MACT'S WORST MOVES, YEAR ONE

Lowetide
March 14 2014 09:00PM

mact common7

This is the bookend article to "MacT's Best Moves" which moved earlier in the week. Despite an overhaul in most areas, the results are the same for these Edmonton Oilers. A summer in the lottery is unacceptable and yet here we are. Which move was the worst?

DALLAS, DALLAS HE'S OUR MAN!

eakins common33

Hiring Dallas Eakins looked like a good idea at the time. The young Oilers would get a young coach dedicated to structure and discipline. The Ralph Krueger love-in was replaced by accountability and rigorous conditioning. And yet, we are one year in and hearing about practices being more intense in other markets, were are watching what has to be the worst power play in the history of organized anything, and the absolute downturn in the careers of a few sublime hockey talents.

Who on earth would do that to themselves on purpose?

"IF YOU HAVE TO ASK THE QUESTION"

dubnyk common1

Devan Dubnyk worked himself into a starting role with the Edmonton Oilers and cashed in under the Tambellini regime. New GM Craig MacTavish said last spring "Devan, the verdict is out on Devan. I've always believed that when you're assessing goaltenders, if you have to ask the question you know the answer."

MacTavish hired Jason LaBarbera to back him up and it became a major story in the Oilers freefall into the second division.

SMELLS LIKE TEAM SPIRIT!

Gazdic, Luke


As chronicled by Jason Strudwick earlier today at ON, the Oilers appear to be having team issues. If Struds article is true, then the Oilers are in more hell than a little bit. I have no way of knowing, and won't presume to know, but Strudwick was part of that group not so long ago.

D-FENSE!

smid common

The bottom line here is that Edmonton has not improved defensively this season. At the starting gate, the club had Ference, Smid and Nick Schultz as the veterans, and will end the season with only Ference and a group of kids plus fringe players. Tonight, Edmonton's defense was horribly inexperienced and bleeding chances is a nightly scene. This is not acceptable.

WHAT WAS THAT?

airplane flyby

Which is it? Goalie? The defense? The coach? The lack of support? The Edmonton Oilers have a plethora of candidates during the last year.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
Lowetide has been one of the Oilogosphere's shining lights for over a century. You can check him out here at OilersNation and at lowetide.ca. He is also the host of Lowdown with Lowetide weekday mornings 10-noon on Team 1260.
Avatar
#151 Ari Gold
March 15 2014, 07:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
27
cheers
Bucknuck wrote:

I can't get over everyone slamming Eakins. LIke they slammed Kreuger, and Renney, and Quinn, and MacT. Do you see a friggin pattern here!?

The problem is the players, not the coach.

Making Yak accountable while not making Ebs.

Consistently playing this 1-3-1 PP.

The fiasco swarm defense.

The hot air he blew up all of our a$$es at the season's start about hard work on defense.

Eakins has done a lot bad, and not much good. Stop looking at trends and look at the actual evidence.

Avatar
#152 Rod from Viking
March 15 2014, 07:12PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
admiralmark wrote:

I just can't see how one can honestly come to that conclusion based on 1 year of him in that GM seat. He has had to follow what possibly has been previously one of the worst GM's in NHL history in Tambellini. The utter disaster of a team. The value of almost all players has diminished making it even harder to make deals out there. I'm not saying that he might not be the best choice or good choice as GM. But wouldn't you at least give the guy 2 years to start moving this in teh right direction based on where he's had to start the process?

Yes and he will need 3-4 to get this team competitive in the Pacific division.

Avatar
#153 Mustangheart
March 15 2014, 07:23PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
dougtheslug wrote:

Perron was maybe one of St. Louis top 9 forwards. He is currently the 25th ranked scorer in the NHL. The fact he is leading Oilers in scoring says more about the Oilers deplorable depth (after 6 top ten picks in the last 8 years, including 3 number one overall), and the regression in their stars' development than it says about MacT's brilliance.

Be careful with small sample sizes. Scrivens had a good run. But his save percentage over his last 2 games is .885. I'd wait a minute or 2 before crowing about that trade. Next year at this time, a third round pick might just as easily look like a steal for LA.

Saying MacT made a poor selection in hiring Eakins is kind of like saying the Titanic had a "poor" maiden voyage.

The culture of the team is currently at the lowest ebb in 35 years. I am not holding my breath .

I think the body language of the coaches standing behind the bench speaks for itself. They have lost the team.

Avatar
#154 oilers
March 15 2014, 07:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
nuge2nail wrote:

Oiler Domination To Follow

So if MacT traded Yakupov for Myers at the beggining of the season and Yak turned into the next Stamkos and Myers bust- what would the reaction have been?

In hindsight seems like its a good move but after Yaks rookie season that's a risk no GM would have taken.

Give MacT a break - he braught in 3 young talented players on good contracts who have been amazing... All in his first season as GM..

Let him shape the team this offseason, sign some Ufa's and use the 40+ mil in cap space he created before we all crucify the guy...His first draft pick Nurse hasn't even played an NHL game yet.

Any other GMs add 3 young talented cheap contracts this year? Two of which could be up for team MVP...

One may lead the team in scoring(Perron) and the other lead the league in save percentage(Scrivens).

What other 29 GMS out there made similar moves?

What other 29 gas are in 2nd last place.

See post 81 about NHL GARBAGE.

Great post and summary of Oilers problems.

Agree with post 81. All others management needs to be replaced. Remember mac t hired Eakins. Krueger was a huge huge asset for team Canada.

Avatar
#155 Dan
March 15 2014, 07:29PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

I never was a total believer in Dubnyk, but the start of this season wasn't very easy on him. Combined with the worst defense in the league and our rookie AHL coach swarm system, he was facing 5x more grade A scoring chances a night. Not to mention his usual one or two softies he normally let in. But to be fair this was the perfect storm not many mediocre goalies in the league could have overcome.

Avatar
#156 Batfink
March 15 2014, 07:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
21
cheers
Bucknuck wrote:

I can't get over everyone slamming Eakins. LIke they slammed Kreuger, and Renney, and Quinn, and MacT. Do you see a friggin pattern here!?

The problem is the players, not the coach.

Bucky, I posted this in an article earlier last month to Gregor. He didn't reply, but I got a lot of props and no trashes. The point is this:

Your assumption that the team needs continuity in coaching is correct. However, the flaw in your thinking is that each coach hired must, de facto, be better than the last one, 'cos he got fired, right? Wrong. It is statistically possible to hire five bad coaches in a row. It is possible that Renney was the coach we need now. It is possible that Eakins will be a good NHL coach for a different team. But here's the thing; just because four coaches were fired before him shouldn't make Eakins immune to criticism or censure. Just like most people in their everyday jobs, results do that.

Avatar
#157 oilers
March 15 2014, 07:36PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
18
cheers
Still Hoping wrote:

I really, really, want the Oilers to be a hockey team again.

However, there are some facts we need to realize and not hold onto old hopes and glories.

The facts are:

1) The worst team in the NHL over the past 14 years, coinciding with Kevin Lowe's arrival on the scene.

2) The majority of what Lowe has done includes Mac T. They are joined at the Hip. They are a team.

3) As was quoted from a friend of mine who works in the NHL, will not give any more information. "The Oilers are a recycle plant for all the NHL garbage. This is well known in the NHL and there is no respect for the management of that team."

4) The major sports industry magazine in North America voted the Oilers the worst managed team of all major professional sports teams (NHL, NBA, NFL, Soccer, Baseball).

So, here are the facts. There are two things to consider getting free agents to Edmonton. The most obvious, the players. Second, their agents, which are equally important because they want to protect their financial assets.

The agents, who make their lifelong paycheck from advising and negotiating for players that play an average of 3 to 5 years in the league are well seasoned in the "business".

So, If the agents look at the Oilers. They want to maximize the economics of the player, but also the future value of their asset. This includes development, and the "winning" factor which will affect future negotiations.

Because of the Oilers recent 14 year record. The agents look at the Oilers as the "team of last resort" in their recommendations to their players. If two teams are bidding for a player with equal money. Do you go to a winning team or the Oilers if you are an agent? That is easy.

The only way to correct the problem is a culture and leadership change within the Oilers organization so a "fresh slate" can be developed with the players and agents.

This will not be accomplished with Lowe, Mac T, Smith, Buchburger et al.

We need a complete change, otherwise the NHL recycle team for NHL garbage will continue to be very good at what it has been for 14 years. Losing.

Everyone read this post.

Someone is using their brain instead of emotion.

I agree. Facts are facts.

Oilers need a change in culture to get the trust of players back. Only way to do this is replace the current structure. When Lowe and Burke were fighting over Penner. Burke made a comment. It is on YouTube. Kevin Lowe is so bad he will drive edmonton into the basement and wreck the team for years. Burke may not be a great manager either, but he was right about Lowe.

Avatar
#158 admiralmark
March 15 2014, 07:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Bucknuck wrote:

I agree. Tambellini was a disaster. It was going to take more than one year to clear the decks and right the ship.

They've been looking a lot better now that they have some goaltending. Thanks MacT. Now have a look at that Defense, would ya?

I agree he needs to get a 1st pairing D this off season. Even if its a 33 year old ok 1st pairing D on a slight overpay. It HAS to be done or we will be looking at another lottery pick 1 year from now.

Avatar
#159 Serious Gord
March 15 2014, 08:12PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
nuge2nail wrote:

Oiler Domination To Follow

Tambellini is the reason we are in 29th not MacT.

No other teams leading scorer was acquired for a 4th liner and 2nd round pick.

No other team has acquired the league leader in save percentage for a 3rd round pick.

He made a poor selection in hiring Eakins, but the teams playing better of late. If MacT keeps changing the culture of this team piece by piece the Oilers will finally turn the ship around.

The blame splashes over onto MacT. Admit it.

Avatar
#160 Serious Gord
March 15 2014, 08:15PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Walter Sobchak wrote:

Ya, you stole my thunder about Scrivens, small sample sizes kill. The only thing we do know for sure is that SV % has to come down.

How does he(MacTavish) get the pieces he need and maintianing the talent that cost the Oilers so dearly?

I don't see it happening next year or the year after, the Oilers just don't have the players to dangle.

I’ve been trashed a lot for this but I trade that pick, I also trade Peron, it’s the only two pieces that the Oilers have that anyone wants.

To me, it’s easier finding a RW then it is to get a defensemen.

Agree on all counts. But that likely will get you more, not fewer trashes.

Avatar
#161 Serious Gord
March 15 2014, 08:21PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Ari Gold wrote:

Perron, great trade.

Gags, terrible value.

Ference, terrible value.

Gordon, good signing, slight overpay.

Scribbles, good trade.

Fasth, good trade.

Hendricks, not bad.

Smid trade, good return for a bad contract.

Dubnyk dumb, good.

Labarb dump, good.

Schultz Sr. trade, good.

Hemsky trade, tough market, ended up being Hemmer for Fasth. I'm satisfied.

Nuge signing, too early. After this year, I wonder whether not he would've selected less.

Eakins, disaster. The Oil need to divorce themselves from this arrangement, pronto.

MacT's tenure, questionable. He's done a lot of good, but some serious bad to match.

You forget what he didnt do - dump dubnyk and trade gagner are two things.

Hendricks and the two backup goalies have been acquired far too recently to pass judgement.

Avatar
#162 Mustangheart
March 15 2014, 08:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Rod from Viking wrote:

Darryl Sutter, he will be retiring after this contract with LA, Brian is way to old school for today's NHL but is excellent with senior men's hockey, if you meant Brent by all means but they didn't even talk to him at any time. If Brent would agree to an assistant position with the understanding if Eakins gets let go he would be the replacement he may do that, for the other assistant everyone says that former Lightning coach Guy Boucher had an awesome powerplay and this team sure doesn't under our journeyman 4th liner head coach.

Yes, sorry I did mean Brent. A tough hard noised coach who has experience and knows how to motivate / discipline his team to perform every night. The last three Oiler coaches I have seen them all to soft. Just look at LA, Chicago, SJ, Anaheim coaches. All experienced kick ass coaches.

With the Oiler ticket prices being the 5th highest in the league. the Oilers fans deserve better than this.

Avatar
#163 Rick Stroppel
March 15 2014, 08:37PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

A CONSTRUCTIVE SUGGESTION RE EAKINS

In "Animal House", Dean Wormer put Delta on double-secret probation.

The Alberta PC Party just put Alison Redford on double-secret probation.

The Oilers should put Eakins on double-secret probation.

"One more mistake, one more slip-up, and you're FINISHED at Faber!"

Avatar
#164 Bucknuck
March 15 2014, 08:39PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Batfink wrote:

Bucky, I posted this in an article earlier last month to Gregor. He didn't reply, but I got a lot of props and no trashes. The point is this:

Your assumption that the team needs continuity in coaching is correct. However, the flaw in your thinking is that each coach hired must, de facto, be better than the last one, 'cos he got fired, right? Wrong. It is statistically possible to hire five bad coaches in a row. It is possible that Renney was the coach we need now. It is possible that Eakins will be a good NHL coach for a different team. But here's the thing; just because four coaches were fired before him shouldn't make Eakins immune to criticism or censure. Just like most people in their everyday jobs, results do that.

Basically anyone who says "the team sucks and everyone responsible should be fired" gets props right now. If someone says something positive they get trashed. As fans we are all pissed off and sick of waiting. I get it.

I also haven't liked his handling of Arcobello, or Yakupov, or the stinky powerplay. And why the hell can't he put the kid line back together. WTF. I get it.

But I also see a team that has been winning more than it has been losing lately. A team playing .500 hockey since the halfway point of the season. I've seen Yakupov (finally) showing some defensive acumen, and getting time on the first line as a result.

So if the team is playing better as the season goes on and the games are getting harder, could some of that be because of the coach? Goaltending has to account for a lot of it, but if you use that reason for all the winning, then you have to point at that for all the losing earlier on. You can't have it both ways.

If this team closed out the last half of the season winning more games than they lose, then I don't see how you can justify getting rid of Eakins.

Avatar
#165 Serious Gord
March 15 2014, 08:48PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Dan wrote:

I never was a total believer in Dubnyk, but the start of this season wasn't very easy on him. Combined with the worst defense in the league and our rookie AHL coach swarm system, he was facing 5x more grade A scoring chances a night. Not to mention his usual one or two softies he normally let in. But to be fair this was the perfect storm not many mediocre goalies in the league could have overcome.

There is some strength in your argument until you look and see that Nashville waived his ass. He is not a starting or even second string goalie on pretty much every other team in the league. MacT was wrong to think he would work - it is safe to say that he undervalues the need for a top flight goalie - as does Lowe and Katz.

Avatar
#166 Serious Gord
March 15 2014, 08:54PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

@Bucknuck

"...But I also see a team that has been winning more than it has been losing lately. A team playing .500 hockey since the halfway point of the season...."

Let's see how they do the rest of the season. I'm putting them at 4 and 12.

Avatar
#167 admiralmark
March 15 2014, 08:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Bucknuck wrote:

Basically anyone who says "the team sucks and everyone responsible should be fired" gets props right now. If someone says something positive they get trashed. As fans we are all pissed off and sick of waiting. I get it.

I also haven't liked his handling of Arcobello, or Yakupov, or the stinky powerplay. And why the hell can't he put the kid line back together. WTF. I get it.

But I also see a team that has been winning more than it has been losing lately. A team playing .500 hockey since the halfway point of the season. I've seen Yakupov (finally) showing some defensive acumen, and getting time on the first line as a result.

So if the team is playing better as the season goes on and the games are getting harder, could some of that be because of the coach? Goaltending has to account for a lot of it, but if you use that reason for all the winning, then you have to point at that for all the losing earlier on. You can't have it both ways.

If this team closed out the last half of the season winning more games than they lose, then I don't see how you can justify getting rid of Eakins.

I think your statement is valid. I think this will happen naturally as the goalies cannot sustain their save percentage. So either the team sustains .500 hockey by playing better. Or as the save percentage comes back to earth the losses start piling up. They have a very difficult last 10 so we shall see in that regard.

I don't think it matters however in regards to Eakins. My guess is there will be 1 or 2 changes to assistant coaches and Eakins will be given next year to turn thsi around. If 1/2 way through next season this continues maybe he's gone then? Admittedly a lot of that is guesswork but i just don't think MacT et al are ready to turn in the towel on his choice as head coach.

Avatar
#168 Bucknuck
March 15 2014, 09:08PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

"...But I also see a team that has been winning more than it has been losing lately. A team playing .500 hockey since the halfway point of the season...."

Let's see how they do the rest of the season. I'm putting them at 4 and 12.

If that is how they finish, then I might just hop on the "blame the coach" bandwagon. But I don't think so.

Eakins has made me shake my head more than a few times this season, but after going 4-14-2 in their first twenty, they've actually been mediocre the rest of the way (19-22-7), which is a big improvement from crappy a$$ poor, which we have seen for seven years.

They have 14 games left, and I figure they'll go 6-6-2.

We'll see.

Avatar
#169 Bucknuck
March 15 2014, 09:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
admiralmark wrote:

I think your statement is valid. I think this will happen naturally as the goalies cannot sustain their save percentage. So either the team sustains .500 hockey by playing better. Or as the save percentage comes back to earth the losses start piling up. They have a very difficult last 10 so we shall see in that regard.

I don't think it matters however in regards to Eakins. My guess is there will be 1 or 2 changes to assistant coaches and Eakins will be given next year to turn thsi around. If 1/2 way through next season this continues maybe he's gone then? Admittedly a lot of that is guesswork but i just don't think MacT et al are ready to turn in the towel on his choice as head coach.

If they get some help on Defense, and the team is still losing more than it's winning by Christmas, Eakins should be packing his bags.

Avatar
#170 admiralmark
March 15 2014, 09:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Bucknuck wrote:

If they get some help on Defense, and the team is still losing more than it's winning by Christmas, Eakins should be packing his bags.

Agreed.

Avatar
#171 Serious Gord
March 15 2014, 09:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Bucknuck wrote:

If they get some help on Defense, and the team is still losing more than it's winning by Christmas, Eakins should be packing his bags.

Better be more than just Eakins...

Avatar
#172 Walter Sobchak
March 15 2014, 11:00PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Bucknuck wrote:

Basically anyone who says "the team sucks and everyone responsible should be fired" gets props right now. If someone says something positive they get trashed. As fans we are all pissed off and sick of waiting. I get it.

I also haven't liked his handling of Arcobello, or Yakupov, or the stinky powerplay. And why the hell can't he put the kid line back together. WTF. I get it.

But I also see a team that has been winning more than it has been losing lately. A team playing .500 hockey since the halfway point of the season. I've seen Yakupov (finally) showing some defensive acumen, and getting time on the first line as a result.

So if the team is playing better as the season goes on and the games are getting harder, could some of that be because of the coach? Goaltending has to account for a lot of it, but if you use that reason for all the winning, then you have to point at that for all the losing earlier on. You can't have it both ways.

If this team closed out the last half of the season winning more games than they lose, then I don't see how you can justify getting rid of Eakins.

I agreed with some of that but basically the Oilers winning streak here is smoke and mirrors a whole lot of luck and wicked goaltending.

The Oilers are bucking the trend here, outshot, out played, PP is a train wreck, players arguing with each other, it's a cluster but for some reason the Oilers have won.

I can't see how you keep a coach that regressed a team and most of its players in almost every category.

In Eakins case there was no where else to go but up, doesn't mean because they had a better winning percentage in the last half that it was actually a resectable winning percentage, just better then the first half.

Avatar
#173 Anton (still waiting for playoffs)
March 15 2014, 11:26PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Walter Sobchak wrote:

I agreed with some of that but basically the Oilers winning streak here is smoke and mirrors a whole lot of luck and wicked goaltending.

The Oilers are bucking the trend here, outshot, out played, PP is a train wreck, players arguing with each other, it's a cluster but for some reason the Oilers have won.

I can't see how you keep a coach that regressed a team and most of its players in almost every category.

In Eakins case there was no where else to go but up, doesn't mean because they had a better winning percentage in the last half that it was actually a resectable winning percentage, just better then the first half.

The recent respectful record maybe the result that players tune Eakins off and start playing their own game.

Avatar
#174 Ari Gold
March 15 2014, 11:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

You forget what he didnt do - dump dubnyk and trade gagner are two things.

Hendricks and the two backup goalies have been acquired far too recently to pass judgement.

100% agreed.

Hendricks is a total moot point.

Goalie situation was too little too late but this lineup wasn't going to win anything anyway.

Gags' contract shouldn't have existed in the first place. I'd have in on the team at $3mil. He only needs to be traded now that he's not only ineffective and unfordable.

Avatar
#175 **
March 15 2014, 11:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Rick Stroppel wrote:

A CONSTRUCTIVE SUGGESTION RE EAKINS

In "Animal House", Dean Wormer put Delta on double-secret probation.

The Alberta PC Party just put Alison Redford on double-secret probation.

The Oilers should put Eakins on double-secret probation.

"One more mistake, one more slip-up, and you're FINISHED at Faber!"

Careful now, he might end up banging your wife at a party.

Avatar
#176 Bryzarro World
March 15 2014, 11:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
oilers wrote:

Everyone read this post.

Someone is using their brain instead of emotion.

I agree. Facts are facts.

Oilers need a change in culture to get the trust of players back. Only way to do this is replace the current structure. When Lowe and Burke were fighting over Penner. Burke made a comment. It is on YouTube. Kevin Lowe is so bad he will drive edmonton into the basement and wreck the team for years. Burke may not be a great manager either, but he was right about Lowe.

Gregor can't wrap his head around this idea....

Avatar
#177 bazmagoo
March 16 2014, 12:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Batfink wrote:

Bucky, I posted this in an article earlier last month to Gregor. He didn't reply, but I got a lot of props and no trashes. The point is this:

Your assumption that the team needs continuity in coaching is correct. However, the flaw in your thinking is that each coach hired must, de facto, be better than the last one, 'cos he got fired, right? Wrong. It is statistically possible to hire five bad coaches in a row. It is possible that Renney was the coach we need now. It is possible that Eakins will be a good NHL coach for a different team. But here's the thing; just because four coaches were fired before him shouldn't make Eakins immune to criticism or censure. Just like most people in their everyday jobs, results do that.

I plan on stealing this post for a future post of my own, just an fyi. Very well written and explained exquisitely.

Avatar
#178 Anton (still waiting for playoffs)
March 16 2014, 12:27AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Bryzarro World wrote:

Gregor can't wrap his head around this idea....

Even Burke wasn’t crazy enough to promote Eakins.

Avatar
#179 bazmagoo
March 16 2014, 12:35AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

Well if there is ever a concern about what it takes to win, you know who to talk with. Someone mentioned this in the comments, but I think Brian Burke's comments have proven to be 100% accurate. Fire Lowe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yztuw7CJdbw

Avatar
#180 BLAKPOO
March 16 2014, 01:28AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

I object to the picture of Luke Gazdic in the "Team Issues" section of this article. I hardly think the only guy that stands up for everyone is the problem.

Avatar
#181 Anton (still waiting for playoffs)
March 16 2014, 04:27AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The boldest move that MacT can do during draft day is by shipping the top pick away. Ideally, trade it to Nashville for Roman Josi and lower pick. Preds are so jam-packed on blueline that they have so few forwards. With lower pick that Oilers can still select the beast RW Nick Ritchie (6'3",230 lbs!!!).

Avatar
#182 gcw_rocks
March 16 2014, 08:00AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

I am surprised MacT's riverboat gambling isn't on the list.

He bet that there were real NHL players amongst Acton, Joensuu, Hamilton, Grebeshkov, Belov, Larsen, and the coming off injury Jones. For this session to be a success at least three of those had to play well above there established level of success and contribute in as meaningful rule in the NHL.

That is completely nuts.

Avatar
#183 Rod from Viking
March 16 2014, 08:01AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

@Serious Gord

Mac T did try as soon as he was hired to upgrade the goal tending and unfortunately for everyone Gillis's camp let it leak out at the draft. I am wondering what "top flight" goaltender would sign as a free agent here or wouldn't have Edmonton on his NT list. The only way for this team to get great goaltenders is the way he is trying that is taking a chance with unproven ones with sound fundamentals that were not going to get the opportunity to be a #1 where they were playing.

Avatar
#184 Lando
March 16 2014, 08:04AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

Is there a precedent for 2 of 3 1st overall picks being busts? ( Nuge and Yak ). You have to wonder if it was just bad luck to get the 1st pick in their draft years or if the inept management has forever ruined these young talents. Only Hall has looked anything like an elite player in the NHL. Ekblad please!!!!

Avatar
#185 Rod from Viking
March 16 2014, 08:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
BLAKPOO wrote:

I object to the picture of Luke Gazdic in the "Team Issues" section of this article. I hardly think the only guy that stands up for everyone is the problem.

I agree with you completely,I am so tired of the "stats" crew spending so much time and negative print on role players that know their role instead of the real problems of coaching and a team that has been built to not succeed by overpaying high draft picks that except for one named Taylor tries to earn his paycheck.

Avatar
#186 Bryzarro World
March 16 2014, 08:24AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Anton (still waiting for playoffs) wrote:

Even Burke wasn’t crazy enough to promote Eakins.

I freaking hated Burke but he was right. Kblowe is a moron.

Burke would be a supreme upgrade to our bunch of douche bags...

Avatar
#187 dougtheslug
March 16 2014, 09:26AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Bucknuck wrote:

They sucked at drafting for many years (what I wouldn't give for a 2003 do-over), but it's been a lot better since the McGregor took over.

Pajaarvi wasn't a bust, and he yielded us Perron who is the leading goal scorer on the team. Not sure you could call him "next to nothing". Marincin was a second rounder, he seems to be a real player.

Lander, Chase, Nurse, Pitlick, Yakimov, Moroz, Simpson, Musil, Klefbom: all of these players could have NHL careers. all were taken outside the lottery. It looks like they have turned a bit of a corner.

For every Subban there are 29 Taylor Chorneys.

Spoken like a true fan.

Also spoken like a member of KLowe's front office dream team.

Chase, Nurse, Moroz and Simpson have never played a game of pro hockey. Yakimov and Mucil are miles away from the bigs. Lander and Pitlick have yet to show anything at the NHL level. The Jury is out on Klefbom.

In other words, a pile of magic beans that for the most part, haven't even been planted. And most likely, other than maybe Klefbom (who was a first rounder, 19th overall) and Nurse (number 7 overall) they will be lucky to have a career like Taylor Chorney's (61 NHL games)

Paajarvi, a top ten pick 5 years ago, has evolved into a part time fourth line winger on a real hockey team. I don't know how you define bust, but that fits my description pretty well.

Avatar
#188 Rod from Viking
March 16 2014, 09:35AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

@dougtheslug

Did I hear right on Friday, did Hitchcock say Paajarvi is turning into an Evander Kane type? Does this mean we are soon to see a picture of him with a big stack of money?

Avatar
#189 gcw_rocks
March 16 2014, 03:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
admiralmark wrote:

I just can't see how one can honestly come to that conclusion based on 1 year of him in that GM seat. He has had to follow what possibly has been previously one of the worst GM's in NHL history in Tambellini. The utter disaster of a team. The value of almost all players has diminished making it even harder to make deals out there. I'm not saying that he might not be the best choice or good choice as GM. But wouldn't you at least give the guy 2 years to start moving this in teh right direction based on where he's had to start the process?

There is sufficient evidence already. Let's review:

Eakins, Steve Smith, Buchburger, Chabot, Will Acton, Joensuu, Hamilton, Hunt, Grebeshkov, Ference contract, Hendricks contract, Gazdic, McIntyre, losing Rajala, Clarkson contact offer, counting on Belov to play NHL minutes, Labarbera, to get started.

How much damage does he have to do before we say "enough"?

Avatar
#190 2015Playoffs?Nope!
March 17 2014, 10:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

How about the fact that we started the year with one legitimate NHL centerman in Boyd Gordon. Gagner and RNH were injured, and Lander was and still is unproven.

The fact that we didnt start the year with depth at center past a 3rd line center (at his best) is also unacceptable.

That, along with the worst defense ever assembled in professional hockey, and a goaltending tandem that couldnt stop a beach-ball, it was obvious from day one that we would be a lottery team.

Its why i gave up my season tickets before game 1 of the season. And this summer will determine if i get rid of them for good.

Comments are closed for this article.