EVERY PICTURE TELLS A STORY

Lowetide
June 22 2014 03:55PM

paul bunyan

There are things you see that force a double take, and that was the case earlier today when I found out the big brains at Extra Skater added a new item on their menu. It's a 'tool you can use' if you're a fan of the draft and CHL prospects, and frankly, it's one big damn deal.

EXTRA SKATER....

As you know, Extra Skater provides advanced stats for NHL seasons and games. It ranges from the simple (shot percentage) to the very involved aspects of the game. As someone who understands some of the metrics and measures, I find the site to be vital for the learning.

Today, ES blessed me with something in my wheelhouse. Estimated time-on-ice and scoring rates for CHL prospects, including drafted players and those eligible for the draft. As an example, here's the top 10 among CHL players eligible for this year's draft in one discipline.

ES CHL 2014 EL

This is a monster, it really is a slice of history. You're looking at a line that suggests an estimated Time-on-ice total for each player, and then a points-per-60 (this is all disciplines, EV, PP, PK) for individual players. Awesome. But there's more!

The screen I'm showing you is here

It also tells you the estimated time-on-ice total for each discipline, qual comp and qual team. It's truly insane. I'm in my 50's, and couldn't have dreamed this day was possible (I have bitched and moaned about actual time on ice since I was a young man, though).

For me, it's a day of absolute joy. For you, who are younger, it's a tool you can use forever in the evaluation of prospects. In my day, I had to believe Chris Hajt was a fine prospect because that's what the Hockey News told me.

Today? Let's check it out at extra skater. We are truly living in a wonderful time. Thank you Extra Skater. This is Christmas.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#51 Chongler
June 23 2014, 01:35AM
JJ wrote:

Please, no more Sams on this team. We don't need to add to the collection of piles of **** started with Fa.gner. Little Pric.k doesn't deserve his name, which means win in french, because all he does is lose.

It's posts like these that make me wish I could hit the "Trash it!" button a couple dozen times...

#52 Walter Sobchak
June 23 2014, 01:58AM
Clyde Frog wrote:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=117185 the same source you used for your Brule info lists Bennett at 6'0" and 178. So as usual there is a serious debate about his real size.

The combine measurements also list him at 178 and 6 feet, btw.

Making a statement like you know Brule had mental illness and this impacted his game either makes you an insider or someone trying to pass opinion off as fact. Benett has a well documented slight frame and there is a real worry he can carry/build real weight.

I’m going by these reputable articles for Sam Bennett………We are still talking about 2 inches and anywhere from 4-6 pounds lighter then Brule!!

Bennett is 17, the playing wieght used by Brule when he was 6 years into his NHL career at 5’11 185 lbs, and never was one to shy away from tough areas.

You HONESTLY don’t think Bennett wont grow another inch or two and gain 5 pounds? Is that what you believe?

Not that any of this matters!

My disagreement is using Brule as a comparison is wrong, mostly because what was happening on the outside of hockey for Brule, it was an unfair comparison for ether player.

First, Bennett has shown a tenacious side to his play, so you have to think that should translate to the NHL.

Second Brule had that same type of game but lost the consistency which may have been due to a great deal of issue’s off the ice.

The article’s documenting Brule’s problems, just in case you think I made this up for some reason?

Not once did I say I knew what the problems were, simply that he had off ice issues and that was between Brule and his Dr's.

Using Brule as a comparison is still just plain bunk.

#53 Walter Sobchak
June 23 2014, 03:01AM

We have to remind ourselve's, These are 17 year old kids.

Saying Bennett is a lousy pick cause he can't do a pull up is like to saying Draisaitl can’t skate or Rieinhart isn’t competitive enough.

All these kids are ridiculously talented with an abundance of skill, when Bennett was ranked number one at times throughout the year did anyone stop and wonder if he could do a pull up?

Or was he ranked high because he could actually play the game well?

These kids are kids and will continue to develop, they will get stronger and faster, all will play in the NHL.

Stop using pull up’s and size as some form of determining factor on being a quality NHL player.

#54 madjam
June 23 2014, 07:04AM

I hear the Oilers might be drafting Taro Tsyumoto Jr. this year , in a 40year anniversary of his father who was drafted in 1974 .

#55 madjam
June 23 2014, 07:19AM

Oilers about to use two old age systems to choose this years first draftee , because they are so close . The first is eenie,meanie, minny , moe catch the draftee by the toe methodology . The second is the default position of who looks the best in a photo op .

#56 Mike Krushelnyski
June 23 2014, 07:53AM

MacT is going to trade the pick anyways.

Props if you like fresh strawberries on your ice cream, trash if you like decadent butterscotch.

#57 The Soup Fascist
June 23 2014, 08:06AM
Mike Krushelnyski wrote:

MacT is going to trade the pick anyways.

Which button for plain old "scotch" on your ice cream?

Scotchy, scotch, scotch.

#58 Joy S. Lee
June 23 2014, 08:22AM

Thought just occurred to me that, if the Oilers could trade down and somehow retain/acquire TWO picks within the top 12 or so, I would be totally on board for Ritchie and Ehlers. I know I'll get trashed, but that Ehlers kid is the sleeper of this draft, and Ritchie is the behemoth. That would be a real nice pair, and I think Ehlers played center at times for Drouin, so he's used to playing with high-end skill (plus he's got it himself).

#59 j
June 23 2014, 08:27AM
Walter Sobchak wrote:

We have to remind ourselve's, These are 17 year old kids.

Or was he ranked high because he could actually play the game well?

At this time of year (i.e. there isn't much actual hockey to discuss), we do tend to perseverate on the minor differences between the players available in the draft. We all know that they are the best of the best and all of them are extraordinary hockey players. I don't view this banter as a negative indictment of the player or the fan - we are just trading spit. The moment the draft occurs, everyone settles down and moves on the next hockey story (usually RFA signings) and the cycle repeats. Very few people actually have a sincere negative opinion of any of these kids. When things are so close in quality, it is human nature to focus on the imperfections to justify decisions. Kind of like when we are deliberating Ferrari versus Lambo (for the record, I own a Nissan. Nice vehicle. But makes this funny sound from time to time, and the seat can get uncomfortable on long drives...).

#60 Sorensenator
June 23 2014, 08:27AM
Walter Sobchak wrote:

We have to remind ourselve's, These are 17 year old kids.

Or was he ranked high because he could actually play the game well?

OK, we got it, you have a hard on for Bennett.

#61 Walter Sobchak
June 23 2014, 08:54AM
Sorensenator wrote:

OK, we got it, you have a hard on for Bennett.

Actually,after watching Reinhart this year I think Reinharts the most complete player in this draft and is flying under the radar with all the Ekblad, Draisaitl size and Bennett's inability to do a pull up talk.

I think Reinhart will project better down the road then the other two centres.

#62 A-Mc
June 23 2014, 09:32AM

I don't know who the Oilers are going to draft, I'm unsure of which player will suit us best, I hope calgary picks the only dud of the top 4, and i have absolutely zero read on who might go ahead of us, but i do know 1 thing; I'm going to breathe a massive sigh of relief when this whole thing is over.

My opinion flip flops faster than a beached fish, I am absolutely sure that i have absolutely no idea who the best is going to be; this draft year is taking its toll on me; I'm exhausted!

#63 nuge2nail
June 23 2014, 10:12AM
Walter Sobchak wrote:

I think Reinhart will project better down the road then the other two centres.

Oiler Domination To Follow

100% agree Reinhert will have the best career of the centers.

Problem is he won't be available with the 3rd overall pick.

#64 nuge2nail
June 23 2014, 10:13AM

Oiler Domination To Follow

Umberger for Hartnell...

Interesting trade- I'd rather have Hartnell any day.

And the Hextall ere begins.

#65 pelhem grenville
June 23 2014, 10:28AM

...draft Draisaitl

junior for one more year so the hundred+ point season isn't an aberration then the A for a season or two...deserving call ups for injuries those two years should give him every chance to come in make it hard for them to do anything but keep him to be the centre man this team needs...a process called "all in good time"...kinda like Hartikainen was SUPPOSED to be...the third line monster LWinger this club needed...but the combination of crappy coaching...abysmal asset management & development drove the kid to seeing dollars signs more to his liking in the KHL...

oh this just in...apart from loving to say that and actually this just in is from June 8th so I guess this just in isn't all that just in...David Staples reported the boss at Central Scouting thinks Draisaitl COULD go first overall afterall...jus sayin'

#66 jt in Oilertown
June 23 2014, 10:34AM

@nuge2nail

Hartnell is going to look great in a Kings uniform 9 months from now.

#67 BobbyCanuck
June 23 2014, 10:50AM
The Soup Fascist wrote:

Which button for plain old "scotch" on your ice cream?

Scotchy, scotch, scotch.

Scotch on vanilla ice-cream, you have not lived till you try it!

Cannot remember where I read it, but our goldenest of golden children RNH said that he does not understand why upper body strenght is considered a measurement metric in the combine

take that for what it is worth

#68 Spydyr
June 23 2014, 10:54AM
BobbyCanuck wrote:

Scotch on vanilla ice-cream, you have not lived till you try it!

take that for what it is worth

Perhaps his shoulder surgery enlightened him.

#69 Jeffff
June 23 2014, 11:33AM

Pick 1 Oilers

1. Bennett

2. Ekblad

3. Draisaitl

This is my ranking.

#70 nugeformayor
June 23 2014, 01:03PM

we lack compete and edge, bennett is the clear choice but i see them picking what i like to call the most squishy player available and calgary will get the true player like they did last year with their pick "monohan" only they wont be picking before us and i bet bennett will be a thorn in edmonton's side for years to come.

#71 oilspray
June 23 2014, 02:40PM

Omark , Ference, rights to Horak and a conditional 7th for Shea Weber and a 1st???