That's... not a good sign

Jonathan Willis
March 09 2014 10:57PM

30-Scrivens-5

The Edmonton Oilers have not been a particularly stingy defensive team over the last five or six seasons, which is something like saying that winter in Canada isn't especially balmy. But even against that bar, this year's edition of the team is primed for record-setting badness in at least one category.

Shots Against 

Shots against

The chart above shows two things: the number of games per season where the Oilers surrendered 40-or-more shot, and the number of times the total was 50-or-more. The numbers for 2012-13 have been projected over an 82-game schedule, as have the numbers for this season. 

Against Los Angeles on Sunday, the Oilers allowed 50+ shots against for the second time this season. It's the first campaign since 1994 where the team played more than one game in which they allowed that many shots on net, and with 17 games left to play Edmonton is on pace to match the franchise's all-time high for games allowing 50-or-more shots in a single season (in 1992-92 the team did it three times).

The Rebuild

Dallas Eakins 18

It's more than fair to wonder about the state of the Oilers' rebuild at this point. This season's group hasn't had better results than Tom Renney's crew in 2011-12, and the decision to can Ralph Krueger (keep in mind that his team only played games against Western opponents) has not had results.

We can talk about shot quality, as Dallas Eakins has in recent days, but the reality is this: when a team allows shot after shot after shot, it means they're pinned in their own end. That can be mitigated a bit by allowing low quality shots, and it can be further alleviated by tremendous goaltending (as Ben Scrivens has so excellently demonstrated lately). But hanging around in the defensive zone is a recipe for disaster.

Eventually, bad things will happen. Eakins described the puck deflected in off Philip Larsen as a heart-breaker; it's true, but that's what happens to teams that hang around in the defensive zone. 

And the worst part is that things are getting worse. Via ExtraSkater.com, the following chart shows Edmonton's 10-game rolling Fenwick rating in 5-on-5 situations. That's a fancy way of saying that the line shows the percentage of unblocked shots Edmonton is taking at evens while the game is still within reach:

Edmonton Oilers 2013-2014 rolling 10-game 5v5 close FF%

They're winning games now, but that's only because Ben Scrivens is playing like Dominik Hasek. That can't last; it's good that he's capable of it but it's not enough to keep the team winning. And despite the wins, that chart is a decent argument that things are getting worse. Or, you know, the 50 shots Edmonton allowed against Los Angeles. 

That strong goalie play is masking extremely serious problems, or at least generally it's doing so. Sometimes, as with Sunday's game, even incredible goalie performances aren't enough because the team in front of that goaltender is being lit up like a Christmas tree by competent opposition. 

RECENTLY BY JONATHAN WILLIS

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, Sportsnet, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#1 Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy!
March 09 2014, 11:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
91
cheers

So... hard... to... watch........
So... much... suck........

Avatar
#2 Say what again
March 09 2014, 11:06PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
87
cheers

What did we do to deserve this?

Avatar
#3 ThatButthurtOilersFan
March 09 2014, 11:07PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
83
cheers

Drinking Game!

Step 1: Get vodka

Step 2: Take a shot whenever the Oilers a) Turn the puck over b) Fail a toe drag c) Petry misses his man and d) The Oilers get scored on when Yakupov's on the ice.

Step 3: Die because you've had too much alcohol and your liver failed.

Avatar
#4 Errol
March 09 2014, 11:12PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
69
cheers

Oiler fans have so many expectations but the reality is Oilers are barely an NHL team.

Avatar
#5 bwar
March 09 2014, 11:17PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
57
cheers

But don't worry everyone, the team will totally be fixed by next season.

Avatar
#6 Muji
March 09 2014, 11:22PM
Trash it!
31
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers

Advanced stat guys were saying the same thing about the Leafs earlier this season. That they were allowing WAY too many shots and that their winning ways were not sustainable. That the Leafs would eventually plummet to the bottom of the standings. Now, the Leafs aren't world-killers, but they've been relatively good this year and are competitive for a playoff position.

I'm not saying that the "Oilers will be fine!" (they probably won't be) or even that "the Oilers aren't that bad" (they're actually pretty damn bad..), but I am saying that shots against and some other advanced stats aren't enough to be 100% predictive of future games.

Avatar
#7 Naky
March 09 2014, 11:23PM
Trash it!
22
trashes
Cheers
18
cheers

Haven't you read the comments of these articles lately? Trade away Gagner for third and a fifth like Hemsky (because that's at most what you're going to get unless we eat all of his salary) and all of our problems at forward are fixed. Oh, and recall Arcobello to replace one smallish 2nd line center with a smaller one. Oh, and fire Eakins.

Think that about sums it all up? Did I leave anything out? Seems like that's all I read these days so forgive me if I missed anything small that fell between those big cracks.

Avatar
#8 Kevin
March 09 2014, 11:25PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
52
cheers

With all the draft picks Oilers have had in the last 8 years you would think the team would slowly get better. But they are getting worse. I don't think it is the players they picked so much , I think it comes down to management's formula to win in the NHL. It has been so wrong.

Avatar
#9 Andrew
March 09 2014, 11:29PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
36
cheers

You are watching and paying through the nose for AHL level hockey. With Katz holding the pink slip and KLowe and Mac running the show I am surprised that anyone who cheers for the Oil are surprised at the result.

I would say that at least 4 of the top 6 suck and the others simply blow! By the time the drafted D get to the show, if they do, the bottom 6 will be succumbing to old age and the top 6 will be moving on as free agents hoping to play for a winning organization.

I wouldn't go to an Oiler's game with a free ticket. As a matter of fact a local company can't get anyone to take their tickets for free unless the person is cheering the visiting team. I can't believe these aholz have brought this proud tradition to such an ignominious ending. A pox on the tools who have created this mess.

Avatar
#11 SRELIOFAN
March 09 2014, 11:39PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
41
cheers

I just want this season to be over... It's torture.

Avatar
#12 Jiri Slegr
March 09 2014, 11:43PM
Trash it!
19
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers

In case anyone wonders why we lost: Their Team Leaders Are: Kopitar Age 26 Marian Gaborik Age 32 Jeff Carter Age 29 Mike Richards Age 29 Dustin Brown Age 29 Drew Doughty Age 24 Robin Regehr Age 33 Matt Green Age 30

Oilers Team Leaders Are: Taylor Hall Age 22 Jordan Eberle Age 23 Ryan Nuge Age 20 Nail Yak Age 19 David Perron Age 25 Justin Schultz Age 23 Jeff Petry Age 26 Andrew Ference Age 34

Not matter how many times we bat this thing around, there is still this blatant fact. Theres too many young ones. If this core stays, we have to be patient because only time will make it better. Think of our mindset at age 20. Hard to be a professional that young.

Avatar
#13 Soccer Steve
March 09 2014, 11:55PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
47
cheers

It's very strange, this.

After years of complete ineptitude under the Tambo regime I feel like there is finally some serious, fruitful gains being made by our new GM.

Yet the team sucks worse than it ever has.

Avatar
#14 toprightcorner
March 10 2014, 12:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Muji wrote:

Advanced stat guys were saying the same thing about the Leafs earlier this season. That they were allowing WAY too many shots and that their winning ways were not sustainable. That the Leafs would eventually plummet to the bottom of the standings. Now, the Leafs aren't world-killers, but they've been relatively good this year and are competitive for a playoff position.

I'm not saying that the "Oilers will be fine!" (they probably won't be) or even that "the Oilers aren't that bad" (they're actually pretty damn bad..), but I am saying that shots against and some other advanced stats aren't enough to be 100% predictive of future games.

Toronto has also scored 30 more goals than the Oilers, that's about 10 more wins worth of games. If a team can consistently have better goal tending than their opponent as well as score a lot of goals then you can survive getting outshot.

The beginning of the season the OPilers could score but couldn't stop tehe puck, now they can stop teh puck but can't score, both ends have to work to have a winning team.

Avatar
#15 Mr common sense
March 10 2014, 12:06AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
48
cheers

Eakins is in over his head, it's quite obvious. His "I'm going home to drink a bottle of scotch and be back at the office at 5am " routine isn't fooling anyone.

Avatar
#16 james_dean
March 10 2014, 12:12AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
21
cheers

My friend asked me on thursday, " want to go to the game? Theres 10$ tix on stubhub."

Sorry, I replied type 2 fan here. Need free tickets and free oiler bucks to watch that

Avatar
#17 toprightcorner
March 10 2014, 12:14AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers
Kevin wrote:

With all the draft picks Oilers have had in the last 8 years you would think the team would slowly get better. But they are getting worse. I don't think it is the players they picked so much , I think it comes down to management's formula to win in the NHL. It has been so wrong.

Normally that is true, but with most other teams, they have a line up with 70% with 5+ years of NHL experience, 25% 2-5 years experience and a couple rookies. Over half of the Oilers roster has less than 5 years experience an out of those players not many have been mentored by solid veterans of the same skill set to teach them how to play in the NHL.

A team could have the first pick over all for 6 straight years and still not have a competitive team cause those players are all offensive minded and never had to worry about playing a full 200 foot game.

A team needs to rely on the draft to develop players but you can't build a winning team strictly through drafting. If there are no veterans don't lead and teach the young players then in 2 years you have young players who were not brought up properly teaching the new young guys and it is a vicious circle, the blind leading the blind.

Avatar
#18 toprightcorner
March 10 2014, 12:26AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

JW, I have heard Eakins talk in the past about looking at the scoring chances for and against based on the criteria that they have laid out. Do you know what that criteria is? Is it based on league standard criteria or is it very specific and different?

I ask only becasue I wonder if the Oilers are focusing to getting more scoring chances instead of generating more shots and traffic towards the net, hence, too many fancy plays for a top notch scoring chance than never materializes instead of letting a simple shot create a scoring chance.

I beleive that scoring chances are much more important than just tracking shots but shots themselves tend to create scoring chances through rebounds, screens and deflections and they probably make up over 50% of the goals scored in the NHL.

Avatar
#19 Gk1980
March 10 2014, 12:42AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

This team is like a featuring wound that just keeps bleeding. What the heck is management gonna do to stop it? Is there an answer? What is the solution?

Avatar
#20 Walter Sobchak
March 10 2014, 12:46AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
23
cheers

The only good thing about this season was Soshi.........Plus the Canucks & Flame's suck too.

Avatar
#21 Gk1980
March 10 2014, 12:48AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Jiri Slegr wrote:

In case anyone wonders why we lost: Their Team Leaders Are: Kopitar Age 26 Marian Gaborik Age 32 Jeff Carter Age 29 Mike Richards Age 29 Dustin Brown Age 29 Drew Doughty Age 24 Robin Regehr Age 33 Matt Green Age 30

Oilers Team Leaders Are: Taylor Hall Age 22 Jordan Eberle Age 23 Ryan Nuge Age 20 Nail Yak Age 19 David Perron Age 25 Justin Schultz Age 23 Jeff Petry Age 26 Andrew Ference Age 34

Not matter how many times we bat this thing around, there is still this blatant fact. Theres too many young ones. If this core stays, we have to be patient because only time will make it better. Think of our mindset at age 20. Hard to be a professional that young.

And this is Tambo's failure!!! He never knew how to put a proper supporting cast for the "KIDS"being drafted and thrown into the freaken fire. "Here rookies, take that hill!". It isn't going to fly. This is still an issue and I think mactavish recognizes this and will try to bring in the right guys. At least I hope so, us mere peasants can see this!

Avatar
#22 Gk1980
March 10 2014, 12:50AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers
james_dean wrote:

My friend asked me on thursday, " want to go to the game? Theres 10$ tix on stubhub."

Sorry, I replied type 2 fan here. Need free tickets and free oiler bucks to watch that

You missed out man! Prime minister of freaken ICELAND was there!!!!!

Avatar
#23 J.R.
March 10 2014, 12:51AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
31
cheers

Coaching sucks. Execution is one thing but where is the system play? Guys out of position in the defensive zone was so brutal to watch tonight.

What is the strategy? All defenders pile into the slot?

Lame. Oh and fire Eakins.

Avatar
#24 brad
March 10 2014, 01:00AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

I want to like Eakins, I really do. Cuz you know... I'm a Canadian and that's what we do! But it is getting hard. And since MacT seems to like him I hope this is a rough learning curve that will greatly benefit us in the coming years.

MacT has realistically helped the team take great strides in the players he has brought in. Eve nthe moves that haven't helped as he wanted have shown he's trying every avenue to get us where we need to get to. The issue is reliable Dmen are the rarest type of commodity in the league and no teams really have an excess to offer up. So we wait to see how this impass gets resolved. If only Nurse was 2 yrs further in developement. Which with his draft age is impossible I know.

Avatar
#25 Al Low
March 10 2014, 01:03AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
37
cheers

If there's one thing I'll give Mr Fitness, it's his stubbornness. He refuses to move on his 1-3-1 PP system which completely blows. There's absolutely no structure to anything they do out there -- wasn't structure the reason Coach Eakins was brought in. He's in way over his head. He may not have the personnel but the team's never looked worse than they have in this so-called rebuild. We really are the Brooklyn Islanders of the West. Unreal. Yeah, 6Rings, it's only been 4 years but I'm tired of the circus you and Katz have created.

Avatar
#26 mesa
March 10 2014, 01:15AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
17
cheers
Walter Sobchak wrote:

The only good thing about this season was Soshi.........Plus the Canucks & Flame's suck too.

the flames suck but we suck doing it on our knees.

Avatar
#27 toprightcorner
March 10 2014, 01:17AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Jiri Slegr wrote:

In case anyone wonders why we lost: Their Team Leaders Are: Kopitar Age 26 Marian Gaborik Age 32 Jeff Carter Age 29 Mike Richards Age 29 Dustin Brown Age 29 Drew Doughty Age 24 Robin Regehr Age 33 Matt Green Age 30

Oilers Team Leaders Are: Taylor Hall Age 22 Jordan Eberle Age 23 Ryan Nuge Age 20 Nail Yak Age 19 David Perron Age 25 Justin Schultz Age 23 Jeff Petry Age 26 Andrew Ference Age 34

Not matter how many times we bat this thing around, there is still this blatant fact. Theres too many young ones. If this core stays, we have to be patient because only time will make it better. Think of our mindset at age 20. Hard to be a professional that young.

Completely agree, and some of those King vetrans had players like Blake, Robitaille, Handzus, Visnovsky, Gagne, Pronger, Briere, Forsberg and Knuble there to teach them the ropes, how to compete hard and what it takes to win in the NHL. Then after 5 years of expireince they could do the same to the next generation like King, Voynov, Toffoli and Muzzin.

Right now we have Hall, Ebs and Nuge trying to lead the offence and they learned from Penner, Hemsky and a drastically declinging Horcoff. 2 weren't leaders and Horcoff, though a good role model, but not for an offensive player. All during the "bad culture locker room".

For defense, you have Petry (220 games) who had all of Whitney for a role model coming into the NHL and then you have nebies Schultz and Marincin, Larsen and Fraser (170 games) Ference is a great leader and mentor but he can't take on all of the work. Basicall 5 of your 6 dmen have less than 5 years expireince and 3 of those less than 1.5 seasons experience.

We have Smyth, Gordon and Hendrick who are grat role models like that but much harder for them to relate that to highly skilled players like Hall, Ebs, Nuge and Yak.

You can't have young players will lots of developing to do to metor the new guys coming up unless you want a disaster on your hands.

Avatar
#28 mesa
March 10 2014, 01:20AM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

will i am on board re firing the head coach.LA had the game from the start and we suckered punched and the head coach does not want to lose the power play.lose the game fighting man.the fans would loved that .

Avatar
#29 Serious Gord
March 10 2014, 01:28AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers

Katz should play spin the bottle with Lowe, Eakins, MacT and himself. Whoever it points at leaves the organization. If he's not going to make someone accountable for this disaster he can let the bottle do the dirty work for him.

The departure of any one of the four will improve the team because regardless of which one goes, Eakins gets fired. The higher up the corporate ladder the one selected is the better and more complete the changeover is.

...

The oil have only beaten one of the top sixteen teams seven times this season - about 20% win rate if my numbers are correct.

They play 12 of the remaining 17 games against that group.

If they continue to suck as bad as they have thus far they will finish with maybe 14 more points (maybe) for a total of 66 the worst record in franchise history besides 09-10 and 10-11.

Put another way that would mean that the top three worst records in franchise history have all occurred in within the last six seasons.

And KLOWE still has a job with the oil.

Only the NYI have management that is competitively arguably as bad as the oil, but that is an argument where all of the recent stats Favour the oil.

Avatar
#30 toprightcorner
March 10 2014, 01:35AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
27
cheers

I remember whe the Oilers brought in Oates just before Christmas in 2003/04 and he worked hard on teaching guys how to take faceoffs and could teach younger offensive guys like Hemsky, Horcoff Stoll and Smyth, I recall MacT saying in an interview what a difference Oates made to the team about winning and they had brough in Oates to do Just that.

Hemsky, Smyth, Horcoff, Stoll and Torres all had career years the following year. Stoll, Horcoff and Reasoners faceoffs jumped dramatically and I beleive set up the younger guys with the desire to compete and make the cup run the next NHL season after the lockout. All of your offensive forwards don't all chance overnight and have their career year at the same time without influence and I beleive that to be Adam Oates. All but Hemsky had also developed the defensive part to their game that wa lacking. You bring in Pronger and Peca that year and it was a whole new team because of the changes the players made to compete each and every night.

If the Oilers could convince a player like that, at the end of his career to come for just a year to extend ther carreer with the idea of having him mentor that team I think that would make a huge difference. I think Jagr could teach this team a ton on working hard and commitment and realate to the offensive guys. He also seems willing to play almost anywhere so if you offered him the same contract or a touch more for a year could be the best short term investment they have ever made. Other options could be Jovanovski, Iginla, Dan Boyle and Bertuzzi. Heck , sign them and tell them you will even trade them to a contender at the deadline if the Oilers are no in a playoff position. 60 games (what Oates played) could go a long way to righting the ship and and teaching the comete and commitment it takes.

Jagr made a measly $2 mill this season $4.5 the previous aft scoring 54 points, I would give him $4 - $4.5 for 1 year cause his work ethic and commitment to the game and practice will change some of these young guys around. He has a few more attainable milestones so I see him wantong to play another year. Philly's and Stars and even Bruins all commented on the positives he brout to the room and work ethic while there.

Jagr could be the Coles Notes of teaching this team how to compete, practice and commitment to improving.

Avatar
#31 toprightcorner
March 10 2014, 01:51AM
Trash it!
17
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
J.R. wrote:

Coaching sucks. Execution is one thing but where is the system play? Guys out of position in the defensive zone was so brutal to watch tonight.

What is the strategy? All defenders pile into the slot?

Lame. Oh and fire Eakins.

Execution is not one thin, it is everything. Eakins system does not tell all players to pile in the slot or the dman to chace a player by going behind the net or drop pass at the blue line. Every mistake that is made that goes into the net is becasue the DIDN'T follow the system. It is plain as day to see when your watching them and when their mistake ends up in the back of their net you can see it in their eyes that not only did they scre up but they didn't do what they were told to do.

Any type of system can have success, thats why most teams can play a different one nad can succeed. The difference is how well the players execute the system and right now nobody on this team can execute this system for an entire game. They eaithr don't have the brains, the ability, the buy in, or compete level. The other biggest one is none of the offensive players have ever truley been taught how to play a 2 way game in thier lives. If that was being taught in the organization over the last 5 years, Hall, Eberle and Gagner would not be so terrible at it today.

Its like raising your kids and letting them do everything they wanted without repercussions as long as they made their bed and then suddenly at the age of 16 you tell them you can't do half of the things you used to be able to do and now you have to cut the grass, do the dishes, shovel the snow, vacuum and dust the house, wash the clothes and put new shingles on the house or you can't leave you room. It is idiotic to think that will work.

This is a problem Eakins inherited, not one that he caused. Sure he may end up not being the best coach but blaming him for the lank of implementing development structure within the team for development and two way play and everyone working on their weaknesses, Eakins had to start 5 steps behind what he thought he would cause ther were no where near ready enough to do even the simple defensive things.

When Eakis said that when he asked guys in training camp to start with a baisic defence, nobody knew what that was or though it was something different. That is a problem Eakins inherited, he didin't casue it but know he is trying to fix and unbreak the bad habits that they got over the past 4 years.

Avatar
#32 toprightcorner
March 10 2014, 01:55AM
Trash it!
33
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

I wis people wpuld dtop posting to fire Eakins. MacT said publicly he will be the coach next year so stop with the "Fire Eakins" chants. ITs getting worse than the Omark and Schremp lovers.

If at 30 games next year and MacT has filled a bunch of the holes and the team is no better, barring multiple injuries you can come out again and wave the fire Eakins flag. Until then it is just annoying and makles zero difference.

Fire assistant coaches? Heck I will join you on that banwagon!!

Avatar
#33 LoweBlow
March 10 2014, 02:26AM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Cheers
46
cheers

Fire Eakins.

Avatar
#34 **
March 10 2014, 02:30AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

So, am I allowed to say now that hiring Eakins was a mistake and that this is the beginning of a new rebuild? or do I wait for Scrivens to break his old saves record?.

It's good that the stats support what we see in the games, now the million dollar question: what's the cause? or causes?, and after that, what are the solutions?.

Avatar
#35 **
March 10 2014, 02:34AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Muji wrote:

Advanced stat guys were saying the same thing about the Leafs earlier this season. That they were allowing WAY too many shots and that their winning ways were not sustainable. That the Leafs would eventually plummet to the bottom of the standings. Now, the Leafs aren't world-killers, but they've been relatively good this year and are competitive for a playoff position.

I'm not saying that the "Oilers will be fine!" (they probably won't be) or even that "the Oilers aren't that bad" (they're actually pretty damn bad..), but I am saying that shots against and some other advanced stats aren't enough to be 100% predictive of future games.

The leafs are an outlier. Just like the game when Scrivens broke the record was. You can't say that if Scrivens stops 58 shots very game the Oilers will have a better chance at winning. In the same manner you can't say the other teams in the league will have a better chance at winning if they get outshot as often as the leafs do.

Avatar
#36 **
March 10 2014, 02:35AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

MAybe Phillip Larsen is best suited to be a winger. He is just brutal as a d man. And I'm not talking just about that own goal, he almost cost the Oilers the game against the Islanders.

Avatar
#37 Anton
March 10 2014, 03:00AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers
toprightcorner wrote:

Execution is not one thin, it is everything. Eakins system does not tell all players to pile in the slot or the dman to chace a player by going behind the net or drop pass at the blue line. Every mistake that is made that goes into the net is becasue the DIDN'T follow the system. It is plain as day to see when your watching them and when their mistake ends up in the back of their net you can see it in their eyes that not only did they scre up but they didn't do what they were told to do.

Any type of system can have success, thats why most teams can play a different one nad can succeed. The difference is how well the players execute the system and right now nobody on this team can execute this system for an entire game. They eaithr don't have the brains, the ability, the buy in, or compete level. The other biggest one is none of the offensive players have ever truley been taught how to play a 2 way game in thier lives. If that was being taught in the organization over the last 5 years, Hall, Eberle and Gagner would not be so terrible at it today.

Its like raising your kids and letting them do everything they wanted without repercussions as long as they made their bed and then suddenly at the age of 16 you tell them you can't do half of the things you used to be able to do and now you have to cut the grass, do the dishes, shovel the snow, vacuum and dust the house, wash the clothes and put new shingles on the house or you can't leave you room. It is idiotic to think that will work.

This is a problem Eakins inherited, not one that he caused. Sure he may end up not being the best coach but blaming him for the lank of implementing development structure within the team for development and two way play and everyone working on their weaknesses, Eakins had to start 5 steps behind what he thought he would cause ther were no where near ready enough to do even the simple defensive things.

When Eakis said that when he asked guys in training camp to start with a baisic defence, nobody knew what that was or though it was something different. That is a problem Eakins inherited, he didin't casue it but know he is trying to fix and unbreak the bad habits that they got over the past 4 years.

If players cannot but into the system, then it is a failed system. Part of reason why some coach failed in one team but then find success on different team. Since no team can ever just trade entire roster away to fit into certain coach's system then you have to find somebody else that have a system which can work with the team. No coach should cry about how the players just won't be able to work with his system because it is their job to find a system that his players can work with.

Since Eakins came in, he started preaching his gimmick (it is not a system, it is a gimmick) without evaluating what types of players that he has. Any Oilers fan with a more realistic view of the team would expect the team miss playoffs but at least to see some signs of improvement, not Eakins' Oilers however. The team are regressing from whatever they had from last year and just completely lost out there on ice. If the players don't understand the concept of playing a two way game, then you work on the basic fundamental of how to play a proper defense by not trying to sell some gimmick which was working with a bunch of underachievers in minor league. What do you deal with a young team is by helping them to improve on certain areas of their game which can benefiting them in a long run. Eakins came into Edmonton by thinking himself as savior of franchise (you can read the interview when he was first hired by stating "Oilers will be a hard team to play against with", seem kind of ridiculous now isn't it?) without even have the first practice with the team. He is arrogant and full of himself, have this guy as a coach will only damaging the team further. The worst rookie that we ever have is Eakins himself!

I don't know how you can use the reason of "Eakins inherit a bad team" as an excuse for how awful the team is, because it is HIS JOB TO FIX THE DAMN PROBLEM! THAT'S WHAT HE WAS HIRED FOR! Try to be more logic instead blindly defend someone who should actually do his job.

Fire Eakins! Fire Eakins! Fire Eakins!

Avatar
#38 Anton
March 10 2014, 03:21AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
32
cheers

Compare Avalanche and Oilers...since both teams were in much the same scenario: young team, bad defense, worst in the league, and hire a rookie coach. What's the difference? From the first game when Roy almost killed Boudreau because a bad check on his players near the end of the game to Eakins burning Hall by having him to play the most minutes out of position and resulting lots of turnovers. Roy doesn't run any gimmicks, he believes the basic concept of how to win: good goalie performance and keep the puck out of own zone. Eakins? endless gimmicks and hoping some of them will work. The result? Avs is back into playoffs and Oil is rotting at bottom.

Fire Eakins! Fire Eakins! Fire Eakins!

Avatar
#39 Sevenseven
March 10 2014, 06:28AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
25
cheers

Besides continuity, what is the argument to try Eakins next year?

Avatar
#40 -30-
March 10 2014, 06:41AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
28
cheers

Edmonton Oilers = New York Islanders

Kevin Lowe = Mike Milbury

Daryl Katz = Charles Wang

A lesson in how otherwise successful businessmen (Wang & Katz) let friendships and egos get in the way of becoming successful sports franchises.

However, this will all be forgotten the next time the Oilers have another two game winning streak. LOL Then, most ON posters will be matching lines and planning Cup parades.

-30-

Avatar
#41 Oiler Al
March 10 2014, 06:41AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
23
cheers
toprightcorner wrote:

I wis people wpuld dtop posting to fire Eakins. MacT said publicly he will be the coach next year so stop with the "Fire Eakins" chants. ITs getting worse than the Omark and Schremp lovers.

If at 30 games next year and MacT has filled a bunch of the holes and the team is no better, barring multiple injuries you can come out again and wave the fire Eakins flag. Until then it is just annoying and makles zero difference.

Fire assistant coaches? Heck I will join you on that banwagon!!

Thank you Mrs. Eakins.

Avatar
#42 Anton
March 10 2014, 06:48AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
35
cheers
Sevenseven wrote:

Besides continuity, what is the argument to try Eakins next year?

He can bring us more chances to get McDavid?

Avatar
#43 Oiler Al
March 10 2014, 06:49AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
18
cheers
Anton wrote:

Compare Avalanche and Oilers...since both teams were in much the same scenario: young team, bad defense, worst in the league, and hire a rookie coach. What's the difference? From the first game when Roy almost killed Boudreau because a bad check on his players near the end of the game to Eakins burning Hall by having him to play the most minutes out of position and resulting lots of turnovers. Roy doesn't run any gimmicks, he believes the basic concept of how to win: good goalie performance and keep the puck out of own zone. Eakins? endless gimmicks and hoping some of them will work. The result? Avs is back into playoffs and Oil is rotting at bottom.

Fire Eakins! Fire Eakins! Fire Eakins!

Anton, thank you for bringing this up, as its one of my favorite comparisons, and a good one for sure.

The media in Edmonton have never made a presentation of this . Colorado is so far ahead of the Oilers, and it all boils down to coaching and mangement. Heck, the Oilers would have taken Seth Jones in that draft without question, because thats what Bob McKenszie picked for them.

PS. Roy came from the junior ranks, had not even coached in the AHL.

Fire Eakin.

Avatar
#44 MessyEH
March 10 2014, 06:53AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
toprightcorner wrote:

I remember whe the Oilers brought in Oates just before Christmas in 2003/04 and he worked hard on teaching guys how to take faceoffs and could teach younger offensive guys like Hemsky, Horcoff Stoll and Smyth, I recall MacT saying in an interview what a difference Oates made to the team about winning and they had brough in Oates to do Just that.

Hemsky, Smyth, Horcoff, Stoll and Torres all had career years the following year. Stoll, Horcoff and Reasoners faceoffs jumped dramatically and I beleive set up the younger guys with the desire to compete and make the cup run the next NHL season after the lockout. All of your offensive forwards don't all chance overnight and have their career year at the same time without influence and I beleive that to be Adam Oates. All but Hemsky had also developed the defensive part to their game that wa lacking. You bring in Pronger and Peca that year and it was a whole new team because of the changes the players made to compete each and every night.

If the Oilers could convince a player like that, at the end of his career to come for just a year to extend ther carreer with the idea of having him mentor that team I think that would make a huge difference. I think Jagr could teach this team a ton on working hard and commitment and realate to the offensive guys. He also seems willing to play almost anywhere so if you offered him the same contract or a touch more for a year could be the best short term investment they have ever made. Other options could be Jovanovski, Iginla, Dan Boyle and Bertuzzi. Heck , sign them and tell them you will even trade them to a contender at the deadline if the Oilers are no in a playoff position. 60 games (what Oates played) could go a long way to righting the ship and and teaching the comete and commitment it takes.

Jagr made a measly $2 mill this season $4.5 the previous aft scoring 54 points, I would give him $4 - $4.5 for 1 year cause his work ethic and commitment to the game and practice will change some of these young guys around. He has a few more attainable milestones so I see him wantong to play another year. Philly's and Stars and even Bruins all commented on the positives he brout to the room and work ethic while there.

Jagr could be the Coles Notes of teaching this team how to compete, practice and commitment to improving.

I made the suggestion of signing Jagr for just that reason. I'd pay him up to 6 million.

Avatar
#45 Loweblows
March 10 2014, 07:00AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

Fire Eakins!

Avatar
#46 mlcselli
March 10 2014, 07:28AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers

The players have no clue how to play the system, and Eakins keeps making changes to it. The players hate losing but after so many losses, they are now nonchalant about it. There are now reports coming out that the Oilers have some pretty slack practices, and when traded players go to other teams they draw comparisons. It's too bad the players could not make their own statement by refusing to show up for practices and games until Eakins is replaced. Let MacT take the bench. Eakins is clearly not effective and brings out the absolute worst in the team. There is no more embarrassment or humiliation or booing from the fans that can make tis worse.

Avatar
#47 Spydyr
March 10 2014, 07:32AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
** wrote:

MAybe Phillip Larsen is best suited to be a winger. He is just brutal as a d man. And I'm not talking just about that own goal, he almost cost the Oilers the game against the Islanders.

Maybe Phillip Larsen is best suited for the AHL.I think that is what it really is.

Avatar
#48 BingBong
March 10 2014, 07:38AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
18
cheers

What's the deal with RNH? He's been invisible the last month and he's our #1 center!

Avatar
#49 vetinari
March 10 2014, 07:56AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

This seems to be the Oilers plan to finish the season-- at least from the player's perspective: pressure's off after the trade deadline, so phone it in for the last 20 games, collect your millions, party your butts off and start again fresh in September, so see you then!

Avatar
#50 Oiltown3000
March 10 2014, 07:57AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

We will be firing Eakins next year most likely, if we suck again. If we do suck again I hope we get Mcdavid.

Comments are closed for this article.