GDB Wrap Up: Flames @ Oilers

baggedmilk
March 22 2014 10:42PM

Fart

Excuse me while I clean the vomit out of my carpet... Final Score: 8-1 Flames

If you were around for the glory days of the Battle of Alberta, I want to hear from you. Unfortunately for me, I'm not old enough to remember any of those playoff series. All I remember is the mediocre Oilers teams from the mid 90s (generous I know) and the various versions of suck that we see today. These days, the Battle of Alberta is not so much a battle as it is a glorified tickle fight and from what I've heard, about the 80s, that's a sad state of affairs. Guess who was the tickler tonight?

The Oilers have to be closing in on the record for dropping turds on Hockey Night in Canada. That 2nd period was probably one of the worst periods of hockey that I've seen in a long time. Being an Oilers fan, that says a lot. Also, what was up with Taylor Hall and Dallas Eakins yelling at each other on the bench? It can't really be because of a wet jacket can it? Fight with the star player over a suit jacket, that makes sense. This train wreck of a season can't end soon enough.

Let's wrap this thing up...

The Bright Side

• The #HereComeTheOilers hash tag is at its best when the Oilers get killed
  • Shooting on the Power Play = Good
  • Viktor Fasth's mask was better than his play
  • Someone won the 50/50

The Face Palmers

• Quite possibly the worst 2nd period in the history of the world
  • Eakins throwing a towel at Taylor Hall
  • Gazdic is apparently Russian for "visors are the devil"
  • Minute 21-60
  • We're all 2 hours closer to death

Best of the Tweets

Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 8.17.50 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 8.20.48 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 8.52.30 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 9.02.27 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 9.30.36 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 9.55.07 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 9.57.55 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 10.39.51 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 10.30.05 PM

94ea28cbbd0f9fe4153692bb3e38b40c
Twitter tyrant for @OilersNation - Resident Jackass - Poor vessel for carrying milk. Follow me on twitter (@jsbmbaggedmilk) - Instagram (@himynameisbaggedmilk) or email me at baggedmilk@oilersnation.com.
#1 SmythTheVillain
March 22 2014, 10:52PM

Smyth simply cannot be on the team next year. Adds no value to the team.

#2 Jay87
March 22 2014, 11:20PM

So. I don't even care that they lost 1-8, really, I mean sure it was bad. But I didn't get upset until I saw the jerseys fly on the ice. Disgusting. I'm glad Scrivens threw it right back. I get frustrations but man, come on!

Where can I go to party away my pain now

#3 Ziom
March 22 2014, 11:14PM

Here is what needs to happen.

1.) Fire Lowe 2.) Keep Craig Mctavish. He shown he has some commitment to making things better 3.) Keep Eakins and let him choose his own coaching staff. They are the one constant throughout the years and do not know how to develop or coach players. 4.) Fire the entire Coaching staff. The fact is even the coaching staff are buddies of Lowe 5.) Acquire a large powerful Centre and 2 large excellent defenseman 6.) Fire the scouting staff 7.) Fire Lowe again

#4 hallsyoilerforever5
March 22 2014, 10:51PM

Oh Eakins, your hair and suit gets a little wet from water. Then you bench Hall who has the passion to win.

#5 hockey fan 1976
March 23 2014, 12:03AM

Had to paste this comment from another feed as it's one of the truest comments in awhile :)

"HALL IS NO LEADER

After the game, Hall said the team was A LITTLE BIT frustrated and they unravelled A LITTLE BIT. He said he was NOT embarrassed. This is the guy many people suggested should be the captain this year.

On HNIC they eviscerated his game with replays. They showed how Hall was cherry-picking, not back-checking, drifting aimlessly around the ice when he did not have the puck. You might say he was disheartened because of the score. That's funny, because coach Eakins says the Oilers are not QUITTERS, in fact they hate QUITTERS.

I had to laugh when people in Edmonton were talking about Hall being on the Olympic team this year. The ONLY people who thought that were Hall himself and a few fawning media types in Edmonton. In the national media they would show lists of 6, 8, 10 "bubble" players and Hall was never included.

In four years Hall will have gone the way of Jason Arnott. He just isn't that good.

About six years ago MacTavish said that professional hockey was a "result oriented business". The results don't matter if your name is Lowe, MacTavish, Eakins, Buchberger, Smith, Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov, etc., etc. This team is in second last place because they are a small, soft, selfish team that is badly coached. They are exactly where they belong."

#6 Retsinnab5
March 22 2014, 11:18PM

How does Eakins still have a job????

#7 SmythsMullet
March 23 2014, 12:50AM

- I received free tickets to the Battle of Alberta tonight. (The game starts in 15 minutes, I figure whatever be spontaneous, go to the game, have some rexall crack beers, it'll be a good time, the score is 2-1 at this time.

- Enter rexall, notice it's 5-1. (whatever tickets are free, enjoy yourself)

- 3rd period, Lost for words. there's no wheels left to fall of this machine. Sure they had a decent run pre Buffalo, but losing to Buff and our southern adversaries is just ridiculous. At this point my friend and I just scope girls in the crowd rather than watch the embarrassment.

- First Oilers game I ever attended was a Battle of Alberta, Oilers won 3-1. I was about 11.

I can only imagine the guy who gave me the free tickets is laughing right now. Even with the boo's on the ice tonight, I cannot bring myself to boo the team. idk just not my character.

It's always sunny at Rexall Place

#8 Quicksilver ballet
March 23 2014, 08:15AM

Muwahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa

Ekblad......he's all ours!

Now that the .930 goaltending has worn off, this is still the same old Oilers lead by Eakins. I almost hope they hang onto Eakins and Lowe, if only to have a shot at Connor McDavid next season.

Good to have you back again, my old friend.........says rock bottom.

#9 thednp
March 22 2014, 11:22PM

How can Hall say they aren't embarrassed?!?!? They are serious issues in that room. Hendricks alluded to the point players not buying in and elliott Friedman mentioned issues as well. Grow up Hall and company, you are embarrassing to the team, the city, and the fans.

#10 LoweBlow
March 22 2014, 11:40PM
Jay87 wrote:

Where can I go to party away my pain now

I commend the fan that threw the jersey, and I commend Sribbles for throwing it back. We need passion and heart from the fans as well as the players.

Sribbles deserves his contract. Glad to have him around. Half the players on the roster, not so much. Eakins, don't worry about your Moores suit.

#11 Rob F
March 22 2014, 11:07PM
SmythTheVillain wrote:

Smyth simply cannot be on the team next year. Adds no value to the team.

Hes the least of our problems.....he was +1 in a 8-1 drubbing and if by smyth you mean (Bucky, Smith, and half the roster) then i do agree with you

#12 Retsinnab5
March 22 2014, 11:40PM
Ziom wrote:

Here is what needs to happen.

You forgot the Fire Eakins part...

#13 Oiler Al
March 23 2014, 12:04AM

Hey, Hall, was just trying to wash Eakins greasy hair job.

This wasnt the first time a stick or water bottle was tossed in frustration. Eakins stands there like a statue during all the games, only when his pretty hair and suit get wet, he shows emotion.

#14 Wildcard
March 23 2014, 11:08AM

@Quicksilver ballet

Cheering for the team to lose as embarrassing as the jersey throwers.

#16 Loyal Oil
March 22 2014, 10:51PM

We are a joke. A total laughing joke. What does Katz need to see before he realizes this management team is a total failure along with that armature coach.

#17 Dog Train
March 22 2014, 11:09PM

@SmythTheVillain

Funny thing to point out on a night when he was the only Oiler who wasn't a minus.

I am an Oilers fan but I live in Saskatoon so I don't go to many games. I feel sorry for the bloggers who have to watch this hot garbage and write about it. I feel sorry for the fans who actually pay hard-earned money to support this clown squad. I feel sorry for anybody who gives a flying F about this team.

Lots of other good stuff going on in Edmonton right now though. Edmonton Rush are undefeated. Oil Kings look poised for another long playoff run. The Golden Bears are in the CIS championship game tomorrow. I'll be there dressed in Huskies' green. GO HUSKIES!

#18 Comrade GT
March 22 2014, 11:12PM
SmythTheVillain wrote:

Smyth simply cannot be on the team next year. Adds no value to the team.

Fun fact, Smyth was the only even oilers player tonight. The rest ranged from -1 to -4.

#19 Rdubb
March 23 2014, 08:16AM

Oh boy, do I ever remember those Oiler teams from the 80's. I was very fortunate and got to go to more than my share of games, especially in the playoffs. I was also able to go to many Stanley Cup Playoff Games, more so near that later part of those great teams, going to see them play the Flyers and Bruins. I was also a very lucky young fella who go to meet many of the guys from that era as many where friends of family members & I got to see them & got to meet and know them away from hockey at functions. One real good story is that my Great Grandma housed many of those players of the late 70's & 80's, from Glen Sather, Gretzky & others (I was too young during those days to remember that but it is a story which floats about our family). Many of those young guys came to my great grandma's funeral (again, very young @ the time). And any time I saw these guys away from the rink, they were always great and super nice, but more so, they were real everyday people... I remember when the glory Oilers would play softball games @ Telus field, why don't we have these new Oilers doing the same thing, wouldn't it put them into the community a little more? I think it was either Lamb or Mciver who had the biggest freaking thigh's, HUGE for such a short fella... And when those guys would sign autographs, they'd actually talk to people, look up, have a conversation, now days, it is hard to get any athlete to lift their head and say hi, how you doing, blah blah blah...just another difference from the glory years to today, all those players where much more personable. Maybe it is the way we (as a society) glorify our athlete's, and the unfortunate thing is that they are just as we are, other than making huge amounts of bucks that is. How'd you or I act as a 20yr old making a million? Or a 22-24yr old making $5-$8million per. I'd have been a train wreck, drinking, dancing, bar hoping, and girl chasing even more than I did. I have also had friends & or friends of friends who played in the NHL, and every time they were in town, and had time, we'd go out to the bar, and they couldn't even enjoy there time out with friends as people where always coming up to them, some asking for autographs, some just chit chatting, some hitting on them, in front of girlfriends or wives, & some, who thought that they could beat them in a fight, and many tried. And it was left up to the friends to step in mainly because of whom they were and the trouble that they'd get in... I ask a few things; have this group do things in the Edmonton area over the summer, insert themselves into the community a little more. Have a softball against local TV personalities for charity...And, to talk to the people when signing an autograph @ an autograph session. And for the fan, don't idolize these guys so much, treat them like you'd want to be treated. Many are a bunch of kids making a ton of money and they're learning as they go, growing up in the spotlight of a hockey mad city. Boo, curse, do whatever at the rink, but, when you see them away from the rink, treat them like you'd want to be treated, or like you'd want your son or brother treated. Just a few thoughts

#20 The Last Big Bear
March 22 2014, 10:47PM

Classic Battles of Alberta had a lot more guys getting hooked down from behind, more head shots, and a lot more line brawls, if I remember correctly.

Also, neither team was an embarrassment to themselves, their fans, or their league.

#21 Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy!
March 22 2014, 10:48PM

Flames hats and Oilers jerseys on the ice.

Garbage.

#22 @Oilanderp
March 22 2014, 11:07PM

*deletes PVR*

#23 Retsinnab5
March 22 2014, 11:16PM

Anyone else hear Darcy on 630 Ched?

#24 Hemmercules
March 22 2014, 11:25PM

Haven't watched hardly a period since the Olympics. Tonight just reinforces that decision. Wow. Good game to miss.

#25 Zarny
March 23 2014, 02:53PM
hallsyoilerforever5 wrote:

The passion to win? Throwing a hissy fit isn't the passion to win.

Eakins was right to call Hall out last night. Hall's frustrations were due to his own bad decisions. He was the last guy back all night.

Leaders...captains...don't lose their sh*t and throw water bottles. They goal score goals.

#26 Thumby
March 22 2014, 10:49PM

Rebuild anyone?

#27 27Ginge
March 22 2014, 10:50PM

I feel a certain comfort in finally knowing what actual rock bottom looks and feels like.

#28 Gofucoffee
March 22 2014, 11:11PM

OMG!!!

#29 LoweBlow
March 22 2014, 11:36PM
eastcoastoil wrote:

If i only had 15 minutes left to live I would chose the last 15 mins of that game.

It felt like eternity

That is the most brilliant comment I've read in months! Here, here.

Thank you.

You should've turned off the TV.

#30 Danger Pay
March 23 2014, 12:43AM

I would like to remind everyone that the Oilers GAVE Glencross to the Flames for Nothing!!!!!

#31 Greenlingj
March 23 2014, 01:14AM

@Woogie63

I thought to myself, I should look at the rest of the schedule and I felt a cold shiver down my spine followed by this.

This season was a train wreck, that left smoldering fires and just when we thing we put the fire under control the propane tank exploded in this debacle of a game.

#32 Oilersfan4ever
March 23 2014, 04:07PM

@Zarny

Get your facts straight. Hall did not throw his water bottle. He slammed it down. Frustration is very high and rightly so. Management of this team is where the problem is. Poop trickles down from the top.

#33 Dale
March 23 2014, 12:19AM

I don't know how much more you can p!ss off the fans without making changes?? what needs to happen katz?? let us know and we'll make that happen!!

#34 Lenny
March 23 2014, 12:29AM

@27Ginge

You only think this is a rock bottom. Just wait, much more to come as long as they have Dallas.

#35 Jay87
March 23 2014, 05:53PM

@LoweBlow

I wouldn't say it's passion - but I commend Scrivens for what he did. I mean, disagree with me but I would never throw my jersey on the ice no matter how pissed off or disappointed I am. I think it's just disrespectful. And I 100% agree with what Scrivens said post game:

“I take pride in wearing that jersey, you’re a fan, you get to say and do whatever you want. Call me whatever name you want. But when it comes to that logo, that’s a sacred thing for us. It’s disheartening for me to see our fans treat it that way.”

#36 Thumby
March 22 2014, 10:53PM

I actually thought Eakins was going to thank Hall for getting a little extra "wet look" going for him. #jerrycurl

#37 Goon80
March 22 2014, 11:18PM
27Ginge wrote:

I really hope that you are right that this is actual rock bottom. If there is a lower depth after tonight's performance I am certain that the Oil could find it before season's end.

#38 eastcoastoil
March 22 2014, 11:32PM

It felt like eternity

#39 #ThereGoesTheOilers
March 22 2014, 11:58PM
eastcoastoil wrote:

It felt like eternity

Eternal purgation maybe, except we never graduate to heaven. Bob Stuaffer will tell you heaven is just around the corner though.

#oilerpositives

#40 Marlin
March 23 2014, 12:33AM

There were very few players tonight that deserve the opportunity to wear an Oiler jersey.

It disgusts me the way this organization has destroyed the reputation and results of the early Oiler teams with their uninspired play.

#41 Woogie63
March 23 2014, 01:04AM

Hold your judgment on rock bottom, have seen the remaining games in our schedule?

#42 The Cup Grinch
March 23 2014, 01:20AM

A thought add some salt to the wound... The flames were said to have had less energy than the Oilers as they played last night. Or so people thought.

#43 rob
March 23 2014, 06:33AM

one of 2 things just happened,either Hall just signed his trade ticket or eakins is on his way to the unemployment line.

#44 LoweBlow
March 23 2014, 07:21AM

Well, that's the last game I'll watch his year.

This team isn't worth any consideration.

#45 RexHolez
March 23 2014, 01:59PM

Awww look how cute this team is.., trying to play hockey in the NHL, reminds me of a baby horse trying to walk for the first time, just adorable!!

#46 kale
March 22 2014, 11:16PM

A guy, Darcy, was just on 630 ched said he was thrown out of rexall cause he wore his jersey inside out

#47 R U Kidding Me!
March 22 2014, 11:17PM

Quite a fitting score to how the season's gone this year.

#48 pelhem grenville
March 23 2014, 09:13AM

...Q

Ekblad? Really? y'don't think this squad needs a CENTREMAN?...you're ready to wait 3to4 years before you see highly touted Dmen this club's drafted to come to be Big Club eligible?

'splain why not drafting getting trading for or stealing a CENTREMAN is not a good thing?

...and tell me if you still have my gmail addy...we need to communicate please!

#49 pelhem grenville
March 23 2014, 09:36AM

...Bagged

y'might not wanna hear too too much about the GLORY DAYS at this point ... I was in the middle of it...I covered the Oilers as the Edmonton Sun sports beat photographer from the day I arrived that day after some kid named Andy Moog beat the dreaded Habs in a best of five series May of 81...

the battle of alberta was life altering my friend...I was blessed to be a part of all those years until 99 was sold and no one ever will be able to take any one of those memories away from me[.]

period