APRIL FOOLS: SEVEN TO GO

Robin Brownlee
March 30 2014 09:58PM

If there's a silver-lining to the 5-0 speed-bagging the Edmonton Oilers took from the New York Rangers at Rexall Place Sunday, it's that coach Dallas Eakins and his team have just seven games remaining in their dumpster fire of a season and only four of those are at home.

While there's very little new to report in terms of the overall ineptitude and futility that's been fodder for discussion most of this season, the particulars from this no-show included another feeble night by Edmonton's power play, which went 0-for-5 and allowed not one but two shorthanded goals, and failure to score a goal of any kind for the ninth time in 2013-14.

Save for the lucky stiff who won $53,250 in the 50-50 draw, the faithful who hung in long enough to see who won the dough headed for the parking lot sour as the Oilers lost their 20th home game and hit 40 losses overall, dropping to 26-40-9, in the final game of a six-game homestand.

With road games in San Jose, Anaheim and Phoenix before they return home to close out the campaign against the Ducks, Colorado, Los Angeles and the Vancouver Canucks, I can't remember a season – I got to Edmonton in 1989 – in which the fans have been pummeled numb to this degree.

As I wrote that last paragraph, I listened to 630 CHED analyst Rob Brown say he thinks all the changes this off-season will be with players, not with management. All the changes? How many people veered off the road on the drive home when they heard that?

THE WAY I SEE IT . . .

Dallas Eakins 17

• I don't know about you, but I feel my stomach contents rushing up my throat every time somebody refers to the Oilers as this young, exciting club loaded with offensive talent (I've been guilty of that myself a time or two). The Oilers have scored 184 goals in 75 games. Only three teams, Florida, New Jersey and Buffalo, have scored fewer.
  • Eakins, at least, seems to recognize characterizing the Oilers high-powered on the attack is bogus. He addressed it tonight in his post-game availability with media. Addressing it on the ice in the style the team chooses to play is a different matter. Nine shutouts, six of those at home.
  • If the Oilers had a power play that ranked in the top five or six in the league, you could at least make an argument that 13 shorthanded goals against isn't a big deal. When the Oilers are sitting in the bottom third – they're listed 23rd at 16.2 per cent – all those shorties are a big deal. The Oilers need to get back to the drawing board next season and they need somebody new drawing it up when they do.

WHILE I'M AT IT

Nail Yakupov

• After scoring 17 goals in 48 games last season, Nail Yakupov has 11 in 63 games this year and is out with an ankle fracture. I laughed at people who suggested he'd score 35 this season. I had him pegged for 25, which puts me in the ranks of the over-optimistic as well.
  • Speaking of over-optimistic, I wrote after the 41st game that the Oilers would be better in the second half and that I could see them playing at or near .500 (in terms of available points) even with a tough schedule. They'll need one more to match the 62 they got in 2010-11 under Tom Renney and they hit the road 13 off the 74 they had in 2011-12.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#101 Scrivy
March 31 2014, 02:27PM

•After scoring 17 goals in 48 games last season, Nail Yakupov has 11 in 63 games this year and is out with an ankle fracture. I laughed at people who suggested he'd score 35 this season. I had him pegged for 25, which puts me in the ranks of the over-optimistic as well.

Well, he could have scored 30g, if he'd been utilized in a shooting postion on the first pp, which is where you would normally put a world class shooter. But no, never blame the coach, just blame the player and the fans, hey Matty.....err, Brownlee.

#102 TheresAlwaysNextYear
March 31 2014, 03:13PM
#ThereGoesTheOilers wrote:

That picture of Eakins is dying for a caption.

here ya go

and if you don't get it, then watch this first.

#103 JS95
March 31 2014, 03:24PM

I was glad to see an Edmonton pro sports team that actually doesn't lose on the front page of the SUN this morning...13-0.

Congrats to the Edmonton Rush on a historic year...

#104 Edmonton Rush
March 31 2014, 04:03PM

Here's my problems with the Edmonton Rush: The on-floor product is great.

However, from a purely marketing perspective, they have failed.

First, what is a "Rush" exactly, and how does that have anything to do with Edmonton? Oil Rush? Reaching.

Second, bland bland jerseys. People like to buy things that look good. Simple pattern, bright colours - note to Rush Marketing Staff.

#105 Spydyr
March 31 2014, 04:14PM
Edmonton Rush wrote:

Here's my problems with the Edmonton Rush: The on-floor product is great.

However, from a purely marketing perspective, they have failed.

The music during the play keeps me away.

#106 15w40
March 31 2014, 09:18PM
Edmonton Rush wrote:

Here's my problems with the Edmonton Rush: The on-floor product is great.

However, from a purely marketing perspective, they have failed.

This is what is keeping people away from the Rush games??

They have more going on in one season than the Eskimos and Oilers have for the past 8 years combined.

#107 tileguy
April 01 2014, 04:25PM
Spydyr wrote:

The music during the play keeps me away.

Amen to that brother, and little kids dancing on their seats slopping pizza all over the place. Why do they market a great sport as a childrens birthday party?