THE PITCH: TIMING IS EVERYTHING

Robin Brownlee
February 06 2014 11:28PM

Whether you go by gut-feeling or spreadsheet, there's no way of knowing for sure if Ben Scrivens is the real deal the Edmonton Oilers have been waiting for in the goal crease, but there's no question he's making a compelling and timely case that he is.

I gave my take on Scrivens and Ilya Bryzgalov and Edmonton's goaltending situation a few days ago as both approach UFA status, so I won't re-paint the big picture I outlined, but it's difficult not to look at Scrivens again after he made 35 saves in a 2-1 win over the New York Rangers.

With six games in the books for the Oilers, the 27-year-old stopper from Spruce Grove has stopped 219 of the 231 shots he's faced, which translates to a .948 saves percentage. He's 3-3-0 with a 2.01 goals-against average.

Small sample size (as the stats guys are fond of saying)? Sure. Does six games mean GM Craig MacTavish should back up the Brink's truck for Scrivens to convince him not to test the UFA market? No. This could be a remarkably hot stretch, nothing more.

REALITY CHECK

That said, the reality is MacTavish does not have the luxury of taking a longer look than what he'll get beyond the end of the regular season where Scrivens is concerned. There's an element of risk because of that.

The way I see it, MacTavish would be well-advised to make Scrivens and agent Jay Fee an offer sooner rather than later. At the same time, it makes sense for Scrivens and Fee to let this play out and test the market. I tend to think that's how it'll unfold.

One thing's certain, Scrivens couldn’t have picked a better time to play the best goal of his brief NHL career. Every time he puts in a performance like he did against the Rangers, his price goes up. While he's not going to play at a .948 clip indefinitely, he's going to get paid.

ALL THAT TALK ABOUT SAM

I'd like to think that even Sam Gagner's harshest critics, and there are many who fall into that category, understand that trading him to the Los Angeles Kings for Kyle Clifford straight up is a move only a fool would make. Say what you want about MacTavish, he's no fool.

While it's nonsense on so many levels, at least as a one-for-one swap, there's so much smoke surrounding discussions between L.A. GM Dean Lombardi and MacTavish that there's got to be some fire there. One supposed insider even suggested today via Twitter Gagner would be shipped to Tinseltown before the New York game. Well, no.

The only way a swap involving Gagner and Clifford makes sense – I'm not the first to suggest this – is if there's other players involved on both sides, and I'm not just talking about Lombardi flipping the draft pick the Oilers gave up for Scrivens back to Edmonton.

Youngster Tyler Toffoli, a centre, was the subject of much speculation as an add-in from the L.A. side of things, but that tips the scales too far in favor of the Oilers for Lombardi to bite. If this talk turns into a trade, there's got to be somebody from Edmonton's end going south to square it up.

WHAT ABOUT RAMSAY?

If the Oilers are looking to add a coach to their staff in support of Eakins between now and next season -- they are -- they should be taking a long look at Craig Ramsay, who was sacked by the Florida Panthers last November when head coach Kevin Dineen was let go.

Ramsay, 62, who has made coaching stops with Florida, Ottawa, Boston, Atlanta, Philadelphia and Tampa Bay, where he won the Stanley Cup in 2004, is the kind of teacher and technical coach who'd be a fit here.

WHILE I'M AT IT . . .

. . . I said it on Twitter today and I'll say it again: while I see a need for MacTavish to bolster his forwards with grit and size that can play in the top six, I'd like to think he's making calls about proven defensemen. You won’t get a top-pairing blueliner for Gagner, but I'd like to think he can fetch a veteran capable of playing in the second pairing here.

Listen to Robin Brownlee Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. on the Jason Gregor Show on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
A sports writer since 1983, including stints at The Edmonton Journal and The Sun 1989-2007, I happily co-host the Jason Gregor Show on TSN 1260 twice a week and write when so inclined. Have the best damn lawn on the internet. Most important, I am Sam's dad. Follow me on Twitter at Robin_Brownlee. Or don't.
Avatar
#101 oilerjed
February 07 2014, 01:23PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
K_Mart wrote:

Gagner is playing the worst hockey of his career right now, and sure enough everyone in Edmonton thinks that now is the right time to trade him.

so brutal. Why the hell would you trade a guy when his value is at its lowest?

The offseason was the right time, before the jaw injury. Now he's worth nothing more than a package that is centered around Clifford? wow.

Gagner will rebound next year, that's when you trade him. Trading him now would be devastating.

Next Year?!?! Enough with the next year talk. When is a good time next year? around the trade deadline when another season is already decided. There is a finite amount of time with these players and the time for them to start learning winning is NOW! Then when they actually get in the playoffs they may stand a chance instead of 1-2 one and dones and suddenly we are talking extensions on our core with no history of being able to win. Not advocating cleaning out the cupboards of the future, just start fillingholes now. It may take 2-3 years to fillem all.

Avatar
#102 oilerman53
February 07 2014, 01:28PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

A few thoughts on some of the issues and topics at the moment for the Oilers. First off their play has seemed to settle down quite a bit, their are those moments where they still look like a fire drill in their own zone so this needs to be remedied by adding a couple of veterans. Second is the play of Scrivens, if I were this guy I would accept a tabled offer from the Oilers at say maybe a 2 yr deal to show what he can do next season. 2 yrs for a tryout seems a bit much but in the end its Scrivens himself who holds all the cards as of now. His play has given the team some of its lost confidence knowing he can be relied upon to make the big save if need be. He would be wise to accept an offer like that too because he basically got given up on by both LA and Toronto in favor of Bernier and Jones.

Third thought is the trade value of lets say Gagner and Hemsky. Everyone knows that they have had a couple of off years and Gagner isn't going to cure you of your ailing defense deficiencies but he is a useful player. He's almost strictly an offensive player at this point of his career. No more no less, any team that wants him will pay handsomely because he can score and pass. All other aspects of his game outside of that are a wash. Gagner straight up for Clifford makes no sense on our end. Best course of action is to wait until the trade deadline or maybe even the draft. At the draft you can package him to get a defenseman unless a team gets really desperate at the deadline and offers us a top 4 defender. Same thing he nothing less then a top 4 dman for Gagner. Hemsky will get us a prospect or a first rounder. A team like lets say Anaheim, Pittsburgh or New Jersey will be choosing late in the first round so something like this doesn't really haunt you. I think the best course is trade away Gagner, Hemsky, Petry and anyone who may get us some picks that we can swap out at the draft. Then we'll be able to retool and use that high pick to net us a top 4 dman and a center for the second line who's north of 6'2 220.

Avatar
#103 tabs
February 07 2014, 01:29PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
oilerjed wrote:

Next Year?!?! Enough with the next year talk. When is a good time next year? around the trade deadline when another season is already decided. There is a finite amount of time with these players and the time for them to start learning winning is NOW! Then when they actually get in the playoffs they may stand a chance instead of 1-2 one and dones and suddenly we are talking extensions on our core with no history of being able to win. Not advocating cleaning out the cupboards of the future, just start fillingholes now. It may take 2-3 years to fillem all.

Gagner has already been here 4 years too long, WTF give him another 2 or 3 years to prove himself.

Avatar
#104 Zarny
February 07 2014, 01:34PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Even you have the democratic right to be wrong Robin. Don't let your post announcement routine taint your 30 yrs of watching this game.

This experiment has crashed and burned. The players haven't improved at all during the season. It tells me the important players on this team have already tuned him out. These kids want/need an example. What has Dallas done besides demand their respect. He doesn't have the balls/experience to side step earning their respect.

He's already damaged Yakupovs desire to play the game. Don't think MacT has the time to allow the players to send him this message even further. A veteran coach like Maurice is worth 20 more points in the standings. What the frigg has Eakins done, besides start making every mistake in the book once or twice. I'm sure Yakupov can't wait for Dallas to get the boot.

Me score goals, win game.....good, no? Love his passion for the game.

You're delusional.

The Oilers started 4-14-2 in their first 20 games. They are just below 0.500 since so they've obviously improved.

The first 20 games were an anomaly due to injuries hitting a roster that is paper thin and garbage goaltending. With decent G they would have 5 or 6 more W and would be sitting Nsh, Car and NJ which is a better reflection of where the team is at.

Eakins has already damaged Yakupovs desire to play the game?

Get a grip. Maybe you are weak-minded and quit that easily.

Guys that make the NHL? Umm no.

Avatar
#105 tabs
February 07 2014, 01:37PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

@tabs

Gagner for Dwight King straight up and LA picks up 100% of Gagner's contract would be a super for the Oilers. Though I doubt LA would do the deal.

Avatar
#106 tabs
February 07 2014, 01:40PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Zarny wrote:

You're delusional.

The Oilers started 4-14-2 in their first 20 games. They are just below 0.500 since so they've obviously improved.

The first 20 games were an anomaly due to injuries hitting a roster that is paper thin and garbage goaltending. With decent G they would have 5 or 6 more W and would be sitting Nsh, Car and NJ which is a better reflection of where the team is at.

Eakins has already damaged Yakupovs desire to play the game?

Get a grip. Maybe you are weak-minded and quit that easily.

Guys that make the NHL? Umm no.

You honestly believe organizations have never stalled/impaired a players development?

And you're calling someone else delusional!

Avatar
#107 DisappointedFan
February 07 2014, 01:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

@tabs

If MacT has some serious blackmail on Lombardi then that could happen

Avatar
#108 Spydyr
February 07 2014, 01:45PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jordan Nugent-Hallkins wrote:

Just heard Letang is out six weeks after suffering a stroke? Lordy, hope he's okay.

I cannot prop that but thanks for the news,bad as it is.

Like you I sure hope he is OK.Off to google news.

Edit :link to the story here:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=704165

Avatar
#109 tabs
February 07 2014, 01:46PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DisappointedFan wrote:

If MacT has some serious blackmail on Lombardi then that could happen

When a deal for Gagner is done make sure you stop by to tell everyone that you might just have overvalued Gags a tad.

Avatar
#110 tabs
February 07 2014, 01:52PM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@tabs

If MacT was considering a bold move I'd be in favor of Hall for Doughty but I seriously doubt the Kings would do that deal.

I would trade Hall for 5 or 6 D-men in the league.

Avatar
#111 DisappointedFan
February 07 2014, 01:55PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

@tabs

Umm..re-read my comment..

I'm telling you that I don't think he's worth the $4.8mil and that there is no way Lombardi wants to pick up that kind of contract straight up in exchange for a big forward. Unless the Oilers were retaining a huge chunk of Gagners salary it's not happening.

Avatar
#112 DisappointedFan
February 07 2014, 01:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

@tabs

You would trade the hardest working, most productive player on the Oilers...

Are you the same kind of person that would trade Crosby or Ovechkin off your team?

Avatar
#113 Spydyr
February 07 2014, 01:59PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
SlowTalker wrote:

I don't think Spydyr is the guy to ask. He might know more about the whereabouts of Vancouver's AHL team.

The Barons are in Charlotte but it is after 1pm and no news.Since you asked the heat are home in Abbotsford in the middle of a four game homestand.

Just for the record the only two teams I like less then Vancouver are Calgary and Toronto.

Avatar
#114 tabs
February 07 2014, 02:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
DisappointedFan wrote:

Umm..re-read my comment..

I'm telling you that I don't think he's worth the $4.8mil and that there is no way Lombardi wants to pick up that kind of contract straight up in exchange for a big forward. Unless the Oilers were retaining a huge chunk of Gagners salary it's not happening.

My bad, you're absolutely right.

Last summer I valued Gagner as high as a low 2nd round pick, King is much better then a 2nd round pick plus the Kings would be paying on an inflated contract.

Avatar
#115 tabs
February 07 2014, 02:06PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
DisappointedFan wrote:

You would trade the hardest working, most productive player on the Oilers...

Are you the same kind of person that would trade Crosby or Ovechkin off your team?

Yes, I would. A guy like Drew Doughty, Weber etc would do more for the Oilers then someone like Hall imo. Though I respect Hall's game immensely he has traits that he needs to lose.

Taylor Hall is far from the best player in the league, you know that right?

Avatar
#116 Walter Sobchak
February 07 2014, 02:07PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Zarny wrote:

You're delusional.

The Oilers started 4-14-2 in their first 20 games. They are just below 0.500 since so they've obviously improved.

The first 20 games were an anomaly due to injuries hitting a roster that is paper thin and garbage goaltending. With decent G they would have 5 or 6 more W and would be sitting Nsh, Car and NJ which is a better reflection of where the team is at.

Eakins has already damaged Yakupovs desire to play the game?

Get a grip. Maybe you are weak-minded and quit that easily.

Guys that make the NHL? Umm no.

The first statement, 4-12-2 since then they have improved? Where exactly can a 29th or 30th team go but up? Does it mean there actual getting better? Or are they now seeing other teams Qual Comp less?

When was the last team to play there starting goalie against the Oilers?

How much time did the other teams star players play against the Oilers? (I’ll give you a hint it’s lower then the average)

They have been out shot, out chanced and dominated 5X5 in their last wins, including being dominated at times by the 30th place Buffalo Sabers.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm?season=20132014&gameType=2

“The first 20 games were an anomaly due to injuries hitting a roster that is paper thin and garbage goaltending. With decent G they would have 5 or 6 more W and would be sitting Nsh, Car and NJ which is a better reflection of where the team is at”

This is a bit of a stretch as well, if you recall last season The Oilers were down to just 2 centers for the most of the year, one which couldn’t lift his arm past his head, the Oilers never had a true number 1 or number 2 center almost all of last year due to injuries.

This season they are actually performing worse.

All the core players are.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/02/05/has-craig-mactavish-done-better-than-steve-tambellini-did-as-gm-of-the-oilers/

If you can’t see the change in Yakupov’s game the I guess almost everyone including the stats are wrong? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhMC4T3agcfmdG9OWkZvaVQ4bXJtT3Jub29BcnRsMWc&usp=sharing

Avatar
#117 DisappointedFan
February 07 2014, 02:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

@tabs

He's also a franchise player, a player like Eberle, Yak or Gagner are expendable assets. Hall is the kind of player you try and build a team around. Is he the same caliber as Crosby, no, but he's the kind of player you don't ever want to trade because of what he does for your team.

I would trade some serious pieces for Weber in a heart beat, but certainly not our best player.

Avatar
#118 Danger Pay
February 07 2014, 02:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

Make an Offer. Management practically gave the net to Duby and he blew it, Big time. The problem is, does Scrivens want to play here?

Avatar
#119 tabs
February 07 2014, 02:23PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DisappointedFan wrote:

He's also a franchise player, a player like Eberle, Yak or Gagner are expendable assets. Hall is the kind of player you try and build a team around. Is he the same caliber as Crosby, no, but he's the kind of player you don't ever want to trade because of what he does for your team.

I would trade some serious pieces for Weber in a heart beat, but certainly not our best player.

You have Hall rated much higher and Yak much lower than I.

Don't get me wrong I like Hall but I don't think he'll have the impact that other "franchise players" have had in the game.

Avatar
#120 Serious Gord
February 07 2014, 02:24PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Robin Brownlee wrote:

MacT isn't firing Eakins between now and the start of next season.

He will add a veteran coach -- my vote as of now is Ramsay -- before they change the head coach again. My sense is Smith and Buchberger are on shakier ground than Eakins.

That's what they said last year - that they were just going to get an assistAnt to help kreuger...

My guess is that if a FOK coach becomes available in the summer Eakins is out on his ear. And if it's messier who's interested he could be gone as early as this afternoon.

And no way they hire an idependent-minded assistant.

Avatar
#121 Zarny
February 07 2014, 02:24PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

James Mirtle wrote an great article chronicling the rise of Finnish and Swedish goaltenders over the last 10-15 years. I would include the US too but for different reasons.

Finland realized that goal-tending could be a great equalizer for a tiny country. They invested heavily in G development to the point where most minor league G in Finland have trained G coaches. Sweden then started borrowing from Finland improving on the system.

The results are evident. Finland beat Sweden for the Gold at this year's World Jr's. Finnish and Swedish goalies dominate the best league in the world.

I think there are parallels between tiny countries like Finland & Sweden and a small market like Edmonton.

Short of being Stanley Cup favorites, Edmonton will always have difficulties attracting top free agents. As we've seen with Scrivens goaltending can be a great equalizer.

Since drafting Dubnyk in 2004, the Oilers have only drafted 5 G in 9 drafts and only 1 in the first 4 rounds. They bet it all on Dubnyk and lost.

I agree MacT should make Scrivens an offer sooner rather than later. He's unproven so anything over 2-3 years is risky; and the only teams who will be looking for starting G are Edm, Florida, NYI, Buf (if they trade Miller) and maybe Calgary.

MacT can't stop there. The mentality of waiting for 1 prospect/player and assuming they'll develop has to end. Especially in such a critical position like G.

There are numerous young G who have done well this year. They won't cost Yakupov, Eberle or a 1st round pick. Go get one to push Scrivens.

Going forward the Oilers should always be heavily investing in G. Anh has 4 G who are better than anything Edm has except maybe Scrivens. That should be the Oilers.

Avatar
#122 DisappointedFan
February 07 2014, 02:35PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
tabs wrote:

You have Hall rated much higher and Yak much lower than I.

Don't get me wrong I like Hall but I don't think he'll have the impact that other "franchise players" have had in the game.

You could say I rate my "Production" players by performance, points and +/- equal performance when that is why you're on the team. Some players perform and others do not.

Maybe it's the coach, maybe it's the players with him, maybe he doesn't like the professional game; regardless, he is barely visible most nights and an impact player for other teams on other nights. The odd night (like last night) he made a small difference for the Oilers.

But as it is right now, Yakupov is -29 and staying pretty steady where he is.

Avatar
#123 Zarny
February 07 2014, 02:37PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
tabs wrote:

You honestly believe organizations have never stalled/impaired a players development?

And you're calling someone else delusional!

Stalling or not developing a player properly is not the same as "damaging their desire to play the game".

It's clear from comments that many posting on ON are quitters, because they assume that's how hyper-competitive athletes think. They don't and that mentality is pathetic and embarrassing.

I'm sure Eakins isn't Yak's favorite coach, but "damaging his desire to play the game".

Get a grip.

Avatar
#124 Zarny
February 07 2014, 03:20PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Walter Sobchak wrote:

The first statement, 4-12-2 since then they have improved? Where exactly can a 29th or 30th team go but up? Does it mean there actual getting better? Or are they now seeing other teams Qual Comp less?

When was the last team to play there starting goalie against the Oilers?

How much time did the other teams star players play against the Oilers? (I’ll give you a hint it’s lower then the average)

They have been out shot, out chanced and dominated 5X5 in their last wins, including being dominated at times by the 30th place Buffalo Sabers.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm?season=20132014&gameType=2

“The first 20 games were an anomaly due to injuries hitting a roster that is paper thin and garbage goaltending. With decent G they would have 5 or 6 more W and would be sitting Nsh, Car and NJ which is a better reflection of where the team is at”

This is a bit of a stretch as well, if you recall last season The Oilers were down to just 2 centers for the most of the year, one which couldn’t lift his arm past his head, the Oilers never had a true number 1 or number 2 center almost all of last year due to injuries.

This season they are actually performing worse.

All the core players are.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/02/05/has-craig-mactavish-done-better-than-steve-tambellini-did-as-gm-of-the-oilers/

If you can’t see the change in Yakupov’s game the I guess almost everyone including the stats are wrong? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhMC4T3agcfmdG9OWkZvaVQ4bXJtT3Jub29BcnRsMWc&usp=sharing

Well Walter...the last team to play their starting G was SJ on January 29th...4 games ago. The game before that Vancouver started Luongo. Nsh starter is injured but the game before that was Phx and they started Smith. The 2 games prior to Phx were Van and Wpg. Again both starters played.

Star players playing lower minutes against the Oilers?

Well let's see...against the Rangers McDonaugh, Girardi, Callahan, Staal, Stralman, Stepan and Nash all played equal to or more than their average TOI/game.

Against Bos Chara played 27:50 compared to his season average of 24.57. Boychuk played 20:09 to his season average of 21:05. Krejci played 20:15 to his season average of 19:31.

So nope...other teams aren't playing their star players less against the Oilers I'm afraid.

Last season Nuge missed 8 games and Gagner missed none. Horcoff was the 3rd line C not 1 or 2. That's who missed significant time last year.

So I'm afraid last year the Oilers actually had their 1 and 2 C for most of the games. This year both started the year on the IR. Nuge's shoulder bothered him last year but he started the season in peak condition after playing in the AHL during the lockout.

This year he started the year on the IR with Gagner and was not in peak condition when he came back considering he was coming off surgery and wasn't able to train in the off-season.

It's not a stretch in the slightest that the first 20 games were an anomaly considering they've almost been at 0.500 since. That's the definition of an anomaly.

Had the Oilers started 8-10-2 instead of 4-14-2 and picked up 1 or 2 wins after with better G they'd be sitting exactly where I stated with Nsh, Car and NJ.

Now that certainly isn't something to plan a parade around; but it also doesn't warrant wetting your pants and completely losing touch with reality like we've seen on ON.

Avatar
#125 help me
February 07 2014, 03:20PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@DisappointedFan

The whole works needs to go. Lowe mac t and all the old boys. 14 years. No player wants to come to an organization with the worst management in the league. They will be chasing 4th liners and bottom players as long as they are in charge.

Are u paying 15000 a year for the past 10 yrs to be the last place team. The lowe type 1 fan is tired of it.

Avatar
#126 Quicksilver ballet
February 07 2014, 04:04PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Walter Sobchak wrote:

The first statement, 4-12-2 since then they have improved? Where exactly can a 29th or 30th team go but up? Does it mean there actual getting better? Or are they now seeing other teams Qual Comp less?

When was the last team to play there starting goalie against the Oilers?

How much time did the other teams star players play against the Oilers? (I’ll give you a hint it’s lower then the average)

They have been out shot, out chanced and dominated 5X5 in their last wins, including being dominated at times by the 30th place Buffalo Sabers.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm?season=20132014&gameType=2

“The first 20 games were an anomaly due to injuries hitting a roster that is paper thin and garbage goaltending. With decent G they would have 5 or 6 more W and would be sitting Nsh, Car and NJ which is a better reflection of where the team is at”

This is a bit of a stretch as well, if you recall last season The Oilers were down to just 2 centers for the most of the year, one which couldn’t lift his arm past his head, the Oilers never had a true number 1 or number 2 center almost all of last year due to injuries.

This season they are actually performing worse.

All the core players are.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/02/05/has-craig-mactavish-done-better-than-steve-tambellini-did-as-gm-of-the-oilers/

If you can’t see the change in Yakupov’s game the I guess almost everyone including the stats are wrong? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhMC4T3agcfmdG9OWkZvaVQ4bXJtT3Jub29BcnRsMWc&usp=sharing

Zarny is another one of those Oiler employees trying to contain this supposed disturbance in the force. Guess we should just forgive him of his sins since he's only doing his job.

If I cherry picked 20 "chosen" games out of this seasons shedule, I could argue that 2+2=5 as well.

Avatar
#127 DisappointedFan
February 07 2014, 04:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
help me wrote:

The whole works needs to go. Lowe mac t and all the old boys. 14 years. No player wants to come to an organization with the worst management in the league. They will be chasing 4th liners and bottom players as long as they are in charge.

Are u paying 15000 a year for the past 10 yrs to be the last place team. The lowe type 1 fan is tired of it.

The only people who should be shelling out $15,000/year are people who wouldn't complain about having shelled out $15,000/year for a bad product.

Ever consider no one wants to trade with the Oilers because we don't have anything they want...?

Lowe I can't understand shoo'ing away, same with Bucky and Steve, MacT has no hand to play, and Eakins is still trying to learn to coach the NHL.

The only people who can make an IMMEDIATE difference, are the players on the ice. End of story, if they don't play smart, they won't win. Kevin Lowe isn't magically holding their sticks or threatening them "IF YOU PLAY WELL I'LL CUT YOU!" and if he is, then yeah I can see your point.

Avatar
#128 Walter Sobchak
February 07 2014, 05:05PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Zarny wrote:

Well Walter...the last team to play their starting G was SJ on January 29th...4 games ago. The game before that Vancouver started Luongo. Nsh starter is injured but the game before that was Phx and they started Smith. The 2 games prior to Phx were Van and Wpg. Again both starters played.

Star players playing lower minutes against the Oilers?

Well let's see...against the Rangers McDonaugh, Girardi, Callahan, Staal, Stralman, Stepan and Nash all played equal to or more than their average TOI/game.

Against Bos Chara played 27:50 compared to his season average of 24.57. Boychuk played 20:09 to his season average of 21:05. Krejci played 20:15 to his season average of 19:31.

So nope...other teams aren't playing their star players less against the Oilers I'm afraid.

Last season Nuge missed 8 games and Gagner missed none. Horcoff was the 3rd line C not 1 or 2. That's who missed significant time last year.

So I'm afraid last year the Oilers actually had their 1 and 2 C for most of the games. This year both started the year on the IR. Nuge's shoulder bothered him last year but he started the season in peak condition after playing in the AHL during the lockout.

This year he started the year on the IR with Gagner and was not in peak condition when he came back considering he was coming off surgery and wasn't able to train in the off-season.

It's not a stretch in the slightest that the first 20 games were an anomaly considering they've almost been at 0.500 since. That's the definition of an anomaly.

Had the Oilers started 8-10-2 instead of 4-14-2 and picked up 1 or 2 wins after with better G they'd be sitting exactly where I stated with Nsh, Car and NJ.

Now that certainly isn't something to plan a parade around; but it also doesn't warrant wetting your pants and completely losing touch with reality like we've seen on ON.

The two teams you mentioned were NYR who are in a battle to stay in the playoffs & BOS who are trying to catch PITT so those players are playing more.

again, missing the point, my point is the Oilers are going to see more and more of the back up’s, coaches are going to start resting the starters against the Oilers as the season closes, that’s just the way it is.

If by “peak” condition do you mean the same RNH that played 25 minutes in a game upon his return? That same not in peak condition player? The same RNH that has played 25 minutes in a game four or five times this year?

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/02/07/ryan-nugent-hopkins-out-for-up-to-10-days-with-new-shoulder-injury/

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=681750

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=681375

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/02/06/ryan-

nugent-hopkins-shoulder-injury-means-edmonton-oilers-injury-train-grows-by-one

That goes back to 2012, with RNH & his shoulder injury, so with RNH out basically the whole year last year, that’s your number 1 center going down & not playing anywhere near the way he should have played in the NHL & AHL as he missed time there as well, that means Gagner played a lot of top line minutes, Gagner is not a number 1 center…

As mentioned earlier, both Belanger & Horcoff being down a substantial amount of time that left the Oilers only 1 functional Center.

“It's not a stretch in the slightest that the first 20 games were an anomaly considering they've almost been at 0.500 since. That's the definition of an anomaly”

The first 20 games are what they were a terrible stretch by a bad hockey team, or should I mention that Scrivens 970 SV % is an anomaly and will come crashing down to reality to the mean of around 920 SV% resulting in more goals and loses for the Oilers?

No, I won’t, I am concerned about and what you seem to think where an improvement has been made?

“The Oilers started 4-14-2 in their first 20 games. They are just below 0.500 since so they've obviously improved.”

I’m looking at the numbers and they don’t lie

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhMC4T3agcfmdG9OWkZvaVQ4bXJtT3Jub29BcnRsMWc&usp=sharing#gid=0

You show me the improvement there? You talk about the 4-12-2 as an anomaly, I’m here to tell you that the anomaly is the Oilers recent winning streak & Scrivens while obviously a good goalie will come crashing down.

These numbers tell a different story then the one you preach.

I want the Oilers to start winning just like the next person, but it's hard to get jacked up when numbers like these are being made.

Avatar
#129 Walter Sobchak
February 07 2014, 05:08PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Zarny is another one of those Oiler employees trying to contain this supposed disturbance in the force. Guess we should just forgive him of his sins since he's only doing his job.

If I cherry picked 20 "chosen" games out of this seasons shedule, I could argue that 2+2=5 as well.

It's ok, I like his passion, and he reminds me of the good version of DSF. Which can’t be all bad, he keeps guys like me in check anyways.

how you been?

Avatar
#130 Quicksilver ballet
February 07 2014, 05:12PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Pittsburgh needs a RW to slot in with Crosby and Kunitz. Hemsky and N. Schultz for the Pens 1st this summer.

After all these years we're still in sell the farm mode.

@ Wes....great, got away for 6 weeks and back at it. Never a dull moment, trying to fix our Oilers. How about yourself?

Avatar
#131 oilersfan123
February 07 2014, 05:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Walter Sobchak wrote:

The first statement, 4-12-2 since then they have improved? Where exactly can a 29th or 30th team go but up? Does it mean there actual getting better? Or are they now seeing other teams Qual Comp less?

When was the last team to play there starting goalie against the Oilers?

How much time did the other teams star players play against the Oilers? (I’ll give you a hint it’s lower then the average)

They have been out shot, out chanced and dominated 5X5 in their last wins, including being dominated at times by the 30th place Buffalo Sabers.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm?season=20132014&gameType=2

“The first 20 games were an anomaly due to injuries hitting a roster that is paper thin and garbage goaltending. With decent G they would have 5 or 6 more W and would be sitting Nsh, Car and NJ which is a better reflection of where the team is at”

This is a bit of a stretch as well, if you recall last season The Oilers were down to just 2 centers for the most of the year, one which couldn’t lift his arm past his head, the Oilers never had a true number 1 or number 2 center almost all of last year due to injuries.

This season they are actually performing worse.

All the core players are.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/02/05/has-craig-mactavish-done-better-than-steve-tambellini-did-as-gm-of-the-oilers/

If you can’t see the change in Yakupov’s game the I guess almost everyone including the stats are wrong? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhMC4T3agcfmdG9OWkZvaVQ4bXJtT3Jub29BcnRsMWc&usp=sharing

Winning is the main thing. Who cares if they get outchanced on occasion?

Avatar
#132 Quicksilver ballet
February 07 2014, 05:33PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

If only Hall could get that second assist on his goal. It might help bump his numbers some.

Just keepin it real.

Avatar
#133 Walter Sobchak
February 07 2014, 05:40PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
oilersfan123 wrote:

Winning is the main thing. Who cares if they get outchanced on occasion?

It's not that there just being out-chanced on occasion.

They are being out shot, ,out chanced & the SV% is well above the NHL average almost every game

This is a Disastrous combination.

If Winning is just the main thing then you have the Maple Leafs.

Avatar
#134 Walter Sobchak
February 07 2014, 05:43PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Pittsburgh needs a RW to slot in with Crosby and Kunitz. Hemsky and N. Schultz for the Pens 1st this summer.

After all these years we're still in sell the farm mode.

@ Wes....great, got away for 6 weeks and back at it. Never a dull moment, trying to fix our Oilers. How about yourself?

Nice! getting ready to take off somewhere sunny myself, get some golf in.

I like the Hemsky to Pitt, maybe a first back?

Avatar
#135 2004Z06
February 08 2014, 10:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Marcus wrote:

BTW, NHL goalies don't get their equipment from Sport Check. Custom made and it's on the way.

https://twitter.com/VaughnHockey/status/425681312754569217

Thanks for the bulletin. I am well aware of how long it takes to get equipment custom made. But it takes days to get a mask painted, not weeks. You can bet he has a spare!

Comments are closed for this article.