1LINE C?

Lowetide
May 10 2014 10:07AM

rnh common

I've been operating under the assumption that the Edmonton Oilers plan to bring in a 2 line center. A "Gagner replacement" and someone who will play between RNH at the top and Boyd Gordon/Mark Arcobello down below. What if the Oilers plan this summer is to hire a 1line C, and have the Nuge kill the soft parade?

parkatti faceoffs

Parkatti wrote an excellent piece on the subject here, it's a terrific read.

The main point for our purposes today is the idea that bringing in a 1line center, a more veteran center, is a better idea than bringing in a secondary guy. Put another way, instead of talking about Nazem Kadri or Sean Couturier, we might be talking about Ryan O'Reilly or Paul Stastny.

WHAT WOULD IT COST?

In the case of O'Reilly and Stastny, money. Lots and lots of money. They are both free agents, and have a high degree of value. Over at Fansided's Mile High Sticking, Avs fans were asked to vote on which one to play, and the results are significant.

stastny or o'reilly


VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

vollman sledgehammer avs

This is the Vollman, and I'm using Corsi Rel (players relative to their teammates). Both players are getting tough competition and similar zone starts, and both have good to very good numbers. Offensively, they're sold, and both are quality in the faceoff circle, although O'Reilly took many fewer this season.

WHAT SAY YOU?

Assuming the Avs can sign only one, which player would you like to see in an Oiler uniform? Does it make sense to pay the max (this will be a grand contract, well past Hall's $6 million) and to hire a center who is more experienced? Thus allowing the Nuge to kill the softs?

kunis0

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

Make no mistake, we're talking about spending the defensive money on a center. However, with Parkatti's information, and understanding the Nuge needs some help, is this a better plan?

It might be.



C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
Lowetide has been one of the Oilogosphere's shining lights for over a century. You can check him out here at OilersNation and at lowetide.ca. He is also the host of Lowdown with Lowetide weekday mornings 10-noon on Team 1260.
Avatar
#51 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
May 10 2014, 04:10PM
Trash it!
25
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

Oooh la la LT, talk nerdy to me.

No more numbers, it's too hard to focus after that attempted seduction eh.

Avatar
#52 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
May 10 2014, 04:19PM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers

@RossCreekNation

Also, almost zero chance Sean Couturier is moved in PHI.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ding ding ding ding, winnah, lets select another young top center, maybe even a little better than Sean. I'd think the Flyers are more likely to move Couturier than, say, the Boston Bruins are in moving a Tyler Seguin. That guy is a lock to be a Bruin for a long long time. Don't you think Ross?

Avatar
#53 Jimmer
May 10 2014, 04:24PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers

KLowe replaces Bob Nicholson. Problem solved. Now back to the actual topic...Nuge is will be fine. A centre looks bad...really bad...if you don't have a good defence. Fix the D first please...then assess what we need at centre.

Avatar
#54 GCW
May 10 2014, 05:15PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

I would love to see the Oilers grab Stastny. But I would guess he will cost the Oilers $7.5M per season.

That would give the Oilers a top six costing approximately $33.2m. It's doable but it means value contracts are needed outside the top six, which then means Ference and Hendricks are a problem.

Avatar
#55 Danoilerfanincalgary
May 10 2014, 05:20PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
18
cheers

If you can sign a free agent and lose no assets why concern ourselves with overpaying a player if it does not affect the cap? We would be lucky if any of those players were interested in coming to Edmonton to begin with. I liked it better when we didn't know salaries and everything was based solely on their play. I am more concerned with the Oilers asset management as our habit of trading or losing players for nothing e.g.Greene,Stoll,Ciogliano,Glenncross,Brodziak etc. let's see… 3rd and 4th line centres who win face-offs, a big heavy tough defensive defenseman and a solid top nine winger with an edge just what this team needs.

Avatar
#56 bazmagoo
May 10 2014, 05:32PM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

Stastny could be a great move, but not at more than $6 mil per season. Considering this is his best season to date I'd reasonably assume he's hit his ceiling as this is a UFA contract year. He'd a great addition to the Oilers, but I'd much rather spend that cash on a #1 d-man myself. Too bad there isn't any available.

The team cap of a max of $6 mil per core piece is about the only thing we've got going for us right now.

Avatar
#57 Jeffff
May 10 2014, 06:57PM
Trash it!
20
trashes
Cheers
26
cheers

I wonder how the fans will react to not making the playoffs for the next 2yrs. Can't wait for the excuses.

Avatar
#58 PoBoy
May 10 2014, 07:15PM
Trash it!
21
trashes
Cheers
26
cheers
Jeffff wrote:

I wonder how the fans will react to not making the playoffs for the next 2yrs. Can't wait for the excuses.

You mean the next 5

Avatar
#59 Jeffff
May 10 2014, 07:17PM
Trash it!
22
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers
PoBoy wrote:

You mean the next 5

Yes, your right.

Avatar
#60 Oiler63
May 10 2014, 07:23PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers

If we stick to the $6M ceiling then forget about a top D from out of the organization.

Avatar
#61 SlowTalker
May 10 2014, 07:46PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

http://www.theguardian.com/science/head-quarters/2014/feb/25/internet-trolls-are-also-real-life-trolls

Avatar
#62 madjam
May 10 2014, 07:58PM
Trash it!
42
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

Gagner, Musil and our first pick to Dallas for Seguin and their 2nd round pick .

Avatar
#63 OilClog
May 10 2014, 07:59PM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Cheers
18
cheers

Spezza

Avatar
#64 seanjohn667
May 10 2014, 08:01PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
29
cheers
RexHolez wrote:

Blow me. He's the reason were in this position, period. But I guess you're an oiler fan so you have no problems with being a loser. Lets just keep everything the same.

i respect you opinion, but i completely disagree. It is the POHO that attracts (or doesn't) top talent. It is the POHO that sets the direction of the team, ie. thinking the NHL is becoming a speedy, skilled league again, and therefore, drafting small wingers over and over. It is the POHO that has to stand up to the owner when he insists on picking the players he likes, but the scouts don't. It is the POHO that runs a professional organization that hires the best, and fires the incompetent, or hires friends and doesn't have the stones to let them go. It is the POHO that gives the impression of professionalism that can attract FAs. There is sooooo many examples and plenty of evidence that KLowe absolute must go, it is miles beyond argument. Seriously, not trying to be a jerk, but defense of KLowe is ridiculous. The man is cleary bad for the organization and is hurting it in many ways. As long as he is at the helm, they will never be taken seriously by FAs and agents.

Avatar
#65 billions
May 10 2014, 08:31PM
Trash it!
51
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

we need a first line centre a first line winger a first line bruiser a first pair dman, a president of hockey operations who is not an ass hole like kevin lowe and someone who appreciates the fans.

Oh and someone who is not french canadian, cuz god damn those frenchies are idiots.

We could probably use a black guy or two-- usually pays dividends

Oh and better music at the games, get DJ Azaad

Avatar
#66 oilers
May 10 2014, 10:41PM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
25
cheers
seanjohn667 wrote:

i respect you opinion, but i completely disagree. It is the POHO that attracts (or doesn't) top talent. It is the POHO that sets the direction of the team, ie. thinking the NHL is becoming a speedy, skilled league again, and therefore, drafting small wingers over and over. It is the POHO that has to stand up to the owner when he insists on picking the players he likes, but the scouts don't. It is the POHO that runs a professional organization that hires the best, and fires the incompetent, or hires friends and doesn't have the stones to let them go. It is the POHO that gives the impression of professionalism that can attract FAs. There is sooooo many examples and plenty of evidence that KLowe absolute must go, it is miles beyond argument. Seriously, not trying to be a jerk, but defense of KLowe is ridiculous. The man is cleary bad for the organization and is hurting it in many ways. As long as he is at the helm, they will never be taken seriously by FAs and agents.

Perfectly said.

All you Lowe lovers are doomed to follow a loser till the end of time.

Avatar
#67 Bishai in the Benches
May 10 2014, 11:39PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

@oilers

Holy crap.... I am FAR from a Lowe lover. I'm just saying that the results from this season are solely based upon player performance for this season, and these are MacT's players. HE needs to make the changes necessary to win. IMO Lowe doesn't have much power or say anymore. He messed up, but firing him now is simply an accountability move (still needs to happen) and won't change the team's fortunes next year unless new players are brought in.

Get good players, keep good players.

Avatar
#68 Dan
May 11 2014, 02:29AM
Trash it!
36
trashes
Cheers
20
cheers

Nuge needs to grow a pair for one thing. He has played pussy hockey from the start. I haven't heard him say even once post game anything but the usual blah blah blah about how the team is improving and getting better. He is one big bag of excuses. Bad pick. He clearly gasn't got what it takes. Bad pick.

Eberle and Schultz are the same style of player. All offence no defence and no apparent likelihood of change. Nut transplants all round please.

Avatar
#69 Thatguy
May 11 2014, 03:31AM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers

@Dan

I do agree that there are a few too many of the same players in Nuge, Ebs, Gags and Shultz. A couple also should probably be moved to create a more dynamic roster which can give and take "Heavy Hockey". Because this whole passing it into the net with these overly adored young skinny good at trick shots in practice type players isn't getting anything done 'round these parts. Then again most of oil nation would shart a collective brick if we had to ship out a good player for a good player. Like any team would somehow want some magic beans and spare parts for their significant investments.

Avatar
#70 madjam
May 11 2014, 08:10AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

The team does not require it to have all Lucic type players . Boring hockey if it was . We need more size and physically to surround our young base . Your not going to get much physicality from our youthful seeing as they are not that type of player to begin with . They can still be more combative in battles , however , and that's what Eakins appears to be instilling in them . Progress , although slower than anticipated or hoped for in this regard ,is still pretty limited but is moving forward somewhat .

It' about getting some more players on each top line to open up our type of game and handle the physicality aspect for each line . We presently do not have that ,even though Perron I classify as combative . You still need superior skill to compliment size and physicality - two way street .

Avatar
#71 Ed in Edmonton
May 11 2014, 09:41AM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Oiler63 wrote:

If we stick to the $6M ceiling then forget about a top D from out of the organization.

I think there is virtually no chance the Oil will land a big fish via free agency to fill either of their glaring holes (top pair D man or 1C).

This brings me back to my thought that the Oil should be actively entertaining offers for their top draft pick this year.

Avatar
#72 Dman09
May 11 2014, 09:54AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

I think it depends on what kind of a rise in salary cap we see this year. It might be enough to offset the signing of a player like O'Rielly. The Oil could still be in good shape as they also have a bunch of retained salaries/mistakes coming off the books and I would have to assume that if a center is coming in then Gagner is moving out. Can Gagner get you a good 3C ????

Avatar
#73 Ed in Edmonton
May 11 2014, 10:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Dman09 wrote:

I think it depends on what kind of a rise in salary cap we see this year. It might be enough to offset the signing of a player like O'Rielly. The Oil could still be in good shape as they also have a bunch of retained salaries/mistakes coming off the books and I would have to assume that if a center is coming in then Gagner is moving out. Can Gagner get you a good 3C ????

Its not just about $. There is little about the Oil that would likely attract a big fish free agent. Bad team, bad management, bad weather, bad travel schedule.

Avatar
#74 Sketchy
May 11 2014, 10:42AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

What's with all the O'Reilly talk? Wasn't he a hold out? It's all about the money for him. Why would we want that in our locker room?

Avatar
#75 Ed in Edmonton
May 11 2014, 11:15AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Sketchy wrote:

What's with all the O'Reilly talk? Wasn't he a hold out? It's all about the money for him. Why would we want that in our locker room?

It would be interesting to see a list of "holdouts". I think we would find there are a lot of excellent contributors who have been holdouts. Holding out (for $ reasons)is just the business side of the NHL.

Avatar
#76 Ari Gold
May 11 2014, 11:31AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
19
cheers
billions wrote:

we need a first line centre a first line winger a first line bruiser a first pair dman, a president of hockey operations who is not an ass hole like kevin lowe and someone who appreciates the fans.

Oh and someone who is not french canadian, cuz god damn those frenchies are idiots.

We could probably use a black guy or two-- usually pays dividends

Oh and better music at the games, get DJ Azaad

How is a post like this acceptable?

You, sir, are a clown. Stop worrying about what languages players speak and the colour of their skin. If you're just classlessly trying to get a rise out of everyone, you've succeeded. If you actually believe this, you've got some growing up to do, regardless of your current age.

Moving on....

Avatar
#77 Sketchy
May 11 2014, 11:44AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Ed in Edmonton wrote:

It would be interesting to see a list of "holdouts". I think we would find there are a lot of excellent contributors who have been holdouts. Holding out (for $ reasons)is just the business side of the NHL.

Would you say the same thing if gagner held out or if Hall did?

Avatar
#78 sintaxi
May 11 2014, 12:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
jonny94 wrote:

As much as I'd love to have Stastny on the Oilers I don't think we should give a contract any bigger then Hall.

Call me crazy but I'd like the Oilers to follow a pay structure that no one makes more then Taylor Hall. It's the same idea Detroit did with Lidstrom.

Wing is the least important position on the ice. I think it would be unwise to establish a policy that always has Hall as the highest paid player on the team when centre dept is incredibly thin.

The oilers underdeveloped at the centre position by far and there are only two possible solutions, time, or money. Which would you rather pay?

Avatar
#79 Jordan1126
May 11 2014, 12:47PM
Trash it!
22
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

id do whatever it takes to get mackinnon... , nuge, kleftbom, and the1st rounder, hell even throw in marincin.

then i would trade yakupov, gagner and a prospect for sequin.

then i would resign hemsky to play top 6

then the oilers would have hall mackinnon hemsky first line and free agent sequin and perron 2nd line.

strength down the middle with scoring on the wings

role players through lines 3 and 4...problem solved :)

end of big splash...

Avatar
#80 Lochenzo
May 11 2014, 01:43PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

This is the first summer where Nuge isn't recovering from shoulder surgery. I'm hoping that makes a huge difference for him going into next season.

We should be looking to add experience to important positions on the team. 2C and top 2 D. I'm sure we led the league in terms of minutes played by kids under 25.

Avatar
#81 Lofty
May 11 2014, 02:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers

Marcincin 47 minutes played in the worlds in two games. Leading the team. Its the little things in May.

Avatar
#82 Ryan14
May 11 2014, 04:22PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

@seanjohn667

Actually, ownership decides the direction of the team. Upper management merely puts ownerships decree into action. To demonstrate this point, who did the oilers management/scouting staff want to draft (as the rumours say) in 2011? Who did ownership want to draft? Who did the oilers draft?

Avatar
#83 Gk1980
May 12 2014, 06:05AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

Hardly anyone talks about spezza. Rumour is he is being shopped out west according to Ferraro. May not be an offensive juggernaut but he is respnsible and has what this team sorely lakes in its top 6, experience. He would be a good pick-up in my books.

Theoretically the oilers will be a year older and "should" be naturally getting better. Theoretically.

Avatar
#84 Sorensenator
May 12 2014, 09:51AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Dan wrote:

Nuge needs to grow a pair for one thing. He has played pussy hockey from the start. I haven't heard him say even once post game anything but the usual blah blah blah about how the team is improving and getting better. He is one big bag of excuses. Bad pick. He clearly gasn't got what it takes. Bad pick.

Eberle and Schultz are the same style of player. All offence no defence and no apparent likelihood of change. Nut transplants all round please.

He plays it safe with the media, not a very outspoken guy.

I don't know what hockey you have been watching because Nuge has a nastiness to his game. He doesn't put up with BS unlike Gagner.

Give him a couple more years to fill out, the kid still looks like he's 12 for peats sake.

Avatar
#85 Tikkanese
May 12 2014, 11:00AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Sorensenator wrote:

He plays it safe with the media, not a very outspoken guy.

I don't know what hockey you have been watching because Nuge has a nastiness to his game. He doesn't put up with BS unlike Gagner.

Give him a couple more years to fill out, the kid still looks like he's 12 for peats sake.

"I don't know what hockey you have been watching" because Gagner doesn't put up with BS. Ask Beauchemin, Jack Johnson or any of the 5 other guys he's fought in the NHL. With a 3-2-2 record overall I might add by the votes on hockeyfights.com. Featherweight Champ of the NHL lest we forget.

Nuge is starting to develop a little pushback, possibly rubbing off from Perron? I like it.

Avatar
#86 Towersofdub
May 12 2014, 11:56AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
John Chambers wrote:

Still think we see Eric Staal in C&B silks this fall.

why do you think that? And why do people insists on referring to hockey sweaters as "silks"? It's the most nonsensical phrase of all time!!!!

Comments are closed for this article.