Edmonton Oilers qualify everyone... except Taylor Fedun

Jonathan Willis
June 30 2014 04:18PM

81-Fedun-2

The Edmonton Oilers issued qualifying offers to their restricted free agents on Monday, and for the most part they stayed the course. Every single RFA received a contract, with one exception: defenceman Taylor Fedun.

We can break these players into categories.

Justin Schultz

In the "no surprise" department we find Justin Schultz and Jeff Petry, bona fide NHL defenders who were not going to be given a shot at free agency. We can toss Luke Gazdic into this group too, because while his value to the team is somewhat debatable there was never any question that the Oilers were going to opt to keep him. 

12-Horak-1

A couple of players are "can't hurt" qualifying decisions. The choice to issue offers to Philip Larsen and Roman Horak falls under that category. Both players are heading to the KHL for 2014-15, so they won't take a spot on the Oilers' 50-man list and this decision simply ensures that Edmonton retains their rights. 

30-Bachman-3

Richard Bachman fills a role as the Oilers' No. 3 goalie. Nobody in the system is close to replacing him and he's a nice fit in that slot, so it makes sense to keep him. Andrew Miller had an uneven first pro campaign but showed some signs along the way. Tyler Pitlick has struggled with injuries but looks close to NHL-ready. These are all players it makes sense to re-sign. 

Curtis Hamilton is in the same group, but the rationale for signing him is a little more questionable. He's had injury problems, but even when healthy he hasn't been all that good. He didn't even flirt with call-up status last season; he was outperformed by a long list of Barons. The Oilers clearly don't want to give up on him, but he hasn't shown a thing as a professional and the team has been waiting three years; players like this get cut loose all the time. 

And Fedun?

81-Fedun-1

There simply wasn't a belief in the Oilers' organization that Fedun was an NHL player.

The feeling was that while Fedun's smarts were NHL-calibre, there wasn't a future for a small defenceman with mediocre foot speed at the major league level. 

It's an understandable assessment. I think it's an unfortunate one because Fedun excelled in the AHL and didn't get the kind of NHL opportunity afforded to less deserving players (Philip Larsen got a long look after it was clear he wasn't helping; Mark Fraser later in the year) and there was some possibility that he could have been a cheap 'tweener defenceman. 

But, it's also hard to be overly critical of the Oilers here. Even if all went well, Fedun wasn't going to be a top-four defender, so Edmonton's not making a huge mistake here even if Fedun emerges as an NHL player.

With that said: It's a shame the Oilers didn't give him a longer look last season.  

RECENTLY BY JONATHAN WILLIS

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, Sportsnet, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#51 TigerUnderGlass
June 30 2014, 05:40PM
Trash it!
15
trashes
Cheers
26
cheers

@PutzStew

1. Would you rather he do something stupid so he could point to it and say "look how bold we are" for every idiot in the city of Edmonton who grasps on the word bold for a year because he once said he'd like to do something bold? Move on.

2.Same reasoning as #1 regarding Hemsky.

3. You have no idea which one is the better coach. None. Krueger was no veteran when he was hired either and he was the coach who left a team full of NHL players behind who couldn't grasp, as people like you put it, an AHL system.

4. Why should we care how someone was fired? It makes no difference, and frankly we have no real right to know.

5. Would the team have been better without trying those guys? Have they hurt anything long term? When the players you want aren't available you try what you can without hurting the future. He did that. Every team in the league signs bad players because sometimes those bad players turn out. I notice aren't losing your mind over SJ taking Brown.

Avatar
#52 madjam
June 30 2014, 05:40PM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

Poll question : What is the better bargain overall and best for the club : Trash for signing someone that got bought out , or Cheers for overpaying a UFA .

Tomorrow starts UFA"s signings .

Avatar
#53 madjam
June 30 2014, 05:43PM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
25
cheers

We should see just how busy and successful MacT. is going to be as UFA'S signings begin tomorrow , Survey : Cheers if we will be part of the early signings tomorrow , and Trash if not .

Avatar
#54 Smokey
June 30 2014, 05:46PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers
2004Z06 wrote:

Miller and Larsen but not Fedun? What the hell did this kid do wrong?

Below average size and speed trumps decent hockey sense and work ethic. He's a 26 old tweener, with a ceiling of a 6/7 defender.

Simpson, Klefbom, Gernat, Nurse, and that new college kid I cant remember have a higher ceiling and need time to develop. The Oilers did Fedun a favor, maybe he finds a team that needs a tweener, AHL vet or AHL leader. Maybe he gets a shot elsewhere. Its good news for Fedun.

Avatar
#55 Spydyr
June 30 2014, 05:47PM
Trash it!
18
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

1. Would you rather he do something stupid so he could point to it and say "look how bold we are" for every idiot in the city of Edmonton who grasps on the word bold for a year because he once said he'd like to do something bold? Move on.

2.Same reasoning as #1 regarding Hemsky.

3. You have no idea which one is the better coach. None. Krueger was no veteran when he was hired either and he was the coach who left a team full of NHL players behind who couldn't grasp, as people like you put it, an AHL system.

4. Why should we care how someone was fired? It makes no difference, and frankly we have no real right to know.

5. Would the team have been better without trying those guys? Have they hurt anything long term? When the players you want aren't available you try what you can without hurting the future. He did that. Every team in the league signs bad players because sometimes those bad players turn out. I notice aren't losing your mind over SJ taking Brown.

I'll just pick one for fun.

3. You have no idea which one is the better coach. None. Krueger was no veteran when he was hired either and he was the coach who left a team full of NHL players behind who couldn't grasp, as people like you put it, an AHL system.

Krueger led a team without a real training camp into the season.That team had the number one powerplay for a good part of the season.That team played only the tougher western conference teams and ended 24th overall.Krueger then went on to work for team Canada at the Olympics where everyone involved praised him.He now works for one of the Top soccer organizations and gets nothing but praise again.

Eakins took a 24th place team with the core being one year older mangled the power play destroyed Yak called for accountability but only with certain players others none.He led that team to third last place.

If that is not enough reason why Krueger was better than Eakins.One word "swarm".

Avatar
#56 Wintoon
June 30 2014, 05:58PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
26
cheers

All this pissing and moaning about a guy who has is being pushed down the depth chart by numerous young D prospects. Take a deep breath. Management made a decision. Live with it.

Avatar
#57 Wintoon
June 30 2014, 05:58PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
17
cheers

All this pissing and moaning about a guy who has is being pushed down the depth chart by numerous young D prospects. Take a deep breath. Management made a decision. Live with it.

Avatar
#58 Evilas
June 30 2014, 05:58PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Dan 1919 wrote:

HAHAHAHa!!

Thank you for that, seriously

You think anyone in their right mind would do this, of course not. And that is EXACTLY why Philly will be the dance partner.

Given the current cap crunch teams like Philly and Boston are in, this type of thing is going to happen.

I guess you haven't been paying attention lately

Avatar
#59 DAVE
June 30 2014, 06:00PM
Trash it!
17
trashes
Cheers
31
cheers

Fedun is closer to being an NHL player than Eakins is a NHL coach.

Avatar
#60 TigerUnderGlass
June 30 2014, 06:06PM
Trash it!
16
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

I'll just pick one for fun.

3. You have no idea which one is the better coach. None. Krueger was no veteran when he was hired either and he was the coach who left a team full of NHL players behind who couldn't grasp, as people like you put it, an AHL system.

Krueger led a team without a real training camp into the season.That team had the number one powerplay for a good part of the season.That team played only the tougher western conference teams and ended 24th overall.Krueger then went on to work for team Canada at the Olympics where everyone involved praised him.He now works for one of the Top soccer organizations and gets nothing but praise again.

Eakins took a 24th place team with the core being one year older mangled the power play destroyed Yak called for accountability but only with certain players others none.He led that team to third last place.

If that is not enough reason why Krueger was better than Eakins.One word "swarm".

You mean that phenomenal PP that didn't actually generate any more shots than the PP before or after and relied entirely on an unsustainable shooting percentage? The same PP that reasonable people predicted would crash back to earth?

You mean the same team Canada group that regularly includes Kevin Lowe as an expert? What did they praise him about? They must have made him coach right? I have no idea what praise regarding his current job earns him in terms of "good hockey coach".

Eakins has received plenty of praise in his career. I just don't understand why you're rating coaches based on "praise".

It's also cute how you tried to pretend there is a big difference between 24th and 28th by using the phrase "third last". Aren't you a clever child.

Eakins has his flaws, but so did Krueger and so does every coach. Deciding a coach is incompetent because his new team is full of players incapable of managing a pretty simple system makes no sense.

I'd have been just as happy to keep Krueger, but thinking that YOU know who is better based on your comments above is insane.

Avatar
#61 Spydyr
June 30 2014, 06:09PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

You mean that phenomenal PP that didn't actually generate any more shots than the PP before or after and relied entirely on an unsustainable shooting percentage? The same PP that reasonable people predicted would crash back to earth?

You mean the same team Canada group that regularly includes Kevin Lowe as an expert? What did they praise him about? They must have made him coach right? I have no idea what praise regarding his current job earns him in terms of "good hockey coach".

Eakins has received plenty of praise in his career. I just don't understand why you're rating coaches based on "praise".

It's also cute how you tried to pretend there is a big difference between 24th and 28th by using the phrase "third last". Aren't you a clever child.

Eakins has his flaws, but so did Krueger and so does every coach. Deciding a coach is incompetent because his new team is full of players incapable of managing a pretty simple system makes no sense.

I'd have been just as happy to keep Krueger, but thinking that YOU know who is better based on your comments above is insane.

If saying a coach is better because he treated his players with more respect acted professionally(even after being fired via Skype) did not throw young players under the bus, led a younger team against tougher competition to better results is insane.Call me crazy.

Avatar
#62 freelancer
June 30 2014, 06:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers

He wasn't going to have a chance to play meaningful minutes for Edmonton. Now he has a chance to be signed by a team where he can. I wish him all the best

Avatar
#63 Sparky Blue
June 30 2014, 06:22PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

@Spydyr

Ok am not suggesting he is the second coming but some of these bloggers think Edmonton is intrinsically equal to San Jose or New York. We must admit we are a bad team in a place that many millionaires don't want to reside.

Avatar
#64 Oiler Al
June 30 2014, 06:27PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers

I think Fedun was a mercy release. No one was going to give up a player for him, so as to give him a chance through a wide open door to latch on to another team.

He is too slow and small for the Pacific Div.

Rumor mill has it that there are "sniffs" on Petry. Is it possible MacT has a bigger fish coming this way? Clearing the decks so to speak.

PS: Curtis Hamilton must have some good pictures of an Oiler honcho., why else would MacT qualify this slug.

Avatar
#65 Wintoon
June 30 2014, 06:32PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

Actually millionaires do want to live in Alberta. On $5 million dollar contract a player pays about $800,000 less in taxes per year compared to Montreal or LA.

Purcell, on his current contract will have about $100,000 more in his jeans each year than if he continued playing in Florida and Florida doesn't even have state taxes.

Avatar
#66 Woogie63
June 30 2014, 06:35PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

Smid + Fedun = make the hard choices, good on the GM

Miller + Hamilton + Larson = plugging up the system with bad contracts

One step forward....

Avatar
#67 PutzStew
June 30 2014, 06:35PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Evilas wrote:

I am guessing something like: Petry, Gazdic, Arcobello and Musil - Roughly $7 million

to Philly for Lecavalier, B.Schenn, L.Schenn, and Coburn $15.1 million

Which gives Philly about $8 million in cap space

Hall-RNH-Ebs DP-VL-TP AL-BS-Yak MH-BG-SP JJ

BC - X MM-JS NN-LS AF

X - Winger, maybe Pitlick, maybe Winnick X -1st RD, maybe Mark Fayne

Not quite there, but better….

Please take the time to post more often and in more places. TSN, Sportsnet, HFboards everywhere they talk hockey, you should be posting.

In fact Oilers fans with this mentality should be clogging up hockey boards everywhere, letting the word of a true Oilers fan be known.It should be shared and not just kept for such a small crowd.

By sharing it you would be making the world a better place because people like can read it and feel better about themselves knowing that there are people out there with far more deeper and desperate issues then themselves and that their live could indeed be that much worst.

Thank you what ever your name is for making the world a better place.

Avatar
#68 Evilas
June 30 2014, 06:39PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Evilas wrote:

You think anyone in their right mind would do this, of course not. And that is EXACTLY why Philly will be the dance partner.

Given the current cap crunch teams like Philly and Boston are in, this type of thing is going to happen.

I guess you haven't been paying attention lately

Silly Season Part 2

FORWARDS Taylor Hall ($6.000m) / Ryan Nugent-Hopkins ($6.000m) / Jordan Eberle ($6.000m) David Perron ($3.813m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Teddy Purcell ($4.500m) Jesse Joensuu ($0.950m) / Brayden Schenn ($2.500m) / Nail Yakupov ($0.925m) Matt Hendricks ($1.850m) / Boyd Gordon ($3.000m) / Steve Pinizzotto ($0.650m) Anton Lander ($0.600m) DEFENSEMEN Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Justin Schultz ($2.800m) Nikita Nikitin ($4.500m) / Mark Fayne ($3.250m) Andrew Ference ($3.250m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m) Deryk Engelland ($0.650m) GOALTENDERS Ben Scrivens ($2.300m) Chad Johnson ($0.850m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter) (estimations for 2014-15) SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,987,500; BONUSES: $2,850,000 CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,012,500

Trade Petry, Fasth, Musil, Gazdic, Arcobello for Lecavalier, the Schenn Bros and Coburn - giving Philly a few mill in cap space, otherwise Fayne couldn't be signed. Philly would probably want a draft pick thrown in as well.

Chad Johnson from the Bruins would be the target to replace Fasth and could be a good value deal.

Doubt this happens, but if it did now there is Size at C and we have a lot more experience on D….but something like this very well could happen…

Avatar
#69 Evilas
June 30 2014, 06:54PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers
PutzStew wrote:

Please take the time to post more often and in more places. TSN, Sportsnet, HFboards everywhere they talk hockey, you should be posting.

In fact Oilers fans with this mentality should be clogging up hockey boards everywhere, letting the word of a true Oilers fan be known.It should be shared and not just kept for such a small crowd.

By sharing it you would be making the world a better place because people like can read it and feel better about themselves knowing that there are people out there with far more deeper and desperate issues then themselves and that their live could indeed be that much worst.

Thank you what ever your name is for making the world a better place.

I do this for entertainment and to share thoughts with my fellow Oiler fans. It is nice to have hope/dreams, that is all we have. These last few days are the time period that have been the highlight of the year for Oilers fans and we have continually had our souls crushed by disappointment year after year.

This is like Christmas time to me and I am excited at the possibilities out there, and these possibilities that I am postulating are not "out there". For the past few Christmases Oiler fans have been given coal, I am hoping this Christmas there is a shiny new bike waiting for me (in your case maybe you are hoping for an anatomically correct inflatable sheep).

This is Oilersnation not Insults Anonymous, perhaps you need to find somewhere else to spend your time.

Avatar
#70 PutzStew
June 30 2014, 06:57PM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

1. Would you rather he do something stupid so he could point to it and say "look how bold we are" for every idiot in the city of Edmonton who grasps on the word bold for a year because he once said he'd like to do something bold? Move on.

2.Same reasoning as #1 regarding Hemsky.

3. You have no idea which one is the better coach. None. Krueger was no veteran when he was hired either and he was the coach who left a team full of NHL players behind who couldn't grasp, as people like you put it, an AHL system.

4. Why should we care how someone was fired? It makes no difference, and frankly we have no real right to know.

5. Would the team have been better without trying those guys? Have they hurt anything long term? When the players you want aren't available you try what you can without hurting the future. He did that. Every team in the league signs bad players because sometimes those bad players turn out. I notice aren't losing your mind over SJ taking Brown.

You are gonna make this easy for me.

1&2 Nope but if he had any experience he would have kept his mouth shut. He played to the press/fans by declaring a bold move and insulted two player by saying they were going to be traded, then booting one of them. This is Mike Gillies quality of management here folks. He should have not said a thing regarding "Bold Moves and kept the Horcoff/Hemsky thing out of the media. Very rookie mistake.

3 So would like to argue where each team finished and performances of players under Kruger vs Eakins? If you do I let you go at it because you lost by even bringing it up.

4 Sorry that you have not learn the meaning of "Classy". Unfortunately it is a thing that lack a large number of people living in Edmonton.

5a So put Hall and Co. though another losing year won't effect them? Yep bet they were so pleased with the way the season went and the class and professionalism show by the management.

Side note: Wonder if Hall congratulated Gagner on his luck being moved to a better organization.

5b Forgot about Brown. Can't say it was bad or good. Well it was really good for him though. Gets to leave Edmonton where he was not being used and goes to one of the more highly toughed teams in the West. Bet he didn't mind.

Avatar
#71 Fresh Mess
June 30 2014, 06:57PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

Del Zotto not qualified, will be UFA.

Avatar
#72 NJ
June 30 2014, 06:59PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

Fact: nobody know if Fedun has a ceiling of 6/7 defender. He's played by my count 4 NHL games. He scored 2 goals in those games. He was the Barons best D man last year as stated by Willis in many articles. Quit telling anyone about a player you haven't seen or know anything about.

I bet there were a few of you who watched him break his leg on YouTube. Those same ones thought he'd never play again. So, go ahead, say that he can't be better than a 6 or 7, and I'll laugh when he proves you all wrong again. Having played with Taylor, I can tell you that he had no quit and he takes the game seriously.

Yes, this is the best thing for Fedun to move on to a real NHL club... But until he has the same cameo that the rest of our AHL d men have gotten, I won't pass judgment.

Clearly 2 goals in 4 games means he doesn't has NHL speed and any of those qualified or further signed are better.

LOL.

I guess we look forward to draft again this year but I'm excited to follow this story.

Avatar
#73 PutzStew
June 30 2014, 07:02PM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Evilas wrote:

I do this for entertainment and to share thoughts with my fellow Oiler fans. It is nice to have hope/dreams, that is all we have. These last few days are the time period that have been the highlight of the year for Oilers fans and we have continually had our souls crushed by disappointment year after year.

This is like Christmas time to me and I am excited at the possibilities out there, and these possibilities that I am postulating are not "out there". For the past few Christmases Oiler fans have been given coal, I am hoping this Christmas there is a shiny new bike waiting for me (in your case maybe you are hoping for an anatomically correct inflatable sheep).

This is Oilersnation not Insults Anonymous, perhaps you need to find somewhere else to spend your time.

How do you take my encouraging as insulting. I want you to spread the humor, after all doesn't laughter make the world go round.

Avatar
#74 Evilas
June 30 2014, 07:06PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers
PutzStew wrote:

How do you take my encouraging as insulting. I want you to spread the humor, after all doesn't laughter make the world go round.

Your negative commentary does not register as humourous. There is enough of that on this planet already, which makes me question what planet you live on.

Avatar
#75 15w40
June 30 2014, 07:23PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

Fedun sure looks like he is good people.

Hopefully he catches on with somebody else and that was the Oilers' motivation for releasing him.

If he wanted to stick around and they just cut him loose because and then qualified others like Larsen, then that raises my eyebrows a little.

Fedun to me was a perfect fit for a #7 Dman and a real stand up citizen for the amount of time he spends in OKC with other players coming up. Who better to mentor these guys about dedication and perseverance than somebody that has had to run his gauntlet to get where he is.

Mechanical Engineering Degree from Princeton and a decent hockey player. That's who you want showing these younger guys (not that he is old) what it takes to actually be dedicated to a goal.

Good Luck Taylor Fedun

Avatar
#76 Jasmine
June 30 2014, 08:19PM
Trash it!
18
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Krueger ruined Ryan Whitney's career as well as Ryan Jones career and who know how many more careers he would have destroyed had he stayed longer. Don't forget Krueger benched players for fighting as he didn't want players fighting.

Avatar
#77 Joy S. Lee
June 30 2014, 09:07PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
PutzStew wrote:

You are gonna make this easy for me.

1&2 Nope but if he had any experience he would have kept his mouth shut. He played to the press/fans by declaring a bold move and insulted two player by saying they were going to be traded, then booting one of them. This is Mike Gillies quality of management here folks. He should have not said a thing regarding "Bold Moves and kept the Horcoff/Hemsky thing out of the media. Very rookie mistake.

3 So would like to argue where each team finished and performances of players under Kruger vs Eakins? If you do I let you go at it because you lost by even bringing it up.

4 Sorry that you have not learn the meaning of "Classy". Unfortunately it is a thing that lack a large number of people living in Edmonton.

5a So put Hall and Co. though another losing year won't effect them? Yep bet they were so pleased with the way the season went and the class and professionalism show by the management.

Side note: Wonder if Hall congratulated Gagner on his luck being moved to a better organization.

5b Forgot about Brown. Can't say it was bad or good. Well it was really good for him though. Gets to leave Edmonton where he was not being used and goes to one of the more highly toughed teams in the West. Bet he didn't mind.

You're an ass. I hope you don't live here, or that makes you a complete moron. You don't deserve Edmonton, it's people, or it's benefits. Go back to wherever you came from.

Avatar
#78 Loweblows
June 30 2014, 09:40PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
PutzStew wrote:

You are gonna make this easy for me.

1&2 Nope but if he had any experience he would have kept his mouth shut. He played to the press/fans by declaring a bold move and insulted two player by saying they were going to be traded, then booting one of them. This is Mike Gillies quality of management here folks. He should have not said a thing regarding "Bold Moves and kept the Horcoff/Hemsky thing out of the media. Very rookie mistake.

3 So would like to argue where each team finished and performances of players under Kruger vs Eakins? If you do I let you go at it because you lost by even bringing it up.

4 Sorry that you have not learn the meaning of "Classy". Unfortunately it is a thing that lack a large number of people living in Edmonton.

5a So put Hall and Co. though another losing year won't effect them? Yep bet they were so pleased with the way the season went and the class and professionalism show by the management.

Side note: Wonder if Hall congratulated Gagner on his luck being moved to a better organization.

5b Forgot about Brown. Can't say it was bad or good. Well it was really good for him though. Gets to leave Edmonton where he was not being used and goes to one of the more highly toughed teams in the West. Bet he didn't mind.

Because insulting people is classy. So what city is is that you are from where it is "classy" to insult people. Classy oxymoron.

Avatar
#79 TigerUnderGlass
June 30 2014, 10:56PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Jasmine wrote:

Krueger ruined Ryan Whitney's career as well as Ryan Jones career and who know how many more careers he would have destroyed had he stayed longer. Don't forget Krueger benched players for fighting as he didn't want players fighting.

Whitney's career was ruined by the unfortunate problem with his feet.

Jones' career was ruined by the unfortunate problem of being Ryan Jones.

Nothing to do with Krueger.

Avatar
#80 TigerUnderGlass
June 30 2014, 11:24PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
PutzStew wrote:

You are gonna make this easy for me.

1&2 Nope but if he had any experience he would have kept his mouth shut. He played to the press/fans by declaring a bold move and insulted two player by saying they were going to be traded, then booting one of them. This is Mike Gillies quality of management here folks. He should have not said a thing regarding "Bold Moves and kept the Horcoff/Hemsky thing out of the media. Very rookie mistake.

3 So would like to argue where each team finished and performances of players under Kruger vs Eakins? If you do I let you go at it because you lost by even bringing it up.

4 Sorry that you have not learn the meaning of "Classy". Unfortunately it is a thing that lack a large number of people living in Edmonton.

5a So put Hall and Co. though another losing year won't effect them? Yep bet they were so pleased with the way the season went and the class and professionalism show by the management.

Side note: Wonder if Hall congratulated Gagner on his luck being moved to a better organization.

5b Forgot about Brown. Can't say it was bad or good. Well it was really good for him though. Gets to leave Edmonton where he was not being used and goes to one of the more highly toughed teams in the West. Bet he didn't mind.

People like to talk about how McTavish made some sort of mistake by saying something about what he wanted to do, but it doesn't matter. It changed nothing. He chose to speak frankly, so what? Now guys like you get to say things like, "is that bold MacT hurhurhur?" and "what about the bold you promised?" you should be happy.

Your belief that those guys were insulted is false.

I've already discussed how Krueger's team rode a hot PP to a marginally better record. What else do you want? Do you want to discuss the difference in goaltending performance and how Dubnyk sank the team early? Did Eakins cause that too?

I don't know what "Unfortunately it is a thing that lack a large number of people living in Edmonton" means.

Avatar
#81 Kevin Blow
July 01 2014, 12:54AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

@TigerUnderGlass

Easy there Tiger. None of the managment in this organization deserves the roles they have been assigned to. Just because you played in the league without a helmet for 20 years doesn't make you a general manager. He was an average coach. I unlike some of you kool aid drinkers don't like losing.

Avatar
#82 Seanaconda
July 01 2014, 02:04AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

@Kevin Blow

Average coach ?? The man that made the Oilers look sort of competent the entire time he was coaching ?? And then when we hired the better coach quinn to solve all our problems we dropped to last place ?? I think Craig did sort of a good job

Avatar
#83 hockeycrazed
July 01 2014, 06:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

You know what, I am beginning to think that the oiler Brass must read this column! Or at the least assigned someone to read this column, and find out what the fan thinks, and then, do the opposite just to prove they can.... I can't think of any professional team of any sport, would give up on players with tremendous work ethics, results! Whereas, keeping the ones that don't, have you????

Avatar
#84 camdog
July 01 2014, 08:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

"I think it's an unfortunate one because Fedun excelled in the AHL and didn't get the kind of NHL opportunity afforded to less deserving players (Philip Larsen got a long look after it was clear he wasn't helping;"

"But, it's also hard to be overly critical of the Oilers here."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- With the season over I was very disappointed that he didn't get to string together 6-7 games in a row. It would have been nice to watch a guy that cared in the last games of the season, especially after he came back from that injury. The Oilers way is to play guys with skill and no heart, that's what I have found most disappointing about the past 8 years. Maybe it's because I associate more with the Marchant, Grier, Moreau types, but if I have to watch another season of skilled guys who don't care, I am going to be pissed.

As to not resigning Fedun, the writing was on the wall last March/April, when they refused to play him.

Avatar
#85 OldSchool
July 02 2014, 11:27AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Oiler Al wrote:

I think Fedun was a mercy release. No one was going to give up a player for him, so as to give him a chance through a wide open door to latch on to another team.

He is too slow and small for the Pacific Div.

Rumor mill has it that there are "sniffs" on Petry. Is it possible MacT has a bigger fish coming this way? Clearing the decks so to speak.

PS: Curtis Hamilton must have some good pictures of an Oiler honcho., why else would MacT qualify this slug.

"He is too slow and small for the Pacific Div."

-Signed in San Jose yesterday-

Comments are closed for this article.