GDB Wrap Up: Oilers @ Sharks

baggedmilk
April 01 2014 11:23PM

SharkWeek

We cheered, we cried, we kissed 2 points goodbye. Final Score: 5-4 Sharks

Even on a bad day the San Jose Sharks are WAAAY better than the Oilers and, after seeing them twice in two weeks, it's obvious how much work still needs to be done. If the "Scrivens Will Save Us" game plan doesn't work, we tend to be in a world of trouble. Unless the Oilers make drastic changes in the offseason, I can't see there being any playoffs next year. I know, I'm sorry...just writing that sentence bummed me out.

You have to give the Oilers credit. Half of the roster is out with injury and they still managed to stick around in this game.  Not to mention, our Lil Nugey had a man sized game out there! One of the biggest problems was that they could not stay out of the penalty box. David Perron, especially, has to be more disciplined. He took 3 gross penalties tonight - his 2nd penalty led to the game winning goal. I love a good DP as much as the next guy but that was painful. The Sharks didn't play their best game, but when you give them 7 power plays there's a very good chance you will lose.

Let's wrap it up...

The Bright Side

• There was no Rexall DJ to make fun of
  • Taylor Hall has a hell of a shot
  • Lil Nugey had a big game and a lunchbox full of sugar. He'll sleep well tonight.
  • Turns out the Hall-Nuge-Eberle line is pretty good

Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 10.24.40 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 10.47.53 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 11.12.25 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 11.16.17 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 11.24.04 PM

Sit Down with Gene Principe

Later this week, I'll be interviewing Gene Principe and I'd like to include some of your questions. If you have something you'd like to ask, email me your question and Twitter handle to baggedmilk@gmail.com or hit me up on my Twitter - @jsbmbaggedmilk

94ea28cbbd0f9fe4153692bb3e38b40c
Twitter tyrant for @OilersNation - Resident Jackass - Poor vessel for carrying milk. Follow me on twitter (@jsbmbaggedmilk) - Instagram (@himynameisbaggedmilk) or email me at baggedmilk@oilersnation.com.
#1 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
April 01 2014, 11:26PM

Fist!

Actually a very entertaining game! That's two this year....Scrivens record breaking shutout and this one. If Eakins knows what's good for his career he'll let RNH Hall and Ebbs play together the rest of the way.

#2 Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy!
April 01 2014, 11:27PM
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Fist!

Totally!

Edit: Quit editing. Now I'm just agreeing with something other than FIST.

#3 Oilerboy1112
April 01 2014, 11:30PM

Can Hall-RNH-Ebs be the line up for team Canada in the 2018 Olympics?

#5 Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy!
April 01 2014, 11:33PM
Oilerboy1112 wrote:

Can Hall-RNH-Ebs be the line up for team Canada in the 2018 Olympics?

Do Nuge and Ebs have to try in the Olympics?

#6 Retsinnab5
April 01 2014, 11:34PM

The Nuge is back!

#7 hallsyoilerforever5
April 01 2014, 11:39PM

One of those few games this year that I can stand, despite losing. The kid line was flying tonight. Hope they can at least continue this effort for the rest of the remaining games. Pretty please? Eakins, don't break up the kid line tyvm.

#8 Oilcruzer
April 01 2014, 11:41PM

The are indeed not an offensive team. That first line tho...

Anyway, mission accomplished, solid effort, just enuf inexperience to lose.

#9 RexHolez
April 01 2014, 11:42PM

How many fan bases around the league can be happy about a loss?!?! Whoo!!! Our junior all star team will be complete with Ekblad!!!

#10 Oilcruzer
April 01 2014, 11:46PM
hallsyoilerforever5 wrote:

Good point. Years ago, we said blow it up, let the youngsters learn, and who cares if they lose every game 5-4.

This was what the fans meant, this kind of game. Shows where there is promise, where development required or when it's time to cut bait.

#11 LoweBlow
April 02 2014, 12:02AM

Glad I skipped the game.

#12 Goon80
April 02 2014, 12:03AM

Hope this game helps Eakins realize that he needs to keep that 1st line together.

#13 hagargt
April 02 2014, 12:50AM

...

#14 hagargt
April 02 2014, 12:54AM

Sorry about the above post, my attempts weren't going through and I was testing.

I am not usually a big stats guy, but can someone run a comparison of the numbers of the oilers vs the worst teams against the stats against the best teams! I know when I play a game be it golf, pool, golden tee, or even throwing rocks at a bucket.. I always play better against people who have a chance at beating me. Perhaps I have a selective memory, but I could swear the oilers play way better against better team? "Way better" is of course relative, but it keeps sticking in my mind.

#15 hagargt
April 02 2014, 12:58AM

If it is true that they play better against better teams, then there can't be a better argument for this team being mental midgets, and needing a management change. Coaching, ownership, president.. something that is causing a motivational issue. I might be way off and that's fine, just seems that way is all.

#16 Ric
April 02 2014, 01:15AM

Can we start cheering to fail for McDavid?

#17 hagargt
April 02 2014, 01:21AM
Ric wrote:

Can we start cheering to fail for McDavid?

If we are in the hunt for mcdavid next year, I will officially quit on the team. I don't mean I will quit until they start winning, I mean I will quit and build voodoo dolls of the entire team. I want NOTHING to do with this team for the rest of my life if they stink this bad or worse next year. This is it.. I am already a freaking idiot for still being here. Well.... I would give another chance when kevin leaves, but sure as hell not while he is around.

#18 Crispy
April 02 2014, 04:26AM

We need to come last a few more years still. That way we can have exclusively #1 overall draft picks on the ice at once and we will be guaranteed a stanley cup. Easy.

#19 Crispy
April 02 2014, 04:27AM

(Self prop)

#20 Gk1980
April 02 2014, 05:58AM

Wow, nuge decided to show up. Did someone take his xbox away?

#21 Lofty
April 02 2014, 06:03AM
Crispy wrote:

And pay them all 6 million

#22 madjam
April 02 2014, 06:35AM

Auditioning in earnest for the World Championship by our young players ? Seems to be added incentive now Ruff's team seems headed for playoffs with Dallas .

#23 MMAX
April 02 2014, 07:07AM

Principe's April Fool's joke before the game gives the name "Meathead" a whole new meaning.

#24 ONTARIO OILERS FAN
April 02 2014, 07:16AM

Eakins: Another moral victory for us. MacT: I gotta watch that "Moneyball" movie for inspiration going forward. Lowe: Mr. Katz, sir. We project a 5% increase in your profits from last season! Darryl: That's awesome, boy. Don't you go tweaking nothing now!

#25 Oil_Dude
April 02 2014, 07:49AM
MMAX wrote:

I wasn't a joke. Smith , Buchberger and Eakins were all set to play but they couldn't figure out the systems we play so they decided against it.

#26 Spydyr
April 02 2014, 08:19AM

Well after years of rebuild the Oilers have one line, one goalie and perhaps a couple defenceman.Now for the other three lines ,four defensemen and one more goalie.

#27 Czar
April 02 2014, 09:10AM

@Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)

Jan. 10/14 was a pretty entertaining night as well.

#28 brad
April 02 2014, 09:20AM
Ric wrote:

Can we start cheering to fail for McDavid?

Fake it for McDavid

#29 Hemmercules
April 02 2014, 09:50AM

"Unless the Oilers make drastic changes in the offseason, I can't see there being any playoffs next year. I know, I'm sorry... Just writing that sentence bummed me out."

Even with drastic changes, playoffs are a long shot next season. Take it from me, no matter what happens this summer, go into next season with extremely low expectations. It really softens the blow when they get eliminated from the playoffs in November.

If the Oilers brass has taught me anything in the last 8 years its to not believe anything they say. They can talk about winning all they want, delivery is another story.

#30 BobbyCanuck
April 02 2014, 09:57AM
brad wrote:

Fake it for McDavid

We need to come up with a rhyme

Fall for Hall Dyin for Ryan Fail for Nail Play bad for Ekblad Fake it for McDavid Lose your honour for Conner

Could be fun!

That was vintage ELPH!

#32 916oiler
April 02 2014, 10:29AM

"I love a good DP as much as the next guy..."

-baggedmilk

#33 The Towel Boy
April 02 2014, 10:32AM

I have so many questions for Gene....

#34 He Who Knows
April 02 2014, 10:41AM

No playoffs next year either?? WTF was this organization doing with the rebuild the last 4 years?? They never had a plan and they won't be held accountable either. "Patience sheeple, patience".

#36 Dave
April 02 2014, 11:30AM

What if the Oilers are instantly better after trading Sam Gsgner?

#37 vetinari
April 02 2014, 11:44AM

Ahhhh nuts... they play tonight in Anaheim??? Did the NHL schedule makers decide last July to punish the Oilers with a road trip from hell to close out the season? Why couldn't we have played Buffalo, Florida and the Islanders for the last 7 games or so? We could have at least likely split those games.

EDIT: Question for Gene... "Fill in the blank-- Gene Principe is to sports reporting as ______________ is to hockey." Love to see who he identifies with and if they are an Oiler.

#38 Reg Dunlop
April 02 2014, 11:45AM

Suck on her for Conner.

Principe has to go. He is not funny, not cute or even mildly entertaining.

Reminds me of me too much, maybe.

#39 Wanye
April 02 2014, 11:56AM
hagargt wrote:

...

This says it all really.

*gives self props*

#40 Wanye
April 02 2014, 11:57AM
Reg Dunlop wrote:

Suck on her for Conner.

Principe has to go. He is not funny, not cute or even mildly entertaining.

Reminds me of me too much, maybe.

Wrong! I find him very entertaining given that his job is to find a way to make this 7 year hot mess entertaining without being negative.

#41 Spydyr
April 02 2014, 12:44PM
Wanye wrote:

Lowe is a goner after Connor.

That sounds positive to me.

#42 Bdubbs
April 02 2014, 04:40PM

@He Who Knows

Just so you know Chicago and Pittsburgh were 5 year rebuilds between all their pieces starting with ruutu in 01' Keith in 02' Seabrook Crawford and Byfuglien in 03' Barker Bolland and Bickell in 04' Skille Hjalmarsson 05' Toews 06' and finally Kane in 07'. Pittsburgh was very similar with Crosby 1st overall Malkin 2nd overall J.staal 3rd overall Armstrong 21st Fleury 1st overall, also added through the draft along the way were Whitney (5th) Letang, Goligoski and Kennedy. As far as I'm concerned it looks to me like Pittsburgh and Chicago both hit stride in their 5th year. Not saying that's what will happen here but everyone compares those teams to our rebuild yet both of them started in 2001 and ended with the 2007 draft and 2006 draft for Pittsburgh.

#43 Veritable
April 02 2014, 07:24PM
hagargt wrote:

You're not an idiot at present. Don't be so hard on yourself Sam. You will look like an idiot if you give up on this team. Don't do it. Stay on this journey! It will all be ok! Don't stoop to BM's level.

V

#44 hagargt
April 03 2014, 12:23AM
Veritable wrote:

V

Only if you hold my hand.

#45 Veritable
April 03 2014, 12:17PM
hagargt wrote:

Only if you hold my hand.

We're all in this together my brother.

#46 Casey
April 03 2014, 09:10PM

Remember when everyone got mad at Lars Eller for calling us a junior team?? We arent a junior team we are a ECHL All-star team!! Rejoice!!