GDB Wrap Up: Oilers @ Coyotes

baggedmilk
April 04 2014 11:29PM

shootout

The Oilers won but this makes some people angry. It's a very confusing time. Final Score: 3-2 Oilers.

Nothing is more exciting than an Oilers road game, against the Coyotes, to cap off another meaningless season! If trap hockey and lottery jockeying isn't enough to get you excited then I don't know what is. Maybe you're just boring. MAYBE you just don't know how to have fun. Seriously though, watching the Coyotes makes me wish for Sex and the City reruns. In the last 10 trips to Phoenix the Oilers were 2-6-2. Take that history!

One thing that has been encouraging lately is the effort despite having nothing to play for. Obviously, having the Hall-Nuge-Eberle line carry the load offensively helps but it doesn't look like guys are quitting out there and it's nice to see. But turnovers, man... I'd be willing to bet old man Wanye's money that the Oilers pass the puck to the other team as often as they do to their own. Regardless, the mighty Oil managed to win this one in the shootout and jump all the way up to 28th place. It's a bad day for draft whiners.

Wrap time...

The Bright Side

• Ben Scrivens we speak your name!
  • Gagner channelled his 2007 shootout prowess
  • Last road game of the season means this soul crushing season is almost over
  • Yakupov was not the problem

The Face Palmers

• Steve Kelly was invisible during this game
  • ME for not knowing Matt Hendricks is some kind of shootout wizard. From now on, socializing during a CBC After Hours segment will be punishable by decapitation
  • Beating Phoenix helps the Canucks' playoff hopes
  • Winning is bad, losing is also bad

Best of the Tweets

Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 8.07.10 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 8.23.17 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 11.20.54 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 9.19.12 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 9.40.49 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 9.45.33 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 11.17.26 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 11.23.44 PM

94ea28cbbd0f9fe4153692bb3e38b40c
Twitter tyrant for @OilersNation - Resident Jackass - Poor vessel for carrying milk. Follow me on twitter (@jsbmbaggedmilk) - Instagram (@himynameisbaggedmilk) or email me at baggedmilk@oilersnation.com.
#1 CMG30
April 04 2014, 11:59PM

I think the Oilers must be the most unique team in all of professional sports. They have somehow TRAINED their fans to cheer AGAINST them!

#2 hallsyoilerforever5
April 04 2014, 11:34PM

What a filthy shootout goal by Gagner. Real beauty.

#3 RexHolez
April 05 2014, 12:24AM

Any chance every gm in the league watched gagner's shootout and only the shootout??

#4 CMG30
April 04 2014, 11:55PM

Just win. We're not picking first, Buffalo sewed that up a while ago and the absolute lowest we can pick is 4th. No matter what, we get a piece we need.

#5 Leon Draisaitl
April 04 2014, 11:34PM

And the Oilers management thought they would be drafting Aaron!

#6 RexHolez
April 05 2014, 12:14AM

Sweet baby Jesus! Some of these guys are actuall NHL players.,,. Atleast for 3 games in a row when it doesn't matter at the end of another failed season

#7 #ThereGoesTheOilers
April 05 2014, 12:03AM

Can't say we're really helping anyone out tonight.

10 goals for Sam, 10 goals for Henrik Sedin.

We have plenty to be cheerful about!

#8 dangilitis
April 04 2014, 11:46PM

Canucks chances of making playoffs, after tonight: 0.04%. Oilers beating Phoenix in shootout helped them such that the chance had increased by 0.03%.

Seriously, Canucks are irrelevant.

Death to trap teams in bad markets. I have no sympathy for Phoenix (whose playoff odds only dropped from 30-25% tonight, by the way).

#9 Canned Pop
April 05 2014, 12:14AM

Shane Doan really grinds my gears.

#10 Goon80
April 05 2014, 12:15AM

I'm tired of hearing fans whine about how winning games is negatively affecting the chances to draft Ekblad.

Look at what tanking has done to this team, even with 3 1st overalls things have not improved and FAs don't want to sign with the oilers because of the loser reputation. Plus I'm sure the young guys are getting fed up with this losing.

I'm happy with how they have competed these past few games against some of the top end teams. If it drops us out of the Ekblad sweepstakes I'm all for it.

#11 admiralmark
April 05 2014, 01:02AM

So how many ways can sam Gagner hurt the Oilers this season? First spends the entire season looking like the worst 2nd line Center in the entire league. Giving up the puck in the defensive zone, not covering his man, losing face-offs, missing wide open nets. And now when winning the game means slide down a draft position he becomes a hero. Next he'll be injured last game of the season making him untraceable. I can see it now.

#12 D
April 05 2014, 01:12AM
Canned Pop wrote:

Shane Doan really grinds my gears.

Me too.

I always wonder how the history of this team might have changed if we had both Smyth and Doan anchoring the LW/RW for two decades.

But hey, the smartest men in the room (TM - Edmonton Oilers) knew more than us knuckle draggers sitting in the stands at Northlands in 1995.

#13 dougtheslug
April 05 2014, 12:29AM
Goon80 wrote:

"Winning now can't help but improve team morale and start change the loser perception/culture associated with the Oilers."

You do mean, "winning every fourth games (in OT, recently), and winning exactly zero of their last 8 in regulation", don't you?

Just wanted to inject a tone of sobriety into this carnival of joyous victory.

#14 kale
April 04 2014, 11:51PM
dangilitis wrote:

Seriously, Canucks are irrelevant.

At least some fan bases have hope, we lost all ours in October

#15 Bucknuck
April 05 2014, 01:22PM

Since I have a vry hard time choosing amongst Ekblad, Draisaitl, Bennett and Reinhart, I really don't care if they pick first or fourth.

I just want them to win. Go Oil.

#17 Soccer Steve
April 05 2014, 01:00PM

via Terry Jones' twitter:

"Theory. Sam Gagner scores 2-2 goal and shootout winner. Costs Ekblad in draft. Oilers take centre Draisaitl instead. Costs Gagner spot."

Gagner just Gagner'd himself.

#18 kale
April 05 2014, 12:03AM
dangilitis wrote:

That wasn't the point, buddy. It was that deliberately losing a game to Phoenix had literally no bearing on the Canucks' playoff chances. Thanks for coming out.

It was its own point, I did not disagree with you

#19 719
April 05 2014, 12:39AM

Oilers got a chance at 28th overall! That would be our highest finish in a full season, since the 2008-2009 season. Draft lottery be darned, it is all about progress. Here come the Oilers!

#20 Jacques Strap
April 05 2014, 07:00AM

Finishing the season on a 5 game winning streak sounds much better to me than finishing with a 4% higher chance to get #1. Florida is probably going to lose out the string anyhow. I hope they beat the Leafs, but I'm not betting on it. They seem to have taken tanking to their hearts.

I say the Oil should play as hard as they can for the last 4 games, then go hit the buffet and work out all summer.

#21 Quicksilver ballet
April 05 2014, 09:34AM

Oh well. As long as we lose 3 of the next 4 we should still be okay. Kinda like to see the Oil beat the Canucks the last game, along with MacIntyre taking a 10 gamer on Kassian.

Hold that thought, to heck with that, I want to see Steve take a ten gamer along with a regulation loss, for insurance purposes. Damn Gagner.

#22 Spydyr
April 05 2014, 08:34AM

@D

I was so pissed that day,still am.Steve f-ing Kelly???

That was one of the first sightings of the smartest people in the room.

#23 Crispy
April 05 2014, 01:51AM
Goon80 wrote:

This sucks, why did the oilers have to win? This negatively effects our chance of drafting Eckblad!

Let's do what we do best and go on a losing streak!

#24 DonDon
April 05 2014, 12:25AM

I guess I'm a draft whiner. In the four remaining games the Oil will be battling the Panthers for the 29th place and at worse the fourth selection in the 2014 NHL entry draft. Really exciting! Eight consecutive seasons out of the playoffs. Again, exciting!

And for next season, probably the same old unless we witness major changes in the senior management of this dysfunctional hockey operation.

Can hardly wait for the SCP and real hockey. Can hardly wait for summer.

#25 hemi
April 05 2014, 06:30AM

It's a win. That is all.

#26 dangilitis
April 04 2014, 11:53PM
kale wrote:

At least some fan bases have hope, we lost all ours in October

#27 R U Kidding Me!
April 05 2014, 12:45AM

After watching the overtime it makes me wonder if it wouldn't be better hockey having the whole game 4 on 4?

#28 MMAX
April 05 2014, 07:57AM

Yeah, yeah they won...great news. What I really want to know is what the hell happened to Gene Principe's hair???

#29 Spydyr
April 05 2014, 08:33AM

Gagner's legacy may very will be the team missing out on Ekblad,fitting.

#30 Bringbackslats
April 05 2014, 08:38AM
MMAX wrote:

Really reminds me of Micheal Jackson's. It's like he dunks his head in a barrel of olive oil before going on camera. He was at his best again last night. The only thing worse than our play is sportsnet's D Grade broadcasting. What a high school production.

#31 Spydyr
April 05 2014, 10:49AM
Gk1980 wrote:

Gagne, what does this guy do? He just chips the puck around the boards, only decent at shootouts. He never carries the puck in dangerous areas and never hits. The guy is NOT a hockey player.

I don't like that Gagner guy much either.

Almost like they were the same player.

#32 D
April 05 2014, 09:55AM
Spydyr wrote:

I was so pissed that day,still am.Steve f-ing Kelly???

That was one of the first sightings of the smartest people in the room.

I would prop this comment ten times if possible.

#33 Gk1980
April 05 2014, 10:41AM

#35 Arius Mumin
April 05 2014, 10:49AM
RexHolez wrote:

They would have seen, that: Gagner is a good hockey player-when he is the only player on the ice.

#36 Gk1980
April 05 2014, 10:38AM

Even if they won 20 straight towards the end it won't matte for next year. I don't buy the whole momentum thing. More koolaid. What would it take to get hanzel or Yandel or ekman Larson, those guys are just awesome!

#37 Wax Man Riley
April 05 2014, 01:06PM
RexHolez wrote:

Maybe.....

But there are no shootouts in the playoffs soooo....

#38 BGESS
April 05 2014, 09:49PM

PLEASE ENOUGH..ENOUGH..AND AGAIN, ENOUGH WITH EKBLAD ALREADY. NOW THE IDIOT FANS ARE BLAMING GAGNER OF LOSING THE EKBLAD SWEEPSTAKES BY SCORING A GREAT SHOOTOUT GOAL TO WIN IT FOR THE OILERS...ENOUGH

#39 bazmagoo
April 05 2014, 05:27PM

Whoever they get with the pick he will be a stud. Personally I hope it's the #4 pick and we get Draisaitl.