GDB Wrap Up: Sabres @ Oilers

baggedmilk
March 20 2014 10:18PM

image

Luckily no one gets relegated in the NHL. Final score: 3-1 Sabres

There is nothing that will fire up the Nation more than a 29th vs 30th place battle! Not so long ago (only 8 years *sigh*) I remember sitting at the bar with some buddies and trying to decide who I'd rather the Oilers play in the finals, Carolina or Buffalo. Fast forward to tonight and neither team have anything to play for except draft picks and spoiler statuses. A Sabres/Oilers game has all the allure of milking a tiger, and that is a sad state of affairs.

The Buffalo Sabres are a terrible hockey team. There were periods in this game where the Sabres looked like they would never win another hockey game - the suck knob has been broken clean off in Buffalo. With that being said, our suck knob has been broken for years. Even though there were stints (short ones) where the Oilers dominated the hockey game, they lost to the FUNKIN' SABRES!  Losing to the Sabres is 10 shades of awful, yet we managed to accomplish it with all the style of a jalapeno shart.

Let's wrap this thing up...

The Bright Side

• Ben Scrivens will stop pucks and break faces if he needs to
  • Justin Schultz has apparently learned about slap shots
  • Lots of AHLers got NHL pay cheques
  • The Power Play actually looked like an actual Power Play

The Face Palmers

• Losing to the Sabres should result in 50 lashes and not the sexy kind either
  • The safe word for Oilers name is the sound of weeping adults
  • The shorthanded 2 on 1s are almost comical at this point
  • Getting booed because you lost to the Sabres is bad news
  • Ales Hemsky may have scored the goal of the year *sigh*

Best of the Tweets

Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 7.27.09 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 8.04.37 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 8.17.48 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 8.21.16 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 8.28.08 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 8.43.53 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 9.41.42 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 9.46.44 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 9.50.07 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 10.09.21 PM

94ea28cbbd0f9fe4153692bb3e38b40c
Twitter tyrant for @OilersNation - Resident Jackass - Poor vessel for carrying milk. Follow me on twitter (@jsbmbaggedmilk) - Instagram (@himynameisbaggedmilk) or email me at baggedmilk@oilersnation.com.
#151 Spydyr
March 21 2014, 03:11PM
ColourMeImpressed wrote:

Regardless of the merit of cheerleaders in the first place, let's consider two things:

1. First of all, most of us would have one of those girls on our arms in our dreams. Yes, they're not Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders, but neither are they women you feel compelled to look away from.

2. They're not the product on the ice, they're not earning millions of dollars, and they're not actually what we're angry with. If we have to heap scorn on someone, can we please do it on someone who has an effect on the game and can go home and wipe the tears away with hundred dollar bills?

I don't mean to white knight or whatever, but I just don't feel like picking on young girls earning pennies, for whom this will be the highlight of their lives is cool.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Relax have a drink or three.

1)Speak for yourself not most of us.

2)I have heaped scorn on the on ice product so many times it is old.

On your last point perhaps if they paid the young girls more then pennies the um talent might improve. Like everything "The Braintrust" touches it is done ineffectively.They are not a good judge of talent on or off the ice.

#152 hagargt
March 21 2014, 03:19PM

@ColourMeImpressed

Ugly people need love too!! Besides, it might be a little contradictory to have smokin hot cheerleaders for our team.. they should probably be pot bellied snaggle tooths, that instead of dancing, just stand there and give the fans an eakins like stare during the breaks.

#153 Jamin
March 21 2014, 03:42PM
Randy wrote:

Watching the game it looked like it was going to be an easy win for the Oilers. Something happened

A puck got stuck in the netting during the 3rd period. These guys were hitting the glass trying to shake it loose to give to a little girl like 5 or 6ish. Perron sees it gives a half hearted attempt to free the puck and skates away. Erhoff sees this comes over and spends the entire tv timeout shaking the glass until the puck came loose. I said to my brother watch this now with the good karma on buffalo they are gonna score. Like a minute later score, a few minutes after that score again and Oilers wre never really in the offensive zone for the rest of the period

#154 2015Playoffs?Nope!
March 21 2014, 03:58PM
** wrote:

To everyone bashing the cheerleaders, yes, they might not be Dallas cowboys cheerleaders, but come on people!, what's next? bashing on the snow shovelers for not skating hard enough?

I know we're all frustrated, but this is getting ridiculous.

Well, they could work harder... one of them did fall at the game last night... and had trouble getting up.

poor guy got laughed at... almost as much as the Oilers did at the end of the game

#155 2015Playoffs?Nope!
March 21 2014, 04:12PM
Jamin wrote:

thats awesome! I love good stories like that. We all know that the Mighty Oil are lonely and lost... no heart at all... and no identity right now. And that wont change unfortunately.

#156 TheresAlwaysNextYear
March 21 2014, 04:22PM

The odds are always against the Oilers when it comes to breaking streaks. LOL. I can't remember the numerous amount of times where a team on a losing streak would snap it against the Oilers. Or also the amount of times a player on a long scoreless slump ends it against the Oilers. Talk about a stepping stone...

#157 2015Playoffs?Nope!
March 21 2014, 04:30PM

Well we sure helped Giroux out of his slump. He came into Edmonton, finally scored a goal and has been on a league-wide tare since.

Thats what the oilers are around for... to make others feel better about themselves.

#158 ThatButthurtOilersFan
March 21 2014, 04:36PM
Jordan Nugent-Hallkins wrote:

After Nashville's comments about Dubnyk, I think one of the best things the Oilers could do is replacing the goalie coach. I don't want Chabot anywhere near Scrivens.

I know I'm going to get trashed for this but I don't care.

Got a buddy who works with the Oilers organization. From what he heard, which may or may not be true, Barry Trotz was telling the reporter that Dubnyk wasn't very confident, and they were going to work on that. The reporter made to make a story out of nothing and make our goalie coach look bad. Trotz then personally apologized to Chabot later in the year.

#159 M22
March 21 2014, 05:47PM
RexHolez wrote:

if you hired me to build you a house because I burnt down the one you were already living in, and 4 long years later while im finally starting to frame the foundation collapses, how long will you give me until you look for another contractor?

Depends. In this scenario, are our names Kevin and Daryl?

#160 BobbyCanuck
March 21 2014, 07:16PM
majin_oil wrote:

Your comment doesn't even make freaken sense!!

First of all, Nashville is a younger team than Edmonton, secondly the Octane are awful on ALL levels.

Of course "Tandra" is seared into your memory! Want to know why... cause she's hot!!! (and probably cause you spent some after hours on google with her based on your comment).

Name me 1 octane girl off the top of your head... exactly

I did forget to address one thing majin_oil

You say that Nashville is a younger team, I will take your word for that, but let me explain

Boy = someone that only thinks about there personal needs, displays mental and emotional immaturity. A 30 yr old could fit this description, just as easily as a 18 yr old

Man = someone that will stand up for what is right, someone who will protect/help/fight for the weak and the unfortunate, someone that will carry the fair share of the load, and then some.

Boy = 28 yr old living at home, not paying bills, not helping around the house

Man = 18 yr old going to high school, working part time to help his folks pay the bills, doing any choirs required

I hope these two examples will help you understand that the difference between men and boys has very little do do with physical age

#161 Still Hoping
March 21 2014, 07:23PM

I really, really, want the Oilers to be a hockey team again.

However, there are some facts we need to realize and not hold onto old hopes and glories.

The facts are:

1) The worst team in the NHL over the past 14 years, coinciding with Kevin Lowe's arrival on the scene.

2) The majority of what Lowe has done includes Mac T. They are joined at the Hip. They are a team.

3) As was quoted from a friend of mine who works in the NHL, will not give any more information. "The Oilers are a recycle plant for all the NHL garbage. This is well known in the NHL and there is no respect for the management of that team."

4) The major sports industry magazine in North America voted the Oilers the worst managed team of all major professional sports teams (NHL, NBA, NFL, Soccer, Baseball).

So, here are the facts. There are two things to consider getting free agents to Edmonton. The most obvious, the players. Second, their agents, which are equally important because they want to protect their financial assets.

The agents, who make their lifelong paycheck from advising and negotiating for players that play an average of 3 to 5 years in the league are well seasoned in the "business".

So, If the agents look at the Oilers. They want to maximize the economics of the player, but also the future value of their asset. This includes development, and the "winning" factor which will affect future negotiations.

Because of the Oilers recent 14 year record. The agents look at the Oilers as the "team of last resort" in their recommendations to their players. If two teams are bidding for a player with equal money. Do you go to a winning team or the Oilers if you are an agent? That is easy.

The only way to correct the problem is a culture and leadership change within the Oilers organization so a "fresh slate" can be developed with the players and agents.

This will not be accomplished with Lowe, Mac T, Smith, Buchburger et al.

We need a complete change, otherwise the NHL recycle team for NHL garbage will continue to be very good at what it has been for 14 years. Losing.

#162 hagargt
March 21 2014, 08:59PM

@Still Hoping

Your post takes too much effort. It's a flat tire, and the oilers have an endless supply of corner store "fix flat" cans. If anyone wants I will load up my bbq, meet you all at the head office, and grill until the cops make us leave. My only request to keep the hobos away is that everyone needs to bring a slanderous picket sign. I haven't even started drinking yet, and it's a genuine offer.

#163 God
March 21 2014, 09:39PM
** wrote:

I know we're all frustrated, but this is getting ridiculous.

Goodness the lack of pride of this fan base. I'm embarrassed.

Those cheerleaders are not even in the same universe as the caliber of a professional sports team.

Comparing them to the Cowboys cheerleaders is valid. The same goes for any other professional sports team. The fact that they've taken some attractiveness affirmative action plan to the team screams bush-league. It's pathetic.

Stop defending what shouldn't be defended. This entire organization has no integrity. Ownership all the way down to the cheer team.

#164 hagargt
March 21 2014, 09:58PM

I will take ten people and up until I need to spend more than 500 bucks. After that Point, it's 3 bucks a burger. Let's do something guys. The news will show up for sure. Stop being sick of your voices not being heard. Anyone with a fire kevin low sign is in. We don't need to do some gay "love in" oops, I am not supposed to say "gay". I am putting up 500 bucks in food for anyone that can commit to stopping by to throw a collective middle finger.

#165 kboof
March 21 2014, 10:49PM

Eakins will be gone very soon, this team will not win with him at the helm.

#166 hagargt
March 21 2014, 11:44PM

Grow some balls and quit being a bunch of Internet babies. I gave up my golds two years ago.. sucks I might miss out on the 2023 re-build, but oh well.

This entire site is full of people that thrive on in-action.

And yes... I am a little insulated nobody wants to join my bbq. ahahhhaha. Fk it anways.

#167 hagargt
March 22 2014, 12:11AM

Serious Gord, email me at hagargt@hotmail.com if you have a kid that wants to watch a game. I refuse to forget how much fun pro hockey is for the little guys. Trolls don't need to waste their time emailing me for tickets. If I get more than one from a guy named Gord, I will simply throw in some verification peramiters. It won't be hard to do.

#168 hagargt
March 22 2014, 12:50AM

One single trash it on my last 3 posts including the one where I obligated to buy a little kid a ticket.. I can guarantee that you have a horrible life. You might think that things just random happen bad to you... I would bet a lot, that your favorite phrase is "Fk my life"

#169 jj