Baggedmilk Live Blogs the Trade Deadline ***UPDATED***

baggedmilk
March 05 2014 08:19AM

BaggedmilkComesToTown

It looks like my first order of business at the Nation is to sit on my ass and watch TV for the day. Life is good. Which Oilers will be traded? How many 4th round picks will we collect? No one knows for sure, but I'm "excited" to find out.

What's Happened So Far

Yesterday, MacT took care of the goaltending part of his to do list with a couple of trades. After only 4 months, #BryzNation is no more. Our favourite Russian Space Lord was traded to the Wild for a 4th round pick and I wish him well unless he is playing against the Oilers. MacT followed up the Bryzgalov trade by scoring Viktor Fasth for a 5th rounder in 2014 and a 3rd rounder in 2015.

Fasth still has another year left on his contract at $2.9 million and should make for a solid running mate with our beloved Ben Scrivens. It'll be interesting to see how they battle for ice time down the stretch. WHO COULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT THE OILERS WOULD HAVE BETTER GOALTENDING THAN THE CANUCKS WHEN YESTERDAY STARTED?!!? One thing is for sure, Vancouver sucks at goalies.

Anyway...

The Likely Candidates

As much as it sucks to say it, Ales Hemsky will likely not be an Oiler when the day is done. I never understood why some people dislike Hemsky so much. He's been a warrior for the Oilers, has played hurt, and was often the best player on a team full of clowns.  The return for Hemsky is likely definitely going to be disappointing and I'll even go so far as to predict a Twitter meltdown when the trade goes down. He scored a beauty goal last night and it bums me out to think about him on another team.

• baggedmilk's prediction: Ales Hemsky for a 2nd and a 3rd round pick

I'd also be willing to bet Wanye's lunch money that Ryan Smyth will be leaving town again. For Smytty's sake, I hope MacT sends him to a contender for a chance to win the Cup. Personally, I'd like to see him re-signed for another year and finish where he started, but the guy deserves a chance to win. If anyone is down to go cry at the airport with me, just hit me up on Twitter.

• baggedmilk's prediction: Ryan Smyth for a 4th round pick and my tears

Next up on your ol' pal BM's chopping block is Nick Schultz. The thing that bums me out about trading Nick Schultz is the fact that the Tom Gilbert trade will likely end up as a late round pick. At the time, lots of people were really into the Gilbert trade (I was too) but now it seems like it was all for nothing. Gilbert is having a solid year #FancyStats-wise in Florida (Jonathan Willis, Lowetide, Tyler Dellow etc. can explain) and now it seems like Nick Schultz will be traded for any asset MacT can grab. Seems like a Tambo trade lost, no?

• baggedmilk's prediction: Nick Schultz for a 6th round pick

Last of my likely moves is another favourite of mine, Ryan Jones.  Jonesy hasn't been the same guy since the eye injury but I'll always love the man with the flow. He gave a lot of effort with not as much skill and he used his carcass to score some goals in his time here. Lots of stats guys disliked him, but luckily I don't know how to math - my guess is that we say so long to the flow today.

• baggedmilk's prediction: Jonesy for a low pick

Hemsky feb

The Gagner/Marcobello Factor

Before the Olympic break, Twitter had Gagner going to the Kings but nothing came from it except getting angry at Kyle Clifford's name. At this point, there's no need to trade Gagner.  He's under contract for a couple more years and he would likely fetch more at the draft. Meanwhile, Marcobello has been lighting things up in OKC and it would seem like he's too good to be playing in the AHL at this point. Can he replace Gagner on the 2nd line? Has Marcobello done enough to make MacT think Gagner is expendable? I can't see it happening right now. In my uneducated opinion, it'll be Marcobello that gets traded today or neither. I think Marcobello deserves a chance in the NHL but I can't see it happening with the Oilers.

• baggedmilk's prediction:  Arcobello for a prospect we'll all have to Google after

The Trades

While you're pretending to work, be sure to keep refreshing this article as I'll be posting live updates of Oilers trades as they happen.  Until then, if you disagree with my trade predictions let me know. If you have a prediction of your own, feel free to share so we can all argue about it. Enjoy the trade deadline, friends - workplace productivity be damned.

• 10:05am - Boston Bruins claims Corey Potter off waivers
  • 10:30am - Ales Hemsky to Ottawa for a 5th round pick (2014) and a 3rd round pick (2015)
  • 10:49am - Former Oiler, Devan Dubnyk has been traded to the Canadiens for future considerations... tough year for Dubnyk
  • 12:23pm - Nick Schultz to Columbus for a 5th round pick **Corrected** -thanks John Shannon

That's all for Oilers trades today. The countdown to the draft lottery begins.

94ea28cbbd0f9fe4153692bb3e38b40c
Twitter tyrant for @OilersNation - Resident Jackass - Poor vessel for carrying milk. Follow me on twitter (@jsbmbaggedmilk) - Instagram (@himynameisbaggedmilk) or email me at baggedmilk@oilersnation.com.
#1 Harry
March 05 2014, 04:22PM

There is a god!! Dont let the door hit you on the a$$ on the way oit Hemsky. FINALLY HES GONE!!

#2 Fauxrumors
March 05 2014, 01:41PM

BOLD MOVES BABY! Stealing those 5th round picks away from the other teams...pretty crafty MacT. Everyone knows the best place to start building a contender is in the 5th round! And taking 50% of Hemmer's salary in that deal...really snuck one by your counterpart on that one! And turned the world upside down in the goaltending department...you successfully managed to have 3 goalies with a total of 70 NHL games under their belt. Man you are crafty! Way to build not only a contender...but I am thinking DYNASTY here!

#3 jl
March 05 2014, 10:26AM

@Fresh Mess

ahhahahaaa, coiler fans were saying late 1st after that performance, ahahahahah

you guys are beyond sucking.

#4 Fauxrumors
March 05 2014, 03:01PM
Bonvie wrote:

The market just wasnt there this year. Last year the market for veterans, pending UFA's was huge, unfortunately our GM was asleep at the wheel, he actually acquired a non-NHL player in Smithson for a 4th pick. If you assess that trade bases on today's values you have to scratch your head and wonder if Tambellina already knew he was fired and was seeking payback.

Yea the Market wasn't there. Calgary got a 2nd rounder for their back up goalie...what MacT get? Calgary got a 3rd rounder for pending UFA Stempniak. The Wings got Legwand for two players and a 3rd round pick. Heck the Canucks even got a 5th round pick for Diaz! And the Panthers got a 3rd and 5th for Goc and didn't have to take on any salary. Easy to see the great deal that MacT go for Hemmer...a 3rd and a 5th and pay 1/2 his salary. What a joke. The value was there...other GMs found it. Apparently in Edmonton BOLD does mean STUPID!

#5 Noooo!!!
March 05 2014, 01:20PM

Couldn't sell Smyth for bag of pucks....there's a surprise. Please,please, let him retire in 19 mores games. He is a thing of the PAST.

And before ON sentimentalists try and whine about what used to be, how did you all enjoy that hooking penalty with less than a minute left in last nights game? How did Mighty Smytty look there? Did you all remember him crying at the airport then, or were you critical of a lazy play like any sane fan would?

He was tired, he stayed on the ice too long, and he didn't have the speed or energy to get back. Because of that he tried to cheat the lost step and hook.That doesn't even take into account that he was 110 feet away from his own goal when he made that decision. He could have easily cost us the game. Anybody else does that, ON is calling for blood.

BRUTAL.

#6 Dave
March 05 2014, 12:02PM

This team is an absolute joke! It's pathetic how pathetic they are! I'm done with this team and mad at my parents for raising me an oiler fan! If I wanted a clown show I'd go to the circus!

#7 bulldog12
March 05 2014, 12:29PM

Hemsky will be in the KHL next year.

#8 oilfan in yyc
March 05 2014, 12:39PM

What a joke, the Oilers got less than nothing in return for Hemsky. If there was no market they should have kept him and let him walk in the summer for nothing. At least with him in the lineup the Oilers have a better chance of winning a game or two which would have done far more for the fanbase and young players than giving the odd AHL call up a chance to show what he can't do in the bigs. I'm disgusted with the management of this team.

#9 Fresh Mess
March 05 2014, 10:27AM

LOL !! AND the Oilers had to retain salary.. LOl

#10 Oilerfan
March 05 2014, 11:09AM
Cain wrote:

HUH?

Was a better joke before Old Retired Guy corrected his spelling. But the sentiment remains the same. Hemsky is and always was an expensive bag of sh!t, at the forefront of a badly run organization. I realize metaphors are a bit tough for a fanbase that thinks "Flames s.uck" is clever commentary.

#11 The Last Big Bear
March 05 2014, 01:14PM

You know what the Oilers really needed to do to finish this season?

To throw in the towel again.

It was extremely important to further reinforce the habit of tanking down the stretch, to get some minimal improvement in draft position (in this case by trading away contributing players for a couple of throw-away draft picks).

This is a team that habitually just doesn't quit, and management made the right decision by once again giving up on the season, and making it clear to the team that they're giving up on the season.

Again.

I mean, what does the team need more, a clear mandate from management that it's time to put a stop to the culture of tanking? Or a 5th rounder or two?

I think we all know the answer to that.

See you all at the draft lottery party.

#12 rob
March 05 2014, 08:46AM

something big is happening today,book it,my guess is ebs or yaks is gone

#13 Fresh Mess
March 05 2014, 10:26AM

MacLooselips recovers the Fasth picks.

This will be a reality slap upside the head for the ON delusionals who thought Hemsky was worth a first.

#14 Senator Theo
March 05 2014, 04:42PM
TDSM31 wrote:

The St.Louis situation today reminded me of how bad a GM Lowe was. He would let have his ego get in the way and would have gotten all vindictive with St.Louis and let him sit for nothing (ie comrie, lupul, pronger, souray, etc). Yzerman handled it like a pro and got great return for his team.

Lowe wasn't even GM during the Souray situation. It seems odd to include him in that list.

#15 TDSM31
March 05 2014, 04:42PM
Harry wrote:

May this receive many Trashes...

#16 pkam
March 05 2014, 11:57AM
Zarny wrote:

Hemsky was never going to resign for 3rd line money. It had nothing to do with what MacT said.

Unless you move Eberle or Yakupov it's simply not economical to resign Hemmer.

I am willing to re-sign Hemsky to 4M for another 2-3 years. Not saying Hemsky will re-sign for this amount, but at least the option is there if MacT didn't make that announcement.

And if we manage to re-sign Hemsky to a reasonable contract, we will have 5 wingers who can play top 6 so we have the depth when one of them get injured. I don't see anyone in our roster or in OKC who can fill that role. We also have the option to trade one of Eberle, Yakupov or Perron (Hemsky can play LW).

It is never a bad thing to have more options.

#17 Quicksilver ballet
March 05 2014, 02:16PM

Here we are 5 yrs into this rebuild. Can anyone claim without any doubt, management has this club better off than they were 5 yrs ago?

Really only 5 or 6 players to claim they're building around. Trusting a rookie GM and rookie coach has them walking blindly in the desert. Things appear to be getting worse with the Oilers being out of it 1/4 the way through this seasons schedule.

#18 Harry
March 05 2014, 06:58PM
TDSM31 wrote:

May this receive many Trashes...

Ya cause a 70 point season and a career high of 25 goals in what seems like 100 years ago is sometging to celebrate. Though he wasnt soft he was lazy and a textbook under achiever.

Good riddance!!!!!

#19 Jeffff
March 05 2014, 03:20PM

Pretty funny MacT explaining the demand increase for Hemsky after last nights game.

Note to MacT you got a 3rd and 5th rounder and you had to eat half his salary.

Huge demand. What a bunch of PR Bull

#20 oilfan in yyc
March 05 2014, 12:56PM

@ghostofberanek

We're still paying 1/2 his salary and received two picks that have about a 25% chance of playing a game in the NHL between them. That isn't something, that is less than nothing. As I said would have been better to keep him the rest of the season and let him walk but apparently you can't read.

#21 NontOilerfan
March 05 2014, 01:08PM

Cmon, don't be so hard on MacT! I'm sure we all went into today hoping for a bold move to try a get the coveted "5th round selection"! Now we have 3 of them!

Its all part of the plan to build the best "Team of Hobbits" that happen to play in a division of Orcs!

Congrats MacKnucklehead, maybe you shouldhve kept your helmet on!!!

#22 still hoping
March 05 2014, 10:53AM

So Hemsky goes for a 3rd and 5th rounder.

What does Ganger go for? Not much based on above.

This just shows us how bad our brain trust in Edmonton is all these years with Lowe in charge.

#23 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
March 05 2014, 12:19PM

Gonna start the Rumor Mill churning.....just read "somewhere" Hemsky coming back to Edmonton in July for Jones and a 4th.

#24 Sam
March 05 2014, 12:11PM

Hemsky for 2 picks that will never play in the NHL. Any good deals on Sens jerseys anywhere??

#25 john
March 05 2014, 10:54AM

Mac T tried to get best deal possible, Pens was in the picture but not willing to give up 2nd pick for Hemsky. So the Sens got him for 3rd and 5th, he's UFA after this season, $5 millions. Not bad, we need depth in more picks. Stop complaining people, Red Wings had many of the pieces in later rounds, so you never know some gems are still there in later rounds.

#26 Oilerz4life
March 05 2014, 11:34AM

5th round pick. Mac-T was fleeced in that deal. Better than nothing...actually nothing is actually more than that. A fifth round pick is crap. All this talk of a 2nd or 3rd round pick at the draft. I would like to think they could hold out for more than that. What gives? I wonder what Bob McKenzie would have to say.

#27 Lofty
March 05 2014, 04:13PM

1) Who cares if the oil eat 100% of Hemsky's salary. The only person that should have an issue with it should be D. Katz. The season is a wash for the organization and the contract is over in 4 months.

2) I question the gamble of Hemsky playing last night. Had he got hurt (again) they would have got nothing for him. I don't see last night increasing his value to where it was worth the gamble.

#28 Rama Lama
March 05 2014, 08:46AM

I for one do not want to trade Hemsky for a 2nd rounder. Sign the warrior for another two years and trade him later.......everyone knows this guy is a better bet than than most of the players mentioned in trade deals so far.

Mac T will do the right thing today.

#29 Oilerz4life
March 05 2014, 10:15AM

Sad to think the Oilers have pooled all this talent and now have to give it away for magic beans. When are we going to see this $#!+ show get their act together and start to put a winning team together. Same old story. For all we know bold moves won't be able to score any defense in the offseason and we'll be worse off again next year. This rebuild sucks. It really, really sucks.

#30 Oilerfan
March 05 2014, 10:42AM

Alice for cr@ppy picks. Sounds about right. Cold splash of water, Oiler fan.

#31 BobbyCanuck
March 05 2014, 01:10PM
Dave wrote:

I wonder how much salary Oilers have to eat if they Trade Gagner.

I would estimate around $6 Million

#32 Noooo!!!
March 05 2014, 01:28PM

Smyth to Stoney Plain.

#33 The Last Big Bear
March 05 2014, 03:22PM

Huh.

Brian Burke got more assets for the Flames' backup goalie than the Oilers did with their entire sell-off.

#34 Smokey
March 05 2014, 06:56PM
Lofty wrote:

They got nothing...who cares if he got hurt, other then for Ales' sake. He was worth a second or not at all. Great asset management.

#35 Oilers21
March 05 2014, 10:32AM

Unless I'm missing something, we just basically gave Hemsky away. Not even a SECOND rounder??

#36 MWA1991
March 05 2014, 11:11AM

The problem with the trade is the money. I get that he couldn't squeeze a 2nd rounder. I also get the 3rd in 2015 because from what everyone else is saying, it's a deeper draft. Although with MacT giving all the 2014 picks, I'm not sure they even need to show up draft day 2014. But take half of the salary is insane. It boils down to the Oil paid the Senator for a Top 6 forward. That's atrocious.

Sens get a Top 6 plus $580,000 for a 3rd and a 5th whose chances of becoming full time NHL players are slim to none.

He wasn't going to resign here. I get we had to get something. But that money really twirks me.

#37 Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy!
March 05 2014, 11:32AM
chris wrote:

Ganger is an awful player. lazy, dosen't backcheck, follows the puck in the defencive, and always out of position, not to mention He never throws a hit and is week on the puck, and sucks in the faceoff. He is worth nothing and we should glady give the space he takes up on the bench to a warm body that can throw a hit. ganger trade for omarks cup and a bag of pucks. nothing less

My feeling exactly!!

Met him once. And I must say, he's a stand-up dude. Very down to Earth and very friendly. Unlike some other Oilers.

Nonetheless, he can suck a bag of d***s when it comes to playing hockey. Get him the **** outta here!!

#38 vetinari
March 05 2014, 12:41PM

How dare I double post!!!! Rude!!! Trash trash trash...

#39 TDSM31
March 05 2014, 04:37PM

#40 Gored 1970
March 05 2014, 10:40AM

A player is worth only as much as another team is willing to pay. Obviously Hemsky's value wasn't close to what Oiler fans expected. Ottawa got him for a 3rd and a 5th pick which is just one up from a bag of pucks.

#41 chris
March 05 2014, 11:29AM

#42 Bob Cob
March 05 2014, 11:50AM
The Last Big Bear wrote:

I'm a Flames fan, and even I expected Hemsky to fetch more than that.

But man, this trade deadline has been absolutely BRUTAL for selling teams. Marty St Louis being the big exception so far, but otherwise established NHL vets are being moved for late round picks.

I was a little worried that the Oilers seemed to be on a string of good deals, after signing Scrivens to a solid contract and acquiring Fasth. Thankfully, selling Hemsky for pennies on the dollar was a combo breaker there.

Now I continue chewing my nails to see what Burke does.

You're an idiot, makes sense that you're also a Flames fan. Hemsky was never going to get more than that. He has an expiring contract, he'll be a rental in Ottawa, he has been injury prone, and Mac T hurt his tradeability by saying last summer the Oilers were looking to trade him. Add in to that the fact the Oilers had to eat a chunk of his contract for the rest of the year and they were lucky to get as much as they did for Hemsky.

#43 Robert (AKA Hockey Fan)
March 05 2014, 12:42PM

I'm liking the picks. Best we restock the shelves with some youth that can skate, check, punish and can score the odd goals. Size is a good thing!

#44 ghostofberanek
March 05 2014, 01:55PM
Fauxrumors wrote:

(sigh) Can this site be made accessible only to people over the age of 15, who have the slightest clue about what they're commenting on?

Yes, we get it, MacTavish stated a desire to make bold moves to improve the team. Please understand the line between "bold" and "stupid" is a very fine one. Thank god he's not crossing that line to appease all the know-it-all kids on Oilersnation.

#45 Blucifer Copperballs
March 05 2014, 02:45PM
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Just looking at the structure of the Goc deal.....3rd in 2015 5th in 2014....makes me wonder if MacT was going back and forth on Hemsky between Pittsburgh and Ottawa?

Gotta think ( at least hope) MACT would have dealt Hemsky to PIT over OTT for the difference in years. 3rd and 5th round picks are long shots, regardless, so i would hope he'd put Hemmer in the best position for a cup run.

#46 YEGFan
March 05 2014, 02:52PM

I think the GMs of the league (especially in Minnesota) will quickly come to regret their over valuing of Moulson and under valuing of Hemsky.

I'm glad it will be to Ottawa's benefit and a team in our division's downfall.

#47 gk1980
March 05 2014, 05:24PM

So, MacT is setting himself up for this summer, hopefully he is smart and build this team properly this summer. He has the room and the money. This might be the Oilers biggest summer yet. Even if they overpay, at this point. Just get our Suter and Parise. JUST DO IT! ITS NOT MY MONEY!

#48 Dave
March 05 2014, 09:07AM

Did the Oilers downfall start when they drafted Gagner? He is just bad Karma. Please Karma gods allow Sam to be traded and release us from the curse.

#49 Zarny
March 05 2014, 10:09AM
Spydyr wrote:

Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

If it's obvious why on earth would the Oilers actually dress her?

#50 Fresh Mess