HEAVY FUEL

Lowetide
April 25 2014 09:22PM

nuge yellow ferguson

The Edmonton Oilers are two months from the draft and have miles and miles of challenges. The goals this summer? Almost endless.

SOLUTIONS....

There are a lot of problems with this roster. Before we start looking at solutions, let's make a list of real and present dangers.

  1. Nail Yakupov is one year away from the end of his entry level deal, and a few months removed from a very public display of frustration.
  2. Justin Schultz is over 120 games into his NHL career, and may not be a big league calibre defenseman.
  3. The Oilers remain one of the truly horrible possession teams in captivity.

Let's start with that, or I'm going to change the title of this segment to "drink"!

Now, let's talk about what the Oilers have in terms of positives:

  1. Taylor Hall.
  2. The Nuge should be healthy next season, and a year older.
  3. The skill wings (Hall, Perron, Eberle, Yakupov) are very talented, if somewhat (as a group) one dimensional.
  4. On defense, the cavalry—while young—is starting to arrive. Marincin and Klefbom are here, or close, and Darnell Nurse's Army is on the way.
  5. The club has some actual assets—#3 overall, a plethora of young blue, others—that can be used to acquire immediate help.
  6. There's two-thirds of a shutdown, severe zone-start line in Gordon and Hendricks. 
  7. The goaltending looks stronger than a year ago.


SHOPPING LIST

idiot 2


  1. A two-way center who can be the defensive conscience on the Perron-Yakupov line and support the two wingers offensively.
  2. A veteran two-way defenseman who can cover for Schultz while he wheels and when he misses assignments.
  3. A two-way winger who can be that third man on the tough minutes line and slide up to the third line and offer support for what is (likely to be) a younger trio.

UP NEXT

Next time, we'll look at options for the three majors areas of need, and discuss assets that may be available to send away (including players, picks and free agent dollars).

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

Scarlett-Johansson-Don-Jon

The Oilers season ended April 12th, the Blues season may end Sunday, just two weeks later. It's a tough damn league, and Craig MacTavish has a lot of work to do before September. 

This Oiler team needs to improve up the middle, at center and on defense. Before September. Bold? I don't see any other way.

(Nuge photo by Rob Ferguson. All rights reserved)

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
Lowetide has been one of the Oilogosphere's shining lights for over a century. You can check him out here at OilersNation and at lowetide.ca. He is also the host of Lowdown with Lowetide weekday mornings 10-noon on Team 1260.
Avatar
#51 Citizen David
April 26 2014, 11:30AM
Trash it!
17
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers

Worrying over Justin Schultz is just silly. He'll be just fine.

Avatar
#52 The Soup Fascist
April 26 2014, 11:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

Couple of players that interest me as buy lows candidates.

Evander Kane. He's not on the list of needs, but Perron at a high point might buy him while he's at a low. If this was possible it would represent a real chance to add the grrrr everyone wants and raise total asset value on this team for a change.

Adam Larsson. He needs a change of scenery and could still turn into that #1. Grab him before he does. Myers or Bogosian could be in the same boat with a lesser ceiling.

I think the idea of getting a number one before he becomes a number one is very sound. However, Leapin' Lou is not known for making too many panic moves (Kovalchuk notwithstanding).

What do you think it would take to get Larsson? Obviously the Devils need offence but not sure who the Oilers have that NJ would want that the Oilers are willing to give up. Gagner and a D prospect does not get it done IMO. That overvalue contract of Gagner is a boat anchor. If he was a cap hit of under $3.5 he is a much easier player to move.

Avatar
#53 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
April 26 2014, 12:07PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
littleconer wrote:

Any one of the Eberle, Nuge and Hall triumvirate cannot and will not be traded. They are like Precogs - if you remove one, the other two become useless.

Littleconer wins the internet today!!! Precogs...outstanding!

Avatar
#54 TonyT
April 26 2014, 12:16PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
Towersofdub wrote:

That certainly sounds like a realistic trade! Clearly you're someone who is well connected in hockey circles, who knows what's going on around the league. You know that Toronto is going to embarrass themselves by unloaded clarkson after one year, eat some of his salary and actually want Sam Gagner in return! That's a brilliant idea. I can't imagine why the deal hasn't been made already. the Staal deal...yeah..makes a lot of sense for edmonton. trade away a player entering his prime, for one that is likely leaving his. More genius. Surely, you must be a 12 year old to think either of these trades would ever happen.

Why are you yelling at me? Re-read the intro then take a step back, (losing) Oiler hockey has made you into a real a-hole...

Avatar
#55 Oiler Al
April 26 2014, 12:35PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

For what its worth, one can only muse over it today, but when Oilers drafted Gagner in 2007 @ No.6, still on the table in that first round were: Voracek, Couture, McDonagh, and Shattenkirk.

Then they went all out and crabbed Plante @15 and Nash @ 21 still in the first round. On table at this point were: Pacioretty, Backlund, Perron, Suban, and Simonds.

One better than all, Oilers pick Kytner @127 5th round and Jamie Benn @129 to Dallas.

There were hundreds that missed, I pointed out the obvious success stories and its all easy in hindsight. But, cant the Oilers luck out just once.

Avatar
#56 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
April 26 2014, 12:36PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
The Soup Fascist wrote:

I think the idea of getting a number one before he becomes a number one is very sound. However, Leapin' Lou is not known for making too many panic moves (Kovalchuk notwithstanding).

What do you think it would take to get Larsson? Obviously the Devils need offence but not sure who the Oilers have that NJ would want that the Oilers are willing to give up. Gagner and a D prospect does not get it done IMO. That overvalue contract of Gagner is a boat anchor. If he was a cap hit of under $3.5 he is a much easier player to move.

Are overvalued contracts really boat anchors if the team trading the contract can retain salary?

I think the question we should be asking is what can we get for Gagner if we eat 1.5 million of his contract for two years?

I think he will be very attractive to at least a few teams at $3.3 million per year for two years.

Avatar
#57 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
April 26 2014, 12:40PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Oiler Al wrote:

For what its worth, one can only muse over it today, but when Oilers drafted Gagner in 2007 @ No.6, still on the table in that first round were: Voracek, Couture, McDonagh, and Shattenkirk.

Then they went all out and crabbed Plante @15 and Nash @ 21 still in the first round. On table at this point were: Pacioretty, Backlund, Perron, Suban, and Simonds.

One better than all, Oilers pick Kytner @127 5th round and Jamie Benn @129 to Dallas.

There were hundreds that missed, I pointed out the obvious success stories and its all easy in hindsight. But, cant the Oilers luck out just once.

Yup! And we picked the high scoring smurf who was on a line with Patrick Kane.

But hey...he was truculent and played big "for a guy his size".

Avatar
#58 TonyT
April 26 2014, 12:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Towersofdub wrote:

That certainly sounds like a realistic trade! Clearly you're someone who is well connected in hockey circles, who knows what's going on around the league. You know that Toronto is going to embarrass themselves by unloaded clarkson after one year, eat some of his salary and actually want Sam Gagner in return! That's a brilliant idea. I can't imagine why the deal hasn't been made already. the Staal deal...yeah..makes a lot of sense for edmonton. trade away a player entering his prime, for one that is likely leaving his. More genius. Surely, you must be a 12 year old to think either of these trades would ever happen.

"That certainly sounds like a realistic trade! Clearly you're someone who is well connected in hockey circles, who knows what's going on around the league."

- read my post again, I stated they were video games trades that I believed based on speculation seems feasible.

"You know that Toronto is going to embarrass themselves by unloaded clarkson after one year, eat some of his salary and actually want Sam Gagner in return! That's a brilliant idea. I can't imagine why the deal hasn't been made already."

- I'm hardly the first person to float this idea, but try coming up with a trade that doesn't overvalue Gagner. Or should I have suggested Gagner, 3rd overall, and Marincin for Crosby? Other people who have suggested that Clarkson will be offloaded: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/leafs-beat/mirtle-david-clarkson-and-his-buyout-proof-contract/article17783243/#dashboard/follows/

"the Staal deal...yeah..makes a lot of sense for edmonton. trade away a player entering his prime, for one that is likely leaving his."

- Oilers need a big two-way centre for top 6. Sure the Staals aren't ideal but they are apparently available (at least according to Darren Dreger, if you can believe his connections*). Jordan Staal is 25, a four time 20 goal scorer and a Stanley cup champion on a rebuild. Apparently he's on the downside*.

*denotes sarcasm

Avatar
#59 The Soup Fascist
April 26 2014, 01:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Yup! And we picked the high scoring smurf who was on a line with Patrick Kane.

But hey...he was truculent and played big "for a guy his size".

Valid point. But will the $ retained hurt the Oilers over that period ? They are going to overpay to get some much needed help if they go the FA route or trade for a bad value contract.

Either way it is a cross to bear.

Avatar
#60 Rama Lama
April 26 2014, 01:10PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

There are very few trades that will see Sam Gagner leave the Oilers. Reading eveything that has been written and posted about trades and potential trades makes me wonder.........exactly which team wants a small slow center?

I like Gagner as he has shown some jam but his skill set is not going to fetch us another first round draft choice. In my opinion you cannot trade your way to success anymore in the NHL.

Drafting the types of forwards we so desperately covet come by smart drafting and development. We all need to relax and do the right thing.........no quick fixes here.

Avatar
#61 Oiler Al
April 26 2014, 01:19PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Yup! And we picked the high scoring smurf who was on a line with Patrick Kane.

But hey...he was truculent and played big "for a guy his size".

Could be wrong, but it seems to me Pouliott was on a line with Crosby when Oilers made that big snag. That would have been under Pendergast watch.

Avatar
#62 misfit
April 26 2014, 01:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Oiler Al wrote:

Could be wrong, but it seems to me Pouliott was on a line with Crosby when Oilers made that big snag. That would have been under Pendergast watch.

That IS wrong. Crosby wasn't in the CHL when Pouliot was drafted.

Avatar
#63 Sizzay
April 26 2014, 02:16PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

~MacTavish should go hard after Clarkson, he could be had after the year he had. Perhaps Gagner and a 4th rounder would do it,~

Makes sense since both teams are likely wanting to rid themselves of the Player/contract.

You're usually a terrible poster, this is also bad. The trade would work for 2 years and be brutal for a century after.

Avatar
#64 backup bob
April 26 2014, 02:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

Keep losing. Keep drafting high. Hope.

Avatar
#65 DrDave
April 26 2014, 03:29PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

Anyone wonder when you see ex-Oilers excelling on other teams that it's not always just the player's fault....

Avatar
#66 Oilers Coffey
April 26 2014, 05:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

@Oiler Al

Good Oilers drafting under big Six Rings watch! Oh he knows a thing about winning.

Avatar
#67 Quicksilver ballet
April 26 2014, 05:43PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

@Sizzay

It was sarcasm. Notice the little ~~~~ thingys, kid?

Towersofdub mentioned he'd go all WCB on Oilersnation if he seen one more post on this topic.

Try reading a few posts before you decide to pick on someone, that mud pit is all yours. Try getting up to speed before opening your mouth again.

Avatar
#68 Dave#
April 26 2014, 06:34PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
mesa wrote:

funny oilers fans accusing MAC T for over valuing sam Gagner and in the same time they want the world for him.

No not me. I would buy him out or ship him to OKC if they can not trade him.

Avatar
#69 kale
April 26 2014, 10:15PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Dave# wrote:

No not me. I would buy him out or ship him to OKC if they can not trade him.

I may be wrong but i dont think they can buy him out as his contract was signed after the new CBA, also I think if he was shipped to OKC he would have to go through wavers and we would be stuck with half his salary as I assume somone would pick him up for 2.4 mill

Comments are closed for this article.