BOA Round 214: Flames at Oilers

Ryan Pike
March 22 2014 03:10PM

Ladies and gentlemen, tonight is the fifth meeting of the season (and 214th meeting overall) between the Calgary Flames and the Edmonton Oilers. It's their last meeting until next season, too. I'd say the season series is up for grabs, as each team has won twice - the road team always won - but the Flames needed overtime in both wins at Rexall. The Flames need a win to tie the season series in terms of points earned.

That's about as far as this game goes in terms of "significance."

Calgary has 63 points and 12 games left. Edmonton has 59 points and 11 games left. The gap can close considerably with an Edmonton win, while a Calgary win probably cements their draft placement.

THE HOME TEAM

It goes without saying that it's been a disappointing year in Edmonton. I don't think they spent time and money bringing in Dallas Eakins to lead the club to 29th place. The Oilers lost two nights ago to Buffalo, but have been playing solid lately, winning five of their last 10.

Lines, via Daily Faceoff:

Hall - Gagner - Perron
Lander - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle
Hendricks - Gordon - Pitlick
Gazdic - Smyth - Jones

Ference - Schultz
Marincin - Petry
Klefbom - Fraser

Fasth

Viktor Fasth gets his first Battle of Alberta start. He was 2-0-0 with a shutout in two games against the Flames while with Anaheim.

The Oilers obviously have some skilled players (that top line, that second line) and are starting to figure out the "depth role player" riddle. That third line is actually pretty solid. But the defense is a bit dodgy, so you can figure out why they are in the general area that they are, standings-wise.

Oddly, Edmonton has the edge on Calgary on the power-play, the penalty kill and in five-on-five goal differential. How come Calgary's higher in the standings? Probably because Calgary's gotten some big contributions from their back-end (Giordano & Brodie, primarily) and some from their depth guys, while Edmonton remains top-heavy.

But if they can ever build something around that top group, wowzers. Granted, we've been saying this for years, but the Oilers could be scary-good if the guys building the team had a plan besides "draft high."

THE ROAD TEAM

The Flames are smarting a bit after last night. On one hand, they scored five goals! On the other, they gave up six. To Nashville, who rarely scores. Yikes.

Lines, via Daily Faceoff:

Cammalleri - Backlund - Byron
Glencross - Stajan - Hudler
Agostino - Monahan - Bouma
Westgarth - Colborne - McGrattan

Giordano - Brodie
Butler - Russell
Smid - Wotherspoon

Ramo

Karri Ramo returns after being out since before the Olympics with an MCL sprain. Joni Ortio returns to the AHL and Joey MacDonald is the back-up for the rest of the year.

Now that they're getting healthy, the Flames are rapidly beginning to resemble an NHL team. Kenny Agostino makes his Battle of Alberta debut after making his NHL debut last night, playing 12:40 in the loss to the Preds. Returning to the line-up is Kevin Westgarth - slotting in for T.J. Galiardi on the bottom line - and God, I hope Westgarth doesn't try to fight Gazdic again.

The Flames have also won five of their last ten games, so they're about as "hot" as the Edmonton Oilers right now.

SUM IT UP

It's a late-season game between two teams that are well out of the playoff picture! The best each club can hope for some emotion in this tilt, as each group tries to gain some momentum to close out the year.

Let's hope that this time next season, these games have a little bit more significance in the standings, because hockey's better when the Flames and Oilers are both doing well and Alberta is a place visiting teams fear to tread.

51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
Now in his third full season covering the Calgary Flames and the NHL, Ryan Pike is a Calgary native and FlamesNation's managing editor. He's trying to keep his head up, his stick on the ice and is giving it 110% every shift. You can also find his work at The Hockey Writers, the Wrestling Observer and Tough Talk MMA.
Avatar
#201 Gk1980
March 22 2014, 09:46PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

Wow, just wow. Can someone give me an ETA when these guys decide not to suck anymore? They come put with an amazing powerplay then they just disappear? What's going on with this team?

Avatar
#202 -30-
March 22 2014, 09:46PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
21
cheers

See Eberle get in there to protect Lander? He went behind Lander and hid. LOL

Avatar
#203 Chuck Knuckles
March 22 2014, 09:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

@Johnnydapunk

TRADE THEM ALL.

Avatar
#204 If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin
March 22 2014, 09:47PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
42
cheers

I can`t believe our rebuild is already ahead of the Oilers.

Avatar
#205 -30-
March 22 2014, 09:48PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
30
cheers

Come to The Rack on Whyte tonight where you can tell the young Oilers how great they are. They'll be there right at midnight. Can't let a loss stand in the way of a fun night.

Avatar
#206 Serious Gord
March 22 2014, 09:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
19
cheers
RKD wrote:

Wow, Gio and Cammy have been beasts tonight. If Gio passes Hudler for the leading scorer on the team it will be the first time in Flames franchise history that a defenceman has done that. Gio is one of the better captains in the league, I think the best Canadian one too. Better than Dion 'Princess' Phaneuf who left the ice as Paul Ranger was being stretchered off. Better than Henrik 'Softie' Sedin, better than Jason 'Turnover Machine' Spezza, better than Andrew 'Cheapshot artist' Ference. Nominate this guy for the Norris.

Not the best defenseman in the league but IMO the the most MVP for his team in the league. Great player.

Avatar
#207 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
March 22 2014, 09:48PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Rockmorton65 wrote:

Ha ha! That's your argument? Because he could beat me up, he's tough? That's not hard to do. I'm a lover, not a fighter.

BTW, Westgarth took a minor for roughing on the play. Had Gazik grown a pair, it would have been even up.

My logic stands up. If you fight, take off the visor, or pop the strap and let the first punch knock it off. There ARE ways around most rules. You don't have to hide behind them. Well, Gadzik does.

My argument isn't that he's tough because he could beat you up, my argument is that he is required, by the rules of the league he plays in, to wear a visor. Stop saying 'if he fights, take his visor off', because he's literally not allowed.

I mentioned the fact that he would whoop you, because you called him a wuss. If he's a wuss and he could take you apart, what does that make you?

Avatar
#208 Loweblows
March 22 2014, 09:48PM
Trash it!
18
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers
kevin wrote:

Gio now has 43 points in what 53 games and is a plus 10 on a poor team..maybe I'm being a homer here but I feel he should be atlest a finalist for the norris

Am I on the flames nation site? I give a rats a$$ about any flame. FIRE EAKINS!

Avatar
#209 Travis
March 22 2014, 09:48PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Paul Byron has kids???? What?

Avatar
#210 kale
March 22 2014, 09:48PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
17
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

Saw the isolation on TV of Eakins chewing halls ass.

Fifty - fifty he demands a trade this summer if this keeps up.

I suspect with MacT's ego Hall's request for a trade is the only way MacTs hand will be forced to fire Eakins

Avatar
#211 Bringbackslats
March 22 2014, 09:48PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
20
cheers

Oh look a scrum at the end of the period with everyone in there except... Jeff Petry. What a p&%%$ Can't wait till they purge him so I won't have to here from everyone about how good his corsi numbers are.

Avatar
#212 RexHolez
March 22 2014, 09:50PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
23
cheers

the worst part about being an oiler fan is watching this highly skilled team have to play in such a run down building! thank god Edmonton tax payers are spending 500million for a new rink. This team deserves it!

Avatar
#213 Smythyyy
March 22 2014, 09:50PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
24
cheers

Eakins is such a loser! I don't think any of the players want to play for this guy (maybe except Fraser and Hamilton). I'd like to be a fly on the wall to hear what Hall was saying.

Avatar
#214 Boo!
March 22 2014, 09:51PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

About Petry, when you're engaged in the game you don't think twice about getting in the scrum.

Petry is more interested in skating around the rink tonight than playing hockey.

Avatar
#215 beloch
March 22 2014, 09:51PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

Why did we trade him? I forget.

He (Glencross) walked as a UFA.

Avatar
#216 Jackson
March 22 2014, 09:51PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

C'mon Oiler fans they are playing against a great team.

Avatar
#217 Serious Gord
March 22 2014, 09:51PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
kale wrote:

Did I just hear Stauffer right? Smith's services will no longer be required and there is a press onference on monday?

Which smith? Do you mean Ryan Smyth?

Avatar
#218 frantiskovy@msn.com
March 22 2014, 09:52PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

Dallas and Taylor bear having a widdle argument about how to pway hockey. Worst thing I have seen all season. Nadir thy name is Oilers.

Avatar
#219 admiralmark
March 22 2014, 09:52PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

At least now everyone around here can stop worrying so much about catching the Flames in the standings. 2nd or 3rd pick overall this year!

Avatar
#220 Quintana
March 22 2014, 09:52PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin wrote:

I can`t believe our rebuild is already ahead of the Oilers.

But you guys are retooling, right?

Avatar
#221 Fresh Mess
March 22 2014, 09:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
29
cheers
If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin wrote:

I can`t believe our rebuild is already ahead of the Oilers.

I can. Next year the Sabres rebuild will be ahead of the Oilers too.

Avatar
#222 kale
March 22 2014, 09:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

Which smith? Do you mean Ryan Smyth?

no coach Smith, it was quick so I am not sure

Avatar
#223 -30-
March 22 2014, 09:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

Two out of three aint bad.

The Rush and Oil Kings are playing great.

Avatar
#224 Jackson
March 22 2014, 09:53PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
17
cheers

If i,ma free agent last place I would come is Edmonton. The top draft picks are saying please don't draft me please.

Avatar
#225 Ivan Drago
March 22 2014, 09:54PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Jeffff wrote:

Could you imagine if a playoff team took Edmonton seriously. Oilers are truly an AHL team. Oilers points are inflated because no one takes them seriously.

Your an idiot. The oilers suck, that's obvious, but suggesting teams don't try hard against them is just dumb. No one wants to lose to the worst team in the league, so to avoid that embarrassment, to pad stats for contracts, and to ensure they get 2 points against lesser teams in a bid for home ice advantage in the playoffs, Im 100% positive all playoff bound teams take 82 games seriously. Your comments on this site are just as pathetic as the oilers.

Avatar
#226 Lober
March 22 2014, 09:55PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
24
cheers

Thank you Flames now i get to talk **** about how garbage the oilers are the whole off season again!!!!! Forever rebuilding!

Avatar
#227 RexHolez
March 22 2014, 09:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
kale wrote:

no coach Smith, it was quick so I am not sure

3 years too late

Avatar
#228 Harlie
March 22 2014, 09:55PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

I hate you Eakins for telling Hall off!!

I respect you Eakins for telling Hall off!

Saw off!!??

Avatar
#229 Serious Gord
March 22 2014, 09:55PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
kale wrote:

I suspect with MacT's ego Hall's request for a trade is the only way MacTs hand will be forced to fire Eakins

Jesus I hope so. Even better if Lowe backed Eakins and Katz fires all three (one can hope)

Avatar
#230 hall the time
March 22 2014, 09:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

You know how I know the oilers aren't a real hockey team all there penalties are by accident. I haven't seen a real trip in years.

Avatar
#231 Jeffff
March 22 2014, 09:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Ivan Drago wrote:

Your an idiot. The oilers suck, that's obvious, but suggesting teams don't try hard against them is just dumb. No one wants to lose to the worst team in the league, so to avoid that embarrassment, to pad stats for contracts, and to ensure they get 2 points against lesser teams in a bid for home ice advantage in the playoffs, Im 100% positive all playoff bound teams take 82 games seriously. Your comments on this site are just as pathetic as the oilers.

They don't bring their A game. 82 game season is a long season.

Avatar
#232 vetinari
March 22 2014, 09:56PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers
frantiskovy@msn.com wrote:

Dallas and Taylor bear having a widdle argument about how to pway hockey. Worst thing I have seen all season. Nadir thy name is Oilers.

Buddy... you may not want to use your email address as your name when you are trying to trash talk on an open website... I'm sure no one will use it to sign you up for a lifetime's supply of viagra or anything like that... but c'mon... use a little sense and cut back on the beers before posting...

Avatar
#233 Sevenseven
March 22 2014, 09:57PM
Trash it!
35
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers

Flames fans be a trollin. But hey, im happy for you guys. After the flooding this summer you guys deserve some good luck. It musta been tough getting all the water outta the saddledome with only 1 cup.

Avatar
#234 Rod from Viking
March 22 2014, 09:58PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Bringbackslats wrote:

Oh look a scrum at the end of the period with everyone in there except... Jeff Petry. What a p&%%$ Can't wait till they purge him so I won't have to here from everyone about how good his corsi numbers are.

He didn't want the face off with no time left to come out side the blue line,good grief I can't defend him anymore he is not a team player.

Avatar
#235 Serious Gord
March 22 2014, 09:59PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers

My son is a 'canes fan. Just proposed to him we trade hall and eberle and Shultz to them for stall, ward and skinner. He said no.

Maybe if we threw gagner in (he LOLed!!).

Avatar
#236 Jackson
March 22 2014, 09:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Jeffff wrote:

They don't bring their A game. 82 game season is a long season.

Obviously Drago you have never played competitive hockey. With 82 games it is hard to get up for certain games. You don't want to lose but a team like LA plays harder against SJ than Edmonton. It is reality

Avatar
#237 Rod from Viking
March 22 2014, 10:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
-30- wrote:

Two out of three aint bad.

The Rush and Oil Kings are playing great.

Don't forget the U of A hockey team.

Avatar
#238 Emir
March 22 2014, 10:01PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
37
cheers
Sevenseven wrote:

Flames fans be a trollin. But hey, im happy for you guys. After the flooding this summer you guys deserve some good luck. It musta been tough getting all the water outta the saddledome with only 1 cup.

One cup was rough work so the flames contracted the oilers top 6 to suck it all out

Avatar
#239 quintana
March 22 2014, 10:03PM
Trash it!
17
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Emir wrote:

One cup was rough work so the flames contracted the oilers top 6 to suck it all out

No but hey we can help you guys with the 5 cups we got.

Avatar
#240 Serious Gord
March 22 2014, 10:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
kale wrote:

no coach Smith, it was quick so I am not sure

Ryan should make it a double header presser. They both played together. Thelma and Louise baby!!

Avatar
#241 Sevenseven
March 22 2014, 10:05PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Emir wrote:

One cup was rough work so the flames contracted the oilers top 6 to suck it all out

Lol top six defense or forwards? We got a horrible team. Just wait till we hire Brent Sutter as bench boss to turn this team around. What a beautiful day that will be, a sutter coaching the oilers to glory....

Avatar
#242 BobbyO
March 22 2014, 10:06PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers
Jordan Nugent-Hallkins wrote:

My argument isn't that he's tough because he could beat you up, my argument is that he is required, by the rules of the league he plays in, to wear a visor. Stop saying 'if he fights, take his visor off', because he's literally not allowed.

I mentioned the fact that he would whoop you, because you called him a wuss. If he's a wuss and he could take you apart, what does that make you?

Hey Jordan-Nugent Hallkins...what kind of a guy are you? Have you ever scrapped even as a little kid? Have you ever played hockey? If a man wants to fight you with his hands and you have a weapon do you drop your weapon and fight him like a MAN??

...or do you take out the rule book and read it out to him....

Avatar
#243 Jackson
March 22 2014, 10:07PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

Watergate

Avatar
#244 Serious Gord
March 22 2014, 10:07PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
Sevenseven wrote:

Lol top six defense or forwards? We got a horrible team. Just wait till we hire Brent Sutter as bench boss to turn this team around. What a beautiful day that will be, a sutter coaching the oilers to glory....

No chance sutter works under Lowe.

Avatar
#245 James
March 22 2014, 10:07PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
24
cheers

So Hall decides to throw a water bottle down the bench and gets water all over Eakins, which causes the spat. Methinks Taylor needs to grow up a bit, though Eakins threw a towel so you know...

Avatar
#246 Burnward
March 22 2014, 10:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

You guys ever discussed J. Schultz moving to forward?

Avatar
#247 Rob F
March 22 2014, 10:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

My son is a 'canes fan. Just proposed to him we trade hall and eberle and Shultz to them for stall, ward and skinner. He said no.

Maybe if we threw gagner in (he LOLed!!).

Hey smart kid......congratulations your kid is more qualified than Klowe to be President of Hockey ops for the Oilers

Avatar
#248 Serious Gord
March 22 2014, 10:09PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
19
cheers

Wow - just wow. Eakins is pissed at hall for accidentally spraying him with water?

If he doesn't apologize at the post game presser he should be fired. I'm being serious.

Avatar
#249 Sevenseven
March 22 2014, 10:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

No chance sutter works under Lowe.

He wants an NHL job and katz has deep pockets. You are right probably wont happen, I just really hope it does.

Good luck in your guys rebuild. Im sure they are only 3 years away from a Stanley cup.

Avatar
#250 Gk1980
March 22 2014, 10:10PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

I'm gonna say it. RNH is NOT a first line centre I'm the NHL. Maybe in junior but not here. Sad reality.

Comments are closed for this article.