GDB 82.0: CURTAIN CALL

baggedmilk
April 12 2014 05:31PM

ThankYouSmytty

Tonight marks the end of an era. Ryan Smyth will play his 1270th NHL game in what will no doubt be an emotional night at Rexall Place. For those of us that were raised on Ryan Smyth, it's definitely going to be weird to watch. I can't imagine there will be a dry eye in the house when Smytty's tribute is played, the only question is whether or not we'll be able to see it at home. We're looking at you, CBC...

It's a strange feeling knowing that tonight will be Ryan Smyth's last game in the NHL. I remember watching the trade deadline, in 2007, thinking that it was only a matter of time before they would announce that he had signed another contract - we all know how that turned out. After of the shock of seeing him wear other uniforms had worn off, our hometown hero came back in the summer of 2011. At the time, the rebuild was supposed to be well underway and the Oilers should have been making a push towards the playoffs. It never happened and we're still stuck in the basement.

Ryan Smyth wanted to be here. He wanted to be traded back to the city where he started his career so that he could raise his family and retire as an Oiler. I can only imagine what it was like for him to watch the Kings win the Stanley Cup after finishing dead last on the year. I always admired Ryan Smyth for his love of the Oilers franchise and the city we call home. I'm sure the last 3 years of his professional career haven't been easy, but he never complained. He worked hard and praised the franchise for giving him an opportunity to come home. Tonight we say farewell to the man with the flowing mop.

Enjoy It...

Take It All In

I'm not really sure how these GDB's are supposed to go, I've never written one before. All I can tell you is, the thing that's been on my mind all day is when next season starts Ryan Smyth won't be parked in front of the net - we'll never see it again. That's weird to me and it bums me out.  Even though Ryan Smyth isn't the player he was when he made his tearful goodbye at the airport, I hope everyone really pays attention to him tonight. Even though it's been another shitacular season, I hope that everyone enjoys, for the last time, one of the greatest players to ever pull on an Oilers sweater.

Lineup...

Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 1.08.16 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 1.08.24 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 5.12.12 PM

Tonight...

ShowMeYourLove

GAME DAY PREDICTION: Smytty's last game as an Oiler ends up in a blowout as the Oilers crush the Canucks 5-1. He scores 2 power play goals to claim the record.

OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: The opening tribute to Ryan Smyth makes everyone at Rexall tear up. Allergies are blamed, onions are banned, and Dallas Eakins' hair remains fantastic.

NOT-SO-OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: Mark Fraser goes coast-to-coast, beating Dan Hamhuis wide for his 2nd goal of the season. The goal is called back due to Fraser finding a way to put himself offside even though he had the puck the entire time.

94ea28cbbd0f9fe4153692bb3e38b40c
Twitter tyrant for @OilersNation - Resident Jackass - Poor vessel for carrying milk. Follow me on twitter (@jsbmbaggedmilk) - Instagram (@himynameisbaggedmilk) or email me at baggedmilk@oilersnation.com.
#1 Class Act #94
April 12 2014, 10:04PM

As a Flames fan who tunes into some of the Oilers game, couldn't be happier to see Smyth don the "C" tonight. Consummate professional. When he announced his retirement, it even made me (a diehard Flames fan) a little sad. Sail on Smytty, your attitude, heart and drive, reached many fans far and wide.

Crossing my fingers for a PP marker for him.

#2 #ThereGoesTheOilers
April 12 2014, 05:59PM
Canned Pop wrote:

Might be the last time we see Ebs in an oil jersey too!

If by Ebs you mean Gags, then yes.

#3 vetinari
April 12 2014, 05:38PM

We salute you Captain Canada! Thanks for the memories and enjoy the time with your family...

#6 Rocket
April 12 2014, 05:36PM

I haven't been on here in a while. Stopped watching games before Christmas but it's the last game of the season and 94 is retiring.

Here's to going out with a bang.

#7 Soccer Steve
April 12 2014, 05:48PM

Lose and lock up 29th.

Win and pick 3rd (probably).

How does an Oiler fan cope with such stresses? He watches guys like Ryan Smyth play. Man, I'm gonna miss him.

#8 Gk1980
April 12 2014, 10:29PM

Is it me or is klefbom been amazing tonight? This guy is for real. He has to be a lock for next year. The guy is calm and has had a few good offensive chances as well.

#9 drunken_Master
April 12 2014, 05:49PM

i really hope #94 breaks that record.. #thankyouCAPTAINCANADA

#10 Poolanov
April 12 2014, 10:48PM

Wow I hate the Canucks slightly less right now.

#11 Johnnydapunk
April 12 2014, 10:17PM

I'm surprised to say it but I also think that no one else should ever put on his 94, I would be happy to see it up there.

Like everyone else, I will be a bit sad to see him go, but I think it was a good move. Also a classy touch to give him the "C" for the game.

If Al Hamilton's Number 3 can hang up there, surely Smytty's 94 can.

#12 bgess
April 12 2014, 07:19PM

The vote is on Ryan Smith jersey to the rafters

#13 vetinari
April 12 2014, 10:37PM

It's all right to cry Ryan... we're crying with you...

#14 Butters
April 12 2014, 11:09PM

I can use classy and Canucks in the same sentence today. Classy move by the Canucks to come out and congratulate Smytty.

#15 majin_oil
April 12 2014, 05:53PM

Thank you Ryan!!!

Now go claim that pp record!! End this season on a high note!!

#16 YFC Prez
April 12 2014, 10:34PM

@Rocket

The last oiler to crack 80 points was Dougie. 15 years ago ! I hope this doesn't go unappreciated in the midst of another crapy season.

One face of the franchise is calling it a career. I wonder if 15 years down the road Hall will have represented this franchise as well as Smyth. He certainly is trying his damnedest so far !

#17 Air on Egg blood
April 12 2014, 07:52PM

This is the saddest Oilers season ever.

It all started with the firing of Ralf Krueger in one of the most classless moves ever. Then, there was the uber tragic death of Kristians Pelss. Followed by losing and lots of it. Our Calgary nemesis, with an inferior line up finished ahead of us. There was the departures of Smid and Hemsky, two players I would qualify as good guys. And now Smythy retires. We could call the 2013-14 season, the season of tears.

#18 FIST
April 12 2014, 05:34PM

FIRST FOR SMYTHYYY

#19 Chris
April 12 2014, 05:53PM

Good first GDB bagged milk! well said!

THANK YOU RYAN SMYTH!!!!!

#20 Chambers
April 12 2014, 10:50PM

Bye Bye Ryan....Bye Bye Ekblad!

#21 Sevenseven
April 12 2014, 10:51PM

Highlight of the oilers season. Even with the record breaking performance of ben scrivens. It was a rough year as an Oiler fan, but that made it a lot better. Glad I watched. Smytty was my Gretzky. One of my favourite moments in sports history.

#23 Canned Pop
April 12 2014, 05:42PM

Might be the last time we see Ebs in an oil jersey too!

#24 Lowetide
April 12 2014, 06:18PM

This is a helluva GDT. Lordy.

#26 Dave
April 12 2014, 06:44PM

Let's see - greatest Oilers (argue the order but the point is...): Gretz, Mess, Coffey, Fuhr, Anderson, Kurri, Ranford, Weight. Then Ryan? I was sitting here all day thinking "no way would I retire his jersey, he represents a lunch pail generation of losing Oilers teams". Then I realized that he's 6th career Oil scoring (ahead of Weight), came back to finish up here, and took a beating while here. A serious beating. Had he not been traded, he'd be 5th Oil career pts ahead of Coffey, without ever playing with the big guns.

I'd put his # up ahead of Weight. Ahead of Lowe. Ahead of Ranford. He won't make the HHoF - but that's the point. Raise it.

#27 Rudy
April 12 2014, 07:31PM

I second the vote for Ryan Smyth's jersey to the rafters......

#28 Craig1981
April 12 2014, 08:13PM

Was that really the music the DJ picked for Symths spotlight moment?!?

Hope that DJ packs his bags with Jones at the end of this season

#29 Serious Gord
April 12 2014, 08:16PM
Craig1981 wrote:

Was that really the music the DJ picked for Symths spotlight moment?!?

Hope that DJ packs his bags with Jones at the end of this season

The crap off ice product isn't just the music. Laforge should be fired.

#30 Dave "Killer" Carlson
April 12 2014, 06:15PM

@Rocket

While I still have tuned in from time to time when I've had time, I wouldn't miss watching the game tonight for anything. 100% final exam on Monday be damned.

I remember walking around heartbroken when he was traded in 2007. Then my heart became whole again watching the first game in 2011. The fact that he was back didn't sink in till I saw it.

Heart and soul #94. Thank you Smytty.

#31 Greenlingj
April 12 2014, 09:49PM

Why do we win?

Because we need to win. The draft is a crap shoot you know who the best players are going in and you never know who the best players will be 10 years down the road.

You win because we need this, we need to go out on a high note we need to say good buy to a warrior who has fought and bled at every turn for this game we love.

We win because... oh damn we're playing Vancouver.

We win because #%^# them.

#32 Shifty203
April 12 2014, 10:31PM

@baggedmilk

Neither Ekblad or Nurse should be here next year. Both should spend time in the minors, and earn roster spots, not be given them. They can come up when they play well enough that the Oilers have no choice but to bring them up.

#33 Craig1981
April 12 2014, 09:26PM

A timeout to get Smyth some more PP time. My respect for Eakins has gone way up right now.

#34 #ThereGoesTheOilers
April 12 2014, 05:58PM

I'm going to miss him something fierce ... I don't even have words to describe how much right now.

I can't think of any part of 2006 without thinking of Smyth. Thank you for all your years, for everything.

#35 Serious Gord
April 12 2014, 06:46PM

Re the last game of one of the worst seasons ever.

Pissed that the fans are being played with the last Smyth game. Had that not been the case this could have become a real expression of fan disgust for what the owner and management have done or rather failed to do.

Cue the "you're heartless" feed back.

Recommended movie to watch via netflix after the game:

"Face in the crowd" with one of the finest performances ever by Andy Griffith (sheriff of Mayberry and matlock ) and tony franciosa. It about a coldly calculating media personality who has a hayseed aw shucks public persona. Not unlike the tripe that oilers fans are going to be fed tonight.

#36 RexHolez
April 12 2014, 11:01PM

So is it finally over?? No more emberassment watching my team struggle to play in the NHL? Atleast until the misery starts again next year

#37 mlcselli
April 12 2014, 06:00PM

The PVR is on and I'll watch the tribute many times. There haven't been too many reasons to celebrate this year with the Oil, but tonight it is with pride and for me some sadness, as we celebrate Smytty. Ryan won't be the only one cryin'. I wish him all the best in the future in wherever that path takes him. I wish him a great life of love with his family. Thanks for the memories.

#38 JJ
April 12 2014, 07:15PM

You know what would be a perfect ending to this game..

It's OT on a PP. Smytty gets the puck at a breakaway and skates like he's never skaten before, which truthfully, isn't very fast. Kassian tries to catch up, but is punched straight to the back of the head by Gagner like Franson on Nuge. Kassian flops to the ice and Smytty has all the time in the world.

The crowd is silent. He winds up for the patented clapper. Markstrom is trembling with fear. He shoots. Pew Pew. Straight to the goalie's chest. The hardest clapper he's ever done, so powerful it pushes Markstrom into the net along with the puck. The crowd goes wild with "Smytty" chants. Game over, he's won it.

#39 snorkboink
April 12 2014, 07:51PM

Tonight I'm opening a bottle of Bunnahabhain 37 year old whisky I've been saving for a night just like this one. I will raise a glass to Ryan and his beautiful family.

#41 Oilerboy1112
April 12 2014, 06:06PM

Ryan Smyth has always been my most favourite Oiler, it'll be hard to watch him play his last game😢. I hope we win this game for Smyth.

#42 Seth
April 12 2014, 08:58PM

Oilers have not played a meaningful games since October. Tonight they have a chance to end up 29th and have a better chance in the draft , so they win.

Ha Ha Ha cursed team

#43 Rocket
April 12 2014, 10:24PM

Nice to see Hall get to 80 pts.

I wonder how many he would have got if Gagner *spit* and Nuge weren't injured and Hall didn't have to play centre.

#44 Serious Gord
April 12 2014, 06:38PM

Re the chicks t-shirt

Pretty sure what I would be showing her wouldn't be classified as "love"

#45 YFC Prez
April 12 2014, 10:09PM

@MMAX

Your feelings seem a little Hurt. Here, I propped you and I will give a virtual internet hug to go with.

* hug *

#46 Serious Gord
April 12 2014, 08:01PM
Rudy wrote:

I second the vote for Ryan Smyth's jersey to the rafters......

I always considered it a point of pride that the Canucks had Stan smyl in the rafters and the oil had only one retired number that wasn't a cup winner and in the hall of fame.

I very much oppose putting Smyth's jersey and number up with that group.

#47 wellsy
April 12 2014, 08:07PM
Serious Gord wrote:

I very much oppose putting Smyth's jersey and number up with that group.

Thank you.Well said. A voice of reason in the midst of emotional diarrhea.

#48 Dan
April 12 2014, 10:08PM

To bad you were drafted by the oilers smytty! Would of loved to see what kind of career you would've had on a real NHL team not managed by morons

#50 RexHolez
April 12 2014, 10:34PM
baggedmilk wrote:

Honest question. Is Ekblad any better than Adam Larsson was a few years ago? Because Larsson spent most of this year in the AHL.

It doesn't matter, the oilers won't get to draft him anyways.