GDB 61.0: WELCOME BACK

Jason Gregor
February 27 2014 12:38PM

cast-of-welcome-back-kotter-5

"Welcome back,
To that same old place that you laughed about.

Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
But those dreams have remained and they're turned around."

I loved Welcome Back Kotter. Epstein was my favourite, although all the Sweathogs were beauties. I miss that show, and despite sitting in 29th place again most of the diehard Oilers fans miss watching their team.

Edmonton hasn't played a home game since Ben Scrivens set an NHL record for most saves in a shutout with 59. It was a memorable night, and even though it has only been 28 days since the Sharks peppered Scrivens it seems like forever that you were watching the Oilers with equal amounts of anger (for the skaters) and awe (for Scrivens).

Welcome back Oil fans, I'm sure the final 22 games will provide you with a wide array of emotions.
The Oilers went into the Olympic break on a high, going 5-1-1 and outscoring the opposition 18-12. The Oilers were outshot 266-195 in those games, but Scrivens and Ilya Bryzgalov only allowed 12 goals for a spectacular .954 SV%.

Great goaltending can cover up a lot of weaknesses, and while the Oilers played well in victories over Nashville, Vancouver and New York, it is clear they still have significant room to improve. Winning does give you confidence and the Oilers are feeling much better about their overall game today than at any other point this season.

Clearly they need to cut down on shots against, but at this point they will take a win regardless of how ugly or pretty it is.

The Oilers have had the luxury of having almost the entire team practicing for a week, and they have been able to have a mini training camp and work on improving their system play. The Wild have not had one practice with their entire team, and we'll see if that is a factor tonight.

The Oilers have played the fewest home games of any team thus far, 26, and one of their goals is to try and become a competitive team on home ice during their final 15 games at Rexall Place.

Tonight presents a good opportunity to start their modest two-game home winning streak when they face the Wild, who are one of the worst road teams in the NHL. The Wild are tied with the Flames, Oilers, Capitals and Coyotes for 2nd fewest road wins in the league, but only Buffalo has scored fewer goals on the road than the Wild's 59.

The Wild are outstanding at home 21-7-2, but they are a measly 10-14-5 on the road. The Oilers need to take advantage of a team that can't score when they don't have last change. The Wild have scored more than 2 goals only 8 times in 29 road games.

The Oilers haven't been world beaters at home, however, with only 10 wins in 26 games, but if they want to eventually become competitive they have to make Rexall Place less inviting. They play 15 of their final 22 games at home, so they will have ample opportunity to get comfortable at home.

LINEUP

Hall-RNH-Yakupov
Hemsky-Gagner-Eberle
Hendricks-Gordon-Perron
Gazdic-Smyth-Jones

Marincin-Petry
N.Schultz-J.Schultz
Belov-Ference

Scrivens

Hemsky has been moved up to the 2nd line and he'll play the left wing. He hasn't spent much time on the left side, but he is excited to be in more of an offensive role. I see this as a final week showcase for Hemsky and Craig MacTavish must be hoping Hemsky can get a boost from his Olympic production. I doubt three or four good games will change things that much, but you never know. Right now I bet there are 10-12 GMs who firmly believe their team could win the Cup, and another 8 or so who think with a lucky bounce and a smart addition they too could be in the hunt.

Nick Schultz is also in showcase mode playing alongside they younger Schultz. I suspect the elder Schultz will be moved before Wednesday and when he is gone, I'd put Belov with J.Schultz for 5-10 games and see how he does. Belov needs to play better, but he skates well and is strong enough to defend big, top-six forwards. He needs to be more consistent, but I think it would be wise to play him top-four minutes and see how he does.

QUICK HITS...

grab-bag
  • Hemsky would fit nicely in Ottawa. They need another top-six winger and some speed. The Oilers would probably love to get forward Matt Puempel, but that won't happen. D-man Fredrik Claesson is a nice prospect, but he shoots left. Nurse, Klefbom, Gernat, Simpson and Musil all shoot left. Ideally if the Oilers acquire a D-man prospect he should be a right-handed shot.

• If the Oilers are able to acquire a prospect instead of draft picks, I think it should be a forward. Right now the Oilers have more quality defence prospects than forwards. A centre would be ideal, but if MacTavish can somehow get a 20-22 year old prospect I'd try for a forward, and not a small, skilled one.

• Most fans and media felt the Islanders overpaid to get Tomas Vanek, but it looks even worse now. He gave up Moulson AND a 2014 or 2015 first rounder and a 2015 2nd rounder. Vanek won't re-sign so he'll be traded before Wednesday. If Snow gets a first rounder back, it isn't going to be a top-five pick this year and likely not even a top-ten next year. Snow either gives up a top-five, likely a top-three pick this year, or he rolls the dice and hopes that somehow his team will improve next season.

The Islanders will be without Moulson or Vanek and they are on the verge of trading away the D-man who plays the most minutes, Andy MacDonald. It will be a massive task to avoid giving up a top-ten pick next year. If the Islanders struggle next year, they could give up two top-35 picks for a player who played 45 games for them. Ouch.

• Ryan Kesler's agent, Kurt Overhardt, told Adrian Dater the report from TVA Sports that Kesler asked for a trade "is B.S." If Kesler did want out there would be a long list of teams interested in acquiring him. He is a very good player. The Oilers desperately need a guy like Kesler. He is a high-end #2 centre, who is a good defensively, can produce offence and plays with an edge. However, there is no way the Canucks trade him within the division. None.

• The Oilers will be a seller, but if I was them I'd look at trying to find a gem like the Ducks did last year with Ben Lovejoy. The Ducks gave up a measly 5th rounder for him and now he's playing 20 minutes a night for them. The Oilers desperately need some 25-30 year old players. Guys with experience, but not a lot of miles. It will be difficult to pull off, because teams want depth, especially on the blueline, but their pro scouting has to be better and find steals like Lovejoy.

The Rangers want to make a splash and could be looking to get extra cap space. Maybe Justin Falk.
    The Coyotes have a lot of D-men -- Could David Rundblad be had, altheven though he is 23 and not that experienced? It is difficult to find a Lovejoy, but I can't recall the last time the Oilers traded away nothing for a player who blossomed in Edmonton.

Spacek, I guess, but that was short term. Ryan Jones on waivers for nothing had two solid 17 and 18 goal seasons, but their overall lack of finding quality veteran NHL players the past eight years is extremely alarming. It is the biggest off-ice issue in the organization in my opinion.

TONIGHT....

image4

**Anna Sidorova... Russia's curling skip at the Olympics. She is very good, and I suspect she is likely to become one of the most popular curlers in the world. Gotta love the Olympics.**

GAME DAY PREDICTION: If you can't beat the pop gun offence of the Wild at home, then who can the Oilers beat? The Oilers start the final quarter of the season much better than they did the first quarter with a ~riveting~ 3-1 win.

OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: Kyle Brodziak scores. Brodziak has 5 goals in his last 8 games in Edmonton and he has 47 career goals on the road compared to 38 on home ice.

NOT-SO-OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: Hemsky scores two goals. It will be only the 11th multiple goal game of his career. He hasn't scored a pair of goals in a game since February 16th, 2013. His two goals adds fuel to the trade rumours and sets up the inevitable, "the Oilers didn't get enough for him," talk for next week.

RECENTLY BY JASON GREGOR

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 Maestro Fresh Mess: Respected NHL Insider
February 27 2014, 01:10PM

My sources in Nashville tell me Shea Weber has requested a trade. He would like to live in western Canada. Apparently Edmonton is near the top of his list.

Indications are Poile is targeting a package that includes Gagner, Pitlick and Anton Lander.

#2 Romulus' Apotheosis
February 27 2014, 02:25PM

You trade Yak for Clarkson, not the Isles draft pick.

#3 Belieber
February 27 2014, 01:30PM
Maestro Fresh Mess: Respected NHL Insider wrote:

IS THIS TRUE? That would be a huge price to pay, even though Weber would be awesome in Etown.

Lander and Pitlick will be NHL superstars if the Oilers get decent assistant coaches! Gags practically is a legend already after that 8 point night.

I dunno...I'm torn on this.

#4 michael
February 27 2014, 01:14PM

OnlyJohn Travolta is still alive. Time moves on.

Would you move Perron for a bigger forward? Matt Peumpel and Lazar for Perron would be nice.

Perron would certainly command a nice return.I really do not see MacT moving Ebs .Hemsky and Perron is more likely.

In your opinion is Justin Shultz untouchable? Could the Oilers move him for a center?

The Islanders are in a rock and a hard place.They are so screwed. Snow has painted them into a corner.Could you see a deal between the Oilers and the Islanders? the Islanders need a player to fill in for the loss of Vanek.They need a shooter. Would you give up Yakupov for the Islanders pick this year? The Islanders cannot give up atop 5 pick to Buffalo next year.Well you can but you can almost be assured that if it happens Garth Snow won't be around. The Isles aremoving into Barclays next year are they not? Ouch.

#5 nuge2nail
February 27 2014, 07:00PM

Oiler Domination To Follow

Would you trade...

2014 First Overall (Bennett or Reinhert), Gagner(2yrs @ 2.4), Prospect(D Simpson)

For

Keslar

Canucks are rebuilding, Keslar probably won't resign in 2 years, but if you could get him to resign would you do this trade?/

#6 loweblows
February 27 2014, 08:38PM
tabs wrote:

Rookie coach, they don't have to play 60 min

youre a real f*cking idiot.

#7 Micheal
February 27 2014, 03:18PM

@pkam

Why do you keep answering questions we ask Gregor. No offence, I didn't ask you and couldn't care less about your opinion on things. Thanks.

#8 tabs
February 27 2014, 08:46PM
loweblows wrote:

youre a real f*cking idiot.

And you're a f*ucking tool.

Learn how to spell

#9 wintoon
February 27 2014, 01:28PM

Perron for Lazar and Puempel would be an overpayment by Ottawa. However if the trade was Perron and Hemsky for Puempel and Lazar I think it would be more balanced. Lazar is a very highly rated prospect and so is Puempel. By offering both Hemsky and Perron we give Ottawa considerable talentfor this year (which they need) and the opportunity to work a reasonable deal for Hemsky going forward.

#10 john
February 27 2014, 07:16PM
nuge2nail wrote:

Oiler Domination To Follow

Would you trade...

For

Keslar

You must be kidding on your aquisition price! For the Nuckleheads to trade Kesler, they would be asking this years 1st, an additional pick in 2015 (to bolster their rebuild ), + Eberle or RNH. The return to aquire Schneider from them in the summer was allegedly not much different from what I laid out for Kesler.

#11 Dodd
February 27 2014, 12:50PM

I've been lukewarm on our pro scouting ever since we had a run of acquiring guys with nagging injuries/ downright big problems. Souray was hurt when we got him. Whitney's foot ultimately looks to have ended his career. We were aware of these things when we signed these guys.

#12 The Towel Boy
February 27 2014, 03:08PM

Re: Anna Sidorova

I'd like to draw into her 4-foot, that's for sure.

AHHOOOOOOOGA!

Hubba Hubaa!

{siren noise}

*hits self on head with wooden mallet*

#13 freelancer
February 27 2014, 01:31PM

@michael

If we're talking about moving a smaller forward for a bigger one I would move Eberle over Perron. Perron is one of the only top forwards that actually plays with some size. Personally I wouldn't call Schulz untouchable. I hope he can become the offensive PP quarterback we hope him to be but if another option came by I wouldn't lose sleep over trading him.

On a different note, what do people here think about turning J Schulz into a Brent Burns and move him to forward. He could still take point on the PP. He's a big body who plays way more offense than he does defense.

#14 tabs
February 27 2014, 09:39PM
Doctor Smashy wrote:

Wouldn't it be hilarious if tabs and loweblows actually work together or something?

Pete: "Hey Dean. You're never going to believe this but I sometimes post on this Oilersnation website..."

Dean: "Oh sure, I know that site. I was posting there just last night..."

...awkward.....

Not really, since I own the company :)

#15 Benny Botts
February 27 2014, 02:02PM
Maestro Fresh Mess: Respected NHL Insider wrote:

ON, this is the problem with letting anyone sign a name and comment...

#16 Spydyr
February 27 2014, 05:50PM

Forget Welcome Back Kotter. The old TV show that best represents the Oilers is obviously The Smurfs.

#17 tabs
February 27 2014, 09:07PM
loweblows wrote:

stop it

You come on here and call me a f*cking idiot, I call you a f"ucking tool and you come back with "stop it".

Is there an ignore button here........

#18 ThatButthurtOilersFan
February 27 2014, 01:12PM
Maestro Fresh Mess: Respected NHL Insider wrote:

Thanks for the laugh, bud.

#19 DJ
February 27 2014, 02:01PM

can't believe no one said this yet...Hurry Hard! Hurry Hard!!!

#20 Benny Botts
February 27 2014, 02:20PM
yessir wrote:

Kinda makes it like an open forum, eh Benny? The NERVE!!!!

Lowetides site is an open forum but you need to sign up. Helps eliminate trolls

#21 tabs
February 27 2014, 04:04PM
pkam wrote:

Too many I would, but the problem is the other side wouldn't.

Here's the rub, Jason and his sidekick are on the air right now saying that Hemsky is worth the 21st pick overall and up all day long.

These same guys will come back and value Yak at about half his worth. Either of them imo opinion are ever ahead of the curve valuing any of the Oilers.

I think Jason has Gagner and Yak valued similarly. It gets better they're now bumping Smyth's tires.

There's the insanity.......

#22 michael
February 27 2014, 04:21PM
Oilcruzer wrote:

Only two died, not inc supporting casts. Epstein and Horshak both of heart attacks in 2012.

For me, Freddie Boom Boom Washington was awesome.

Oil are playing tonite? When are they calling up farm team members? Oh ya, after showcasing trade bait.

Thanks for the clarification.

Gregor your point regarding J Shultz is valid. Here is my question for you. How much is he going to have to sign for this off season.3.4-4.2 million? What about term? 3 years?

I still think you deal Perron for a bigger winger. Or a shot at another top pick.

I really think the Oilers have to come out of this years draft with Eckblad and one of Leon Draisatl and/or another big center.

Its really going to be an interesting offseason.And next week.

#23 tabs
February 27 2014, 09:22PM
loweblows wrote:

absolutely no need for that kind of talk. no need.

I have no history with you, I've never commented on your posts - never. You come on here and call me a f*cking idiot. Then in your next post write "stop it" now it's " absolutely no need for that kind of talk. no need".

Do me a favor and don't ever reply to my posts again. Try and enjoy the rest of your evening.

Fricken whack-job

#24 Danger Pay
February 27 2014, 01:47PM

Hemsky - Gagner - Eberle. That's one small line of forwards, no matter how skilled. It's like using all small forwards on Nintendo's ice hockey, you need at least one medium or large forward to win battles. But hey, that only works on nintendo.

#25 pkam
February 27 2014, 02:12PM
tabs wrote:

Jason, Give us two NHL talents you'd trade Yak for, one for one.

Too many I would, but the problem is the other side wouldn't.

#26 Daniel_Carpenter
February 27 2014, 05:24PM

Just listening to Gregors show today, and I'm not sure he's valuing Hemsky enough. The guy is a proven 70pt man and brings heart and soul to the team. He is a main reason why 06' actually happened. The draft picks Gregor is suggesting suggests to me that Hemsky's abilities have lost respect.

#27 Craven Moorehead
February 28 2014, 06:57AM

It's guys like tabs that ruin this for others.

Especially for insiders like myself and Gregor.

#28 pkam
February 27 2014, 01:25PM
michael wrote:

OnlyJohn Travolta is still alive. Time moves on.

I don't think J. Schultz is untouchable but close, probably just behind Hall and RNH.

Unless the return is too sweet to refuse, I will not move him. How often does a young player with his calibre choose Edmonton over the other 29 teams? What kind of message do we send to the league if we trade him away? How likely will be able to attract another young quality player to come here?

#29 vetinari
February 27 2014, 01:31PM

Curling has never looked so... interesting...

As for the game, please let the Oilers show up tonight with effort, structure, confidence and control, and send the Wild out of town with a loss...

GDP: Oilers 2 Wild 1 (SO)

NSOGDP: On a scrambled line change, Hemsky collides with Gagner who is coming off the bench, with both going down in a heap. The trainers carry them off the ice, dazed and confused, and from somewhere up in the rafters, you can hear MacT scream "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

#30 Fish
February 27 2014, 01:36PM

First one to make a comment about that curler playing with their "rocks" wins!!!

#32 Doctor Smashy
February 27 2014, 09:06PM

Wow...did I ever not miss Sportsnet during the Olympics...I don't mind Debrusk because I find it amazing how much he looks like a Doonesbury character and Keven Quinn reminds me of Kevin Nealon. Hell, I don't even mind Gene's terrible puns....BUT...Mark Spector has to stay off of the TV. He is terrible. His rant in the first intermission praising Hendricks for that dirty hit was disgusting. Spector has the most superficial understanding of the game of anyone I have ever heard talk about it. "Was it a dirty hit? Yeah it was a dirty hit but who cares? Hit somebody!" Eakins best moment this year was embarrassing that tool during the scrum...what an idiot.

#33 Quicksilver ballet
February 27 2014, 10:01PM

Muwahaaahahaha...

Ekblad is virtually all ours. Hard to get motivated when the games mean zip. Players sure looked disinterested. Have to think more than half the players would welcome a ticket out of town.

With MacTavish more than satisfied with Eakins 29th place effort this season, look for Yakupov to asked to be moved now. Can't see Nail putting up with Eakins ship for another season.

Scrivens and N.Schultz to Minnesota next week for Charlie Coyle. Pay half of Nicks salary if you have to.

#35 Zamboni Driver
February 27 2014, 02:19PM

@vetinari

"OGDP: The pre-game will be all about the Olympics but after that, it will be all about the trade deadline next week."

Don't want to nitpick, but the pregame will be about the Olympics....why?

Unless it's not hockey, I suppose.

Actually I take that back. Shannon Szabados should be there. Plus....errr....Also playing in the Olympics were the Russians and Czechs. They took away wonderful memories. Let's hear it for what Hemsky remembers, Oilers fans!

#36 Romulus' Apotheosis
February 27 2014, 02:26PM

"I'd put Belov with J.Schultz for 5-10 games and see how he does."

Schultz has been Belov's most common D partner and they've played pretty well together. I'd happily put them back together on the middle or 3rd pairing.

#37 2015Playoffs?
February 27 2014, 02:33PM
michael wrote:

OnlyJohn Travolta is still alive. Time moves on.

While Yaks hasnt exactly "blossomed" into a real player, we simply cant give up actual skill and NHL ready players, for more picks - no matter how high in the draft. If anything, id want to trade our top 3 pick for another proven player. But Ekblad, if available, is an absolute no brainer.

NO MORE PICKS!!! Lets get some actual players to fill the massive holes in the line-up intead of bringing back players like garbagekov temporarily. We need to improve immediately - not worry about more development.

#38 mrBacon
February 27 2014, 03:07PM
Maestro Fresh Mess: Respected NHL Insider wrote:

One can dream.....

#39 Dog Train
February 27 2014, 05:14PM

I'm just going to enjoy watching Hemsky get one last shot on a scoring line during what is most likely his final few games as an Oiler. I've always appreciated the player and I wish him well in the future. He gave us something to cheer for during many awful seasons.

As for this game, it's going to be boring. That's just the way the Wild roll. I'll say 3-1 Oilers.

#40 The Swarm
February 27 2014, 05:56PM

Horsestack could have coached the Oilers to a better record this year.

#41 Serious Gord
February 27 2014, 06:31PM

Oil should win tonight 3-1. whether fans of exciting hockey win is another story...

#42 loweblows
February 27 2014, 09:27PM
tabs wrote:

Fricken whack-job

and there you go flying off the handle once again. sheesh!

#43 loweblows
February 27 2014, 09:47PM
tabs wrote:

Not really, since I own the company :)

listen junior. whatever two bit operation youre trying to run, i sure hope you clean up your act. real quick.

#44 Hall the time
February 27 2014, 10:11PM

Nice to see nothing has changed, SOOOOOOOOOOOO boring. At lest hemmer will be gone and we can be sure that there's no excitement at all.

#45 Craven Moorehead
February 28 2014, 07:49AM

John

At least Eakins watches the games. What would you like him to change? Nevermind you didn't watch .

Look at our roster. We aren't good. It's never been the coaching!

#46 Dodd
February 27 2014, 12:46PM

Um not to mention Mr. Kotter's wife. AMIRIGHT???

#47 Jacques Strap
February 27 2014, 02:04PM
Maestro Fresh Mess: Respected NHL Insider wrote:

You forgot the Unicorn.

#48 tabs
February 27 2014, 02:05PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

I don't think J.Schultz is untouchable, but the Oilers blueline is very thin and he is their best D prospect right now, so trading him woudln't make much sense.

Until this team improves defensively they won't win. They forwards and D need to be better defensively.

I think Schultz has progressed quite nicely, especially in his own end.

No way I give up Yakupov for NYI pick. Why would you? Oilers get younger again. If I trade Yakupov it is for established NHL talent.

Jason, Give us two NHL talents you'd trade Yak for, one for one.

#49 yessir
February 27 2014, 02:08PM
Benny Botts wrote:

ON, this is the problem with letting anyone sign a name and comment...

Kinda makes it like an open forum, eh Benny? The NERVE!!!!

#50 Fish
February 27 2014, 02:10PM

The Sweat"hog" Line? So many interpretations on that one. Hockey forward pairing, curling, old TV shows, innuendos.