BIG OPPORTUNITY

Lowetide
February 07 2014 09:13PM

The trade for Ben Scrivens looks like a quality move by Oilers GM Craig MacTavish. However, Oiler fans have gone from "well, maybe Scrivens will be okay" to "why didn't they sign him right away!?!?!" and Oiler management is being cast as incompetent in a whole new way. The Oilers have something of value for young Srivens—beyond money. That one thing is probably the key to signing him, and doing it in due time.

WORK!

The Oilers can offer Ben Scrivens work, and plenty of it. Now, he might not get 50+ shots a night, but he'll be busy until these young players mature and begin pushing back against good NHL teams (all of the good NHL teams are in the Pacific Division—I'm kidding but only a little).

Edmonton could go to Scrivens during the Olympic break and offer a lucrative contract that goes beyond his resume. If they extended a two or three-year offer with dollars between $2M and $3M a season, I can't imagine the young man turning it down. There's some real security in that contract for Scrivens.

It's still a risky contract for the Oilers, as Scrivens doesn't have a lot of experience and the club just went through a disaster in goal early this season. What if Scrivens is unable to repeat his season in 2014-15? Once bitten, twice shy is a cliche for a reason.

WHAT ABOUT SIGNING SCRIVENS TO A ONE-YEAR DEAL?

If he signs a one year deal, wins the #1 job and kills it, you're paying a lot of money for additional free agent seasons. Then again, if the Oilers have another poor season that may not be MacTavish's problem. Among decisions to be made in the next six months, starting goaltender is pretty damn big.

DAMMIT MAN, WHAT'S THE BETTER PLAN?

A good General Manager looks to solve the problem longer term, so a multi-year deal is likely the better plan. A two-year deal—and a veteran backup with plenty of experience—may be the route to take. However, I believe MacTavish would be wise to wait until the rest of this season rolls out, and for the Oilers to play Ben Scrivens in 15 (or so) games after the Olympics. His price may go up, but the Oilers have to be sure on this one.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

I believe Craig MacTavish was on his way to signing a Jonas Hiller in the offseason before Scrivens happened. The Oilers may still sign a veteran starter, but the opportunity to solve a massive problem with a player in his prime is very attractive. The asset cost was low, the dollar investment (money and term) should still be reasonable.

Edmonton and Scrivens may be a very good match. The carrot is the money married to the opportunity. Ben Scrivens will probably be as interested in a multi-year deal and the #1 job in the spring as he is now, and the Oilers will get a longer look before committing to another masked man before they are completely convinced he can succeed as a starting goalie.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#51 Hall the time
February 08 2014, 08:29AM

I can't stand this team!, they win games i don't want them to win or care for and lose the games i really want them to win, witch is most. I cant seem to put any kind of emotional investment into this team at all because it always ends in disappointment.

#52 a lg dubl dubl
February 08 2014, 08:46AM

Id like to see Scrivens signed to a 2 yr deal in the 2mil ball park imo, see what the guys really like after a full year on this team. I think he'd sign just so he can prove himself at home.

Bryz, let him walk,or trade him go after a more reliable goalie that can play upwards of 50 games like Cam Ward. I know MacT probably cant fleece the canes for him but with Khudobin playing the way he has been Ward could be had on the some what cheap so the Canes can save some cap space, and Ward is only signed for 2 more years after this season. Plus having 2 Alberta boys in net that want to be the #1 might make for great goaltending.

Cam Ward for NShultz and Bryz at the deadline

#53 a lg dubl dubl
February 08 2014, 08:48AM
Hall the time wrote:

see ya back on the band wagon in a year or 2 then ;)

#54 Spydyr
February 08 2014, 08:50AM
Serious Gord wrote:

As has been noted above Scrivens has been passed over by two other teams; he was undrafted; he has played precious few games.

I will reiterate: Roman Turek.

The risk of screwing up and paying too much is far greater than missing a diamond in the rough.

Let him play out the season and then - if he remains solid - offer him a contract. Let's see how he does against top flite opposition in the last ten games of the year.

That said I agree with rob brown: if a team comes looking to trade for him before the deadline to fill a need - trade him.

....

Good to see DSF re-engaging in the fray. I wondered why he had gone on sabbatical. I loled at his saying he'd been away on Elba. I would laugh even harder were that actually true.

So you are saying hold on to him past the trading deadline then if he does not sign here he walks for nothing.

You have to take chances and make hard decisions in a rebuild.The "braintrust" has done neither up to this point.

IMO letting an asset walk for nothing is wrong either sign him before the deadline or trade him at the deadline.One or the other.

#55 Serious Gord
February 08 2014, 08:56AM
Spydyr wrote:

I'm saying trade him if a desparate team comes along.

Failing that wait until the end of the season. Scrivens could refuse to sign now if he's planning on going elsewhere or wanting to at least keep his options open (that's what I would do if I were him).

I find it hard to believe that MacT planned on signing or trading him before the deadline when he traded for him. Why would he change and now - because of five games? Surely he's not that easily panicked.

#56 Spydyr
February 08 2014, 09:08AM
Serious Gord wrote:

I'm saying trade him if a desparate team comes along.

Why keep him after the deadline if he has no intention of signing here?

That is poor asset management.

It is not like they are in a playoff battle.Losing one, two or three more games at this point is not a bad thing. This season is a write off.Unfortunately once again we are forced to look forward towards another lotto pick.If that pick is a couple spots better because they lost three meaningless games at the end of another disappointing season ,great a better pick.

#57 God
February 08 2014, 09:11AM

I heard there was a PR firm hired to patrol Oilers websites and trash negative comments while leaving silly positivity about a team obviously stuck in the ditch of mediocrity (at best).

After seeing some of the numbers on here, I wonder if it isn't just a sly rumour for our man-drama.

#58 Thumby
February 08 2014, 09:16AM
Spydyr wrote:

Why keep him after the deadline if he has no intention of signing here?

That is poor asset management.

Spyder - I agree with your assessment of meaningless end of season games. Sure, play to win and all that but if the season is dead, you HAVE to consider how much more impact a top 1 or 2 pick gives your team on average vs. a top 7 or 8 pick. (see Kane VS. Gagner as example).

I get trashed a bit for saying its a losers game to do this: "Yay, we just beat the Canucks 4-2 in game 82! Oh, they had both Sedins and Kessler out to rest? I don't care, we won!" and then you drop from a top 4 pick to 7th. To me, this is truly silly.

#59 Spydyr
February 08 2014, 09:20AM
Thumby wrote:

It is the NHL if you don't try in win every game you end up like the Oilers.

All kidding aside every game should be played to win.At this point if your goalie sucks and you lose a few oh well better lotto pick.

They needed Scrivens at the start of the year when the game mattered.They might not have been out by Halloween then.

To his credit Mac-T tried. Obviously in hindsight not hard enough.

#60 Serious Gord
February 08 2014, 09:21AM
Spydyr wrote:

Why keep him after the deadline if he has no intention of signing here?

That is poor asset management.

MacT traded for him not knowing whether he could sign him. I think its safe to assume that he planned on seeing him play well past the deadline before deciding to try and sign him.

For the record I opposed the trade in the first place - I thought it bad asset management to give up a pick for twenty games in a write off season. Still do.

That Said, not signing him yet is wise - there is far too little evidence to support making a deal the size Scrivens and his agent are going to demand in lieu of forfeiting a chance at free agency with - presumably - a solid record for the balance of this season in his CV.

Again I urge readers to look up roman turek. That was a disaster for the flames and it was a result of panic on managements part.

#61 Serious Gord
February 08 2014, 09:26AM
Spydyr wrote:

It is the NHL if you don't try in win every game you end up like the Oilers.

To his credit Mac-T tried. Obviously in hindsight not hard enough.

How hard did MacT try to get at least a solid backup for dubnyk?

We will likely never know, but I think that MacT overvalued dubnyk. The same way he overvalued gagner and grebs and belov and ...

#62 Randaman
February 08 2014, 09:34AM
Spydyr wrote:

Why keep him after the deadline if he has no intention of signing here?

That is poor asset management.

Unfortunately you are both right in a sense. Asset management is important here but we all know that Scrivens holds all the cards here. I don't think he will sign before the deadline unless he is enjoying being home with family and has started to form friendships in the dressing room. MacT will have to be willing to overpay to make that happens. Nothing new for Edmonton. No big UFA is coming here. FACT! 3 years @ 3M per would a good deal in my view but I'm not even sure that entices him. Tough situation for the Oil. Value goes up with every strong performance. No?

#63 michael
February 08 2014, 09:34AM

Does Tbay go into the playoffs with Lindback as their backup?

The Rangers are one Lundquist injury away from disaster.

Washington? Even with no team defense they have Neuvirth as a backup. How badly do they want veteran backup going into the stretch run.

IB is a viable option for many of these teams. He has played really well.Been sane.A good teammate.Solid.It adds up to IB being traded at the deadline.

Scrivens has been all that and a bag of chips.To the haters. Bite me. Scrivens has earned the respect of his teammates. Most off all he has earned their confidence.

When DD was in net you could not say that. It was obvious at times how they felt.

Scrivens has stepped and grapped the bull by the horns and is screaming at the top of his lungs that he wants the number 1 job.

Hometown boy who was given an opportunity to play on ice that he dreamed about as a kid. Could you write a better story.

Sign him at 2x2.4 and be happy that your team has a guy that they have faith in.

remember the Labarbera Hissy fit earlier this year. Nuff said.

#64 tileguy
February 08 2014, 09:43AM

L.T. wrote

LoL, a UFA with one of the best save% signing for 2Mil. All those that beleive this will happen say yea.

crickets

We definitely have to archive this article and see what he actually signs for. I'm doubtful 3yrs at $3mil will get it done.

#65 Serious Gord
February 08 2014, 09:49AM
michael wrote:

Does Tbay go into the playoffs with Lindback as their backup?

The Rangers are one Lundquist injury away from disaster.

remember the Labarbera Hissy fit earlier this year. Nuff said.

I for one do not hate Scrivens. It is that five games is far too small a sample size. There is BOLD. And there is panic and recklessness.

And if he refused your measly offer of 2x2.4, would you turn your back on him? Were I him I wouldn't sign for that.

#66 Mike Modano's Dog
February 08 2014, 09:56AM

See him play in the starter's role from here to the end. See what he's worth, then pay him accordingly WHATEVER that amount is.

1. If he's a great starter pay him as such

2. He may falter but play well in the tandem role

3. I he falters, but plays well with fewer starts - as a backup then that will be obvious to everyone else as well, and you will only need pay him as such. You'll sign him easily IF he wants to play here.

4. I don't see him failing in all roles but if he did you'd b glad you waited.

Couple things I'd like to touch on.

You NEED to find out IF he's interested in staying and playing here in the long haul, in all sincerity if the dollars are right for both parties. If he says no, then I think you have to trade him, for sure. You cannot lose that asset.

But if he says he IS interested I believe the opposite is true. This is a smart guy that doesn't like uprooting his family. I don't think scuttling him out of town would make him want to sign here afterwards. If that happens you will have lost sight of the number one goal here: to secure a top-flight goalie, for not only the present but the future too. No trade will make that worthwhile. We have seen - for a long time now, what poor goaltending will get you.

#67 Woogie63
February 08 2014, 10:27AM

Lots of talk on asset management. We spent a 3rd round draft pick ( i don't think we have ever had a 3rd rounder make a significant contribution ) so we really gave up nothing.

After 5 games is he worth much more than a 3rd round pick.

I know it is a Scrivens thread, but the much more interesting asset management is the other goalie.

Boston, SJ, PItt, and Chicago all have legit chances to WIN the cup. Each team has an established started, but might benefit from a UFA with lots of NHL experience as an upgrade. Each team has lots of non roster players that would be interesting to the Oilers

#68 Neal
February 08 2014, 10:27AM

I know it's a small sample size, but we've just been reminded of the value of having a top goaltender. From the comments here, though, I get the feeling that MacTavish is going to get trashed no matter what he does. Really guys, he made a helluva move in bringing in Scrivens and at least setting up his next shot.

But, if you were Scrivens, why wouldn't you go to free agency? There's no way he can lose. Tough one...

#69 Walter Sobchak
February 08 2014, 10:35AM

@DSF

Welcome back.

It wasn’t the same without you.

#70 Walter Sobchak
February 08 2014, 10:43AM

@Lowetide

Do you not feel it’s a risk to sign Scrivens early though?

His 950 SV % isn’t going to last, with the amount of shots the Oilers give up his SV percentage is sure to come down, where that comes down to is what I’m concerned about.

I have a feeling that the Oilers are going to offer ridicules money and term, like Dubnyk money and term, I argued that giving Dubnyk the money then and I see the Oilers doing the same thing here

#71 admiralmark
February 08 2014, 11:24AM
Serious Gord wrote:

How hard did MacT try to get at least a solid backup for dubnyk?

MacT pulled practically pulled out all stops to try and get Schneider from Gillis. Details are unknown but most insider s say it was the 1st round pick(#9) plus a 2nd Round Pick + Defensice Prospect(rumour is Marincin). Not sure how much of that is true but we know for sure it was better then what NJ gave. So its obvious he tried to get a starter and make Dubnyk his backup. That is not a sign of overvaluing. That was a sign of complete lack of faith.

#72 **
February 08 2014, 11:25AM
Woogie63 wrote:

After 5 games is he worth much more than a 3rd round pick.

wow, like who would be interesting exactly?, keep in mind you just said the better of the 2 goalies is not worth more than a 3rd round draft pick.

#73 **
February 08 2014, 11:44AM
Woogie63 wrote:

I don't see many examples of two organization that our choosing between a second and third string, young, cheap goalie and both of them get it wrong.

My belief is it goaltending in the NHL is the most competitive job in the league (like a QB in the NFL). Teams play the guy who give them the best chance to win.

With 57-75 NHL games under his belt, I don't think he has the leverage suggested in other posts. I don't see a top 15 team in the NHL that would want to start the year with Scrivens as your clear numbef 1. I think he is headed for at best a 1 a/b situation.

"The fact is TML and LAK both took a long look at Scriven, and both chose someone else that would give him a better chance win." this is not a fact, this is your opinion.

I never said LA got it wrong. Again, in LA's case is all about spending most of their goalie budget on Jonathan Quick. They believe in him. That is why they gave him a massive 10 year, 58 million contract. LA simply doesn't care much who their back up is. Except for this season where he got hurt, QUick has played over 60 games since 2009 for the Kings. He has won a Stanley cup. He is their guy. The y have not only shipped Scrivens out but Bernier too. You argued that 57 games was a very small sample size, yet you say that LA gave him a long look, when he only played 19 games for them, in which he posted a .934 sv%, 1.97, and a winning record of 7-5-4-3. What exactly is not to like?. At this point i think you are just being stubborn and refuse to look at the evidence.

#74 **
February 08 2014, 12:22PM

@Serious Gord

Roman Turek played solid goaltending for the first team that gave him the starting job: the St Louis Blues. They finished first in the league on his first season and 6th on his second. Then with the flames he was over .900 and under 2.6 GAA, so it's not like he imploded, the flames were a bad defensive team finishing well out of the playoffs on his first 2 years there. He also posted over .500 in games won in all seasons but his last where he played only 18 games. Even if Scriven were to turn Turek's numbers, it would stil be better than what the Oilers have had in the past few years. Dubnyk may have had better sv%, but he has never posted even a .500 in his career.

#75 Serious Gord
February 08 2014, 01:25PM
Woogie63 wrote:

After 5 games is he worth much more than a 3rd round pick.

He's worth fifteen games in a lost season until he a FA. I think that is far less valuable than a 3rd round pick.

#76 gcw_rocks
February 08 2014, 01:25PM

I don't think the Oilers can wait. They have the wife situation to consider. Happy wife, happy life and all. With the Islanders and possibly Penguins and Panthers in need of goaltending next year and all probably higher on his wife's happy list, the Oilers likely need to start the process ahead of the deadline to determine if he is even willing to sign with the Oilers.

#77 Serious Gord
February 08 2014, 01:26PM
Neal wrote:

20 odd games in net in a lost season for a 3rd round pick. I think MacT got jobbed.

#78 Serious Gord
February 08 2014, 01:28PM
admiralmark wrote:

MacT was barking up the wrong tree going after Schneider. No way gillis trades him to a team in the same division.

#79 Serious Gord
February 08 2014, 01:31PM
** wrote:

I think your memory is faulty. Turek was lights out in the twenty games before button signed him. Then he sucked after it - letting in untimely soft goals in tight situations (sound like someone else we know?).

It eventually cost button his job - he told me so himself.

#80 David S
February 08 2014, 01:50PM
Serious Gord wrote:

How hard did MacT try to get at least a solid backup for dubnyk?

If by "over valued" Dubnyk and Gagner you mean "signed them to league-average deals based on uptrending performances which ranked them well within the salary ranges offered", well then by all means you're correct.

We all know what happened to Gagner and Dubnyk, both situations which could NOT have been foretold when they were signed. In Gagner's case only a fool would think this year's play is any indication of his true value. In fact I'd bet a crisp plastic hundie if he's here after the break he'll be markedly better.

MacT took a flyer on Grebs as vet insurance on a Charmin soft D. When he didn't work out, he shipped him to OKC. Belov is still adjusting to the North American game but shows promise (and buddy has a cannon for a shot). Don't you think it's better a GM takes chances than do the Tambellini "I'll just sit on my hands and see how things work out" schtick.

AND I'm still waiting to hear how this ends up with some version of "Fire Lowe", because that's where things always end up, right?

#81 Serious Gord
February 08 2014, 03:20PM
David S wrote:

I and others have long said that duby and gagner and Greba were over-valued and signed by oilers management for contracts that no one else would have done.

We have been prove right thusfar and you (and oilers management) have been wrong.

#82 Dash Riprock
February 08 2014, 03:34PM
Serious Gord wrote:

So if Vancouver would not trade Schneider to Edmonton, they completely over valued Schneider or they thought Edmonton was one player away (a goal tender) from being a threat. So how smart of a GM do think Gillis is?

#83 Serious Gord
February 08 2014, 06:00PM
Dash Riprock wrote:

Partly. But mostly just didn't want a luongo - Schneider comparison eight times a year.

#84 TDSM31
February 08 2014, 06:16PM
Serious Gord wrote:

Okay, enough with the Roman Turek thing already. There are tons of examples of players having stretches of excellent play then getting signed to a big contract and then not living up to the dollars. There are also a lot of examples of players getting passed over only to become first rate nhl'ers. You can't sit here and tell me you know exactly how Scrivens will turn out. That is the job of management and the scouting staff. If they think Scrivens has enough talent and he shows well not only in games but in practice and the dressing room they will sign him. I guarantee you they are not sitting around saying, "...but guys, remember what happened to the Flames and Roman Turek?"

#85 Still hoping
February 08 2014, 09:00PM

He is good. Sign him now or trade him. Will not sign with oilers as a UFA. Way smarter management out there than Lowe and Mac T will woo him away.