You've Got Questions? We've Got Bloggers...

baggedmilk
March 20 2014 10:24AM

Blogger

We're doing a weekly mailbag and it's your time to get Internet famous.

My job at the Nation is to make sure that you guys are a part of the content that gets produced here. Some of the best stuff I've ever read on this website showed up in the comments and I think you should get credit for it. Starting now, we're looking for your Oilers/NHL related (or not) questions and all the writers are at your disposal. Each week, I'll be talking 5 questions and sending them off to be answered. When your question is posted, I'll also link it up to your Twitter/Instagram to help you rise to Internet superstardom.

You ever wonder what Robin Brownlee wears while he blogs? Send it in. You want to know what Jason Gregor smells like? Send it. (It's magic by the way). You want to know who Lowetide would pick in this year's draft? He's got you covered. You want to know what the hell a Corsi is? Jonathan Willis will learn you good. Your questions will be answered by as many of the writers as are around, so you'll get a variety of perspectives. If your question doesn't show up on a given week, don't worry about it, we'll get to you. Frankly, I've already gotten more submissions than I expected.

To submit a question (or 10), email it to me at baggedmilk@oilersnation.com or hit me up on Twitter - be sure to include your Twitter handle if you want it up there. As an added bonus, I'll send Nation Stickers to each person that submits a legitimate question. GO!

94ea28cbbd0f9fe4153692bb3e38b40c
Twitter tyrant for @OilersNation - Resident Jackass - Poor vessel for carrying milk. Follow me on twitter (@jsbmbaggedmilk) - Instagram (@himynameisbaggedmilk) or email me at baggedmilk@oilersnation.com.
#51 Boys on the Short Bus
March 20 2014, 04:08PM
vetinari wrote:

Now that the Oilers have fired a coach once via Skype, what other forums or mediums would you use to fire the next coach, if it came to it? By changing the Oilers' Facebook status to "it's complicated"? By Twitter (really, would you need more than 140 characters)? Pinterest photograph with the new coach holding up an Oilers jersey?

Also, instead of having Katz and his curly haired son stand beside our next first round draft pick in June, who should be there instead?

Maybe the coach could put a bag over his head and pull it off just before puck drop. Like Harold Ballard wanted Roger Neilson to when he was rehired with the Maple Laughs. I also like "it's complicated relationship status"

My question does Katz have a line on any pharmaceuticals that will help me forget the last eight years of losing and embarrassment ?

#52 mesa
March 20 2014, 05:11PM
Serious Gord wrote:

Glenn Anderson never played on the first line his entire nhl career and had mark messier as his centerman.

1129 games 498 goals 1099 points.

Theoren fleury played first line almost his entire career and had no one nearly as good as messier at center.

1084 games 488 goals 1088 points.

How come Anderson is in the HHOF and fleury isn't?

cz hockey God does not want him there .or any God for that matter

#53 Serious Gord
March 20 2014, 05:23PM
mesa wrote:

cz hockey God does not want him there .or any God for that matter

I'm an atheist.

#54 Jason Gregor
March 20 2014, 05:25PM
Serious Gord wrote:

1129 games 498 goals 1099 points.

1084 games 488 goals 1088 points.

How come Anderson is in the HHOF and fleury isn't?

You admit Anderson wasn't on first line but produced more than a guy who played first line and was on the first unit PP more than Anderson was.

Anderson on other teams was a first liner, but with Gretzky and Kurri he and Messier were 2nd line. That is why they won 5 Cups and Fleury's team won 1. They had more depth.

Fleury should be in the Hall of Fame, but saying he was better than Anderson because he was a first liner on an inferior team might not be best way to show that. Fleury is deserving of being in the Hall without bashing or comparing him to Anderson. Anderson took a long time to get in becuase some people didn't like him personally, and Fleury is likely in the same boat.

#55 Gored 1970
March 20 2014, 05:33PM
Shredder wrote:

I love Smytty, but I'm with you, I don't think he goes to the rafters. Lowe had a more notable career than Smyth. Smyth was the lone bright spot in 2 decades of the worst hockey the Oilers ever played, with the exception of the time with Isls/Avs/Kings. There have been a few playoff apperances, and 2006 did so much more for this franchise than any other year...but that was more on Pronger than Smyth. He's heart and soul, but he's not Hall of Fame, and he's not rafters. He's sacrificed a lot of blood and guts over the years, and I appreciate it, but he's not a leader of the team.

Retiring jerseys has become a cheap back door way for teams to generate publicity. A player that deserves to have his jersey retired comes along about every 20 years. A few oilers from the dynasty deserve to have that honour but Smyrh hasn't won anything, never an award winner or perennial all-star. Retiring his Jersey will only cheapen the honour bestowed on the others. If teams want to honour long term commitment to the team or community, start a wall of fame and have the player enshrined there. Retiring Jerseys should be saved for the truly special players

#56 SammyD
March 20 2014, 06:43PM
Gored 1970 wrote:

So who goes on the Wall of Fame at the new Arena and what do we use to represent them? A player is easy - go with their number - 94/4/39/27... But what about the non-players who are also deserving?

Glen Sather gets a big stogie? Paul Lorieau gets a microphone? Joey Moss gets a hockey stick?

#57 hagargt
March 20 2014, 07:04PM

Why is the trash it or props it selection for the articles so close to the page selection numbers? I would wager I click "trash it" by accident at least half the times I try to change pages. I guess I turned this opportunity for questions into a feedback, but oh well.

#58 Serious Gord
March 20 2014, 09:59PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

Second line means you play weaker competition. And Anderson played first line pp. Fleury played against the best the other team had. And for several years he was the best player on his team and thus a bigger target. Andersen was able to fly under the radar by comparison.

Fleury was a much better - more complete player.

As for HHOF - Andersen is in because he's a Fog. Had he played on a less prominent team he never would have gotten a sniff. I'm not denigrating him as a player - I'm denigrating the HHOF and the people who put him in there and those who supported putting him in there.

Far too many middling players get in while superstars like lindros are shunned. Disgraceful.

#59 Rdubb
March 21 2014, 08:23AM

For all the writers on the site: Who would you choose @ this years draft, & why? Even if Edm gets the #1 pick...

Personally, I'd take one of the big skilled C's over the D, reason being that as I have said before, and as has everyone else, it takes so long for D to develop and it is generally easier to trade for one by using assets and such. A good group of scouts can scour the AHL and find the "next" guy, and trade for him. Not to mention that Edm has a few good guys coming up in the near future. Also, @ this time, we just do not have the veteran leadership on the backend to help out a young up and comer, heck, look how hard it is for our current lot of D men including Petry... Next year our d-corps will have Ference, Petry, MM, Schultz & Nurse. Now add in a trade or signing & even Klefbom and we are all full, but we need a Big skilled C who can play on the 1st or 2nd line. I think it'd be much easier for MacT to get D over the C. Plus, the scouts can draft a whack of good young D in the later rounds, sign one out of college as we did with Schultz and we'll be okay on the back-end, especially with now having the Prof and Fasth in net... Just my thoughts Peck