GDB Wrap Up: Flames @ Oilers

baggedmilk
March 22 2014 10:42PM

Fart

Excuse me while I clean the vomit out of my carpet... Final Score: 8-1 Flames

If you were around for the glory days of the Battle of Alberta, I want to hear from you. Unfortunately for me, I'm not old enough to remember any of those playoff series. All I remember is the mediocre Oilers teams from the mid 90s (generous I know) and the various versions of suck that we see today. These days, the Battle of Alberta is not so much a battle as it is a glorified tickle fight and from what I've heard, about the 80s, that's a sad state of affairs. Guess who was the tickler tonight?

The Oilers have to be closing in on the record for dropping turds on Hockey Night in Canada. That 2nd period was probably one of the worst periods of hockey that I've seen in a long time. Being an Oilers fan, that says a lot. Also, what was up with Taylor Hall and Dallas Eakins yelling at each other on the bench? It can't really be because of a wet jacket can it? Fight with the star player over a suit jacket, that makes sense. This train wreck of a season can't end soon enough.

Let's wrap this thing up...

The Bright Side

• The #HereComeTheOilers hash tag is at its best when the Oilers get killed
  • Shooting on the Power Play = Good
  • Viktor Fasth's mask was better than his play
  • Someone won the 50/50

The Face Palmers

• Quite possibly the worst 2nd period in the history of the world
  • Eakins throwing a towel at Taylor Hall
  • Gazdic is apparently Russian for "visors are the devil"
  • Minute 21-60
  • We're all 2 hours closer to death

Best of the Tweets

Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 8.17.50 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 8.20.48 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 8.52.30 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 9.02.27 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 9.30.36 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 9.55.07 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 9.57.55 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 10.39.51 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 10.30.05 PM

94ea28cbbd0f9fe4153692bb3e38b40c
Twitter tyrant for @OilersNation - Resident Jackass - Poor vessel for carrying milk. Follow me on twitter (@jsbmbaggedmilk) - Instagram (@himynameisbaggedmilk) or email me at baggedmilk@oilersnation.com.
#51 Wanye
March 23 2014, 12:46PM

Someone was tossed from Rexall Place for wearing their jersey inside out?!

*facepalms so hard head rolls down the street*

#54 pelhem grenville
March 23 2014, 01:15PM
Wanye wrote:

Someone was tossed from Rexall Place for wearing their jersey inside out?!

*facepalms so hard head rolls down the street*

...boys ...back in the day there was a photographer who was told to leave the media lounge where the team fed us all pretty good...

good ol' Bill Tuele the media flack at the time didn't like the Leaf Jersey the newspaper photographer was wearing...

#55 RexHolez
March 23 2014, 01:59PM

Awww look how cute this team is.., trying to play hockey in the NHL, reminds me of a baby horse trying to walk for the first time, just adorable!!

#56 Zarny
March 23 2014, 02:53PM
hallsyoilerforever5 wrote:

Oh Eakins, your hair and suit gets a little wet from water. Then you bench Hall who has the passion to win.

The passion to win? Throwing a hissy fit isn't the passion to win.

Eakins was right to call Hall out last night. Hall's frustrations were due to his own bad decisions. He was the last guy back all night.

Leaders...captains...don't lose their sh*t and throw water bottles. They goal score goals.

#57 Oilersfan4ever
March 23 2014, 04:07PM

@Zarny

Get your facts straight. Hall did not throw his water bottle. He slammed it down. Frustration is very high and rightly so. Management of this team is where the problem is. Poop trickles down from the top.

#58 Oilsinc79
March 23 2014, 05:00PM

Ive been an oiler fan snc79, Gretz was a kid of 18, mess 18,lowe 20, semenko 22 and the ol man hamilton at 33. Way different game back then. The oil from 80 on to 90 could play the game anyway the team wanted to or defencive. But, when the game was on the line the goals usually came fast and furious, exiting hockey and a happy season for fans then. I do see odd flashes of that in the oil today.Very odd but flashes none the less.

Ralph, Timmins Ontario

#59 Jay87
March 23 2014, 05:53PM

@LoweBlow

I wouldn't say it's passion - but I commend Scrivens for what he did. I mean, disagree with me but I would never throw my jersey on the ice no matter how pissed off or disappointed I am. I think it's just disrespectful. And I 100% agree with what Scrivens said post game:

“I take pride in wearing that jersey, you’re a fan, you get to say and do whatever you want. Call me whatever name you want. But when it comes to that logo, that’s a sacred thing for us. It’s disheartening for me to see our fans treat it that way.”

#60 backup bob
March 23 2014, 06:28PM

Watched the last 2 games, and have to wonder how next season will be better. Hockey Night in Canada made Hall look awful.

MacT has his work cut out.

#61 Reagan
March 23 2014, 07:29PM

I was thinking the title of this post should have been $h¡T the bed....

#62 John B
March 23 2014, 08:35PM
Lenny wrote:

You only think this is a rock bottom. Just wait, much more to come as long as they have Dallas.

Unfortunately I think rock bottom could involve 1 or 2 of our young "star" players demanding trades & getting nothing but bags of pucks in return , along with our #1 draft pick refusing to come. Don't say it couldn't happen!

#63 Joe Mamma
March 24 2014, 11:22AM
Oilersfan4ever wrote:

Hall throws temper tantrums like that all the time. Slamming his stick, yelling and swearing when teamates make mistakes, etc, etc. It's juvenille and unprofessional. People wanted this kid to be captain? He's a good player, but he has a lot of growing up to do.

#64 Joe Mamma
March 24 2014, 11:33AM
merfer wrote:

I just don't get what right the Oilers have to throw out a customer because he turned his jersey inside out. It's like were living in Russia and Putin owns the team. Oilers need to be a bit bigger than this. Why not at next game have 25 to 50 people agree to turn their jerseys inside out. Are they going to throw all of these paying fans out as well. You know, its not just that our team sucks, our management seems to have this attitude of entitlement. We should love and respect the Oilers no matter what. If I went to a Garth Brooks concert and he forgot half the words to his songs and constantly sang out of tune, I think I could boo him and turn my GB world tour shirt inside out without the threat of getting punted out of the concert. Its time Oiler management have a bit empathy for the fans. Last night was as bad as it gets for Oiler fans.

Because they are a business, and they have the right to refuse service. It's boorish and heavy-handed, but no one's rights are being violated.