DRAFT WEEK KARMA

Wanye
June 24 2014 03:05PM

Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 12.55.57 PM

Summertime in Edmonton. The sun is shining nearly 24 hours a day. Food trucks have materialized from their winter slumber and line the streets like bystanders at a parade. And as an Oilers fan this is the time of the year where most of us are in a deadzone of emotion.

The disappointment of the Oilers missing the playoffs for the 2,501st time in a row has worn off. Watching those same playoffs with vague remembrances of “I swear the Oilers played in these once” is behind us too. We have also observed the bittersweet annual tradition of the Stanley Cup being hoisted by former Oilers who can count “leaving the Edmontons” as their premiere career move.

Ah the Summer doldrums.

Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 2.27.31 PM

We now approach the time to reboot the excitement machine for a new season. The Oilers are doing that long shot prospect camp in Jasper soon. The draft is right around the corner followed by Free Agency. How can we get our excitement level back up to levels where we can confidently predict a Stanley Cup win during training camp?*

In times like this there is only one play – send out some positivity into the universe on the eve of yet another draft that may be the highlight of the season as Oilers fans.

This year we have two charity initiatives to improve our karma. The Draft Party on Friday and now our first ever Charity Auction Potluck.

THE 411

Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 12.57.53 PM

Our twitter BFF @mig14 recently told us about about a special Edmonton family she knows that is raising money for a very deserving cause. The L'il Angel in the photo above is Kelty and she is in need of surgery in the States and her mom is raising money to get this done.

From her website:

“My daughter Kelty is 4 years old and has Cerebral Palsy. Kelty is a beautiful, bright and charming little girl that faces major developmental challenges due to the brain injury she suffered at birth. Kelty cannot yet walk independently and has a severe speech production delay. The primary goal in starting this site is to raise money to help offset the $20,000 cost of a Selective Percutaneous Myofascial Lengthening (SPML) surgery this August (2014) in New Jersey, USA.
If we are fortunate enough to exceed our goal, any additional funds will be put towards the cost of on-going neuromotor therapy she receives from a practitioner based out of Toronto."

With the surgery date right around the corner their fundraising efforts are lagging a bit behind and this is where we figured the Nation Network will step in and try to help. We could sit around fuming about the injustice of another Oilers season going straight into the garbage or we could collectively come together and help out a deserving Edmonton family who is under the gun at the moment.  We can think of it as one of those third period comebacks that we rarely get to watch.

And thus, baggedmilk and I figured we would have our first ever Charity Auction Potluck.

WTF IS A CHARITY AUCTION POTLUCK?

Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 1.13.43 PM

"What isn’t a charity auction potluck?" would be a better question. A potluck is one of them things when everyone brings something to a dinner party. You got spareribs? Bring em. Your ol’ lady makes a mean bean dip? Bring that too. Whatever you have on hand you bring to the party and we all have a grand time.

In our mind a charity auction potluck is a similar mishmash of intention. Do you have the kind of money to bid on our auction items? No? How about a spare $20 to simply donate to an awesome cause? Nice. Perhaps you have an item we could auction off sitting around. Let’s bring that to the party too you wild animal you.

First let's figure out where you stand on the baller ladder.

I HAVE BIG MONEY - $100+

Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 1.15.49 PM

Oh, you have some big smoke, do you big spender? Feel like ol' Shawn Horcoff on contract signing day? That’s the stuff. The quickest way to connect your wallet stuffed full of $100 bills to this cause is to click on the link here and make a donation to Kelty by paypal.

Or you can save your cash for our auction starting on Thursday and try your luck buying some sweet sweet items. We will kick this off by donating $1,000 of hard earned Nation Network cash currently lying around HQ.

In unrelated news: $1,000 of Nation Network outstanding cheques just bounced somewhere. So be it.

I HAVE SOME MONEY - > $100 OR LESS

Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 2.47.43 PM

So you may be reading this and thinking "Yeah Wanye I would like to help but I don't exactly have a ton of money at the moment." We totally understand. But maybe you have an extra $20 in your wallet or maybe there is still a little wiggle room on your nearly maxed credit card. That will do just fine.

Pop on over to Kelty's paypal page and throw it down.

Think of it as a good karma donation for the Oilers. Heaven knows they could use it right now and as fans all of us rallying around a cause like this is sure to help. Donating money to Kelty will undoubtedly cause the Nuge to gain a quick 30 lbs of pure muscle, Taylor Hall's many injured limbs to heal and cause an opposing GM the necessary confusion on asset value to get fleeced by Mac T in a lopsided deal. Sweet.

Make a quick donation for your ol' pal Wanye would ya?

I HAVE VALUABLE AUCTION ITEMS

Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 1.17.39 PM

To help raise this money we are going to have an online auction here at the Nation starting on Thursday and it will run for 1 week. Perhaps you would like to regift something you have already won at an auction. Perhaps you work for a company that has a ton of sweet product you could help "accidentally" find it's way into a charity auction.

Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 2.39.21 PM

To kick things off your ol' pal Wanye has donated my prized Jordan Eberle autographed Jersey.

I would normally rather part with a tooth than this bad boy as I was saving it to wear at the eventual wedding between myself and #14. But I suppose it's better that a little Angel get needed surgery than me impressing my future in laws by coming down the aisle in white.

Do you have something brand new lying around that we could auction off over draft weekend? Hit up my main man and Potluck Co Chairman baggedmilk@oilersnation.com stat with pictures and a description of what is going on.

CHARITY PARTY

Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 2.50.37 PM

This Friday marks our annual Draft party at the Pint Downtown. In past years things have gotten pretty wild as internet friends meet for the first time in real life, real life friends go hard in the name of charity or complete strangers meet up for an evening of whirlwind romance.**

Tickets are only $20 and that gets you a limited edition Draft Party Tee Shirt, a $20 Pint GC and a $10 Oodle Noodle GC from those apparent cheapskates at Oodle Noodle.

Let's throw it down in the name of a great cause and watch the Oilers trade for first pick overall.***

Buy your tickets here.

*See Gretz, Wanye 2007-present

** No hookups have occurred at a Hockey Blog Party. Ever.

*** Confirmed E5.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#2 Yolo
June 24 2014, 03:13PM

I'm trying to think of a post to bash the oilers, but the article is about charity so it would be wrong. But I guess the draft is sorta like charity, giving the crappiest teams the best players to develop so they're ready to go win somewhere when they hit free agency

#4 baggedmilk
June 24 2014, 03:15PM

I'm a chairman! *drools*

#5 A-Mc
June 24 2014, 03:21PM

In Typical Oilers fashion, KLowe's bean dip is going to give us all the squirts - dont let this guy in!

BOOO JEANSHORTS

#6 ThinkingOutLoud
June 24 2014, 03:22PM

"Wearing white on your wedding day" actually made me LOL, and possibly snort a bit. Once the embarrasment wears off, and the small children lose interest and stop pointing and staring I may actually remember to thank you.

But seriously - great cause and great job! Nice to see you and the nation team taking time out from doing what you do every day, Pinky, trying to take over the world ;)

#7 Gerald R. Ford
June 24 2014, 03:29PM

Who can say no to that little angel? YES WANYE, I MEAN YOU!@@#$!

Seriously, God bless little Kelty, and thanks again to The beloved Nation for proving once more that this isn't just a site where drunken, angry degenerates congregate to bitterly argue the minutiae of every detail of the copper and blue.

Not JUST that...

#8 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
June 24 2014, 03:45PM

Thanks a lot Wanye

That "Chairman" crack will go straight

to baggedmilks head dude.

#9 laughing pug
June 24 2014, 04:00PM

You're a good dude Wanye

#10 utarded
June 24 2014, 04:08PM

WHAT Wanye still writes for oilers nation! Weird.

#13 Danger Pay
June 24 2014, 04:23PM

#14 BrassRiderEva
June 24 2014, 05:29PM

**True. It was looking good for my friend at DJ Suitcase until one party took a 30-minute chunder break and was escorted off the premises.

#15 Jayz
June 24 2014, 05:56PM

My daughters the same age, it made me appreciate how lucky and blessed I am to have a healthy happy kid. Good thing I paid down the cc last payday so I could help out a little :) This means playoffs next year right ?

#16 Harlie
June 24 2014, 07:01PM

Granted I'm watching the NHL awards from earls in Fort Mac right now and I can't hear a peep, but Cuba Gooding JR seems to be a little on the crazy side tonight. I kinda like seeing it from the old man.

I mean, rubbing Messiers bald skull? Show me the FUNNY!!

#17 Mason Storm
June 24 2014, 11:19PM

The nhl awards were tonight? Hahaha holy crap. Was it even on tv?

#18 hagargt
June 25 2014, 02:19AM

@Wanye

100 bones sent!! Fire something off boys and girl!! What's a case of beer or a pack of smokes (if you smoke)? I don't have any kids, but I can't imagine what I would do to save one, and what any possible hope can bring. Dot it up!!

#19 hagargt
June 25 2014, 02:29AM

Here is a great idea!!! How about the oilers personal that trolls this site defending kevin lowe write a check that can't even be felt like a freakin flee in financial weight to finish off this girls treatment? Its not even the price of a team dinner after a win.

#20 Mason Storm
June 25 2014, 02:38AM
hagargt wrote:

To be honest. The budget for meals after team wins is likely not enough.

#21 sizedoesmatter
June 25 2014, 07:49AM

cick done what wanye wants wanye gets

#22 Oilers4ever
June 25 2014, 08:24AM

Really. 9 mill over 2 years for nikitin. Huge over payment. Not worth the cash. What kind of message are you sending petry and schultz with this. Bonehead signing.... not surprising though.

#26 Katie
June 27 2014, 10:10AM

This is Kelty's mom. I am absolutely floored by the generosity of the guys at Oiler's Nation that put this together ... and by the amount of support your followers have shown complete strangers. Thank you, thank you, thank you! x Katie (and of course Kelty)