

Better yet, you could also buy a pair of stilts.

#60 Curcro
February 26 2014, 06:19PM

For all that down arrowed my comment on Gagner's NTC/NMC. I have looked at the CBA.

A team trading for a player that has a NTC/NMC can choose to honour the NTC/NMC at their discretion in writing to the league.

So what that means for a team picking up Gagner they have the choice whether they accept the NMC clause or not.

So an astute GM from another team would not be worried about it.

#61 J.R.
February 26 2014, 06:43PM

@Arius Mumin

What?

#62 Serious Gord
February 26 2014, 06:46PM
Curcro wrote:

So an astute GM from another team would not be worried about it.

If that is as you interpret it - and I don't that it is - a player like gagner would be giving up a huge part of his contract if by waiving his nmc to leave EDM he waives it permanently.

#63 Oilerfan
February 26 2014, 06:48PM

Craven, there is no free lunch. You pay for that press pass in boots licked. That's not a shot at Gregor. Just a realistic observation. I've been up there. Dissent is not tolerated by teams. They control who gets the press passes. It's not like city hall, where anybody can show up at meetings.

#64 The Real Scuba Steve
February 26 2014, 07:04PM

2006 was the year of Kevin Lowe, he kicked ass. What the hell happened after that? He went from trade deadline big player to the now manager who just won't go away whose team can't even get out of the basement? Did Chis Pronger really cursed team? or is it just poor management?

#65 @Oilanderp
February 26 2014, 07:05PM
Jacques Strap wrote:

Maybe the Flames will pick up St. Louis for their imminent cup run.

Well yes, if the Flames traded their entire roster for St. Louis' roster, they might make the playoffs....well probably not.

Oh you meant the player from TB.

#66 Harry
February 26 2014, 07:15PM

I hate the Flames and hate Burke even more but at least they dont come out in the media and openly say, "we're out of the playoffs", with 3 months remaining. Sending that "loser mentality" type message to the fans, the organization and above all the players is pure BS.

Im sick of hearing it.

#67 Oilerfan
February 26 2014, 07:18PM

You hate reality?

#68 Harry
February 26 2014, 07:34PM
Oilerfan wrote:

You hate reality?

I hate loser talk. Last time I checked anything with "loser" in it in a sport is a bad thing. The players dont need to hear that sh't.

#69 @Oilanderp
February 26 2014, 07:42PM

Get picks at the deadline, trade picks for bodies at the draft.

#70 Hat Pughes
February 26 2014, 07:51PM

Holy Cr*&

West Coast (Louis Jean) reporting that Kesler wants out of Lotusland.

Canuckland is gonna burn baby...

#71 Craven Moorehead
February 26 2014, 08:12PM

My source tells me that Kelsey May or May not of asked for a trade but it will change the whole landscape of trade deadline.

I could totally do this for a living

#72 Craven Moorehead
February 26 2014, 08:14PM

Kesler

#73 Hat Pughes
February 26 2014, 08:18PM

Read into it what you wish.

#74 Craven Moorehead
February 26 2014, 08:40PM

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Whether Kesler requested traded, and I can neither confirm nor reject the report, teams have been calling VAN on him. Canucks are listening.

This is what I hate. Absolutely nothing is said here. But everyone think he is the king. "Insiders" everywhere

#75 Curcro
February 26 2014, 08:45PM
Serious Gord wrote:

Not necessarily, he could demand that MacTavish negotiate in as part of the trade contract if he is going to accept the trade.

I.E. Bob, Gagner will only accept a trade if you will agree to his NMC.

#76 tabs
February 26 2014, 09:26PM
Oilerfan wrote:

So Gregor's a "boot-licker" now....

#77 Serious Gord
February 26 2014, 10:03PM
Curcro wrote:

I.E. Bob, Gagner will only accept a trade if you will agree to his NMC.

But that would not be a binding agreement but rather an understanding much like what MacT has with gagner right now.

#78 Curcro
February 26 2014, 10:56PM
Serious Gord wrote:

Then a player like Gagner would have no choice but to give it up.

By the way it is no interpretation... copy and paste directly from CBA:

If the Player is Traded or claimed on Waivers prior to the no-Trade or no-move clause taking effect, the clause does not bind the acquiring Club. An acquiring Club may agree to continue to be bound by the no-Trade or no-move clause, which agreement shall be evidenced in writing to the Player, Central Registry and the NHLPA, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof.

#81 Oilcruzer
February 26 2014, 11:52PM

Losing Hemsky is like losing one of the top draft picks. Sounds silly, but hear me out.

IF the Oil had chosen any one of the other top prospects in the NHL Entry Draft of 2012, notably D men or Centres, they would have filled a need and could extend Hemsky last year. Sorry guys, Yak was the Cool choice, but not the need. Should have traded down to spot 5 or taken Murray.

Now, you lose Hemsky for a late 2 or 3rd rounder.

Rumour is that decision to choose Yak didn't fall on Tambellini''s shoulders. He was over ruled.

#82 Oilerfan
February 27 2014, 12:24AM
tabs wrote:

So Gregor's a "boot-licker" now....

Reeeding compruhenzian fale: "That's not a shot at Gregor."

#83 Oilerfan
February 27 2014, 12:28AM
Jason Gregor wrote:

Please show me examples of people in Edmonton sports media who had their press pass revoked? It seems like a wise tale that people like you use when they disagree with a reporter's opinion or think he didn't ask a hard hitting question.

Ask John Short. He wrote the story about Sather making $2 million. Sather was livid and tried to black ball him, but it didn't work and they never revoked his pass.

There are other examples as well. You can disagree all you like with a media person's opinion and not like their line of questioning, that is fair, but your "Oilers don't allow dissent" theory is simply not true. Never seen it happen in my time.

At the risk of getting banned: 1984 Canada Cup...Paul Coffey criticized on 48-watt CJSR ... Bruce Macgregor heard it ... reported to Slats ... Hairlip's angry defense quoted in Dick Chubey's Sun column (you can look it up)... Bill Tuele in charge of press passes ... CJSR's press pass - if only temporarily - revoked...Call you old pal Bryn Griffiths; he can tell you. He's been dining out on that story for years, I hear.

#85 Loweblows
February 27 2014, 06:55AM
Jason Gregor wrote:

You provided one example, so good on you, because I asked for one, but what about since then? One example over 30 years ago doesn't mean it is still happening and that decision has no impact on today's reporters.

And revoking CJSR, which was a campus station and not the main guys is far from a regular outlet that covers the team exclusively. It would be like revoking 100.3 the Bear, a music station, and not a sports one. If I read your story correctly the Oilers temporarily revoked the CJSR guy cause he ripped Coffey, but when Chubey made that public, showing how petty the Oilers were, nothing happened to him. That seems to jive with what I said, that no sports person has had their accreditation revoked.

Many beat writers and talk show hosts have ripped the Oilers over the years, and not one dedicated sports person has had their pass revoked. Like I wrote earlier, I have never seen it in my time.

Jason. You can't rip a guy for providing an example you asked for. So what if it was 30 years ago. Next time if you want an exact time frame for an example, say so when you question him. This is what agitates fans of yours the most. When you disagree with someone, you down play their argument immediately.

#86 Rdubb
February 27 2014, 07:54AM

Gregor, I MUST AGREE with you 100% when you say that a player with a NMC asks for a deal that it should become null and void. There is a reason why the team gave him the NMC in the first place, they didn't want to move him... There should be some sort of clause put in all NMC's, that once the player asks to be moved, the GM can trade him to whomever/whenever he fells like it? Maybe, like you said, the player can summit a list of 5 teams when the deal is signed, and as soon as he asks for a trade, his GM can then start looking @ trading him to one of another 24 teams, @ any time! Within a week, a month, or perhaps 4 or 5 months, & the NMC is thus null & void for the remainder of his deal, even when dealt... Just my thoughts on that... Also, if St.Louis did ask for trade, than I think he is nothing more than a spoiled brat, plain and simple...because he didn't make the best team in the world, which had zero to do with his NHL club, he stomps up to Stevie Y's office and throws a temper tantrum. The ENTIRE brass had a say, and if they wanted guys with size and skill, than St.Louis would have never fit into their plans. Is he that egotistical? I think that Neal should have made the team way before St.Louis..Yzerman tried not to have politics come into play, but by St.Louis' reaction, I guess they did. Just like minor hockey, a lot has to do with who you know... If the story is true, I have lost all respect for St.Louis, & I had a ton for him prior to this...

#87 Rob...
February 27 2014, 08:03AM

Certain sites are great for the blogs and others for the comments. Rare sites are great for both. This site used to be one of those rare ones, but lately the comments sections are full of petty crap, and reason has been totally discarded. I think this is driven by two things. 1) Yet another crappy season that angered people to the point they spend more time lashing out than talking hockey, diluting and nearly eliminating good posts. 2) The stupid props/trash system that provides a second level of anonymity over and above the fact that you already choose your own alias.

It used to be that if you disagreed with someone, you either sat on your hands or got up the gumption to respond in a post, countering the points you disagree with. This really was incentive for people with a fresh take on things to chime in. Now, it's too easy to just be a gutless coward and hit a button, staying safe from criticism or rebuttal.

#88 Gored 1970
February 27 2014, 08:13AM

Kesler to Philly for Couturier, Morin and Philly's 1st this year.

#90 Daniel
February 27 2014, 09:39AM

@Loweblows

I'm surprised Gregor even responds to you after all the childish crap you post on here about him. He didn't rip the guys point, he made a great counter point and the fact is using a temporary ban from 30 years ago as the basis to an argument is weak.

I like that Gregor makes people back their argument and defend it. He didn't call the guy names, like you and most of the other negative nellies on here do when you have no defence of your point.

Gregor, don't worry about the complainers on here. There are way more people who appreciate your stuff and like the Messier guy above said don't worry about the gutless ones who post anonymously. I rarely post, and I find I'm reading the comments less frequently because the vocal minority seem to be all the negative people. Maybe all of us who like the site should start posting mature comments to balance things out? Thoughts other Nation readers.

#91 Craven Moorehead
February 27 2014, 10:45AM

Gregor its a good thing you didnt make it to the NHL. You would be taking minor penalites after every whistle. BUT HE SAID SOMETHING ABOUT MY MOMMA!!! Thin skin

#92 Rod from Viking
February 27 2014, 10:58AM
Rob... wrote:

My thoughts exactly, you see someone has made some valid points and next time you scroll by it there are 20 trashes, make it like Facebook if you are going to trash the poster can see who has done it.

#93 Craven Moorehead
February 27 2014, 11:13AM

Daniel

''The gutless ones who post anonymously''

wow you really stuck your neck out with a username like daniel. i have never met a daniel.

#94 A-Mc
February 27 2014, 12:28PM

Oilers Nation fans are getting baaaaaaddddd. It doesnt matter what the subject matter is of the original post, people degenerate into some kind of trailer trash type argument every time.

KEEP YOUR HEAD UP Edmonton! jeezz... Dont lose focus now =) Oilers 2017 Stanley Cup Champions

#95 pkam
February 27 2014, 12:28PM
Serious Gord wrote:

You misunderstand me.

So you think Lupul (7th overall), Smid (9th overall), 2 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder is not enough for Pronger?

One year before we traded Pronger away, we acquired him for Eric Brewer, Jeff Woywitka and Doug Lynch.

Couple of days ago, Jim Matheson wrote an article in Edmonton Journal - 'What would Shea Weber cost the Edmonton Oilers?', Jim didn't actually say what we should pay, but he suggested what the Flyers would be willing to pay, "centre Brayden Schenn and winger Jake Voracek and a defenceman or a first-round pick". In other words, a 5th overall, a 7th overall and a 1st rounder for Weber. So a 7th overall, 9th overall, 2 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder is less than a 5th overall, a 7th overall, 2 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder?

On one hand, you said that Lowe was too quick to trade Pronger. But in this case, Lowe was trying to help Pronger out of his mistake and save his marriage and family, yet still get a reasonable return.

On the other hand, you said that was bad conduct on the management, when Tambo try to get a reasonable return for Souray, but Souray got impatient and went public and trash the management, so they decide to let him rot, like you suggested.

Not sure how you would've have handled these two cases but obviously it would be different than Lowe and Tambo. However, I would've done it the same way as the Oilers management.

#96 Ed in Edmonton
February 27 2014, 12:31PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

You will notice in my original post I asked for an example of sports media. I think we all agree CJSR is not sports media. I also wrote never seen it happen in my time. 1984 was not my time.

How did I rip him? I said good effort on finding an example, however, that example wasn't from my time or a sports person being banned.

I agree an incident with CJSR is hardly relevant today.

Not on the same level as when Norm Kimball tried to not let Leo Cahill into Commonwealth to be the color guy on a broadcast. Leo really did hate the Eskimos.

#97 TigerUnderGlass
February 27 2014, 12:39PM
Curcro wrote:

Then a player like Gagner would have no choice but to give it up.

By the way it is no interpretation... copy and paste directly from CBA:

This doesn't exactly say what you said it does though.

"Prior to the no-trade taking effect" is the key phrase.

As it pertains specifically to Gagner, and if his no movement is verbal with a written one to follow, then it may apply to him, I don't actually know that facts around Gagner's contract, but this paragraph does not allow a team to reject the nmc of a player who waived it to move.

#98 Daniel Carpenter
February 27 2014, 12:52PM
Craven Moorehead wrote:

Daniel

''The gutless ones who post anonymously''

Oh look another mindless, immature post from a no-name. Thanks for proving my point. I dare you to add something worthwhile. No chance you can, because you don't have anything intelligent to say, so you resort to calling out the writers and posters. Sad and pathetic.

#99 Oilcruzer
February 27 2014, 03:42PM

Just thought up one. He should be...

...Marty St. Lou-"Waaaaaaah!"