The Oilers Centre Depth Chart

Jonathan Willis
May 17 2014 01:34PM

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins2

A year ago, the Edmonton Oilers entered the year with a centre depth chart featuring Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Sam Gagner (both injured) in the top two jobs, Mark Arcobello as a fill-in, Boyd Gordon in the third-line job and Will Acton on the fourth line.

The results weren’t pretty. Where do they go from here?

The Givens

93-RNH-11

The first-line job seems destined to remain with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. I’ve heard some complaint about that from Oilers fans – the consensus seems to be that he isn’t big enough – but this is what happens when a team does the kind of scorched-earth rebuild the Oilers have engaged in. Young players get pushed into hard jobs before they’re really ready for them.

Nugent-Hopkins is a special player; I think everyone realizes that. He’s a good bet to grow into the role and it’s difficult to see the Oilers finding someone better than him over the summer (Jason Spezza, to pick the obvious choice, would be a nice fit but he’ll be costly to acquire and he’s a year away from free agency). Barring something very unexpected, the Oilers’ best play is to leave Nugent-Hopkins in the top slot.

27-Gordon-1

Boyd Gordon did a nice job in a tough role last season, but in a perfect world he slots in on the fourth line next year. The Oilers need to get some offence from their third line, and that would be helped immensely if the fourth line can take a pile of defensive zone draws and take some of the ugly defensive work away from the top-nine. With Gordon and Matt Hendricks, that’s a real possibility.

Unresolved

89-Gagner-7

Sam Gagner has been traded on the internet countless times over the last couple of years, and this summer it seems a good bet that he’ll be traded for real. He’s a better player than he sometimes gets credit for, but he has significant issues and an injury at the start of last season helped highlight those.

In the unlikely event that Gagner stays, he’ll centre a protected scoring line. If he’s dealt, it will likely be to a team with a surplus of checkers and a need of some scoring. The names generally mentioned in rumour are guys like the Islanders’ Josh Bailey (6’1”, 194 pounds, career-high 38 points) or Nashville’s Colin Wilson (6’1”, 216 pounds, career-high 35 points).

The upshot is that the Oilers could end up with a second-line centre, a third-line centre, or something else entirely there.

26-Arcobello-5

Mark Arcobello and Anton Lander were both re-signed by Edmonton. Arcobello is a gifted offensive centre who showed a capacity to do a lot of different things last season, but it wouldn’t be a surprise if there was some hesitancy by the Oilers to pencil him into their top-nine. Lander is a gifted defensive centre who has struggled to convert his game to the NHL level; if he’s in the starting-12 it will likely be on the fourth line.

The Oilers also currently hold the third overall pick in the 2014 Draft, and the most likely selection is a centre. If the Oilers come away with any of Sam Reinhart, Sam Bennett or Leon Draisaitl that player would likely be bumped immediately to the NHL as the centre of a protected scoring line – perhaps with Nail Yakupov on one wing and a veteran defensive winger on the other side.

So What Happens?

Craig MacTavish9

Edmonton won’t be able to finalize their plans until after this summer’s entry draft. If they add a centre, there really isn’t much room for Gagner, and trading him for a third-line pivot (and bumping Boyd Gordon down to the fourth line) makes great sense.

If, instead, the Oilers add a defenceman via the draft, things get more complicated. My guess is that they would still attempt to move Gagner for a third-line pivot and then try to find a replacement second-line centre via free agency.

The only certainty here is uncertainty. As Kevin Lowe might put it, expect the unexpected.

RECENTLY BY JONATHAN WILLIS

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, Sportsnet, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#51 godot10
May 18 2014, 12:57AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Matt Hendricks was a third liner in 2010-11.

Since then he has 24 points in 203 games.

You need some offence from the third line; Hendricks doesn't provide it.

How many 4th liners get 4 year contracts? 4 year contracts for $1.8 million per season.

That is 3rd line money.

So if Matt Hendricks isn't 3rd line capable, then MacT is a bad GM for trading for that contract.

Money and duration tells a fan what role the GM thinks the player can play (in a hard cap world).

Avatar
#52 nuge2nail
May 18 2014, 01:16AM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

Oiler Domination To Follow

I like Gordan Hendricks on the 4th line.

We could roll 4 lines like the teams that make the playoffs.

Avatar
#53 nuge2nail
May 18 2014, 01:18AM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers
godot10 wrote:

How many 4th liners get 4 year contracts? 4 year contracts for $1.8 million per season.

That is 3rd line money.

So if Matt Hendricks isn't 3rd line capable, then MacT is a bad GM for trading for that contract.

Money and duration tells a fan what role the GM thinks the player can play (in a hard cap world).

Oiler Domination To Follow

Did you watch Hendricks play?

He's worth every penny- and that's an understatement.

Avatar
#54 Walter Sobchak
May 18 2014, 02:25AM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
nuge2nail wrote:

Oiler Domination To Follow

Did you watch Hendricks play?

He's worth every penny- and that's an understatement.

Matt Hendricks is 32 years old making 1.85 million for 3 more years and had 7 points last year………..That’s not 3rd line points and certainly not worth the money he’s getting paid, That has overpay and 4th line written all over it!

Here are the Kings 4th line players during the regular season.

Lewis – 11 points – 1.5 mill - x 2 more years is 27 yrs old

Clifford - 8 points - 1.1 mill - x1 more year with RFA status is 23 yrs old

Nolan - 10 points – 700 K - RFA next season is 24 yrs old

http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/lines/26/los-angeles-kings

This is L.A’s set up during the SC playoffs.

Some actually think Hendricks is an acceptable 3rd line player at 1.85 million, how do you think the Oilers get better if they are over paying talent for the 4th line when a Stanley Cup contender like LA has better players and cheaper players playing in the right positions making less?

Hendricks is NOT worth 1.85 million, not by a country mile.

Avatar
#55 nuge2nail
May 18 2014, 02:40AM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Cheers
27
cheers
Walter Sobchak wrote:

Matt Hendricks is 32 years old making 1.85 million for 3 more years and had 7 points last year………..That’s not 3rd line points and certainly not worth the money he’s getting paid, That has overpay and 4th line written all over it!

Here are the Kings 4th line players during the regular season.

Lewis – 11 points – 1.5 mill - x 2 more years is 27 yrs old

Clifford - 8 points - 1.1 mill - x1 more year with RFA status is 23 yrs old

Nolan - 10 points – 700 K - RFA next season is 24 yrs old

http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/lines/26/los-angeles-kings

This is L.A’s set up during the SC playoffs.

Some actually think Hendricks is an acceptable 3rd line player at 1.85 million, how do you think the Oilers get better if they are over paying talent for the 4th line when a Stanley Cup contender like LA has better players and cheaper players playing in the right positions making less?

Hendricks is NOT worth 1.85 million, not by a country mile.

Oiler Domination To Follow

Our team needs a few more Hendricks.

What he brings to the team can't be measured by points.

He's a warrior, defends his teammates and makes other teams more accountable.

Who cares about the 1.85- you really think the Oilers are going to spend to cap this year?

If so who will they spend the 28+ mil in cap space on?

Would it matter if it was 28.75 instead of 28 million- seriously man who cares?

Your wasting your energy discussing Hendricks salary.

Avatar
#56 madjam
May 18 2014, 06:19AM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers

Let us get rid of Gagner just like Horc, Hemsky and Smid . Can you see the accelerated pattern here that got us into such a mess over last 8 years ? Getting rid of NHL players prematurely for basically nothing is still rampant here , and escalated under our new GM . Holes almost never filled with equals or upgrades . Basically same people only minus Tams now . It is a never ending story .

Avatar
#57 michael
May 18 2014, 06:26AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

MH and LG give us more in team toughness and truculence and grit.You really can't value that in monetary terms.

Crosby got raped by opposing teams this playoffs because of the Pens lack of a guy who was willing to stepup and crack some skulls.

How often did we complain this season about Hall,RNH and Ebs getting killed? remember the Yak Gazdic moment in the penalty box.You forget that before MH and Gazdic arrived that we were getting our clock cleaned regularly. we also added Fraser to level the field.

We need to lookat a guy like Steve Downie this off season. Pinizotto was capable and willing too.Your bottom 6 need not be goons but there has to be a level of nastiness that offsets the top 6's skill.

Avatar
#58 Ricky's Jalapeno Chips
May 18 2014, 08:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

nuge2nail # 55 and michael # 57, I agreed with you completely. In addition to the fact that "MH and LG give us more team toughness and truculence and grit" they are both good team guys. From what I can tell, they are good in the room and are well-liked but their teammates. There must be some good centres out there who can be signed or traded for to fill the roles we need even if they don't solve all of the problems, they can improve the situation and strengthen the team.

Avatar
#59 Quicksilver ballet
May 18 2014, 08:51AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

What's the deal with Woodpeckers...

Haven't they ever heard of post concussion syndrome.

Avatar
#60 Serious Gord
May 18 2014, 09:11AM
Trash it!
16
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

There should be a chant from oil fans at the draft when it comes to the oils turn at the podium:

"TRADE THE PICK!!"

Avatar
#61 Serious Gord
May 18 2014, 09:12AM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

@Serious Gord

Look at that!!

My post went through.

I have been barred from posting since the end of the season for no reason.

Avatar
#62 RexHolez
May 18 2014, 09:14AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers

@Serious Gord

I guess rexall security must be oilernation moderators now

Avatar
#63 Serious Gord
May 18 2014, 09:17AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
nuge2nail wrote:

Oiler Domination To Follow

Our team needs a few more Hendricks.

What he brings to the team can't be measured by points.

He's a warrior, defends his teammates and makes other teams more accountable.

Who cares about the 1.85- you really think the Oilers are going to spend to cap this year?

If so who will they spend the 28+ mil in cap space on?

Would it matter if it was 28.75 instead of 28 million- seriously man who cares?

Your wasting your energy discussing Hendricks salary.

No doubt we need Hendricks-type players, but not for that kind of money and especially not for that kind of term. Sure the oil might not be near that cap this year, but what about the next years?

What this team really lacks is good pro-scouting. That is THE most under-reported failing of this team. Low-cost 3/4 line role players are out there - just look at the four teams still in the playoffs. Low cost 3/4 line players free up space to get top-flite 1/2 line players.

That said, the oil ownership and management and their reputation makes the oil a no go destination for the majority of those top-flite players.

Avatar
#64 S cottV
May 18 2014, 09:18AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

Totally agree that RNH should be developing in 2c and Gordon should be a very capable 4c, but lack of depth forces them to be slotted a peg too high.

A big problem is that there is no one to play with Yak in top 6. RNH can't carry Yak. Gagner or a rookie 2c certainly can't carry him either.

So - if MacT can't find a Yak solution, it is gonna be painful to watch him flounder for another season.

Avatar
#65 Serious Gord
May 18 2014, 09:20AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
RexHolez wrote:

I guess rexall security must be oilernation moderators now

One does wonder...

Avatar
#66 Walter Sobchak
May 18 2014, 09:24AM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
nuge2nail wrote:

Oiler Domination To Follow

Our team needs a few more Hendricks.

What he brings to the team can't be measured by points.

He's a warrior, defends his teammates and makes other teams more accountable.

Who cares about the 1.85- you really think the Oilers are going to spend to cap this year?

If so who will they spend the 28+ mil in cap space on?

Would it matter if it was 28.75 instead of 28 million- seriously man who cares?

Your wasting your energy discussing Hendricks salary.

No they don't.

A warrior? Good grief.

The Oilers need a number 1 defensemen.

The Oilers COULD use a number 2 defensemen

The Oilers need a whole 3rd line.

The Oilers need a 2nd line center.

Your talking perpetual rebuild with adding overaged over priced talent.

28 million takes no time to get to.

The Oilers have massive holes filling them with middling over priced players is a disaster waiting.

Not to mention you have two big RFA's coming up.

When exactly do you want the Oilers to stop sucking?

Avatar
#67 Serious Gord
May 18 2014, 09:28AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Walter Sobchak wrote:

No they don't.

A warrior? Good grief.

The Oilers need a number 1 defensemen.

The Oilers COULD use a number 2 defensemen

The Oilers need a whole 3rd line.

The Oilers need a 2nd line center.

Your talking perpetual rebuild with adding overaged over priced talent.

28 million takes no time to get to.

The Oilers have massive holes filling them with middling over priced players is a disaster waiting.

Not to mention you have two big RFA's coming up.

When exactly do you want the Oilers to stop sucking?

A couple of weeks ago Scotty Bowman was on a radio show - I fail to remember which - saying that the 3/4 lines should not have an average per player salary much more than 1 million. What is the oil's average?

Avatar
#68 Oiler Al
May 18 2014, 09:32AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
Walter Sobchak wrote:

Matt Hendricks is 32 years old making 1.85 million for 3 more years and had 7 points last year………..That’s not 3rd line points and certainly not worth the money he’s getting paid, That has overpay and 4th line written all over it!

Here are the Kings 4th line players during the regular season.

Lewis – 11 points – 1.5 mill - x 2 more years is 27 yrs old

Clifford - 8 points - 1.1 mill - x1 more year with RFA status is 23 yrs old

Nolan - 10 points – 700 K - RFA next season is 24 yrs old

http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/lines/26/los-angeles-kings

This is L.A’s set up during the SC playoffs.

Some actually think Hendricks is an acceptable 3rd line player at 1.85 million, how do you think the Oilers get better if they are over paying talent for the 4th line when a Stanley Cup contender like LA has better players and cheaper players playing in the right positions making less?

Hendricks is NOT worth 1.85 million, not by a country mile.

The surf pounding is bit better at Venice Beach than the Ft.Saskatchewan River.

Edmonton will always pay more to attract players.

I know this was a trade, but Hendricks is what this club needs, better to over pay him by half a million $$$$, than a slug like Penner, overpaid by $3 million.

Avatar
#69 Ed in Edmonton
May 18 2014, 09:32AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
S cottV wrote:

Totally agree that RNH should be developing in 2c and Gordon should be a very capable 4c, but lack of depth forces them to be slotted a peg too high.

A big problem is that there is no one to play with Yak in top 6. RNH can't carry Yak. Gagner or a rookie 2c certainly can't carry him either.

So - if MacT can't find a Yak solution, it is gonna be painful to watch him flounder for another season.

Why should anyone need to be "carried". If a player needs to be "carried' he shouldn't ne on the team. Unfortunately the Oil have a number of players who need to be "carried'.

Avatar
#70 Ed in Edmonton
May 18 2014, 09:35AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

A couple of weeks ago Scotty Bowman was on a radio show - I fail to remember which - saying that the 3/4 lines should not have an average per player salary much more than 1 million. What is the oil's average?

Why not look it up on cap geek?

I would have hoped you would have come armed with some facts to back up your point.

Avatar
#71 Quicksilver ballet
May 18 2014, 09:37AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

A couple of weeks ago Scotty Bowman was on a radio show - I fail to remember which - saying that the 3/4 lines should not have an average per player salary much more than 1 million. What is the oil's average?

While I do agree with what you've mentioned. Sometimes it's hard to follow any structure when 3 out of every 4 players say, "Thanks, but no thanks" to the idea of working in this market.

There's certainly some beggars can't be choosers karma going on here. Try to become competitive first, then whittle away at these monetary areas of concern.

Avatar
#72 OilDieHard
May 18 2014, 09:41AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

There should be a chant from oil fans at the draft when it comes to the oils turn at the podium:

"TRADE THE PICK!!"

i hate to mention this but maybe this is the year the Oilers SHOULDN'T trade their pick, with a right handed d-man and 3 centers available to fill major holes on this team. yes they are young, but all have been mentioned at various times this season as being NHL ready.

Avatar
#73 Serious Gord
May 18 2014, 09:44AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
OilDieHard wrote:

i hate to mention this but maybe this is the year the Oilers SHOULDN'T trade their pick, with a right handed d-man and 3 centers available to fill major holes on this team. yes they are young, but all have been mentioned at various times this season as being NHL ready.

By the time that pick is ready to really contribute the stars will be into RFA and want more than the oil can afford. The team needs ready-to-play talent before the window closes.

Avatar
#74 Serious Gord
May 18 2014, 09:48AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ed in Edmonton wrote:

Why not look it up on cap geek?

I would have hoped you would have come armed with some facts to back up your point.

I was hoping someone would know off the top as I don't have access to paper and pencil or a laptop.

So using my iPhone - the oil have seven mill tied up with only five players. That means 1.4 mill per player and we still need to sign another third liner.

That's way over the line drawn by bowman.

Avatar
#75 Oilers John
May 18 2014, 09:52AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

IMHO. I think the money paid for MH is money well spent. It is money paid for passion,accountability and commitment to team. It is money spent on teaching some prima donnas that you play each shift like it is your last,that the first period is just as important as the third. It is money spent to fear the young players into competing for crest on the front not the name on the back. Scoring points are nothing,teams points are why you play the game.

Avatar
#76 Serious Gord
May 18 2014, 09:54AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

While I do agree with what you've mentioned. Sometimes it's hard to follow any structure when 3 out of every 4 players say, "Thanks, but no thanks" to the idea of working in this market.

There's certainly some beggars can't be choosers karma going on here. Try to become competitive first, then whittle away at these monetary areas of concern.

And this is the catch-22* that the oil are in - a disgraceful franchise failing at almost every aspect of the business both on and off the ice with the most nepotistic ownership in North American pro sports - can't attract the kind of talent both on and of the ice to resurrect the team.

Thus the folly of discussing/debating on-ice issues without changes to oiler management...

But it's raining outside, what the hell else is there to do...

* - excellent movie need to remember to watch it again soon...

Avatar
#77 FastOil
May 18 2014, 09:55AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Everyone seems to forget Gordon's usage. He's a third line pivot. Nobody is going to score much being used like that on a team like the Oilers.

If they get a second line centre that can actually play and better wingers for the third line, Gordon can be given a more normal work load and the third line points will come.

Avatar
#78 Ed in Edmonton
May 18 2014, 09:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

I was hoping someone would know off the top as I don't have access to paper and pencil or a laptop.

So using my iPhone - the oil have seven mill tied up with only five players. That means 1.4 mill per player and we still need to sign another third liner.

That's way over the line drawn by bowman.

I guess it depends on how one interprets "not much more than". Does that mean 1.1M, 1.2M???

Avatar
#79 Serious Gord
May 18 2014, 10:07AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ed in Edmonton wrote:

I guess it depends on how one interprets "not much more than". Does that mean 1.1M, 1.2M???

By my math 1.4 mill is 40% higher than bowmans recommended number. More significantly - take a look at what that over-spend is getting the oil: lander, joenssu, Gordon, Hendricks and arcebello - hardly top flite stuff compared to what contending teams have for similar or less money.

Avatar
#80 nuge2nail
May 18 2014, 10:07AM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

No doubt we need Hendricks-type players, but not for that kind of money and especially not for that kind of term. Sure the oil might not be near that cap this year, but what about the next years?

What this team really lacks is good pro-scouting. That is THE most under-reported failing of this team. Low-cost 3/4 line role players are out there - just look at the four teams still in the playoffs. Low cost 3/4 line players free up space to get top-flite 1/2 line players.

That said, the oil ownership and management and their reputation makes the oil a no go destination for the majority of those top-flite players.

Oiler Domination To Follow

What about next year when the cap goes up ? You think we will be spending to cap?

Unless we sign Statsny, Niskanen, Downie and Ott this offseason we will be no where near the cap ceiling.

This year or next. Again talking about Hendricks cap hit, is absolutely pointless.

We cleared Hemsky, Horcoff, Dubnyk, Smid, N Shultz, Belovs cap space and we have no one to replace those players with.

Hence, Hendricks cap hit is the least of our concerns- now or in the future.

Now if Hendricks played like a soft European we would have something to discuss or if his cap hit of 1.85 prevented us from landing Statsny- which will not be the case.

Avatar
#81 Ed in Edmonton
May 18 2014, 10:12AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

By my math 1.4 mill is 40% higher than bowmans recommended number. More significantly - take a look at what that over-spend is getting the oil: lander, joenssu, Gordon, Hendricks and arcebello - hardly top flite stuff compared to what contending teams have for similar or less money.

Mt point is that if "not more than" means $1.2M, then the overpay is about 15%. No doubt extra money spent on the bottom 6 is not ideal, but I would suggest that this issue doesn't make the top 5 (or maybe even top 10) list of things wrong with the Oil.

Avatar
#82 Serious Gord
May 18 2014, 10:12AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
FastOil wrote:

Everyone seems to forget Gordon's usage. He's a third line pivot. Nobody is going to score much being used like that on a team like the Oilers.

If they get a second line centre that can actually play and better wingers for the third line, Gordon can be given a more normal work load and the third line points will come.

Re: Gordon

Something I haven't seen brought up is the impact of the new face off rules will have on his effectiveness at the dot.

His fall-to-the-knees-and-sweep-the-puck-away style may not work if he gets pushed back to the first fault toe-line - he will be too far away from the dot to win the draw using that style. We won't know if that will be the result until we see it, but if it does and thus Gordon becomes a liability rather than an asset at faceoffs he becomes a huge overpay especially if his decline over the course of last season continues on in this season...

Avatar
#83 Ed in Edmonton
May 18 2014, 10:17AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
nuge2nail wrote:

Oiler Domination To Follow

What about next year when the cap goes up ? You think we will be spending to cap?

Unless we sign Statsny, Niskanen, Downie and Ott this offseason we will be no where near the cap ceiling.

This year or next. Again talking about Hendricks cap hit, is absolutely pointless.

We cleared Hemsky, Horcoff, Dubnyk, Smid, N Shultz, Belovs cap space and we have no one to replace those players with.

Hence, Hendricks cap hit is the least of our concerns- now or in the future.

Now if Hendricks played like a soft European we would have something to discuss or if his cap hit of 1.85 prevented us from landing Statsny- which will not be the case.

Agree that for the next couple of years the Oil appear to have some cap space and they if they could leverage this to either: trade for a need whilst taking someone else's cap issue or sign a big fish, would help a lot. Even if the player is only here to 2 or 3 years. This is one of the reasons the Oil should seriously consider trading the No.3 pick if they can find the right deal.

Avatar
#84 Serious Gord
May 18 2014, 10:17AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
nuge2nail wrote:

Oiler Domination To Follow

What about next year when the cap goes up ? You think we will be spending to cap?

Unless we sign Statsny, Niskanen, Downie and Ott this offseason we will be no where near the cap ceiling.

This year or next. Again talking about Hendricks cap hit, is absolutely pointless.

We cleared Hemsky, Horcoff, Dubnyk, Smid, N Shultz, Belovs cap space and we have no one to replace those players with.

Hence, Hendricks cap hit is the least of our concerns- now or in the future.

Now if Hendricks played like a soft European we would have something to discuss or if his cap hit of 1.85 prevented us from landing Statsny- which will not be the case.

First Hendricks cap hit isn't in and of itself a huge concern, rather it is the habit of this team to overpay/under scout for this type of player.

As for the cap going up - it goes up for all teams thus it will end up being eaten by salary inflation - it is nowhere near the panacea that many make it out to be.

The real short to mid-term beneficiaries will be those teams that are near the cap now and have lots of good players tied up to long term contracts. Edmonton is not in that group.

Avatar
#85 Serious Gord
May 18 2014, 10:22AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Ed in Edmonton wrote:

Agree that for the next couple of years the Oil appear to have some cap space and they if they could leverage this to either: trade for a need whilst taking someone else's cap issue or sign a big fish, would help a lot. Even if the player is only here to 2 or 3 years. This is one of the reasons the Oil should seriously consider trading the No.3 pick if they can find the right deal.

Bingo. It is absolutely critical that the oil get a 1/2 D and C using salary and high draft picks via trades - free agents aren't coming to at for this management team.

And how confident can one be in MacT wanting to or being able to pull that off? All the talk about being bold and he has yet to make a trade or aquire another team's 1/2 line player.

Avatar
#86 OilDieHard
May 18 2014, 10:27AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

By the time that pick is ready to really contribute the stars will be into RFA and want more than the oil can afford. The team needs ready-to-play talent before the window closes.

baloney! Reinhart, Draisaitl and Ekblad i have heard many times they could be NHL ready. if we drafted say Reinhart and he contributed what Monahan did in Calgary this year right out of the draft, there's no waiting is there? and you don't send a player back if he's ready to contribute now, only if he's not, and these 3 appear to be ready.

Avatar
#87 They're $hittie
May 18 2014, 10:31AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
nuge2nail wrote:

Oiler Domination To Follow

What about next year when the cap goes up ? You think we will be spending to cap?

Unless we sign Statsny, Niskanen, Downie and Ott this offseason we will be no where near the cap ceiling.

This year or next. Again talking about Hendricks cap hit, is absolutely pointless.

We cleared Hemsky, Horcoff, Dubnyk, Smid, N Shultz, Belovs cap space and we have no one to replace those players with.

Hence, Hendricks cap hit is the least of our concerns- now or in the future.

Now if Hendricks played like a soft European we would have something to discuss or if his cap hit of 1.85 prevented us from landing Statsny- which will not be the case.

It is never a bad thing to discuss good contract management in a capped league.

If all the oilers were paid on what they should than we could afford to overpay a little when we are a competitive team. When that finally happens we will not have cap space.

Eberle should be 5.4 not 6

Gagner should have been signed the year before for four years at 3.9 or 4.1

fair value for Gordon is about 2.4

ference should be around 2.5

look at how much we would save and think of the trade value these players would have if we didnt overpay them

it is never bad to talk about properly managing your assets.

p.s. get rid of that stupid oilers domination to follow crap. no one takes you serious because of it.

Avatar
#88 Serious Gord
May 18 2014, 10:40AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
OilDieHard wrote:

baloney! Reinhart, Draisaitl and Ekblad i have heard many times they could be NHL ready. if we drafted say Reinhart and he contributed what Monahan did in Calgary this year right out of the draft, there's no waiting is there? and you don't send a player back if he's ready to contribute now, only if he's not, and these 3 appear to be ready.

Go look at how perennially successful teams handle their budding stars and get back to me.

NHL-ready does not necessarily mean that's what you want to do nor that it is the best interests of the player long-term (gagner is a poster boy for that).

This team needs PROVEN NHL 1/2 Line players - not prospects.

Avatar
#89 Serious Gord
May 18 2014, 10:41AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
They're $hittie wrote:

It is never a bad thing to discuss good contract management in a capped league.

If all the oilers were paid on what they should than we could afford to overpay a little when we are a competitive team. When that finally happens we will not have cap space.

Eberle should be 5.4 not 6

Gagner should have been signed the year before for four years at 3.9 or 4.1

fair value for Gordon is about 2.4

ference should be around 2.5

look at how much we would save and think of the trade value these players would have if we didnt overpay them

it is never bad to talk about properly managing your assets.

p.s. get rid of that stupid oilers domination to follow crap. no one takes you serious because of it.

Had MacT been a better cap manager and used his buyout on hemsky, smid wouldn't have been traded mid-season.

Avatar
#90 Rama Lama
May 18 2014, 10:44AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

The answer is starring us right in the face on a second line center...........let's see Arcebello played light-out last year, was our most productive hitter, and was defensively sound. He get's rewarded by being sent to the minors, where guess what, he excels.

Yes he may be small ( look at the Habs) but he plays big and is very effective........if our uber intelligent coach has any sense, he will play him. I have no doubt this guy can play........I have many doubts about our coaching!

Avatar
#91 RexHolez
May 18 2014, 10:44AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
OilDieHard wrote:

baloney! Reinhart, Draisaitl and Ekblad i have heard many times they could be NHL ready. if we drafted say Reinhart and he contributed what Monahan did in Calgary this year right out of the draft, there's no waiting is there? and you don't send a player back if he's ready to contribute now, only if he's not, and these 3 appear to be ready.

Some high draft picks can play in the NHL in a support role and add value to a team during their entry level deals. However it's a diffrent animal when your team is made up almost completely of kids and you're relying on another kid to come play a major role on an already terrible team. That's how you destroy confidence and stay a bottom feeder

Avatar
#92 Walter White
May 18 2014, 10:52AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

All this talk about tanking for the 2015 draft to get the great McDavid.........

Let's trade your 2015 first round pick to the Flames for our first round pick in 2015!!!!

Before the season even starts.

You would actually create a desire to win in Edmonton for the first time in 8 years!

Scared??.

WW

Avatar
#93 a lg dubl dubl
May 18 2014, 10:54AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Rama Lama wrote:

The answer is starring us right in the face on a second line center...........let's see Arcebello played light-out last year, was our most productive hitter, and was defensively sound. He get's rewarded by being sent to the minors, where guess what, he excels.

Yes he may be small ( look at the Habs) but he plays big and is very effective........if our uber intelligent coach has any sense, he will play him. I have no doubt this guy can play........I have many doubts about our coaching!

but Arco is not a 2c, I would use him on the 3rd line no problem though.

MacT should be on the horn to see what itll take to get Stastny from Colorado before he hits the market.

Avatar
#94 Juan
May 18 2014, 11:32AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

If Hendricks and Gordon are on your teams 3rd line with a healthy line up, your teams GM is an idiot.

Avatar
#95 Tom MacFarlane
May 18 2014, 11:58AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
michael wrote:

MH and LG give us more in team toughness and truculence and grit.You really can't value that in monetary terms.

Crosby got raped by opposing teams this playoffs because of the Pens lack of a guy who was willing to stepup and crack some skulls.

How often did we complain this season about Hall,RNH and Ebs getting killed? remember the Yak Gazdic moment in the penalty box.You forget that before MH and Gazdic arrived that we were getting our clock cleaned regularly. we also added Fraser to level the field.

We need to lookat a guy like Steve Downie this off season. Pinizotto was capable and willing too.Your bottom 6 need not be goons but there has to be a level of nastiness that offsets the top 6's skill.

Do you really think that some guys tracking Crosby on the ice is the same as what a person feels like when they have been sexually assaulted? Do you really think your language is appropriate? Do the owners of this site really believe it is ok to post this comment?

Avatar
#96 admiralmark
May 18 2014, 12:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

I was hoping someone would know off the top as I don't have access to paper and pencil or a laptop.

So using my iPhone - the oil have seven mill tied up with only five players. That means 1.4 mill per player and we still need to sign another third liner.

That's way over the line drawn by bowman.

3rd and 4th Line Players as they are currently lined up in the playoffs:

LA KINGS = 2.89 Million/ Player on average. They however have a cheaper 2nd line(1.33 mill/avg per player).

Chicago Blackhawks =1.79 Million/ Player on average.

NYR = 1.61 Million / Player on average.

Montreal = 2.85 Million/ Player on average.

Hate to burst your bubble but teams don't always stick to what you might think is a 3rd/4th line players. None of the remaining 4 teams in the playoffs come close to 1 mill on average. Either Scotty is getting old or this is an unrealistic # to go by.

Avatar
#97 Sketchy
May 18 2014, 12:07PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

@Tom MacFarlane

Welcome to the Internet. First day here?? You're a little sensitive arnt ya

Avatar
#98 Rama Lama
May 18 2014, 12:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
a lg dubl dubl wrote:

but Arco is not a 2c, I would use him on the 3rd line no problem though.

MacT should be on the horn to see what itll take to get Stastny from Colorado before he hits the market.

His point production would state otherwise..........you don't take an offensive player deploy him on defensive line, and then expect him to succeed. This is what the Oilers have been doing since Eakins arrived.

Expecting a player to succeed playing out of position and role is sheer madness!

Avatar
#99 Tom MacFarlane
May 18 2014, 12:14PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Sketchy wrote:

Welcome to the Internet. First day here?? You're a little sensitive arnt ya

Know anybody who's been through that horrific experience? Use your brain, it is completely insensitive to thousands of women, children, and even boys who have been through it. Idiot

Avatar
#100 admiralmark
May 18 2014, 12:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
They're $hittie wrote:

It is never a bad thing to discuss good contract management in a capped league.

If all the oilers were paid on what they should than we could afford to overpay a little when we are a competitive team. When that finally happens we will not have cap space.

Eberle should be 5.4 not 6

Gagner should have been signed the year before for four years at 3.9 or 4.1

fair value for Gordon is about 2.4

ference should be around 2.5

look at how much we would save and think of the trade value these players would have if we didnt overpay them

it is never bad to talk about properly managing your assets.

p.s. get rid of that stupid oilers domination to follow crap. no one takes you serious because of it.

Agree wholeheartedly with everything you are saying here. But the current situation in Edmonton as it stands is that there is going to have to be a few overpays here n there to get players to come. While I agree Gagner was an error as he could of been had in a value contract or gotten value in a trade.

But Ference and Gordon were going to get that pay cheques somewhere. Once the team turns the corner then attracting the free agents will become cheaper most certainly. So it's important that they very carefully and sparingly choose when and where to do this in the short term. But I think we have to accept when a specific player comes along that a slight overpay is going to be necessary sometimes.

Comments are closed for this article.