MICHAEL DAL COLLE

Lowetide
April 22 2014 04:26PM

Our look into the 2014 NHL Entry Draft continues today with Michael Dal Colle. The video highlights show a few things: he can shoot, deke and score goals. Will he be an Oiler in June? Let's take a look.

SO FAR IN THE SERIES.....

and now Dal Colle.

iss tweet

SCOUTING REPORT

"Kid has an excellent release -- that's the first thing I always think of. Power forward with notable skill. Opponents are always on edge when he's on the ice. Excited to see him run over the East in the playoffs this year." - Anonymous

That quote and others courtesy OHL Prospects

MICHAEL DAL COLLE: THE NUMBERS

DAL COLLE AND THE CENTERS

Even-strength scoring is an important factor for prospects, because most players don't spend time on the power play early in their NHL careers.

DAL COLLE AND THE CENTERS PP

Dal Colle shows better here, among the best in the group. In reading his scouting reports, it does appear we're dealing with a very high school player.

NOT ONE DAMN CHANCE!

There are a couple of things that suggest Dal Colle won't be an Oiler. First, he's a natural winger. Edmonton has a center in their wheelhouse at third overall, we just don't know his name. In order for the Oilers to take a winger, he would have to be head and shoulders better than Reinhart, Bennett and Dal Colle. That doesn't appear to be the case.

• Reinhart is 6.01, 183 skilled and not overly physical.
    • Bennett is 6.0, 181 and physical. He has 118pims
    • Draisaitl is 6.01, 209 and wins battles but is not truculent. He has 24pims
    • Dal Colle is 6.02, 171 and had 34 pims this season.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

dog dog

The team getting Dal Colle is going to be very happy, but I don't think it'll be the Oilers. His skills would be welcome for any team, but the Oilers have avoided addressing strength up the middle for so long they have no choice in the matter in 2014.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
    #1 A-Mc
    April 22 2014, 04:37PM

Can't wait for the draft. If we dont get Ekblad, then our #3 overall might actually play in the NHL next season. He'll likely be a centerman, like you say, and i wonder if that is what pushes Samwise to the wing finally?

Gagner (RW), Draisaitl (C), Perron (LW)

Might actually work out well. Samwise is probably going to bounce back nicely after his crappy season as well. He'll be playing for pride!

#2 Step Daddy J
    April 22 2014, 05:09PM

If Florida didn't dive at the end of the year ( Florida played horrible ) Edmonton would have finished 2 nd last and won the the Lottery Draft . Sam Reinhart is the real deal . I've been watching this kid for over two years and he's a star ! Florida is gonna take him first , and Buffalo is gonna take Bennett 2 nd . Yes Ekblad is awesome and the Oilers will get him third , but Reinhart , man , we where so close to getting him .

#3 K_Mart
    April 23 2014, 07:18AM

Trading the first round pick+ for Spezza and signing UFA Ales Hemsky would be the ultimate move IMO.

Trade Gags for a bag of pucks, then make a bold move by trading one of Perron, Yak, or Eberle in a package for a top d man.

impossible you say? Yeah me too. But that bromance between Spezza and Hemsky would look great in Edmonton.

#4 They're $hittie
    April 22 2014, 04:58PM

If you need 75 cents in change for the candy machine and it doesnt take dollar bills, is it best to take three quarters from your mom, or a dollar bill from your dad and go get four quarters in change elsewhere, spend the 75 cents and have a quarter left over.

Ekblad, Reinhart are $1.00 bills, Draisaitl is 75 cents

we need the 75 cents but is it not better to get the free dollar if availabe and trade for 4 quarters.

#5 Joy S. Lee
    April 22 2014, 06:06PM

Agreed that we are almost forced into choosing a Center; mind you, this is a good year for C's at the top of the draft.

Draft C Bennett.

Free Agents the Oil should seriously consider: C - M.Santorelli (Van) D - Orpik (Pitt), M.Greene (LA), Niskanen (Pitt)

On short-term contracts, sign FA Santorelli (Stastny only premium C available, suggesting price will be astronomical) to play C. Only need 1 FA D-man, and I would suggest the two Penguins are the most likely to be able to handle 1st pairing minutes.

Trade whatever works, but maybe a Gagner + Fasth + 2nd and 4th in '16 + 3rd in '15 to Wpg for Pavelec + 1st in '14 + 1st in '15. We get an extra shot at McDavid/Eichorn. Addresses Jets' needs, then use the '14 pick to select a large winger with skill, either Ritchie, Virtanen, maybe Tuch, even though I'd absolutely love to see N.Ehlers (another small guy, but SO skilled and great hockey sense)fall in our laps. [At this moment, I'd rate Ehlers 4th overall on the list, possibly higher or a tad lower.]

Ok, so I'm dreaming about all of this. Fun to do at times, and necessary when you're a fan of the Oil. I'm tired of turning on the playoffs to watch everybody else play. Would be nice to see MacT obtain some more picks, though, we're 29th and missing a bunch of draft picks over the next couple of years. We'd best nail the ones we get, or we're in bigger trouble...

#6 Sizzay
    April 22 2014, 09:47PM
    Reg Dunlop wrote:

Man, watching LA and the Sharks POUND each other leaves me absolutely without hope for the oil. Unfortunately, if the oil want Draisaitl they will get him as no other team on the planet would pick a sleeper ahead of the consensus top 3. If you want a soccer player or a dictator to get the trains to run on schedule Germany is where you look. Saviors for failing NHL teams... look elsewhere.

As for Quick's suggestion that one more tank job is the way to go and that the only option is to draft, develop and build from within... my distaste for those comments are only exceeded by the amount of truth they hold.

You idiot, no players In this draft are saviours. Take your dumb comments elsewhere.

#7 Step Daddy J
    April 22 2014, 09:48PM
    ThatButthurtOilersFan wrote:

From what I've seen/heard, Reinhart is Nuge v2. at some point, we need to draft players that aren't the exact same type of players.

Reinhart is Better Than Nuge and more of a goal scorer than Nathan MacKinnon . All you peons thrashing my comments have no idea how good Reinhart is . I have been involved in hockey all my life . I know something special when I see it .

#8 Woogie63
    April 22 2014, 11:20PM

We need to draft the best available centre.

RNH is not a number one centre right now, 60th in league scoring, 27th amoungst centers and 217th best on the dot.

Bennett or Reinhardt make the most sense if you are looking for a number one centre.

#9 Quicksilver ballet
    April 22 2014, 06:50PM

Could be a good year to grab two of these kids. That Islander/Sabres pick at 5 may be available for a price. Maybe it's attainable this draft. Bennett and Dal Colle would be a boost inside of 24 months (after Eakins is fired).

With next season flushed down the pooper already, there's nothing wrong with adding 2 higher end prospects.

Contrary to popular belief, MacTavish won't be filling either of those top 2 blueliner/2nd line center positions after July 1st. Its not very sexy but rebuilding from within one premium selection at a time is our only option. It'll be 3 or 4 years before this team is a playoff team anyways. Sewering your NHL roster next season greatly increases your chances for the top 2 kids in next summers draft. Short term pain, long term gain.

#10 Total Points
    April 22 2014, 09:59PM

The Kings will put Richards on the 4th line. He may or may not be injured but would Eakins move Gagner to the wing or down a line or 2 until he starts to play better. No........

Eakins is probably the worst coach in the NHL

#11 Jackson
    April 22 2014, 06:07PM

Nathan MacKinnon

#12 Will
    April 22 2014, 04:41PM

I have a feeling the Oilers are saying take Ekblad if he's there. If not they'll take Draisaitl for a good skill and size one two punch up the middle.

Everyone is freaked out about Calgary getting the better player we don't take. Say that player is Reinhart since I can't see Bennet falling to 3 anyway.

So is Monahan and Reinheart better than Nuge and Draisaitl? I don't think so.

Ideally Ekblad would be there, we take him, pay Stasny a whole lot of money, then trade Gagner for literally anything.

#13 Jackson
    April 22 2014, 06:05PM

John Tavares

#14 dougtheslug
    April 22 2014, 09:59PM

If Oilers tank next season and finish 30th, they have 1 chance in 4 of winning the Connor MacDavid sweepstakes.

Ask Buffalo how much they enjoyed this years draft lottery.

Another year of suckage to be able to say "Missed by that much", would be unendurable.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if KLowe and Co. have any better ideas.

#15 Shaun
    April 22 2014, 09:10PM

Draisaitl

#16 New Season New Hope
    April 22 2014, 05:54PM

I think everyone agrees we need a new second line center. For me, I want a guy who can win faceoffs, control the puck in the offensive zone, and can actually win puck battles against men. A lot of people really seem to want a guy who plays with a mean streak and figure Bennett is the guy. I think we already have a guy like that in Perron. We need some more diversity in our forwards and I think Draisatl brings that. He is bigger than any forward that we have, plays a puck posession game (something we don't have a lot of), and has similar numbers to the other top centers. To me, he plays a similar style of game to a bunch of other players in our division (Getzlaf, Perry, Marleau, Kopitar, and Thorton) and has similar size. As a second line center, if he comes even close to any of those guys, I am happy. The Oilers do not need another smaller center that can't win faceoffs against men. We can't send our third or fourth line center out every time we need to win a draw. There are very few smaller superstar centers in this league.

#17 Jackson
    April 22 2014, 05:59PM
    New Season New Hope wrote:

Crosby

#18 Jackson
    April 22 2014, 06:04PM

Claude Giroux

#19 Acumen
    April 22 2014, 04:44PM

I like him better than Draisaitl, just think he has every tool you ask for including the intelligence and maturity to put them all together. #4 on my list and right in line with Bennett.

I probably over value the guy, but I love the player type. Same reason I was gaga for Monahan all of last year.

If he says that he can and will play Center moving forward in the pre-draft interviews, and Reinhart's gone, I would be very very happy with the selection.

#20 Jackson
    April 22 2014, 06:02PM
    New Season New Hope wrote:

Datsyuk

#21 Gk1980
    April 22 2014, 07:40PM

@Quicksilver ballet

Short term pain long term gain!! That's hilarious! It's already been long term pain short term gain! I want to win NOW! Do whatever it takes. If we all knew a trade for hall would get us into the playoffs or make us a contender we would do it in a heart beat!

#22 Fish
    April 22 2014, 04:48PM

Tis a fine barn, but surely it's no BBQ pit - The Simpsons

Great sounding player, but he's not what we need. He's hardly bigger than Reinheart or RNH for that matter. Reluctant to use the term powerforward unless he really has some filling out to do with the frame to support it.

Bennett should be our target. Anyone who claims his size is an issue for him has not watched the Sharks in the post season. Torres and Brown are both 6' and under and no one would say that they are not big enough to physically impact a game. Height is nice, but it doesn't tell you a lick about how someone plays. I'll take a firery 6'0, over 6'2 and strong on the puck any day. Especially when he's a Center, who plays a 200ft game and is more talented.

Discussion over.

To bad the Oilers didn't have a Brown or a Torres type play for them... Face palm :(

#23 bwar
    April 22 2014, 06:44PM

Please stop with the Draisaitl talk. The pick will be either one of the two Sam's or Ekblad. Bennet is probably the best fit and if he is available at #3 I will be shocked if the Oilers pass him up.

#24 Oiler Al
    April 22 2014, 10:15PM
    Step Daddy J wrote:

Know something..... Is that you Kevin.

#25 Zarny
    April 23 2014, 09:47AM

Once again, regardless of who is available the Oilers should trade the pick. The notion that players are not available is simply false.

No one this year is projected to be a Crosby/Stamkos/Tavares/Hall/McKinnon or Doughty. There isn't even a consensus #1. You would think Oiler fans would have learned another 18 y/o is not the answer.

It's also false to assume Ekblad won't be available 3rd overall. Buf has zero depth at C beyond Hodgson who isn't a 1C. In Fla, Barkov had all of 24 pts as a rookie. Bjugstad was drafted the same year as Hall, didn't make the NHL until year 4 and still only put up 38 pts. That's less than half of Hall's production this year with more games played.

If the Oilers use the pick and Ekblad is not available they will take a C not Dal Colle. That's fairly obvious. However, it doesn't matter whether it's Reinhart, Bennett or Draisaitl...it will be a failure.

#26 #ThereGoesTheOilers
    April 22 2014, 05:11PM

I have yet to hear a reasonable argument as to why we should draft Draisaitl over Bennett and Reinhart other than that he's big.

Given how taken the Oilers organization is with him (albeit from second-hand comments), I find this concerning.

#27 Jackson
    April 22 2014, 06:17PM

@New Season New Hope

What was there weight when they entered the NHL?

#28 Joe
    April 22 2014, 06:39PM

If Draisaitl was 6 '4 I would say yes, even though his skating could be an issue. But at 6 '1 he will not dominate in the NHL if he is not aggressive.

For me Bennett or Ekblad.

#29 Jerod
    April 22 2014, 04:56PM

My guess of the Oilers list would be:

Ekblad

Bennett

Reinhart

Draisaitl

However I think the Oilers are trying to convince themselves that Draisaitl should be their pick. Since he is the biggest centre in the top 5. My guess from what i read in reality he should be a top 10 pick.

#30 Rama Lama
    April 22 2014, 06:49PM

Oh Boy,

I cant wait for Eakins to teach him how to be an NHL player..........Lowetide do you know if he has a taste for donuts??

Since donuts are banned, our players under Eakins and his "no donut rule", have regressed? It's time to bring donuts back!!!

Props if you want to see donuts back and Eakins banned.

#31 Quicksilver ballet
    April 22 2014, 09:29PM
    Gk1980 wrote:

Not sure where you've been. Last last 8 seasons have been a resounding success. Every imaginable dollar has been has been harvested by this team. Don't give me all this bleeding heart fan bullship.

The past is the past, and of no value anymore. Next season is the only concern now. Selling every seat and getting every advertising dollar ( a slam dunk I'm sure) available is far more important than what happens on the ice.

Ownership will worry about on ice success after they take a run at Connor McDavid next season, and that's only 14 months away. Nobody cares if you feel you're not getting your moneys worth. Someone else will gladly buy your tickets.

#32 OilClog
    April 22 2014, 10:24PM
    Step Daddy J wrote:

Brilliance!

King of the Urinal pads!

Fumes are enticing someone's brains

#33 Spydyr
    April 23 2014, 01:38AM
    A-Mc wrote:

Gagner (RW), Draisaitl (C), Perron (LW)

So Snowpants will bounce back huh.

Bounce back to seven years of soft play, weak defensively, weak on the puck, cannot win a one on one battle.

He tried to hit two guys the last game he played bounced off both like a bug off a windshield.First one he slid into the net knocking it off,Second one he hurt himself.

You are watching the playoffs right? Time for Sam to move along.

#34 Fish
    April 22 2014, 05:26PM

@They're $hittie

Dammit. You're right. I was stuck in traffic and quickly did it off the top of my head. I can see it all now. Broken leg for Bart. Telescope. Ma Flanders Murdered? And the purple drapes. All his life he wanted purple drapes. Swing and a ground ball :(

#35 Jerod
    April 22 2014, 06:30PM
    Joy S. Lee wrote:

By the way, I somewhat agree with faithfully embarrassed, and would probably be ok with Drasaitl based on what I've heard. I saw him play about 5 minutes this year, and he made one drive to the front of the net that really impressed me. Other than that, I wouldn't know, but that play alone showed me that he may be what we need, too.

The guy I don't really want out of the top 5 group is probably Reinhart, believe it or not. He is a superb prospect, but I just don't see him being the right fit for the Oilers.

Ekblad would be great. Bennett or Draisaitl would fit the bill. If Bennett truly is a Doug Gilmour clone, I'd love that. Draisaitl brings the size down the middle. If it came to Reinhart, I'd make a deal, because you know somebody REALLY wants him, the question is, who, and for what?

From what I read there is a somewhat large separation after the top 3. I don't want the Oilers to pick Draisaitl because he 1inch taller than the other centres. If Oilers think he is BPA then take him., but don't force it.

#36 Reg Dunlop
    April 22 2014, 09:45PM

#37 Quicksilver ballet
    April 22 2014, 09:50PM

@Reg Dunlop

Do you think Dustin Brown could be had after a difficult year in LA?

#38 HardBoiledOil
    April 22 2014, 09:55PM
    hankthetank wrote:

Hey we signed Simpson.

and a lot of fans said we didn't have room for Simpson here.

#39 Sizzay
    April 23 2014, 06:37AM
    Walter Sobchak wrote:

Well, I have to agree with Quicksilver on trying to secure the NYI pick.

The Oilers are much the same across the board in the top six, a lot of skill but no jam.

I hope the Oilers don’t over think this draft, if the Oilers don’t draft Bennett then I’m convinced they have zero idea how to build a team.

Bennett adds a desperate dimension the Oilers need, however, if the Oilers could secure another pick to choose one of Dal Colle , Virtanen or Ritchie wouldn’t that be heaven.

How would the oilers get that other pick? Likely by trading a roster player which would make us worse again. Terrible ideA. If you want to use the 2015 1st to somehow get another 2014 1st (which it won't) that's also a bad idea since that's a good trade chip for Another nhl player. More prospects won't help.

Draisaitl adds a different dimension too. Watch him play. I'm ok with drafting bennet as well but lean to draisatl.

#40 YFC Prez
    April 22 2014, 04:32PM

NOT ONE DAMN CHANCE. Yup. That'll do.

#41 TonyT
    April 22 2014, 04:47PM

I think the top 3 is clearly set among scouts (Reinhart, Eckblad, Bennett), are Draisatl and Dal Colle equals or is one head and shoulder above the other? It seems to me that the only people pumping Draisatl's tires (to borrow an expression) are Oiler people...

#42 Rcky
    April 22 2014, 04:50PM
    Acumen wrote:

I agree, tough to make it as a centre in the NHL being a average skater(Draisaitl ). Game is getting quicker not slower. I know there are some excellent centres in the league that are average skaters but they had time to learn their trade.

#43 ThatButthurtOilersFan
    April 22 2014, 05:34PM
    Step Daddy J wrote:

#44 blainer
    April 22 2014, 06:13PM

Crosby, Tavares, datsyuk, Giroux....All play in the east..

#45 New Season New Hope
    April 22 2014, 06:13PM

@Jackson

Tavares is 205, Datzyuk is 198

Mackinnon, Giroux, and Krejci are the only good to great centers in the playoffs under 190

Two of those three have big wingers beside them.

#46 Sorensenator
    April 22 2014, 07:04PM
    Rama Lama wrote:

Oh Boy,

Props if you want to see donuts back and Eakins banned.

But Tim Horton's is awesome!

#47 Hair bag
    April 22 2014, 10:25PM
    backup bob wrote:

Has anyone heard about the Great One taking the GM position with the Rangers?

Apparently Sather will announce his retirement after the playoffs, due to health issues. The Gretzky home in California is for sale.

Gretzky turned down the GM job for the Leafs.

That would have to piss the moose off if it's true! No matter how good of friends him and Wayne are.....

#48 Al Low
    April 22 2014, 11:26PM

Seems pretty simple to me. Top 3 pick and Ekblad, Reinhart and Bennett are the projected top 3 picks. Whoever's left at the 3 spot is the guy the Oilers should pick. I'm not sure why everybody's so apprehensive about Reinhart. This guy potentially would take over 1st line duties from RNH eventually and he's probably the most NHL ready of all of the forwards. I think Draisaitl would be a very risky pick and if they're going about it just to add size, that's stupid, which makes it likely these idiots go for him.

#49 K_Mart
    April 23 2014, 07:20AM

In typical Oilers fashion, the year the draft is the strongest(2015), we will finish 9th in the west. #herecometheoilers

#50 j
    April 23 2014, 08:19AM

I hope the Lightening series will put an end to the 'trade skill for grit' dialogue. The team replaced a high end play-maker (St Louis) with a heart and soul worker (Callahan) and the results were terrible. Granted, it didn't help that Bishop was out but the team couldn't generate any sustained buzz. We have skaters (Hall, Yak), scorers (Ebs, Yak, Perron), and playmakers (Nuge,Gags). I'd replace Gags with someone a bit better on the other side of the puck but to completely downgrade would be a mistake.