CLEAR AS MUD!

Lowetide
April 15 2014 11:15PM

matty draft

The Edmonton Oilers didn't win the draft lottery, and that's a news story. The club has had three number one overall selections in recent seasons and had a good shot at another, but the Florida Panthers won the day and are now on the clock. Does it change the Oilers plans? Yes. And not really.

BE BAD, FOR EKBLAD!

Most Oiler fans probably feel the team's chances at Aaron Ekblad are gone now, but the draft is a tricky item. Remember Seth Jones one year ago? Fell all the way to Memphis Nashville, and it could happen again.

drance ekblad

HIGH C'S

There are three centermen available, and the Oilers will get a crack at least one of them on draft day. We compared their even scoring and their power-play production early in the year.

EVEN STRENGTH

top 3f at evens

Reinhart is the best offensive player at even strength, but this is close. I'd say all three of these players are going to have enough ability to play top 6F in the NHL. That shouldn't come as a surprise, but there were questions about Draisaitl's offense (and Bennett's too) and this graph addresses those concerns.

POWERPLAY

TOP 3F ON PP

Interesting. We don't have TOI totals, but the two WHL kids appear to be either more effective or more fortunate than Bennett. That doesn't mean they are better players—coaches make decisions based on their rosters and Bennett may have been used in a secondary manner.

IS THERE A WAY FOR EDMONTON TO GET EKBLAD?

gregor reinhart

Yes. If, as Jason Gregor suggests, Florida takes Reinhart #1 overall, Buffalo may take the big defender. However, they have an impressive group of young defensemen either in the NHL (Myers, the dancing McCabes, Pysyk) or on the way (Zadorov, Ristolainen).

It isn't a slam dunk the Sabres take Ekblad.

WHAT'S YOUR BEST GUESS?

leoni2

If you're heading to Vegas, bet Leoni.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#51 TonyT
April 16 2014, 10:15AM

I think the Oilers take Draisatl, but I want Bennett because of his compete level.

#52 HockeyYodaDotcom
April 16 2014, 10:18AM
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

All of the top 4 look like players who will be above average NHL talent.

Not really knowing any of them, my concern with Bennett is that he is the smallest of the group and to date has experienced the most games missed due to injury.

My concern about Draisaitl is that he is a non- Canadian import. This usually carries some risk as well.

Bennett is 6' 180lbs. Draisaitl 6' 1.5" 209lbs.

Bennett +- is something like + 29 Draisaitl and Reinhart are plus single digit.

Like Kale said at #4 above....would be very interesting to see some analysis of each guys line mates.

I'm not here to toot my own horn but I have been very accurate in my assessment of draft picks in the past.

What concerns me about Draisaitl is that he disappointed in his only two opportunities to play against a higher level of competition. He was less than invisible at the world juniors. And he played poorly in the prospects game. Oh, and Craig Button loves him - which makes red flag number three. Contrast to Sean Monahan, who was outstanding in the super series, but didn't make team Canada because he didn't play well enough for Steve Spot's liking in scrimmages. (But that's another story)

For those of you too impatient too wait for a Dman to develop, make no mistake, Ekblad is better than Nurse already. And if available at 3, he can step right into a top 4 role on this team. There's a reason he was one of Team Canada's best players and Nurse didn't make the team. (Nothing against Nurse) You can't teach Ekblad's intensity and desire to improve his game. He has the same attitude as Crosby. For the record I was in that MacKinnon over Jones camp last year because I do agree Dmen hold a higher risk, but MacKinnon was an obvious stud pick to me. Ekblad is not an 18 yr old boy. He is a man.

Rienhart has proven he can elevate his game. If you watch his highlights, you'll see his ability to find pucks and create plays from all over the ice. At the least, he'll be a highly skilled second line center.

Bennett looks good too, but I would be a little concerned that many of his points are off the rush and behind the net wraparounds. He might have a little tougher time bringing these skill sets to the pro game. But if you dying for a centre, I agree he's the best option after Reinhart.

But here's another option if Ekblad and Reinhart are gone and you can stand taking a winger. Micheal Dal Colle is ranked 3 by the ISS. Yes, I know you want a centre or Dmen, but Dal Colle has size, skill and a tremendous shot. He's a natural goalscorer who can also make plays. The takeaway from this novel, don't take a chance on Draisaitl because you're desparate for a big centre.

#53 Bob Cobb
April 16 2014, 10:33AM

You know who else was a big Center, not overly physical, that could skate, from Prince Albert, Mike Modano. I'm not saying Draisaitl is Modano but if the ownership in Prince Albert got it right once, I'd take that as a good sign on Draisaitl and they are roughly the same size.

Than again what do I know after all it is all speculation at this point.

#54 The artist formerly known as Harry
April 16 2014, 10:34AM
HockeyYodaDotcom wrote:

Very well said. Ekblad is a stud dman and if theres as much risk as people are saying about Drisaitl dont take him.

So if Ekblads gone. Trade the pick or offer Gagner and our first to FLA for the first overall

#55 Jeff
April 16 2014, 10:39AM

The better question is who is the best two way player, since the organization, MacT and Easkins want 2 way players.

I fear if we draft the best of the offencive players, they are going to get frustrated like Nail.

Our Scotting and our Coach/GM need to be on the same page on who we are looking for in a player, than find that player in the draft.

Pick the best talent should always be the best play, however when that player does not fit in what the GM/Coach wants, whats the point.

#56 sizzay
April 16 2014, 10:47AM
HockeyYodaDotcom wrote:

Uhhh Draisaitl played top competition all year. He was the only star on the Raiders. He went head to head against Lazar and could've had about 15 points had his wingers buried their chances. The chances HE created from the corners and shielding the puck and dishing it into the slot on the tape.

As for the World Juniors - he played for Germany... GERMANY. 1 vs 5 every shift.

Top prospects game - Seguin didn't have a great game either. Turned out okay.

I agree with everything else you've said.

#57 The Last Big Bear
April 16 2014, 10:49AM
Zarny wrote:

The Oilers were not "rebuilding" from 2006-07 to 2009-2010. They finished 19th in '06-07 as Lowe chased the dream thinking he could retool the roster for another run at the Cup.

No different than Calgary perennially duct taping their roster together deluding themselves into thinking Iggy and Kipper could carry the team for one last run IF they could just make the playoffs.

Chasing players with offer sheets and get turned down by UFA's is not rebuilding I'm afraid. After Heatley thumbed his nose at Edm and the 2006 roster had unraveled to a last place team they opted for the "rebuild" through the draft route. An unviable option in previous years considering Lowe had traded picks away for the run at the Cup.

That is when they traded away half their roster and started to rebuild.

You should try reality sometime...you'll like it.

The Flames kept their star players, duct taped a veteran roster together, and made the playoffs every year until 2010.

The Oilers traded away their only star player, gutted their roster, dressed a team consisting mostly of guys under 25, and never made the playoffs.

In what universe are these "no different"? One is pretty much the definition of rebuilding, the other is the opposite of rebuilding.

Yes, the Oilers acquired Visnovsky.

I'm pretty sure the Oilers are rebuilding now, and if there was a 31 year old Lubomir Visnovsky on the market right now, or a 6'4" 220lb 50 goal scorer in his prime, the Oilers would be moving the earth and sky to try to sign him. Which, according to you, means the Oilers are not rebuilding.

#koolaidlogic

#58 OilersDynasty
April 16 2014, 11:08AM

Saw this trade idea posted on Lowetides twitter from a person:

To EDM Josh Bailey NYI 5th overall pick 2014

To NYI Sam Gagner EDM 2015 1st round pick

To EDM FLA 1st overall pick 2014

To FLA EDM 3rd overall pick 2014 NYI 5th overall pick 2014

It's intriguing. What do you guys think?

#59 OilersDynasty
April 16 2014, 11:10AM

I also think MacT needs to make a trade for a mid round pick and get Alex Tuch. Mans a beast. 6'3-220

#60 Shawn Mullin
April 16 2014, 11:17AM

I can't speak to Bennett, but I can say Draisaitl played generally with Dakota Conroy on his right wing and throughout the season usually Carson Perreaux or Chance Braid on his left from what I saw. Once Prince Albert added Valcourt from Saskatoon he played with Draisaitl some... but it was on and off from what I saw.

In saying that they weren't hugely high end wingers. Conroy was good enough to be a point per game guy and score 30 goals. However, he was very inconsistent and I think got a huge boost from who he was playing with. Perreaux and Braid are both basically physical grinders. Draisaitl was clearly the one carrying the water on the line. The play started with him and the puck was usually on his stick.

Reinhart meanwhile has had strong and skilled linemates with Kootenay. He is still clearly the best player on his team, but he is surrounded by more skill on his line than Draisaitl was without a doubt.

I'm not saying that puts Draisaitl about Reinhart because Reinhart because there are a million factors in making decisions like that. I'm just saying Reinhart has had better support on his line.

The other side of that is Draisaitl has Josh Morrissey to play with on D and Kootenay doesn't have anyone near that talented offensively on their back end.

#61 WhattaMike
April 16 2014, 11:36AM

First I wish to state that the Oilers need Eckblad most when considering the four to five top prospects in 2014. I say that the Oilers definitely take him in a flash at #4 myself or make a deal without offering up a stupid package with Florida.

Concerning the present open-minded idea of drafting Sam Reinhart at #3 if he's there, I have seen NHL teams in the past...(aka the Oilers)...pick draft prospects such as Pouliot becuase they scored tons of points on their junior team and were stars.

While he is ripping it up for Kootenay, Reinhart plays with great linemates on a very good junior team just as Pouliot once did alongside a super kid named Crosby.

We all know how Pouliot turned out.

Once Eckblad is gone (if he is by #3) the Oil should hold up not for Bennett or reinhart...but go for the big Draisaitl as I believe he is more like a Joe Thornton type guy and this is an excellent second line tpye centre to play with anyone of/or all.. of Hall, Ebs, Perron, Yakupov. Him and Yak could become a dynamic duo alone with his passing and strength to set up Yak's awesome shot.

That being said, the Oilers have until July 1st (I believe) to trade Gagner before his no trade for one yr kicks in. Unless the Oilers make him a third line winger to play with Gordon.... Put him and some prospects in a package for a very good top 4 defenceman to help Ference bring along and teach the kids (Petry, Schultz, Marancin, Klefbom, Nurse).

So.....If Eckblad's gone then...(as armchair GM)...Draisaitl is the next one for the Oilers.

#62 HockeyYodaDotcom
April 16 2014, 11:45AM

@sizzay

I consider higher competition something more than a match-up against another junior team. Such as the prospects game or world junior.

Yes he played for Germany, and I wasn't expecting Draisaitl to walk around people. But I do want to see him protect the puck well, create space for himself when he gets possession and then make a nice pass. I just didn't see that. Could he turn out great? Sure. I just think there's added risk with the warning signs I had stated. And the options look better IMO. I don't think the Oil can afford a miss.

#63 Jordan1126
April 16 2014, 11:45AM
WhattaMike wrote:

We all know how Pouliot turned out.

im pretty sure pouliot only played with crosby during his final junior year, and if i recall correctly this was after he was drafted by the Oilers? If thats the case there is no relation.

#64 Jake
April 16 2014, 11:51AM

I think from reading reports that the Oilers would take in order.

1. Ekblad

2. Draisaitl

3. Bennett

4. Reinhart but only if they trade Yakupov or Eberle. Reinhart is too similar to what Oilers have already.

#65 Zarny
April 16 2014, 11:53AM

You can't help but laugh that some think the answer is another 18 y/o after spending all season dissecting the deficiencies of kids drafted 1st overall.

This is not a high-end draft year. Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl...none of them are projected to be generational talents. None are compared to McDavid or Eichel next year. None of them have Hall's pedigree. Nuge and Yakupov were as good or better prospects than all of them.

Plan A should be to trade the pick. Package it with Klefbom, Marincin, Schultz, Yak, Eberle or whoever is needed to bring in players ready to play now...not in 3-5 years. The only untouchable should be Hall.

And yes, whoever the Oilers trade away will likely be a very good NHL player. So what? That's fine.

The Kings traded away Schenn, Simmonds and Jack Johnson to get Carter and Richards and now they have a Cup. That is how MacT has to think. It doesn't matter if Klefbom or Marincin become good NHLers if we keep the other, have Nurse and get someone like Coburn or Myers back.

And enough with the silly suggestions that Edm won't get anything for their assets. NJ got Cory Schneider for the 9th overall pick last year and the Oilers are sitting on the 3rd pick. Dallas got Seguin, Peverley and a prospect for Eriksson and prospects Reilly Smith, Joe Morrow and Matt Fraser.

Other GM's don't care how long Edm has missed the playoffs or how many Oiler fans have wet their pants and think the sky is falling. If you offer assets they will listen. Full stop.

#66 Towersofdub
April 16 2014, 11:53AM

as a grown man who only follows NHL hockey, i could care less which teenager the Oilers draft. It's unlikely that the kid they draft this summer is going to be the difference between 15th place and 8th place in the Western conference. That change will come from within, and from a combination of trade/free agency.

#67 WhattaMike
April 16 2014, 11:55AM

@Jordon1126

I just checked and I do stand corrected .... Pouliot did play with Crosby in final yr after drafted. Thanks for pointing that out.

I just wanted to point out that if being in the position of choosing either of Renihart or Draisaitl, I think Draisaitl had the lesser type linemates to get points than Reinhart does.

However, it will be very close with from whom to choose.... any of Eckblad, Reinhart, Bennett, or Draisaitl.

#68 Zarny
April 16 2014, 11:56AM

@WhattaMike

Pouliot didn't play with Crosby in his draft year since Crosby wasn't even on the team yet.

#69 backup bob
April 16 2014, 12:34PM

Building for the future is good.

However, there comes a time when the present outweighs the future. MacT wants to keep, and build around 4 mentioned players. Surround these 4 guys with players that can play now, not three years from now.

#70 rob
April 16 2014, 12:39PM

mact trades this pick,ganger will be gone and somehow we get one true defencman,we will se what he does about his forward group

#71 A-Mc
April 16 2014, 12:52PM

This is the first year where i'm actually nervous about what the selections might be at the draft. last year, it didnt really matter how things shook out, i was fairly certain we'd get nurse. But this year, it could go ANY which way. Eckblad and Draisaitl could go 1/2 based on size alone. It's not likely (with Reinhart kicking so much arse) but it's possible.

Player tenacity is a great thing, but at this point i think the Oilers literally need size/weight. I love how Perron plays, but i would probably choose a bigger skilled guy over another guy like Perron. At some point, we need players that can't be pushed around so easily and that comes with size; it doesn't mean our big guy is a goon or plays rough. The other side of it is that often big guys are less susceptible to injury (Draisaitl hasn't missed a game in 2 years, for example)

All the top guys are quite good in their own way, but i would love for the Oiler selection to come into the league already being at or heavier than the League average and not coming in at 185 where we can all hope he eventually hits 200.

205-215 as a starting point is excellent and i hope we get someone in there somewhere.

#72 TigerUnderGlass
April 16 2014, 12:56PM

@TonyT

I think the Oilers take Draisatl, but I want Bennett because he is competitive.

Fixed.

#73 Stack Pad Save
April 16 2014, 01:23PM

@A-Mc

I feel the complete opposite. This is the year the Oilers can't mess up by picking the best player available (cough Yakupov) and can actually take the player they need. 1 of Draisaitl, Bennet or Eckblad will be around. They are the player types the Oilers have a hole that needs to be filled..... Oilers need a second line center, as this season proved Gagner cannot be that person, maybe Bennet or Draisatle can be that person. The Oilers also have holes in their D corps, Eckblad will fill that role sooner than Nurse.

#74 jeremy
April 16 2014, 01:30PM
The Last Big Bear wrote:

Yes, the Oilers acquired Visnovsky.

#koolaidlogic

Wow, just wow. I love how you think that Smyth was the oilers only star player, now being a flames fan, I assume with the amount of written pleasures you give them, I know you are used to junk hockey players but no he was far from the oilers only "star player" (if you are calling him that then it is you who set that bar low) Hemsky and Horcoff would also have been stars, as well as Vishnovsky, Souray, and Roloson (all over 25 as well) so no they did "burn it to the ground" as you said, as MANY have said that process did not start til 2010

#75 bwar
April 16 2014, 01:43PM

1. Sam Reinhart 2. Aaron Ekblad 3. Sam Bennett

Oilers should end their first round scouting after those three. Draisaitl is a much bigger gamble than any of those three and should be completely removed from the conversation for the first round pick. Bennett should be the player that the Oilers are drooling over at #3 and if he gets grabbed earlier then the Oilers should still be ecstatic to get Reinhart or Ekblad. Don't trade the pick, don't gamble with the pick, just stick to the script and take one of the Sam's or the D-man.

#76 CaptainLander
April 16 2014, 01:45PM

Gags and the pick for Seabrook? That what worth it?

#77 Sorensenator
April 16 2014, 02:11PM
The Last Big Bear wrote:

Yes, the Oilers acquired Visnovsky.

#koolaidlogic

They are completely different, they lost Chris Pronger not by choice and they put together a roster they felt would still compete for a playoff position for the next 4 years. Your memory must be poor, because prior to the next season after the cup run, TSN was talking about how much of an offensive powerhouse this team could be with as many as "10" 20 goal scorers. Two years later, the Oilers were the in the top 3 in the league in offense from the defensive core. Although you may of perceived it as a rebuild because the mix of players changed, they had no intention of breaking it completely down until 2010 when Taylor and Tyler went head to head.

#78 gk1980
April 16 2014, 02:55PM
Sorensenator wrote:

Bennet? Yes lets draft another small skilled forward... At least Leon has size and strength. Also he played for Germany at the world juniors, one of the worst teams at the tournament, I was there in Sweden.

Serious!? Did you watch the world juniors, Leon was one of the most dynamic players in the tournament considering he was on a weak team.

He was absolutly the core of the German team, in fact the tournament is where I noticed this guy and knew he would go top 5. he was exceptional in the tournament.

#79 Tikkanese
April 16 2014, 03:33PM
Zarny wrote:

That is when they traded away half their roster and started to rebuild.

You should try reality sometime...you'll like it.

It may be technically since 2010 but to all of us old timers who witnessed the glory days it feels like a rebuild since 1993. We've basically either barely squeeked into the playoffs or missed out since then and really tanked it lately.

We've witnessed Ted Green 1st unit Powerplays featuring MacT and Bucky up front with Luke Richardson manning the point. To ressurections of Gord Mark. To Peter Klima leading the Oilers in points with 48 one season. 48 points. To a brief bit of glory with the Weight - Guerin - Smyth line who upset Dallas and Colorado in the first round and also our magical 2006. Other than that it has pretty much sucked since 1993.

#80 The Last Big Bear
April 16 2014, 03:38PM

@Sorensenator

A quick check of the 2007-08 season and it looks like only 1 of the Oilers top 9 scoring forwards was over the age of 25.

This year four of them were.

Can we maybe define what a rebuild is then, because if that's not a rebuild to you then you're clearly talking about something vastly different from the rest of the hockey world.

#81 TKB2677
April 16 2014, 03:54PM

@TonyT

Who's going to be big enough to get to the front of the net where most of the goals are scored or battle physically with the likes of a Kopitar, Getzlaf, etc if the Oilers add another barely 6ft, maybe 200lb with equipment on when he turns 23 forward to their already small line up?

Perron, Yakupov, Eberle are all under 6ft and all under 200lbs. Perron and Eberle are in their low 20's, they aren't getting any bigger. Yak is 185 right now, he MIGHT add another 10 to his frame. Nuge is 6'1, 180 at 20. He might add another 10lbs.

There is 4 out of your top 6 guys already. Hall is 6'1, 201 at 22. Could he add maybe another 5 lbs?

So there's 5 out of 6 of your top 6. Bennett is 6ft, 180. So what's realistic? Another 15 lbs, MAYBE 20. Who's battling in the corners? Who's winning puck battles against 225lbs Dmen? Who's standing in front of the net and actually keeping that posiiton for longer than 1 second? Who's actually getting to the front of the net with the puck? You can't score all your goals on the rush. At some point you have to win puck battles and a 225lb Dmen or other forward is going to win WAY MORE battles than a guy that's barely 200. That's physics people!!

What is easier to do? Draft an already 6'1 1/2, 208lb at 18 year old second line center that costs you nothing and trade for 1 more bigger winger or try and trade for 2 bigger players? Eberle scored 28 goals and 65pts. What do you think it will cost to get a bigger player that can score that much? Eberle + more. Perron is similar. He scored 28 goals, 57 pts. Same problem as Eberle.

#82 oilguy
April 16 2014, 04:16PM

trade eberle, gagner, 2014 1st round pick and david musil to NYI for Tavares...

#83 hagargt
April 16 2014, 04:43PM

Trade this year's 3rd overall plus Gagne to Buffalo for their next year's first overall.

Buffalo would then be picking 2nd, 3rd, and 5th (probably) in one draft giving them an awesome head start on a re-build.

Then next year the oiler with their high chance of shiating the bed again, and buffalo in the same boat, we might have a chance at two of the top three in a crazy good draft,or maybe even get the top two guys!

#84 seriousy
April 16 2014, 04:57PM
hagargt wrote:

Why would buffalo trade a pick that could very well be McDavid... That makes no sense on their half...

#85 hagargt
April 16 2014, 05:00PM
seriousy wrote:

But they get Sam Gagne too!!! Bwhahhahahahahahahaa

#86 hagargt
April 16 2014, 05:04PM

Not to mention not every team has a Kevin Lowe... most teams can't even stomach the thought of sucking a year longer than they have to. Getting 3 guys into development asap, shortens their re-build by a ways.

#87 Mustangheart
April 16 2014, 06:21PM
Stack Pad Save wrote:

I agree completely.

I would work backwards and start discussing now with other GM's what they would want in a trade for the likes of a Weber (a top 1D or a two way 2C)

Regardless of who they pick in the draft, they will not make a huge impact for the first couple years. The Oilers need experience NOW. The fans will not accept another year like the last 8.

Except the top line of Hall, Eberle and the Nuge, Perron and Shultz, and the 2 goalies, all others are expandable.

Trade the pick if need be, to land that 1st D or 2nd C. For the Oilers even to have a dream of making the playoffs next year, these are two crucial pieces that need to be in place before training camp.

#88 Harlie
April 16 2014, 06:40PM

Leon Helm this ship.

#89 Chambers
April 16 2014, 06:43PM
OilersDynasty wrote:

Saw this trade idea posted on Lowetides twitter from a person:

To EDM Josh Bailey NYI 5th overall pick 2014

To NYI Sam Gagner EDM 2015 1st round pick

To EDM FLA 1st overall pick 2014

To FLA EDM 3rd overall pick 2014 NYI 5th overall pick 2014

It's intriguing. What do you guys think?

29 other teams are just waiting for Edmonton's garbage players for quality players in return...hahahah!

Your logic is no different than 6 rings and MacT. Expect to obtain better players without giving up any of your first overalls. What a joke. In fact it is becoming obvious the Oiler 1st overalls appear to have little market value. They have lost their confidence, are overpaid (gap contracts avoided by management) and they have a losing culture. They simply do not know how to win.

Keep dreaming..another 5 years of bottom 5 finishes at a minimum!

#90 Woogie63
April 16 2014, 07:49PM

Lots are writing we need a 2C, why is RNH the only choice for 1C?

RNH is loaded with talent, but serious competition will make him better ...

Rienhart

Bennett

Then Drisaital

#91 BLAKPOO
April 16 2014, 08:04PM

@DT

I see what you're getting at, but the point is still the same.

We have obvious needs NOW at centre and defence. We shouldn't be drafting for what we need now, we should be drafting for 3-5 years from now.

These kids are good, but the Oilers need a #1-2 dman and a #1-2 centre. You don't get them from the current draft, these should be kids that we drafted 3-5 years ago. Kids that have developed in a strong system, played some pro games, and if you're lucky, have a little NHL experience.

We have some good D prospects, but nothing at centre. So now MacT has to go out and earn his paycheque, and bring in high calibre talent from outside our system without breaking the bank to do so.

If you're counting on Bennett or Draisaitl to leap into Gagner's spot and start winning games for us, you're mad. If you expect Ekblad to run our powerplay and manhandle the opposition, you're mad.

You need men to win in the NHL, not boys. The Oilers have proven that. And if we were a solid NHL team, Yakupov would have been finding his confidence in the minors, only emerging with Hemsky's departure and being exactly what this team needs "right now".

#92 Anton CP
April 16 2014, 09:55PM

Ekblad has size but he is not a physical player, so I guess he would fit with softy Oilers.

#93 Oilcan
April 16 2014, 10:07PM

I don't understand the knock on Draisaitl that he is big but isn't physical, I love hard checking players but to me Draisaitl uses his size for something that matters way more in a game then hits and that is protecting the puck. He is very strong coming off the boards and charging the net (exactly something the Oilers need). He is also just a strong player he doesn't need to lay a guy out but if he can tie a man up in front of the Oilers net when backchecking then that is what is needed. He doesn't need blazing speed because he can pass and let the wingers carry it in the zone. He can also retrieve pucks (the size does help) which is something the Oilers desperately need, especially on the PP.

I am no expert but Draisaitl seems to be exactly what the Oilers need. I think id be willing to give up 10-15 individual points from him to Bennett if he can do the things from the first paragraph in the NHL.

#94 hagargt
April 17 2014, 12:53AM
Woogie63 wrote:

Lots are writing we need a 2C, why is RNH the only choice for 1C?

RNH is loaded with talent, but serious competition will make him better ...

Rienhart

Bennett

Then Drisaital

Wow!! Nugent isn't even close to being a 2 c on any team in the league save for the oilers...

I tried to write a big meaningful thing after that point, but nothing came.

Put Nuge as a second center on LA, Loius, Chicago, or the ducks... I don't see anything but negative.

#95 hagargt
April 17 2014, 01:10AM

We live our lives in a world of suck thanks to to oilers performance.

We get so used to ups and downs in performance, that we don't even have a scale anymore.

Every other team in the league loses their shiat after one year of what we consider "minor" issues.

That was the most redundant thing I habe ever typed... I actually felt myself get 5 yearts older.

#96 jeremy
April 17 2014, 12:11PM
Chambers wrote:

Keep dreaming..another 5 years of bottom 5 finishes at a minimum!

The only joke is Oilers fans sense of reality, do you even know what bridge contracts mean ? So lets say Taylor Hall gets a "bridge deal" for 2 years at what 4.5 or 5 mill and then have to pay him 8 or 9 mill per year for 7 years, yes because that makes so much sense, and you can use that for eberle as well, especially after the Clarkson signing, yay we pay Jordan (70 - 75 point player) 4.5 mill for 2 years ohhh wait because of Clarkson among others we will have to pay him 7 - 8 mill for 7 years, yes that makes so much sense.

As well if you think there are not 29 other gms that would want any of the "top" picks then I question your knowledge.

But I know your response I am drinking the kool aid because I actually use common sense.