BOA Round 214: Flames at Oilers

Ryan Pike
March 22 2014 03:10PM

Ladies and gentlemen, tonight is the fifth meeting of the season (and 214th meeting overall) between the Calgary Flames and the Edmonton Oilers. It's their last meeting until next season, too. I'd say the season series is up for grabs, as each team has won twice - the road team always won - but the Flames needed overtime in both wins at Rexall. The Flames need a win to tie the season series in terms of points earned.

That's about as far as this game goes in terms of "significance."

Calgary has 63 points and 12 games left. Edmonton has 59 points and 11 games left. The gap can close considerably with an Edmonton win, while a Calgary win probably cements their draft placement.

THE HOME TEAM

It goes without saying that it's been a disappointing year in Edmonton. I don't think they spent time and money bringing in Dallas Eakins to lead the club to 29th place. The Oilers lost two nights ago to Buffalo, but have been playing solid lately, winning five of their last 10.

Lines, via Daily Faceoff:

Hall - Gagner - Perron
Lander - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle
Hendricks - Gordon - Pitlick
Gazdic - Smyth - Jones

Ference - Schultz
Marincin - Petry
Klefbom - Fraser

Fasth

Viktor Fasth gets his first Battle of Alberta start. He was 2-0-0 with a shutout in two games against the Flames while with Anaheim.

The Oilers obviously have some skilled players (that top line, that second line) and are starting to figure out the "depth role player" riddle. That third line is actually pretty solid. But the defense is a bit dodgy, so you can figure out why they are in the general area that they are, standings-wise.

Oddly, Edmonton has the edge on Calgary on the power-play, the penalty kill and in five-on-five goal differential. How come Calgary's higher in the standings? Probably because Calgary's gotten some big contributions from their back-end (Giordano & Brodie, primarily) and some from their depth guys, while Edmonton remains top-heavy.

But if they can ever build something around that top group, wowzers. Granted, we've been saying this for years, but the Oilers could be scary-good if the guys building the team had a plan besides "draft high."

THE ROAD TEAM

The Flames are smarting a bit after last night. On one hand, they scored five goals! On the other, they gave up six. To Nashville, who rarely scores. Yikes.

Lines, via Daily Faceoff:

Cammalleri - Backlund - Byron
Glencross - Stajan - Hudler
Agostino - Monahan - Bouma
Westgarth - Colborne - McGrattan

Giordano - Brodie
Butler - Russell
Smid - Wotherspoon

Ramo

Karri Ramo returns after being out since before the Olympics with an MCL sprain. Joni Ortio returns to the AHL and Joey MacDonald is the back-up for the rest of the year.

Now that they're getting healthy, the Flames are rapidly beginning to resemble an NHL team. Kenny Agostino makes his Battle of Alberta debut after making his NHL debut last night, playing 12:40 in the loss to the Preds. Returning to the line-up is Kevin Westgarth - slotting in for T.J. Galiardi on the bottom line - and God, I hope Westgarth doesn't try to fight Gazdic again.

The Flames have also won five of their last ten games, so they're about as "hot" as the Edmonton Oilers right now.

SUM IT UP

It's a late-season game between two teams that are well out of the playoff picture! The best each club can hope for some emotion in this tilt, as each group tries to gain some momentum to close out the year.

Let's hope that this time next season, these games have a little bit more significance in the standings, because hockey's better when the Flames and Oilers are both doing well and Alberta is a place visiting teams fear to tread.

51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
Now in his third full season covering the Calgary Flames and the NHL, Ryan Pike is a Calgary native and FlamesNation's managing editor. He's trying to keep his head up, his stick on the ice and is giving it 110% every shift. You can also find his work at The Hockey Writers, the Wrestling Observer and Tough Talk MMA.
Avatar
#401 Quintana
March 23 2014, 12:40AM
Trash it!
24
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin wrote:

Call them what you want. They`re the same guys that handed your plethora of first-overall picks an a$$-whuppin tonight (in your own barn no less). Seriously, with fans like you that persistenly trump out the so-called glory years as a defense mechanism for all things hockey, I now get how Lowe and company repeatedly get away with incompetence.

So Stajan, Glencross, Hudler, Byron and Cammy are the new rebuilding for you guys..........26th place. pffffff

Avatar
#402 Ari Gold
March 23 2014, 12:41AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
50
cheers
Loweblows wrote:

The burning sensation you have is treatable with preparation h.

I'm embarrassed to call you a fellow Oiler fan. Tuck your tail between your legs and run. We just had our bums handed to us tonight. 8-1. There's no rebuttal.

Read the trash and take it.

Hats off, Flames fans.

The Edmonton Oilers should be relegated to the AHL.

Avatar
#403 gussey
March 23 2014, 01:56AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
20
cheers

Good work flames. Westgarth was a beast. Good on him to go back at gadzik. Taylor hall is a spoiled brat. I don't see anything to like about the oilers roster. A lot of soft heartlessness.

Avatar
#404 McRib
March 23 2014, 02:29AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
29
cheers

I'm a diehard Flames fan and have to say Oilers fans deserve a lot better than this!!! I have been to numerous games at Rexall and can only say one thing I have the upmost respect for Oilers fans!!! I love the rivalry that is the battle of Alberta as much as the next person, but always respect the other side regardless. As heated as it ever gets between the two sides class is alway shown. As a comparison don't even get me started on my hate for the Canucks (I wore a Canada Iginla Jersey during the Olympics in Vancouver and got spit on by TWO Canucks fans cheering for CANADA!)

Growing up in Calgary I hated playing minor hockey tournaments in Edmonton because honestly the local talent of your city is next to none and were always very tough to play against. Edmonton has always produced more NHLers than Calgary and I am okay with that what I am not okay is a goof like Dallas Eakins thinking he has a clue about real hockey. He called out Taylor Hall for getting water on him... are you kidding me?!?!?! He is more worried about feeding the media that follows the team healthy food than he is about coaching the players, he has lost the team completely. Instead of saying why are Oilers fans throwing sweaters on the ice and start to show some accountability he criticizes the fans that pay his paycheck....

Avatar
#405 Jeff In Lethbridge
March 23 2014, 07:04AM
Trash it!
14
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
Jordan Nugent-Hallkins wrote:

"If he's not allowed, then how are other tough guys in the league doing it?"

Are you... Are you serious? You really can't read, can you? I already explained the reason why he can't. The grandfather visor rule that was just put in place? The rule that says any player new to the league in 13/14 has to wear a visor? The fact that Gazdic WAS NEW TO THE LEAGUE IN 2013?

Here,let me give you bullet points, it's easier to digest:

-NHL/NHLPA agree any player entering the league in 13/14 and beyond must wear a visor

-Gazdic enters the league in 13/14

-Gazdic must wear a visor

Got it? I don't usually get mad at people on the internet, but the thought of you actually reproducing kind of pisses me off.

Don Cherry called it like it is, and 99.9% of oiler fans are just quiet about it causr they know its true and it stinks. then tbere is the .01% of the fan base - you - that sound like idiots trying to concont dome lame defense for an enforcer wearing a visor.

you say he has to wdar it.... but as cherry pointed out, he can take the helmet off before the fight... of course the other fighter would have to do the same to even out tbe penalties and he would, because they are 'honorable'.

sometimes you see smaller guys that wear visors who get caught in an unexpected fight who dont take it off but a guy like Gaz is a monstet and an enforcer and it is sick that he hides behind a visor and laughs at the other guy whose hand is all torn up.

if you havent noticed ill point it out to you. 99% of your fellow oiler fans are quiet... you should out of respect for them and for the sport join them and quit embarrasing everyone with such stupid arguments.

Avatar
#406 Loweblows
March 23 2014, 08:35AM
Trash it!
24
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Ari Gold wrote:

I'm embarrassed to call you a fellow Oiler fan. Tuck your tail between your legs and run. We just had our bums handed to us tonight. 8-1. There's no rebuttal.

Read the trash and take it.

Hats off, Flames fans.

The Edmonton Oilers should be relegated to the AHL.

Never will I submit to some flames fan taunt. I am ashamed to call you an oiler fan my friend.

Avatar
#407 Loweblows
March 23 2014, 08:39AM
Trash it!
19
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
BurningSensation wrote:

Coming from the guy blowing Kevin Lowe, I wouldn't make too many jokes

Your comeback makes no sense. Try again.

Avatar
#408 Rockmorton65
March 23 2014, 09:48AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers
Bringbackslats wrote:

Yes a hearty congrats to you. Beating the 2nd worst team in the league could only make a true flames chump feel like a champ. We won the last cup more recently than you, and we'll be vying for the cup before you do again.

Thanks for the laugh with my morning coffee.

Avatar
#409 BurningSensation
March 23 2014, 10:18AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
19
cheers
Loweblows wrote:

Your comeback makes no sense. Try again.

I understand you may not be thinking too clearly after last nights assault and battery, so I'll cheerfully explain;

Your name is 'Loweblows' as in 'blows of Lowe'.

But then a clever Oiler fan like you would have noticed the inbuilt double entendre.

Avatar
#410 Derzie
March 23 2014, 10:26AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Jordan Nugent-Hallkins wrote:

"If he's not allowed, then how are other tough guys in the league doing it?"

Are you... Are you serious? You really can't read, can you? I already explained the reason why he can't. The grandfather visor rule that was just put in place? The rule that says any player new to the league in 13/14 has to wear a visor? The fact that Gazdic WAS NEW TO THE LEAGUE IN 2013?

Here,let me give you bullet points, it's easier to digest:

-NHL/NHLPA agree any player entering the league in 13/14 and beyond must wear a visor

-Gazdic enters the league in 13/14

-Gazdic must wear a visor

Got it? I don't usually get mad at people on the internet, but the thought of you actually reproducing kind of pisses me off.

Ah Kreuger-icon, you do know fighting is against the rules too right?

Avatar
#411 Loweblows
March 23 2014, 10:36AM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
BurningSensation wrote:

I understand you may not be thinking too clearly after last nights assault and battery, so I'll cheerfully explain;

Your name is 'Loweblows' as in 'blows of Lowe'.

But then a clever Oiler fan like you would have noticed the inbuilt double entendre.

I understand my moniker completely. As intended my name implies exactly what it describes. Lowe blows. I wouldn't expect you to understand the double meaning of my words as in- low blows-ie hitting below the belt. In a comment last night you said this was your biggest moment in life since the flames won the cup. You must have a very sad and lonely life.

Avatar
#412 BurningSensation
March 23 2014, 10:50AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers
Loweblows wrote:

I understand my moniker completely. As intended my name implies exactly what it describes. Lowe blows. I wouldn't expect you to understand the double meaning of my words as in- low blows-ie hitting below the belt. In a comment last night you said this was your biggest moment in life since the flames won the cup. You must have a very sad and lonely life.

I actually said it was one of the biggest moments in my life as a FLAMES FAN (a decidedly small part of my overall 'Life').

As for the meaning of your moniker, you have three options;

- Kevn Lowe (and the Oilers) suck - Groin shots (what it is like to be an Oiler fan) - you like oral with Kevin Lowe

All of which I believe are appropriate after last night.

Avatar
#413 Loweblows
March 23 2014, 11:01AM
Trash it!
14
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
BurningSensation wrote:

I actually said it was one of the biggest moments in my life as a FLAMES FAN (a decidedly small part of my overall 'Life').

As for the meaning of your moniker, you have three options;

- Kevn Lowe (and the Oilers) suck - Groin shots (what it is like to be an Oiler fan) - you like oral with Kevin Lowe

All of which I believe are appropriate after last night.

When the Oil beat Calgary last year I for one did not go on the flames nation site to gloat. To do so would be an obvious admission that I am an insecure person that needs to insult other to feel good about myself. So what is it that makes you such an insecure person? Perhaps you have a few shortcomings?

Avatar
#414 BurningSensation
March 23 2014, 11:28AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers
Loweblows wrote:

When the Oil beat Calgary last year I for one did not go on the flames nation site to gloat. To do so would be an obvious admission that I am an insecure person that needs to insult other to feel good about myself. So what is it that makes you such an insecure person? Perhaps you have a few shortcomings?

You do know that BOA posts are cross-linked to both Oilers Nation AND Flames Nation, right?

And the 'shortcomings' line makes me laugh. As of last night every Flames fan measured their 8 inch erection against your flaccid 1 inch mushroom cap and found you laughably wanting.

Avatar
#415 loweblows
March 23 2014, 11:31AM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
BurningSensation wrote:

You do know that BOA posts are cross-linked to both Oilers Nation AND Flames Nation, right?

And the 'shortcomings' line makes me laugh. As of last night every Flames fan measured their 8 inch erection against your flaccid 1 inch mushroom cap and found you laughably wanting.

8 inches-that's it?

Avatar
#416 loweblows
March 23 2014, 11:35AM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
BurningSensation wrote:

You do know that BOA posts are cross-linked to both Oilers Nation AND Flames Nation, right?

And the 'shortcomings' line makes me laugh. As of last night every Flames fan measured their 8 inch erection against your flaccid 1 inch mushroom cap and found you laughably wanting.

Are you somehow managing to get post game measurements?

Avatar
#417 BurningSensation
March 23 2014, 11:38AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers
loweblows wrote:

Are you somehow managing to get post game measurements?

They were posted on the scoreboard.

Avatar
#418 loweblows
March 23 2014, 11:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

touché my fellow calgarian!

Avatar
#419 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
March 23 2014, 12:04PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

You guys can't let it go, huh? I was arguing with the guy because he kept saying Gazdic should take his visor off. He meant Gazdic should take his helmet off prior to fighting, I thought he meant Gazdic should remove the visor from his helmet and play without one, which he can't do. Shenanigans ensued.

Got it?

Avatar
#420 Jeff In Lethbridge
March 23 2014, 12:36PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Jordan Nugent-Hallkins wrote:

You guys can't let it go, huh? I was arguing with the guy because he kept saying Gazdic should take his visor off. He meant Gazdic should take his helmet off prior to fighting, I thought he meant Gazdic should remove the visor from his helmet and play without one, which he can't do. Shenanigans ensued.

Got it?

look who can't let it go! hahahaha

it's nobody else's fault that you made yourself look so stupid by insisting that he can't take his visor off, when everyone in the world new what he meant. Of course Gizdik can take it off. yes, the rules don't allow it, but the rules don't allow fighting either. are you really thiat bright, or just arguing cause your team is... well, you know...

For Gazdick, a giant of a man who is in his own right very tough, to start fights and then keep his helmet/visor on is pathetic. How are the other guys supposed to fight him??? As Cherry pointed out - guys CAN and DO take them off.

Any real hockey fan, regardless of the team they root for, would agree with Don Cherry on this one - very dishonorable... and we aren't talking one accidental event where the heat of the moment took over, we are talking of a huge man who is actively starting in or engaging in fights, who wears a shield every time.

You are going to defend that? if so, then you sir are the true example of blind homerism. of course, anyone who has had the painful opportunity of sharing a game day blog with you realizes this.

Even Wesgarth showed himself to be a real man, while Gazdick continued to show himself a tool. Just like his one supporter. (hint hint).

Avatar
#421 dw
March 23 2014, 12:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Primo wrote:

When do you hold the players accountable? Specifically the 1st overalls. They simply are not performing. HNIC showed 4 instances where Taylor Hall was dogging it on goals AGAINST.

Yes, I can see where another change of coaches will help!

I understand the idea of holding the players accountable, but isn't that the coaches job? If the players feel that they can gingerly skate back because they don't get their knuckles rapped for it, is that not a failing of the coach? The only real way to improve this team is for them to establish a culture within the team that makes it impossible for guys to take a shift off because they will hear about it or have their butt stapled to the bench for a while as a result. Adding guys like Hendricks and Gordon to the roster will go a long way towards this but if the coach does not hold the players feet to the fire it only goes so far. How many times through the year has Eberle, Hall, Gagner, etc looked invisible out there? I can't remember one time where one of those three sat for a period of time due to lack of performance, or there was any real implication for their perceived indifference, or at least it wasn't public. Is your solution to trade them all? Do you think you will get anything close to their actual value at this point? Do you think that course of action makes us better in the long run?

Avatar
#422 piscera.infada
March 23 2014, 03:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
dw wrote:

I understand the idea of holding the players accountable, but isn't that the coaches job? If the players feel that they can gingerly skate back because they don't get their knuckles rapped for it, is that not a failing of the coach? The only real way to improve this team is for them to establish a culture within the team that makes it impossible for guys to take a shift off because they will hear about it or have their butt stapled to the bench for a while as a result. Adding guys like Hendricks and Gordon to the roster will go a long way towards this but if the coach does not hold the players feet to the fire it only goes so far. How many times through the year has Eberle, Hall, Gagner, etc looked invisible out there? I can't remember one time where one of those three sat for a period of time due to lack of performance, or there was any real implication for their perceived indifference, or at least it wasn't public. Is your solution to trade them all? Do you think you will get anything close to their actual value at this point? Do you think that course of action makes us better in the long run?

Structural issue. When you lock up that "core" (Ebs, Hall, RNH) at 6 million each for the next 7 years, you're kind of stuck with them. Regardless of what you do, they are the de facto leadership on that team. You can bring in as many Smyth's or Ference's as you want, you can stitch or remove any letter you choose from their jersey, and they're still going to be the guys everyone will defer to. It's going to be tough sledding until those three buy in to something - you can't honestly tell me that the failed buy-in of that core is on the multitude of coaches they've let go season after season (there's one constant).

Avatar
#423 Jeff In Lethbridge
March 24 2014, 07:37AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Quintana wrote:

So Stajan, Glencross, Hudler, Byron and Cammy are the new rebuilding for you guys..........26th place. pffffff

I'm just astounded that an Oilers fan would mock the Flames rebuild because there remains a few useful veterans.... no rebuttal required!

Hahahaha

Comments are closed for this article.