GDB Wrap Up: Oilers @ Wild

baggedmilk
March 11 2014 09:21PM

ViktorFasthNationProtector

Who would have ever expected this game to get to a shootout when the Oilers were down by 3? Just like they drew it up! Final Score: 4-3 Oilers

Tonight, we got our first look at 2 new Oilers in Viktor Fasth and Oscar Klefbom. Klefbom's debut was a little bit shaky but you'd have to think the kid was super nervous. There's a lot of expectations for Klefbom, and I thought he played with more confidence as the game went on, even registering his first assist. Not a perfect debut but who was perfect in this one? As for Fasth, he wears #35 and has already gone uninjured longer than Khabibulin - you've got to respect that. Despite being welcomed by the land of no defence, Fasth stole the Oilers a win tonight. It's pretty exciting to have a legitimate goaltending duo for the first time in forever!

Overall this game was messy. ELPH? This wasn't it. Maybe it's because they were playing the Wild, or maybe the game was as slow as it looked. I can't decide. (More likely the Wild) Either way, this game was like being kicked in the shins, watching the WNBA, then getting a massaged by a pretty lady - kinda boring, mostly irritating, but worth the wait. Regardless, the Oilers came up with a hell of a comeback to win this game. WHO SAW THAT COMING? Not Towel Boy, not you.

Let's wrap this one up...

99probs02-03

The Bright Side

• Viktor Fasth stole that game for the Oilers
  • David Perron continues his quest for all word studlyness
  • Taylor Hall's play on DPs goal was the result of hard work and godlike genetics
  • Perfectly executed the pass, pass, pass, pass, pass , turnover power play
  • PK was really good during the Minnesota 5 on 3

The Face Palms

• 3 straight goals in 4 minutes for the Wild
  • Many many passes to the wrong team
  • Power Play was groooossss
  • Defence was often a suggestion more than a requirement
  • Minnesota Wild games should come with a coffee enema

Best of the Tweets

Screen Shot 2014-03-11 at 7.58.13 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-11 at 8.04.46 PM

7inthe3rd

LifeintheFasthLane

DeletingTweets

HallThatIsMan

If you want to be included in next game's Best of the Tweets, be sure to mention @OilersNation with your witty (or terrible) jokes. Since I didn't tell anyone I was doing this, I had to search around for twitter jokes and I'm far to lazy to keep doing that.

94ea28cbbd0f9fe4153692bb3e38b40c
Twitter tyrant for @OilersNation - Resident Jackass - Poor vessel for carrying milk. Follow me on twitter (@jsbmbaggedmilk) - Instagram (@himynameisbaggedmilk) or email me at baggedmilk@oilersnation.com.
#51 gcw_rocks
March 12 2014, 07:41AM

My 11 year old daughter, who very rarely watches hockey but loves excuses to stay up past her bedtime, watched part of the game with me. In the commercials we would flip over to the Pens - Caps game.

Her observation on the Pens - Caps game - "Daddy, how come the hockey is so much better in this game?"

Out of the mouth of babes...

#52 hockeycrazed
March 12 2014, 07:44AM

First off, congrats on a come-back win for some hard work oilers. Yet, I can't help but think I should be the wet blanket here! I've been watching Hall, want to say it for a while, but let it go, just to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he did it again last night! He seemed lost... or dis-interested, still losing the puck a lot, in the offensive zone, then, casually following the attacker back, then when he got to his own blue line, he stopped, waiting for a miracle to happen it seems..... instead of picking an attacker and do some back checking! Why? Is that what the coaches are telling you to do, Hall? It boggles the mind sometimes to see such a 'talented' young man to display plain laziness/undisciplined play so early in his career.

#53 Rdubb
March 12 2014, 07:48AM
Cervantes wrote:

The patented "Pass it through three sets of legs for a cross-crease tap-in"? As soon as we figure out how to get it through that third set of legs we'll be great.

Srsly though, the Oil have no plan of attack at evens and it's becoming hard to watch. They get the puck in the corner and then sit there going "what do I do now?". No plan for getting point shots, shooters in the slot, cross crease passes, or anything. They pass it around and maybe cycle a little bit. Everyone kinda hangs around on one side of the ice (not too close together mind you, or you wouldn't get to be outmanned on every puck battle), fiddle with it for a bit, and then a weak shot or deflection goes to the other side , and there isn't an Oiler within 20 feet.

Eakins is fine for defensive play, but the Mighty Oil Typhoon needs an experienced NHL coach for offensive/PP plays. There can be no doubt.

Jason Gregor harps on this every 2nd day, Edmonton MUST start practicing offensive stuff instead of just practicing in the d-zone, and that doesn't include PP, which NEEDS plenty of help too... Gregor always say, and I agree 100% that Edmonton needs to practice @ both ends of the ice. They need to practice like they play, and if someone gets a bloody nose, so-be-it!!! The harder they practice the better they'll play... Although Fraser isn't a 3/4 d-man, maybe not even a 5/6, he still goes hard in practice and pushes the kids around, this way they'll know how it feels, and what to do in games. Being lackadaisical during practice doesn't help anyone, it only hurts... who have been our best players this season? Perron-learned to practice from another team Gordon-same as above Hendricks-same as above The Prof-same as the above Ference-same as the above What does this say? All of our best players have come from other teams and haven't been "home grown", why is that? An organizational thing? who knows, but I know what it looks like to me when I take the time to look from a different angle... Peck

#54 Spydyr
March 12 2014, 08:02AM
bazmagoo wrote:

So far in 2013-14

1st period - 50 goals for 71 against

2nd period - 48 goals for 73 against

3rd period - 61 goals for 63 against

What's the reason for the consistent slow starts?

The team is tired from chopping wood,hauling water all day.

#55 CaptainLander
March 12 2014, 08:29AM

Looks as though the Oil should call up Lander and Hunt just for the PP, 3 PP point each last night.

#56 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
March 12 2014, 09:11AM

Viktor, apologies you had to go from the first overall Anaheim Ducks to the gutter punk Edmonton Oilers. Unfortunately here, no matter how well you play during these next six weeks, it all matters not. Hope you weren't counting on any playoff money for this as well as next season.

Anyways.....welcome to Edmonton. Home of hockey that doesn't matter for almost a decade already.

No facts have been compromised to support this claim.

#57 Doctor Smashy
March 12 2014, 09:24AM
hockeycrazed wrote:

I'm not sure I agree. Hall seemed very aggressive last night. He had quite a few takeaways on backchecks by my eye. I will say this though...Hall is a bull with the puck (I like the fact that he takes chances to try to create offence) crashing through defenders along the boards...I'm not sure why he doesn't play more physical without the puck. I thought his backchecking was fine but I would like to see him hit more...not to destroy people but more to create chaos when the other team has the puck. Impact is a function of mass and velocity...and Hall has a lot of velocity...so why is noone sh%$$ing themselves when Hall comes towards them? He should make that part of his game.

#58 Shredder
March 12 2014, 09:24AM

So our best players are our goalies and they're only around for another year or 2?

#59 Dave
March 12 2014, 09:41AM

Glad to hear Eakins is proud of them for not quitting in the NHL! Just 5 more years and the kids will be motivated again for another contract and maybe they'll start actually putting in full games and start winning

#60 Ed in Edmonton
March 12 2014, 10:12AM
Doctor Smashy wrote:

I have been one of Ganger's critics, but yes he is playing better than earlier in the year.

#61 Dave
March 12 2014, 10:13AM

@Doctor Smashey

"Also, I know the stats support this but has anyone noticed that Gagner LOOKS like he is playing better?"

To me he seems lost out there.

#62 Tikkanese
March 12 2014, 10:17AM
Taylor Gang wrote:

Klefbom made my heart stop once or twice, other times I was amazed at what he did.

Amazed at how nervous he looked every time the puck came near him? Hopefully that was a one-off game.

#63 GriffCity
March 12 2014, 10:18AM

Always nice to come from behind and win. Honestly though, who's responsible for this power-play set up? Bubbles and Ricky? I have never seen such a poor PP in my life. Over this season I am sure that the chances against are near the same as the chances for while on the PP. Its a joke, and you know who I really like? Ray Ferraro. Guy calls it like it is and knows a lot about hockey. Guy played over 1,000 career games and was a pretty decent player in his time. Maybe he should be brought in to help the woeful Oilers. I just love how he calls a spade a spade though, said something like, "wakey wakey Oilers, this powerplay is embarrassing" and it is.

The lone bright spot for me last night was Fasth. The guy played lights out and could have easily had a shutout if it weren't for some poor defending on rebounds after a couple stellar first saves ( Marincin, Klefbom) and one really unlucky bounce that totally changed direction that no one could stop. Aside form that he was our best player and I have no complaints.

#64 Ed in Edmonton
March 12 2014, 10:35AM
GriffCity wrote:

Ferraro is the best color guy in the game and I hope Rogers picks him up. Ideally to do the Oilers games, but that is probably too much too expect. Having said that, almost anyone would be better than captain obvious (AKA Louis DeBrusk).

#65 pkam
March 12 2014, 10:46AM
Spydyr wrote:

The team is tired from chopping wood,hauling water all day.

If the team is tired from chopping wood and hauling water all day like you said, where is their energy in the 3rd period comes from?

#66 Tikkanese
March 12 2014, 10:50AM
Ed in Edmonton wrote:

Although it is not much to pick from, Debrusk is the best member of the trio of:

- Gene "Even my hair is a pun" Principe

- Kevin "I thought every hat-trick was a natural hat-trick" Quinn

- Louie "hahaha oh Kevin" Debrusk

Dream team would be Emerick from NBC and Ferraro.

#67 2015Playoffs?Nope!
March 12 2014, 10:53AM
Ed in Edmonton wrote:

DeBrusk....so annoying!! I was happiest when Penner got traded so i wouldnt have to hear "Big Dustin Penner" everytime he was on the ice. As if it was part of his name.

Hes terrible! But not as bad as what the Flamers down south get.... Roger Millions... how he is still on TV i have no idea. Even voice is annoying, his comments are annoying... even his hair is annoying!

#68 Oiler Al
March 12 2014, 11:37AM
Dave wrote:

@Doctor Smashey

To me he seems lost out there.

I would say that the last coupled of games he has played better, more battle along the boards , but still making dumb passes.

Lets see how he plays here on in, after the old Cookie crunch last night. Lets hope Sam doesnt turtle after that big hit.

#69 Oiler Al
March 12 2014, 11:40AM
Ed in Edmonton wrote:

DeBrusk might not be a shinning star, however, he is miles and miles ahead of Kelly Hrudy on CBC, and the two homers on Canuck games.. John Garette has to be the worst in the business.

#70 Doctor Smashy
March 12 2014, 12:29PM
Oiler Al wrote:

I like that DeBrusk can barely contain his anger and confusion over bad calls...however, someone needs to talk to him about saying "sniffing back door" three times per telecast...I know what he means but it always evokes an image of how Mark Spector must have got into broadcasting...(sorry, I just can't stand that guy)

#71 Pucker
March 12 2014, 01:32PM

Just seen the end of the game. The comeback.

Hall made a real nice move along the boards past two defenders by the blue line. And to hold on to the puck! He's also looking more physical on the forecheck and it looks to me that his strength has improved significantly this year.

That makes for great potential and brings a smile to my face. Needs to stop with the silly passes though.