Monday Mailbag - June 16th

baggedmilk
June 16 2014 02:01PM

TimeToLearn

I know how much you love learning, and the Monday Mailbag is your opportunity to do so. This segment is completely dependant on you guys so send your questions in. I'll send everyone that submits a question a sticker package from the Nation as a thank you. You can submit your question by emailing me at baggedmilk@oilersnation.com or by hitting me up on Twitter - @jsbmbaggedmilk.

Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 10.17.02 AM

1) @GippyGr3wal asks - All the talk this past season was about Yakupov not producing. What about Huberdeau? He won the Calder last year and only had 28 points in 69 games this year while Yak had 24 in 63 games? Why isn't Huberdeau getting the same scrutiny as Yakupov?

Jonathan Willis:

Because Huberdeau plays for the Panthers, a team almost literally nobody cares about. This is a team that occasionally loses the ratings battle to infomercials and where you can buy season tickets for the same price as a game in Toronto.  The players are in similar situations, career-wise, but only one is playing under real scrutiny.

Lowetide:

Because Florida has other things to do. Yakupov had a tough time, but he didn't loose a limb. He'll be fine, and I sincerely hope it is as an Oiler. I have a funny feeling about this summer....

Jason Strudwick:

I only watched Huberdeau a few times this season. His numbers don't really matter to me. I think Yak has to develop a better respect for playing without the puck. There are talented players and then there are hockey players that are talented

Jason Gregor:

Huberdeau doesn’t play in Edmonton. He plays in Florida where they have 1/10 of the media coverage and fan interest. I did read a few articles in Florida wondering why he was struggling, but the scrutiny wasn’t as intense because the market is not a hockey hotbed. The other difference is when Huberdeau scored 14 goals as a rookie people in Florida didn’t claim he was going to be the next great superstar. In Edmonton, I think Yakupov was a bit of a victim of being overhyped for his rookie campaign, and over scrutinized last year. That is how it is in a hockey market.

baggedmilk:

If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound? Florida cares about hockey as much as I care about dressage... although a horse crip walking is pretty gangster. Yak is going to be fine and we'll all laugh about this one day.

DontDoIt

2) Shaun Trottier asks - If you're MacT, which free agents would you avoid completely and why?

Jonathan Willis:

Ryan Callahan and Dave Bolland because they're on the wrong side of their career curves and they're going to be way overpaid in term and dollars. Unless it's a bizarre off-season, we can probably say ditto for Brooks Orpik.

Lowetide:

Christ. Pretty much all of them. This is a really dangerous summer to blow your brains out. I might suggest he waits until July 20th to jump in and get the secondary moderns.

Jason Strudwick:

Anyone under 5'10 or over 6'3 that plays like he is 5'6.

Jason Gregor:

Any of the small, skilled forwards. The Oilers have more than enough.

baggedmilk:

I'd like to see the Oilers avoid giving players contracts until the end of time. I hope MacT learned something from the whole Clarkson thing.

RuleChanges

3) Kyle Hutchins asks - The NHL is always tinkering with rules to try and increase scoring. What rule change or adjustment would you make to get the number of goals up?

Jonathan Willis:

The really, really simple one

Lowetide:

Reduce the size of goalie pads.

Jason Strudwick:

Shrink the goalies gloves.

Jason Gregor:

Shrink goalie equipment.

baggedmilk:

I suggest a 5 minute portion of every game where both teams will play without a goalie.  The NHL wants scoring, and this would be the most exciting (read gong show-ish) five minutes ever played!

GetOut

4) Jesse Howard asks - In Edmonton, we often hear the cliche about the fans and media running players out of town (ex Tom Poti) but how much do, if at all, do fans and media affect a player's career/stay in a given city?

Jonathan Willis:

That's a tough one. I think fans/media influence the team to a certain degree, but I doubt that Craig MacTavish is clicking on OilersNation.com and rifling through newspapers on his desk before he makes his decisions.

Lowetide:

I don't know. Oiler fans don't like college defenseman, and I think some media dislike them too, but the management of the team also doesn't seem completely sold on the player type. So, what came first? No idea.

Jason Strudwick:

The pressure in a Canadian city can be hard. The best thing a player can do it not listen to or read any online noise.

Jason Gregor:

Over time it might, but it usually happens to players on losing teams. If a team is winning I doubt they care what the media and fans say, but when the team is losing they have a tendency to “hear” the negativity more. Players get sick of losing, and if the fans are on them constantly some might prefer a change of address, but very few of them ask to leave.

baggedmilk:

Maybe we wouldn't have to run guys out of town if they didn't suck so much! I don't know... you're a pro athlete so media and fans are part of the job - deal with it.  If you don't want to know what fans and media are saying stay off Twitter, build a cabin in the woods, and don't read it.

GuiltyPleasure

5) Kevin Stang asks - Michael Dal Colle admitted that his favourite song is Drops of Jupiter by Train. What is your favourite guilty pleasure song or TV show?

Jonathan Willis:

So my wife went on a Desperate Housewives kick... and I've now seen several episodes. And by several episodes I mean several seasons. And by several seasons I mean pretty much all of it. *hangs head in shame*

Lowetide:

Jeff Buckley's version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. Chills. Absolute chills.

Jason Strudwick:

Finally a good dumb question. Three's Company

Jason Gregor:

I like ballads. Beneath your Beautiful by Labrinth is a must-listen and it reminds me of my wife.

baggedmilk:

This is going to take a while...

For music, my list of guilty pleasures is endless... Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe was my jam all year last year. I'm also a big fan of Story of My Life by One Direction. I'll blast that louder than any 29 year old male ever should. I've got Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, and Hanson on my iPod. I know all the words to many Katy Perry songs.

As for TV, I used to watch Teen Mom all the time.  I don't know why trashy teenagers are so funny but if Teen Mom is on, I'm all over it.

*is embarrassed to know self*

94ea28cbbd0f9fe4153692bb3e38b40c
Twitter tyrant for @OilersNation - Resident Jackass - Poor vessel for carrying milk. Follow me on twitter (@jsbmbaggedmilk) - Instagram (@himynameisbaggedmilk) or email me at baggedmilk@oilersnation.com.
#3 oilleak
June 16 2014, 02:21PM

Paajarvi for 3rd line lw...Ansisimov for 2nd line center.

#4 RexHolez
June 16 2014, 02:23PM

I like my pop tarts untoasted

#6 BBF III
June 16 2014, 02:33PM

Lowetide, I believe your definition of "guilty pleasure" differs from everyone else's. I don't know anyone who would be embarrassed to like Jeff Buckley.

#7 RexHolez
June 16 2014, 02:37PM

Ok serious question: if you you were in a results driven business and you were clearly underperforming in you're role, but you're friends with the companies owner and instead of firing you he promotes you, what would the motivation be for you to get better?

#8 derek rozko
June 16 2014, 02:38PM

If I were to bring in a rule to increase opportunity, I would call 3 consective icings by one team a delay of game penalty. some teams might get crushed in the gaa department though. If you cant get the puck out you should get scored on.

#10 Bdubbs
June 16 2014, 02:47PM

I can see Oilers signing Steve Ott, Penner and Kulemin for a revamped 3rd line being able to move Gordon and Hendricks down to 4th line. Then if B. Richards gets bought out I could see us going after him to be our 2nd line center. After that Gagner+ would be a piece of the puzzle to trade away for a top pairing guy. If you can't sign Ott the 3rd overall pick can get easy third line minutes with Richards taking the harder minutes.

#11 YakCity1024
June 16 2014, 03:03PM
RexHolez wrote:

I like my pop tarts untoasted

LMFAO

#12 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
June 16 2014, 03:12PM

#14 Chipper
June 16 2014, 04:02PM

If regulation overtime is required, 2 points for the winner, 0 points for the loser. No more Loser points! Teams would go for it as opposed to playing for the draw and going to the skills competition (shootout).

#15 Rob...
June 16 2014, 04:04PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdyTXBT5CQE 2:05 mark. Nobody has any business singing Hallelujah that well when it's not their first language.

#16 OilClog
June 16 2014, 04:16PM

For music, my list of guilty pleasures is endless... Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe was my jam all year last year. I'm also a big fan of Story of My Life by One Direction. I'll blast that louder than any 29 year old male ever should. I've got Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, and Hanson on my iPod. I know all the words to many Katy Perry songs.

As for TV, I used to watch Teen Mom all the time. I don't know why trashy teenagers are so funny but if Teen Mom is on, I'm all over it.

You know what Hockey is? That doesn't seem believable.

#17 David S
June 16 2014, 04:49PM

*Strokes chin looking upward as thought bubble rises above head.*

"Hmmm... This mailbag thing seems to be taking off. REALLY taking off. Baggedmilk might be on to something here."

#18 Wax Man Riley
June 16 2014, 05:05PM
Chipper wrote:

NO MORE LOSER POINTS!

Or does this work.....?

0 points to get to overtime.1 point for getting to a shootout, and an additional point for winning the shootout.

There is more incentive to win in overtime since nobody has a point yet.

#19 Wax Man Riley
June 16 2014, 05:07PM

Another great idea I have heard and wrote about before, is to increase the size of the blue lines from 12" to at least 24" or even 36"

It makes each of the zones larger. without changing the dimensions of the ice.

#20 cmandev77
June 16 2014, 05:21PM
baggedmilk wrote:

KD Lang is a Canadian treasure!

No, Gerry Dee is a Canadian Treasure...I would give up KD Lang in a heartbeat but that is just my opinion and everyone knows what opinions are like...

#21 Taylor Gang
June 16 2014, 06:08PM
BBF III wrote:

Who is Jeff Buckley?

#22 BlazingSaitls
June 16 2014, 06:51PM

That is BS focusing on the goalie equipment. As we've seen in this years playoffs, when hockey is played and officiated right there are plenty of goals to be had.

Here is the problem. Zero consistency with refs. Refs have to much control in ruining a good game with bad officiating. Its clear at times that Refs play favorites. Respect calls are bullcrap and our Oilers are usually on the wrong end of those calls.

A call is a call. A penalty is a penalty.

Bring back the red-line. Hold referees accountable instead of staunchly defending their horrible calls. Call hooking, call grabbing, call diving, and call cheap shots instead of rewarding "feistyness". I implore the NHL to have consistency all year long with regards to officiating; including playoffs.

= more goals

#23 Harry
June 16 2014, 07:31PM

Oh my god. I just lost so much respect for Mr. Milk. Backstreet boys, Hansen. WOW

#24 D-Unit
June 16 2014, 07:53PM
Wax Man Riley wrote:

It makes each of the zones larger. without changing the dimensions of the ice.

They already made the zones larger a while back. If they get any bigger, might as well get rid of the neutral zone altogether.

#25 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
June 16 2014, 08:12PM

Who in the blue Puck, is Jerry Dee?

#26 Itchy
June 16 2014, 08:59PM
Harry wrote:

You either like Backstreet Boys or you're a liar.

#27 BlazingSaitls
June 16 2014, 08:59PM

@Next up, is Connor McJesus.

He is the guy who hands out the rally towels for Oiler playoff games. I Cant blame ya for not knowing that. Its a rare few that do know.

referring to Jerry D of course

#28 corey
June 16 2014, 09:37PM

@RexHolez

What motivation do you have to improve if your fired?

#29 corey
June 16 2014, 09:37PM

@RexHolez

What motivation do you have to improve if your fired?

#30 Dan 1919
June 16 2014, 09:38PM
Wax Man Riley wrote:

NO MORE LOSER POINTS!

Or does this work.....?

There is more incentive to win in overtime since nobody has a point yet.

I’ve been saying this one for years and I honestly have trouble understanding how anything else is more appropriate:

2 points for a regulation win

1 point for a win that occurs after regulation (SO or OT)

0 points for losers

This way teams will be forced to play offence in the third period to actually go for the two points. It would be the only way to make up ground during the playoff race. OT win would be a disappointing idle in place night... Play to win all game long...

#31 Dan 1919
June 16 2014, 09:42PM
corey wrote:

What motivation do you have to improve if your fired?

Your motivation would be you screwed up so bad that they fired you so you can’t screw any more stuff up.

It’s not really about sacrificing a hockey team so an individual can figure out life lessons on what it means to be fired...

Good talk.

#32 oil leak
June 16 2014, 10:57PM

@oilleak

you stole my name jerk

#33 DrDave
June 16 2014, 11:11PM

Untoasted pop tarts? You sir are an animal!

#34 CMG30
June 17 2014, 07:12AM

More goals? Let them kick the puck in.

#35 Britts94
June 17 2014, 09:11AM
CMG30 wrote:

More goals? Let them kick the puck in.

Dwayne Roloson would still play if that was a rule. He'd boot it out of the zone and into the net every time the other team had an empty net :)

#37 Dallylamma
June 17 2014, 12:04PM

To increase scoring they should let teams pick what type of power play they want.

Instead of always going 5 on 4 for two minutes for a minor, maybe the team with the PP chooses to go 6 on 4 or 5 on 3 for one minute...or 7 (with an empty net) on 4 for two minutes.

Could be exciting.

#38 Hall of a Player
June 17 2014, 01:20PM

My guilty pleasure is watching the craptastic hockey being played by our Oil!!

#39 RyanCoke
June 17 2014, 03:14PM

My rule change would be to implement icing on a PK. Having to actually skate out of your zone under all that pressure and not getting a change when you dump would add to scoring by the bucketload

#40 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
June 17 2014, 07:35PM

Three points for reg WIN.

Two points for Overtime Win

Loser point still counts*.

---------------------------------------------

*If the NHL still feels the need to give both teams a point for a regulation tie, then its time to switch to the soccer model of 3 points for a win. THAT would make teams "go for it".

#41 Jay from YYC
June 19 2014, 11:38AM

Late to the party but I gotta say, my biggest guilty pleasure used to be Real Housewives of New York (the one with Jill + Bethenny) and OC. Don't know why, but it is just so entertaining, and pathetic but if I ever flip to that channel accidentally I can't tune out.