EAKINS

Lowetide
April 06 2014 07:19AM

eakins common33

After a long, disastrous season it's understandable to feel a need to lash out and point fingers. The problem? There are always some fingers pointing back at you.

In his famous Sunday article Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun tells us the prevailing wisdom in regard to Eakins future.

  • Garrioch: The belief is the Oilers will stick with coach Dallas Eakins as he heads into the second year of his contract despite a disastrous rookie season.

I believe it's the right call. Why? First, Craig MacTavish hired Eakins to bring a culture change to the organization, and it appears (from what we know) this was a turbulent year for all concerned. I have no doubt learning occurred for both players and coach (witness Hall's improvement in shot differential of late, likely a result of relaxing the 'shoot and chase' approach to offense) during this year. Next season should be stronger because of the foundation built in 2013-14.

There has to be structure, and Eakins has struggled at times to institute the plan. That's on him, but there's also a lot of truth in the idea that you can't win the race with a plough horse. Edmonton's defense isn't good enough to turn north and I don't think Scotty Bowman could get this defensive group into the playoffs.

Progress was made, and the blueline seems to be coming into view.

Garrioch article is here, he also mentions Messier as a future coaching option. 


ASSISTANTS

huddy

Lots of chatter about improving the staff by hiring and firing assistants. I don't know much about that area of the game, but do know that the defense hummed when Charlie Huddy was an assistant coach here. If he comes available, I'd like to see him back in our town.


C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
Lowetide has been one of the Oilogosphere's shining lights for over a century. You can check him out here at OilersNation and at lowetide.ca. He is also the host of Lowdown with Lowetide weekday mornings 10-noon on TSN 1260.
Avatar
#1 Retsinnab5
April 06 2014, 07:45AM
Trash it!
21
trashes
Cheers
102
cheers

My concern is that if the Oilers keep Eakins he's going to ruin Yakupov's career.

Avatar
#2 Derian Hatcher
April 06 2014, 08:10AM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
81
cheers

The following questions may be of the simplistic variety, yet I believe they are valid. I wonder how Oiler management would answer these in a truthful fashion, not their usual "patient and process" spin:

1) How did Colorado improve so much this season under Patrick Roy? 2) Paul Maurice seems to have a positive impact on the Jets - I believe Maurice was available last spring when Eakins was hired. 3) How does Bob Harlley get his players to work hard and compete game after game? 4) In reality, how much sense does is make the keep a coach whose team has not improved in any area of the game for the sake of continuity? 5) Is the Oiler team, as a whole, buying in and playing hard under Eakins?

All one has to do is look back to what Eakins said last June when he was hired, and compare it with the results.

How confident are you as an Oilers fan that "next season" (yet again) the team will be better (how can they be worse?) under the direction of Dallas Eakins?

Avatar
#3 Frank
April 06 2014, 08:42AM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
81
cheers

If this was their 2nd head coach they hired in the last 8 years, Eakins would be fired. The only reason they are keeping him is because they don't want to look more incompetent.

Avatar
#4 JSR
April 06 2014, 08:37AM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
78
cheers

Two years ago, I wondered why they let Renney go, then last year they let Kreuger go. I saw no reason to let either go, now I think Eakins is the wrong man for the job, so he will probably be retained...this all starts at the top...fire Six Rings!

Avatar
#5 dougtheslug
April 06 2014, 07:57AM
Trash it!
14
trashes
Cheers
75
cheers

Messier for coach? That's all the Oilers need, another rookie head coach who can learn (or not learn) on the job. Mac David here we come.

Huddy for assistant?

Really?

Nobody in the hockey universe who isn't an ex-Oiler can be considered for the job?

Avatar
#6 Czar
April 06 2014, 08:00AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
71
cheers

If the team isn't playing consistent hockey by Christmas then let him go.

Avatar
#7 Spydyr
April 06 2014, 07:40AM
Trash it!
32
trashes
Cheers
66
cheers

Is Eakins part of the problem or part of the solution?

My vote is part of the problem.

He was hired because Mac-T fell for his talk.He is all hat no cattle as DSF liked to say.

The only reason people say to keep him is for continuity in coaching.To avoid yet another coaching change.

It was one of Mac-T's first moves and firing Eakins would look bad on Mac-T.So I fully expect Eakins to be around to sink next season by Halloween yet again.

It is the Oiler way.

Avatar
#8 Oiler Al
April 06 2014, 10:11AM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
66
cheers

Got to love the line" can't fire Eakins, need to have continuity"

What, continue to be in 29th place again, is that what you mean by continuity.

Avatar
#9 Loweblows
April 06 2014, 08:25AM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
59
cheers
Czar wrote:

If the team isn't playing consistent hockey by Christmas then let him go.

The season should be over by then. I have zero confidence in this group of coaches.

Avatar
#10 Loweblows
April 06 2014, 08:23AM
Trash it!
22
trashes
Cheers
57
cheers

Eakins has been a disaster. Just more pablum from Lowetide.

Avatar
#11 Gret99zky
April 06 2014, 08:49AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
55
cheers

"Next season should be stronger..."

It's deja vu all over again.

Avatar
#12 Gret99zky
April 06 2014, 09:04AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
54
cheers

Eakins was a coach of an AHL team filled with players that would do anything they were asked to do for a chance to play in the NHL and get a big payday.

Here the players are already on the "big league team" and many are making millions and millions of dollars per season.

They are not motivated to do what Dallas asks.

This is the danger of hiring Nelson to replace Eakins. Nelson's players are motivated to take the next step.

This team needs an NHL coach.

Avatar
#13 Quicksilver ballet
April 06 2014, 09:40AM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
48
cheers

The Philadelphia Flyers were in 28th place last November when they fired their coach. One person being replaced there seems to have worked miracles there.

You can't fix stupid, when they're calling the shots.

Avatar
#14 Rick Stroppel
April 06 2014, 10:04AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
40
cheers
Retsinnab5 wrote:

My concern is that if the Oilers keep Eakins he's going to ruin Yakupov's career.

YAKUPOV IS KEY

You mean like Jacques Martin ruined Alexandre Daigle's career? Daigle's stats in his first two years in the NHL were very comparable to Yakupov's. In his third year the doo-doo hit the fan: 17 points in 50 games, minus 33.

I assume the evaluation of Eakins will include FRANK discussions with all the players. In business they call this "360 degree performance review". If Yakupov says "I like Eakins and I think I can succeed with him" that should be a substantial (not conclusive) factor. Ditto if he says "he's the worst coach I ever had and I really don't get what he's trying to do with the team".

A number one overall pick is a precious resource and the Oilers are wasting this one.

The Oilers management would not be so stupid as to make this coaching decision without seeking input from all the players...would they?

Avatar
#15 DevoKnows
April 06 2014, 08:32AM
Trash it!
15
trashes
Cheers
39
cheers

Bob Nickolson just stepped down from Hockey Canada. He would be a PERFECT candidate for POHO here in Edmonton!! Hire him, and let him bring in his own entourage. He is a proven WINNER!!!!!

C'mon Oil, don't "Fall A Sleep At The Wheel" on this one! It's probably our very best chance at getting out of this 8 Year Loser Of Culture we're in

Avatar
#16 120 stitches
April 06 2014, 09:44AM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
36
cheers

I have seasons tickets 5 rows behind the Oilers Bench. I have had a pretty good opportunity to watch Coach Eakins run his bench. He rarely displays emotion, has limited interaction with his players, does not seem to "work" the referees by questioning their decisions so you may get a close ones down the line, Rarely have I seen any fire or passion out of him. Same with his assistants who seem almost robotic with constant glum looks on their faces. The whole staff for the most part look like they are suffering from depression. I think McTavish wanted to pick a coach like him-someone who is cerebral, calm on the bench, good communicator with the media etc. The problem though as I observe it Eakins does not have the presence or gravitas that McTavish had and,in any event, McTavish was not that great a coach anyways. Take a look at the coaches that are currently winning in the NHL in contrast. Roy,Sutter,Boudreau,Babcock, Therrien, Julien, Mclellan, Hitchkock, Vigneault. They are all big personalities behind the bench- very passionate at appropriate times animated and,very interactive with their players and upbeat in contrast to our coaching staff who seem to only display any type of emotion when they frown at an Oilers mistake. We of course do not know what Eakins is like in the dressing room. From what I have seen of him though, I cannot see him giving much of a rousing speech to motivate his players. You need a strong , charismatic, dynamic personality to successfully coach an NHL hockey team these days- We do not have that with Eakins-- he seems indecisive, exhibits no passion and seems flustered much of the time. Just an example I like that Patrick Roy called out publicly yesterday the St Louis captain for going after Nathan McKinnon- saying he was not impressed with Backes going after an 18 year old. I can't see Eakins doing something like this-- he certainly did not have much to say about the Kassian incident. This is an example of the passion and leadership the current coaching staff lacks. It is clear to me Eakins has been a failure and will continue to be. For those that say we cannot change coaches because there has been too much turnover you cannot for these reasons maintain an inadequate and dysfunctional coaching staff. We have seen lots of examples of new coaching staffs come in situations where there has been lots of coaching turnover and finally get it right. Besides there is an option that may alleviate these concerns. If Todd Nelson and his staff get their team in the playoffs under such difficult circumstances he could be a strong candidate to take over. There would be a lot of continuity as he has coached very successfully a lot of these players. I am not saying he should be the new hire but he certainly should be given stronger consideration than when McTavish impulsively decided to change coaches last summer to a coach whose record was no better than Nelson's.

Avatar
#17 Lofty
April 06 2014, 09:44AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
36
cheers

1-3-1 powerplay and the swarm alone should be fireable offenses. The coaches job is to get the most out of his players. Instilling a system which doesn't work with the personnel available is the definition of bad coaching.

Avatar
#18 KSC10032
April 06 2014, 08:47AM
Trash it!
40
trashes
Cheers
35
cheers

I've said it before,...

Firing Eakins -- or any other coach -- is the easy part. The hard part is who do you replace him with???!!!

Well, all you members of the angry, torch-bearing mob? What is your -- realistic, mind you -- alternative? If you haven't got one, then "shadduppp!!!

Avatar
#19 KSC10032
April 06 2014, 09:31AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
35
cheers

To clarify my previous post, I am not advocating either position. Frankly, I have not watched enough hockey in the past few years to have even close to enough of a basis to form my own opinion on such a matter. I was and am just tired of the over-personalizing -- by some posters -- of every issue that is discussed.

As a matter of background and context, I am a contemporary of LT's. I'm a 60 year old former 20 year season ticket holder (1975-1995) who has become gradually less and less interested in NHL hockey in the intervening years.

I greatly enjoy this site, and LT's blog, but my following of the Oilers is basically restricted to these two venues, along with TV sports hi-lite clips and the TSN site. I have viewed, cumulatively, less than an entire Oilers game all year, (as well as for each of the last three or four seasons).

This is not just because of Oiler suckage -- I don't watch other games either. Its because of how today's game is played. As better articulated in both a recent interview with Zach Parise, and a more recent column by Cam Cole, today's average NHL game is becoming almost devoid of genuine, traditional, hockey action, and is, instead, a push-and-shove along the boards scrum-fest. Modern coaching and team/roster-building strategies have -- IMO only -- choked most of the life out of the game. So, after a few minutes of tuning in, I get bored and surf to something else.

I understand this is a minority position, and don't expect anyone else to agree. However, I do like reading the articles and postings here, and will continue to do so.

Flame away!

Avatar
#21 Oiler Al
April 06 2014, 08:03AM
Trash it!
25
trashes
Cheers
33
cheers

Wake up everyone! Eakins was a Katz hire!

Eakins was the "big chase" last year, and Katz was not to be outdone by the likes of Dallas or Vancouver for the supposedly big catch in the coaching lake.

Let's get him while he's hot.. and give him what he wants.[not sure of his salary, but 4 years is a big give]

What about Kruger? O ya, well fire him on skype.

I would fire Eakins and if not him then the other three stooges behind the bench.

Avatar
#22 CurtisS
April 06 2014, 09:34AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
33
cheers

Sad news for Oiler fans if he begins next season.

This guy couldnt figure out that this team wins more by playing Hall RNH Eberle together. Playing them for only 40% of games played this season, well no wonder our record is what it is.

Our Winning % with the big 3 playing together is .700 and with them split apart its .450 yet we only play them in 40% of the games this year?!?!?!

Our PP another black hole in his coaching. No way this roster with the previous success is this bad. The 1-3-1 isnt working Eakins!!!

Avatar
#23 a lg dubl dubl
April 06 2014, 08:00AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
32
cheers

I was listening to 1260 yesterday, they were talking about the possibility of Oates getting fired in Washington. My question to you LT, do you think he could be a candidate for the assistant coach with "hc experience" that has been talked about before?

I think he would be imo, he could run the pp and teach guys like RNH, and Gagner on the art that is face offs.

Avatar
#24 Oiler Al
April 06 2014, 10:22AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
32
cheers

If I am Eakins I would be nervous, if MacT, at seasons end asks Dallas if he has Skype on his computer?

Avatar
#25 Serious Gord
April 06 2014, 10:53AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
30
cheers
120 stitches wrote:

I have seasons tickets 5 rows behind the Oilers Bench. I have had a pretty good opportunity to watch Coach Eakins run his bench. He rarely displays emotion, has limited interaction with his players, does not seem to "work" the referees by questioning their decisions so you may get a close ones down the line, Rarely have I seen any fire or passion out of him. Same with his assistants who seem almost robotic with constant glum looks on their faces. The whole staff for the most part look like they are suffering from depression. I think McTavish wanted to pick a coach like him-someone who is cerebral, calm on the bench, good communicator with the media etc. The problem though as I observe it Eakins does not have the presence or gravitas that McTavish had and,in any event, McTavish was not that great a coach anyways. Take a look at the coaches that are currently winning in the NHL in contrast. Roy,Sutter,Boudreau,Babcock, Therrien, Julien, Mclellan, Hitchkock, Vigneault. They are all big personalities behind the bench- very passionate at appropriate times animated and,very interactive with their players and upbeat in contrast to our coaching staff who seem to only display any type of emotion when they frown at an Oilers mistake. We of course do not know what Eakins is like in the dressing room. From what I have seen of him though, I cannot see him giving much of a rousing speech to motivate his players. You need a strong , charismatic, dynamic personality to successfully coach an NHL hockey team these days- We do not have that with Eakins-- he seems indecisive, exhibits no passion and seems flustered much of the time. Just an example I like that Patrick Roy called out publicly yesterday the St Louis captain for going after Nathan McKinnon- saying he was not impressed with Backes going after an 18 year old. I can't see Eakins doing something like this-- he certainly did not have much to say about the Kassian incident. This is an example of the passion and leadership the current coaching staff lacks. It is clear to me Eakins has been a failure and will continue to be. For those that say we cannot change coaches because there has been too much turnover you cannot for these reasons maintain an inadequate and dysfunctional coaching staff. We have seen lots of examples of new coaching staffs come in situations where there has been lots of coaching turnover and finally get it right. Besides there is an option that may alleviate these concerns. If Todd Nelson and his staff get their team in the playoffs under such difficult circumstances he could be a strong candidate to take over. There would be a lot of continuity as he has coached very successfully a lot of these players. I am not saying he should be the new hire but he certainly should be given stronger consideration than when McTavish impulsively decided to change coaches last summer to a coach whose record was no better than Nelson's.

An excellent post in dire need of some paragraph breaks...

Avatar
#26 Woogie63
April 06 2014, 08:16AM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
29
cheers

Keep Eakins so we have continuity, the guys will not have to learn a new system?

Which part of the season are we building?

Which players are we hoping to continue to show the progress Eakins squeezed out of?

Avatar
#27 Serious Gord
April 06 2014, 10:35AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
29
cheers
Derian Hatcher wrote:

The following questions may be of the simplistic variety, yet I believe they are valid. I wonder how Oiler management would answer these in a truthful fashion, not their usual "patient and process" spin:

1) How did Colorado improve so much this season under Patrick Roy? 2) Paul Maurice seems to have a positive impact on the Jets - I believe Maurice was available last spring when Eakins was hired. 3) How does Bob Harlley get his players to work hard and compete game after game? 4) In reality, how much sense does is make the keep a coach whose team has not improved in any area of the game for the sake of continuity? 5) Is the Oiler team, as a whole, buying in and playing hard under Eakins?

All one has to do is look back to what Eakins said last June when he was hired, and compare it with the results.

How confident are you as an Oilers fan that "next season" (yet again) the team will be better (how can they be worse?) under the direction of Dallas Eakins?

By Eakins own metrics/rhetoric he should be fired a long time ago.

Avatar
#28 Serious Gord
April 06 2014, 10:21AM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
28
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

Is Eakins part of the problem or part of the solution?

My vote is part of the problem.

He was hired because Mac-T fell for his talk.He is all hat no cattle as DSF liked to say.

The only reason people say to keep him is for continuity in coaching.To avoid yet another coaching change.

It was one of Mac-T's first moves and firing Eakins would look bad on Mac-T.So I fully expect Eakins to be around to sink next season by Halloween yet again.

It is the Oiler way.

I would rather put it this way: is Eakins a cause or a symptom?

I think he is a symptom. Katz/Lowe/laforge are the cause of the pile of $hit that is this sorry excuse for an NHL franchise.

Firing Eakins - something I have been calling for since early December (and before that is questioned the hiring process, or rather lack of it) - only treats a symptom. Addressing the cause is the only long-term cure. That Katz was and maybe still is trying to hire messier is all the proof you need of what the disease is that is infecting this organization.

Avatar
#29 CMG30
April 06 2014, 08:51AM
Trash it!
16
trashes
Cheers
27
cheers

The team needs continuity. A new coach would necessitate the players learning a new system, AGAIN. This will scrub half a season, so come this time next year we'll be having the same conversations about different people. Ask yourselves why Eakins got such a lucrative contract? Danger pay for the Oilers recent history. You want to take a step forward? Then you need to stop singling out one guy and start looking at this thing as a whole.

Will the Oilers be better next season? Yes, for the simple reason they fixed their goal tending. I don't know how many people were watching at the beginning of the year but by my count Dubnyk cost them something like 10 of their first 20 games. That's 20 points right there that if we had, puts us in a totally different position. If they do something about the defense, I can see that translating to another 10 points. Now we're competing for a playoff spot.

Avatar
#30 Quintana
April 06 2014, 09:08AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
27
cheers
a lg dubl dubl wrote:

I was listening to 1260 yesterday, they were talking about the possibility of Oates getting fired in Washington. My question to you LT, do you think he could be a candidate for the assistant coach with "hc experience" that has been talked about before?

I think he would be imo, he could run the pp and teach guys like RNH, and Gagner on the art that is face offs.

If this team has Gagner as a 2 line C next year , be prepared to draft mcdavid or eichel.

Avatar
#31 Quicksilver ballet
April 06 2014, 09:18AM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
26
cheers

It matters little what we think. Should be interesting though to see the fallout of the post season meetings before the players head off into yet another 6 month off season. Will one of the #1 draft picks ask to be traded if Eakins is part of the staff next year. Can't be at all enjoyable going to work everyday with the ever present cancer hanging over this organization. Kinda refreshing to see some of the guys who leave this organization have some success with another team (Hemsky). Many a night this team played like it has no regard for the coach.

Having a raw rookie coach come in and "reset" (as MacTavish calls it) the organization, has to add another three yrs to this rebuild excuse we've all bought into at an unprecedented rate. There is one comfort in keeping Eakins on though, next season will allow the Oilers a shot at Conner McDavid.

Wandering in the desert, extended by atleast two more years with all this coaching instability.

Avatar
#32 DAVE
April 06 2014, 09:33AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
24
cheers

You can bully and browbeat minor league players, who will take any form of abuse to make it to the show. In the NHL, you have to have real leadership abilities, and that can't be taught. Fire Eakins now, he's a phony.

Avatar
#33 Mary Mcfly
April 06 2014, 10:10AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
24
cheers

MacT should take advantage of opportunity. If a great coach comes available (Trotz)... You try to hire him and if successful let go of Eakins. If not, you hang on to Eakins until the right coach is available. Do I think this will happen? No, I 'm sue we're stuck with Eakins for awhile longer.

Avatar
#34 Rama Lama
April 06 2014, 11:31AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
24
cheers

Eakins is still our best choice for a chance at Connor McDavid. What ever happened this year will repeat itself for next year ..........past performance is a good indicator for future performance.

Unless there is a wholesale change in upper management for symbolic reasons, the rest of the team will not improve.

Mac T will need to walk on water for a while.

Avatar
#35 Czar
April 06 2014, 11:15AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
23
cheers

@120 stitches

"He rarely displays emotion, has limited interaction with his player"

My better half will watch the odd game with me and has mentioned this almost every time. If the casual fan sees it, why doesn't MacT? If we need to spray him with a water bottle before every game to fire him up I'll volunteer.

Avatar
#36 Yaz
April 06 2014, 08:57AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers

@Czar

My bet firing Eakins by the end of October when we are out of the hunt again. Looks like 6 rings is going to stick with this guy, if they do for the love of God get him some new assistants. Somebody has to be able to coach defencemen and any pilon would do to replace Buccy..As far as Acton goes I am not sure but what I had hoped for he would have brought some of the passion he showed as a player where he was vocal and a real leader, I just have not seen that this year.

Avatar
#37 Dan 1919
April 06 2014, 09:01AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers
KSC10032 wrote:

I've said it before,...

Firing Eakins -- or any other coach -- is the easy part. The hard part is who do you replace him with???!!!

Well, all you members of the angry, torch-bearing mob? What is your -- realistic, mind you -- alternative? If you haven't got one, then "shadduppp!!!

As disappointing as this season has been I agree with your comment. There is no point firing any more coaches until this team actually has some decent player personal to evaluate. The Oilers defence is terrible, and the first thirty games that DD started in net the team was basically starting every game down 1 or 2-nothing.

The team actually played well in the first 30 games, goaltending just found ways to lose every night. I was saying it back then and I still believe that they became completely deflated from goaltending.

Not that they would have been a contender this year, but add two NHL d-men this offseason, come in next year with Scrivens and take it from there.

Avatar
#38 RMGS
April 06 2014, 09:33AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers

"Progress was made..."

Given that all the numbers (conventional and underlying) suggest the opposite, on what do you base this statement?

Avatar
#39 Serious Gord
April 06 2014, 10:30AM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers
a lg dubl dubl wrote:

I was listening to 1260 yesterday, they were talking about the possibility of Oates getting fired in Washington. My question to you LT, do you think he could be a candidate for the assistant coach with "hc experience" that has been talked about before?

I think he would be imo, he could run the pp and teach guys like RNH, and Gagner on the art that is face offs.

Why in the heck would a NHL HC come to work under an incompetent rookie HC here in EDM? If he would then IMO it disqualifies him for being such an idiot.

Avatar
#40 Al Low
April 06 2014, 10:53AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers

I think they'll keep Eakins, as well, mostly because of the foolish pride on the 'braintrust'. I understand the need for continuity but that should have been done with a more experienced NHL level hire last year. Either that, or keep Renney or Krueger. Eakins should have been brought up as an assistant because he's in over his head right now. I hope he comes back a completely different coach next year and proves us all wrong but I have my doubts. The best we can hope for is some quality assistants. I like some of the ideas on this board, like Oates and especially Huddy.

Avatar
#41 Stack Pad Save
April 06 2014, 08:50AM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
21
cheers
KSC10032 wrote:

I've said it before,...

Firing Eakins -- or any other coach -- is the easy part. The hard part is who do you replace him with???!!!

Well, all you members of the angry, torch-bearing mob? What is your -- realistic, mind you -- alternative? If you haven't got one, then "shadduppp!!!

The first step is to fire the coach. So until the decision is made to actually fire a coach, you shouldn't go looking for his replacement.......unless you're MacT. With a name like MacT you can even fire a guy over Skype.

Avatar
#42 fuzzy muppet
April 06 2014, 09:10AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
21
cheers
Lowetide wrote:

Oates is an interesting name. He played here, and was well thought of, so he's certainly worth talking about as an option.

Oates would be an excellent assistant. His mind for the PP is desperately needed.

Also, if I recall correctly, in his short time in Edmonton, both Horcoff and Stoll gleaned lots of techniques on the dot from Oates that helped them become more proficient at faceoffs. RNH and Gagner need to get better.

Avatar
#43 Total Points
April 06 2014, 11:57AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
21
cheers

@CurtisS

Eakins could not see that playing Hall, Eberle and RNH together was the thing to do, for that reason along he should be out.

Avatar
#44 Ricky's Jalapeno Chips
April 06 2014, 07:28AM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Cheers
20
cheers

You are right about Huddy. Purging him was a terrible move.

Lowetide, what are the chances of the Oil being able to get Griffin Reinhardt from the Isles? Is there a realistic scenario that could bring this about?

Avatar
#45 Czar
April 06 2014, 08:36AM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
20
cheers

@Loweblows

You're probably right, it would be too late to salvage the season but I can't see MacT cutting bait with his guy before then.

Bring in Nelson as an assistant so when they skid Eakins we have are coach in waiting. Good interview with JW at the cult of hockey, Nelson is deserving in my opinion.

Avatar
#46 Czar
April 06 2014, 09:22AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
20
cheers

@Alsker

Talk is cheap and that's all we seem to get as Oiler fans.

I think they still thought they could polish that turd in Nov. but if it looks and smells like sh!t ...

Avatar
#47 admiralmark
April 06 2014, 10:28AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
20
cheers

I think it's probably the right move "for now". I think that the problem I see that could be long term is Eakins stubbornness and lack of either flexibility or adaptability I guess is more appropriate? I mean if it's true and the latest surge by Hall and others is that Eakins changed there approach on zone entries? Well that was 65-70 games into a season?! And the PP ... we collectively have been screaming to change it for months.

In his pre season interviews he stated that he would prefer to install 2-3 different systems of play so that he could adjust mid game if necessary. Right now its sounding like a lot of hot air. How could any coach let alone an NHL level coach not think the PP needed to be totally adjusted? And while on the subject which of Buckberger and Smith are involved in designing this PP... They should be fired without question.

Bottom line is it at this point appears he does not have the ability to adapt quick enough for this league. But I guess you give him to xmas to see what he can do?

Avatar
#48 -30-
April 06 2014, 07:54AM
Trash it!
22
trashes
Cheers
18
cheers

#Resinnab5, Yakupov CAN'T turn into another Ovechkin.

If Eakins does it right this guy will be great but there's the problem, how to handle the guy and not ruin him. Yak can't be let go to freelance.

-30-

Avatar
#49 mlcselli
April 06 2014, 03:02PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
18
cheers

@Retsinnab5

My concern is if Eakins stays, Yak will get traded. Eakins doesn't like him and it is obvious by how he uses him. Ralph brought out the best in Yak and he had all kinds of confidence. Eakins comes in and in no time destroyed it. What a shame!!!!!!

Avatar
#50 Spydyr
April 06 2014, 09:24AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
17
cheers
Czar wrote:

Talk is cheap and that's all we seem to get as Oiler fans.

I think they still thought they could polish that turd in Nov. but if it looks and smells like sh!t ...

Summer is the Oilers season to sell hope along with season tickets.Just how many more years will it take before season ticket holders understand the wool is being pulled over their eyes.

As long as the building keeps selling out don't expect any real changes within the Oiler organization.

Comments are closed for this article.