RX2 Update & the First Lady at Soup Sisters

baggedmilk
March 24 2014 12:28PM

image (1)

Let the traffic problems begin!

One of things I'll be doing throughout the Spring/Summer is to make my way down to the new arena site and take pictures of the progress that's going on down there. For those of you that don't work downtown, it'll be a way of keeping you up to date on the glorious traffic delays and lack of parking the rest of us get to go through. Here's your March 24th update...

image

I'm not sure what these things do, but they look like a lot of fun. There's probably a half dozen of these ground punchers around and the holes are getting bigger and more numerous. Lots of holes being dug, a lot of guys looking miserable at how cold it is outside. Yes, I'm from Edmonton and yes I'll complain about the wind.

image (2)

There are a lot of piles of dirt laying around and no one will let me get near the fence to take better pictures. When I walked up, the man with the clipboard told me that I wasn't allowed to be there. If it wasn't so cold outside (read: If I wasn't so underdressed for the conditions) I would have stuck around to see what else was going on.

Nothing major to report this week, but there are a lot of big machines scattered around the site and I'll be back to take more pictures when something interesting happens. Worst arena reporting ever? I say yes! And we've only just begun.

Oiler Ladies Lending a Hand to Soup Sisters

SoupSisters

On a serious note, I wanted to give a shout out to the Oiler ladies as they continue their tradition of lending a helping hand in our community. Over the weekend, the First Lady - Jen Scrivens - let us know that Oiler ladies and some wonderful women from the front off office will be making their way to Sunterra Market to lend at hand to Soup Sisters tonight.  What is Soup Sisters?  Soup Sisters is a non-profit organization that produces and packages soup to distribute to those in need in support of WIN House. Soup Sisters believes in the comforting abilities of a warm bowl of soup and in Edmonton we couldn't agree more.

What you need to know...

The ladies will be at Sunterra Market (Commerce Place 201- 10150 Jasper Avenue) from 6-9pm, preparing and packaging soup. The Soup Sisters organization will deliver everything to WIN House who will then distribute it to women and youth in Edmonton. If you want to get involved, visit the Soup Sisters website for your opportunity to help out. All the soup made through Soup Sisters goes to support all three WIN House locations in Edmonton. It is a fantastic organization and we truly encourage you to check it out and offer your support.

94ea28cbbd0f9fe4153692bb3e38b40c
Twitter tyrant for @OilersNation - Resident Jackass - Poor vessel for carrying milk. Follow me on twitter (@jsbmbaggedmilk) - Instagram (@himynameisbaggedmilk) or email me at baggedmilk@oilersnation.com.
#51 David S
March 24 2014, 04:40PM
Wanye wrote:

I WANT KEVIN LOWE TO BE ELECTRICALLY SHOCKED EVERY TIME SOMEONE COMES TO THIS WEBSITE AND READ ONLY ARTICLES THAT ARE ANGRY FOREVER AND EVER. GOD HELP ANYONE WHO INTERFERES WITH MY PLANS

Sorry man. That angle has already been taken by Copper 'n Blue. Those guys are the uncontested KINGS of negativity!

#52 David S
March 24 2014, 04:43PM

How totally cool would an Oilers Nation branded web cam be, hidden somewhere across the street from the project? Some place where Oilers staff would have to hire S.H.I.E.L.D. to find it. Some smart guy might even go up to the roof of the Oilers Nation building and install said mythical camera. Then have the feed running right here on the home site with a scrolling advertiser banner on the bottom.

Hypothetically of course.

#53 Wanye
March 24 2014, 05:00PM
Czar wrote:

Wanye will live forever, he can't die until Ebs scores in the playoffs.

God forbid but if you were to pass away would the autographed Oilernation letter you did the self portrait on be worth some money??

I would assume the answer has to be yes*

#54 Wanye
March 24 2014, 05:01PM
David S wrote:

Hypothetically of course.

WAIT WHAT THERE'S AN OILERSNATION BUILDING!?

*runs to google maps*

#55 The Rock
March 24 2014, 05:06PM
Zamboni Driver wrote:

Request to the ON powers that be.

More than one trash possible for impossibly moronic statements like this.

I'll slap the yella right of your teeth ya jabroni!!!

#56 David S
March 24 2014, 05:08PM
Wanye wrote:

WAIT WHAT THERE'S AN OILERSNATION BUILDING!?

*runs to google maps*

Some might call it the "Oilers Nation Building". Some might call it "The building that houses the world-wide headquarters of the internet behemoth known as "Oilers Nation LLC INC."

Some might say "The buidling entrance Wanye passes out in until security kicks him out".

#57 The Rock
March 24 2014, 05:09PM
A Rye Morning wrote:

It is good to see those hole punchers abide by the code and remove their viso

I'll slap the yella right off of your teeth ya jabroni!!! Ya candy a$$ Rudy poo....

#58 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
March 24 2014, 05:45PM
baggedmilk wrote:

This idea makes a great deal of sense to me. Next update will include a clipboard and a hard hat.

Dont forget your bright orange vest with the reflective striping.

#60 Randaman
March 24 2014, 07:12PM

Has anybody heard how they are progressing with the search for an actual NHL team to play in the new barn?

#61 A Rye Morning
March 24 2014, 07:17PM
Randaman wrote:

If the Saddle Dome floods again the Flames could play there.

#62 Czar
March 24 2014, 07:24PM
Wanye wrote:

I would assume the answer has to be yes*

Sweet! F you Redford, I can still retire at age 85.

#63 Anton (still waiting for playoffs)
March 24 2014, 09:02PM

Maybe with a new arena, that we will finally have a NHL team.

#64 Wonger
March 24 2014, 09:48PM
Joe Mamma wrote:

Is it just me or does Wonger sound like Baghdad Ali during the shock and awe campaign?

I don't know why, but I find it strangely hilarious.

If that's what you're going for Wonger, you nailed it.

I wish I sounded like US General George S. Patton! "We are not retreating, just advancing in a different direction."

#65 Rdubb
March 25 2014, 07:26AM

We in Oil country can handle -30C weather, snow, sleet & a combination of the above, but what we cannot handle is the freaking wind, especially when it's -12C to -15C or colder. I HATE the wind on colder days, it just seems to blow right through a person... The unfortunate thing is that when you listen to all these news stations and the people reporting the weather, they always say "it'll be nice today with sun & a slight breeze", meanwhile it's -15C with a 20kph wind, know what I say to those weather people, go work outside for 8 to 12 years and tell me how freaking nice it is outside. And, unless you're working downtown Edmonton, many others must work outside. And many f those who work outside must work outside when it is the most miserable, such as a power outage, these guys must go outside and work so other can get their power back on, and what do many without power do, bitch and complain that it's taking so long, all the while they are inside a warm home staying dry. The figure because the inside temp dropped to 20.5C that they're in need, or a fireman who has to put out a fire when it's -30C, cannot even imagine what that feels like, poor bastards, but thank you, and hway crews, they are out (in most communities anyways) in early hours cleaning the hways making it safer for us, they are at their busiest when the weather is the worst...& there are many more, thanks to all of you... Sorry for getting of topic, but I figured we needed something else to complain about after Saturdays debacle, and then having to watch that game too... Peck

#66 David S
March 25 2014, 12:22PM

@Rdubb

*Steps back cautiously, looking over shoulder, eying door*

Uhhh...yeahhhh...OK buddy. How's about you have a seat right there and I'll just step out for a second to get someone who can help you with that.

*Bolts*