NADIR

Lowetide
March 22 2014 11:08PM

nadir

As an Oiler fan, I can give you chapter and verse about low points in organization history. The quick exit in 1983 was nothing—we knew the Oilers would be back. The Pronger trade request was a bad damn day, I suspect you remember it. Tonight? Losing like this to the current edition of the Calgary Flames? Come on.

I'm not one for grand gestures, and I'm certainly not one who believes any business or organization should have a knee jerk reaction to a specific trainwreck. However, the score and the Hall-Eakins exchange are the cherry on top of a truly incredible season.

Oiler fans have, in my opinion, been amazingly patient during this rebuild. Even in this season—which is the most trying year of all—the grumbling has been less than one might expect based on performance/expectation.

The remaining schedule is difficult, the jerseys keep flying from the stands (and may I say that's getting old) and the hits just keep on coming.

eakins quote

Looked liked Dallas Eakins and Taylor Hall had some frayed nerves tonight. That can be a good thing—this has to be a low for both men—and something good could come from it. Sometimes these things don't work out, and history tells us if one of them is leaving we already know his name.

This has all the makings of a bizarre spring. It is, at the very least, a dramatic low point in a season that defies description. We've passed surprise and driven through anger, and long ago stopped checking the standings.

What's next? I suspect the answer is indifference.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
Lowetide has been one of the Oilogosphere's shining lights for over a century. You can check him out here at OilersNation and at lowetide.ca. He is also the host of Lowdown with Lowetide weekday mornings 10-noon on Team 1260.
Avatar
#1 TheresAlwaysNextYear
March 22 2014, 11:16PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
77
cheers

ARE WE THERE YET??

Avatar
#2 The real minnow
March 22 2014, 11:17PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
28
cheers

Sad days. Oh well atleast we have golf season to look forward to

Avatar
#3 Eulers
March 22 2014, 11:17PM
Trash it!
17
trashes
Cheers
18
cheers

Offensively, the OIlers weren't terrible tonight. But, defensibly... whoo boy! Absolute comedy!

Two positives though: 1) Scriven's Give-a-Shit meter bursts through Rexall's roof and 2) great for one (last?) draft pick position.

Just need that aging #2 defenceman to come in next year as our #1 to plug the leaks.

Tears in my beers.

Avatar
#4 Thumby
March 22 2014, 11:20PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
61
cheers

Funny thing, I was getting concerned that our recent hot streak was going to continue and we'd miss out on a top center or dman. Guess I had nothing to worry about...

Avatar
#5 Retsinnab5
March 22 2014, 11:20PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
63
cheers

And I thought we already hit rock bottom...

Avatar
#6 Reg Dunlop
March 22 2014, 11:20PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
154
cheers

Sorry to say, anyone who thinks we have hit rock bottom is forgetting how often we hit it in the past. Zero points in the remaining games will be the new rock bottom. Then, Hall demanding a trade. Then, Ekblad refusing to put on an oil jersey at the draft. Then, no signings at free agency followed by another 'bold moves' presser from Mac. The oil still have lots of gongshow in them.

Avatar
#7 Fresh Mess
March 22 2014, 11:21PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
51
cheers

I hit indifference more than three years ago when I saw the organisation for what it was. That was after more than a quarter century of being a rabid fan.

Avatar
#8 Young Oil
March 22 2014, 11:24PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
201
cheers

I almost hate saying this, but I think we need to blow up this team again, players, coaches, everyone. This isn't working. It never has worked. It never will.

I just want to say, this team is losing a whole generation of fans. I have gone through all of Jr High, High School, and soon University without seeing playoff hockey. People 14 years and younger have gone through their entire school lives without seeing a meaningful game. Classrooms that were once full of Oiler jerseys are gone, replaced by other teams, and other sports.

It's just sad to see.

Avatar
#9 admiralmark
March 22 2014, 11:25PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
86
cheers

Rock Bottom will be finishing last next year but then having Vancouver win the draft Lottery to get McDavid. :)

Avatar
#10 Dog Train
March 22 2014, 11:27PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
90
cheers

I quit watching when it was 5-1. As soon as Smyth gets a PP goal, I will be completely indifferent.

I went back and watched a video of the Hall/Eakins incident. Eakins is a goof. How many players have you seem slam a water bottle before? And Eakins is ticked off because he got a little bit wet. There's nothing left to do but laugh.

Avatar
#11 oilerman53
March 22 2014, 11:27PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
126
cheers

Lowe has been here for all of those 14 years and its no secret that his presence has been nothing short of disastrous.

Avatar
#12 Mason Storm
March 22 2014, 11:29PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
36
cheers

My tried and true method for watching oilers games is to get as drunk as possible as quickly as possible and either pass out or blackout and not remember. Unfortunately I'm in camp on night shift, so listening to the utter silence on 630 ched for the entire third period, as Bob had no possible positive spin for this, was depressing. I think if I chug my mouthwash back at camp, it could wipe this night from my memory.

Avatar
#13 slats
March 22 2014, 11:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
77
cheers

Rock Bottom will be when the announced attendance is 10,208

Avatar
#14 Travis
March 22 2014, 11:33PM
Trash it!
27
trashes
Cheers
34
cheers
Fresh Mess wrote:

I hit indifference more than three years ago when I saw the organisation for what it was. That was after more than a quarter century of being a rabid fan.

... Said the guy posting in the comment thread of a site devoted to the team that he's indifferent toward.

Avatar
#15 Reg Dunlop
March 22 2014, 11:33PM
Trash it!
41
trashes
Cheers
31
cheers
Young Oil wrote:

I almost hate saying this, but I think we need to blow up this team again, players, coaches, everyone. This isn't working. It never has worked. It never will.

I just want to say, this team is losing a whole generation of fans. I have gone through all of Jr High, High School, and soon University without seeing playoff hockey. People 14 years and younger have gone through their entire school lives without seeing a meaningful game. Classrooms that were once full of Oiler jerseys are gone, replaced by other teams, and other sports.

It's just sad to see.

When I was a kid we didn't even have a NHL team to cheer on so quit crying. And we had to walk to school through snow that was over our heads. Damn kids. Get off my lawn.

Avatar
#16 oscar the grouch
March 22 2014, 11:39PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
21
cheers
admiralmark wrote:

Rock Bottom will be finishing last next year but then having Vancouver win the draft Lottery to get McDavid. :)

lol

Avatar
#17 BlueMile
March 22 2014, 11:45PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
75
cheers

Eakins has come across as arrogant and let's face it, this is not Vancouver and he is not Vigneault.

Avatar
#18 2004Z06
March 22 2014, 11:45PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
93
cheers

Taylor Hall for captain chants quieted down yet? Spoiled brats! We need a Tyler Seguin kind of move. Did you see Hendricks during Halls locker room interview. He looked like he wanted to reach over and strangle the kid.

Something is very wrong in that dressing room.

Avatar
#19 Spydyr
March 22 2014, 11:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
18
cheers

What is next? The final scene in Scarface when the hit squad jumps the wall at the Montana um Katz compound.Literally not figuratively.

Avatar
#20 Sevenseven
March 22 2014, 11:49PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
56
cheers

Im starting to think bridge contracts would have been better for the young stars. Make them earn their money.

Avatar
#21 Loweblows
March 22 2014, 11:52PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
23
cheers
Reg Dunlop wrote:

Sorry to say, anyone who thinks we have hit rock bottom is forgetting how often we hit it in the past. Zero points in the remaining games will be the new rock bottom. Then, Hall demanding a trade. Then, Ekblad refusing to put on an oil jersey at the draft. Then, no signings at free agency followed by another 'bold moves' presser from Mac. The oil still have lots of gongshow in them.

Don't forget about MacT trading away the first overall pick in the following years draft which turns out to be McDavid.

Avatar
#22 Spydyr
March 22 2014, 11:53PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
59
cheers
Sevenseven wrote:

Im starting to think bridge contracts would have been better for the young stars. Make them earn their money.

"young stars"

Now that is fumy.

Avatar
#23 Oiler63
March 22 2014, 11:53PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
48
cheers

Anger ==> denial ==> Depression ==> Acceptance ==> Inner Peace

I'm here, waiting for you.

Avatar
#24 Rick Stroppel
March 22 2014, 11:53PM
Trash it!
45
trashes
Cheers
67
cheers

HALL IS NO LEADER

After the game, Hall said the team was A LITTLE BIT frustrated and they unravelled A LITTLE BIT. He said he was NOT embarrassed. This is the guy many people suggested should be the captain this year.

On HNIC they eviscerated his game with replays. They showed how Hall was cherry-picking, not back-checking, drifting aimlessly around the ice when he did not have the puck. You might say he was disheartened because of the score. That's funny, because coach Eakins says the Oilers are not QUITTERS, in fact they hate QUITTERS.

I had to laugh when people in Edmonton were talking about Hall being on the Olympic team this year. The ONLY people who thought that were Hall himself and a few fawning media types in Edmonton. In the national media they would show lists of 6, 8, 10 "bubble" players and Hall was never included.

In four years Hall will have gone the way of Jason Arnott. He just isn't that good.

About six years ago MacTavish said that professional hockey was a "result oriented business". The results don't matter if your name is Lowe, MacTavish, Eakins, Buchberger, Smith, Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov, etc., etc. This team is in second last place because they are a small, soft, selfish team that is badly coached. They are exactly where they belong.

Avatar
#25 Cold Hard Truth
March 22 2014, 11:55PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
125
cheers

"Whoever threw that jersey on the ice, they're out. They've given up. They're a quitter."

Dallas has it the other way around; it was the Oilers who have given up on the fans.

Edmonton fans are the most loyal, resolute in the NHL. They deserve a team that'll show half the heart of the fan base.

Avatar
#26 The Soup Fascist
March 22 2014, 11:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
61
cheers

To quote the überhot Rachel Green from Friends .....

"There is rock bottom, fifty feet of crap, then us"

That about covers it.

Avatar
#27 Rod from Viking
March 23 2014, 12:00AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
Retsinnab5 wrote:

And I thought we already hit rock bottom...

Trap door, hope it was last one.

Avatar
#28 Loyal Oil
March 23 2014, 12:02AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
117
cheers

So is it a little weird that the most angry we have seen Eakins all year is when he gets a little water on his suit because his star player is pissed off about losing?

Avatar
#29 Bringbackslats
March 23 2014, 12:04AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
21
cheers

Allan it's a Lowetide indeed. When does it turn? Seems the consensus is that it can't until Kevin steps down. I would like to know how you feel? And I respect that you had high opinion of him as a player and coach.

Avatar
#30 @Oilanderp
March 23 2014, 12:09AM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Reg Dunlop wrote:

When I was a kid we didn't even have a NHL team to cheer on so quit crying. And we had to walk to school through snow that was over our heads. Damn kids. Get off my lawn.

Avatar
#31 Oiler Al
March 23 2014, 12:10AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
39
cheers

Hey fans give Lowe a break, after all this is only year one of a rebuild of a rebuild.

Sorry, but this is a terrible showcase of a team on Saturday national TV, on top of a Battle Of Alberta game... to toally sheet your pants like that.. and also have your coach do battle with your top player.

Avatar
#32 Pouzar99
March 23 2014, 12:12AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
99
cheers

How bad have things gotten? A great many people sitting around me tonight and apparently throughout the building were suffering through the third period instead of leaving, for one purpose only - the 50-50 draw, which they expected any second, and $60,000 is nothing to sneeze it.

It soon became obvious team officials were stalling, or tanking if you prefer, because they knew the building would immediately empty, apart from Flames fans, on national television, as it did when they finally posted the winning numbers with less than 5 minutes remaining, which is the latest call I can remember in more than 30 years of coming to nearly every game.

Avatar
#33 Pouzar99
March 23 2014, 12:12AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

How bad have things gotten? A great many people sitting around me tonight and apparently throughout the building were suffering through the third period instead of leaving, for one purpose only - the 50-50 draw, which they expected any second, and $60,000 is nothing to sneeze it.

It soon became obvious team officials were stalling, or tanking if you prefer, because they knew the building would immediately empty, apart from Flames fans, on national television, as it did when they finally posted the winning numbers with less than 5 minutes remaining, which is the latest call I can remember in more than 30 years of coming to nearly every game.

Avatar
#34 Serious Gord
March 23 2014, 12:17AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
19
cheers
Reg Dunlop wrote:

Sorry to say, anyone who thinks we have hit rock bottom is forgetting how often we hit it in the past. Zero points in the remaining games will be the new rock bottom. Then, Hall demanding a trade. Then, Ekblad refusing to put on an oil jersey at the draft. Then, no signings at free agency followed by another 'bold moves' presser from Mac. The oil still have lots of gongshow in them.

The last two got a lot closer to coming true tonight - That incident on the bench could have legs - Tremblay vs Roy type legs...

Avatar
#35 Oilcruzer
March 23 2014, 12:17AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers

I dunno. I could see if one team had something to play for that the argument could be made, but THIS?

This is inexcusable.

Avatar
#36 6 ring circus
March 23 2014, 12:22AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
74
cheers

What do the Oiler's and Islanders have in common?

Charles Wang = Daryl Katz. Kevin Lowe = Garth Snow/Mike Millbury

After tonight's game there is no way I am renewing my tickets,I have had enough of this gong show and wasting my money !!!

Avatar
#37 Oasis
March 23 2014, 12:23AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
55
cheers

I am a season seat holder ( tier one fan according to K Lowe) and I haven't been to a game in almost two months. I had to phone over 25 people to give my seats away for last Tuesdays game. I took a break from this sh@tshow of a season but decided tonight to to take my two kids to the game. The only positive out of the evening was that I got 3 of us in with two tickets

On the way out I stopped in the men's room and there was quite a commotion on the other side so I had to check it out. There was a bunch of guys and they had an Oiler hat in the urinal and we're taking pics. I think they were tweeting it out. Pretty damn funny to be honest

This team is the real joke. How can Taylor Hall say he isn't embarrassed? You just got beat by the worst team in the league the other night and then got pounded by a team that's in their first year of a re-build. And yet somehow I don't think we have hit rock bottom.

Avatar
#38 Marlin
March 23 2014, 12:25AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

Not much to be sad after serving that beauty of a game up. This team just seems lost and the upcoming draft will simply add another top flight youngster to this ruinous franchise.

Avatar
#39 JohnnyEberle
March 23 2014, 12:27AM
Trash it!
20
trashes
Cheers
39
cheers
Rick Stroppel wrote:

HALL IS NO LEADER

After the game, Hall said the team was A LITTLE BIT frustrated and they unravelled A LITTLE BIT. He said he was NOT embarrassed. This is the guy many people suggested should be the captain this year.

On HNIC they eviscerated his game with replays. They showed how Hall was cherry-picking, not back-checking, drifting aimlessly around the ice when he did not have the puck. You might say he was disheartened because of the score. That's funny, because coach Eakins says the Oilers are not QUITTERS, in fact they hate QUITTERS.

I had to laugh when people in Edmonton were talking about Hall being on the Olympic team this year. The ONLY people who thought that were Hall himself and a few fawning media types in Edmonton. In the national media they would show lists of 6, 8, 10 "bubble" players and Hall was never included.

In four years Hall will have gone the way of Jason Arnott. He just isn't that good.

About six years ago MacTavish said that professional hockey was a "result oriented business". The results don't matter if your name is Lowe, MacTavish, Eakins, Buchberger, Smith, Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov, etc., etc. This team is in second last place because they are a small, soft, selfish team that is badly coached. They are exactly where they belong.

I tend to agree with your comments on Hall. I also would like to say my opinion on his interview tonight and many others he does are that he is indifferent to losses. He seems to feel like he is so talented that he could not be the problem or part of the problem. He seems to feel like he is always better than others on the team so no responsibility falls on him. That is just the feeling I get. It also frustrates me that when he does get angry he doesn't take charge and go out there, make a big hit, make a statement, go score a goal, lay down and block a shot. He seems to cherry pick more, complain and whine and yell at the refs. Throw the water bottle down. He reminds me of a spoiled brat. He may be leading the team in points but I am starting to question his commitment and buy in level. Maybe I am just an overly frustrated fan, but I have always looked at hall a bit suspect.

Avatar
#40 JohnnyEberle
March 23 2014, 12:32AM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
49
cheers

In fact I will play Devil's advocate a little bit farther and suggest that maybe Mac T should test the market and see what kind of return he can get for Hall. Top pairing defenseman, prospect and a pick?

Avatar
#41 RexHolez
March 23 2014, 12:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
48
cheers

hey look, another "rock bottom" article. I remember reading these 4 years ago! we must be getting close to digging up china by now!!

oh well, it really doesn't matter. like you said LT, the response will be indifference. fans will continue to go

Avatar
#42 Serious Gord
March 23 2014, 12:34AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
37
cheers

Lowetide:

"What's next? I suspect the answer is indifference."

No. We are a long way from that. Until the crowds dwindle to the low teen-thousands indifference is not what we will see.

Fan rage is growing. The death march that is the next nine games could make it worse. Far worse.

A bad start next year or demands to be traded by a star player this summer will rile them even more.

Let's be categorical:

Tonight was the lowest point in oilers history.

Never has an oilers team with this level of talent and potential played this bad. It's like a cancer relapse.

Failure on this scale requires more, much more than the firing of some assistant coaches - major surgery - removal of the source of this losing cancer is needed.

Lowe must be fired.

Accountability begins at the top and in order for holding someone to account to have meaning requires penalty/punishment to those who are responsible.

Lowe must be fired.

Avatar
#43 Rod from Viking
March 23 2014, 12:34AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
17
cheers
2004Z06 wrote:

Taylor Hall for captain chants quieted down yet? Spoiled brats! We need a Tyler Seguin kind of move. Did you see Hendricks during Halls locker room interview. He looked like he wanted to reach over and strangle the kid.

Something is very wrong in that dressing room.

At first I thought he was just in a hurry to get to the After Hours and then watching him you could see he was really holding back from saying something.

Avatar
#44 Rob F
March 23 2014, 12:35AM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
23
cheers
JohnnyEberle wrote:

In fact I will play Devil's advocate a little bit farther and suggest that maybe Mac T should test the market and see what kind of return he can get for Hall. Top pairing defenseman, prospect and a pick?

im wondering if hall is more of the problem than the solution

Avatar
#45 Dutchscooter
March 23 2014, 12:38AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

Meh.

Avatar
#46 nuge2nail
March 23 2014, 12:43AM
Trash it!
33
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers

Oiler Domination To Follow

Hall is NOT the problem.

On any other team he will put up 40-50 goals.

Same goes for Eberle and Yakupov.

That's the real problem.

This organization is a joke.

Avatar
#47 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
March 23 2014, 12:46AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
28
cheers

My god.

Just, my god.

Avatar
#48 Ari Gold
March 23 2014, 12:54AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
35
cheers
nuge2nail wrote:

Oiler Domination To Follow

Hall is NOT the problem.

On any other team he will put up 40-50 goals.

Same goes for Eberle and Yakupov.

That's the real problem.

This organization is a joke.

I appreciate the positivity with the domination nonsense.

Seriously though, you merely represent the KoolAid.

Just stop it.

8-1 against a 26th place team is a bloody disaster.

This was a ridiculous embarrassment. How about, Oiler mediocrity to follow? Oiler re-tune to follow? Oiler ineptitude to follow?

Enough of this nonsense.

I'm glad that hockey lasts only until April, for us Oiler fans.

Avatar
#49 SmythsMullet
March 23 2014, 12:56AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
35
cheers

At the game tonight someone threw their jersey hats etc.(getting old, no jersey thrown on the ice will have the significance as the first). Scrivens picked up a jersey and threw it into the crowd to some deserving fans.

So glad Ben is on this team, he seems like the person to calm the storm. great character.

Avatar
#50 Rod from Viking
March 23 2014, 12:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

If you look at the schedule for the rest of the year the Oilers could get 0 points in their last 10 games, I hope not but no wins could easily happen and maybe a couple loser points unless Phoenix are out and the last game is against Vancouver, this is not good at all.

Comments are closed for this article.