ENJOY THIS!

Lowetide
May 13 2014 03:15PM

oil kings win

The Edmonton Oil Kings won the WHL championship last night, and today is a time to bask in the glow of victory for the team, their managers and the fans. Oh sure, you'll hear "they have to win the Memorial Cup" and "they should have won it in G6" but that misses the point: there's a champion in our midst, and they are worthy of celebration!

EPIC

The Oil Kings-Winterhawks games from this era should be placed in a vault and sent to the Hall of Fame. Crazy talent married to plot turns that would be discarded as farce under normal circumstances, the town team rode a giant on defense (Griffin Reinhart), a monster on offense (Curtis Lazar) and quality support up and down the order to the championship.

One of the questions we can ask ourselves today is: How many of these kids have a legit chance at NHL employment in the years ahead? I'll list Reinhart, Lazar, Henrik Samuelsson, Mitch Moroz, Cody Corbett and Tristan Jarry as locks or likely. A secondary 'trending' list might include Brett Pollock, Dysin Mayo, Aaron Irving and Mads Eller.

That's a helluva list for one junior hockey team. The Edmonton Oil Kings are loaded this spring, and won it all because of it.

THE MEMORIAL CUP 2012!

oil kings mem cup 2012

It's funny, so many names remain, but there are a flood of memories that return when looking down the 2012 Memorial Cup roster. Returnees are Tristian Jarry, Cody Corbett, Ashton Sautner, Griffin Reinhart, Henrik Samuelsson, Curtis Lazar, Mitchell Moroz.

Those men will be important to the younger group, the experience of 2012's Memorial Cup loss could serve as inspiration for this year's team.

sharapova gif

BLESS YOU BOYS, DO IT AGAIN!

There is really no time to waste, the Oil Kings play in London Saturday afternoon. However, for the fans like you and me, this is a time to celebrate a WHL championship and to enjoy a brilliant season by this brilliant team.

Godspeed, Oil Kings!

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 Brad
May 13 2014, 04:34PM

Edmonton Oil Kings versus Portland Winterhawks - one of the greatest rivalries in sports today

Cheers = True

Trash = False

#2 Wintoon
May 13 2014, 03:24PM

So often, as fans of the Oilers and the NHL, we become blase over achievements by other teams in other leagues. Suffice it to say, the Oil Kings journey is no less strenuous nor any less significant than a Stanley Cup run. They are playing the best against the best and that in itself is noteworthy.

Best of luck in the quest for the Memorial Cup.

#3 Leef O'Golin
May 13 2014, 03:23PM

Awesome work, boys. How much longer can they hold to Derek Laxdal?

#4 Spydyr
May 13 2014, 04:31PM

As an Oiler,Eskimos and Raiders fan it so very refreshing to cheer for a winner.Keep it up boys and bring back the Memorial Cup for Kristian Pelss.

#5 HardBoiledOil
May 13 2014, 03:46PM

^because Kulda wasn't taken! but he will be in the upcoming draft. congrats to the Oil Kings for giving us long suffering pro sports team sufferers some relief and giving us something to cheer about....finally!!

#6 ubermiguel
May 13 2014, 04:38PM
Brad wrote:

Cheers = True

Trash = False

I just learned that the Portland Winterhawks used to be the Edmonton Oil Kings! It's like the Cleveland Browns meeting the Baltimore Ravens in the Super Bowl 3 years in a row...if the Browns didn't suck of course.

#7 HardBoiledOil
May 13 2014, 09:45PM

^@Anton....the Canucks are imploding....first, they trade the wrong goalie, then they finally trade the right one, and now they have no goaltending....then they let Alain go and hire Torts....a complete GONG show, and it doesn't bother me a bit.

#8 ubermiguel
May 13 2014, 04:35PM

With the core of top players returning they have a very good chance at winning this Memorial Cup.

Pelss will be returning in spirit. It's amazing to see Moroz's heartfelt connection to his departed friend. I hope we all have a friend that would work so hard to carry on our memory.

#9 He Who Knows
May 13 2014, 06:19PM

Congrats Oil Kings, nothing but respect. Now that is a team that knows a thing or two about winning.

#10 SlowTalker
May 13 2014, 07:50PM

Ha! The scruffs can't even congratulate the Oil Kings without putting in a dig about the Oilers.

I'm liking Mads Eller more and more. Good size too.

#11 BecauseICan
May 13 2014, 05:29PM

Eberle, 2014 1st, gagner, and musil for Tavares

#12 Turkadactyl
May 13 2014, 04:47PM

I was impressed with Kulda throughout the playoffs. Mads played with great intensity. I think Mayo was the most consistent defense man throughout the playoffs. Wouldn't mind the Sr. Oilers picking up one of the aforementioned three.

#13 D
May 13 2014, 08:06PM

Moroz played a very good game last night.

#14 Danger Pay
May 13 2014, 05:38PM

Wake up Edmonton! We don't get to do this very often, now Let's Go!!

#15 Harlie
May 13 2014, 04:29PM

Yep Kulda looked good in Game 6. Might be a bit undersized but he plays on edge and is a right place at the right time (excellent positioning) player.

Also, and I know I'm biased, but Riley Keiser was a great addition to the team this year, had excellent stats, took the tough face offs, played in the last minute of most games, and was a beast of a back checker.

Count me as a Laxdal fan too.

#16 Pouzar99
May 13 2014, 09:44PM

As an Oiler season ticket holder I can't make it too many Oil King games, as I don't want to spend every night at Rexall. I do make it to a few regular season and playoff OK games, including all ten against Portland the last three years, and they have provided the best value for money in sports I have experienced since the Oilers' miracle 2006 playoff run. Great coaching, unbelievable intensity. Gotta love these kids.

#17 Oilbaron
May 14 2014, 01:50AM

Oiler fan in Calgary... I watched the last few games to catch a bit of Moroz, and I'm so disappointed I didn't start watching the WHL playoffs earlier!

Truly exciting hockey and what a team. I'm finding myself looking forward to Oil Kings games more than the NHL playoffs.

Boo ya memorial cup!

#18 A-Mc
May 14 2014, 09:05AM

How epic would it be to have an attendance swap between the Oilkings and The Oilers?

The Oilkings selling out rexall while the Oilers barely able to fill the lower bowl. I think that would send a pretty clear message!

Good Job Boys!

#19 Will
May 13 2014, 03:30PM

Both your list and your article completely misses Edgars Kulda. He was so good in game 6. He was draft eligible last year but I can't see anywhere he got drafted.

#20 hemi
May 13 2014, 08:27PM

Even if we are a Oiler town first and a hockey town second, the big club can learn a lot about winning from the Oil Kings. Congrats to the entire Oil King organization, you folks are top shelf and deserve all the praise that comes with being champs! You all did yourselves proud and you have helped a city so desperate for a winning team.

I feel pretty darn good wearing the Oil King hat and jersey. Take note Oilers.......

#21 Anton CP
May 13 2014, 09:34PM

Nice to have a winner to cheer for in this town again. Hope that Oil Kings can do what they have failed 2 seasons ago, winning the Memorial Cup!

We want cup! We want cup! We want cup!

On the side note, wonder how Nucks feel when they watch Vigneault takes Rangers to come back from 1-3 and upset Pens.

#22 Quicksilver ballet
May 14 2014, 09:01AM

Oiler humiliation to follow.

Doesn't seem to be much to watch for prospects up for grabs in June in this Memorial Cup tournament.

That Weber for Malkin makes a lot of sense for both teams, if they're both looking to shake things up some. Wonder if James Neal is allergic to Edmonton with the Pens needing perhaps to shed a contract.

#23 Harry2
May 13 2014, 11:15PM
Hemmercules wrote:

I love the randomness of this comment, cudos. Eberle gets traded and I'm flipping tables.

Congrats to the oil kings. Although I don't follow them, it must be nice for edmontonians to see some winning hockey.

If Eberle gets traded for Tavares and a table flips you should be under it. Although I think it will take more than that to get him, it woild be so worth it

#24 Mjolnir
May 14 2014, 09:00AM

Keegan has duel citizenship. Tried out for team Canada and didn't make it. Tried out for team USA and made. Now he is American as far as hockey is concerned. Same as oleksiak, just reversed.

#25 Geoff
May 13 2014, 08:13PM
BecauseICan wrote:

Eberle, 2014 1st, gagner, and musil for Tavares

Unfortunately it would have to be Taylor hall and stuff for Tavares :(

#26 Hemmercules
May 13 2014, 08:05PM
BecauseICan wrote:

Eberle, 2014 1st, gagner, and musil for Tavares

#27 zangetsu
May 13 2014, 03:29PM

What about Cole Benson, Stud of the World?

#28 HardBoiledOil
May 13 2014, 06:21PM
Turkadactyl wrote:

Stu MacGregor and his boys were probably too busy scouting the BCHL to find the next Evan Campbell !

#29 Hemmercules
May 14 2014, 07:38AM
Harry2 wrote:

That trade would never happen so I wasnt really talking about that per say. Ebs is my favorite, I'm flipping tables no matter who he gets traded for.

#30 Mike Krushelnyski
May 14 2014, 09:38AM
j wrote:

I note the american flag next to Lowe. Is that accurate?

Just one more reason to dislike that last name

#31 HardBoiledOil
May 14 2014, 10:14AM
A-Mc wrote:

Good Job Boys!

that's too funny, but scary at the same time in that it would serve the Oilers right, but the last thing Oiler fans need right now is instability as far as the franchise goes. we went through that in the 90's with low attendance, questionable ownership, always a threat present to move the team elsewhere and visits from Houston's own Les Alexander to see about moving the team there....totally the last thing anyone needs right now.

#32 CaliforniaOil
May 13 2014, 11:39PM

Artus Kulda, Edgars brother,is one of the best Latvian defenders since ozilinsh, these Kulda boys are good and the Oil would be smart to pick the young one up before he jets back to Riga. Maybe we can pitch a good enough deal to artus to come play for us if we draft Edgars... Pipe dreams but hey thats all we got.

#33 j
May 14 2014, 08:18AM

I note the american flag next to Lowe. Is that accurate?

#34 ubermiguel
May 14 2014, 08:29AM
j wrote:

I note the american flag next to Lowe. Is that accurate?

Keegan was born when Kevin was playing for the Rangers, so probably.

#35 Will
May 14 2014, 10:21AM

I watched a few games in the series and I was rather unimpressed with both Reinheart and Samulsson. As for Moroz, it's nice to see him getting a push to the top line, but he lost that spot in game six after a few shifts of just chasing the puck around in his own zone. He needs to work on a few things, and it seemed like when he touched the puck he'd forget about his skating. I think if he can simplify his game under Nelson, and just be that guy that goes to the net, he could make it to the NHL and be a useful player.

The second goal he assisted on in game six was a thing of beauty though. he muscled a guy off the puck made a play to skate back the other way and dished a perfect feed to Samulson for the goal.

I know he's a winger and I'm not trying to say he needs to be defensively responsible or anything, but he does need to learn what to do and where to go without the puck, and how to play a little better in his own end to be more effective and breaking up plays.

#36 Will
May 14 2014, 10:23AM
CaliforniaOil wrote:

If he went undrafted last year, I can't imagine he's high on a lot of lists for this year. This kid would be a good late round pick who could turn into a player if he got some weight.

#37 DT
May 14 2014, 06:58PM

I remember watching the world juniors and Ray Ferraro said he liked the hockey because they made at least one mistake per shift, but they are very entertaining. He then said that the will go onto the NHL where coaches will coach the creativity out of them. The las few years has been great watching an entertaining and winning product. I wish NHL coaches were more open to creativity.

#38 Casey
May 14 2014, 09:33PM

As an Oilers,Broncos(Denver), and Oil Kings fan I was dissapointed and embarrased soo many times this year. It feels so good to feel like a winner. Congratz boys(men the way they are playing)!!

#39 Oilbaron