TRADE DESTINATIONS...

Jason Gregor
February 26 2014 01:03PM

stick-puck-slide-text

The NHL trade deadline is next Wednesday at 1 p.m. MST, and similar to seasons past the rumours are swirling. The biggest one involves Marty St.Louis asking for a trade because he didn't crack Team Canada's original roster.

This rumour is juicy for a few reasons. It involves the Lightning acquiring soon-to-be UFA Ryan Callahan, which seems odd considering St.Louis has a contract for next season, but also because it suggests St.Louis felt his own GM, Steve Yzerman, didn't have his back during the selection process.

Yzerman wasn't running a dictatorship. If the majority of the coaches and management didn't want St.Louis on the team, Yzerman wasn't going to pull rank and put his own player on. Unless St.Louis got some info suggesting Yzerman didn't support him, St.Louis' trade demand would seem more impulsive and reactionary than clearly thought out.

I read four different sources say they heard St.Louis did indeed ask for a trade, so yesterday I exchanged texts with a source in Tampa who said the same thing. However, he did add this via text, "I suspect Marty will have calmed down by now and that Stammer (Stamkos) could convince him to let it go. Marty is incredibly competitive and he took that snub very personal. He was mad, but I think it was more him being pissed off than really wanting out of Tampa." My source also stated St.Louis is a very proud guy, so maybe he won't retract his trade demand.

Can you recall the last time a team that high in the standings, had one of their best players ask for a trade leading up to the deadline? This is a rare situation.

I think we would all be surprised how often teams contemplate trading players and how often a player has demanded a trade when they were frustrated, only to calm down a few days later and remain on their current team.

Prior to winning multiple Stanley Cups in Detroit, Yzerman was almost traded to Ottawa. It was public knowledge that the Wings had serious discussions with the Senators, but they wisely elected to keep Yzerman. I think St.Louis and the Lightning can patch things up.

The other twist in this story is that St.Louis has a NMC, so he'd have to agree where he goes, which handcuffs Yzerman even more. The only way I see Yzerman trading St.Louis for Callahan is if the Rangers give him permission to talk about a contract extension first.

Yzerman can't trade St.Louis for a pending UFA who could walk away in July.

If St.Louis is adamant he wants out of Tampa because he didn't originally make the hardest team in the world, then I'd seriously question his perspective. He is good, but he isn't that good. It is a joke that he wants out based on a decision that has nothing to do with his play on the team that pays him. Players have very little contact with their own GM. Players and general managers aren't in constant or even frequent communications, so now he wants to be moved because of a Team Canada snub? Give me a break. I don't like it, but I also think St.Louis is a good enough pro that if he doesn't get dealt he will still play well.

MORE TRADE TALK...

• Craig MacTavish was much more reserved when he discussed his trade strategy yesterday. I think he learned that putting all his cards on the table won't increase the potential to make a deal. He wouldn't talk about any individual player, instead choosing to go with, "we have some veterans UFAs." We all know who they are, Hemsky, Smyth, N.Schultz, Jones, etc.

He mentioned his goal was to try and acquire some picks to replace the 2nd and 3rd rounders that were used to acquire Perron and Scrivens. Again, this wasn't earth shattering news because none of his veterans, other than Hemsky, will garner more than a mid-round pick in return. I think MacTavish will be working the phones feverishly to try and make moves, but his public approach to trades will be more reserved than it was last spring and summer.

• Canucks GM Mike Gillis told TEAM 1040, "I like our team when we have a full and healthy group. We'd like to get a player to help Kesler, but you have to give up a lot." There is a lot of pressure on Gillis to make the playoffs, but Kesler is hurt, and speculation is he might have a broken hand. Despite losing seven straight before the Olympic break, the Canucks are only one point out of the playoffs and 11 of their next 14 games are against teams currently not in the playoffs.

The Canucks are in a tough spot. They don't have enough scoring currently to compete in the west, but they aren't bad enough to throw away the season. I would try to get Matt Moulson, and while some might say it is too much, I'd offer up Hunter Shinkaruk, 24th pick in the draft last year. Moulson is 30 years old and has at least three, likely four good season left, which fits perfectly with the Canucks window to compete.

• I still believe the Oilers are better off to wait until the off-season to trade Sam Gagner. He has played better of late, and I think there will be more trade partners in the summer than there will be over the next seven days.

• I'm not sure why people think Corey Potter has much trade value. He isn't a regular D-man on the 29th place team, so why would a team add him as depth D-man? He has no playoff experience either. Teams value veterans with experience and that is why I can see N.Schultz being moved for a late pick, but I see no reason why a team would look at Potter. They'd likely much rather trade for Belov.

• If you want a good laugh, read this. The Flames still haven't ruled out the playoffs, but the best sentence is, "If the Flames do fall out of contention and become sellers on the market before the March 5 trade deadline..." News flash Calgary: you are already out of contention. The one thing we know in Edmonton is when a team is out of contention, and you have been out of the race since December 1st. The Flames were 13 points out of 8th then, and they are still 13 points out. If you need any more help in how the draft lottery works, just ask us -- we are all experts in how it works.

• No movement clauses only benefit the player. If a player asks for a trade his NMC should become invalid, or at the very least they should have to submit a list of 10 teams they don't want to go to. At least that way the team has an opportunity to find a fair trade.

It is a joke that players can demand a trade and then dictate where they go. One of the few excellent moves the Oilers have done is not hand out NMC like candy on Halloween. Ference is the only player with one, and I don't see any others who will command one by the time his expires.

• Ryan Miller is so determined to get traded he picked up two assists as well as a win last night. Sabres' GM Tim Murray said yesterday, "Our priority right now on both sides is to pursue a proper trade,” so he is on the market. Who would want Miller?

St.Louis, Minnesota and Washington seem like the obvious destinations. Neuvirth has already asked for a trade, so it would be easy to include him in a package along with some picks or a prospect like Andre Burakovsky (Caps would be hesitant to move him) or a young D-man like Connor Carrick.

The Blues have been rumoured to have interest in Miller for months, but I think they'd look at Steve Ott before Miller, because the asking price will be lower. Minnesota is in a tough spot due to the health issues of Josh Harding, who was playing great until his MS acted up again. They also gave up a lot lats year for Jason Pominville, so I'm not sure if they would be willing to part with three more pieces for a pending UFA.

A complete wildcard might be San Jose. Niemi has been okay, but his career SV% is only .909 in the playoff.

The next week will be extremely entertaining if you are fan of trade talk.

RECENTLY BY JASON GREGOR

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 RexHolez
February 26 2014, 02:43PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

I have spoke to Gagner. I'm in room regularly.

Ok thats valid. But you didnt really answer the question. You said your source tells you. Your reply leads me to believe that your source Sam Gagner himself.

I think we can somewhat doubt that he would tell you directly about any verbal agreements he has with his employer.

Just being in the room regularly doesn't mean much. I would assume that verbal agreements arent spoken of in crowded scenes, but instead in private conversation. This also leads me to believe that you spoke with Sam Gagner and he spoke to you directly about a possible trade situation. Yes?

#2 RexHolez
February 26 2014, 02:10PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

No. It kicks in when free agency starts. Supposedly they have a verbal agreement not to move him this year, but my source tells me Gagner wouldn't hold up a trade if MacTavish was able to find a good one.

Who's your source? Not wanting you to name names, but does he chat with Sam Gagner about his situation daily or is the source in management? I mean, how do we know for sure? Unless the source is Sam Gagner himself right?

#3 GoCanadaGo
February 26 2014, 01:44PM

another great article based on a rumour. TMZ reporting.

#4 Harry
February 26 2014, 07:15PM

I hate the Flames and hate Burke even more but at least they dont come out in the media and openly say, "we're out of the playoffs", with 3 months remaining. Sending that "loser mentality" type message to the fans, the organization and above all the players is pure BS.

Im sick of hearing it.

#5 Arius Mumin
February 26 2014, 05:27PM
J.R. wrote:

Name one journalist who lists his off the record sources.

If no one has done it: how do you know and why do you chose to believe they exist?

#6 DonDon
February 26 2014, 01:23PM

Doesn't Gagner have a NMC?

#7 Geoff
February 26 2014, 02:56PM

I just hope the Oilers beat Calgary in the standings :(

#8 RexHolez
February 26 2014, 04:37PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

MacTavish is on record as saying they had a verbal agreement to have a "NMC" this year.

Gagner, like all players, hears the rumours and he recognizes the situation in Edmonton. All the players know they need to change the mix. They have spoke about it. I won't put exact conversations in the public that I have with players when mic isn't on. Would be unfair.

the reality is

#9 RexHolez
February 26 2014, 04:40PM
Arius Mumin wrote:

If MacT is on record saying so: why use the word supposedly? You calling MacT a liar?

If what you suppose is the truth: what weight does Gagner have to hold up a trade? None?

good catch.

and the jason gregor rumour mobile picks up speed once again!

#10 Walter Sobchak
February 26 2014, 02:47PM

How are the Oilers going to fill the spots of.......

Hemsky - Smyth - Schultz Sr - Potter - Briz - Jones ?

I'm just going to prepare myself for an equally terrible next season as well.

#11 Jason Gregsor
February 26 2014, 05:31PM
Arius Mumin wrote:

The best part will be the amount of sources you will have and never be obligated to list any, as well as the amount of simpletons that will take your opinion as information.

Also, do remember: never take a stance on any subject-type carefully and flip flop, that way you can always be right in behindsight.

Im gonna take that as a shot against me!

Name one time I took a stance on something but carefully worded is so I could say I didn't infact say what I said?

I have never mentioned I had an off the record source and go on to say that I talk with said player, er source, regularly. All my opinions and theories alwyas jive!

#12 Posti
February 26 2014, 01:32PM

I hope when/if the Oilers make a trade there are some warm bodies coming back. If we trade away veterans for picks that don't play for 2-5 years what's the point? The farm doesn't have any real good forwards that are going to make a difference next year, so I think we need a prospect that can make the team next year.

Just my 2 cents.

#13 Craven Moorehead
February 26 2014, 05:03PM

When I grow up I want a media pass so I can eat free popcorn and look down on people.

#14 Harry
February 26 2014, 07:34PM
Oilerfan wrote:

You hate reality?

I hate loser talk. Last time I checked anything with "loser" in it in a sport is a bad thing. The players dont need to hear that sh't.

#15 Fish
February 26 2014, 02:23PM

Anyone else find it funny that the Flames "might" consider themselves "sellers" soon? They are more like an idiot at a garage sale giving away Monet paintings for $10 o.b.o. then actual "sellers". What exactly have they gotten (besides screwed) for Iginla, Phanuef and Team Canada's top 4D man Jay Bo? Those trades alone set back their rebuild by at least 2 years.

#16 RexHolez
February 26 2014, 04:58PM
Eberle4MVP wrote:

what is so hard for you to understand? Can you do any better? I dont see you talking to any sources better and informing us? Gregor is about as connected as you get, so if you dont belive him, or dont like his opinions, then why exactly are you here?

same reasons why Eberle should be mvp... pure sillyness

#17 RexHolez
February 26 2014, 05:09PM
Craven Moorehead wrote:

Mark Spector and Jason Gregor will fight you if you say that again.

#18 RexHolez
February 26 2014, 05:11PM
Arius Mumin wrote:

you sir are my new best friend on here.

#19 Sevenseven
February 26 2014, 05:28PM

Im going to get a lot of trashes for this, but why don't we shop David Perron? (It kills me to type it, hes been my favorite this season) I understand he's been one of the best Oilers this season, gritty and hard working, but the guy is having a career season. One of the downsides I saw of him was the season he missed due to concussion. He could be one more away from`retirement.

I wonder what kind of defenseman, or top 6 forward, we could get for him as a potential 30 goal/year left wing? That could sweeten the pot for a team taking on Gagners, I sure hope he plays well down the stretch and increases his value as well. I know it leaves a hole at left wing, but this could be a great move if it brings in the right piece. Mac T bought him low, maybe he could sell high?

#20 Spydyr
February 26 2014, 03:15PM

I expect a quite deadline day on the Oilier front.Some UFA going for some draft picks.Same old, same old.

#21 toprightcorner
February 26 2014, 03:20PM

So St. Louis is saying he is mad at Yzerman for not adding him to the team cause he is his boss? In other words since he can't get selected on his own merit by a group of hockey experts that he should get on the team because of who he knows? And now he is crying about it?

If this rumour is true, I lost respect for a player I have always liked.

#22 Arius Mumin
February 26 2014, 05:08PM

@Craven Moorehead

#23 Craven Moorehead
February 26 2014, 08:12PM

My source tells me that Kelsey May or May not of asked for a trade but it will change the whole landscape of trade deadline.

I could totally do this for a living

#24 Loweblows
February 27 2014, 06:55AM
Jason Gregor wrote:

You provided one example, so good on you, because I asked for one, but what about since then? One example over 30 years ago doesn't mean it is still happening and that decision has no impact on today's reporters.

And revoking CJSR, which was a campus station and not the main guys is far from a regular outlet that covers the team exclusively. It would be like revoking 100.3 the Bear, a music station, and not a sports one. If I read your story correctly the Oilers temporarily revoked the CJSR guy cause he ripped Coffey, but when Chubey made that public, showing how petty the Oilers were, nothing happened to him. That seems to jive with what I said, that no sports person has had their accreditation revoked.

Many beat writers and talk show hosts have ripped the Oilers over the years, and not one dedicated sports person has had their pass revoked. Like I wrote earlier, I have never seen it in my time.

Jason. You can't rip a guy for providing an example you asked for. So what if it was 30 years ago. Next time if you want an exact time frame for an example, say so when you question him. This is what agitates fans of yours the most. When you disagree with someone, you down play their argument immediately.

#25 Craven Moorehead
February 27 2014, 10:45AM

Gregor its a good thing you didnt make it to the NHL. You would be taking minor penalites after every whistle. BUT HE SAID SOMETHING ABOUT MY MOMMA!!! Thin skin

#27 Bob Cobb
February 26 2014, 02:35PM

~I hope the Flames make the playoffs, those guys have been through more than enough.~

Not a chance, suck it Calgary!!

#28 Serious Gord
February 26 2014, 02:54PM

"I think he learned that putting all his cards on the table won't increase the potential to make a deal. "

He had to LEARN that? That's negotiating 101.

#29 J.R.
February 26 2014, 05:24PM

@Arius Mumin

Name one journalist who lists his off the record sources.

#30 Jacques Strap
February 26 2014, 01:46PM

Maybe the Flames will pick up St. Louis for their imminent cup run.

#31 vetinari
February 26 2014, 02:28PM

Would prefer to see some actual NHLers come back our way when we move some players out but I know that teams loading up on Cup runs, won't part with anything other than picks, prospects and spare parts at this time of year.

As for Calgary... no guys, you're fine... really... start unloading your prospects and picks for some pending UFA's and call us in July to tell us how that works out for you... in fact, we'll get you started-- would you like to send us your first rounder for Hemsky, Potter and N. Schultz? Limited time offer.

#32 Serious Gord
February 26 2014, 03:00PM

Also there should be no hard rules regarding NMC and demanding a trade. GMs also have leverage when a player demands a trade - he can threaten let the player rot unless the player relaxes who he will play with.

What surprises me is that a player would publically demand a trade or let more than the GM one on one know they want to be traded (I would even keep it from the coach). It becomes like a Scarlett letter - reducing their value going forward. Publically embarrassing/pressuring management is never a wise move regardless of what the job is.

(Still can't believe KLowe was so accommodating of prongers demand to be traded.)

#34 Arius Mumin
February 26 2014, 04:16PM

@Jason Gregor

#35 derrickhands
February 26 2014, 04:16PM

It's called supply and demand and if teams are willing to pay the price for Gagner or the others. I have feeling things could be very quiet for the Oilers and MacFail. Face it MacTavish needs to get maximum dollar to keep his head above water with the Oiler fans.

#36 Eberle4MVP
February 26 2014, 04:54PM
RexHolez wrote:

#37 Craven Moorehead
February 26 2014, 08:14PM

Kesler

#39 pkam
February 26 2014, 01:35PM

I heard the TSN insiders said Ryan Callahan was asking for 6.75M/year. Is he for real?

#40 pkam
February 26 2014, 02:02PM

Does it mean the Flames plan to be a buyer instead of a seller? I hope Islanders and Panthers think the same way as well. A little naive but good for us.

#42 ghostofberanek
February 26 2014, 03:01PM
RexHolez wrote:

What a strange line of questioning....

#43 Ivan Drago
February 26 2014, 03:03PM

Hey Jason wouldn't other savvy GMs realize Gags NMC kicks in on the contract after free agency starts, and use that as leverage to lower their offer? In other words, before the trade deadline would be the best time to deal him.

#44 toprightcorner
February 26 2014, 03:16PM
RexHolez wrote:

Eklund is that you?

Are you trying to figure out what real journalisim is about? Good grief!

#45 Oiler63
February 26 2014, 03:28PM

Per TSN, Ottawa GM Bryan Murray:

"Murray added that a GM told him he has a couple of players he wants to deal, but doesn't expect to do so until the 'better' free agents are dealt first."

A GM with a couple of "not the better free agents" players available for deals... reading the lines, it's very likely that GM Murray talked about it McTavish.

With that we can be reasonably confident that McT's whole strategy being this:

Who he wants to deal: Gagner, Hemsky, N Schultz, etc. What he wants back: mid round picks. When he will make moves: After the "better free agents" on the market are settled.

He may not necessarily relate the mid-round picks with Gagner or Hemsky, but we can pretty much tell what's in his cards. McT is a very honest and proud person but I'm not sure disclosing your strategy to your potential trading partners is a good strategy. Is that what he learned from Queens' MBA?

#46 Walter Sobchak
February 26 2014, 04:57PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

Do you think any of those players are major difference makers and guys who are making big impacts on a nightly basis?

Hemsky will be the most difficult to replace, and even if they trade Smyth, he would gladly re-sign with Oilers in the summer.

If they don't make a difference then why would top teams in search of a Stanley Cup want to trad for them?

I realize they are UFA's and are not what they use to be but there veterans on a team lacking that exact player.

If your trading them for picks your gong backwards, trade them for other veterans, but trading Hemsky for a second rounder is backwards.

#47 Serious Gord
February 26 2014, 05:30PM
pkam wrote:

I may be wrong but I don't think Pronger made his request public. Pronger made a huge mistake that would destroy his marriage and family if he stayed here. That is what a reasonable manager will do to help his employees. Why would you not try to help if you can do something to save his marriage and family?

And the return is not unreasonable, Lupul is a 7th overall, Smid is a 9th overall, plus a 1st rounder, a 2nd rounder and a conditional 1st rounder. What did Senators got for Heatley and Columbus got for Nash?

The one that shouldn't be tolerated is Souray. Not only did he make it public, he even bad mouth the management. How ironic that you stood behind Souray and blamed Lowe and Tambo for doing what you said should be done (let them rot) to player publicly demands for a trade.

You misunderstand me.

Public or not Klowe was too accommodating to pronger wishes - cuting a deal far too quickly and I beg to differ on the return - pronger was at least as well regarded a dman then as weber is now.

As for Souray I said nothing about him - don't take that as defense of how that was handled. That was bad conduct on both sides, though I wonder whether souray asked privately before going public.

#49 geoilersgist
February 26 2014, 01:28PM

@DonDon

I don't think it kicks in till after July 1st. I could be wrong though.

#50 DisappointedFan
February 26 2014, 02:31PM

@Fish

You mean those are the types of trades that CAUSED a rebuild in the first place for them.