NATION PLAYOFF POOL UPDATE #7

baggedmilk
June 06 2014 02:52PM

WindingDown

We are, at most, 6 games away from the end of the season and that means the playoff pool is winding down to what looks to be an exciting finish.  Even though I know how much you guys look forward to the weekly updates, the good times can't go on forever. The Stanley Cup Finals are underway and holy hell was Game 1 ever a beauty. The Rangers came out like a house on fire, and as the game went on LA forced their will upon the Rangers. It was a great start to what I hope is a long series. My sole pool survivor, Drew Doughty, scored me a couple points but my terrible draft performance continues.

THE LEADERS

Screen Shot 2014-06-06 at 2.12.41 PM

How the mighty have fallen! One time leader Hemmercules has fallen off the podium and we now have a 3-way tie for 1st place! As of this moment, a gentleman named adam.casty is leading the way with Don't Toews Me Bro and Zamboners *giggles* in near pursuit.  Adam.Casty and DTMB each have 3 LA Kings (Doughty, Kopitar, Carter) on their rosters while Zamboners has the same 3 Kings, as the other two, with the addition of Mike Richards.  Will Mike Richards be the difference between the sweet taste of Internet glory and the bitter shame of defeat? We shall see...

Speaking of defeat, the Cup finals means that we're mere days away from having no hockey to watch. As an Oilers fan, it means that our Stanley Cup (the draft) is just around the corner and we're only a couple months away from thinking we actually have a chance to compete for a playoff spot. The excitement will run through the streets of Edmonton like Pilsner does through Saskatchewan. We will believe, if only for a short while, that we have a chance at being better than the year before. "Maybe this year the team will do something?" we'll say. "Maybe this is the year?" That yearly excitement is what disappoints me most. It's like thinking you're going to score in high school and your date doesn't get anywhere near your zipper.

Please, Stanley Cup Finals, never end...

Screen Shot 2014-06-06 at 2.12.55 PM

Since I know you're wondering how I'm doing, I actually climbed 2 spots this week thanks to the herculean efforts of Drew Doughty. But unless he can somehow rattle off 85+ points in the Finals, I don't think I'm going to win this thing.  If I had a towel, I would throw it in. It's not always easy to admit defeat, but I think my fat lady has sung, died, been buried and turned to flowers.

P.S.

Dear LA Kings,

Can you please tone down how good you are? It's making Oilers fans really uncomfortable knowing that you're in the same division as we are.  If you guys continue playing at this level, it shows that the Oilers are closer to being relegated than they are at making the playoffs.

With that being said, if you guys could turn it down a little bit that would be great. At the very least, if you could just give us Drew Doughty? No? Hello?

*sigh*

-bm

94ea28cbbd0f9fe4153692bb3e38b40c
Twitter tyrant for @OilersNation - Resident Jackass - Poor vessel for carrying milk. Follow me on twitter (@jsbmbaggedmilk) - Instagram (@himynameisbaggedmilk) or email me at baggedmilk@oilersnation.com.
#2 vetinari
June 06 2014, 03:24PM

None of the top three have Rangers??? Well, I guess no one expected them to get through the East with the Pens, Bruins and Canadians standing in the way.

As for the finals, let's get 2014 into the books so we can prepare for the real highlight of the NHL season-- the Entry Draft!!! We own that thing!!!

#3 A-Mc
June 06 2014, 02:58PM

Wow that must be a good feeling for Zamboner! He's basically guaranteed 1st place but will it be shared with 2 others or will he stand alone...???!!!!????..... ?

?

!!??!??????

DUN DuN Dduuuuunnnnnnnn

#4 A-Mc
June 06 2014, 02:59PM

What players does Hemmercules have? Is he out FORSHOAR!?

#7 northof51
June 06 2014, 03:03PM

I, like many others, picked the Kings and Hawks to meet in the West final, but boy did I miss on the East. I haven't had a single player score a point from that conference since the Pens went down. And Gustav fricken Nyquist got me a grand total of 0 points. Thanks Gustav. You suck. At Nation Playoff Pools, that is.

#8 RyanCoke
June 06 2014, 03:09PM

Does no one have anyone from New York? Its still possible they win the cup and whoever has them wins the pool.

#9 Oiler63
June 06 2014, 05:17PM

Can't believe you said the good times can't go on for ever!

My boy Vern finally got into the top ten. My $$ on the "grizzled vets of narnia" to take it all.

#11 Boston Wrong
June 06 2014, 03:31PM

The game and the post season has turned out to be another snore fest. the same old plays, the same old teams, the same old shite refs, the same old same old. How many times can people watch the same thing over and over?

The game has reached a saturation point. It's no longer exciting. there isn't a new thing in hockey which I haven't seen in the last 25 years or more. and this goes for all the big pro sports in N. America. You can only sell so many new cameras before ppl realize that a camera is just another camera and a hockey game is another hockey game. Canada spends all of its sports money on hockey yet none of their teams have won a cup since Bettman arrived. And that Habs win was before Bettman got his owner chums got their tentacles wrapped firmly around the league.

Now that the Leafs bought sock puppet Shanahan they may have a shot at the cup. Ive seen better and fairer competition in a hollywood casting office. The cup will always stay in America because that's where the money is. Canada is no more than a facade front.

Speaking of america folks if you guys ever go down there and get your legs blown off in a terrorist attack, don't worry, the American medics will quickly put you in a wheel chair and sprint you down to a waiting ambulance all while MAKING YOU HOLD YOUR OWN TOURNIQUET.

Now that's standard operating procedure for any medic in America. Just ask anyone in the profession.

#12 RG