100th Annual Nation Charity Draft Party

baggedmilk
June 08 2014 08:11PM

Screen Shot 2014-06-06 at 10.51.04 AM

We're getting close to that magical time of the year when the Oilers are actually relevant! Of course, I'm talking about the NHL entry draft and as usual the Oilers are picking in a lottery spot.  Since yearly failure is as predictable as the the rising sun, we've once again organized a Draft Party for Oiler fans to come and celebrate the garbage fire that is our favourite hockey team. It's that time again, Nation. It's time for us to reap the rewards of another year's embarrassment. As we do every June, we're celebrating at the Pint Downtown and we're raising money for charity.

WHAT'S HAPPENING

whatshappening

An annual Draft Party would likely bring depression and shame to lesser fan bases, but not us Oilers fans.  If the Vancouver had missed the playoffs for the better part of a decade, Canucks fans would be more concerned with what to wear to Wreck Beach than who their "team" would be drafting that summer.  Around the Nation, we're a special breed. We'll support this team until our hearts stop beating and that's a beautiful thing. Smart? Maybe not. Beautiful? Absolutely! For that, we salute you!

Since we're willing to blindly follow one of the worst teams in all of sports, we're throwing a party to celebrate the rewards of another miserable year.  On June 27th, we'll all be gathering at the Pint Downtown and cheering on the next saviour of this team. Some may call it depressing, we call it one of the few bright spots in an otherwise dark existence as Oilers fans. We call it an opportunity to show our support for a team that is as loveable as a punch to the groin.

THE THEME - #ThanksKevin

ThanksKevin

There are only a handful of jobs in the world where so much failure would result in keeping your job. I think of jobs like, the weatherman. Your weatherman can incorrectly predict rainy skies 95% of the time and no one seems to mind. Inspired by the weatherman, the thought of job security reminds us of the state of Oilers management. Not only have the Oilers failed to make the playoffs for thousands of years, they haven't even been in the same ballpark as the playoffs. The Oilers are so far from contending, we wouldn't be surprised if other teams actually started petitioning the NHL to institute relegation.

In the spirit of unparalleled job security, we proclaim the theme of this year's Draft Party to be #ThanksKevin. Not only have ticket prices increased, but we're arguably no closer to making the playoffs than we were in 2008.  It's sad and we're sick of it.  We want to see the hashtag spread throughout social media like nothing we've ever seen before. Flat tire? #ThanksKevin. Missed your bus? #ThanksKevin. Need to get the morning after pill to ensure last night's poor decisions don't affect your bank account for the next 21 years? #ThanksKevin. Say it loud, and say it often.

TICKETS

Screen Shot 2014-06-08 at 8.00.29 PM

Since throwing a Draft Party for the sake of celebrating failure is not only stupid but sad, we're once again donating the proceeds to charity.  If we're going to party for a terrible hockey team, we'd may as well donate the proceeds to charity.  Tickets are $20 and this year the proceeds will be donated equally to the ICCP and the Boys and Girls Clubs Big Brothers Big Sisters of Edmonton.

For each ticket you buy, you'll get a Draft Party t-shirt, a $20 Pint GC, a $10 GC and the knowledge that you've helped us raise money for 2 great causes.  We hope to raise as much money as possible, so we're asking you to abstain from buying those pogs you wanted and come to the Draft Party instead.  Over and above the free stuff, we've got a special guest that will be attending and helping us out with the festivities, and trust me, you'll want to meet her.

Tickets are available here and will be on sale straight through until the date of the party. Thanks so much for the support and we look forward to seeing you there.

94ea28cbbd0f9fe4153692bb3e38b40c
Twitter tyrant for @OilersNation - Resident Jackass - Poor vessel for carrying milk. Follow me on twitter (@jsbmbaggedmilk) - Instagram (@himynameisbaggedmilk) or email me at baggedmilk@oilersnation.com.
#2 book¡e
June 08 2014, 08:24PM

You know, I don't have a problem with you people and your draft lifestyle, but you don't need to be shoving it in my face every time I turn around. You don't see us non draft people writing about how we are not in a draft.

#3 ubermiguel
June 08 2014, 08:46PM
book¡e wrote:

I have had to do a lot of soul searching but I've decided to finally come out as a draft watcher. I've been watching drafts privately with friends since 2006, but this year thanks to the supportive environment of Oilers Nation I feel I'm ready to watch a draft with pride in public.

#4 Drummerbaker
June 08 2014, 08:51PM

Do we support the Oilers, or wait around complaining until they start winning?

#5 Mason Storm
June 08 2014, 08:55PM

Chris Kelly 1st overall. He's due

#6 Hockey Viking
June 08 2014, 09:05PM

Lets be positive folks---might as well for a change-be there and lets will the Oil to choose well-----or-it will be Taking Longer than the pyramids.

#7 Sorensenator
June 08 2014, 09:19PM

I won't be able to stand on draft day, you will have to tell me the next day who we picked

#8 Casey
June 08 2014, 09:58PM

3rd overall pick for Paul Gastaud?(trade suggestion courtesy of David Poile)

#9 Manfly
June 08 2014, 10:50PM
baggedmilk wrote:

YAY DRAFT PARTY, BOO OILERS!

^I will never boo the Oilers, but if they play this coming season as badly as the previous years, I will stop watching the games on TV. I watched every single one the last 5 years without fail, although this past season for the first time ever, I refused to buy tickets. we fans absolutely MUST see some upswing this coming season, and stop letting a mediocre management team get away with making excuses for why we aren't winning.(patience is their favorite one, but that's been over used)

#10 BlazingSaitls
June 08 2014, 11:29PM

"The Earth is losing its ice faster than scientists have predicted. The loss of the white stuff is changing the colour of the planet, accelerating global warming, and could have serious consequences for low lying cities."

#ThanksKevin

#11 Sorensenator
June 08 2014, 11:44PM
Casey wrote:

3rd overall pick for Paul Gastaud?(trade suggestion courtesy of David Poile)

Just terrible

#12 Oilbaron
June 08 2014, 11:51PM

Sweet draft party poster. Who did really build the pyramids anyway?

#13 BlazingSaitls
June 09 2014, 12:13AM
Oilbaron wrote:

Sweet draft party poster. Who did really build the pyramids anyway?

I dont know who was in charge when they were built but Im pretty sure Kelly Buchberger and Steve Smith were assisting him.

#14 #ThereGoesTheOilers
June 09 2014, 06:06AM

#ThanksKevin MADE MY DAY!

#15 Manfly
June 09 2014, 07:17AM
BlazingSaitls wrote:

^you mean Bucky and Smith, the "assistants for life"? the two who have been yet again been given a "vote of confidence" from MacT for their "outstanding" work? after all, it was never their fault this team was losing all these years, even though the players have long since stopped listening to ALL of the coaching staff.

#17 Oilbaron
June 09 2014, 10:10AM
Manfly wrote:

Yep I'm pretty sure that's what he/she meant

#18 Sketchy
June 09 2014, 10:52AM

Are there gonna be participation ribbons handed out too?

#19 ubermiguel
June 09 2014, 11:59AM

I stopped blaming Kevin Lowe this year. I realized the problems really started when Katz bought the Oilers. Kevin did good things in 2006 to get us to the Cup final under the EIG. Then Pronger left and Katz came on board and we tanked. So I can't support #ThanksKevin, but I can support #ThanksKatz.

#21 SmythsMullet
June 09 2014, 12:49PM

DRAFT DYNASTY

#22 ubermiguel
June 09 2014, 02:55PM
baggedmilk wrote:

That's actually a big part of the joke. A lot of fans seem to think firing Lowe would have resulted in a completely different season, at Nation HQ we're not so sure.

Ah ha, I get it now! Like an onion, it has layers.

BTW, I got coffee grounds in my coffee from Starbucks this morning. #ThanksKevin.

#24 Mason Storm
June 09 2014, 03:50PM

Kevin or Daryl aren't calling the shots on this team. We all know the real power belongs to little Katz Jr.

#25 brad
June 09 2014, 04:49PM
BlazingSaitls wrote:

not sure about that,... those ended with successful results.

#26 BlazingSaitls
June 09 2014, 06:08PM
brad wrote:

not sure about that,... those ended with successful results.

Heyy ohhhh!!!

#27 book¡e
June 09 2014, 07:52PM
baggedmilk wrote:

Explaining the joke just ruins it! #thankskevin

#28 @Oilanderp
June 10 2014, 10:50AM

I broke my ankle last week. #ThanksKevin Now I am stuck @home for 6-12 weeks. #ThanksKevin I can't even drive anywhere as my vehicle is a stick and i need 2 feet to do so.#ThanksKevin