GDB Wrap Up: Avalanche @ Oilers

baggedmilk
April 08 2014 11:16PM

Popcorn

I appreciate you this much...Final Score: 4-1 Avalanche

While all you Tier 2 fans were at home watching the game, I was sitting in Tier 1 territory getting showered with free gifts (read: free popcorn) and apologies (no apologies were given)! It was Fan Appreciation Night at Rexall and your ol' pal baggedmilk was in the building swinging his Tier 2 wallet like no one's business. What did I buy? Nothing. I refuse to buy merchandise until Kevin Lowe writes me a hand written apology for the last 8 years of my Oilers-loving life. Wait...does beer count? Because I did buy a lot of that.

Tonight was the first time I've ever been to Rexall on Fan Appreciation Night and a lot of people in the stands around me had some theories about how the prizes were distributed. The theory was that a good chunk of prizes were given to the empty seats. If I was to guess, I would say that 80% of the prizes were awarded to the lower bowl - I'm talking 100s - and the crowd was not happy about it. One of the loudest boos I heard all night was when two consecutive free flights were given out down there. In my section, nothing. Why am I complaining about the prizing? Because it was more interesting than the game.

Let's wrap it up...

The Bright Side

• I tried taking a picture of a dude with a Nation Hoodie for about 10 minutes, but he dodged me like a ninja
  • Said man with the Nation Hoodie probably wondered why I was stalking him and I found it hilarious
  • 28 goals for DP!
  • My total beer bill cost less than the cab ride home!
  • Not a single jersey was thrown on the ice
  • Toronto is out of the playoffs

The Face Palmers

• NO OLD DUTCH SNACK ATTACK
  • The winning 50/50 number started with 115 and my number started with 144 - he must have gotten to Rexall at 3pm
  • I took the over for how many times Blue by Eiffel 65 would be played - it was 2x

Best of the Tweets

Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 11.06.30 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 11.08.03 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 11.07.01 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 11.10.31 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 11.08.52 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 11.09.55 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 11.11.24 PM

94ea28cbbd0f9fe4153692bb3e38b40c
Twitter tyrant for @OilersNation - Resident Jackass - Poor vessel for carrying milk. Follow me on twitter (@jsbmbaggedmilk) - Instagram (@himynameisbaggedmilk) or email me at baggedmilk@oilersnation.com.
#51 mayorblaine
April 09 2014, 11:57AM
j wrote:

I just don't think Lowe is the problem everyone says he is. I haven't been watching Oil Change so may be speaking from ignorance but Lowe's primary role isn't managing the day to day roster/transactions. He is much higher up the food chain of a large organization going through major business transactions (arena, purchase of ECHL team, stability of Oklahoma, management changes etc). MacT is a legitimate GM and arguably a great fit for this team. Everyone is praising Yzerman despite him having less pedigree than MacT and inheriting a much stronger team. The past 4 years under Tambo were a disaster and will require time to rectify. Continuous turnover of management/ coaches is part of the problem. Gillis had a 6 year opportunity with a star studded, veteran team. His fall from grace has been spectacular. There are no magic beans - I am willing to give MacT a 5 year run and then we can evaluate where we are at.

i have zero insight about Lowe, but what i do know is that good organizations have goals and expectations and if management continually fails to meet them then they are held accountable. only so many coaches he can fire and GM's he should hire. nothing against the man, never met him. just the Oilers need to strive for better. as a leader he has continuously let the ticket buying, merchandise wearing fans down.

give Mact some time i can live with.

#52 Gerald R. Ford
April 09 2014, 12:29PM
Reg Dunlop wrote:

My old neighbor dodged the VietNam draft by painting his nails and arguing with himself. Maybe Ekblad will try the same ruse to avoid being selected by Leo Sayer aka Katz jr.

♪♫ ohhh, ohhh, yeah, yeah, I love this more than words can say. ♪♫

#53 Oiler Alaa
April 09 2014, 01:00PM
gr8haluschak wrote:

This is why I love Oilers fans, the so called most knowledgeable in the league, all Oilers players are garbage compared to everyone else's. Really "no one would trade the oilers top three for those avs" the combined 0.821 points per game of Hall eberle and RHN compared to the 0.75 points per game says otherwise. I will give you one thing though is the oilers drafting past round one is terrible considering nearly every NHL team has had at least one true impact player drafted beyond round one.

Fair enough on .821 vs .075, but if you look at the other side of the ledger my friend, you will see that the AVS, bunch are more responsible defensively.

My frustration is that the Oiler kids are very talented, but other than Hall RNH, Eberle and Yak,dont bring it evert night. Can you honestly say in last nights game that RNH and Eberle were even noticeable.

#54 gr8haluschak
April 09 2014, 01:24PM
Oiler Alaa wrote:

And you can say that Landeskog, Duchene, and Mackinnon are noticeable every night as well ? Taylor Hall has actually had a better plus minus that Duchene up until this year (sorry the first year he was -9 and Duchene was -8), not to mention your argument is based on dumping on individuals for a team system. I also love how you argue that RNH and Eberle are 2 of the 4 that bring it every night then go on to say that they were not noticeable last night.

#55 Ari Gold
April 09 2014, 03:03PM

I love that Perron's initials are DP. Amazing.

#56 ubermiguel
April 09 2014, 03:11PM
Ari Gold wrote:

I love that Perron's initials are DP. Amazing.

Dustin Penner had this amusing honor as well.

#57 DCC
April 09 2014, 04:18PM

'sigh'....this debacle of a season can't end soon enough. I haven't sat in my Tier 1 seats since November so....do they really play that awful Eiffel 65 song? Thankfully last night was SN's last telecast. Maybe those guys can all find time for haircuts now. It has become the Bad Hair Club for Men.

#58 Al Low
April 09 2014, 11:21PM
Hoozonphirst wrote:

Apparently 50% of the fans back Eakins and the job he has done this season. MacT. wants organizational stability. (Read: save face) and says Eakins stays. By what measure has Eakins done anything to improve this team? Turn the bottom 6 players into AHLers?Take a #1 draft pick and destroy his growth and confidence? How does gross incompetence equal stability and overall improvement for the future?

This crew of idiots could have the 1st overall pick for another 5 yrs and still f**k it into a cocked hat.

Dallas just needs MacT to acquire a couple of more Marlies and all will be well.