March 14 2014 08:36PM
It was the second game of the back to back and the Oilers ended up stealing a point. Final Score: 2-1 Detroit.
If ever there was a winnable game against Detroit it was this one. To say the Red Wings were depleted by injuries would be an understatement. They're not even close to having a healthy roster. The Wings were missing Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Darren Helm, Stephen Weiss but the Oilers struggled to get anything done. Luckily, the Red Wings weren't able to get much done either.
Serious question... Was anyone else tempted to nap during this one? At times, I felt like my world was in slow motion. Even curling fans were judging the slowness. That being said, the Oilers were in the 2nd game of a back to back. Everyone looked 5-day-bender-exhausted but no one quit and you have to appreciate that. Despite the fatigue, the Oilers kept plugging away and managed to tie things up, in the 3rd period, on a beauty goal from Ryan Smyth. Overtime solved nothing and the only goal in the shoot out came on a filthy move by Tomas Tatar. Not a perfect game by any means, but an overall solid effort from a tired Oilers team.
Let's wrap this thing up...
The Bright Side
- Viktor Fasth we speak your name
- Smytty Snipe
- We are the best at not scoring first!
- Anton Lander's facial hair reminds me of a pirate
- Oscar Klefbom seems to be settling in nicely
- Less than 50 total shots! By that I mean both teams, not just against the Oilers!
The Face Palmers
- Empty seat night in Detroit?
- Taylor Hall was getting knocked around all night
- The Power Play cannot put it together
- Jesse Joensuu hurt himself by trying to kick the puck
- Tomas Tatar deked us all out in the shoot out
Best of the Tweets
For the first time in years, the Oilers have a goaltending tandem that isn't a complete gong show. In fact, Scrivens and Fasth have given the Oilers more chances to win, in their short tenure, than they had from any of the goalies that rotated through the first 3 months of the season. To celebrate, we've created the 99 Problems Nation Tee as a salute to Ben Scrivens and Viktor Fasth. If you like it, get it now, because these are only on sale through the weekend.