APRIL FOOLS: SEVEN TO GO

Robin Brownlee
March 30 2014 09:58PM

If there's a silver-lining to the 5-0 speed-bagging the Edmonton Oilers took from the New York Rangers at Rexall Place Sunday, it's that coach Dallas Eakins and his team have just seven games remaining in their dumpster fire of a season and only four of those are at home.

While there's very little new to report in terms of the overall ineptitude and futility that's been fodder for discussion most of this season, the particulars from this no-show included another feeble night by Edmonton's power play, which went 0-for-5 and allowed not one but two shorthanded goals, and failure to score a goal of any kind for the ninth time in 2013-14.

Save for the lucky stiff who won $53,250 in the 50-50 draw, the faithful who hung in long enough to see who won the dough headed for the parking lot sour as the Oilers lost their 20th home game and hit 40 losses overall, dropping to 26-40-9, in the final game of a six-game homestand.

With road games in San Jose, Anaheim and Phoenix before they return home to close out the campaign against the Ducks, Colorado, Los Angeles and the Vancouver Canucks, I can't remember a season – I got to Edmonton in 1989 – in which the fans have been pummeled numb to this degree.

As I wrote that last paragraph, I listened to 630 CHED analyst Rob Brown say he thinks all the changes this off-season will be with players, not with management. All the changes? How many people veered off the road on the drive home when they heard that?

THE WAY I SEE IT . . .

Dallas Eakins 17

• I don't know about you, but I feel my stomach contents rushing up my throat every time somebody refers to the Oilers as this young, exciting club loaded with offensive talent (I've been guilty of that myself a time or two). The Oilers have scored 184 goals in 75 games. Only three teams, Florida, New Jersey and Buffalo, have scored fewer.
  • Eakins, at least, seems to recognize characterizing the Oilers high-powered on the attack is bogus. He addressed it tonight in his post-game availability with media. Addressing it on the ice in the style the team chooses to play is a different matter. Nine shutouts, six of those at home.
  • If the Oilers had a power play that ranked in the top five or six in the league, you could at least make an argument that 13 shorthanded goals against isn't a big deal. When the Oilers are sitting in the bottom third – they're listed 23rd at 16.2 per cent – all those shorties are a big deal. The Oilers need to get back to the drawing board next season and they need somebody new drawing it up when they do.

WHILE I'M AT IT

Nail Yakupov

• After scoring 17 goals in 48 games last season, Nail Yakupov has 11 in 63 games this year and is out with an ankle fracture. I laughed at people who suggested he'd score 35 this season. I had him pegged for 25, which puts me in the ranks of the over-optimistic as well.
  • Speaking of over-optimistic, I wrote after the 41st game that the Oilers would be better in the second half and that I could see them playing at or near .500 (in terms of available points) even with a tough schedule. They'll need one more to match the 62 they got in 2010-11 under Tom Renney and they hit the road 13 off the 74 they had in 2011-12.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#1 Max
March 30 2014, 10:14PM

13 SH goals, wow, that really IS something to be proud of. If this is not enough to get rid of Eakins/Smith/Bucky/Cabot/McGregor/Lowe, then I don't know what is. I am SICK of the Oilers, sick of the empty promises and SICK of the losing. Most of all I am SICK of being an Oilers' fan, and sick of the disrespect the team and management show us.

#3 RexHolez
March 30 2014, 10:20PM

Stop going to the games people

#5 Quicksilver ballet
March 30 2014, 10:36PM

MacTavish has mentioned on a number of occasions, he's satisfied with the progress the team has made under Eakins. Nobody on this staff is going anywhere.

No matter how bad it gets, they just keep backing each other up so nobody loses their job. Their entitlement to the piece of the Oiler revenue pie in this market remains unchallenged. You can't fix stupid when he signs all the cheques.

#6 Big Cap
March 31 2014, 12:37AM

I would give MacT a slight passing grade for the season. Some good moves and some not so hot moves.

However he must realize and acknowledge that his decision to fire Krueger and hire this AHL Blowhard has demolished this team and their confidence and really set everyone's development backwards. There is not one stat we are better in than last year, or one facet of our game that is even slightly improved.

If MacT gave Mr. Fitness his walking papers as well as ALL the assistants and even mumbled out a half apology for hiring Eakins, I for one would forgive him and look forward to a new coach and team system.

We hired an AHL coach and have an AHL team.

#7 Kr55
March 31 2014, 12:22AM

Lots of excuses from Eakins lately. He said the teams mix is wrong and he has to fix it with MacT. Not sure I've ever heard a coach talk that way about his players with 9 games left in a season. Then he's in a nhl.com article saying the team would be better if they played in the East. Then more junk about how the players are still learning the system and how he knows EXACTLY what he needs to do next year. Like Oiler fans need to hear more people from the Oilers org promising better times next year.

Sucks that MacT probably knows he is a dud but doesn't want to embarrass himself by firing him after all the hype he created around him.

#8 Drowning in oil
March 30 2014, 10:35PM

Its funny how many people in this town enjoy continually gobbling up the crap this team dishes out. Katz is a business man and won't do the right thing until he sees a drop in his profit.

People need to wake up and realize THEY are ultimately the ones responsible for the possibility of changes for the better or more of this horse crap called Oiler hockey.

My God, the Rangers are fighting for a playoff spot and they still start their back-up goaltender.

#11 Cold Hard Truth
March 30 2014, 10:49PM

Judging from his open letter, Katz has doubled down on Lowe, while MacTavish has doubled down on Eakins. Talk about the blind leading the blind.

#12 R U Kidding Me!
March 30 2014, 10:45PM

Why again, did the Oilers fire Kreuger?

#13 Quicksilver ballet
March 30 2014, 10:02PM

Sell the farm...

Ekblad and Draisitl or bust! Haven't made the post season in 8 yrs, and it looks as though the Oilers are still 8 yrs from making the playoffs.

#14 Woogie63
March 30 2014, 10:18PM

Need to fire someone significant from the organization, or;

1) Face not attracting a good free agent,

2) Risk the our first rounder asking to be traded,

3) Yak pulling up stakes and going to KHL,

4) One of the core player requesting/demanding a trade.

Katz needs to fire

Lowe, Dallas or MacT .... Getting rid of the training staff will not cut it this time.

#15 Oliveoiler
March 30 2014, 10:16PM

Hello Mr. Katz, is there a light bulb on in that brain of yours? For someone who is such an astute businessman, you sure don't know how to manage a hockey team do you. Wake up, open up, and admit the the f**k up..... AKA Oilers.

#16 Jason
March 31 2014, 03:16AM

@Brownlee

Would you want to have a teacher tell you all of your classmates are stupid, they have been stupid the last 5 years?

Or do you want a teacher make you better and believe in yourselves? Instead of degrading the whole class?

Eakins comment after the game was unacceptable, he said the team has been near the bottom in goals scored last 5 years. It's his job to get them better and score goals. The power play allowed 2 more shorthanded goals tonight, who has the power play here? It's a joke and the fans has to put up with this?

Time to fire this clown Eakins.

Patrick Roy get the Avs the chance win 50 games this season after they finished 2nd worst last year with same young team and unproven Dmen.

No excuses, they just keep on winning.

Eakins can't coach in NHL level, we have seen it this year.

#17 kale
March 30 2014, 10:59PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

When he who sniffs the jocks also signs the cheques, you get what we have here.

Best comment ever!!!!!!!

#18 Ryan
March 30 2014, 11:04PM

Why does eakins refuse to change up the power play. Put out 2 defenceman, shooting from the point like every other power play in the league instead of force feeding the same crop over and over again. I am tired of watching the other team get 2on 1s and breakaways on our power play.

#19 Rod from Viking
March 30 2014, 10:29PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

What the waiting list for season ticket packages looks like this summer means a lot more than empty seats now.

The Oilers are for once concerned about next year renewals, phone calls, surveys and luncheons have told them fans have had enough, I gave my tickets to the fellow that buys my grain tonight, I'm sure he had a great time. I still have all my "Oiler Bucks" and I am going to spend them all on booze at the game against the Ducks next Sunday.

#20 hallsyoilerforever5
March 30 2014, 10:15PM

Can we just skip to the end of the regular season? I rather see GOOD teams play GOOD hockey in the playoffs, than watch the oilers play, while being depressed.

#21 Air on Egg blood
March 31 2014, 02:43AM

The story goes like this: When MacT got the GM job, the first thing he did was reassure Ralph Krueger that his job was safe and that he would get an experienced associate coach to help him. As usual, the first idea was the best one.

But then MacT decides to pull a publicity stunt by hiring the darling of the summer, giving Eakins the head coaching job. With his pals remaining as assistants. That was his way of telling everybody "this his my team!". Oh, and he fired Krueger - a coach well liked by the players - by skype, at a moment when the organization needed to prove they weren't run by a bunch of jerks anymore. Remember Souray? Peckham?

Now MacT didn't do many mistakes as a GM so far. I love what he has done with the goaltending. But his first mistake was huge and probably will cost the Oil next season two. And the worst part, he probably knows it, but he can't do anything about it. Not with the entire media world - TSN and The Hockey News included - saying that he must keep Eakins. Continuity will solve everything apparently, even hunger in the third world. After all, people from Toronto can do no wrong... Is it me, or the last thing the Oilers need is continuity, after this season?

My best guess is that we are stuck with Eakins for at least another half season, when MacT has no choice but to replace him. That sucks.

#22 Al Low
March 30 2014, 11:21PM

The pic of Eakins in this article is so fitting.

#23 R U Kidding Me!
March 30 2014, 10:19PM

The Oilers are so bad I can't even fast forward through the games anymore.

#24 Quicksilver ballet
March 31 2014, 12:13AM

@toprightcorner

What part of rebuild from within don't you understand? You don't think they tried to do the same thing last summer? Their so called "progress" landed them squarely in 29th place this season.

Who are your 4 vets you want to bring in? I hear Danny Heatley is available now. Anybody who can help has already said, thanks, but no thanks to the Oilers.

#25 Loweblows and so does Eakins
March 31 2014, 06:22AM

I see Bruce McCurdy finally included Eakins in his post game review and rated him a 1. So Eakins lovers tell me again why we need him? Tomorrow is April fools but the joke is on us fans every freakin day.

#26 Oiler Al
March 31 2014, 08:19AM

It would appear that Eakins has already had his year end review with MacT, why else would he be spewing all this stuff about how he and MacT will be fixing things this summer moving forward,picking the right players etc etc. Very scary.

He also takes great measure to point out that the team as not been scoring for the last 4 years.. well egghead, thats why you were brought in was to change that... you didnt do it.. not even close.

It will be a tragic if Eakins is not fired at seasons end, along with the other clowns behind the bench.

He just dumped all his player under the bus, to make himself look good.

Not only is he a bad coach , he is a coward.

#27 Arius Mumin
March 31 2014, 03:18AM

Eakins is a tool and a mole.

#28 Pouzar99
March 30 2014, 10:22PM

It is difficult for the serious fan to have any faith in the Oiler organization from top to bottom. Senior management, the coaching staff, the players and the scouts all have failed us again and again, yet most escape responsibility. No doubt some sacrificial lambs, say some of the assistant coaches, but not Lowe or Eakins, will pay for the latest disastrous showing and nothing will change.

A few of the holes may get filled, but it is clear that the 'brain trust' has no idea how to build a competitive team, effectively develop the talent we do have or provide them with the kind of structure and motivation that is reviving the Flames. Nothing is more painful than watching the young talent significantly regress under Eakins, as this train keeps backing up.

I love hockey, and having had the pleasure of being a regular fan haunting the building since the last year of the WHA at least have wonderful memories in the bank, and will hold onto my season tickets despite everything, but under protest.

#29 Sevenseven
March 30 2014, 10:48PM

Heads must role after this season. I cant believe my tax dollars are building these klowens a new arena....

#30 R U Kidding Me!
March 30 2014, 10:58PM

I hear the Oilers had an optional practice yesterday. Optional?!! There should be no such thing with these players anymore.

Every practice mandatory until they stop sucking arse.

#31 Spydyr
March 30 2014, 11:07PM
Ryan wrote:

Have you not heard Eakins says his powerplay will be indefensible.

#32 The Sultan
March 30 2014, 11:24PM
R U Kidding Me! wrote:

Every practice mandatory until they stop sucking arse.

When you have an optional skate, and the only players who participate are (according to this site) "four fringe defensemen, enforcer Luke Gazdig, and an injured Nail Yakupov", well.. I can't even finish that sentence. I'm not an Oilers fan, but wow, what a lack of heart. Disappointing doesn't even describe it.

#33 Bryan in SK
March 30 2014, 10:12PM

Awww, who cares anymore. We haven't had any playoff stress in years, and the only thing that makes it worth going into work tomorrow is the look on the face of Mr. Leaf while he sucks his thumb in the corner. Sure glad Bernier came in and saved the day from Reimer, huh?

#34 hagargt
March 30 2014, 11:26PM

I am starting to think I should start a drug store... how hard could it be?

#35 15w40
March 30 2014, 10:46PM
Woogie63 wrote:

Need to fire someone significant from the organization, or;

1) Face not attracting a good free agent,

2) Risk the our first rounder asking to be traded,

3) Yak pulling up stakes and going to KHL,

4) One of the core player requesting/demanding a trade.

Katz needs to fire

Point #1 - Horse is already out of the barn on this one - they could fire everybody and bring in Scotty Bowman and Jack Adams and there is no UFA worth anything that is signing here.

Point #2 - The risk is real for the undrafted player in 2014 and the risk is also real for many of the so-called franchise players on the roster

Point #3 - Can't see it hampering his development

Point #4 - See Point #2 - although the core would appear to have a worm or be rotten at this point.

This team looks like a comedy sketch from SCTV.

Sooooooooooo BAAAAAD...........

Watching is not even a passing thought any more. Just check TSN for the laugh track AKA "hilights" and come here to bask in the glow of the red hot embers of fans that are looking for the nearest bridge.

I used to care - now its just comic relief.

#36 Spydyr
March 30 2014, 10:46PM

How Lowe can you go?

#37 admiralmark
March 30 2014, 10:58PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

I see at least two changes with the coaching staff next season. I can't imagine Buchberger, Smith and Chabot all surviving this mess.

This sounds like music to an Oiler fans ears. I know ultimately Eakins is responsible for the PP but is it Bucky that runs the PP scheme? I mean Holy bloody Hell!! What a complete cluster F%$@*k this is.

#38 The Crystal Ball
March 30 2014, 11:17PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

1. Oilers fire Chabot in the offseason because he is not part of the old boys club to show the fans they are serious about winning. 2. After starting next year 5-15 they fire Eakins because he is also not part of the Old boys club. 3. Buchberger is named head coach. 4. Buchburger hires Ted Green to fill his old role to run the offence and PP. 5. Fans in an outrage stop going to the games. 6. Oilers finish the year 15-55-12. 7. Katz moves the team to Seattle closer to his home in Vancouver where he, Lowe and the rest of the old boys club live for the next 30 years. 8. Oilers get new team and finally make the playoffs under a fresh team of management.

#39 Walter Sobchak
March 31 2014, 12:29AM

I’m still flabbergasted that Lowe and company aren’t wearing this disaster, rumor has it Lowe & MacTavish took out the book how to build a team version 2.0 by Mike Milbury and used it on the Oilers.

#40 Bloodsweatandoil
March 31 2014, 09:28AM

I have posted some of this at the beginning of the season on ON: Just my thoughts only.....

I feel Eakins was wrong for this team in many aspects and the turning points for resentment by the current players probably started early.

-The hire of him and the embarrassing dismissal of Krueger, the guys respected Krueger and "played" for him

-The Eakins fitness and diet regime, I am pretty sure the guys were in pretty good skating shape prior to his arrival, correct me if I am wrong, but prior to Eakins arrival, I have never heard the Oilers called slow and unenergetic, always quite the opposite...

-Eakins dismantling of the dressing room by removing any reference to past glory and history. If I am a current player for the Oilers and I am walking by those pictures and testaments, that would put some spring in my step to be just like those guys, probably would be inspirational...It would be anarchy in Toronto and Montreal if a newby coach tried that.

-The acquisition of Ference and making him Captain immediately. I think this is where the dominos fell loudly. Out of all the prior Oilers, 4 years or more; Management showed no faith in them and made an outsider the leader. I strongly feel that the "C" should have went to Hall. This was never Ference's team, seems to me that Ference quit being a leader in January.

Swarm this, swarm that, obtuse powerplay etc, combined with Dubnyk totally forgetting how to goaltend, this team was done in October.

Where there is smoke there is fire, Eakins is the root of this seasons demise. He is too much in the players heads, too much dictating and not showing or leading, Eakins is just a great talker. Optional skates for the guys, Eakins in the bleachers during practises/skates on game days. I could see that if the Oilers were in the top 10 of the league, not holding down bottom 3 worst for last 4 years...

Traded Oilers to other clubs not prepared for real practises with their new clubs and stating OMG!! Oiler's practises were never this hard!

As indicated that Eakins is probably back next season and is having input into what players to acquire, he is just admitting that he cannot coach this current group, this tells me that the room is lost or probably has been since September.

#41 hagargt
March 31 2014, 12:37AM
Kr55 wrote:

Kevin will put eakins in the spotlight more and more as the season comes to an end. He will encourage him to make enough comments on the state of the team, that the inevitable contradictions in the direction of the team will show like you are quoting. This is a very simple mis-direction he has been employing since his first year as an F'up.. He can't promote himself any higher than president, so he now needs to throw his underlings out for the dogs. I am in no way an eakins fan, but where the hell is kevin when the screams for his head are at an all time high? He is hiding like the coward he is, hoping that the oilers win another 2 games in a row, or until he can fire another coach to make us all "happy campers" again.

#42 seanjohn667
March 31 2014, 01:04AM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

the least significant pieces.... big surprise. And KLowe will remain comfortable in the corner office. How does he face people at work and in the industry. He's got to know they are snickering the minute he turns his back.

top 5 pick in 2015 in the bag.

#43 Loweblows and so do all the coaching staff
March 31 2014, 06:24AM
Fresh Mess wrote:

That would be text book Lowe/Katz move, pin it on the assistant coaches.

You are wrong. Textbook Lowe would be to blame the stick boy and skate sharpeners.

#44 Dan
March 31 2014, 02:55AM
toprightcorner wrote:

Wow you cant be that sick if your still reading the blogs about the Oilers.

Trading every management member will make less than a 10% difference on this team at the most.

Fire Jones, Joensuu, Lander, Smyth, Pitlick, Gagner, Fraser, Belov and Larsen and replace them, with vets approx 26-29 years of age and toss i a big top 6 winger as well. That will make the biggest difference to improving the team.

I agree they should fire all those players, but first you gotta fire the guy who brought them all here!

#45 Quicksilver ballet
March 30 2014, 11:01PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

They're atleast two years away from seeing a significant amount of unsold seats. Till this happens, the entitlement remains. The fans will continue to be taken for granted.

#46 Walter Sobchak
March 31 2014, 12:09AM

@Robin Brownlee

“Eakins, at least, seems to recognize characterizing the Oilers high-powered on the attack is bogus. He addressed it tonight in his post-game availability with media”

So, I usually never disagree with you but a couple things here.

If Eakins is telling you the Oilers don’t have offensive players, the first thing you should do is completely ignore what Eakins thinks.

The other thing you should be questioning is how can the Oilers score goals when they can’t get out of their own defensive zone? I'm not even sure how he can even assess the full potential of the offensive players?

It doesn’t take an astrophysicist to realize that when you have a team like the Oilers the young skilled guys can’t use their full potential for obvious reasons, in order to use their offense they actually have to be in the other team’s offensive zone.

To make matters worse Eakins is so defensive minded he had Taylor Hall and the rest dumping and chasing for half the year.

On top of all that, the Oilers don’t have the right mix of players to complement the high skilled players.

The Oilers have plenty of offensive skill just waiting to be released, it’s on this Oilers group to actually surround this team with a capable supporting cast.

Good read Robin, but tonight, I'm afraid Eakins has confirmed more in his presser then he has all season about the state of the team and what type of players he wants this team to have............

#47 Time Travelling Sean
March 31 2014, 01:02AM
Big Cap wrote:

We hired an AHL coach and have an AHL team.

Todd Nelson is an AHL coach I wouldn't mind.

Jon Cooper was an AHL coach.

Patrick Roy was a QMJHL coach and they're doing well.

You can't coach around crappy defense and drifting forwards.

If Gagner or Eberle were as committed to defense and understanding systems and where to be, who to cover, and what to do as any other forward on a successful team we might be somewhere.

The Canucks have a very good D but helpless forwards, we have a poor D with helpless forwards.

#48 Chongler
March 30 2014, 11:46PM
R U Kidding Me! wrote:

Why again, did the Oilers fire Kreuger?

A huge Knee-Jerk reaction in an attempt to 1-up Vancouver? I think MacT neglected to see the skilled coach he already had when word was out that a new hotshot rookie coach was looking at making his jump to the NHL. Who better to lead this young team than a young coach? Looks good on paper, but on the Ice? Well....

#49 mlcselli
March 31 2014, 09:32AM

If the players give scathing exit interviews about the coach, his system and his decisions, we have hope for change. If Eakins stays behind the bench next season, then the pile gets higher and the stink gets worse.

#50 shaun
March 30 2014, 10:53PM

I need to stop drinking, I thought I was watching TLC and honey boo boo was on skates and then realized it was TSN