GDB 82.0: CURTAIN CALL

baggedmilk
April 12 2014 05:31PM

ThankYouSmytty

Tonight marks the end of an era. Ryan Smyth will play his 1270th NHL game in what will no doubt be an emotional night at Rexall Place. For those of us that were raised on Ryan Smyth, it's definitely going to be weird to watch. I can't imagine there will be a dry eye in the house when Smytty's tribute is played, the only question is whether or not we'll be able to see it at home. We're looking at you, CBC...

It's a strange feeling knowing that tonight will be Ryan Smyth's last game in the NHL. I remember watching the trade deadline, in 2007, thinking that it was only a matter of time before they would announce that he had signed another contract - we all know how that turned out. After of the shock of seeing him wear other uniforms had worn off, our hometown hero came back in the summer of 2011. At the time, the rebuild was supposed to be well underway and the Oilers should have been making a push towards the playoffs. It never happened and we're still stuck in the basement.

Ryan Smyth wanted to be here. He wanted to be traded back to the city where he started his career so that he could raise his family and retire as an Oiler. I can only imagine what it was like for him to watch the Kings win the Stanley Cup after finishing dead last on the year. I always admired Ryan Smyth for his love of the Oilers franchise and the city we call home. I'm sure the last 3 years of his professional career haven't been easy, but he never complained. He worked hard and praised the franchise for giving him an opportunity to come home. Tonight we say farewell to the man with the flowing mop.

Enjoy It...

Take It All In

I'm not really sure how these GDB's are supposed to go, I've never written one before. All I can tell you is, the thing that's been on my mind all day is when next season starts Ryan Smyth won't be parked in front of the net - we'll never see it again. That's weird to me and it bums me out.  Even though Ryan Smyth isn't the player he was when he made his tearful goodbye at the airport, I hope everyone really pays attention to him tonight. Even though it's been another shitacular season, I hope that everyone enjoys, for the last time, one of the greatest players to ever pull on an Oilers sweater.

Lineup...

Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 1.08.16 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 1.08.24 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 5.12.12 PM

Tonight...

ShowMeYourLove

GAME DAY PREDICTION: Smytty's last game as an Oiler ends up in a blowout as the Oilers crush the Canucks 5-1. He scores 2 power play goals to claim the record.

OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: The opening tribute to Ryan Smyth makes everyone at Rexall tear up. Allergies are blamed, onions are banned, and Dallas Eakins' hair remains fantastic.

NOT-SO-OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: Mark Fraser goes coast-to-coast, beating Dan Hamhuis wide for his 2nd goal of the season. The goal is called back due to Fraser finding a way to put himself offside even though he had the puck the entire time.

94ea28cbbd0f9fe4153692bb3e38b40c
Twitter tyrant for @OilersNation - Resident Jackass - Poor vessel for carrying milk. Follow me on twitter (@jsbmbaggedmilk) - Instagram (@himynameisbaggedmilk) or email me at baggedmilk@oilersnation.com.
#51 MMAX
April 12 2014, 09:59PM
MMAX wrote:

For f*ck's sake Oilers point men, get the GD puck on the net so Smitty at least has a chance. too many high and wide shots.

Well that about proves the mentality of some of the morons on this site. 2 trashes in about 2 minutes? What's the matter? Don't want to see Smitty get #127?

#52 Class Act #94
April 12 2014, 10:04PM

As a Flames fan who tunes into some of the Oilers game, couldn't be happier to see Smyth don the "C" tonight. Consummate professional. When he announced his retirement, it even made me (a diehard Flames fan) a little sad. Sail on Smytty, your attitude, heart and drive, reached many fans far and wide.

Crossing my fingers for a PP marker for him.

#53 Dan
April 12 2014, 10:08PM

To bad you were drafted by the oilers smytty! Would of loved to see what kind of career you would've had on a real NHL team not managed by morons

#54 YFC Prez
April 12 2014, 10:09PM

@MMAX

Your feelings seem a little Hurt. Here, I propped you and I will give a virtual internet hug to go with.

* hug *

#55 Kyle
April 12 2014, 10:10PM

Haven't heard, is smytty on after hours?

#57 YFC Prez
April 12 2014, 10:11PM

@Kyle

#58 Johnnydapunk
April 12 2014, 10:17PM

I'm surprised to say it but I also think that no one else should ever put on his 94, I would be happy to see it up there.

Like everyone else, I will be a bit sad to see him go, but I think it was a good move. Also a classy touch to give him the "C" for the game.

If Al Hamilton's Number 3 can hang up there, surely Smytty's 94 can.

#59 Rocket
April 12 2014, 10:24PM

Nice to see Hall get to 80 pts.

I wonder how many he would have got if Gagner *spit* and Nuge weren't injured and Hall didn't have to play centre.

#61 Gk1980
April 12 2014, 10:29PM

Is it me or is klefbom been amazing tonight? This guy is for real. He has to be a lock for next year. The guy is calm and has had a few good offensive chances as well.

#62 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
April 12 2014, 10:31PM

Hmmm, could the Game Day prediction score actually happen??

#63 Shifty203
April 12 2014, 10:31PM

@baggedmilk

Neither Ekblad or Nurse should be here next year. Both should spend time in the minors, and earn roster spots, not be given them. They can come up when they play well enough that the Oilers have no choice but to bring them up.

#65 RexHolez
April 12 2014, 10:34PM
baggedmilk wrote:

Honest question. Is Ekblad any better than Adam Larsson was a few years ago? Because Larsson spent most of this year in the AHL.

It doesn't matter, the oilers won't get to draft him anyways.

#66 YFC Prez
April 12 2014, 10:34PM

@Rocket

The last oiler to crack 80 points was Dougie. 15 years ago ! I hope this doesn't go unappreciated in the midst of another crapy season.

One face of the franchise is calling it a career. I wonder if 15 years down the road Hall will have represented this franchise as well as Smyth. He certainly is trying his damnedest so far !

#68 Serious Gord
April 12 2014, 10:37PM
Gk1980 wrote:

I noticed the same.

But that is tempered by the remembrance that justin Shultz used to look pretty impressive when he first started playing for the oil.

#69 vetinari
April 12 2014, 10:37PM

It's all right to cry Ryan... we're crying with you...

#70 Rocket
April 12 2014, 10:45PM
Serious Gord wrote:

I noticed the same.

Good call

Remember how great Petry looked when he first arrived? He turned out well but with young defencemen you never know...

#71 RexHolez
April 12 2014, 10:48PM
baggedmilk wrote:

You sure about that? Seth Jones was supposed to go 1st overall last year too

Good point. I don't watch Nashville. How did Jones do this year anyway?

#72 Poolanov
April 12 2014, 10:48PM

Wow I hate the Canucks slightly less right now.

#73 Chambers
April 12 2014, 10:50PM

Bye Bye Ryan....Bye Bye Ekblad!

#74 Sevenseven
April 12 2014, 10:51PM

Highlight of the oilers season. Even with the record breaking performance of ben scrivens. It was a rough year as an Oiler fan, but that made it a lot better. Glad I watched. Smytty was my Gretzky. One of my favourite moments in sports history.

#75 MMAX
April 12 2014, 10:54PM
YFC Prez wrote:

* hug *

Not at all. It's an internet forum, what the hell do I care?

#76 vetinari
April 12 2014, 10:58PM
Chambers wrote:

Bye Bye Ryan....Bye Bye Ekblad!

Not necessarily... finishing 28th still gives us a 14.4% chance of getting the first overall pick and we can't pick lower than fourth overall (if someone else below us wins the lotto)... if we stay at #3 overall, Buffalo and Florida both need scoring and I can't see them using the pick on a defensive prospect who won't be able to run the backend for a few years, especially when they need scoring forwards.

#77 RexHolez
April 12 2014, 11:01PM

So is it finally over?? No more emberassment watching my team struggle to play in the NHL? Atleast until the misery starts again next year

#78 Chambers
April 12 2014, 11:02PM
vetinari wrote:

And do you honestly think the Oilers need another 1st overall? What would we do with it? It doesn't seem to help.

#79 wellsy
April 12 2014, 11:03PM
MMAX wrote:

Not at all. It's an internet forum, what the hell do I care?

Garbage answer after your original comment...so weak.

#80 oil leak
April 12 2014, 11:04PM

@Serious Gord

Ryan Smyth was part o glen Sathers 5year rebuild plan after the dynasty oilers were ripped apart by pocklington. He is the face of that generation of the oilers.

He does not have the cup wins or success of the previous generation of oilers, one could argue that makes him more worthy of the honour of raising his jersey.

He is the face of the franchise through 20 bleak years

I have no problem if the team honours Ryan Smyth and his contributions

#81 vetinari
April 12 2014, 11:06PM
Chambers wrote:

Well, it can't hurt, can it? If I was MacT and we won the pick, I would be talking to Buffalo about possibly swapping picks with us getting something else in return because I would be fairly certain that they would use it on a forward, and then take Ekblad with the pick. No matter what, in the top 4, we are either going to get Ekblad or a new #2 centre.

#82 wellsy
April 12 2014, 11:08PM
RexHolez wrote:

My wish for you next year is that you will learn to spell "embarrassment".Seriously, it's emberassing...

#83 Butters
April 12 2014, 11:09PM

I can use classy and Canucks in the same sentence today. Classy move by the Canucks to come out and congratulate Smytty.