Monday Mailbag - May 19th

baggedmilk
May 19 2014 03:49PM

The-long-weekend

It's time for the long weekend version of Monday Mailbag.  I just got back from the lake, and frankly I stink to high heavens -- but I'm committed to putting something up.  Some of the guys were away this weekend, so the answers were limited, but we'll get back on track for next week.  As always, if you've got a question you want asked, email it to me at baggedmilk@oilersnation.com or hit me up on Twitter - @jsbmbaggedmilk.

I hope everyone had a solid long weekend. Enjoy.

Screen Shot 2014-05-19 at 3.42.41 PM

1) @lukekaun asks - The possibility of trading away the 3rd overall pick has been raised a lot since the end of the season. What I haven’t heard a lot about is what that pick might actually be worth.  I know this isn’t easy to quantify, but if you were to trade that 3rd pick, what player would that actually equate to?

Lowetide

Hmmm. Great question, wish I could read the answers before chiming in. I would trade this selection for Valeri Nichushkin in Dallas. That kind of deal, for a crazy talent who is also very young, is the only trade I make for this pick. Hope that helps!

Jonathan Willis

Like you said, it isn't easy to quantify. I'd guess somebody in the top-six forward, top-four defenceman range on a solid contract, someone like Brandon Dubinsky or Christian Ehrhoff. But it really depends on the trading partner - the pick is worth a little more to a team rebuilding or a team in a bad contract situation and much less to a team with cap space and a desire to win now.

Brian Sutherby

It would have to be a borderline superstar already for me to move the pick. Or several VERY good players to plug multiple holes if the goal is to turn this team around tomorrow. Otherwise, I hang onto it. As for an actual player...I don't know

baggedmilk

It's going to be interesting to see what they do with this thing. I assume they're going to pick, but will they rush the kid into a prime spot before he's ready? Likely.

Screen Shot 2014-05-19 at 3.44.00 PM

2) @rascalgas asks - Is there ANY possible way that this current Oilers squad makes the playoffs next year with only minor personnel tweaks?

Lowetide

No. They're too far away, and really have no one in their prime. Too young or too old, but little age 26-31 of note.

Jonathan Willis

Sure, it's possible. Colorado did it this year when their lousy 0.903 save percentage starter turned into a 0.927 save percentage Vezina candidate and their shooting percentage spiked by 25% (they were 27th in the NHL in that category in 2012-13, 2nd in 2013-14). But it's terribly, terribly unlikely and Craig MacTavish almost certainly won't give us a chance to find out.

Brian Sutherby

No. They will be better because in net they are better, but they are several significant personnel changes away.

baggedmilk

The goaltending is way better going into this year than it was last year, but unless they improve the defence I can't see things going much differently.

fullcourtpress

3) 1979 asks - If you were Mac-T, which free-agent this season would you be doing the full court press on, and if he didn't work out who is your back-up splash?

Lowetide

Assuming you are talking UFA's, I would target Paul Stastny, Andrei Markov, Ales Hemsky (seriously), Stephane Robidas, Mikhail Grabovski, Nikolai Kulemin, Lee Stempniak, David Moss. And I'd take a flier on Joni Pitkanen, too.

Jonathan Willis

Andrei Markov and Nikolai Kulemin. Failing that, Nikita Nikitin and David Moss. Of course, that's assuming Sam Gagner moves for a centre.

Brian Sutherby

Not a ton out there in my opinion and you always have to overpay.  It's easy to say Vanek, Bolland, or Callahan but the likelihood of that isn't very good. They will ask for too much. I think Stasny stays in Colorado.

Two veteran guys I would target that might be more realistic options: David Legwand and Steve Ott.  Your guess is as good as mine for what kind of dollars they want. Although, what older player really wants to sign here at this point? Older players want to win.

Unless something changes like a massive trade that creates some excitement around this team at the draft, I think they will end up like last year with a couple middle to lower tier guys, happy to make a few extra bucks.

baggedmilk

I'd like to see them improve the centre position by going after a guy like Statsny, but unless we've got some kind of nudes to hang over his head, I doubt he'd want to sign here.

SamGagner

4) Jonny Fever asks - In the last year there has been a lot said about trading Sam Gagner. There has also been a lot of comments about the lack of pressure on the top 6, for example no pressure from the 3rd line to push the top 6. Is there enough money in the 2014/2015 salary cap to keep Gagner and move him to the wing to push top 6 and still sign a top 6 center such as Gabrovski?

Lowetide

The problem with Gagner is that his skill set is duplicated on RW by Eberle, who is a better actual player. I think the only way to keep Gagner would be to keep him at center and bring in two veteran wingers like Kulemin and Moss. The Oilers can't afford to do that, and bring in C's and D's, while staying under the cap.

Jonathan Willis

There is room - and a good thing too, since the Oilers are going to be either retaining salary or taking a contract back in any Gagner deal.

Brian Sutherby

I'm going to leave the salary cap part to the guys that know more about where the Oilers are at, but Grabovski is someone who could be more likely to sign here. His type of player wouldn't be what I'd be looking to add, but maybe that's just me.

baggedmilk

Unless Gagner can learn to skate on stilts, or has an offseason growth spurt, I don't think he fits on the team anymore.  Unfortunately, they'll be trading him coming off a down year which means the other team will likely win the trade.

Karaoke

5) Brian Chamberlain asks -  If the Oilers were a rock song which song would they be?

Lowetide

Dazed and Confused, Zep.

Jonathan Willis

Brian Sutherby

November Rain - Guns N Roses

baggedmilk

How Many More Times - Zeppelin

94ea28cbbd0f9fe4153692bb3e38b40c
Twitter tyrant for @OilersNation - Resident Jackass - Poor vessel for carrying milk. Follow me on twitter (@jsbmbaggedmilk) - Instagram (@himynameisbaggedmilk) or email me at baggedmilk@oilersnation.com.
#1 David S
May 19 2014, 03:56PM

I'm starting to like Bag's bag.

Crap. I mean mailbag. MAILBAG.

#2 Jason
May 19 2014, 04:01PM

What song are the Oilers? How about FMD by the Forgotten Rebels?

#3 Taylor Gang
May 19 2014, 04:19PM

Nine Inch Nails - Hurt

#4 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
May 19 2014, 04:28PM

5th Dimension - Spinning Wheels

#5 SmackAttack
May 19 2014, 04:33PM

Posted this in the other thread but Suds, Willis, LT, milkbag, what do you think of a Neal and Eberle deal (other pieces involved but not a first round pick)

Elliotte Friedman of CBC: It wouldn’t be a surprise if the Penguins tested James Neal’s trade value. Kris Letang’s health scare may keep teams away.

That's from mynhltraderumors.com

Hall Nuge Perron

Neal Draisaitl Yakupov

Hall - 6'1 201 lbs

Nuge 6'1 180lbs

Perron 6' 198 lbs

Yakupov 5'11 186lbs

Neal 6'2 208lbs

Draisaitl 6'2 209lbs

That's from the Oilers official webpage too.

I wager that Yakupov adds a few more pounds as well. Once he's matured he likely plays at 190-193lbs. I still think we see Hall at 205 to 210 in his prime since he has a big frame.

That's not too bad in the size department. If Draisaitl is not ready to go, I guess keep gagner or acquire grabovski or slot in Arco.

#6 Lofty
May 19 2014, 04:34PM

The goaltending appears to be more solid. It would be tough to be worse than the start of last year. In recent Oiler fashion, they may take that as a challenge.

I like Scrivens for his goaltending and his attitude, which the Oil need more of.

#7 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
May 19 2014, 04:38PM

99 Problems - Jay Z...

Wait, he said rock song. All Revved Up With No Place To Go - Meat Loaf

#8 ubermiguel
May 19 2014, 04:40PM

It's a Long Way to the Top - AC/DC

"Gettin' robbed, Gettin' stoned Gettin' beat up, Broken boned Gettin' had, Gettin' took I tell you folks, It's harder than it looks

It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock 'n' roll"

#9 madjam
May 19 2014, 05:18PM

" We got a long way to go , and a short time to get there " by Reid I believe . Now that's a big 10-4 buddies .

#10 oilcountryforlife
May 19 2014, 05:31PM

Hurt by Johnny Cash

#11 Brad
May 19 2014, 05:41PM

All Hell for a Basement - Big Sugar

"Ya I've lost my way...but I hear tell..."

#12 IBleedOilBlu
May 19 2014, 05:56PM

@Brad

I can't resist:

Theme song for the Oilers:

Free Fallin' Tom Petty

all the way to McDavid

#13 backup bob
May 19 2014, 06:05PM

Killing Me Softly...

Bad song, bad team.

#14 Nomad787
May 19 2014, 06:29PM

JW, your connecting Losing my Religion to the Oilers is perfect,, it also explains my relationship to the Oilers and to Oilersnation. I dont know why I do it, and I probably shouldn't bother, but I just can't help myself. Pure truth JW, if ever it was spoken on this site. Thank you.

#15 Oilcan
May 19 2014, 06:36PM

Drake remix "Started from the bottom and we're still here"

#16 ubermiguel
May 19 2014, 07:39PM

Put all of the songs mentioned together and it would make a playlist 100% better than the one currently used at the games.

#17 Sevenseven
May 19 2014, 09:49PM

The oilers swarm was totally the benny hill theme song.

#18 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
May 19 2014, 11:22PM

@Sevenseven

Haha awesome. Picturing the winger dropping his D man like a dirty shirt and rushing for the corner in fast forward.

I feel like the Oilers should enter the ice to the Benny Hill tune.

#19 Pete
May 20 2014, 01:21AM

Love the rock song question...gotta go with Cannibal Corpse - "Perverse Suffering" though...

#20 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
May 20 2014, 06:17AM

@Pete

Haaaaahahaha didn't think anyone would drop a Cannibal Corpse title. I was gonna put 'They Deserve To Die' by Cannibal Corpse but I wouldn't go that far...

#21 Czar
May 20 2014, 08:15AM

My Friend of Misery- Metallica

"These times are sent to try men's souls"

#22 loweblows
May 20 2014, 11:44AM

Mental wounds not healing, Who and whats to blame, Im going off the rails on the crazy train!

Ozzy Osbourne

#23 Oilbaron
May 20 2014, 12:06PM

Watching the Germany/USA game this morning it appears as though Draisaitl is ready to go in the NHL.

Reminds me of a little of Malkin but with slightly less skill, and slightly more effort. Basically not bad at all for an 18 year old.

It was also apparent when I watched that Jeff Petry is really not a good defensive defensemen

#24 vetinari
May 20 2014, 02:37PM

Oiler Songs? My suggestion is...

Judas Priest "Some Heads Are Gonna Roll"

"You can look to the left and look to the right But you will live in danger tonight

When the enemy comes he will never be heard He'll blow your mind and not say a word

Blinding lights- flashing colors- Sleepless nights

If the man with the power Can't keep it under control Some heads are gonna roll Some heads are gonna roll"

...

Reminds me of what it must be like for MacT to watch an Oiler game from above when we are getting lit up...

#25 Eulers
May 20 2014, 10:56PM

"R.E.M.'s Losing My Religion. It works on a lot of levels, but the basic idea of a total lack of answers in the face of frustrated obsession seems like a nice fit for the Oilers. Too, the combination of total irrelevance and all-consuming importance feels pretty much spot-on. That's them in the corner, that's them in the spotlight, losing their religion."

Poetry, Jonathan! You win the internet!