Gagner traded to Tampa Bay

Jason Gregor
June 29 2014 08:16PM

sam_gagner_edm

Sam Gagner is no longer a member of the Edmonton Oilers. Gagner was dealt to Tampa Bay for Teddy Purcell. ***Update. Tampa just traded him to Arizona.**

Gagner has two years left on a deal that pays him $4.8 million/year. 

Purcell has two years left on his $4.5 million/year cap hit.

Gagner has played 481 games and scored 101-194-295.

Purcell has played 401 games and tallied 75-153-228.

Purcell is four years older, however, he has produced 51 and 65 point seasons.

Craig MacTavish had mentioned numerous times over the past few weeks that the Oilers planned on using Gagner on the wing next season, so trading him for a winger suggests they'd didn't want to wait and see how Gagner would adapt moving to the wing.

Purcell has a bigger frame, but don't expect him to be play with an edge. He is not a physical player, but he is much better defensively than Gagner.

Purcell was 2nd best on the Lightning last season with a  53% CF, but I don't see him as a guy who will face the tough minutes on a nightly basis. 

To me this trade signifies the Oilers didn't want to wait and see if Gagner could take the next step in his development. 

It is an interesting trade from Tampa Bay's perspective. They add a younger player, but Gagner hasn't produced more recently and they don't need him to play centre. Purcell is a big body and better possession player, so part of me wonders if they make another move. They could buy out Gagner at 1/3 of his contract if they wanted to. It looks like they need to clear some cap space.

***EDIT...Turns out they did make another move. They just traded Gagner and BJ Crombeen to the Arizona Coyotes for a draft pick according to Bob McKenzie**

Regardless of what the Lightning do, the Oilers have added an older player, who is a better possession player, but don't expect him to me more than a complementary player in Edmonton. That is fine, because teams need solid complementary players to win, but people shouldn't expect Purcell to be an offensive leader.

WRAP UP

I always enjoyed dealing with Gagner. The past few seasons weren't easy for him. He was aware of how he was perceived by some fans, and he understood their disappointment. Gagner was always a professional and he never hid from the media, unlike some other players.

I have a lot of respect for Gagner, and I hope a change of address gives his career a jumpstart. While he didn't produce as much as he or the fans wanted, he always cared. The losing bothered him, and this year was the more frustrating of his career.

Good luck Sam.

Recently by Jason Gregor: 

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#1 Jackson
June 29 2014, 08:31PM
Trash it!
77
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

Oilers are looking for good news so they start with the premise Purcell is going to be good , look at his size look at his possession #'s etc

Reality has jumped the shark for Oiler fans. Not 1, 200 -foot player on the Oilers .

Purcell will start on the 2nd line and continue to fall to the 4th. Where he belongs.

If Purcell was under 6 feet the knives would be out, but they started a new narrative. Don't get in the way

Avatar
#2 PutzStew
June 29 2014, 09:32PM
Trash it!
69
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers

LMAO.

So let me get this straight. Sam Gagner, a capable NHL player drafted 6 overall. Few years later traded. He plus a slugger is worth a low round pick. Bravo Oilers, Bravo.

I was thinking about this today when Lowetide was talking up MacT (Again) for his getting Perron. It wasn't just PRV and a Second for Perron, it was a 10th overall pic plus a second round pick for Perron.

Would you give up the #10 pick and a second for Perron today?

Never the less Gagner joins the ever increasing amount of potential that this team has killed. I hope he thrives in Phenoix and proves yet again what a joke this team is.

$4.5M for third pair Dman and 4th liners. Classic.

Avatar
#3 Jeffff
June 29 2014, 08:23PM
Trash it!
63
trashes
Cheers
17
cheers

4/16/14) Teddy Purcell, who is currently toiling on Tampa’s fourth line after a poor season, hopes the playoffs will boost his game, reports the Tampa Bay Times. “It’s so much easier to get up for games in the playoffs,” said Purcell.

Don't care about the advanced stats Purcell is a 4th liner

Avatar
#4 Jackson
June 29 2014, 09:18PM
Trash it!
41
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

In 129 games Purcell has scored a measly 23 goals despite playing top-six minutes. Playing with superstars

And that lead to the 4th line.

Avatar
#5 Milos
June 29 2014, 11:04PM
Trash it!
38
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

Only one thing to say.. No matter the return, just glad to get that total piece of sh.it out of edmonton. He could have been thrown off the plane in arizona for all i care, as long as he's gone. getting a good roster player back for that cancer makes it that much sweeter.

Bye Sammy Snowpants, you ba.stard. Don't let the door hit your a.ss on the way out and don't even look back cause no one's gonna be waving.

Avatar
#6 PutzStew
June 29 2014, 09:34PM
Trash it!
34
trashes
Cheers
45
cheers

What do Edmonton Oilers and Fort Mac have in common???

No one really wants to work or live there their but you can go get overpaid for a couple years and be able to afford to retire early and live somewhere decent.

Avatar
#7 hockeycrazed
June 29 2014, 10:07PM
Trash it!
34
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

What just happened??!!! MacT has done it again, he's done what his predecessors' done, traded away his scapegoat!!! Too bad they couldn't trade away the entire management group instead, after all it was their mess to begin with, it was their incompetence that led to nine failing seasons! Obviously, trading your 24 yr old first round pick for a 28 yr old undrafted player shows that MacT 's desperate, he's panicking, Lord knows what he'll throw away next....... stay tune.... THE NIGHTMARE has begun...... And the REBUILDING FOLLOWS..... for another decade no less!!!! see you in 2024 guys......

Avatar
#8 Spydyr
June 30 2014, 12:09AM
Trash it!
34
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

OK,

I'm going to try one more time to explain asset management in the NHL before calling it a night.

The Red Wings using a 6th round pick an asset of very little value drafted Pavel Datsyuk then developed him properly.Very good asset management.

The Oilers took a very nice asset a 6th overall pick(Gagner).

The did not develop him properly then they overpaid him.Giving him very little market value.

That 6th overall pick was just traded for a 6th round pick.

If you cannot see the extremely poor asset management by the Oilers with Gagner,nothing anyone can do or say will change that.

Avatar
#9 PutzStew
June 29 2014, 11:28PM
Trash it!
33
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Zarny wrote:

You talk as if your made up currency and accounting is real. The #1 pick isn't worth 210. The #10 pick isn't worth 200 in comparison. That's just a value system you made up.

And thoughts like this are why this team has been the worst team over the past 8 seasons.

Please keep it up.

Avatar
#10 madjam
June 30 2014, 07:15AM
Trash it!
33
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

How much of Gagner's salary are we paying/retaining to Arizona to take Gagner from/to Tampa ? Did we just get double fleeced ?

Avatar
#11 Reg Dunlop
June 30 2014, 12:44AM
Trash it!
32
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Zarny wrote:

The rebuild has nothing to do with Ehrhoff retiring. He's 32 and his contract started tailing in 3 years; when he likely plans to retire.

C. Ehrhoff, born July 6, 1982. 31 years old. Get your facts straight, stupid.

Avatar
#12 Jackson
June 29 2014, 08:50PM
Trash it!
30
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

TBay trades Gagner and Crombeen for a 5th rd pick. Mact are you taking notes.

Avatar
#13 PutzStew
June 29 2014, 11:35PM
Trash it!
30
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

Well of course it is made up it was as much as I could dumb it down.

To present it in the simplest terms possible.

I don't think you dumbed it down enough. Maybe if you translated it to hookers and crack some of these individuals would be able to understand it better.

Avatar
#14 Nick
June 29 2014, 08:53PM
Trash it!
29
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
Paul wrote:

So am I to assume our current lineup looks something like this?

Hall -- RNH -- Eberle Perron -- Arcobello -- Purcell Joensuu -- Draisaitl -- Yakupov Lander -- Gordon -- Hendricks

Marincin -- Petry Nikitin -- Schultz Ference -- Klefbom Fraser

Scrivens Fasth

The top 6 is maybe better than last year based on: -Arcobello being far and away our 2nd best centerman last year (despite what the coaching staff believed); -Purcell being worse than Hemsky; and -The HOPE that our top line of kids should be better.

I like my made up bottom six better than what the 2013-14 Oilers ran with. That 3rd line should be good for many LOLs.

Defense looks...well I hope Scrivens & Fasth are fantastic!

And for Gagner, best of luck to you! Hard to believe he's only 24 with seven seasons under his belt. Perhaps if Tambellini hadn't completely botched his contract, he may still be an Oiler...or MacT could have gained more in the trade.

Srivens look horrible in his biggest game of his life the World Championships.

His rebound control is sub par for starting Goalies. No one wants to talk about this but the goaltending for Oilers probably has not been solved

Avatar
#15 G-Unit
June 29 2014, 09:04PM
Trash it!
28
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers
John wrote:

Clearing salary cap room

Clearing cap room for what? They are going to be overpaying some mediocre talent to get to the cap floor and we had a legitimate NHL player. He has his faults, but Sam bled for this team and the team gave him nothing. The display of his gutless team mates after that idiot from Vancouver smashed his grill in was embarrassing. He should have walked away after that.

Avatar
#16 Rich
June 29 2014, 09:35PM
Trash it!
28
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

Where can I buy a Tampa bay lightning Sam Gagner Jersey?

Avatar
#17 Jackson
June 29 2014, 09:27PM
Trash it!
26
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers
Grant wrote:

Troll

Facts turn you into a troll. Interesting

Avatar
#18 PutzStew
June 29 2014, 11:33PM
Trash it!
25
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
sean wrote:

I'm sorry but you really can't think of the nhl like your silly version of monopoly , if you could just draft number one every year and add up 210 every time the Oilers would be in the playoffs . Obviously people prove there worth after they are drafted . As Zetterberg or anyone drafted in the later rounds should make clear its not so simple.

Really. I didn't realize what time it was. All the dead heads must be out right now. There is no way some many socially functioning humans can not grasp the idea of asset management.

Avatar
#19 Spydyr
June 29 2014, 10:49PM
Trash it!
24
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Wax Man Riley wrote:

I wasn't debating whether The Oilers were good or bad at developing. We all know the answer to that. 30+30+29+24+28= the worst run franchise in pro sport.

What I'm saying is that the trade was PRV and a 2nd. Not a #10 and a 2nd. What number he was picked at when he was traded is irrelevant. The player he was at the time is.

If I have Cam Barker, and you have Mark Streit, and we trade, I get the better player.

You don't win the trade because you got the #3 and I got #262.

Spyder See above.

Of course it is relevant.

I will explain this one more time in the simplest economic terms I can come up with.

Think of the NHL like a big game of monopoly.Every year the teams pass GO and collect money(assets).

Those assets are draft picks.The only assets every team receives every year.They are the currency of the NHL.Those assets can go up or down in value and they do.

Now there are 30 teams and 7 rounds in the draft.

For the sake of simplicity lets say there are 7x30=210 picks.

So the number 1 pick would be worth 210 and thats last pick 1.

Following so far.

The PVR pick cost the Oilers 200 dollars in NHL currency.

They traded that value along with the 3rd pick in the second round or another 177 in NHL currency for Perron drafted 26 overall or worth 184.

So the Oilers spent 200+177=377 for 184.

That is selling at a loss.

Good teams buy low and sell high bad teams buy high and sell low.See Edmonton Oilers.

Avatar
#20 mesa
June 29 2014, 09:31PM
Trash it!
22
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
Oilers4ever wrote:

Sure glad I'm not a lightning fan. As poorly as gagner's played, he alone is worth more than a 5th round pick. I know Bolts are shedding cap but they got fleeced today. Unless a big signing is coming I'd be pissed as a Bolts fan.

MAN DO NOT YOU READ THE POSTS.HE IS A COYOTE NOW

Avatar
#21 Zarny
June 29 2014, 09:07PM
Trash it!
21
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

Dave Bolland might be a good target for MacT. 27 and in his prime although often injured. Still, he can handle defensive duties and has enough offense to his game to be a 2C for a couple of years and then transition to 3C as Draisaitl matures.

Or David Legwand. Of course, neither may even speak to MacT.

Avatar
#22 Spydyr
June 29 2014, 09:44PM
Trash it!
21
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
dq wrote:

Thanks for your efforts Sam One of the hardest workers in the off season, active in the community, leader in the dressing room, and respected across the league. You deserved better from the team, karma, and the fans. Best of luck in AZ

Yeah, respected like a 6th round pick......lmfao

Avatar
#23 Spydyr
June 29 2014, 11:43PM
Trash it!
21
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

The fact that you see NHL players as permanently holding a static value based on their draft number is hilarious.

Perhaps your reading comprehension could use some help see:

Those assets can go up or down in value and they do.

and

Good teams buy low and sell high bad teams buy high and sell low.

What I am presenting is the initial investment cost as compared to the value of the investment when it is sold.

Avatar
#24 PutzStew
June 29 2014, 11:26PM
Trash it!
20
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers
camdog wrote:

Jordan Eberle - 22nd overall, 2008 nhl draft.

My Bad.

2007-2009.

5 1st round picks, 1 NHL player on the Team.

If you want to be proud of this please feel free too. In my eyes it is still a disappointment.

Avatar
#25 Spydyr
June 29 2014, 11:27PM
Trash it!
20
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Zarny wrote:

You talk as if your made up currency and accounting is real. The #1 pick isn't worth 210. The #10 pick isn't worth 200 in comparison. That's just a value system you made up.

Well of course it is made up it was as much as I could dumb it down.

To present it in the simplest terms possible.

Avatar
#26 PutzStew
June 29 2014, 09:43PM
Trash it!
19
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers
etownman wrote:

A larger Hemsky with not quite as much one on one skill! Like this trade, if Draisaitl shows well at camp, Perron & Purcell would look good as wingers.

Because throwing kids to fire has worked so good so far.

Please do it. Make sure Yak is on the 3rd line. Oilers have way to many 1 round picks playing to well for them. The sunk Gagner and PRV, Nash and Plante never showed up. They might be able to kill to birds this year by rushing Draisaiti and pushing Yak down the same path they sent Gagner. Bravo Oiles, Bravo.

Prospects, Coaches, Arenas, Fan Relations....Nothing says miss-development like the Edmonton Oilers.

Avatar
#27 PutzStew
June 29 2014, 11:30PM
Trash it!
19
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

The fact that you see NHL players as permanently holding a static value based on their draft number is hilarious.

So is avoiding the obvious fact that Oilers have not been able to develop talent in a really long time as well as their much talked about Buy high, Sell low acts that they frequently seem to do.

Avatar
#28 Jeffff
June 29 2014, 08:34PM
Trash it!
18
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Jason Gregor wrote:

Don't care what one quote says.

Purcell played 6th most minutes of any TB forward last year. He averaged 16:27/game, so saying he is a 4th liner is simply incorrect.

Did he play there for a few games, you bet, but so did Yakupov. Are you calling him a 4th liner too.

Gagner had struggled, no one should expect he was going to fetch a great, consistent player in return, but don't try to make Purcell look like a 4th liner.

I guess we will wait and see.

I was not talking about the return. I was hoping they would trade Gagner but give him another 1/2 year or so, because Oilers are selling at a low.

Avatar
#29 michael
June 29 2014, 08:31PM
Trash it!
17
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

gregordo you see the Oilers trading for a bad contract this week and future considerations. They have 2 compliance buyouts left do they not?

Avatar
#30 Al
June 29 2014, 08:32PM
Trash it!
17
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

Agree with your take on it. The past season for Gags and the team was a disaster and unfortunately the young centre ended up taking more than his share of the blame. I think at this stage he will take a significant step forward in his progression towards being a solid two way professional. His ability to shine in shoot outs will certainly be appreciated by his new team. It wasn't long ago that he was being toured as the next Oilers captain because of his leadership skills. I wish we could have got more in return and Oilers fans are going to disappointed with Purcells lack of physicality.

Avatar
#31 Stack Pad Save
June 29 2014, 08:33PM
Trash it!
17
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

I don't know if this the happiest day of my life on the Nation, or if I am devastated. Who will my new GOAT be? Who will I direct all my vitriol at?

Plus he is ending up in Arizona, even better, the Oilers will pad some stats there!

Avatar
#32 Spydyr
June 29 2014, 09:40PM
Trash it!
17
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers
Wax Man Riley wrote:

Putz, you're wrong. It was PRV and a 2nd for Perron.

If you traded for Weber, you wouldn't be trading for a #49 overall 2nd rounder.

Yes you would and you would be getting one heck of a return on the 49th pick that is all Weber cost.That is how teams get better.

The Oilers are the experts on diminishing assets.

Avatar
#33 Spydyr
June 29 2014, 10:37PM
Trash it!
17
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers

The NHL has spoken.Gagners worth is less than a 6th round pick.

Avatar
#34 CMG30
June 30 2014, 07:36AM
Trash it!
17
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

Risky move by MacT trading Gagner when his value is lowest. Comparing their relative performances last year it would appear that Edmonton did get the upgrade, but there is every possibility that Gagner may thrive in his new surroundings making this look less like a deal and more like theft.

Avatar
#35 They're $hittie
June 29 2014, 08:26PM
Trash it!
16
trashes
Cheers
28
cheers

@Spydyr

Sam will be playing with competent defence now, he will be much better than with our crappy d

Avatar
#36 Former Notre Dame Hound
June 29 2014, 11:14PM
Trash it!
16
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

Praise all the angels in heaven..I have finally got the cure for my Gagneritous...horrible disease...I am cured...Gag's was the perfect nickname...what a pussy, thank you once again MacT...there is now hope...

Avatar
#37 Serious Gord
June 29 2014, 11:24PM
Trash it!
16
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers
PutzStew wrote:

You know what in the end anyone in Oilers Management, the media or what not should be fired for say there is anything good about this trade.

This is a failure in the fact that the currently have 0 players at the NHL level from the 2008 and 2009 drafts on this team. They had 4 1st round picks during this time.

Focus on that not the fact that another so called problem disappeared.

Excellent point - has anyone been fired on the scouting team?

Avatar
#38 PutzStew
June 29 2014, 10:44PM
Trash it!
15
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
DoubleJ wrote:

Pretty sure we should judge the line up after free agency. I doubt MacT is done.

Fully agree with you. There will be a ton of veterans that are trending downward and looking for one last over payment, before retirement or recreational hockey in Europe. I hear Belanger and Smyth are promoting it.

Avatar
#39 PutzStew
June 29 2014, 11:04PM
Trash it!
15
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

Gagners value includes his contract that is his worth.He just got traded with another player for a 6th round pick that is his value at the moment.It is what the market dictated he was worth.

You know what in the end anyone in Oilers Management, the media or what not should be fired for say there is anything good about this trade.

This is a failure in the fact that the currently have 0 players at the NHL level from the 2008 and 2009 drafts on this team. They had 4 1st round picks during this time.

Focus on that not the fact that another so called problem disappeared.

Avatar
#40 PutzStew
June 29 2014, 09:55PM
Trash it!
14
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers
Wax Man Riley wrote:

Putz, you're wrong. It was PRV and a 2nd for Perron.

If you traded for Weber, you wouldn't be trading for a #49 overall 2nd rounder.

No I'm right.

They Picked up PRV at #10 pick, in the 2009 draft. He was highly rated but the Oilers were not able to develop him into the functional NHL player he was projected to be. He was then traded, at a low value for functional player, developed by another team, in a salary dump trade.

Point of the story is not that the Oilers traded a non NHL player and a 2nd for a usable NHL player, it is that the non NHL player should have been a NHL player is he was an organization that had a clue how to develop players.

The fact of the matter is that the Oilers screwed up another draft pick with high potential, but some people refuse to acknowledge this, and instead choose to praise the Oilers for getting out of a situation they should not have been in.

See Cogliano, more recently Gagner, soon to be Yakupov for further references

Avatar
#41 hockeycrazed
June 30 2014, 07:45AM
Trash it!
14
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

People just doesn't get it! If hall's 5 years service became the longest servicing oilers on the team, what does that tell you? Misfortune? Mismanagement?! Look at all the players that the Oil traded away in the last 5 years, most of them played better with their respective teams, and mark my word Gagner will too!

Avatar
#42 Paul
June 29 2014, 08:48PM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

So am I to assume our current lineup looks something like this?

Hall -- RNH -- Eberle Perron -- Arcobello -- Purcell Joensuu -- Draisaitl -- Yakupov Lander -- Gordon -- Hendricks

Marincin -- Petry Nikitin -- Schultz Ference -- Klefbom Fraser

Scrivens Fasth

The top 6 is maybe better than last year based on: -Arcobello being far and away our 2nd best centerman last year (despite what the coaching staff believed); -Purcell being worse than Hemsky; and -The HOPE that our top line of kids should be better.

I like my made up bottom six better than what the 2013-14 Oilers ran with. That 3rd line should be good for many LOLs.

Defense looks...well I hope Scrivens & Fasth are fantastic!

And for Gagner, best of luck to you! Hard to believe he's only 24 with seven seasons under his belt. Perhaps if Tambellini hadn't completely botched his contract, he may still be an Oiler...or MacT could have gained more in the trade.

Avatar
#43 Spydyr
June 29 2014, 09:53PM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
Wax Man Riley wrote:

That makes no sense at all.

If that were the case, you would honestly trade Weber for Barker.

You would be getting a #3 for a #49. That's a great deal! Hey, y'know I got this great bridge you might like...

Don't get me wrong, The Oilers are f'n brutal and some people gotta go! Smith and Bucky were good starts, but let's keep going.

Just don't turn flawed logic into an excuse to just spew hate.

Hate......you are delusional.

Here is the logic.PVR cost the Oilers and 10th overall pick.That was the cost to the team.They traded that asset the 10th overall pick they no longer have that asset.

The cost for Weber was a 49th overall pick.If they trade Weber the cost to the team was the 49th pick.If they trade him they will turn that 49th pick in many good things.

Barker is an example of a diminishing asset Weber a asset that has gained value.

The trick is to improve your assets not diminish them.

That means good picks and player development.

Avatar
#44 PutzStew
June 29 2014, 10:16PM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
Taylor Gang wrote:

If only it was as clear cut as you put it.

That's why players like Daigle and Stefan get drafted first overall and players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg get drafted in the 7th and 6th rounds.

Prospects Like Cogliano, Brodsiak, Gagner disprove your point. I also went back a few years and looked at the drafts. Considering 2010** was the official rebuild kick off they currently have 1 NHL caliber player from that draft.

Now before you say "Yeh nut Lowetide says you need 5 year to grade a draft. I would expect a team rebuilding would have had a few players at the NHL level already, like the Ducks and Panthers.

If you want to look at the 2009 and 2008 drafts, Edmonton currently has no players, at the NHL level with the team.

Yep must be just unlucky picks like Daigle and Wax Man Riley. No way it could be the development of the team. it has to be unlucky history, right Spydyr??

History leads me to believe that it is not just bad luck.

**depends on which version you wish to believe. If one really wanted you might be able to claim that this is currently version 9.6 or something crazy like that.

Avatar
#45 dougtheslug
June 30 2014, 12:22AM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers

Among the many failings of the worst run professional sports franchise in North America, has been a pro scouting staff that seems to be utterly incapable of correctly evaluating the worth of a player. Hence, the terrible signings and wasteful trades (Eric Belanger, Ben Eager, Darcy Hordichuk, Jerred Smithson, Jason Labarbera, Jesse Joensuu, etc,), the misses(Glencross, Brodziak), the lack of due diligence (Ryan Whitney) and the overpayments (Horcoff, Hemsky, Gagner).

So we should be very suspicious when a hockey man as shrewd as Steve Yzerman unloads a player who has fallen off as precipitously as Teddy Purcell did last year for what amounts to a sixth round pick (is that what Gagner is worth in the eyes of the rest of the NHL?)

Did the Oilers do their due diligence? What's the deal with Purcell's drop in production? Injury? Bad Luck? Off ice issues?

Time will tell. But history suggests prepare for the worst.

Avatar
#46 madjam
June 30 2014, 06:45AM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

A salary dump to Oilers in return for Gagner ? MacT. assesses , and is thrilled with Gagner and offers him a huge contract . A year later he realizes/thinks his assessment was in error . However , now he takes on another big contract that was a salary dump from Tampa . Is his assessment any better this time ?

I wonder if Gags will be fighting Samuelson (Oil Kings ) over a center spot in Phoenix ? Will Gags blossom in Phoenix -he might .

Avatar
#47 Thinker
June 29 2014, 08:44PM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

So who do we rip on now? I hope it's not king jordan. I hope its that fing petry (like the numbers, see him bad).

Avatar
#48 HongKongHockeyFan
June 29 2014, 09:53PM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

I am wondering if the Oilers would have been better off trading Sam to Arizona for a 6th rounder and saving the cap space? And in turn using the cap space to go after...

Avatar
#49 PutzStew
June 29 2014, 10:58PM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Wax Man Riley wrote:

I wasn't debating whether The Oilers were good or bad at developing. We all know the answer to that. 30+30+29+24+28= the worst run franchise in pro sport.

What I'm saying is that the trade was PRV and a 2nd. Not a #10 and a 2nd. What number he was picked at when he was traded is irrelevant. The player he was at the time is.

If I have Cam Barker, and you have Mark Streit, and we trade, I get the better player.

You don't win the trade because you got the #3 and I got #262.

Spyder See above.

Barker Again. Who care who win the trade because that is not the point. If you are concerned with the trade alone then don't was anymore braincells relying to this. I don't care what place he was drafted, who won the trade, Baker, Streit or any other defencemen who's name should never be mentioned on this site again.

It does not matter who won the trade. The Oilers added yet another of a long list of high draft picks or prospects that failed to reach expectations before they were ran out of town. PRV (among others) should have been a player fans would have been pissed to see leave town. In the end he was a guy that was traded with another asset, in a salary dump trade that is being commended but some as a really great thing.

No it is not a great thing because they failed (yet again) in developing a high draft pick with high potential into anything but a bit part.

Avatar
#50 Former Notre Dame Hound
June 29 2014, 11:14PM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

Praise all the angels in heaven..I have finally got the cure for my Gagneritous...horrible disease...I am cured...Gag's was the perfect nickname...what a pussy, thank you once again MacT...there is now hope...

Comments are closed for this article.