GDB Wrap Up: Oilers @ Wild

baggedmilk
March 11 2014 09:21PM

ViktorFasthNationProtector

Who would have ever expected this game to get to a shootout when the Oilers were down by 3? Just like they drew it up! Final Score: 4-3 Oilers

Tonight, we got our first look at 2 new Oilers in Viktor Fasth and Oscar Klefbom. Klefbom's debut was a little bit shaky but you'd have to think the kid was super nervous. There's a lot of expectations for Klefbom, and I thought he played with more confidence as the game went on, even registering his first assist. Not a perfect debut but who was perfect in this one? As for Fasth, he wears #35 and has already gone uninjured longer than Khabibulin - you've got to respect that. Despite being welcomed by the land of no defence, Fasth stole the Oilers a win tonight. It's pretty exciting to have a legitimate goaltending duo for the first time in forever!

Overall this game was messy. ELPH? This wasn't it. Maybe it's because they were playing the Wild, or maybe the game was as slow as it looked. I can't decide. (More likely the Wild) Either way, this game was like being kicked in the shins, watching the WNBA, then getting a massaged by a pretty lady - kinda boring, mostly irritating, but worth the wait. Regardless, the Oilers came up with a hell of a comeback to win this game. WHO SAW THAT COMING? Not Towel Boy, not you.

Let's wrap this one up...

99probs02-03

The Bright Side

• Viktor Fasth stole that game for the Oilers
  • David Perron continues his quest for all word studlyness
  • Taylor Hall's play on DPs goal was the result of hard work and godlike genetics
  • Perfectly executed the pass, pass, pass, pass, pass , turnover power play
  • PK was really good during the Minnesota 5 on 3

The Face Palms

• 3 straight goals in 4 minutes for the Wild
  • Many many passes to the wrong team
  • Power Play was groooossss
  • Defence was often a suggestion more than a requirement
  • Minnesota Wild games should come with a coffee enema

Best of the Tweets

Screen Shot 2014-03-11 at 7.58.13 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-11 at 8.04.46 PM

7inthe3rd

LifeintheFasthLane

DeletingTweets

HallThatIsMan

If you want to be included in next game's Best of the Tweets, be sure to mention @OilersNation with your witty (or terrible) jokes. Since I didn't tell anyone I was doing this, I had to search around for twitter jokes and I'm far to lazy to keep doing that.

94ea28cbbd0f9fe4153692bb3e38b40c
Twitter tyrant for @OilersNation - Resident Jackass - Poor vessel for carrying milk. Follow me on twitter (@jsbmbaggedmilk) - Instagram (@himynameisbaggedmilk) or email me at baggedmilk@oilersnation.com.
#1 Challenged
March 11 2014, 10:18PM

Until you get a better Photoshop artist I refuse to read the article. Really now, that is awful.

#2 Taylor Gang
March 12 2014, 12:07AM

Sammy is gone by the offseason, Arco takes his place fresh off the Calder Trophy win. Book it.

#3 bazmagoo
March 11 2014, 11:41PM

I think it would be interesting to analyze how many goals for and against we have in each period throughout the year, I guarantee we are getting hammered in the 1st period. Can't understand how we come out flat each and every game, it's an Eakins mystery! Thought Ference had his best game of the season tonight. Fasth looks like a good pick up, and Klefbom held his own in the end. The competitive edge of the team came through in the end, as it has in quite a few games recently, at least they haven't accepted losing.

Favourite part of the game was when Gagner was chirping Cooke on his way to the bench. Learn how to take a hit Sammy Snow Pants! Better yet, just leave so we can have open auditions for your spot already.

#4 **
March 11 2014, 10:03PM
nuge2nail wrote:

Oiler Domination To Follow

Teams 8-3-2 since MacT addressed the goaltending and team toughness issues?

Defence and Center Position Next.

Nurse and the 2nd overall should help.

40+ million in cap space this offseason doesn't hurt (after Gagner trade).

Don't get your panties in a bunch. The Oilers have been outchanced on most of those games. If not for the goalies they would be sucking the big one. Until they get better d men they will keep sucking.

#5 NJ
March 11 2014, 10:42PM

Re: 1-3-1. Anyone criticizing that PP setup needs to go watch the Pens or Capitals run it. While the Oilers are currently failing at it, the execution is the issue, not that setup.

Without the boomer up top other teams have taken away the down low play. What do you suggest for PP setup and execution? There are pieces missing. We all know the Oilers won't "really" improve until the add more good pieces.

Please God trade for PK. (Gagner, Klebfbom and our first this year and second next year maybe?) Wait. I'm just another deluded Oiler fan dreaming and over valuing players again.

#6 Taylor Gang
March 12 2014, 01:55AM
@Oilanderp wrote:

No way man. I think the goaltending issue has been addressed and next is the defense. Get a clue!

Troll alert

#7 Eulers
March 11 2014, 10:47PM

Well, that was a good game for multi-tasking.

What a brutal start! Fasth gets the same "3 Michelin star" welcome as Scrivens: more rubber than a Michelin factory. At times, the Oilers looked like kindergardeners running around after the puck--only it was getting close to nap time.

Kudos to the Wild for easing off the gas pedal to hand the Oilers a thoroughly (another) undeserved win.

#8 hockeycrazed
March 12 2014, 07:44AM

First off, congrats on a come-back win for some hard work oilers. Yet, I can't help but think I should be the wet blanket here! I've been watching Hall, want to say it for a while, but let it go, just to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he did it again last night! He seemed lost... or dis-interested, still losing the puck a lot, in the offensive zone, then, casually following the attacker back, then when he got to his own blue line, he stopped, waiting for a miracle to happen it seems..... instead of picking an attacker and do some back checking! Why? Is that what the coaches are telling you to do, Hall? It boggles the mind sometimes to see such a 'talented' young man to display plain laziness/undisciplined play so early in his career.

#9 mesa
March 12 2014, 01:14AM

i think we should hire Ralph krueger for a week to teach us how to manage the pp then fire him.cause the ass(istant)coaches did not pick up few tricks from him when they were together for two years.

#10 Quicksilver ballet
March 12 2014, 09:11AM

Viktor, apologies you had to go from the first overall Anaheim Ducks to the gutter punk Edmonton Oilers. Unfortunately here, no matter how well you play during these next six weeks, it all matters not. Hope you weren't counting on any playoff money for this as well as next season.

Anyways.....welcome to Edmonton. Home of hockey that doesn't matter for almost a decade already.

No facts have been compromised to support this claim.

#12 bwar
March 11 2014, 10:56PM
nuge2nail wrote:

Oiler Domination To Follow

You need to learn how to read.

I said the goaltending issue has been addressed and the recent positive record shows it.

I also said the Defense is the next issue that needs to be addressed.

How is that any different than what you just said?

Don't get your panties in a bunch, now that we've addressed the goaltending we need to start fixing the D. Oilers domination to follow?

#13 Taylor Gang
March 12 2014, 12:03AM
Total Points wrote:

Gagner on the shootout. I don't think so

Nuge is even worse on the shootout.

#14 Doctor Smashy
March 12 2014, 09:24AM
hockeycrazed wrote:

I'm not sure I agree. Hall seemed very aggressive last night. He had quite a few takeaways on backchecks by my eye. I will say this though...Hall is a bull with the puck (I like the fact that he takes chances to try to create offence) crashing through defenders along the boards...I'm not sure why he doesn't play more physical without the puck. I thought his backchecking was fine but I would like to see him hit more...not to destroy people but more to create chaos when the other team has the puck. Impact is a function of mass and velocity...and Hall has a lot of velocity...so why is noone sh%$$ing themselves when Hall comes towards them? He should make that part of his game.

#15 nuge2nail
March 11 2014, 10:51PM
** wrote:

Oiler Domination To Follow

You need to learn how to read.

I also said the Defense is the next issue that needs to be addressed.

How is that any different than what you just said?

#16 Total Points
March 11 2014, 11:33PM

Gagner on the shootout. I don't think so

#17 Retsinnab5
March 11 2014, 09:39PM

Hey Eakins how's the impossible to defend PP doing?

#18 nuge2nail
March 11 2014, 09:42PM

Oiler Domination To Follow

Teams 8-3-2 since MacT addressed the goaltending and team toughness issues?

Defence and Center Position Next.

Nurse and the 2nd overall should help.

40+ million in cap space this offseason doesn't hurt (after Gagner trade).

#19 gcw_rocks
March 12 2014, 07:41AM

My 11 year old daughter, who very rarely watches hockey but loves excuses to stay up past her bedtime, watched part of the game with me. In the commercials we would flip over to the Pens - Caps game.

Her observation on the Pens - Caps game - "Daddy, how come the hockey is so much better in this game?"

Out of the mouth of babes...

#20 pkam
March 12 2014, 10:46AM
Spydyr wrote:

The team is tired from chopping wood,hauling water all day.

If the team is tired from chopping wood and hauling water all day like you said, where is their energy in the 3rd period comes from?

#21 BorjeSalming-IanTurnbull
March 11 2014, 09:44PM

Terry Trafford' A very sad day

#23 Sorensenator
March 11 2014, 11:33PM

The 2nd line of Eberle, Nuge, and Yak looked terrible for most of the night. I'm glad Eberle was at least able to take advantage of that greasy rebound. All three need to step it up.

I can't see both Eberle and Yakupov in the lineup next year. If the composition of the top six does not add more size and grit, we will continue to see games where 3 small skilled forwards cannot contain the puck in the offensive zone.

#24 Shredder
March 12 2014, 09:24AM

So our best players are our goalies and they're only around for another year or 2?

#25 Dave
March 12 2014, 09:41AM

Glad to hear Eakins is proud of them for not quitting in the NHL! Just 5 more years and the kids will be motivated again for another contract and maybe they'll start actually putting in full games and start winning

#26 Dave
March 12 2014, 10:13AM

@Doctor Smashey

"Also, I know the stats support this but has anyone noticed that Gagner LOOKS like he is playing better?"

To me he seems lost out there.

#27 Pucker
March 12 2014, 01:32PM

Just seen the end of the game. The comeback.

Hall made a real nice move along the boards past two defenders by the blue line. And to hold on to the puck! He's also looking more physical on the forecheck and it looks to me that his strength has improved significantly this year.

That makes for great potential and brings a smile to my face. Needs to stop with the silly passes though.

#28 dougie
March 11 2014, 09:57PM

I was going to rip Eakins for choosing Hall in the shootout over Nuge and Yak. But since he scored, I will save it for another day.

#30 Taylor Gang
March 11 2014, 10:41PM

Klefbom made my heart stop once or twice, other times I was amazed at what he did.

#31 David S
March 11 2014, 10:44PM
Chainsawz wrote:

I'm convinced Jeanshorts and Baggedmilk are the same person and that person suffers from advanced delusionary schizophrenia with involuntary narcissistic rage.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

#32 Zarny
March 12 2014, 12:23AM
NJ wrote:

No, you aren't delusional. PK will want big $$$ and the Canadians do not like paying big $$$.

You're probably looking at Yak or Eberle, not Gagner and Mtl might still say no, but it's not impossible they say yes.

#33 Zarny
March 12 2014, 01:03AM
Taylor Gang wrote:

What makes you think EDM wants to break the 6M dollar threshold?

They may not. Valid point.

If I had to make a list though I'd start with PK Subban made the Canadian Olympic team unlike any Oiler currently signed for $6M.

I don't believe the Oilers have a $6M threshold. I think they hedged on 3 prospects; 2 who were drafted 1st overall.

It's possible Nuge and Eberle don't quite live up to $6M every year but it's unlikely they under perform by a lot. Hall has 109 pts in his last 102 games at 21-22 y/o. If he puts up 95 pts next year they save a lot more than what they might lose on the other two.

Or I'm wrong and Katz won't sign a cheque for more than $6M per year. Kind of shuts you out of the top players in the league though.

#34 pelhem grenville
March 12 2014, 06:00AM
bazmagoo wrote:

So far in 2013-14

1st period - 50 goals for 71 against

2nd period - 48 goals for 73 against

3rd period - 61 goals for 63 against

What's the reason for the consistent slow starts?

...different goalies?

#35 Spydyr
March 12 2014, 08:02AM
bazmagoo wrote:

So far in 2013-14

1st period - 50 goals for 71 against

2nd period - 48 goals for 73 against

3rd period - 61 goals for 63 against

What's the reason for the consistent slow starts?

The team is tired from chopping wood,hauling water all day.

#36 CaptainLander
March 12 2014, 08:29AM

Looks as though the Oil should call up Lander and Hunt just for the PP, 3 PP point each last night.

#37 Ed in Edmonton
March 12 2014, 10:12AM
Doctor Smashy wrote:

I have been one of Ganger's critics, but yes he is playing better than earlier in the year.

#38 Ed in Edmonton
March 12 2014, 10:35AM
GriffCity wrote:

Always nice to come from behind and win. Honestly though, who's responsible for this power-play set up? Bubbles and Ricky? I have never seen such a poor PP in my life. Over this season I am sure that the chances against are near the same as the chances for while on the PP. Its a joke, and you know who I really like? Ray Ferraro. Guy calls it like it is and knows a lot about hockey. Guy played over 1,000 career games and was a pretty decent player in his time. Maybe he should be brought in to help the woeful Oilers. I just love how he calls a spade a spade though, said something like, "wakey wakey Oilers, this powerplay is embarrassing" and it is.

The lone bright spot for me last night was Fasth. The guy played lights out and could have easily had a shutout if it weren't for some poor defending on rebounds after a couple stellar first saves ( Marincin, Klefbom) and one really unlucky bounce that totally changed direction that no one could stop. Aside form that he was our best player and I have no complaints.

Ferraro is the best color guy in the game and I hope Rogers picks him up. Ideally to do the Oilers games, but that is probably too much too expect. Having said that, almost anyone would be better than captain obvious (AKA Louis DeBrusk).

#39 Cervantes
March 11 2014, 09:47PM
Retsinnab5 wrote:

Hey Eakins how's the impossible to defend PP doing?

The patented "Pass it through three sets of legs for a cross-crease tap-in"? As soon as we figure out how to get it through that third set of legs we'll be great.

Srsly though, the Oil have no plan of attack at evens and it's becoming hard to watch. They get the puck in the corner and then sit there going "what do I do now?". No plan for getting point shots, shooters in the slot, cross crease passes, or anything. They pass it around and maybe cycle a little bit. Everyone kinda hangs around on one side of the ice (not too close together mind you, or you wouldn't get to be outmanned on every puck battle), fiddle with it for a bit, and then a weak shot or deflection goes to the other side , and there isn't an Oiler within 20 feet.

Eakins is fine for defensive play, but the Mighty Oil Typhoon needs an experienced NHL coach for offensive/PP plays. There can be no doubt.

#40 Rip van Winkle
March 11 2014, 10:02PM
Retsinnab5 wrote:

Hey Eakins how's the impossible to defend PP doing?

In all fairness, it is impossible to defend when you are always rushing up ice on a 2 on 1 whilst penalty killing

#41 Oiltown3000
March 11 2014, 10:28PM

I'm trying to imagine the Oilers young guns with some veteran help and defense.

#43 Eulers
March 11 2014, 10:47PM

double post, i guess.

#44 Mason Storm
March 11 2014, 10:47PM
baggedmilk wrote:

One day, my friend. One day.

I think the Oilers are just waiting for the young guns to be the veteran players. That's how a team ends up in year 6 of the 3 year plan.

#45 Taylor Gang
March 12 2014, 12:32AM
Zarny wrote:

What makes you think EDM wants to break the 6M dollar threshold?

#46 @Oilanderp
March 12 2014, 01:10AM
nuge2nail wrote:

Oiler Domination To Follow

You need to learn how to read.

I also said the Defense is the next issue that needs to be addressed.

How is that any different than what you just said?

#47 Rdubb
March 12 2014, 07:48AM
Cervantes wrote:

Jason Gregor harps on this every 2nd day, Edmonton MUST start practicing offensive stuff instead of just practicing in the d-zone, and that doesn't include PP, which NEEDS plenty of help too... Gregor always say, and I agree 100% that Edmonton needs to practice @ both ends of the ice. They need to practice like they play, and if someone gets a bloody nose, so-be-it!!! The harder they practice the better they'll play... Although Fraser isn't a 3/4 d-man, maybe not even a 5/6, he still goes hard in practice and pushes the kids around, this way they'll know how it feels, and what to do in games. Being lackadaisical during practice doesn't help anyone, it only hurts... who have been our best players this season? Perron-learned to practice from another team Gordon-same as above Hendricks-same as above The Prof-same as the above Ference-same as the above What does this say? All of our best players have come from other teams and haven't been "home grown", why is that? An organizational thing? who knows, but I know what it looks like to me when I take the time to look from a different angle... Peck

#48 Tikkanese
March 12 2014, 10:17AM
Taylor Gang wrote:

Amazed at how nervous he looked every time the puck came near him? Hopefully that was a one-off game.

#49 Tikkanese
March 12 2014, 10:50AM
Ed in Edmonton wrote:

Although it is not much to pick from, Debrusk is the best member of the trio of:

- Gene "Even my hair is a pun" Principe

- Kevin "I thought every hat-trick was a natural hat-trick" Quinn

- Louie "hahaha oh Kevin" Debrusk

Dream team would be Emerick from NBC and Ferraro.

#50 Oiler Al
March 12 2014, 11:37AM
Dave wrote:

@Doctor Smashey

To me he seems lost out there.

I would say that the last coupled of games he has played better, more battle along the boards , but still making dumb passes.

Lets see how he plays here on in, after the old Cookie crunch last night. Lets hope Sam doesnt turtle after that big hit.