MICHAEL DAL COLLE

Lowetide
April 22 2014 04:26PM

Our look into the 2014 NHL Entry Draft continues today with Michael Dal Colle. The video highlights show a few things: he can shoot, deke and score goals. Will he be an Oiler in June? Let's take a look.

SO FAR IN THE SERIES.....

and now Dal Colle.

iss tweet

SCOUTING REPORT

"Kid has an excellent release -- that's the first thing I always think of. Power forward with notable skill. Opponents are always on edge when he's on the ice. Excited to see him run over the East in the playoffs this year." - Anonymous

That quote and others courtesy OHL Prospects

MICHAEL DAL COLLE: THE NUMBERS

DAL COLLE AND THE CENTERS

Even-strength scoring is an important factor for prospects, because most players don't spend time on the power play early in their NHL careers.

DAL COLLE AND THE CENTERS PP

Dal Colle shows better here, among the best in the group. In reading his scouting reports, it does appear we're dealing with a very high school player.

NOT ONE DAMN CHANCE!

There are a couple of things that suggest Dal Colle won't be an Oiler. First, he's a natural winger. Edmonton has a center in their wheelhouse at third overall, we just don't know his name. In order for the Oilers to take a winger, he would have to be head and shoulders better than Reinhart, Bennett and Dal Colle. That doesn't appear to be the case.

• Reinhart is 6.01, 183 skilled and not overly physical.
    • Bennett is 6.0, 181 and physical. He has 118pims
    • Draisaitl is 6.01, 209 and wins battles but is not truculent. He has 24pims
    • Dal Colle is 6.02, 171 and had 34 pims this season.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

dog dog

The team getting Dal Colle is going to be very happy, but I don't think it'll be the Oilers. His skills would be welcome for any team, but the Oilers have avoided addressing strength up the middle for so long they have no choice in the matter in 2014.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
    #1 Rama Lama
    April 22 2014, 06:49PM

Oh Boy,

I cant wait for Eakins to teach him how to be an NHL player..........Lowetide do you know if he has a taste for donuts??

Since donuts are banned, our players under Eakins and his "no donut rule", have regressed? It's time to bring donuts back!!!

Props if you want to see donuts back and Eakins banned.

#2 Will
    April 22 2014, 04:41PM

I have a feeling the Oilers are saying take Ekblad if he's there. If not they'll take Draisaitl for a good skill and size one two punch up the middle.

Everyone is freaked out about Calgary getting the better player we don't take. Say that player is Reinhart since I can't see Bennet falling to 3 anyway.

So is Monahan and Reinheart better than Nuge and Draisaitl? I don't think so.

Ideally Ekblad would be there, we take him, pay Stasny a whole lot of money, then trade Gagner for literally anything.

#3 Joe
    April 22 2014, 06:39PM

If Draisaitl was 6 '4 I would say yes, even though his skating could be an issue. But at 6 '1 he will not dominate in the NHL if he is not aggressive.

For me Bennett or Ekblad.

#4 Fish
    April 22 2014, 04:48PM

Tis a fine barn, but surely it's no BBQ pit - The Simpsons

Great sounding player, but he's not what we need. He's hardly bigger than Reinheart or RNH for that matter. Reluctant to use the term powerforward unless he really has some filling out to do with the frame to support it.

Bennett should be our target. Anyone who claims his size is an issue for him has not watched the Sharks in the post season. Torres and Brown are both 6' and under and no one would say that they are not big enough to physically impact a game. Height is nice, but it doesn't tell you a lick about how someone plays. I'll take a firery 6'0, over 6'2 and strong on the puck any day. Especially when he's a Center, who plays a 200ft game and is more talented.

Discussion over.

To bad the Oilers didn't have a Brown or a Torres type play for them... Face palm :(

#5 #ThereGoesTheOilers
    April 22 2014, 05:11PM

I have yet to hear a reasonable argument as to why we should draft Draisaitl over Bennett and Reinhart other than that he's big.

Given how taken the Oilers organization is with him (albeit from second-hand comments), I find this concerning.

#6 bwar
    April 22 2014, 06:47PM

I like how no one is the comments gives one crap about Dal Colle.

#7 Oiler Al
    April 22 2014, 10:15PM
    Step Daddy J wrote:

Reinhart is Better Than Nuge and more of a goal scorer than Nathan MacKinnon . All you peons thrashing my comments have no idea how good Reinhart is . I have been involved in hockey all my life . I know something special when I see it .

Know something..... Is that you Kevin.

#8 Total Points
    April 22 2014, 09:59PM

The Kings will put Richards on the 4th line. He may or may not be injured but would Eakins move Gagner to the wing or down a line or 2 until he starts to play better. No........

Eakins is probably the worst coach in the NHL

#9 Al Low
    April 22 2014, 11:26PM

Seems pretty simple to me. Top 3 pick and Ekblad, Reinhart and Bennett are the projected top 3 picks. Whoever's left at the 3 spot is the guy the Oilers should pick. I'm not sure why everybody's so apprehensive about Reinhart. This guy potentially would take over 1st line duties from RNH eventually and he's probably the most NHL ready of all of the forwards. I think Draisaitl would be a very risky pick and if they're going about it just to add size, that's stupid, which makes it likely these idiots go for him.

#10 Sketchy
    April 22 2014, 05:30PM

5 years into the rebuild we have our complementary wingers. Time to build a foundation of centre and Dman.

#11 hankthetank
    April 22 2014, 07:39PM

Hey we signed Simpson.

#12 ThatButthurtOilersFan
    April 22 2014, 05:34PM
    Step Daddy J wrote:

If Florida didn't dive at the end of the year ( Florida played horrible ) Edmonton would have finished 2 nd last and won the the Lottery Draft . Sam Reinhart is the real deal . I've been watching this kid for over two years and he's a star ! Florida is gonna take him first , and Buffalo is gonna take Bennett 2 nd . Yes Ekblad is awesome and the Oilers will get him third , but Reinhart , man , we where so close to getting him .

From what I've seen/heard, Reinhart is Nuge v2. at some point, we need to draft players that aren't the exact same type of players.

#13 dougtheslug
    April 22 2014, 09:59PM

If Oilers tank next season and finish 30th, they have 1 chance in 4 of winning the Connor MacDavid sweepstakes.

Ask Buffalo how much they enjoyed this years draft lottery.

Another year of suckage to be able to say "Missed by that much", would be unendurable.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if KLowe and Co. have any better ideas.

#14 A-Mc
    April 22 2014, 04:45PM

I would love to have Sam Reinheart. I just wish his Wt column started with a 2; and really that's the only reason why someone wouldnt take him 1st overall, the kid is fantastic.

#15 TonyT
    April 22 2014, 04:47PM

I think the top 3 is clearly set among scouts (Reinhart, Eckblad, Bennett), are Draisatl and Dal Colle equals or is one head and shoulder above the other? It seems to me that the only people pumping Draisatl's tires (to borrow an expression) are Oiler people...

#16 New Season New Hope
    April 22 2014, 05:54PM

I think everyone agrees we need a new second line center. For me, I want a guy who can win faceoffs, control the puck in the offensive zone, and can actually win puck battles against men. A lot of people really seem to want a guy who plays with a mean streak and figure Bennett is the guy. I think we already have a guy like that in Perron. We need some more diversity in our forwards and I think Draisatl brings that. He is bigger than any forward that we have, plays a puck posession game (something we don't have a lot of), and has similar numbers to the other top centers. To me, he plays a similar style of game to a bunch of other players in our division (Getzlaf, Perry, Marleau, Kopitar, and Thorton) and has similar size. As a second line center, if he comes even close to any of those guys, I am happy. The Oilers do not need another smaller center that can't win faceoffs against men. We can't send our third or fourth line center out every time we need to win a draw. There are very few smaller superstar centers in this league.

#17 blainer
    April 22 2014, 04:59PM

I like Sam Bennett but believe Bennett and Ekblad may be gone. I think the choices will be Reinhart and Draisaitl. I will be happy with either center but think Reinhart has a higher ceiling. One thing is for sure ..we are getting a great player when ya think any of the first three could go first overall ..therefore in my mind there are three first overall picks and we are getting one of them.

#18 Walter Sobchak
    April 23 2014, 12:27AM

Well, I have to agree with Quicksilver on trying to secure the NYI pick.

The Oilers are much the same across the board in the top six, a lot of skill but no jam.

I hope the Oilers don’t over think this draft, if the Oilers don’t draft Bennett then I’m convinced they have zero idea how to build a team.

Bennett adds a desperate dimension the Oilers need, however, if the Oilers could secure another pick to choose one of Dal Colle , Virtanen or Ritchie wouldn’t that be heaven.

#19 Jerod
    April 22 2014, 06:30PM
    Joy S. Lee wrote:

By the way, I somewhat agree with faithfully embarrassed, and would probably be ok with Drasaitl based on what I've heard. I saw him play about 5 minutes this year, and he made one drive to the front of the net that really impressed me. Other than that, I wouldn't know, but that play alone showed me that he may be what we need, too.

The guy I don't really want out of the top 5 group is probably Reinhart, believe it or not. He is a superb prospect, but I just don't see him being the right fit for the Oilers.

Ekblad would be great. Bennett or Draisaitl would fit the bill. If Bennett truly is a Doug Gilmour clone, I'd love that. Draisaitl brings the size down the middle. If it came to Reinhart, I'd make a deal, because you know somebody REALLY wants him, the question is, who, and for what?

From what I read there is a somewhat large separation after the top 3. I don't want the Oilers to pick Draisaitl because he 1inch taller than the other centres. If Oilers think he is BPA then take him., but don't force it.

#20 YFC Prez
    April 22 2014, 04:32PM

NOT ONE DAMN CHANCE. Yup. That'll do.

#21 Jerod
    April 22 2014, 04:56PM

My guess of the Oilers list would be:

Ekblad

Bennett

Reinhart

Draisaitl

However I think the Oilers are trying to convince themselves that Draisaitl should be their pick. Since he is the biggest centre in the top 5. My guess from what i read in reality he should be a top 10 pick.

#22 Quicksilver ballet
    April 22 2014, 06:50PM

Could be a good year to grab two of these kids. That Islander/Sabres pick at 5 may be available for a price. Maybe it's attainable this draft. Bennett and Dal Colle would be a boost inside of 24 months (after Eakins is fired).

With next season flushed down the pooper already, there's nothing wrong with adding 2 higher end prospects.

Contrary to popular belief, MacTavish won't be filling either of those top 2 blueliner/2nd line center positions after July 1st. Its not very sexy but rebuilding from within one premium selection at a time is our only option. It'll be 3 or 4 years before this team is a playoff team anyways. Sewering your NHL roster next season greatly increases your chances for the top 2 kids in next summers draft. Short term pain, long term gain.

#23 Quicksilver ballet
    April 22 2014, 07:05PM
    Joe wrote:

For me Bennett or Ekblad.

Amen Joe.

#24 Spydyr
    April 23 2014, 01:38AM
    A-Mc wrote:

Can't wait for the draft. If we dont get Ekblad, then our #3 overall might actually play in the NHL next season. He'll likely be a centerman, like you say, and i wonder if that is what pushes Samwise to the wing finally?

Gagner (RW), Draisaitl (C), Perron (LW)

Might actually work out well. Samwise is probably going to bounce back nicely after his crappy season as well. He'll be playing for pride!

So Snowpants will bounce back huh.

Bounce back to seven years of soft play, weak defensively, weak on the puck, cannot win a one on one battle.

He tried to hit two guys the last game he played bounced off both like a bug off a windshield.First one he slid into the net knocking it off,Second one he hurt himself.

You are watching the playoffs right? Time for Sam to move along.

#25 blainer
    April 22 2014, 06:13PM

Crosby, Tavares, datsyuk, Giroux....All play in the east..

#26 New Season New Hope
    April 22 2014, 06:13PM

@Jackson

Tavares is 205, Datzyuk is 198

Mackinnon, Giroux, and Krejci are the only good to great centers in the playoffs under 190

Two of those three have big wingers beside them.

#27 bwar
    April 22 2014, 06:44PM

Please stop with the Draisaitl talk. The pick will be either one of the two Sam's or Ekblad. Bennet is probably the best fit and if he is available at #3 I will be shocked if the Oilers pass him up.

#28 Woogie63
    April 22 2014, 11:20PM

We need to draft the best available centre.

RNH is not a number one centre right now, 60th in league scoring, 27th amoungst centers and 217th best on the dot.

Bennett or Reinhardt make the most sense if you are looking for a number one centre.

#29 A-Mc
    April 22 2014, 04:37PM

Gagner (RW), Draisaitl (C), Perron (LW)

#30 Jackson
    April 22 2014, 06:17PM

@New Season New Hope

What was there weight when they entered the NHL?

#31 OilClog
    April 22 2014, 10:24PM
    Step Daddy J wrote:

Brilliance!

King of the Urinal pads!

Fumes are enticing someone's brains

#32 Crispy
    April 23 2014, 01:48AM
    dougtheslug wrote:

Ask Buffalo how much they enjoyed this years draft lottery.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if KLowe and Co. have any better ideas.

2015 will actually be the best year to tank in quite some time. The 30th place team is guaranteed a top two pick and McDavid isn't the concencus top prospect. He beat out Jack Eichle 5-4 in a recent poll. The team that will really be kicking themselves will be the ones drafting #3.

#33 K_Mart
    April 23 2014, 07:20AM

In typical Oilers fashion, the year the draft is the strongest(2015), we will finish 9th in the west. #herecometheoilers

#34 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
    April 23 2014, 07:53AM

Bennett. I'd love to watch Bennett and Monahan thrash each other senseless every BoA.

#35 jonny94
    April 22 2014, 08:38PM

Glad Dillon Simpson signed with us, wish him nothing but the best of luck!

#36 Reg Dunlop
    April 22 2014, 09:45PM

Man, watching LA and the Sharks POUND each other leaves me absolutely without hope for the oil. Unfortunately, if the oil want Draisaitl they will get him as no other team on the planet would pick a sleeper ahead of the consensus top 3. If you want a soccer player or a dictator to get the trains to run on schedule Germany is where you look. Saviors for failing NHL teams... look elsewhere.

As for Quick's suggestion that one more tank job is the way to go and that the only option is to draft, develop and build from within... my distaste for those comments are only exceeded by the amount of truth they hold.

#37 They're $hittie
    April 22 2014, 04:58PM

If you need 75 cents in change for the candy machine and it doesnt take dollar bills, is it best to take three quarters from your mom, or a dollar bill from your dad and go get four quarters in change elsewhere, spend the 75 cents and have a quarter left over.

Ekblad, Reinhart are $1.00 bills, Draisaitl is 75 cents

we need the 75 cents but is it not better to get the free dollar if availabe and trade for 4 quarters.

#38 backup bob
    April 22 2014, 08:04PM

Has anyone heard about the Great One taking the GM position with the Rangers?

Apparently Sather will announce his retirement after the playoffs, due to health issues. The Gretzky home in California is for sale.

Gretzky turned down the GM job for the Leafs.

#39 Acumen
    April 22 2014, 04:44PM

I like him better than Draisaitl, just think he has every tool you ask for including the intelligence and maturity to put them all together. #4 on my list and right in line with Bennett.

I probably over value the guy, but I love the player type. Same reason I was gaga for Monahan all of last year.

If he says that he can and will play Center moving forward in the pre-draft interviews, and Reinhart's gone, I would be very very happy with the selection.

#40 Step Daddy J
    April 22 2014, 05:09PM

#41 wintoon
    April 23 2014, 07:25AM

The Oilers need to draft the BPA. No question that Reinhart would be a dynamic addition. With he and RNH at the #1 and 32 C positions the Oilers would be in great shape for years to come. Think Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

While they are similar in style of play, they are both excellent playmakers and offensive weapons. Furthermore, we have seen RNH commit to improving his D zone play and he has done well.

This draft will be a key to the Oilers future. What they must do is draft a centre that can take pressure off the first line and still provide some offensive push. Reinhart would give them this. As a second option, Bennett would appear to also have tremendous upside. All this talk about Draisaitl is really just a red herring.

#42 Jackson
    April 22 2014, 06:02PM
    New Season New Hope wrote:

Datsyuk

#43 TonyT
    April 22 2014, 09:13PM

6'1" (Draisatl) is big? Maybe he's the biggest C at the top of the draft but we're talking about an inch here. Because Oilers...

#44 Oilerboy1112
    April 22 2014, 09:16PM
    New Season New Hope wrote:

RNH

#45 Quicksilver ballet
    April 22 2014, 09:29PM
    Gk1980 wrote:

Short term pain long term gain!! That's hilarious! It's already been long term pain short term gain! I want to win NOW! Do whatever it takes. If we all knew a trade for hall would get us into the playoffs or make us a contender we would do it in a heart beat!

Not sure where you've been. Last last 8 seasons have been a resounding success. Every imaginable dollar has been has been harvested by this team. Don't give me all this bleeding heart fan bullship.

The past is the past, and of no value anymore. Next season is the only concern now. Selling every seat and getting every advertising dollar ( a slam dunk I'm sure) available is far more important than what happens on the ice.

Ownership will worry about on ice success after they take a run at Connor McDavid next season, and that's only 14 months away. Nobody cares if you feel you're not getting your moneys worth. Someone else will gladly buy your tickets.

#46 Hair bag
    April 22 2014, 10:25PM
    backup bob wrote:

Has anyone heard about the Great One taking the GM position with the Rangers?

Gretzky turned down the GM job for the Leafs.

That would have to piss the moose off if it's true! No matter how good of friends him and Wayne are.....

#47 HardBoiledOil
    April 22 2014, 09:55PM
    hankthetank wrote:

Hey we signed Simpson.

and a lot of fans said we didn't have room for Simpson here.

#48 Jackson
    April 22 2014, 05:59PM
    New Season New Hope wrote:

Crosby

#49 Jackson
    April 22 2014, 06:07PM

Nathan MacKinnon

#50 Sizzay
    April 23 2014, 06:37AM
    Walter Sobchak wrote:

Well, I have to agree with Quicksilver on trying to secure the NYI pick.

How would the oilers get that other pick? Likely by trading a roster player which would make us worse again. Terrible ideA. If you want to use the 2015 1st to somehow get another 2014 1st (which it won't) that's also a bad idea since that's a good trade chip for Another nhl player. More prospects won't help.

Draisaitl adds a different dimension too. Watch him play. I'm ok with drafting bennet as well but lean to draisatl.