SPRING FEVER

Lowetide
March 23 2014 04:03PM

nurse common

Canada's junior teams are beginning their playoffs this weekend, with championships in the WHL, OHL and QMJHL at stake, plus a chance to play for the Memorial Cup in May. The Oilers have several kids playing and early results are very good.

OHL: DARNELL NURSE

his Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds won 44 games (in a 68-game schedule) and finished with 95 points. They are expected to go on a deep run in the playoffs this spring. So far, Nurse is 2GP, 0-4-4 +3 as the Greyhounds are 1-1 so far against Owen Sound.

• SSM GM Kyle Dubas: “Relative to the competition he plays [against], he does extremely well. Far greater than 50 percent of the time, the puck is not in our end. To me, it doesn’t get much bigger than that. If we’re taking the other team’s best players and forcing them to play in their end and away from the puck, that’s a successful day. The quality of competition he’s faced is higher than anyone else in our league, especially among defencemen.”

Story is here.

Kyle Platzer plays for Owen Sound these days, the Oilers 2013 draft pick was traded by London during the season. Platzer is 2GP, 1-1-2 in the series and has played a major part in the series. His goal in game one (overtime) gave OS the series lead.

Game summary is here.

roy capture

QMJHL

Marco Roy had an injury-plagued season, and a deep run into the postseason might benefit his development as a prospect. Blainville-Boisbriand (Roy's team) is also tied 1-1 in games with Moncton, with game three tomorrow. Roy is 2GP, 0-1-1 with 8 shots on goal.

moroz mcritchie

WHL

Mitchell Moroz leads the way out west, his Edmonton Oil Kings won yesterday in the lid-lifter against Prince Albert. The two teams tangle again in Edmonton this afternoon (game just getting underway). Moroz had an assist in yesterday's game (on a very nice play) and is a big part of the club's offense this season.

Jujhar Khaira and Ben Betker are in the playoffs this season. They've played in 1 game (no boxcar numbers yet) and Everett is down 1-0 in their series against Seattle. Game two also goes later today.

Jackson Houck and his Vancouver Giants are already down 2-0 to the Portland Winterhawks and things aren't likely going to get any better. Portland is a powerhouse in the western conference. In two games so far, Houck has a goal.

Greg Chase is 2GP, 1-1-2 so far in the Calgary Hitmen series against Kootenay. Things are tied 1-1, and Chase is one of the major players in the series.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

lucy

The CHL kids are gaining valuable experience and for some of them this represents their final month (or so) of junior hockey. Mitchell Moroz and Jujhar Khaira are signed and will turn pro in the fall, Marco Roy is old enough to turn pro after one season, and Darnell Nurse may force his way onto the NHL roster in September.

These are important games for the Oilers. A large portion  of their future is on display across the country this spring. A deep run—perhaps a trip to the Memorial Cup—means more opportunities to play and develop.

It's also possible that some of the junior kids who will turn pro next season see some action in Oklahoma City, if the Barons can make the playoffs.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 Soccer Steve
March 23 2014, 04:12PM

Who cares?

#2 RexHolez
March 23 2014, 04:12PM

good call lowetide, lets get back to talking about prospects again... good diversion

#3 Rod from Viking
March 23 2014, 04:15PM

How can I watch the SSM Greyhounds, are Sportsnet broadcasting any of them.

#4 Dave
March 23 2014, 04:18PM

cant wait to see how the oilers are gonna ruin these guys careers

#5 6 ring circus
March 23 2014, 04:26PM

I feel sorry for these kids knowing they may someday end up playing for the Oilers and this incompetent management group,if I was one of them,I would be talking to my agent and asking for a change of address to a new team.

#6 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
March 23 2014, 04:28PM

I'd rather watch the Juniors play right now. The pros are just too embarrassing.

LETS GO OIL KINGS

#7 Jay
March 23 2014, 04:39PM

LT,

You need remove comments on your earlier entry today Milo #271

#8 -30-
March 23 2014, 04:40PM

Too all these prospects I would say, enjoy the winning while you can.

#9 TheresAlwaysNextYear
March 23 2014, 04:49PM

bad coaching and bad attitude in the dressing room. im gonna feel bad for our prospects in the future. something needs to be done.

#11 Joe
March 23 2014, 04:52PM

LT,

I see Nurse with fire in his belly doing anything and everything to get better. His compete level is off the chart. That is why Edmonton took him at #7. I worry because Taylor Hall had that fire and the Oilers are sucking it out of him. He has been hurt by Oilers, and many others too.

No easy answers.

#12 Relentless Ineptitude
March 23 2014, 04:56PM

The edmonton oilers are proud to select with the ..........yawn

#13 mesa
March 23 2014, 05:05PM

that missing flight man is something.

#14 Total Points
March 23 2014, 05:16PM

Oilers owner should accept the resignation of 6 rings and others. If Redford can resign when not wanted these guys should be able to walkaway too, we will never get players with these guys around

#15 Chainsawz
March 23 2014, 05:25PM

Imagine what it would be like talking about an Edmonton Oiler playoff series??? Seriously, close your eyes and imagine.

Oh.... Oh my.... Don't stop....

#16 Ed in Edmonton
March 23 2014, 05:46PM

On the topic of ruining prospects, I would suggest the Oiler send Klefblom back to OKC so he is not around for the carnage the next 9 games will bring. Might as well put Larsen back in. I fear a run like the next 9 could shake Klefbloms confidence which might take some time to restore.

#17 OilersDynasty
March 23 2014, 05:56PM

To EDM: Braydon Coburn Luke Schenn Brayden Schenn Robert Hagg Zac Rinaldo

To PHI: Jeff Petry Taylor Fedun Sam Gagner Mark Arcobello 2015 1st round pick

#18 ThatButthurtOilersFan
March 23 2014, 05:58PM

Hide and Seek winner 2007-2014:

Oilers fans playoff hopes

#19 ColourMeImpressed
March 23 2014, 06:02PM
OilersDynasty wrote:

To EDM: Braydon Coburn Luke Schenn Brayden Schenn Robert Hagg Zac Rinaldo

To PHI: Jeff Petry Taylor Fedun Sam Gagner Mark Arcobello 2015 1st round pick

Maybe if Mike Milbury was GM of the Flyers and particularly drunk that day, that trade would happen.

#20 Retsinnab5
March 23 2014, 06:04PM

Who cares, FIRE EAKINS!!

#21 Ed in Edmonton
March 23 2014, 06:25PM

On a positive note, I see the Golden Bears won the university cup today. Congrats.

That's at least two of them since the Oil were last in the playoffs. I wonder how many more U cups before the next playoff date.

#23 Costanza
March 23 2014, 06:26PM

I love how everyone knows what Hall is thinking, how a 20 year old kid is developing and what is happening behind closed doors. I really do love fans passion, but with passion you start to think stupid things....so calm down, relax and enjoy when they win and close your eyes when they lose.

#24 RexHolez
March 23 2014, 06:27PM

LT you're a skilled writer and smart hockey guy. ever thought about covering a professional team?

#25 gm_armchair
March 23 2014, 06:28PM

Love reading about oilers prospects..hate seeing them get ruined in the nhl by a non competent management group.

#26 armchair_gm
March 23 2014, 06:31PM
Lowetide wrote:

Coburn and the Schenns for Marincin, Eberle and something else. That would be my guess. Braydon Schenn is a very valuable guy.

Marincin will be better than any of those players so..hell no!

#29 Rod from Viking
March 23 2014, 06:40PM

Boring Sean Monahan looks like a player but I was so glad he was gone and they picked Nurse, he got better every pre season game and if he would have been 20 he'd have been playing here this year, I thought he was the best d man in camp and I really liked how he knocked guys around( especially the Sedins). He also seems like a quick learner and his academic awards shows he is real smart. Only time will tell but he has size,mean, a decent shot and is an excellent skater, this team has only had one defense man with all those traits in one package for one season(2006). Lowetide, my dad had a different definition of "Spring Fever", he said it was when the iron in your blood changed to lead in your pants(lol).

#30 Serious Gord
March 23 2014, 06:45PM

Seeing these young fresh prospects coming up to the oilers I see Faint faint shades of young 17 year-olds being prepped to ship out to the continent to be thrown into the line late in ww1 under the inept leadership of Haig.

To contemplate the destruction of so much hope and innocence at the hands of this teams Management is enough to make one weep inside.

My advice to whoever the oil draft is to hold out and demand a trade.

#31 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
March 23 2014, 06:51PM

I think Nurse and whoever we draft this year are going to be the new centerpieces they try to build around. I just don't see any way that we are in contention before Hall's contract is up, and I see no future in which Hall re-signs here.

As much as I would love to see Ekblad an Oiler, I think it's more important they draft a centre, preferably one of the bigger ones.

But then again, management isn't changing any time soon, so none of this matters in the least.

#32 Dog Train
March 23 2014, 06:51PM

It's pretty hard to care about this stuff at the moment. I just hope we keep Nurse away from the big club next season. No sense ruining him too.

#33 backup bob
March 23 2014, 06:55PM

@Serious Gord

You made some interesting comments last night.

#34 Chuck Knuckles
March 23 2014, 06:57PM

@mesa

I wonder if they will ever find that plane.

#35 Rod from Viking
March 23 2014, 07:05PM
Serious Gord wrote:

My advice to whoever the oil draft is to hold out and demand a trade.

My advice to whoever the oil draft is to hold out and demand a trade.

Gord do really hate this team?

#36 15w40
March 23 2014, 07:14PM

@Serious Gord

This may not be too far off - it could be coming. I posted that a couple of threads ago about Eckblad or McDavid becoming Lindros 2.0

So much negativity cannot be good for young players.

#37 He Who Knows
March 23 2014, 07:28PM

Sad times indeed.

#38 Serious Gord
March 23 2014, 07:40PM
backup bob wrote:

You made some interesting comments last night.

Thanks for listening. I thought I did okay considering I had 90 seconds.

(Reed and rob are good to me though - no complaints)

#39 Serious Gord
March 23 2014, 07:43PM
Rod from Viking wrote:

My advice to whoever the oil draft is to hold out and demand a trade.

Gord do really hate this team?

What would you tell a kid if he asked you?

For what it's worth, an event like that might be what it takes to galvanize the fanbase against the management and finally precipitate change.

I don't hate the oil - far from it.

I hate the way this team is managed.

#40 Smmkey
March 23 2014, 08:00PM

Lowetide,

Nurse is a beast, but I wonder if you can really break in Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse, and Eckblad in next year?

Secondly if your looking in bringing in size, could you not use Schultz to do that? The list above show that there are hopefully capable defenders in the pipeline, and could we not use Schultz to bring in another pick say 4-8 and use that towards a need such as second line center or size?

#41 Rama Lama
March 23 2014, 08:41PM

A wise man once told me that when you have thorobreds........you let them run. When you have Clydesdales, you make them pull.

When we played Nashville with all of their superstar defencemen, we won. It seems when players abandon Eakis stupid defensive systems that team wins.......when we follow his system their collective skills disappear.

Let our thorobreds run Eakins........I'm tired of your boring defensive hockey systems.

Stop crying about your suit and nice hair and just go away PLEASE!

#42 john
March 24 2014, 01:18AM
Rama Lama wrote:

Stop crying about your suit and nice hair and just go away PLEASE!

I totally agree with you.

Eakins is the wrong coach, he cared about water hitting him and made his jacket wet than his team got beat 8-1. What a cry baby, how can his players respect from a coach? It's just water man.

Time to get a real man in to coach this team.

#43 @Oilanderp
March 24 2014, 09:43AM

If Nurse is playing for the Oil for more than 9 games next season, then MacT has failed.

#44 ceeraig
March 24 2014, 12:13PM

.....advise the new prospects to hold out and pull a lindros?....youre a moron, but hey, i remember quebec/colorado winning that deal....

#45 John Kirsch
March 24 2014, 04:30PM
Soccer Steve wrote:

Who cares?

Exactly...

Anyway stopped watching the Oilers a couple of weeks ago - not worth the mental agony, next up are the Yankees then the NY JETS (See Oilers).

Btw regarding our CHL prospect: The question should be why aren't these guys playing in the NCAA where the competition on the elite level seems to be comparable (playing against older dudes) and the perks ARE way higher lol.

#46 John Kirsch
March 24 2014, 04:37PM
Rod from Viking wrote:

We need a Doctor not a Nurse!

Good God, let the dude develop what is the point in bringing him in next year, for what, to struggle??? He is still a few years away.