GDB 78.0: LAST ROAD SHOW

Jason Gregor
April 04 2014 01:25PM

RoadShow-Dozer

The Oilers wrap up their road schedule tonight in Phoenix. Only Buffalo has won fewer road games, 8, than the Oilers' 12. Florida's final five games are all at home, and if the Oilers do win tonight they will tie the Panthers with 13 road wins.

Regardless of what happens tonight, this won't be the worst road season in Edmonton history. In 1993/1994 the Oilers won a measly 8 of their 42 road games and in 2009/2010 they won 9, while in 1992/1993 they won 10. Hopefully one day in the next five years we are talking about competing for most wins, not fewest

The Coyotes have won all four meetings so far this season, including 5-4 and 4-3 OT wins at home. Prior to this season the Oilers were 7-6-2 in their last 15 visits to Phoenix, but this year they've been dominated by their Pacific division foes to the tune of 5-16-4.

The top line and/or Ben Scrivens will most likely have to carry the team on their back if they hope to pick up their 13th road win.

LINEUP

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Lander-Gagner-Perron
Smyth-Gordon-Hendricks
Pinizzotto-Acton-Larsen

Marincin-Petry
Klefbom-Schultz
Fraser-Belov

Scrivens

On Wednesday in Anaheim, RNH's line combined for 19 shots. Sam Gagner was the only other regular forward to register a shot, he had five. Larsen had three, Belov had two while Marincin and Klefbom each had one.

The other lines barely registered any sort of offensive pulse. I understand the team is banged up and it is late in the year, but Lander was the only remaining forward to even throw a puck on net, and his shot was blocked. They need a better offensive effort from the rest of the team tonight.

QUICK HITS...

• Hall needs 7 points in the final 5 games to reach 80. The way the top line is playing I think that is very realistic.

• Hall, Eberle and Perron are tied for the team lead in goals with 26. I'll pick Eberle to finish in the lead by one over Hall.

• Keith Yandle is one of three D-men to lead their team in scoring. Erik Karlsson leads Ottawa with 70 points, Yandle has 51 for the Coyotes and Shea Weber has 50 in Nashville.

• Nashville and Phoenix are two of the seven teams who don't have a forward with at least 50 points. Detroit (injuries and Nyquist late call up are main reason), Buffalo, Florida, Calgary and Vancouver are the others. The Flames (Hudler 49), Coyotes (Vrbata 49) and Red Wings (Nyqvist 46 in 51 games) will likely get there, but it shows how far the Canucks have fallen offensively.

• The Oilers have officially secured a 14.2% to win the draft lottery. The best they can finish is 28th. They are one point back of Florida, and if they pass they will go into the April 15th lottery with the 3rd highest chance to win. If they stay in 29th, they will have a 18.8% chance of winning. Holy *&#% it will be nice when I don't have to write about the lottery odds between January to April.

• The Oil Kings spanked the Wheat Kings 5-0 last night and they play game two Saturday at noon at Rexall Place. The 13-0 Edmonton Rush can secure first overall in the entire league at 8 p.m. on Saturday when they face Colorado. If you're tired of leaving Rexall in a bad mood, I suggest you attend one, or both, this weekend. Those teams are great and to paraphrase Jay Brown, "They actually deserve good fans."

TONIGHT...

a-adriana-lima-victorias-secret-fantasy-bra

GAME DAY PREDICTION: It is positive Friday, and since I don't see the Oilers winning, 4-3 loss, at least Adrianna Lima will brighten up your day.

OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: The first line scores two goals. Eberle and Hall.

NOT-SO-OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: The losing finally catches up to Wanye Gretz. He elects to update his Tinder profile, instead of watching the game, with a new picture and the hopes he'll have better luck. In his old picture he had pieces of Eberle's hair in his hand, but that was too creepy, so he elects to just hold his Eberle doll in his updated photo. Good luck Wanye, good luck.

RECENTLY BY JASON GREGOR:

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#51 ONTARIO OILERS FAN
April 04 2014, 08:50PM
RexHolez wrote:

Just be grateful that you'll save 2.5 hours from bring wasted.

#52 Tuningout
April 04 2014, 09:27PM

I don't watch many games. I've watched the second period of this game. To those saying Marincin may need to be the final trade piece to get a 1D (Lowetide for one). Do NOT trade this guy !! In the small sample size I have seen today he has been the most notably good defenseman on either team. More experience, confidence, and weight. And it's scary to think how good this guy can be.

#53 God
April 04 2014, 09:41PM

Wow. Sam Gagner just keeps getting worse.

#54 Bucknuck
April 04 2014, 09:43PM

@Tuningout

I read your handle as "Tugnutt" and felt a smile grow on my face. I always cheered for him. I still am not sure why. Perhaps it was that i always pictured him in a Nordiques Jersey and they were always the underdogs.

#55 kale
April 04 2014, 09:52PM
God wrote:

Wow. Sam Gagner just keeps getting worse.

Can't you do something about that God?

#56 Tuningout
April 04 2014, 09:53PM

@bucknuck

Ha ! I take some heat for having the name "Tuningout" and watching any hockey at all. But tugnutt would be a first. I don't remember much of him I was an early teen when he was in his prime if my adolescent girl chasing memory serves me correctly.

#57 Rod from Viking
April 04 2014, 09:58PM
God wrote:

Wow. Sam Gagner just keeps getting worse.

Why don't you change your posting name? Just reverse the letters.

#58 Tuningout
April 04 2014, 10:04PM
Rod from Viking wrote:

Why don't you change your posting name? Just reverse the letters.

Now now. Be nice to Kevin Lowe (aka God)

#59 Rod from Viking
April 04 2014, 10:23PM
Tuningout wrote:

Now now. Be nice to Kevin Lowe (aka God)

I am quite sure there are Christian people on this site that don't appreciate someone using that name, I don't and if it is going to be allowed I am off this site.

#60 Mo Playoffs Mo Problems
April 04 2014, 10:36PM

Attaboy Gags. Inflate that trade value!

#61 Tuningout
April 04 2014, 10:36PM
Rod from Viking wrote:

I'm Christian. Both my kids are in a Christian school. If something as small as this leads you to drop Oilersnation I don't know how you function in society today. I would have to cancel both my TV and internet to avoid anything even remotely offensive.

#62 Zarny
April 04 2014, 10:46PM
Rod from Viking wrote:

When did Christians get a monopoly on using the word God? They aren't even the first monotheists.

#63 BURROWSHASCRABS
April 04 2014, 10:50PM
Tuningout wrote:

Christians such ass!!!

#64 God
April 04 2014, 10:55PM
kale wrote:

Can't you do something about that God?

I just did, happy?

Sam Gagner, winner.

#65 The Soup Fascist
April 04 2014, 10:56PM
BURROWSHASCRABS wrote:

Christians such ass!!!

But we DO have spell check.

#66 kale
April 04 2014, 10:56PM
Zarny wrote:

exactly

#67 God
April 04 2014, 10:56PM
Rod from Viking wrote:

I'm not Christian. I didn't realize they had a monopoly on the word. Silly me. I should've already known that. :)

On a lighter note. How about that Gagner. At least he's money in the shootout!

#68 dougtheslug
April 04 2014, 10:57PM

Without question, Sam Gagner ranks among the top 2 Oilers to ever wear the number 89

#69 kale
April 04 2014, 11:02PM
God wrote:

I just did, happy?

Sam Gagner, winner.

Well I would have preferred not to wait until game 78 for it to happen

#70 hagargt
April 04 2014, 11:08PM

Apparently Sam spends all of his time practicing shoot outs!! Insane crazy cool goal from the waste of space!

#71 God
April 04 2014, 11:12PM

It is just me or was anyone else totally wanting Hendricks to score the winner in the SO?

#72 Tuningout
April 04 2014, 11:13PM

That shoot out goal alone is worth a first round pick for Mr Gagner

So 1st and a 3rd now ? Please !