Join Me For McHappy Day!

Jen Scrivens
May 05 2014 10:17AM

Screen Shot 2014-05-05 at 8.52.23 AM

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for the overwhelming support and for welcoming me to OilersNation.com! The kind comments and words of encouragement did not go unnoticed. It is because of the response I received from the Soup Sisters post that I decided to come back and share more with you.

My New Landing Spot

I joined the Ronald McDonald House Northern Alberta communications team a few weeks ago, and I couldn’t be happier to have found such an incredible opportunity. My passion for volunteer work has turned into a career that I’m proud of and proud to share with you today. Of course, giving back to the city of Edmonton, now our home, is a reward on its own.

McHappy Day

Screen Shot 2014-05-05 at 8.54.29 AM

On Wednesday, May 7th, we’re raising money for children’s charities across Canada with McHappy Day. One dollar from every Happy Meal, Big Mac and any hot McCafe beverage will be donated to children’s charities, including Ronald McDonald Houses in Canada.

Do you stop for coffee on your way to work or have time to grab a bite during a lunch break? Consider swinging by your local McDonald’s restaurant. Chances are, you’ll meet an RMHNA employee or even a family staying at our House.

You're Invited

Screen Shot 2014-05-05 at 8.55.43 AM

If you do participate, feel free to let me know with a tweet. I’ll retweet any McHappy Day messages sent to me, especially those with photos.  My team and I will be visiting multiple locations throughout Edmonton, so check out my twitter feed to see if we’re coming to a restaurant near you!

Do you have a charity or non-profit organization that means a lot to you? I’d love to learn about it. And if you want to get involved with your Ronald McDonald House in Edmonton, I’ll show you how. Come by for a tour- I’d be honoured to show you around.

Actually, I’ll let my friend Kyler tell you why the Ronald McDonald House is such a special place. He gets bonus points for being an Oilers fan, right?

16619354481cd6eb0e64b38c6128ccc5
Communications Manager for Ronald McDonald House of Northern Alberta, @Cornell and @HumberCollege PR grad, lifelong student... Follow me on Twitter @JenScrivs
#1 baggedmilk
May 05 2014, 10:22AM

LONG LIVE THE FIRST LADY!

#2 J.R.
May 05 2014, 10:26AM

Congrats on the new job! Great to be doing meaningful work.

#3 SmythsMullet
May 05 2014, 10:27AM

Round of applause. Not only for First Lady but all the volunteers. I'll stop by for a coffee. *clap**clapclap**clap**clap**clapclap**clap**clapclap**clap**clap**clapclap

#4 mig14
May 05 2014, 10:35AM

My cousin's daughter spent the better part of a year at RMH in Edmonton. It truly is a safe haven for sick kids and their families. I know that my cousin and her husband are grateful for the level of support and care they all received while Paige was undergoing cancer treatment. When she passed away, 2 RMH staff members flew from Edmonton to Regina to attend her funeral, and I can't imagine there being a better organization to support.

#5 MacTastic
May 05 2014, 10:40AM

Hooray!! An Oilers spouse who has moved TO Edmonton FROM the illustrious "major American market," who wishes now to be a meaningful, contributing member of the Edmonton community! And doing charity work for children, no less!

May this mark the end of the curse of the defenseman who shall not be named. The ransom has been paid (I hope).

All jokes aside, well done Jenny. Thanks on behalf of Edmonton.

#6 1979
May 05 2014, 10:44AM

Many blessings in the new position!

#7 Consultant
May 05 2014, 10:52AM

You and your husband bring alot of positive energy to Edmonton. This is a very honourble use of your time. Thanks from this Oiler fan for making the organization and the City a better place.

#8 orangepylon
May 05 2014, 11:03AM

Who the heck would trash every comment on an article like this? Especially # 4? Jackass.

#9 pelhem grenville
May 05 2014, 11:05AM

..."Of course, giving back to the city of Edmonton, now our home, is a reward on its own..."

...this makes me very McHappy

#10 Harlie
May 05 2014, 11:06AM

Great post, great charity, great work Jenny and little Helper!

#11 pelhem grenville
May 05 2014, 11:07AM
orangepylon wrote:

...seconded

there is a way to find out who this is...he should be banned ...

#12 The Soup Fascist
May 05 2014, 11:08AM
orangepylon wrote:

Chris Pronger?

#13 BobbyCanuck
May 05 2014, 11:09AM

Whaaat? Jenny has ice hockey coaching experience, I hope she sent in an application to MacT

Oh wait, I forgot Oilers do not look at applications for coaching positions, never mind

#14 @kahmad92
May 05 2014, 11:09AM
pelhem grenville wrote:

...seconded

there is a way to find out who this is...he should be banned ...

...thirded

I was about to say the same thing. His/her IP should be tractable.

#15 Gerald R. Ford
May 05 2014, 11:14AM

It's nice to see players and their families treating Edmonton like their home, and not just a place where they're forced to live for the winter. I think you'll find, Mrs. 30, that whatever love you give to this community, you'll get back ten fold, and I think you're off to a swell start. Good luck in this very worthwhile endeavour, and I shall do my part, Big Mac-wise.

#16 pelhem grenville
May 05 2014, 11:15AM

...memo to OILERNATION EDITOR ...please make sure that these unforgiveable trashes are reset to read ZERO!!!

...no one needs to see that on this website!

#17 2004Z06
May 05 2014, 11:20AM

Great organization. We try to make it down there a few times a year to make breakfast and lunch for the families. It is a lot of fun and a great cause.

#18 ColourMeImpressed
May 05 2014, 11:27AM

Thanks for being awesome despite some arseholes digging up shlt on twitter.

Sorry about the weather, we hate it too, we just don't admit it.

#19 VK63
May 05 2014, 11:31AM

Fabulous!!

#20 mesa
May 05 2014, 11:33AM
The Soup Fascist wrote:

Chris Pronger?

or his wife

#21 RexHolez
May 05 2014, 11:37AM

Can we clone her and make more?

#22 Ambassador humantorch
May 05 2014, 11:49AM

Jen Scrivens is officially my favourite person connected in any way to the Oilers organisation.

(side note: I trashed my own comment so that hopefully the anonymous troll running around trashing everything skips mine. I feel safe admitting this because I'm pretty sure they can't read.)

#23 Fish
May 05 2014, 11:53AM

Fantastic lady. This type of work goes such a long way and often times goes so unnoticed. Kudos to her :D

Unrelated: But can we also start a volunteer organization that packs 4 lunches per day (per person), for each of Marincine, RNH, etc. etc. to help them put on a little weight?

#24 Eulers
May 05 2014, 11:53AM

You and your husband are class acts and the city of Edmonton is very lucky to have you. I tip my hat to the First Lady!

#25 Fish
May 05 2014, 11:56AM

How does someone trash anything about this article, or any comment relating to this article, this woman, or this work in a positive light?

Some people are just trashy sacks of trash i guess.

Not J. Scrivens though :D

#26 The Soup Fascist
May 05 2014, 12:03PM
mesa wrote:

or his wife

That WOULD account for the 2nd trashes on posts 1 thru 7 ......

#27 The Soup Fascist
May 05 2014, 12:07PM

Jen Scrivens = Gets it

Well done.

#28 Jayz
May 05 2014, 12:24PM

Great work Jen, now buzz off so we can get back to blogs about trashing the oilers and their management... Jk jk

#29 Dodd
May 05 2014, 12:29PM

No matter what happens to Mr. Scrivens - he will have bad games. His play may fall off. Whatever.

The respect and enthusiasm for the city and the organization from the Scrivens' sets an example of how we all should treat these talented, committed people no matter what the next couple seasons holds.

#30 D
May 05 2014, 12:31PM

Thank you Jen. You are first class all the way.

#31 RexHolez
May 05 2014, 12:39PM

Jen for POHO!!!

#32 druds
May 05 2014, 12:53PM

Wow...I love Kyler and I love Jen for letting me see that video...awesome!

#33 Wait until next year!!
May 05 2014, 01:07PM

How about a "hover over" listing screen names for trashes and props?

#34 Scrivy
May 05 2014, 01:17PM

Wow, the first lady is on HERE? What did we do right?

Very cool lady. The trade for Professor Scrivy was the biggest steal for Edmonton in a long time.

#35 bdiddy18
May 05 2014, 01:20PM

it took no time for Jen Scrivens to become one of the all time best Oiler hockey wives of all time. Well done Jen !! good luck and best wishes.

officially becoming one of the best trades in Oilers history too both on and off the ice.

#36 seanjohn
May 05 2014, 01:23PM

Mrs. Scrivens, you are very easy to like. Not at all like the Housewife of Beverly Hills that we have come to expect. You go Girl!!!

#37 Willy Cooke
May 05 2014, 01:24PM

Welcome to Edm, the both of you sound like class act. Great move Mac for bringing in. All class.

#38 Sean17
May 05 2014, 01:46PM

What I really need to know is at Cornell, which a capella group should I join? The Harmoniacs? Or the Doh-Ray-Mee-gos? Is Andy Bernard really the "Boner Champ" or is it Broccoli Rob?

Anyway, finally a wife that will encourage me to eat a Big Mac! Done and done.

#39 A-Mc
May 05 2014, 02:30PM

The awesomeness that has been brought to Edmonton this season is overwhelming.

Andrew Ference - A Saint incarnate
David Perron - A living example of Canadian passion for the best game you can name. Read: Canadian Identity.
"The Scrivenses" - An awesome young goaltender and his lovely wife who seems dead set on doing good in the world (And in our community).

I'm literally exhausted just thinking about all the things these people do for us. WELCOME!

PS: Who did Wanye have to drug and how many body parts did BM have to tear off, in order to trick Jenny into writing here?

PPS: ITS Confirmed ON! There is atleast 1 girl on the INTERNET!

#40 A-Mc
May 05 2014, 02:37PM
orangepylon wrote:

Ben Scrivens. I'm sure the conversation over dinner went like this:

Jenny: "soo.. you thought you were the big shot, but i'm pretty sure this city loves me more than you. Look at my ON posts for confirmation"

Ben: "What the!?! " *trashes every comment in every Jenny Scrivens ON post*

Jenny: *shakes head in disappointment*

#41 Oilbaron
May 05 2014, 11:43PM

Am I the only one who sees the irony in donating money made from selling food products that make people sick... to sick kids charities?

Last I checked, McHappy Meals, Big Macs and coffee weren't exactly the most recommended meals when it comes to nutrition and health.

I haven't looked much into the Ronald McDonald House but Ben seems super cynical and well aware, so I doubt he and his wife would support a charity that wasn't legit. However I hope for the day when a charity will just be charity... and not the result of a multinational corporation feigning a conscience to in effect limit the collateral damage caused by its operations.

#42 Mike Modano's Dog
May 06 2014, 12:31AM
Fish wrote:

Okay, THAT wis probably the funniest comment I can ever remember reading here!!! Totally out-loud lol...but at the same time, an idea whose time has come!! ;)

#43 Mike Modano's Dog
May 06 2014, 12:56AM
Dodd wrote:

I think what you said is really important! Thank you for saying exactly what I have been thinking ever since they came here! That goes for everyone who signs here as a free agent and commits to playing here. I think the players and their wives take a leap of faith in how they will be received by the community, especially when that is where they're from, and should be rewarded by the fans by having their backs, no matter what.

Management will always do what they feel is best regarding player decisions anyway - so everyone wins if we make the players and their families feel as welcome, loved, and supported by our hockey market, no matter what struggles we might be going through, as a team, or as a player at times will, individually.

#44 Mike Modano's Dog
May 06 2014, 01:18AM

Congratulations once again, Jen!

That is really something - to be able to do that very work that is so positive and that you love so much, and turn it into a career!

It used to be the hockey players I tried to emulate, as a younger man, but now I think I have a new hero... I think that gets the 'cutest video ever' award too. ;)

Thanks to all of you at Ronald McDonald House...from someone whose life was blessed from working with those kids before!! My life will always be better for it!

#45 oilcanz
May 06 2014, 02:52AM

You are a very impressive human being. Thank you very much for your enthusiastic compassion for our fair community; I find it refreshing. Your husband and you are wonderfull, keep up the good work.

#46 Dodd
May 06 2014, 09:28AM

@Mike Modano's Dog

It's unfortunate that fans mix their feelings about a player on ice with their feelings about them as people.

Edmonton lost a great community contributor in the Dubnyks, and the team lost a wonderful team mate. I was frustrated at Devan the goalie, but sad to see a classy couple go.

This goes for a lot of players we were relieved to see traded - quality people are quality people.

#47 Evilas
May 06 2014, 09:52AM

Thanks Jen for all that you and Ben have done to bring joy to Oilersnation, and the city of Edmonton. You have been a shining star during far too many dark days. As fans we are usually too focused on what goes on on the ice and forget about what in life is truly most important; humanity, community, family and friendship. These are the bonds that tie us together, thank you for helping to strengthen those bonds!

On a personal note, even though I do not eat fast food, RMH served myself and my family well when we travelled to Edmonton twice (and Toronto once), when I served in the CF while living in Calgary, for my

#48 Evilas
May 06 2014, 10:04AM

Sorry, don't know why whole comment didn't work

#49 vetinari
May 06 2014, 12:12PM

Alright... will pick up my morning cuppa Joe from McD's on Wednesday while on my way to work...

Thanks for the community involvement Scrivenses (what the heck is the proper plural to "Scrivens" anyway?)....

#50 Rusty Patenaude
May 06 2014, 05:03PM

I admire your energy and enthusiasm Jenny. Both you and Ben bring much needed positive energy to the team and the community.